• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 4,952 Views, 268 Comments

Victor Squad: New Frontier - Legofan



The Republic discovers that the CIS is involving itself with a planet outside of their galaxy, and as a response, they send Victor Squad to investigate. Little do they realize that their actions could determine the outcome of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
12
 268
 4,952

Chapter 3: Victor Squad

~~~Republic Cruiser Loyalty, Outer Rim, 1 hour after the Ambush at US-01 (Unknown System-01)~~~


Except for one bored clone and a stubby brown and silver astromech, the medical room aboard the Loyalty was void of occupants. He had stupidly dislocated his shoulder during a recent training exercise. The bacta treatment helped with the pain and repaired most to the damage done, but dislocation was, unfortunately for the clone, one of the few injury types that a nice, long dip in a bacta tank couldn't heal completely. Thus, for the past two days, he remained in the medical center. He was to be checked out in a few hours, but this enlightening bit of news didn't do anything to allieviate his boredom. The clone sighed.

He decided to do the only entertaining thing he was capable of doing while bedridden: toss the ball he happened to have at the wall, hoping that it would hit the floor and bounce back to him before he hit it again, trying to repeat that pattern. His last attempt a few minutes ago ended after the second repetition. That was the score to beat. The clone chucked the ball at the wall facing him. As predicted it bounced down before hitting the floor and rebounding towards him.

The door to the medical room opened and one of the many medical officers aboard the Loyalty, whom the clone got to know quite well, entered the room. The disturbance distracted the injured clone, causing him to miss the ball that had just pelted him in the face. The clone grabbed his face and rubbed it in an attempt to reduce the irritation caused by the rubber rubbing against his flesh.

A chuckle was heard from the medical officer, who came to stand next to the injured clone's bed. However, his attention was focused on the holopad he was holding. "Alright, let's see," the medical officer thought out loud. "RC-1491, sent in two days ago for dislocated shoulder, to be checked out...now."

RC-1491 looked up to the medical officer, slightly confused. "B-but I'm not to be checked out for another couple of hours. Certainly there is a mistake," he argued.

"Nope, you're to be checked out immediately by order of General Kenobi. He says he's got an assignment for you, but the briefing's not for a few hours. You don't need to be in here for those hours, as long as you don't do anything too strenuous with your arm," the officer replied.

RC-1491 simply shrugged and let the medical officer do his final check up. He removed the sling from the injured clone's arm before announcing "Alright Captain Viktor, you're free to go." He returned to his holopad and left the room.

Viktor propped himself up onto his feet, smiling at his good fortune. Looking down, he saw the astromech standing beside his bed, holding his ball in a thin grasping apparatus and offering it to him. "Thanks, R8," he said as he took the ball, patting the droid afterwards. Today feels like it's going to be a good day, Viktor thought.


The door to Viktor's room slid open with a hiss as Viktor stepped near the frame, the astromech a couple of paces behind him. Viktor reached his now operable arm behind his back and stretched, relaxing in the more comfortable surroundings. His room was small by most species' standards, only large enough for a single bunk, a closet holding two pairs of casual uniforms, a footlocker for his armor, and enough free space so that one could reach all of these amenities with their arm without needing to take a step.

There were still a few hours until the briefing for his next assignment started, giving Viktor ample time to polish his armor and clean his weapons so as to look presentable for General Kenobi. He moved to his footlocker and unlocked it, opening the lid and peering inside. The astromech rolled beside him.

On top of the pile of various armor plates lay Viktor's helmet, staring lifelessly at him. Viktor picked the helmet up, gazing into the T-shaped visor typical of Mandalorian armor before wiping some grime off of it. He tossed it up lightly a couple of times before placing it on his bunk and moving his attention to the other pieces of armor in his footlocker, inspecting each piece carefully for visual imperfections.


Viktor walked down the halls of Loyalty, making his way to the armory to check up in his DC-17 and prized custom-modified bowcaster. He had donned his armor, having spent the previous couple of hours aggressively polishing its dull gray surface. Other clones looked at him warily as he passed, something all commandos eventually got used to.

Viktor had been a rare exception with regards to commando training; he had managed to earn his way into training despite being originally designated as a standard infantry trooper. As such, he requested only a few decals be placed on his commando armor. Namely, he had a thin blue stripe placed on the center of his elbow and knee pads, as well as a blue stripe running from above the center of his visor, over the dome that lacked the solid metal plume of standard clone helmets, and ended halfway down the back of his helmet.

He reached the armory and retrieved his DC and his bowcaster, inspecting their surfaces for scratches and other minor damages. Finding none, he moved to a part of the room dedicated to disassembling and reassembling weapons. Viktor sat himself down in front of one of the few workbenches and began taking apart his DC-17. The internal components turned out to be fine, and he diverted his attention to his bowcaster.

He grasped the bowcaster, admiring the modifications he had made to it. Shortly after he had obtained it, he had trimmed its size to fit his human dimensions, and modified the firing mechanism to magnetically fire solid metal bolts from a magazine, rendering it almost completely silenced, while maintaining effectiveness against fleshy targets. Aside from these changes, Viktor avoided messing with the internal components of it, preferring instead to let the astromech that had followed him and now stood by his side to do that.

The astromech surveyed the bowcaster's parts, making a few adjustments to it before reassembling it and returning it to Viktor. "Thanks again, R8," the commando said to the droid as he claimed his bowcaster. The droid whistled happily. Viktor stood up and went to the droid who maintained the armory. "I've got a deployment in a couple of hours," he said to the droid, "I'm going to want these delivered to me before I leave. R8 will tell you when and where to deliver these."

"Yes, sir," the droid replied before retreating to do...whatever business it did; Viktor didn't know. Having finished all of his pre-briefing preparations, Viktor decided to retire to his bunk and wait until he was summoned.


