• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 8,698 Views, 1,356 Comments

The Winds of Change: Fog of War - AgentSnail



The Griffin war continues, and Dash and Jason are thrust back into action. But with new Griffin threats looming, will they be able to win the war with the same efficiency and skill as they did in the liberation of Canterlot

  • ...
44
 1,356
 8,698

PreviousChapters Next
Irony

Irony

"Morning, where are they?" Jason asked, swiping a hoof in front of the mare's face.

She retreated from her hug, leaving a fair amount of mud on the chests of Dash and Jason. "They're out there, in the forest." Morning replied, pointing. "We need to get back, Tank's hurt real bad." Another tear ran down her face. "He got me out of that building, but-" She choked back a sob. "He broke a bunch of bones that way, and I don't know how to feel about it, I don't want him to die on my behalf."

"Yeah, I know how it feels." Jason replied, as she gave him a quizzical look. "I'll tell you everything, but we need to get our stuff. We'll be back in a minute." He transformed and took off towards their house, buffeting the ground with air and throwing up a fair amount of dust. Dash easily passed him by, an obvious reminder of just how much quicker she was. Usually when he saw her fly, he felt proud of her, ecstatic, even. Jason loved watching her fly, doing what she was known for.

But now, it was just a ghost of it's former glory, eclipsed by the clashing emotions that washed through his head. Morning was alive, Tank was as well, the last time he was seen. But he couldn't shake the feeling of dread, that either Tank was screwed, or that Eravel was still MIA, days after he'd disappeared.

Jason landed with a thud, sprinting inside the cloud house, into the living room where they'd stockpiled the guns and weapons. He put on Dash's armor, followed by the ghillie suit, smiling slightly as he remembered his thoughts from when she died; that she'd never wear it again. And yet here she was, standing in front of him in her almost full set.

"Toss me the pistol." She said, watching as it floated over and she secured it to her thigh, tying the riot shield to her back as well after putting on her saddlebag.

Jason tied on her knives, putting on his own ghillie suit and strapping the AUG to his back. He put on the belt of explosives and magazines, checking the one in his assault rifle to make sure that it had remained full. Dash stuck on her MP helmet and lowered the visor, throwing her other camouflaged helmet to Jason as he quickly strapped it on.

"We good?" He asked, watching as she grabbed a few apples from the kitchen, probably the last of the food they had on hand.

"Yeah, let's get this team back together." She said, straightening the helmet and giving her wings an experimental flap. They stared for a moment, before Jason walked over and kissed her, feeling Dash hum into his mouth. "I love you." She said as he broke the kiss, a goofy grin spreading across his features.

"Love you too." He replied, giving her a peck on the cheek. "And plus, this is just the Everfree. After all the griffins, we can take that on."

"I hate to say this, but you're probably right."

"Plus, we lived there before, I think we can go in there safely."

"Yeah." She replied, looking around for a moment before she galloped through the door and took off, checking that Jason had followed before diving and gaining speed, accelerating right up until she got back to the partially dissipated crowd and landed next to her fellow soldier. Jason followed with a thump, throwing off his disguise as he noticed the other faces that had gathered around.

"You're leaving already?" Lyra asked, looking somewhat scared.

"We'll be back soon, okay? These aren't just soldiers, they're the best, and they're my friends." He said. "As long as you're sure you can defend yourself you're welcome to tag along, but I wouldn't recommend it." None of them seemed to take to the proposition, which was probably a good thing.

"But dad, I don't want you to leave!" Scoots yelled, nudging her way in between Fluttershy and Rarity. He scooped her up, placing the foal on the top of his head as a quiet 'aww' went around.

"Why don't we just bring her?" He asked Dash, who went to reply, before she stopped herself.

"Yeah, she was in the Everfree with us for a while already, right? And we're better armed this time around."

"She knows how to fight, right? At least a little?" Jason asked.

"I taught her, so..." Dash replied, smiling at the filly.

"And she can fly, so that's pretty much everything." He finished.

"You're seriously thinking of taking her?!" Rarity exclaimed. "I would never allow Sweetie to do something so dangerous."

