• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 18,144 Views, 1,183 Comments

Me and Mr. B - Onomonopia

  • ...
35
 1,183
 18,144

The Drill That Will Break These Chains

The elevator came to a stop and Bubbles stepped out of it into what looked to be a large laboratory, with odd machines all around and some sort of electrical device hanging from the ceiling. But none of the interesting machines really grabbed Bubbles attention as he stared with rage at a desk in the center of a room, where a person was sitting in a chair with his back to the Big Daddy.

"So you've finally made it," the voice said, the same voice that had been in the recording and from the radio. "You've caused me some trouble, what with killing some of my better splicers just a few minutes ago. But that isn't of any concern, since now we can meet face to...face." The chair spun around as he said this and Bubbles got to look at the man behind the voice. He was clean shaven with a suit on and he looked like someone who held himself in high regard, despite living in a sunken world full of death. His hands were clamped together on his desk, but Bubbles could see into his eyes. Eyes of a remorseless man who had killed many to get where he was.

Bubbles let out a moan and took a step forward, but a bolt of lightning shot out of the device on the ceiling and struck at the Big Daddy's feet. Bubbles looked up towards the man with red eyes of rage as he rose out of his chair, narrowing his eyes at the Big Daddy in confusion as he began to walk towards him.

"Have we met before?" he asked, Bubbles roaring at him as another bolt shot past him. "I really don't know, all you Daddies look the same to me. So do the little sisters and God knows how many of them I've killed since I've been down here." Bubbles roared again and charged towards the human, ignoring the bolts as he went to drive his drill into his skull. But much to Bubbles shock, the human reached out with his left hand and lifted Bubbles into the air without touching him, before sending him flying across the room with a flick of his wrist. Bubbles slammed into the wall and slid to the floor, where he got back up with a growl. Then he spotted something on the human that made him roar with unbridled fury.

"Wait a second, I know that roar," the human said with a smile as he pulled a collapsible shotgun out from behind him, aiming at the Big Daddy's head with a smile creeping across his face. "Oh yes, I remember setting up these same sights all those years ago. Hello, Mr. Bubbles." He pulled back his sleeves as he said this to reveal two chain tattoos on his wrist. The silver mare realized who this man was as Bubbles allowed fire to crackle along his fist before he sent a torrent of flames toward the human, who used his telekinesis to pull the desk in front of the fires path with a sneer.

"So you managed to come back from the dead only to die at my hands once again," the human said with a smile as his left hand began to flash between multiple plasmids. "Which is interesting because I remember death being permanent. But then again, you might not be the same Bubbles. You could be a similar one from another reality. Oh yes, I know all about those since Elizabeth was kind enough to tell me about them." Bubbles wanted to just drill him in the face right then, but he was wary of the machine above Ryan.

"Yes, many worlds are out there, each with different paths or choices. Whereas I live in a sunken dystopia others live in a city above the clouds. Where I killed you in one reality you're still alive in another, presuming you are the one I killed," Ryan said with a chuckle as he walked down from his desk with a smile. "You know what's funny, Elizabeth told me in one reality I became a Big Daddy to save all the little sisters from this place. The other me must have been more jacked up than the splicers to do that. Because who would want to be one of you?" Bubbles answered with a bolt of ice he shot towards the human before shooting lightning towards the device on the ceiling, sending it crashing down on top of Ryan. Ryan teleported out of the way and reappeared behind Bubbles, smacking him in the back of the helmet with wrench. Bubbles spun around to hit him with his drill, but Ryan was once again gone, replaced by a swarm of insects that lashed at Bubbles

"What's that you have on your back?" he asked as a swarm of insects consumed Bubbles vision, the Big Daddy growling in annoyance as he swatted away at all the insects. "Some sort of bomb? Are you truly trying to destroy the last center of humanity? The last great art piece created by our fathers!?...Can't say I blame you, this place has become a city of the dead. But that is why we shall take the surface world, so that once again humanity can flourish under my rule!" Bubbles took this moment while he was monologueing to send an icicle towards Jack, who caught it with his telekinesis once again. But when he went to fire it back, Bubbles burst through the ice with his drill and drove it into Ryan's left hand, the man screaming in pain as blood sprayed along the floor. He vanished in a cloud, appearing by a health station on the other end of the room.

