• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 2,595 Views, 449 Comments

New Revelations - Phantom Shadow



Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, who have been "together" for three months, are put to the test when a new foal comes to Ponyville, igniting feelings that Sweetie Belle is all too familiar with.

  • ...
18
 449
 2,595

Chapter 25: Doing What's Right

Applejack sat patiently at the kitchen table with a worried look on her face. The only sound that was audible in the room was the slow ticking of the nearby clock while the only light that shone was the flickering of a nearby candle. She took off her Stetson and placed it on the table as a sigh escaped through her nostrils.

Ah hope everythin's alright fer both of 'em, she thought as she hung her head.

After what felt like an hour had passed from when she first got there, she nearly jumped out of her fur when she heard the bedroom door open. Applejack calmed her nerves for a second before she got up and put her hat back on as Thunderlane trotted out of the room and slowly closed the door behind him. It didn't take much to notice the sad and defeated look he had on his face as he rested his head against the door while closing his eyes softly.

"How's he doin'?" she asked softly, trying her best to sound reassuring.

Letting out a sigh through his nostrils, Thunderlane answered, "He'll be alright for now."

"Did ya talk ta him about...ya know...what happened?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. I'll talk to him about it in the morning; he's been through enough for one night. Best to let him sleep."

Applejack nodded understandingly as Thunderlane, avoiding eye contact as he passed her, slowly trotted to the kitchen table and sat down in the closest chair available. He hung his head in his hooves as the thoughts of the once magical evening turning into a horrid nightmare began rushing through his thoughts. Applejack gave him a worried look as she trotted beside him and lightly placed a hoof on his shoulder.

"How 'bout you, sugar cube?" she asked, her tone still soft. "Are ya gonna be alright?"

"I...I'll be fine," he fibbed as he lowered his hooves.

"Are ya sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

The two of them fell silent.

Not knowing if there was anything left to say, Applejack patted him on the back before slowly making her way to the door. She had only taken a few steps before she was stopped by Thunderlane finally saying something.

"Applejack," she heard his soft voice say. "I...I can't thank you enough for...for tonight."

Applejack turned to look at him and said, "Think nothin' of it, sugar. Ah'm happy ta help ya in yer time of need."

Much to her surprise, Thunderlane got off his seat, trotted up to her and wrapped his arms around her in an embrace. Her cheeks flushed red as her heart skipped a beat or two from the sudden and unexpected gesture.

"I mean it. Thank you for telling me...for letting me know about...you know...for telling me the truth," he said as a few tears managed to escape his eyes and roll down his cheek. "I'm really sorry for calling you a liar before. You really are the best friend a pony could ask for."

There were no words that Applejack could say in response. All she could do was return the gesture with a soft smile on her face. It wasn't long before the two of them released one another. Applejack watched as Thunderlane wiped his eyes.

"Ah'll...Ah'll see ya tomorrow, Thunderlane," she said. "Try ta get some sleep. Everythin'll be better in the mornin', you'll see."

"Yeah, I'll...I'll try," he replied with a forced smile. "See you around."

Applejack nodded and smiled before leaving him alone to stand in the same place for many minutes to follow. When he finally found the will to move, he trotted to the kitchen table and sat down again. Thunderlane held his head in his hooves like he did before as he closed his eyes softly.

I'm sorry, Rumble, he thought as a wave of guilt washed over his heart, making it pound in his chest. I'm so sorry all of this happened to you. I can only imagine what's going through your mind after all this.

Thunderlane lowered his hooves as he looked up at the ceiling, trying his best to not let his tears run down his face. What am I going to do? How do I talk to him about all of this after what just happened? Is now even the best time? How can I put it in a way to help him understand?

He wiped the tears from his eyes and took a deep breath to try and calm himself down. What can I do to make him see past all of this? How can I help take his mind off this?

Letting out another sigh, he lowered his gaze at the table as he began scanning for something, anything that can help him and his brother. Fortunately, something on the table caught his eye, resulting in him staring at it for a moment or two. Blinking several times at the white envelope on the table, he slowly picked it up and took out the letter that he had written to his parents earlier. Thunderlane must have read it at least a dozen times before the thoughts of why he wanted to stay in Ponyville resurfaced in his thoughts.

At first, he felt his heart beginning to beat in his chest at the very thought of leaving his old life behind to start a new one with the pony he once loved. It was short lived as Thunderlane's eyebrows began furrowing in disgust as the thoughts of Rarity, not only lying to him, but lying to his younger brother began looping in his head like a scratched record. Now that there was nothing left, what was the point in staying? Why not go back home where they belonged?

