• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 3,115 Views, 469 Comments

When I Cry - Brony Hectic



When a new colt moves to Ponyville in the beginning of summer he quickly finds trouble with some delinquents and quickly finds what he might call love.

  • ...
25
 469
 3,115

Shadows in the Moonlight

Edited by "NightShader". Proof read by "TexPony"


Dim Shadow, still keeping a safe distance from Silver Spoon, followed her to wherever she intended on taking him. They were walking down the hallway that led to the stairs, Dim Shadow looked at his surroundings. Not much was to be said about the hallway other than a few framed paintings and a fire extinguisher resting on the wall.

“So, where are we going and what are we gonna do when we get there?” he asked.

“Who knows?” Silver Spoon responded.

“Didn’t you just get done saying there was oh so much to do here?” Dim said with sarcastic enthusiasm.

Silver Spoon paused and turned around, obviously annoyed. “Look here, if you’re gonna be here for the night, at least try not to be a smart mouth.”

“Yeah, I’ll try.” Dim rolled his eyes. “But honestly, what are you gonna do?”

“I told you-”

Suddenly a shadow loomed over Silver Spoon, she looked up at saw it was none other than her father, Porcelain Spoon, with a stern look on his face. “Silver… may I take your new friend aside for a moment?” he asked with clear discontent.

“Why of course, father,” Silver tone changed from snarky and sassy to a more proper sounding one. “I’ll head downstairs so you may talk in private.” Silver said before heading down the hallway to the stairs. Please do not anger my father, you loud mouth. She thought to herself.

Porcelain watched his daughter disappear down the staircase to whatever level of the house she chose to go to. Once she was out of sight he looked down upon Dim Shadow, his brow narrowed. "Who are you, and how do you know Silver?” he asked.

“My name is Dim Shadow, I moved here a couple days ago. Silver Spoon and her pink friend met me at the school’s park the day I moved in and the two of us just clicked.” Dim lied to Silver’s father’s face.

“Okay… and did you get either mine or Silver’s mom’s permission before having a sleepover here?” Porcelain asked, still staring down and not breaking eye contact with Dim.

“We didn’t plan on having a sleepover, Mr. Spoon. Silver wanted me to come over and a really bad storm started. I’m sorta trapped here until the storm passes by.”

Porcelain scoffed, offended. “What do you mean ‘trapped’? Is our home not up to you standards?”

“You know that's not what I meant!” Dim said back at him.

“Excuse you!” Porcelain exclaimed at Dim’s remark.

“Excuse ME?!” Dim put a hoof to his chest. “Excuse-” Looking behind Porcelain, Dim caught Silver Spoon motioning her hoofs left and right and mouthing “No” repeatedly. She did not look too amused with what Dim was saying.

“You’re right,” Dim cleared his throat, “excuse me. That was rather out of line on my part. I didn’t mean trapped in a negative manner, I meant it, simply, as in I currently have no where else to go at the given moment. And your home goes above and beyond all other homes I have seen in this town.” Dim’s quickly changed tone and attitude surprised Silver and Porcelain. Dim looked down the end of the hallway at Silver Spoon with a ‘What do you think of that?’ look. Silver sighed then gave a sarcastic slow clap without letting her hooves touch.

“Hmm, I forgive you. For I too can lose my composure at times. I shall allow you to stay and you may be friends with my daughter, but that is it, just friends and nothing more. Do you understand, little one?”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about that, Mr. Spoon.”

“What do you mean?” Porcelain raised a brow.

Here we go again. Dim thought. “I mean I do not like your daughter in that way.” Dim sighed, annoyed.

“Why? Is she not up to your standards, like my home?!” Mr. Spoon yelled, echoing in the hallway.

“I’m not doing this again.” Dim simply stated before walking past Porcelain Spoon with a half eyed expression. Silver swiftly ducked down as her father turned around and watched Dim Shadow pass, not wanting to get caught eavesdropping.

Porcelain grumbled to himself before heading to another area of the house, not wanting to deal with a rude colt after a long week of business work. He wouldn’t forget about this and would deal with it later.