~~~Republic Cruiser Loyalty, Outer Rim, 5 hours and 55 minutes after the Ambush at US-01~~~


Viktor sprinted through the halls, struggling to reach the briefing room in time. He had misplaced his holovid, causing him to receive his summons later that he would have liked. Following closely behind him was R8, jet boosters projecting a long and powerful stream of fire. At the rate he was going, Viktor would be several minutes late for the briefing, not the impression a clone commando should be giving to a Jedi general, especially one as well known as Kenobi.

R8 nudged Viktor's leg, causing him to stumble. He turned to the droid and glared underneath his helmet before realizing what R8 was doing. Viktor stopped running and stepped behind the now grounded droid, and grabbed the handles attached to the astromech's back, another one of Viktor's genius technical modifications. The droids boosters lit again, this time unleashing all of its modified and amplified glory, shooting itself and Viktor at high speeds through the tight corridors of the vessel.


~~~Republic Cruiser Loyalty, Outer Rim, 5 hours and 59 minutes after the ambush as US-01~~~


On time. I'm on time, Viktor thought as he sighed in relief. He had reached the briefing room in record time, though he was sure that he made a show of himself by riding the astromech that stood at his side. This was Viktor's first deployment since he had finished his commando training, so he was eager to finally see the elite squad he was to be assigned to. Perhaps a new squad will lessen the pain of losing my old one, he mused. Finally ready, he strode into the room.

He glanced around, noting several figures in the room. Standing next to the hologram projection table that occupied the center of the room stood Generals Obi-Wan and Mace Windu. On a bench next to the wall to Viktor's right were two standard clones and one ARF trooper. The clone farthest from Viktor was busying himself with a careful inspection of the innards of his pistol. The ARF trooper was leaning against the wall, hands clasped on the back of his head while laying one ankle on the knee of the other leg. The other clone sat still, arms folded across his chest. Viktor noticed that there was a crack in his helmet. One last figure occupied the room, but before he could get a look at it, the generals grabbed his attention.

"RC-1491, it's good to see you could make it," General Mace said flatly.

"Indeed, and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself while getting here," General Kenobi added.

Viktor blushed under his helmet, embarrassed, not having expected the Generals to know of his droid-riding antics. "Uh, uhm, well, I was running late, so..." Viktor stammered.

"It's fine, Captain," General Kenobi assured. "Stand over there," he pointed to a spot next to the clone with the cracked helmet, "so we can begin."

Viktor saluted and walked to his spot, R8 rolling to be on the side of him opposite of the sitting clone.

"Welcome soldiers," General Mace began, "you four have been selected to be a part of a very important operation. Several hours ago, one of our Outer Rim communications vessels, the Valiance, had received a transmission from a stray Republic probe. This probe provided the crew of the Valiance with the location of a planet outside of our galaxy, which was being orbited by multiple CIS frigates. After being sent to investigate, our ship was ambushed and quickly disabled. As such, you are being called upon to continue the investigation led by the Valiance and its crew."

Mace paused and Viktor nodded in acknowledgement.

"We would be sending a Jedi along with you, but after making a few observations, we decided that it would be a dangerous idea," Mace stated.

"You are to be leaving shortly, so Mace and I must leave. However, we have entrusted Sergeant Moon with all of the mission details. He will continue the briefing. Gook luck, men, and may the Force be with you," General Kenobi concluded.

"May the Force be with you," General Mace agreed. The Jedi turned and left the room, and the previously unidentified figure, now known to be Sergeant Moon, stepped forward.

Moon wore standard clone armor, though his shoulder pads were decaled black with the exception of a crescent moon shaped patch on each one. An indigo stripe ran down the length of each arm, stopping at the end of his gauntlet. He cleared his throat before addressing the clones in front of him. "Greetings, soldiers, I'm Sergeant Moon, though I prefer to omit the title." He turned to Viktor and asked "Captain Viktor, there are two parts to this briefing: your mission and a brief introduction to your squad. Which would you like to do first?"

Viktor requested that the mission be stated first. "Very well," the Sergeant acknowledged. "As the Generals said, you are to continue the investigation of the unknown planet, hereafter referred to as US-01. You are going to be sent to its surface to do so, and will operate under the name of Victor squad. The stray probe managed to send the Valiance two images before its transmission was ended. The first one simply shows a CIS frigate orbiting the planet; the other is the one you'll be interested in." Moon brought an image of two small mesas up on the holographic table. "This is the only image of the planet's surface that we have, and as such, this location will act as your first LZ and camp. We've determined that a stealth gunship will fit in the space between the mesas in the picture, and as such, you'll be using one to get to the surface. A vehicle like Loyalty has no chance of approaching the planet undetected, whereas a stealth gunship would most likely be able to do so. Therefore, you're to head out and arrive on the planet before Loyalty does and set up a small encampment. Once you're finished with that, stay in the area until we can contact you and give you further directives. The time you spend waiting for us would be a good time for you to begin collecting data. Any questions?"