"I don't remember you being able to do that," he muttered as he healed his wound, flexing his hand as he looked towards Bubbles with a less than friendly glare. "I suppose I have been a gracious enough host long enough. I've killed you before, so it will be easy to do so a second time." Bubbles braced himself as Ryan switched over to a grenade launcher, firing explosives all around the daddy. Bubbles shielded himself from the blasts with his arms, even though he could feel his suit taking damage. With a roar he went to charge Jack, but stopped when he saw the lights all around his feet.

"So, you aren't as stupid as the last time we fought, are you?" Jack asked as he pulled out a crossbow and fired a bolt right into the center of Bubbles helmet, smirking as it exploded and the daddy roared in pain. Bubbles waved away the smoke to reveal that two of his ports had shattered, allowing the gas inside his helmet to start leaking out. "It doesn't matter though. You're a dead man. But then again, that's what you were even before we met." Jack had switched over to his flamethrower at this point and was shooting a column of flame at the daddy, who was trying to counter it with his ice plasmid. "That's what the scientist did to you. They killed the soul of a man then stuck his corpse into a suit, making you into a slave. I was once asked to choose between being a slave or a man and I chose man. But you," Jack said as he pulled out a green, bubbly plasmid. "You have no choice." He threw the plasmid into Bubbles face, causing the Big Daddy to roar as the plasmid began to control him. After a moment the roaring stopped and he looked towards Ryan with green eyes.

"That's a good slave," Jack said as he walked towards the daddy. "Now then. Kneel." The Big Daddy did as he asked, getting down onto one knee as Ryan smirked, but the smirked vanished as he noticed a small doll on top of the daddy. "What do we have here?" he asked as he plucked the doll from the top of Bubbles head. "Some sort of doll? Don't tell me that the ponies up there actually think of you than anything more than a monster? If they are that foolish, then they shall be easy to conquer." He threw the doll onto the ground as he said this and stomped on it, grinding it into the floor with his boot. And all the while he did this, he never noticed Bubbles eyes slowly changing from green to yellow to red. He may have been under the control of the plasmid, but what he saw in all those eyes was a splicer that was crushing a token of love from his little Dinky. And he didn't like it.

"RRRRRRRRRR!" he roared as he lunge onto Ryan off of his knee, taking his drill and driving it at full rotation into the leg of the man, who screamed in pain as the drill tore through the bone. He fired another shot of the green plasmid into Bubbles face, only to watch with horror as the eyes remained a crimson red. Bubbles picked up Jack with his right hand and threw him across the room, gently picking up the ripped doll before stalking towards Jack with venom in his eyes.

"Alright monster, that is enough!" Ryan roared as he pressed a button on his grenade launched, blowing off a number of vents covers. An evil smile crossed his face as spider splicers began pouring in from all of them, all looking towards the Big Daddy with greed in their eyes. "That Daddy has a little sister! Kill him and it is yours!" The splicers all shrieked at the thought of the plasmid in her and all rushed Bubbles, who struck down the most eager with a blow from is drill. But the numbers quickly got the better of him and he was swarmed by the splicers to the point where he couldn't move. Jack laughed at his pain and began to fire grenades into the cluster of splicers, killing them as he tore pieces of armor off of the daddy.

"You really thought you could walk into MY home by yourself and kill me?" Ryan asked with an insane laugh, throwing in some fire plasmid along with the grenades. "You're just one Big Daddy! I've killed dozens of you by myself! And yet you believed that you could finish me by yourself! I took everything this city could throw at me and survived, becoming the top of the top! And when the people above tried to stop me when I invaded, I destroyed their world! I stand tall over a mountain of corpses that became my staircase to the throne. And all you've done is failed to protect a freak of nature. How can you beat me?!"

Bubbles heard his words as he tried to shake off all the splicers, but there were too many for him. Not to mention that he could feel himself starting to bleed out from all damage done by the grenades. The spider splicers also tore into him with their hooks and he could feel them tearing into his skin and through his armor, puncturing his innards. With his vision starting to go in and out, it took a great deal of strength for him to throw of a splicer on his left arm. Then he looked at his hand to realize that he was still holding onto Dinky's doll, a doll that she had given to him while telling him,

'As long as you have this, then I’ll be with you. All of your family will.' Bubbles clenched his fist over the doll as he could feel the power flowing through him, not the power of rage but an emotion that he had not felt in its truest form for years. Love. It wasn't his love for Dinky, but instead her love for him. The love that no other had shown him. With that power flowing through him, he roared and threw all of the splicers off of him, letting loose another roar that shook the entire chamber to its core. The splicers that hadn't been killed got up and rushed Bubbles again, but this time he braced himself. He knew that he was not alone this time, that there were those back home that supported him. Dinky, Berry, Ditzy and all the other ponies who had come to call him friend. He had his friends, his family and all those who depended on him to stop this foe. All of those who he was truly loyal to. And with them on his side, he would not lose.

