• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 18,209 Views, 1,183 Comments

Me and Mr. B - Onomonopia

  • ...
35
 1,183
 18,209

Return to Rapture

A week had passed since the meeting with the princesses and the pair of Dinky and Bubbles had spent it mostly thinking about what would happen when the princesses finally did decide to come calling on Mr. Bubbles. But Dinky on Friday she could only think about one thing as she ran around on the backstage of a giant set, her nerves getting the better of her while Applebloom tried to calm her down.

"Look Dinky, there's nothing to this," she said as calmly as she could, but that didn't stop the grey filly from panicking. "All you have to do is go out there and talk. No magic, no acting: nuthin'. Just let the three of us handle the rest."

"But what if something goes wrong?!" she half yelled, causing the giant metallic tree behind her to moan with concern and a drill punched its way through the cardboard that had been set up all around him. "Something like that?!" Scootaloo sighed in frustration as AB tried to calm Dinky down, wondering how this had gone from an easy day to difficult a difficult one. While she and the other members of the CMC owed Dinky and Bubbles for their help last week, she wished that AB hadn't offered to let them join their play. Re-enacting Rainbow Dash and the other Elements victory over the changelings was hard enough without the giant monster.

"Can we get a move on? The play starts in few minutes!" she yelled at the two of them, AB and Dinky both looking at her before they both sighed. "Come on now, we need to get this done."

"I agree," Sweetie Belle said as she came onto the stage, looking like the spitting image of a little Rarity. "We've been practicing for weeks! And since our other Twilight got sick, we needed you to fill in. You remember your lines, right?" Dinky gave her an embarrassed smile that caused all three of the CMC to sigh. In the chairs on the other side of the curtain, Ditzy sat next to the Apples and Sweetie Belle's parents, who had their cameras ready for when their little foal was on stage.

"I can't believe that Dinky is doing this," Ditzy muttered to herself. "A few weeks ago she would have never had the courage to stand on stage in front of a crowd full of ponies. How the times change."

"Well, she has a metal guard with her at all times now," Sweetie's father said with a smile as he fiddled with the camera. "That would be a huge ego boost to anypony. Plus, she has such a wonderful mother that has supported her through all this time." Ditzy smiled at the praise, but began to wonder if he was right in saying that Bubbles was the source of her newfound courage. Dinky had always been an explorer, but she had never really begun to talk to other foals her age until he had entered the picture. She heard his moan from her seat and thought about how quickly things had changed in the past weeks...and how grateful she was that he wasn't the monster they thought he was.

'When he first showed up, I thought he was trying to take Dinky from me,' she thought to herself as the lights began to dim. 'But after seeing the other Daddy that attacked town, I'm glad we got this one. I just wonder what makes him so different from all the others.' She didn't have long to ponder this as the lights went completely out and a giant spotlight shown on the stage, where a nervous little colt came out and began to speak, telling the tale of when the changelings attacked.

"I just wish ma Applejack could be here to see this," Granny Smith said next to Dinky. "But with her Element duties and all, she has to be off in Canterlot talking to the princesses. Girl always works herself so hard." A pony behind Granny shushed her and immediately found out why nopony did that while the curtain rose and revealed the ponies in the play. On the right were the Elements, consisting of Dinky (Twilight), Sweetie (Rarity), Scootaloo (Rainbow Dash), AB (AJ), Pumpkin Cake (Pinkie and who also got the best reaction out of the crowd) with Fluttershy's stand in being too shy to get on stage.

'Glad to see those two got what they deserve,' Ditzy thought to herself as she saw that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were the changelings, with Snips and Snails as the backups. The play continued with botched lines and stammering actors, but the parents all seemed to be having a good time, but Ditzy could see that one of the trees in the background occasionally moved and she quickly figured what had become of Bubbles. The same Bubbles was watching the foals play fight on the stage with some interest since he had never seen any of his little sisters act this way and they were the only children he remembered being around. But he still enjoyed being there as the play went on, right up until the point where a blast of silver went off on the stage and all of the foals shrieked along with the audience. Bubbles tore off the tree and rushed forward to see the silver mare standing there, looking up at him with a hooded face.

'The princesses need your help,' she said to him as she quickly began to glow. Bubbles reached out and grabbed Dinky before the light consumed the both of them, where they vanished much to the shock of the crowd and ponies on the stage. Ditzy's first response was to fly onto the stage to search for her daughter, but at that point her daughter and Bubbles had been transported to a beach far away from Ponyville, where they appeared in a flash of light. Bubbles looked around to realize that it was the beach that he had woken up upon, but he quickly turned towards the mare with drill spinning. 'Down there,' the mare said before Bubbles could attack her and he when he turned all thoughts of killing her left his mind. On the beach were the two princesses, fighting off what looked like a massive swarm of splicers.