The clone who had been fiddling with his pistol earlier looked to the room's other occupants nervously before speaking up. "What kind of information should we be gathering?" he asked at a volume equivalent to half an indoor voice.

"Good question," Moon responded. "Over the course of your stay, you're to gather as much data as possible about, well, everything. I know it seems like a tall task, but you're all reasonable people; you'll be able to deduce what things should be studied first. The thing is, we know nothing about this planet, so we've got no leads for you."

The ARF trooper, still sitting in his relaxed pose, spoke up. "So we're being sent down to a completely unknown planet with ties to the Seps to do basically whatever we want before telling the upstairs what we've done? Sounds good to me."

"Um, something like that, though without the 'do whatever you want' part," Moon replied. "We don't truly need every little detail as of now, though. Officially, you're supposed to observe everything and report it, but if you'll accept my unofficial advice, I suggest that you begin researching the planet's indigenous species, if any, as well as what allows them to live there, and anything that seems like it would interest the Seps."

"What about the tinnies?" the clone with the cracked helmet asked. His voice was a mix of the clone's normal voice and static. "Do we shoot them up if we see them?"

"Not unless you've been compromised. You're to avoid contact with the droids and monitor their actions on the planet. We need to find out what on the planet has caught their eye. This is why we need as much data about the planet as possible. If you do find something significant down there, you're to report it so that we can intervene."

"How will we get the information we collect to you?" asked Viktor.

"You'll be provided with a special transmitter once we begin loading the gunship. Its transmissions will be encrypted, and only one terminal will be able decode it. That terminal happens to be mine, so anything you report will go to me to review and analyze for future use. You'll also be able to contact me by normal means if you've got any questions. I'll show you how to send me data using the transmitter once we get to the hangar; describing the process without having the device here for reference will be somewhat difficult."

"When do we leave?" Viktor queried.

"Well, I've gone through everything I need to go through with regards to your mission, so I guess now I get to present each of you to the rest of your squad quickly. After that, we'll head to the hangar to load your gunship, then you'll all be off," Moon responded.

"Right. Can we hurry through this though? I'm getting bored," the ARF trooper replied. Viktor couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

"Fine, but it helps if you don't interrupt," Moon scolded. "Anyways," he started while pulling up Viktor's file, "the commando here is RC-1491, or Captain Viktor. Quite the record he's got; served with the Muunilinst 10 I see. Oh, and an operation on Christophsis." Viktor cringed when Moon mentioned this part of his service. "Anyways, he will be leading you on the surface. Viktor here is a well rounded soldier, but is mostly an infantry specialist."

Moon pulled down Viktor's file and replaced it with the ARF trooper's file. "Alright, the ARF trooper is CS-1265, or Private Spy. He's had a little combat experience with Lightning Squadron on Ryloth, and his most logical position would be as the reconnaissance specialist."

"Uh...you forgot to mention that I got, like, fifty or sixty kills during that fight. And you left out the fact that I'm also the 'being awesome' specialist," the ARF trooper said. Moon shook his head and sighed, but provided no further acknowledgement of the ARF trooper's statement.

The next file to be brought up was for the trooper with the cracked helmet. "This is CC-1000, or Private Gore. He's got some experience fighting with the 212th on Ryloth and on Geonosis; heavy assault specialist."

"And finally, for CC-1874, or Corporal Shy," the Sargent said as he pulled up the file for the final clone. "Looks like he's got some experience with the 212th as well. Fought in the same battles as Gore. Anyways, Shy appears to be your best bet as a sniper and science officer."

Viktor nodded towards Moon as he pulled down Shy's file and deactivated the hologram projection table. He redirected his attention to the still sitting clones that were now under his command, getting a strange feeling that something was wrong. He quickly dismissed it and regarded it as anxiety; after all, this was his first time leading an operation.

"There's a LAAT/s waiting for you in one of the hangars, and everything we think you'll need is waiting to be loaded. If you've go not further questions, then we'll head down there and second check everything, just in case any of you see anything we missed. Also, there are a couple of surprises waiting for Spy, Shy, and Gore."

"We get presents? What are we waiting for, let's go!" Spy proclaimed enthusiastically while reaching a standing position. Moon face palmed. Viktor crossed his arms and cocked an eyebrow at him. Shy and Gore regarded him with strange glances, though Gore also chose to rise.

"Right, let's get going," Viktor said awkwardly, still peering at Spy.

"Yes, sir," Viktor got as a reply from Spy and Gore. Shy looked up to Viktor, then to Spy and Gore, then back to Viktor before going to his feet. The clones followed Moon out of the briefing room and began their trek to the hangars.