Dim Shadow approached the staircase, a few steps down Silver Spoon was crouched down. “I cannot believe you just did that! How dare you disrespect my father!” she shouted.

“Disrespect your father?! He was being annoying and misrepresenting what I was saying! I bet he was doing it purposely too! I can’t deal with that.” Dim responded.

“Well deal with it. You can’t just do that to new ponies you meet, especially the elite of society such as my father.” Silver scorned.

“You telling anypony about how to interact with other ponies? Okay, Miss ‘Get five ponies to beat me up.’ Whatever, Miss ‘Make fun of everypony else.’ Sure-” Dim was interrupted.

“Do not say another word you dolt! Do not speak to me unless I give you permission. And do not speak to anypony in this house unless you are spoken to. I will not let you speak down to my family or me.” the silver filly gritted her teeth as she spoke to the dark grey colored colt. “Follow me.”

You'd complete me. Dim though after hearing Silver stand up to him. So assertive, so pretty, doesn’t take any down talk from anypony. Perfect. Dim visibly cringed a few moments after he thought positivity of Silver Spoon’s traits . Why? Why am I thinking these things? Did she do something that I didn’t notice? No way, I would have noticed had she done anything to make me like her like this. J-Just remember all those horrible things she’s done. Even if she is pretty, that doesn’t redeem anything about this pony. And Sweetie Belle, I must stay loyal. Nothing Silver could say, nothing she could do, would make me betray Sweetie.

Dim was snapped out of his thought by Silver Spoon clapping her hooves in front of his eyes. “Come on you idiot, snap out of it. This is the second or third time that’s happened to you today. Now, follow me.” she said, irritated. As she turned around she whipped the tip of Dim’s nose with the end of her tail.

“Hey!” Dim exclaimed, rubbing his nose.

The two descended down the staircase to the second floor of the large home. Dim watched Silver Spoon as she walked down the stairs, admiring the way she walked down the stairs. She wasn’t trying to move in any particular fashion, she was simply walking and thinking. Dim Shadow was too just walking and thinking, but what he was thinking about concerned him.
There is something wrong with me. he thought to himself as he unconsciously smiled at Silver Spoon.

Silver Spoon glanced behind her without Dim Shadow noticing. I guess the poison is working, he’s smiling like an idiot. I should probably do something to make it work faster. Silver Spoon paused just as they reached the second floor. She turned around with a small, very friendly smile. “Wanna watch a movie?” she said happily.

Dim Shadow stopped and stared at Silver Spoon, not speaking. Both of them looked at each other, but Silver was the only one who was confused. She dropped her smile, “Hello?” she waved a hoof in front of his eyes. “Oh, I get it.” she rolled her eyes. “You can speak.”

“No, absolutely not, she-devil. What are you trying to get me into? Do you want something? Do you need another hug?” Dim questioned. “Because I’m all for hugs. Do you want to hug? Lets hug.” Dim held a hoof outward, hoping for embrace.

Silver Spoon was taken back a bit. She was surprised to see this reaction, even though she was trying to get him into a semi-romantic situation. Could he see right through her and was simply making fun of her? Or was the poison working? How could he go from condescending to affectionate that quick?

“I’m not falling for that. You’re obviously trying to make fun of me. Are you having emotional trouble? Wouldn’t surprise me, seeing as who you are. Do you need a hug?” Silver Spoon extended her hoof outward.

“No, if you want a hug, you’re coming to me. Hug me.” Dim Shadow said, hoof still extended.

“Did I say you could speak? YOU come here.” Silver Spoon leaned forward.

“I don’t take orders from you. Come here and hug me!” Dim responded by also leaning forward, and narrowed his eye brows.

“No! HUG ME!” Silver Spoon yelled at him.

“No you!” Dim retorted.

“You are going to get into my hooves and you are going to like it!” Silver exclaimed.