"Bubbles, you have to-!" Dinky began before Bubbles went charging into the fray, impaling one splicer on the end of his drill before beating another one to death with said splicer. His fist crackled with lightning that he sent flashing into the rest of the splicers, watching as the lightning leapt from splicer to splicer in a chain. With all of them stunned, all it took was a snap of his fingers to set them ablaze and ending the fight. Celestia and Luna made sure that the splicers were all dead before they walked over to Bubbles.

"Thank you for coming to our rescue," Luna said with a bloodied smile as she looked at Bubbles. "But how did you get here so quickly?" Bubbles looked back at where the silver mare was only to find that she was gone, leaving him to shrug in his defense. Celestia sighed at this, but thanked him as well as she walked over to Dinky.

"The two of you must come. We have much to discuss," she said as she pulled Dinky onto her back and took to the skies, with a Bubble's carrying Luna not far behind her.

===K>

"As we have told the six of you, there have been a number of humans...splicers that have surfaced in the past week," Celestia said to the Elements of Harmony, who looked at the princesses with amazement as they heard this story. "And with each new appearance only comes more death and pain."

"So what do we do?" RD asked as she took up a fighting stance. "Beat them whenever they show up? Trap them in stone?"

"The Elements of Harmony will do nothing," Celestia said, causing the Elements to look at her with confusion. "A plan has already been formulated and has been left to Bubbles to complete."

"And what plan is that princess?" Rarity asked.

"That plan...is to have Bubbles destroy Rapture, once and for all," she said with hidden regret. The ponies all gasped at this and began to voice their own opinion, which made Celestia's decision even harder on her.

"But aren't there living creatures down there?"

"The humans should be allowed to speak for their actions!"

"We just can't-"

"That is enough," Luna said in a calm voice that silenced them all. "You may think that these humans are sentient beings, but my sister and I have fought them three times now and each time we saw the same thing, a desire, an obsession with killing all in their sight. We have tried reasoning with them, we have tried force, but each time we were met with the same actions. Only our deaths would satisfy them." The Elements looked aghast at what Luna was saying, but her tone made it clear that she wasn't joking. "I wish this were no so, but it is. So we have only one option left and that is to defend ourselves. And we will attack first."

"But princess, I thought you said that Rapture had been lost to time?" Twilight asked. "Have you found it?"

"No Twilight, but we have the next best thing," Luna said as she pulled down a tarp to reveal the newer bathysphere, which was prepped for launch. "This has a beacon in it that will lead it down to Rapture. But it is the only working one we have and Bubbles will be going down alone."

"Alone?" Dinky spoke up, turning all heads towards her. "You're not going with him? But what if he needs help? What if-?"

"Dinky, we know what we are asking you is hard, but you must understand...we lost a village by the seas to the splicers two days ago," Celestia said with bitter remorse. "By the time my sister and I got there they had already gutted most of the ponies there. They are mostly immune to pain and are so far out of their minds that only death stops them. And there is a city full of them down below the surface. Bubbles has asked to do this alone and we need to act now." Dinky could see the fear and worry in Celestia's eyes and knew that she was at the end of her rope, so with a sigh she agreed with what she was saying.

"The reason my sister and I brought the six of you here is incase Bubbles fails," Luna continued on. "For if he does, then Equestria can expect to be at war very soon. And the ponies of the land will look to its heroes for comfort and strength. That is why none of you are going." The Elements grumbled to themselves, but none of them disagreed with the two who looked back to Dinky again. "With everything prepared, all that is left is for my sister and I to get the sphere to the edge of the water. From there it will do the rest. It will probably take a day, so spend that time with your family...and him." Dinky looked up a Bubbles, who gave her a gentle moan to let her know that it would be fine.

"We'll take you home," Luna said softly, kneeling down for Dinky, but she climbed up Bubbles legs and rested on top of his head. Luna smiled slightly at this and once again placed Bubbles within the sphere, taking the two of them back to their home.

===K>

"...And tomorrow he heads downs into Rapture to put a stop to the human once and for all," Dinky finished, looking across the table at the stunned faces of her mother and Berry, who had no idea what to say.

"And you're alright with this?" her mother eventually asked. "You're fine with Bubbles heading down to Rapture where he might die?"

"No," Dinky said with fear before she looked up at Bubbles. "But it isn't my call to make. If he feels like this is something he needs to do, then I won't...or can't stop him." Berry looked at the Big Daddy with a new sense of respect while Ditzy looked at him with fear in her eyes. Dinky had lost one father already, but what had saved her from the full force of the pain was that she hadn't been born yet. But if he were to lose Mr. Bubbles...she didn't know how Dinky would react.

"So then, tonight might be the last night we have together with him," Berry said as she stood up. "Is there anything that you want to do before tomorrow?" Dinky thought about it for a moment before she ran up the stairs and came back down a moment later with a book in her grasp, which she gave to her mother before running to the couch.