~~~Republic Cruiser Loyalty, Heading towards US-01, 6 hours and 20 minutes after the Ambush at US-01~~~


Sergeant Moon, Victor squad, and R8 entered the hangar containing the gunship that was to be Victor squad's transport to US-01. It was a special gunship in that it was a LAAT/s model, a slimmer and stealthier, though more expensive, variant of the standard LAAT/i. The barrels for the rocket launchers mounted on the vehicle's top were shorter than that of a LAAT/i, and it had a desert camo, whereas normal LAAT/s' were usually entirely black. Around the hangar were various pieces of transmitting equipment and other machines meant for establishing a small encampment. Two BARC speeders with sidecars were found near the gunship.

Viktor spent a few minutes inspecting the equipment with Moon, eventually figuring out what was to be brought: both BARC speeders, the special transmitter, which Viktor had been quickly instructed with its operation, a small signal jammer, a couple of small radio receivers, some portable repulsor-lifts, a couple small crates of ordinance, and a few crates of various survival equipment.

While Viktor was working with Moon, Spy tried conversing with Shy and Gore about what their 'presents' were going to be. Gore participated in the chat, offering ideas that were more realistic than the 'personal assortment of Twi'lek dancers' Spy had suggested. Shy remained quiet throughout, simply nodding or shrugging whenever he was addressed directly.