The two then got into an unnecessarily violent yelling competition, demanding one hugs the other. After a while, the two were still shouting at one another in the same position, hoof extended and leaning forward. Nopony actually gained any ground in this insightful battle of wits. After a while of insults and “No you!”s, Dim Shadow paused, wiping the angered expression off his face to a much calmer and relaxed one and walked over to Silver Spoon and wrapped a hoof around her neck and nuzzled her a bit. She lost her angry look once Dim made contact with her. The hug only lasted a few seconds before he stopped and looked in her eyes.

“Happy?” he asked, removing himself from from Silver Spoon.

Silver replied with a smug grin. “Very.”

"I only hugged you because I was worried that the friction between us would create a thunder cloud and scare you to Tartarus."

Silver pushed Dim. "I told you not to talk about it!"

Dim pushed back. “There’s nopony around, don’t get your cutie mark in a twist!” he chuckled.

Angry, Silver Spoon jumped on Dim and pinned him down. “I said do not talk about it!" she shouted in Dim’s face. Silver held him down and leaned in to the point where their noses were barely touching. An angered Silver Spoon stared into the eyes of a smiling Dim Shadow who let out a little laugh. “What’s so funny?”

“I was just thinking, you’re really, um, uh,-” don’t say nice, don’t say pretty, don’t say cute. “you’re really nice.” Dang it.

“What do you mean? Are you setting me up for a joke?” she tilted her head to the right.

I gotta cover this. “Nicely… mean?”

They both continued to look at each other, Silver unamused. “You’re an idiot.” she removed herself from him. “I’ll ask again, do you want to watch a movie to pass the time? It’s not like we have much time before we have to go to bed.”

“Why do we have to go to bed at… whatever time you’re thinking of?” Dim asked.

“The accursed ‘bedtime’ as my parents put it. I consider most of it beauty rest.”

Dim just looked at Silver Spoon You need beauty rest? I think you’re doing just fine. he thought. “I need my beauty rest too, can’t look this good without a little effort.” Dim joked.

Silver laughed. “I’d say you need to put in more work then.”

“Hey, lay off.” Dim smiled.

The two let out a small chuckle before Silver led Dim to the small home theater the Spoon family owned. It was a nice, relaxing thing for anypony to come and visit on occasion. At maximum it could fit about eight ponies and came fit with comfy recliner chairs. And of course it had a popcorn machine not too far from the little theatre.

After the expected bickering between the two ponies, they decided on a rather long movie but wouldn’t extend past the time Silver had to got to bed, which would be the same time Dim would have to rest as well. Surprisingly enough the two made it through the majority of the film without any problems.

“I’m sorry Candle, but I cannot love you, for there is another.”

“Limedrops, don’t tell me…”

“It had better not be Plum!” Silver said softly, but sounding loud due to the quiet environment. Small tears had formed in the corners of her eyes, Silver had gotten really into the movie.

“Plum is the only one who has grabbed my heart in such a way that I have never felt before. I am so sorry, Candle.”

“Limedrops, you broodmare!” Silver yelled at the screen as tears slowly ran down her face.
“Plum is only using you! He doesn’t care about you!”

“Calm down, Silver Spoon.” Dim said. “It’s just a movie.”

“J-just a movie? It’s more than that! It’s a story! One with an unhappy ending, there’s too much bad stuff that needs to be resolved before the end of the movie and there’s only a few minutes left.” Silver whimpered.

“Well just because it doesn’t have a happy ending doesn’t mean its bad. If it were to suddenly fix everything right now it wouldn’t make sense. I think we can all learn a thing from unhappy endings.” Dim wisely put.

“All I know is sadness.” she stared at the floor.

“But, what about the bank papers?” Candle asked. “How could you still love him?”

Silver’s attention was brought back to the screen.

“What do you mean?” Limedrops asked.

“He’s been eating away at your bank account to fund his own company! Haven’t you seen them?”

“He told me he was investing it into the companies we agreed upon!” she exclaimed. “I could get all this money back in a moment!” Limedrops continued to read the bank statements. “And my sister didn’t abandon me! She’s on a paid vacation using money Plum took from my account! Oh my gosh!”

“Its okay Limedrops, I’m here for you!”

“Oh, Candle!"