Rage burning within him, he squeezed his eyes shut and held the paper in his hooves as if he were about to rip it in half. However, a last minute thought that he hadn't considered stopped him in his tracks. He opened his eyes and began breathing heavily as the tears began to stream down his face again. Thunderlane slowly opened the letter and read it to himself one last time as the new-found thought entered his head. Calming his temper with a couple of soothing breaths, he nodded his head and put the letter back in the envelope, trying his best to flatten it to make it look like it once did.

Maybe this will help take his mind off of what happened, he thought as he got up and headed for his bedroom. Tomorrow is another day.

Closing the door behind him, he trotted to the window and looked out towards the rest of town where the festival was still going on. Suddenly, he flinched as the sight and sound of fireworks began going off in the distance. For a brief moment, he smiled as they illuminated the night skies with a sea of colors and designs. However, the sight of something changed his mood in an instant.

Standing in front of the inn several yards away was Rarity, who was looking up towards his window. The second his eyes fell upon her, Thunderlane quickly closed the window and drew down the blinds, turning his back as a bad taste began forming in his mouth at the very sight of her. As much as he tried to mentally talk himself out of it, he turned towards the window again and peaked through the blinds to see if she was still there. Although she stood there for many moments, she eventually turned and began trotting away; her head looked like it was hanging as she slowly disappeared over the horizon.

His breathing intensifying, Thunderlane slowly got into bed and buried his face in his pillow. Turning on his side, he tried his best to close his eyes and get some sleep. Unfortunately, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get the images of the mare he once loved out of his mind.

Lying on his back, Thunderlane squeezed his eyes shut and whispered, "Rarity...why? Why did you do this? Why?"

Try as he might, the tears he had held in began streaming out of the corners of his eyes. He began to breath heavily again as he squeezed his eyes tighter, as if that would stop them from coming out.

That's enough, Thunderlane, he thought as he opened his eyes. You have to be strong now. For Rumble's sake, you have to overcome this.

As he calmed his crying down and closed his eyes softly, the last thing he thought echoed in his mind as he fell into a dreamless sleep:

I know what must be done.


The morning came much quicker than he had really wanted it to. Thunderlane slowly opened his eyes as Celestia's sun peered through the window above his bed. He squeezed his eyes shut and groaned; he didn't feel like he had gotten much sleep and wanted to stay in bed for a while longer. However, he knew he had more important things to handle and that staying bed would only prolong the inevitable.

Reluctantly, Thunderlane got up and made his way into the kitchen. He was taken by surprise when he saw Rumble sitting at the table with a small bowl of cereal in front of him. A flicker of a smile formed on his mouth but was instantly washed away when he saw the distraught look on his brother's face. He stood there for a moment as he watched him take a small spoon of food, put it in his mouth, and slowly begin chewing it; he was moving like his whole body was on autopilot.

Poor guy, Thunderlane thought. I guess now is the best time I can talk to him about all of this. I just hope he'll understand and try to move on.

Thunderlane let out a small sigh as he sat down next to him. Although he had made noise upon his entrance, Rumble didn't turn his head, or even his eyes, to acknowledge his presence. He just sat there, staring into the abyss completely emotionless.

As casually as he could muster, he said, "Good morning, Rumble."

The colt didn't answer as he took another spoonful of cereal and repeated his slow eating regimen.

"Hey, buddy," he said softly. "Are you alright?"

Like before, Rumble didn't answer.

Thunderlane lowered his head. "It's...about last night, isn't it?"

That was the only time he got something of a response: Rumble shifting just his eyes to look at him. He looked into Rumble's sorrowful lavender eyes as the colt quickly looked away and stared ahead of him again. For that brief moment, Thunderlane could feel his brother's heartache, which resulted in his own heart beginning to hurt, both emotionally and physically.

"Rumble, I...I think it's time we talked about this."

He placed his spoon down and said softly, "There's nothing to talk about."

"Sure there is," Thunderlane said. "I mean...I know it's hard for you right now, but...but..."

He let out a sigh and hung his head, trying his best to not let his voice crack from his own pain. Again, Rumble looked at Thunderlane.

"Rumble...I know that...there's nothing I can say or do that will take away your pain right now. Believe me, I really wish there was. But...if there's anything I can say, it's that...I...I'm so sorry all this happened. I feel like all of this could have been avoided if I had...you know...talked to you about this much sooner. I guess, in a strange way, I blame myself for what happened...and I'm sorry."