Thankfully, for the rest of Victor Squad, Viktor and Moon and finally finished checking their equipment and had returned to them to tell them what was to happen next. Moon spoke up first. "Alright you guys, we've got everything you'll need picked out and prepared to load. Now, for your surprise-"

"It's a pet rancor, isn't it," Spy interrupted.

"No...?" Moon replied, thrown off guard by the ridiculous concept of owning a rancor as a pet. Who in the right mind would do that? "No, your surprise is something a little more meaningful. We've been authorized to decal your armor, which will be done while Viktor and I load the ship."

"Decals, huh?" Spy repeated. "Yeah that's better than rancors. Don't know why I thought of that."

"Maybe that's because you're defec-" Moon muttered, a little too loudly, but caught his slip and corrected himself. "Definitely a creative one. It's because you're definitely creative," he said, glad that his helmet covered the grin of a lying man that had appeared on his face.

"Uhm, thanks?" Spy said, not catching Moon's mistake.

"So, where do we go for these decals?" Gore asked, wanting to get going.

Moon signaled to a group of clones near the back of the hangar. "Those guys over there will take care of that for you, but you'll need to stick with them to tell them what you want and make sure you're okay with the quality."

"Sweet," Spy said, looking towards the previously indicated clones. "I think I'll have a crotch on my crotch," he said, walking away from his squad as he said that.

"...What?" Gore said, wanting to make sure he had heard correctly. Moon and Viktor face palmed.

After a few steps, Spy burst out laughing, almost overloading his helmet's internal speakers. "I'm joking!" he said between spasms. After his fit subsided, he looked back to his dumbstruck squad. "Oh man, we're gonna get along great!"

"We've wasted enough time," Viktor declared. "Get your decals quick, then lets get out of here."

"You're no fun," Spy mumbled as he resumed his original path, this time accompanied by Shy and Gore.