“Oh, Limedrops!”
*the two ponies kissed as the screen fades to black and credits roll..*

Silver wiped away her tears and smiled at the screen with hope, while on the other hand, Dim was left mouth agape with a large disappointed frown at the sudden fix of everything.

“That was stupid!” Dim yelled as the screen faded to black as the credits rolled. He put a hoof to his forehead as he processed the stupidity of the movie’s end. While Dim was in his chair, Silver Spoon was bouncing around the room in glee; thankful that she got the happy ending she had thought she lost.

“You know how dumb this makes the movie, right?” Dim inquired.

"Yeah I do, but everything turned out alright in the end. So that makes it okay.”

“How? Aren’t you annoyed that they didn’t bother having a decent ending? The rest of the movie was okay but then they butchered it.”

Silver scoffed. “Can’t you just appreciate a happy ending?”

“Not if it isn’t done well.” Dim replied.

Silver Spoon grunted before thinking of something else to say in response. Nothing came to mind so she changed the subject. “You know, I saw a lot of of you and me in Remington's and Sprinkle’s story.” she said.

“Didn’t Sprinkle try to hire a hitmare to take out Remington when he rejected her proposal?” Dim asked with a hint of worry in his voice.

“Yep.” she smiled.

“Well, at least their happy ending made sense. She managed to convince the hitmare not to kill Remington by explaining the amount of love she truly had for him. Her words alone made the hitmare make an exception to the rules.”

Silver decided to take the rest of the story. “And Remington overheard it and realized no one else in his life had loved him like that, then he changed his mind and decided to marry Remington. I just watched the movie, Dim Shadow, I know what happened. Although I think it’s a bit silly that Remington found that romantic and not insane.”

“Yeah, I can totally see how you see you and me in that.” Dim sarcastically spoke. What is she, insane? Dim thought. That doesn’t relate to us at all. Wait… she’s comparing us to a couple… is she hitting on me? Dim went wide eyed. He shook his head to regain his logical thinking. Even if she was it wouldn’t matter to me, I don’t see myself anywhere near her after tonight. The longer I stay here the more dumb thoughts I’ll have about her… “Silver, what time is it?”

She looked at the clock on the wall. Reading the time, her ears perked up suddenly. “Late. We need to get to bed.” she thought for a moment. “I’d have the servants set up the guest room but it’s way too late and I’m not one to over work them…”

“Look!” Dim shouted over his shoulder. “One of your butlers left my stuff out here by the door.” Dim inspect the bag’s contents, an orange sleeping bag, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a pillow. Upon further inspection, Dim found a note from his parents.

Dim, we’re very happy to see you making so many new friends in such short time. We can already see the positives of moving to this town. Enjoy your time at your new friend’s house and remember to be kind to your hosts.

Love, Mom and Dad.

“Oh, mom and dad, when am I not kind to everypony?” Dim genuinely said allowed.

Silver Spoon coughed to get his attention. Dim turned around to see her staring at him with an “Are you serious?” face.

“You’ve lost your nice Dim Shadow privileges.” Dim turned back around to his bag.

“Have I? You were being pretty nice during the thunderstorm.”

“Well based on the noise I’m hearing it’s still going on. And that was different, you needed somepony to comfort you.”

After turning off the large screen, Silver Spoon walked through the door. “Shut up about it.” she said before purposely bumping into Dim on her way out. “Whoops.”

Not one to be pushed around, Dim stuck a hoof out in front of Silver’s right back leg and tripped her. “Whoa, are these floors waxed? I’m slipping all over the place.”

Silver Spoon got up and dusted herself off. “Actually, they are.” she said before grabbing one of Dim’s front legs and flinging him across the waxed floor. Dim tried to stand back up on his hooves while spinning around on his chest. He came to a stop before he could regain his balanced and get himself back up. He sighed before saying, “You may have won the battle but not the war.”

“What was that?” Silver Spoon asked from the other end of the hallway.

“I said, it’s been a long day and we should probably head to bed.”