"It's not dangerous, the forest is pretty clear of stuff." He replied, tapping the filly on his head with a hoof. "And she got through it all by herself following us, I'm pretty sure she has some survival instincts of her own, besides the fact that she's got three of the best to protect her."

"And Everfree predators don't tend to travel in groups. Besides the Timberwolves I guess, but that's why we have guns," she said with a grin, tapping the holster on her thigh. "You'd be surprised, the stopping power of just a few ounces of lead. It's like magic, almost. Just point and bang, injury. So maybe it's not that much like magic."

"Can we get going?" Morning urged, one of her wings flopping on her side.

"What's with your wing?" Dash asked, looking rather concerned.

"I dunno, broken, maybe? It's been like that for a few days; it stopped hurting so I left it alone. But if you could fix it..." She trailed off, cringing as Jason lifted the wingtip with a hoof, pushing it out from her body until it got stuck, refusing to move any further. He paused, releasing the tension as he tried to diagnose the problem.

"How much do you want this fixed?" Jason asked after a few moments of silence.

"Is it bad?"

"It fused above the joint here, it's nowhere near healed, but I'll need to re-break it while it's fresh, otherwise it'll be a lot harder to fix later when it could break somewhere else."

"Fine." Morning replied, rolling onto her back and stretching out the wing as far as it went. "Do it." A few gasps circulated around, while Jason put Scoots back down and checked the break again, tapping his hoof a few times to check his mark, before he carefully laid a hoof on the outer part of the wing, pulling his other hoof back and striking at the break. It was an audible crack as the wing fell flat on the ground with a soft whoosh, and a pained whimper escaped her mouth, quickly turning into a long moan as Jason started to mend the bone, reshaping it as best he could.

Rarity made a few noises that made him think she was about to throw up before she trotted away and the bone straightened the rest of the way, healing itself up. Morning flexed the limb after a few moments, flapping it heavily before folding it back against her side.

"Better?" Jason asked, pulling the mare to her hooves.

"Yeah." She replied, stroking along the muddy feathers. "I was getting worried that it might not work anymore."

"How did you know how to do that?" Twilight asked, touching the wing experimentally.

"I just guessed." He replied, shrugging. "I mean, what am I supposed to do, not fix it?"

"You could've made it worse!"

"Yeah, but unlike you, I have second and third chances. I'm not saying I don't want to get it right, but I have a lot of wiggle room." Twilight face hoofed, and Jason heard Dash giggle behind him as he lifted Scoots back onto his head.

"Finally ready to go?" Morning asked, back to her impatient moving, although she at least looked happier than before.

They both nodded. "There's no going back for stuff, so we may as well check that we have everything. And yeah, let's set off. Evening, don't get into trouble while I'm gone, okay?" The filly nodded and Jason resolutely turned towards the forest with the others, checking himself over once more before breaking into a gallop down the partially overgrown path that Morning had come from.

"How far are they?" Jason asked, turning to the mare as she caught up.

"A ways, I'm not really sure. I just know where to go." They lapsed into silence, before Dash eventually spoke back up.

"So what happened? Why are you downed in the forest like this?"

Morning peered over and sighed, pausing a moment to hop over a fallen log. Jason jumped as well, hearing a giggle from Scoots as she bobbed around on his head. "We took almost a whole day just to get out of the city with Tank like he was, then we took a buggy that somepony left on the outskirts, and loaded him inside. Steve got in as well, and I got myself all reigned up."

She sighed again, drooping her head. "But a bunch of griffins followed us, or at least too many for use to shoot down before they cut a few wires. I broke my wing when we landed, and Steve took out the last few, I think. Wings aren't fun to break." She finished, rather matter-of-factly.

"So Steve's still fine?" Dash asked.

"He should be, but that was another day ago." Morning responded.

"So why did you go out, into the forest like this? Wouldn't Steve be better at fighting?"

"Yeah, but I can run from things, Steve has to defend somepony." A tear flopped off her face as her head bobbed again, splattering under her feet. "But I wish I could be the one there." She said quietly, her voice wavering.

"I know how you feel." Jason replied, his own voice low.

"What the hell happened back here?" She asked, slowing her pace ever so slightly and making a turn into a more overgrown part of the forest.

"She died when they used the elements, I had to go back in time and keep her from dying."

"Huh?"