Today is going to be a long day, Viktor thought.


~~~Republic Cruiser Loyalty, Heading towards US-01, 7 hours after the Ambush at US-01~~~


Viktor, Moon, and R8 waited near for the now loaded gunship for the other members of Victor squad to finish getting their decals. Viktor was surprised that it was taking so long for the decals to be applied; his only took about ten minutes when he had gotten them. Then again, his were almost as simplistic as one could get. He wasn't quite a fan of excessively flashy decals. Moon's decals were probably the flashiest that Viktor could tolerate.

Aside from getting the feeling that he would be faced with a lot of color very soon, the feeling of doubt that Viktor had been feeling before returned. This time, he couldn't get rid of it. "Sergeant, do you mind if I ask you a question?" Viktor asked, still trying to find the words to portray his feelings.

"Sure, Captain. What'd you like to know?"

"Well...I'm a bit curious as to why I've been assigned with standard clones instead of commandos for this operation," he said, hoping to ease a different curiosity while still trying to word his previous concern.

"Do you have something against standard clones, Captain?" Moon asked, more aggressively than intended.

Feir'fek, Viktor mentally cursed, completely forgetting the fact that Moon was a standard clone as well. Offending other clones was usually not well tolerated, but when one offended the clone that was to be their supervisor, then there was certainly trouble to be had.

"Relax, I'm joking," Moon assured, causing Viktor to sigh and visibly release tension. "As for your question, you've been assigned with these clones because they have the potential to be as great as you. It's rare that such raw abilities are found in clones, but it's possible. I mean, look at you, you're a commando, but that wasn't even your designated position. These clones are basically an early stage of you."

"Don't you mean I am an early stage of him?" Spy asked. Apparently, he was finished decaling up and had walked in on Viktor and Moon's conversation unnoticed. "After all, Vikky here is older than me. And the rest of us. Heck, he's, like, our grandpa at this point."

"I-I do you suppose that the answer to your question is yes, but surely you can show more respect for your superior than what you've just shown," Moon responded.

"And don't call me 'Vikky'," Viktor said with disgust.

"Only if Moon doesn't call me 'Shirley'," he said, turning to face Moon and grinning.

"Wait, when did I call...oh, you're so immature," Moon chided distastefully. "Don't you have any idea how stupid that joke is?"

"Eeyup," Spy said, still grinning widely. His grin slowly diminished as the trio stood in silence. Neither Viktor or Moon dared speak in fear that Spy would make another lame pun.

Viktor took the time to look over Spy's decals. Fortunately, Spy had chosen a simple pattern with no crotches on his crotch. Spy's decals consisted of forest green shoulder pads, elbow pads, kneepads, gloves, and boot soles, as well as the default ARF trooper decals on his helmet.


The four of them waited under the wing of the gunship for about ten minutes more before Shy had finished getting his decals. He approached them, but said nothing, something that Viktor was fine with. It seemed to Viktor that Shy was trying to hide from the group of them by standing half behind the gunship, forcing Viktor to adjust where he was standing to look at his decals.

Like Spy, Shy had chosen simple decals. He had an orange stripe running along the length of the metal plumage on the top of his helmet, as well as along the center of his kneepads and gloves. Additionally, there was a lime green stripe of the same width going across his elbow pads lengthwise. The most significant change, though, was a box attached to the right side of his helmet. He had seen other clones attach rangefinders and visors to their helmets in a similar fashion. Viktor had never seen a helmet attachment like the one Shy had, though; it was as large as a Wookie's fist and was covered by a white casing, but the front had several lights of varying color and other buttons on it.

Viktor had determined by now that Shy was not talkative, so he decided to confront Moon about the strange contraption. Viktor found that Moon was apparently watching him watch Shy once he turned around. Viktor raised his arm, pointing his thumb to Shy behind him, before tapping the side of his helmet a couple of times with him index finger before finally shrugging. Moon understood what Viktor was indicating.

"Uh, that would be a science module," Moon clarified. "I should have told you earlier that we were going to equip him with that. It's a handy tool that stores scientific data. It's also capable of running simple tasks such as detecting vitals, analyzing radiation patterns, and determining the chemical composition and molecular structure of samples of stuff."

"Alright, that kind of stuff is boring but I know that it's not simple. How could you possibly call that stuff simple?" Spy interjected.

"It's simple relatively speaking," Moon said, rolling his eyes under his helmet. It's amazing that some clones can be so dumb. "Anyways, we had to keep his decals simple so that there would be time to instruct him in the module's use. I hadn't expected him to be finished learning how to operate that before you and Gore got finished decaling, though."

"Gore must be having an art museum put on his armor or something in order for it to take so long," Spy panned.

"You don't say," Moon muttered.


After another half hour of waiting, Gore finally presented himself and his freshly decaled armor. Viktor thought that Moon's armor was a little flashy, but it was nothing compared to what Gore had had done. A dark red line went down the spike on his helmet, leading to what appeared to be a dark red scorpion stinger. The tip of the stinger rested just above the center of Gore's visor. On his gloves and kneepads were three jagged lines running across their entire lengths, also dark red. Each breastplate on his chest armor had been colored to appear like dark red bat wings, and his shoulder straps had been colored tan. Somehow, he had mounted the sheathes to each of his combat knives just under the shoulder straps, blade end pointing up, giving his shoulders and the bat wings on his chest a spiked appearance.