"Kill him!" Ryan roared as the splicers once again dog pilled Bubbles, but this time they were blasted off by an explosion of white light that disintegrated all of the splicers that were on him. Ryan staggered back as he looked upon Mr. Bubbles, who was now glowing with a white light, a golden shoulder pad on his shoulder that had a grey drill in the center of it. The Big Daddy looked down at himself with awe, but nowhere near the level of awe that the silver mare held.

'He called upon its power,' she whispered to herself with sheer amazement in her voice as she backed away. 'He...he summoned the Element. But none of the other heroes could...'

"What...kind of power is this?" Jack asked as he raised a hand towards the golden aura, but placing his hand near the light caused it to burn with a pain far greater than fire.

'He cannot even get close to it. It's power is poison to one as evil as him.' Bubbles only spent a moment looking at his new color scheme before he turned towards Ryan, his white eyes glowing with power as he gazed at his foe.

"Where did you get this power?! Why has it chosen you over me?!" Bubbles said nothing in response. Instead, he simply raised his drill and began to spin it.

"This means nothing! You still can't-" His words were cut off as Bubbles let loose a roar of rage before driving his drill into the floor, causing a shockwave that blew the human off of his feet and to the ground. As he struggled back up, Bubbles rushed towards him at unbelievable speeds, driving his drill right through Jack's stomach. Jack coughed up blood before vanished, reappearing in front of the health station once again. But as he accessed it, he found to his dismay that instead of healing him, it poisoned him.

"What the?" he asked weakly before being slammed into from behind, Bubbles picking him up and throwing him across the room. "Why didn't it...?"

'It seems that somepony went and hacked the health station,' the silver mare said to herself with a smirk. 'Now I wonder who did that?' Bubbles didn't care as he dashed over and picked up Ryan by his throat, holding the human out in front of him.

"This changes nothing," he spat as the blood continued to drain from him. "You'll never make it out of this city in time. You'll die before-" Bubbles had enough of his talking and threw him onto the ground, waiting until he had almost got up before throwing him into the air and driving his drill straight through his chest, spinning him around until the screams had stopped. Bubbles threw the carcass of the great ruler to the side before letting out a roar of victory, a roar that terrified any splicer around him and caused them to flee for their lives. The golden light faded after he did this, leaving Bubbles to collapse to the ground with pain. His vision was dimming due to the lack of blood and he could barely feel anything, but he knew that he had to finish this. So as he dragged himself to his feet, he followed the white arrow one last time to the machine behind Ryan's desk, which was the power source to everything in Rapture.

'I was wrong about you,' the silver mare said as he knelt down in front of the machine and pulled the bomb off of his back, placing it on the ground. 'You are more than a monster. Deep down, you are greater than some of the heroes I have met.' Bubbles gave her a weak annoyed moan before he primed the bomb, finding out that the timer had been damaged and could no longer be used. The only thing that could set off the bomb was a manual detonation. 'You don't have to do it. You could still get out of here. With Jack dead, Rapture will collapse upon itself. I can get you out of here.'

Bubbles thought about taking up that offer, but then he thought of what would happen if Rapture did resurface again. More ponies would die, more pain would be wrought and Dinky might be in danger. So as he pressed down on the button, the silver mare nodded sadly

'Remember what that splicer said?' the silver mare asked him as she motioned to the corpse. 'A man chooses and a slave obeys? Well he left out what a father does. A father...protects. Thank you, Mr. Bubbles.' The silver mare vanished as she said this, figuring that the magic bomb might be enough to do her in. So Bubbles sat there alone, with his finger pressed down on the device that would kill him. Not he knew that he wasn't truly alone, the doll that sat next to him told him so. Dinky would always be with him and he would always be with her, in spirit. So as he pulled his finger away from the detonator and saw the timer hit zero, he knew that she and the rest of his family would be safe. And he was content.