• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 1,390 Views, 44 Comments

Running the Show - Theta



Retiring after a year with the Wonderbolts, finally settling down in the famous Ponyville, what awaits Solar Runner? Come find out.

  • ...
3
 44
 1,390

Going Nowhere

Educated, even graduated, wish I woulda been a little more dedicated, and got something more out of school, instead of playing the fool...But even if I did for just one day, whether I would and wanted to say it, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway, because no ones listening. This is where I'm at, the bills come no matter what, I'm all grown up;but still going nowhere.

The vocals of Jay Cherry rings through my ears, and a realization dawns on me; that last line fits my life perfectly. Hmph, How cliche to say...what am I, in high school again? At this I let out a brief laugh, and continue what I'm doing. The recent events in town have made me contemplate just telling everyone I'm an ex-Wonderbolt, I mean it's not as if either of those two mares even tried to keep it a secret...a rumor like that is sure to spread like wildfire.

I reach into a box labeled 'WONDERBOLT GEAR', and pull out a hoody with 'S. RUNNER' on the back, and the famous logo on the front. What's the worst that can happen? I think, as I pull the hoody over my head.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

2:45 P.M., let's jet.
______________________________________________________________________________

After Rainbow Dash and I parted, the walk around town could be described as awkward at best. All around, I could see others turn their heads toward me, and focus all their energy on trying to see through a nonexistent facade. It only took one person to recognize me for others to follow suit. Just wish I met a more subtle pony... Maybe one that isn't too extroverted. Oh well, that shit's in the past now.

After a quick stroll through town(along with meeting many ponies, making note of a certain pink mare) I simply went back home, and unpacked the five boxes that held miscellaneous items. Two of the five containing my clothes, one with mementos, and the last couple with lacrosse gear. For the most part, I just tossed the clothes into stacks beside my bed, and stacked the boxes into a makeshift bedside table, but quickly knocked it down; remembering that I had nothing of importance to put there. As for the lax gear, I just shoved it into the closet at the foot of my bed.

Maybe one day soon, I'll break you guys out, but don't bank on it.

______________________________________________________________________________

I am hesitant to step out the door, deciding whether or not wearing a Wonderbolt hoody is the best idea. I mean the whole point of me moving here was to not be known about. And here I go, brandishing one of the most iconic clothing in Equestria. It's now or never...let's do this shit. I walk out the door, and make my way towards Sugar Cube Corner, but not before getting looks of awe and multiple ponies stop me for an autograph; Can't let down the fans, right?

If they didn't know before, they sure as hell knew that a Wonderbolt is among them. Which, honestly, I'm betting that most didn't even hear of my arrival, so doing this was a huge mistake.Fuck me...I really need to slow my shit. Celestia be damned, didn't I have someone for this kind of thing not that long ago? No, wait, I'm thinking of a dream I had...Speaking of dreams, why the shit can't I remember mine?

I slowly approach the bakery, signing the last of many pieces of paper, and walk inside to be greeted by Rainbow Dash. She waves me over, and by the looks of it, had already ordered multiple sweets. I hesitantly approach the table, and take a seat across from the mare. "Uhh, sup?" I ask in an audibly nervous voice.

"Nothin' much, just chillin'. Find this place easy?"

"Yeah, you're right, it sticks out like a sore thumb." I glance down at the table, and notice the best baked good to ever be created; chocolate cake. "Dude, that cake looks delish, mind if I grab a slice?" I noticeably perk up at the sight of the cake.

"Go for it, I mean it is your favorite, right?" Rainbow asks in an embarrassed voice.

"Hell yeah! Chocolate cake is the best shit to come out of an oven since...since, well it's the best thing to come out of an oven..." I speak with my eyes fixed on the cake, and I reach out to slice a piece from the spongy wonder. Through a mouth of cake, I manage to mumble "Thiff if foo gooff! Howf didf you know thiff waff my favorite?"

"Umm...Pony Magazine... They did an article about the Wonderbolts...specifically about you. They had a picture of you pigging out on a chocolate cake, so I just figured you liked it, heh heh." She nervously admitted.

Finally swallowing the last of the cake, I speak clearly, "Shit, those gossip columns actually got something right...I'll be damned."

"So...um...Solar, can I ask you a few questions?"

"For the mare that just bought me cake, you can ask whatever you want!"

"Alright my first question is, what was it like as an up and coming rookie?"

"It was alright, too much media attention though. Those first few months were hell, couldn't walk out the door and not be followed by a group of paparazzi. After a while, though, it died down."

"Did you give anything up in your diet? If so, did you pick anything up?"

"I had to cut back drastically on the amount of food I ate. While it wasn't against any sort of rule, it was a standard that everypony followed. I didn't really pick anything up, if anything I just upped the dose of protein supplements I take. Dessicated liver and brewers yeast yield amazing results." as I said liver, she scrunched her nose and looked at me with a questioning face.

Skip ahead one hour

"Alright my final question is...where are you from, and what are your parents like? I mean that's the only thing a Wonderbolts fan can't learn about you...It's like you slid under the radar there."

"I...um..." I internally flinch, "I don't want to talk about that..."

"What the hay!?! I mean I pay for a whole cake, and you even answered all the questions I've asked so far, so why not this one???"

"Ms. Rainbow...please, that's a question that brings up bad memories, man."

"Come on, Solar! Just tell me! You owe me...I paid thirty bits for that cake you only ate one slice of!"

Oh Creator, she's making me feel guilty now...damn my conscience.

"Gah, fuck it...you win...but please, can we talk about this somewhere, y'know, more private?"

"Ugh, fine. Follow me, let's go back to my house in the sky. No one ever visits up there, it'll be me, you and the clouds." she rolled her eyes at this, "Hey Pinkie! Save the cake on my table for me!" she screamed as we exit the bakery.

"Try to keep up, loverboy!" she says as she takes off.

Can't focus on a race if I gotta tell you my life story... one or the other, but not both, Rainbow Dash.

Author's Note:

Soooo yeah, pm me or put in comments anything that should be changed (as in errors with grammar and tenses). The opening line is from this song.

So yeah, enjoy dudes and lady dudes.