• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 597 Views, 4 Comments

The Legionnaire and the unicorn - twillale



Shameless three-chapter action plug. Mobile Frame Zero crossover.

  • ...
3
 4
 597

Prologue



“Have you read these reports?”

Arin drops the booklet in her hand into one of the stacks covering her table.

“Yes, colonel.”

The CO of my cadre loosens the rumpled collar of her uniform and rubs her neck.

“I thought we’d already dug up all the weird shit in the universe when we met the Ijad,” she mutters darkly.

Though I’m inclined to agree with the sentiment I’m not sure if I’m expected to answer. I opt to stay silent, hands clasped behind my back.

“Well, it’s not my job to question the whims of nature. How’s your company?”

I have a feeling I know where this is going. Arin is messy, unsocial, and perpetually stressed out but she sure as hell knows where every last screw of the cadre is at any given moment. Which means that last sentence is code for...

“Fully repaired and rearmed, colonel. We’re ready to deploy on two days’ notice.”

“Good. Put yourselves in readiness to do so. We’re sending you over yonder.”

Eh, I knew it. Still, sitting on our collective ass at HQ is starting to grate more than just my nerves. It’ll be good to see some action.

“Yes, colonel. Details of the mission?”

A satellite map appears above the side wall. I recognise the forests and rivers from the first survey reports of the newly discovered world.

“According to the reports, the native—” Arin forms a ‘p’ with her lips before quickly changing her word of choice, “...inhabitants have access to wealth of mineral resources, but don’t seem to have the technology to mine it efficiently. Or, to be precise, they don’t seem to have the inclination. Their medical and weather control technologies prove that they have the potential to develop in the fields they find worthwhile." She pauses. "Well, that’s what this report says.”

The colonel slaps her hand onto the topmost report in the pile and turns back to me.

“Anyhow. The point is: they have a lot of valuable resources, and as usual Nanking wants those resources.” I furrow my brows in dismay. Arin holds up a finger and quickly continues. ”There’s a catch, though. According to the scientists, the locals have evolved some kind of... powers which we don’t really understand, so the science community is up in arms at the thought of sending in the corporations to strip-mine the planet bare. That, and the last time we went in ass-first we caused the Ijad rebellions. The Transit Authority doesn’t say anything as usual, but they’re scared shitless by the thought of another Free Colonies fiasco.” She leans back in the chair and steeples her fingers.

“Long story short, they’re going to negotiate a fair agreement over the mining rights.” The sarcasm vested in the two words could melt steel. “The extended survey and diplomatic teams are leaving in less than a week. I want you and your company to form the main ground component.”

I raise an eyebrow.

“Alone, colonel?”

Arin nods. “There will be a Transit Marine detachment at the gate, of course—” I resist the urge to scoff out loud ”—but yes. Alone. No Expeditionary Marine kooks to flinch at every shadow this time. Your contact is some kind of local ambassador called...”

The colonel rummages around on her overflowing table, finally coming up with a data pad. She peers at the text, eyes searching for the right passage.

“...Ija— Huh. ‘Ijaii-Hru-Uihi’.” Arin stares at the pad for a second. “Translates to ‘Twilight Sparkle’.”

The colonel scowls and tosses me the data pad.

“She’s some kind of genius, apparently. Learned the basics of Solar Mandarin in a few weeks. All the mission data you need will be updated to that device.” Arin leans forward and looks me sternly in the eye.

“Now, listen. I’m sending you and your Legionnaires in because I trust you to keep cool if something goes to hell. This is a high-profile mission, so don’t screw up the negotiations. Aliens or not, I want you to keep the locals safe.”

“I didn’t realise you were such a philanthropist, colonel,” I note with a tiny smile. Arin narrows her eyes at me, but her lip curves enough to let me know I’m still only toeing the line.

“Hmph. Your orders stand. Now stop being a smartass and get your unit in gear.”

“Yes, colonel.”

I pocket the data pad and salute.