“Agreed.” Silver said as she walked down the hallway. As she got to the end she approached Dim and stopped in front of him. She offered a hoof out to help Dim back up. He hesitated for a moment, seeing as this was the first time that he could remember Silver Spoon trying to help him with anything. After a moment he grabbed her hoof and stood up on all four legs. “Wow, that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for me. I’m touched.” Dim put a hoof to his heart.

For the second time Silver turned around and whipped Dim’s nose with her tail. “Go get your junk and come to my room. You get the floor tonight.” she said before descending up the staircase without another word.


It was later in the night, the storm was still raging outside. The thunder and lightning made the silver filly in the room uneasy in her sleep. She was twisting and turning with a sad frown and the occasional whimper. The dark grey colt on the floor was on laying of the unzipped sleeping bag; unzipped all the way, it was essentially a large blanket. Something you would lay on to watch the stars at night or have a picnic on. Neither of the ponies were under covers, the wet storm and hot air only made the air in the room humid and being under covers would be uncomfortable for most ponies.

Silver Spoon had awoken from her sleep from an exceptionally loud thunder clapping. She knew she wouldn’t get back to sleep on her own. Nights like this she usually never got back to sleep and if she did it would only last a few minutes before the slightest sound awakened her.

She sat up and waited until her eyes adjusted to the darkness. A few moments had passed and she could make out the things in the room. The delicate moon light made everything visible. Thunder echoed outside her home and she jumped. A small tear formed in her eye. She looked around the room to try and distract herself, like she did most stormy nights. Silver Spoon noticed Dim Shadow sleeping on his orange, unzipped sleeping bag. She thought back to earlier that day where he cuddled her so she would feel comfort in the scary weather.

She observed him as he was unphased by the loud storm, resting peacefully. She carefully got out of bed, making sure not to let the springs of the bed let out their usual annoying, loud squeaks. Silver slowly got out of bed with a pillow and ever so silently walked over to where Dim Shadow was resting. She placed the pillow next to his and laid down, facing him. Thinking she managed to stealthily get out of bed and change position, she shut her eyes.

“Mmm?” Dim murmured with one eye barely half open, most likely unaware of his surroundings.

Don’t say a single word, please. Silver thought to herself, not wanting the embarrassment on top of the most likely restless night ahead of her.

A moment passed before Dim Shadow half consciously grabbed Silver Spoon and pulled her in for a hug. Although a bit taken back, Silver Spoon didn’t protest and embraced Dim Shadow’s hug. After enjoying the sudden hug, she shut her eyes.

As the two were touching noses, Dim placed a soft kiss on Silver Spoon’s lips. Her eyes shot open. Stunned, Silver Spoon froze, not moving a muscle. A smile came across her face as she returned the hug and nuzzled into Dim Shadow’s neck. She went right back to sleep.









Comments ( 10 )

*Raises fist in the air* SILVER SPOON!

Well, the potion's gonna wear off if they sleep for over an hour I think. (Too lazy to re-read) Soooo... Gg, wp, hf Silvy

6064906
Why do you say that? They didn't mention that in the Hearts and Hooves Day episode.

6067254 No? I thought there was something about the potion wearing off if they didn't make eye contact for over an hour. I'm not 100% sure though, but I think sleep counts. Oh well, still, I pity Silver. Things like this rarely go well for the "bad guy".

6067284 No in the show it went something like if they didn't see each other for at least an hour before a certain time , the potion would wear off.

6067459 oh, ok. Sorry, it's been a while since I saw the episode, and I dont recall the part about it being during a certain time, but wouldn't that fit with sleeping? Anyways, don't bother yourself with the ramblings of a guy who has yet to go to sleep before 2:30 AM after discovering Supernatural. Still, I guess I just look forward to the Sweetierage and Dim's reaction. Keep up the good work. And why is this still on hiatus? You updated. Or will it be another super long wait?

6067284 Nope you were right I fucked up.

6067503 Also took it off hiatus just now.

6067545 this is cause for celebration! (Also, we need more emojis, Rito pls)

6067545
Okay this story was a waste of time.
Sorry, but you're thinking is too evil to me and I hate críated cheatings xd
Have fun anyone who reads this ever...

Login or register to comment