"Pretty cool, huh?" Scoots asked, squeezing a hoof around Jason's horn more tightly. One of Jason's legs slackened and he stumbled, stuttering slightly.

"S-Scoots, don't mess with my horn!"

"Does it hurt?"

"No, it just- don't do it, okay?"

"Can I still hold onto it like before?"

"So long as you don't shift positions too much." He replied. Dash was wearing a rather sultry expression, which he wasn't sure he liked, given the circumstances. "Do you always need to be suggestive, Dash?"

"I get bored. And it's fun, getting you all flustered, even if you're good at not showing it." She replied, giggling as they galloped along. Jason tried to formulate a reply as a pressure hit him in the side, throwing him and Scoots through the trees as a claw dug into his chitin. Jason grabbed the filly out of the air, kicking at the wolf that had attacked him before forming a protective ball around her, rolling a fair distance through a clearing.

"Fly up there Scoots." He whispered into the filly's ear before tossing her upwards, starting to get to his hooves before going flat again, watching the wolf sail over. Jason rolled to his hooves, lunging and burying his knife into the wolf's neck in a smooth motion. He held it there as the animal pawed at him weakly, catching slightly on the ghillie suit.

The body went limp the rest of the way and he levitated it up, pushing through the rather bright blue flowers as he retreated towards Dash and Evening.

"Thanks for all the help, guys." He said sarcastically, glaring between them as Scoots gently landed back on his head and he touched at the filly to make sure she was actually there.

"We couldn't follow you, that's poison joke, Jason!" Dash yelled back, gesturing wildly towards the flowers.

"Poison oak?"

"No, it's like a plant that does something ironic to you. Me and my friends all got it."

"Huh. Must've never seen that ep-" He paused. "How ironic?"

"It shrank Applejack to like... she could fit on my hoof, probably."

"Oh..." He sighed. "It only affects me then?"

"Yeah." Dash said, beginning to walk again.

"How ironic could it possibly be, I mean, it could ironically make things better, but seriously, short of turning me into a real pony, that's not possible."

"Don't underestimate that stuff, as soon as we're done with this we'll have to go to Zecora and get you cured."

"I'm a man, I can take it."

"Now wouldn't that be ironic, turning you into a mare?" Morning asked, spurring a giggle from Scoots and Dash.

"Oh, so terrible. It's not all that bad, I've been a mare before."

"You say that now, mister masculine." Dash replied with a smirk.

"Oh shush, I'm secure." He replied with a chuckle, a laugh that quickly died in his throat as he came to another clearing.

"Huh, well this wasn't here yesterday." Morning said, gesturing to the small cargo plane that was split into two pieces. She stared a moment before sprinting off, wildly yelling Tank's name as she appeared to finally lose her resolve. She looked in the smaller tail section before Steve's voice emanated out of the other side, and she sprinted inside. Jason quickly followed, feeling his stomach turn as Tank came into view.

"Oh my god." He said, looking down at the pony. Tank was swollen nearly everywhere, from the obvious leg breaks to a few ribs and other deep bruises. He was almost afraid to see what it looked like, partially because of the guilt that still hadn't gone away. Why hadn't he been quicker to get here? Maybe he was still under the impression that Tank was invincible, given all the punishment he could take.

In any case, the splints partially holding him together had kept the bones straight, and it wasn't hard to heal them up, melding his skeleton back together. That was the easy part, but as Jason moved closer to his head, things weren't well. A few bumps and jars, that was easy enough. But he could only fix cursory parts of the brain, the areas that he could tell were hurt the worst. Not that it was that bad, maybe a particularly hard fall or collision. Anything in the healed areas that wasn't there in it's near original form, memories and experiences, could be lost. Jason pulled himself out of his task, looking down at the pony again as his breathing became deeper.

"I'm going to warn you now, he may have problems remembering things, but that shouldn't be anything big. So he's not going to wake up and be like 'Morning who?' or anything like that."

Morning snuggled up closer to his body, happily wrapping her hooves as far as they would go around his chest. "As long as I get to hear his voice again."

Steve smiled slightly, tapping his hoof on the bottom of the plane. "So what is this thing?"

