• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 730 Views, 3 Comments

At The Precipice - Teh dr3am3r



How far does vengeance take us? How far will we go to take our revenge? Betrayal finds a life of torment vain, and friendship turns the tides of war once again.

  • ...
1
 3
 730

Prologue : Prophecy

Prologue: Prophecy

A village there was between the forest and the mountain. It was a peaceful village, yet with one abiding fear: a great wolf that had come to live in the forest. None knew when or whence this violent beast had come, yet his howls crept over cobblestone and rang in the rafters, setting the ponies to trembling. Yet the wolf howled not to threaten, but for loneliness. Indeed, he sought the friendship of the villagers, not their flesh.

An alicorn from the mountain came, and saw the wolf, and understood its cry. So she sought to help the beast. "Wolf, do you know why you are feared? It is because your aspect is frightful to us." The wolf asked what he might do to amend this, upon which the mare replied, "Wolf, I shall cast a magic upon you so that you might have the form of a pony." And by the time the winged unicorn finished speaking, the wolf had indeed been transformed. The wolf thanked her, but the mare gave him a warning, saying, "You are a pony only in appearance. Know this: you must never speak, for you are a wolf, and that is the way things should be."

The wolf that walked as a pony left the forest and went into the town. His new face glowed with joy, for now he would have friends. The ponies on the street viewed this stranger with suspicion at first, yet his smile won him their trust and welcome. The wolf was moved by the smiles they returned him, for he had never seen ponies showing anything but fear. Yet he did not speak, for that is the way things should be. So was this a joyous time for the wolf. But soon it grew dark. The wolf returned to the forest, a wolf, no longer a stallion. That night he did not howl, but drifted off to sleep thanking the mare who had given him such a wonderful day. And the alicorn saw the wolf, and was glad.

Listen! A village there was between the forest and the mountain. A peaceful village, for fear was dead, slain by the kind princess whose love and kindness crept over cobblestone and rang in the rafters, easing the villagers' fitful sleep. And the alicorn did not doubt, nor did she cease her song ...until the day the mighty wolves in the sky devoured the sun and moon, and fire rained from the heavens in Ragnarok. For that is the way things shall be.