"Can we read this story one last time?" she asked her mother, letting out a small yawn. Ditzy looked down at the book with a sad smile, knowing that this had been the first book that her husband had bought for their daughter. Ditzy sat down on the couch and opened the book, Bubbles sitting down next to her while Berry took her usual spot on the floor.

"The story of the Knight and the Dark Dragon," Ditzy began as Dinky rested her head on Ditzy's lap. "Once upon a time there was an evil dragon that flew over the land, where he cast down a fog of smoke upon the land. The ponies hated this smoke, since it prevented them from seeing or growing their crops. The princesses could do nothing to stop the dragon due to a spell that kept out all magical beings. The dark days would have continued indefinitely. But, a brave pony in a suit of armor galloped to the lair of the dragon and stood his ground against the beast, prepared to drive it out of the land.

"Oh ho, what do we have here?" the dragon said. "A single pony thinks that it is a match for me alone?"

"I am not alone," the brave pony said back. "With me are my friends, my family and all those who need me to stop you. And with them on my side, I cannot lose." The dragon laughed at this and breathed fire at the single pony, but much to his surprise the flames did not stop the pony, as his armor and the love of those who believed in him prevented him from being burned. The pony jumped onto the dragons head and lassoed his mouth shut, believing that he had won. But then the dragon's mouth began to burn with flames and..." Ditzy looked over at Dinky to see that she was fast asleep. Ditzy smiled and closed the book, gently picking her up and placing her on the leg of Mr. Bubbles, who watched as Ditzy turned towards her room.

"You'd better come back," she said to him over the snores of Berry. "You're part of this crazy family now and even if it kills you, you have to come back. For her." Bubbles looked down at the sleeping filly who had a thin smile on her face, conflict within his soul for the first time. He knew that he had to protect her, that he cared for her...but he wasn't sure that once he was in Rapture, he would be able to escape once again. And if she was down there...

Bubbles didn't notice Ditzy head back up the stairs, but he was aware of the fact that a silver light filled up the room once she had left.

'Tomorrow is the day of decision, Mr. Bubbles,' the silver mare said to him in her normal mystical voice. 'Will you shatter the chains that still hold you at the bottom of the sea for her? Or will you be dragged back down to the depths that I found you in?' Bubbles never answered as she vanished, but he did wonder what she was talking about before he drifted off a bit. In his dream, he saw Dinky sitting on the ground in front of him, looking ahead with a blank look. But when he went to go to her, a giggle came from behind him and he turned to see his little girl standing behind him looking away from him.

'So which will you choose?' the voice of the mare said. 'Where do your loyalties lie?'

===K>

The sea. He had spent all of his rememberable life under the sea, so to be looking at it from above still made him nervous even though he knew that his suit could survive the pressure. Dinky stood beside him looking out at the sea while the princesses behind him attached the weapon to his back carefully while explaining how it worked to him.

"Now remember, once you push this button you will have only thirty minutes to get back to the surface," Luna said as she set the timer. "This is a combination of human tech and our own, so it will be hard for the splicers to mess with it. All you have to do is plant it in the heart of Rapture and then get out of there. Simple." If Bubbles could laugh he would have as he felt the extra weight before turning to look at the princesses, each of whom looked at him with uncertain eyes.

"Bubbles, if you do not wish to do this, then one of us can," Celestia offered, but Bubbles groaned and held out a hand. He then turned to the open bathysphere in front of him and gazed into it, knowing that this sphere would take him back to Rapture. Would take him home. "It's ready for you, whenever you are ready." Bubbles nodded and took a step forward, but Dinky stopped him before he could enter.

"Bubbles...I want you to take this with you," she said as she held up a small doll for him. it was a small pony with grey hair and tiny wings, looking like Ditzy. "My dad made this for me before I was born. Mom says that as long as I had it, my family would be with me. As long as you have it, then I'll be with you. All of your family will." Bubbles felt something in his chest as he reached down to gently take the doll from her, gently placing it in between the bars on the top of his helmet. Then with one last gaze at her he stepped into the waves where he could get inside of the bathysphere and pulled the lever, watching as the door closed behind him. He watched Dinky through the window until the sea had completely swallowed him. the sphere then turned around and he looked out the window into the depths, where Rapture lay.

'Allow me to help speed up your journey,' a voice in the sphere's radio said as the sphere began to go at a much faster speed. Bubbles could barely make sense of what was going on outside of the sphere as everything rocketed by is a swirl of silver, until the lights told him where he was. 'Rapture.' It didn't look like it had changed a day. All the lights were still on, all the buildings still there. But it was a dead city; the residents just hadn't realized it yet. His sphere caught onto one of the guidance rails and brought him into a building marked Proving Grounds. Once inside, the sphere opened up to reveal a small emergency bathysphere exit that the section had, but now it was his entrance. So as he stepped out of the sphere into what was his old grounds, it was ironic as it was fitting that one message played on his radio.

'Welcome to Rapture.'