"This, my dear ponies, is a small cargo plane." He slid open the door to the cockpit, which was already partially ajar. "And it's empty, which is weird, considering I figured this meant other humans would come over."

"So there's more human stuff in here?" Dash asked, looking around at the boxes, many of which had slid to one side.

"Yeah, but we can go through all that in the morning. It's getting dark, and I don't want to try to move back through the forest with Scoots and Tank, while he's still knocked out like this."

"Tired from all that?"

"More than you'd expect." He replied, shedding his gear and slumping against the curved wall. "I got used to bone stuff, but the hardest think I ever did was when I tried to fix your head that one time." He levitated out the spare blanket he kept in his saddlebag, smiling as Scoots laid against him, giggling as he put an arm over her back. "Come on, Dash." He said, yawning.

"Hold on, you think I want to sleep in this stuff?"

"You've tried before." He replied, smirking as a piece of armor hit his face.

"So what? I like to sleep!" Dash tossed her spare blanket over to the other three, giving Steve a nod as he jokingly saluted. She flopped down as well, drawing a hoof through the filly's mane gently before she placed her head on Jason's shoulder, still looking at the filly as she started to drift off. Maybe she was more tired than she thought...

"I'll get first watch, alright?" Steve asked, moving down the plane with a spear. Jason mumbled something in response, although the second half of his sentence was lost as he fell asleep.

_____________________________________________________________________

Dash opened her eyes again, encountering a scenario she seemed to recognize, although it still looked strange. Jason walked by, looking up at the stars.

"What's going on, Jason?" She asked, watching Scoots filter in next to her.

He shrugged, as her friends and her faded in, along with the princesses and himself. "Well, this is either the first time where you died, or the second time where you didn't."

The elements flared up as a bolt of lightning arced across the ground, followed by a ball that nearly blended into the bright light. Another Jason popped out with the shield, running through the same events at ridiculous speed. So that's how fast he went...

"What?" Dash said, her eyes flitting around to follow the slight shadow.

"Time spell. Pretty cool, huh?"

"Yeah, you could say that..."

Jason started to disappear, and he poked a hoof into his body to check that he was still there. "I think I'm waking up."

"There's no way it's morning yet, right?"

"No, maybe it's my watch?" He asked, not hearing a response as he became conscious to Steve's hoof in his face. Jason groaned slightly, feeling Dash and Scoots stir slightly against him as he got up, grabbing his gun and moving down the plane. He leaned back against a crate, propping the gun up on his knee as he stared outside. His hoof felt a little strange, he realized offhandedly.

Jason yawned, swiveling across the grass. Maybe he fell asleep at some point, but he was awake when Morning tapped him, and he slowly moved back to the bed after halfheartedly telling her to go back to sleep and struggling to get up. He pulled himself next to Dash and passed out almost immediately in his fatigue, something he almost never seemed to do.

___________________________________________________________________

Jason woke up with a slight start, swiveling his head to look at the light streaming in through the cracked windshield. He rewet his mouth and looked down at Dash and Scoots, asleep a ways further down the wall than he remembered. He let his head fall back against the wall, letting a quiet, low clang ring out.

It took him a few minutes to decide to move, although actually putting it into practice was going to be hard. He scratched his leg, shifting it slightly as his fingers left little red marks. Jason's brain turned his head towards one of the boxes before he finally looked back down, examining the nearly complete, four fingered right hand he was used to seeing before all this had come to pass.

Jason wet his lips again, pulling the blanket off himself the rest of the way as he lifted up his other hand and sighed. More complexity, with the one thing he wanted to hide.

"Yup. This is ironic."

Author's Note:

Two people got rid of their down votes, and I'm not sure if this is a software glitch or people reversing their opinions. Either is pretty nice.

For people that didn't read the blog, I will be gone a few times over the summer. One of those, I will have a computer, and will hopefully be able to write, although uploading may be a problem. That's only one and a half to two weeks, but there is a three week thing that I have later, and it's going to be annoying as fuck for me to not write that long. I get kinda itchy (figuratively) when I can't write. I don't want to piss you people off that much. So sorry about the time I'll be gone.

For all those guys that say a ponified human doesn't warrant a human tag, there you go. Ha. Now I have to go write Zecora rhymes, dammit...

PreviousChapters Next