"Gore," Spy began saying, "your armor is the most random assortment of images I've ever seen."

Gore glanced down to look at his armor again. "It's not random," he defended. "It means something."

"What could lines, bats, and scorpions possibly mean together?" Spy asked rhetorically.

Moon face palmed again, causing Victor squad's attention to focus on him. "Did you really just spend an hour of our precious time trying to get yourself to resemble a manticore?" he asked, sighing afterwards.

"Hey! At least someone knows their mythical creatures. And no, most of the time was spent mounting my knives," Gore stated, not catching Moon's exasperation.

"What the heck is a manticore?" Spy asked confused.

"It's a mythical creature that's half lion, half scorpion, and half bat," Gore replied.

"Really?" Spy asked sarcastically. "I wasn't aware that something could be three halves other stuff."

Gore stared at Spy, ready to counter that claim, but paused after realizing the flaw in his previous statement. "Well...shut up," he said, ending any chance of retribution.

"Both of you shut up; you've got a job to do, and you've already wasted too much time decaling and bickering," Moon yelled, resolve finally crumbling. He seethed for a moment before collecting himself. "Now, I've got one more thing for Shy, Gore and Spy, there you're out of here."

"Oh, we still get a rancor?" Spy inquired.

Moon clenched his fist, tempted to punch Spy. "No..." he hissed. He looked over to a crate in the corner of the hangar. It was supposed to be brought over to him by some of the service droids, but he decided to get it himself, so as to get away from Spy, even if only for a minute. "Be right back," he said with fake calm, and headed towards the crate.

A couple of minutes later, he had returned to the waiting clones, and dropped the crate with a loud thud. The walk had done wonders for his serenity, and he spoke with sincere calmness now. "This mission may very well be the most important of the war, and as such, it has been decided that you're going to be equipped with the best we have to offer."

Moon lifted the top of the crate such that the contents were still hidden from Victor squad's view. He reached in and pulled out a small weapons crate. This crate was also opened, and Moon revealed the DC-15s inside to Spy.

"This...this is a DC-15. There's nothing special about a DC-15," Spy pouted.

"You'll be happy to know that this one has been slightly modified."

Spy perked up.

"The muzzle of the weapon has been slightly modified to allow use of a commando grade silencer. Now those are beautiful things," Moon said. "Commando silencers are shorter than standard silencers, and they don't affect accuracy and range. Cost a fortune to produce though...anyways, Spy, this is yours. The silencer is in here somewhere, I'll give it to you when I find it," he said, handing Spy the DC-15s.

The next thing to be pulled out of the crate was another weapons crate, this one long. Inside was a DC-15a rifle and a scope. "Alright, Shy, this is for you," he said as he attached the scope and handed the rifle to Shy. "Aside from the scope, which has a times two, ten, and twenty zoom, there have been no modifications to it."

"That's fine," Shy said almost inaudibly.

"Oh man; the big package," Moon muttered as he leaned over the crate and grunted, obviously lifting a heavy object. Once he stood up again, he was wielding a formidable looking chain gun. "This bad boy is yours, Gore," he said, hefting the heavy machine towards Gore. Surprisingly, Gore caught it with little effort. "Now, this has had some serious modding done to it. It has two power cores instead of one. There is a button on the handle that will change the core that you're drawing power from. However, if you switch cores regularly and don't let them overheat, then you can fire nearly indefinitely. Sadly, this extra firepower comes at the cost of a heavier and less mobile weapon. It should make short work of any tinnies you can't help but fight though."

"Sweet; can't wait to try it. Any volunteers? Spy?"

There was no response.

"Okay then!" Moon said awkwardly, trying to hurry things up. He pulled one last weapons crate out of the large crate, this one more bulky than the others. He opened it and took out one of the four DC-17 pistols and its holster. "Lastly, it's been decided to equip you guys with some real commando equipment. These are DC-17 pistols. They are heavy pistols, capable of taking down a B2 in a couple of hits, but they feel like a standard pistol and are the same size. However, you can get off about twice as many shots before it overheats than a standard pistol can, and it's more accurate. I've got one here for Spy, one for Gore, and two for Shy."

"Why does Shy get two but we only get one?" Spy asked, jealous.

"Well, I don't know; it's just what I was told to do. I must say, though, that, based on how much I like you and Gore, Shy would get the extra regardless of who I was originally told to give it to," Moon said, smiling, feeling proud of how that statement would get under Spy's skin.

"Eh, fair enough," Spy said with a shrug.

Moon fell silent, and was once again happy to have his dumbfounded expression covered by his helmet. I really wanted that to annoy him, Moon mentally pouted.

During the time that Moon had been providing the rest of his squad with their weapons, the droid from the armory had delivered Viktor's weapons to him. He now looked upon his fully equipped squad, feeling content with what they had.

"One more thing to mention before you leave," Moon said to Victor squad, though his gaze really only went to Spy, Shy, and Gore. "Each of your weapons, excluding the pistols, has had a magnetic attaching module put in them, which will allow them to magnetically attach to the back of your armor, which should eliminate the need for straps or anything of the like."

Spy decided to test Moon's claim. He swung his silenced DC-15s over his back and let go of the handle. No clanging noise was heard. He glanced at his shoulder and saw his weapon resting peacefully on his back. A light tug later, and the DC was back in Spy's grasp. "That's awesome," he commented.

Moon directed his attention to Viktor. "I've said it a lot already, but for real this time, that's all I have to say. Now, you're behind schedule, so get aboard your ship and get out of here. Good luck."

Viktor nodded and Victor squad boarded their gunship.