Rumble finally looking at him fully with widened eyes and a slightly confused look was all the proof Thunderlane needed to know that he was taken aback by his statement.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I...I should have talked to you about those kinds of relationships much sooner," Thunderlane stammered, trying his best to pick the right words to say and make sure they came out properly. "I wanted to, I really did...but...I didn't think it was appropriate, especially with what was happening with Mom and Dad. Maybe if I had, you...you would have known..."

Stopping for a moment to take a deep breath, Thunderlane continued. "You see...it's like this..."

Rumble sat in silence as Thunderlane explained everything about same-gender relationships. He tried his best to keep it as simple as he could so Rumble fully understood what he was saying. After a while, Rumble lowered his gaze to the ground as his eyes began scanning around. Seeing the gesture, Thunderlane took the hint and brought his explanation to a close.

"I...I know that it may not make much sense right now...especially with what happened," he said. "But you have to understand that it has nothing to do with you. None of this is your fault, nor is it Sweetie Belle's. It's just...some ponies...you know...feel differently than others. It's all natural and normal, especially at a young age."

"I..." Rumble said softly. "I just...I mean, I don't...I can't..."

Thunderlane got up and prepared to wrap his arm across his shoulders. However, he was taken aback when Rumble immediately got off his seat and held him in an embrace. Returning the gesture, he could tell that Rumble was starting to softly cry.

"I'm sorry, Rumble," he said again, as if those words would take away his pain. "I'm so, so sorry."

"It...It hurts," Rumble said in between sobs. "Why does it hurt so much?"

Because it was real, Thunderlane thought as he said aloud, "I know it hurts, it always does. Everything will be okay, Rumble. I promise you, everything will be okay."

They sat in silence for many moments before Rumble calmed himself down and released his embrace while wiping his eyes.

"Rumble, do you remember what I said...when we first spoke about you and Sweetie Belle?" he asked.

Rumble looked at the ground again while his eyes shifted back and forth. He remembered Thunderlane saying something about it, but he couldn't remember what it was; his thoughts were too focused on what happened to recall anything prior.

Seeing him struggle, he said, "I told you that, if Sweetie Belle were to...you know...'reject' you...that it would hurt...a lot and..."

"And that, no matter what happened," Rumble finished. "You'll be there to see me through it."

"...and?" Thunderlane prompted.

"...and if Sweetie Belle doesn't like me that way... maybe...we could still be friends."

Nodding, Thunderlane held his brother in another embrace. "I'm really sorry that all of this happened, especially on a night like last night. You know I'd do anything to take it all back. But, it's water under the bridge now. You have to be strong now and try to move on. There are plenty of other sticks in the sea."

Noticing his blunder, Rumble said, "Don't you mean, 'fish', Thunder?"

"Oh...is that how it goes?"

The two of them shared a laugh for a moment. It may have been short-lived, but the feeling of happiness made the two of them feel better than they had all morning.

As they calmed down, Thunderlane said, "I can't promise that this'll be easy or that it'll go away overnight. But I can promise that it'll get better. It always does, trust me."

Smiling again, Rumble said softly, "Thanks, Thunder, for everything."

"You don't have to thank me, little brother. I'll always be here for you, always."

As Rumble gave him an embrace one last time, Thunderlane's attention was immediately drawn to the letter from last night. Biting his lower lip, he looked from the envelope to Rumble and back again. As much as he wanted to ask, a part of him held him back.

It's now or never. Besides, maybe it'll help take his mind off of this for a while, Thunderlane kept reassuring himself. Taking a deep breath to muster as much courage as he could, he said, "I have some good news for you."

Slightly perking up, Rumble asked, "What is it?"

"I got a letter from Mom and Dad yesterday. They said that everything was sorted out and that we can go home."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

The two brothers smiled at each other, neither of them saying a word; it was as if one was waiting for the other to say something.

"So..." Thunderlane finally said. "I was wondering...if you want to...do you want to go back home?"

Rumble gave him a startled look. "You're...asking me?"

"Well, yeah. I was going to make the decision last night, but I didn't think it would've been fair if I made this kind of decision without talking to you about it. So, do you want to go back home or stay here in Ponyville?"

Caught on the spot, Rumble looked at the ground again. As much as he wanted to go back to Cloudsdale, a part of him wanted to stay in Ponyville. He began recollecting his life back in Cloudsdale, how he had little to no friends at all, how he hated going to school and being teased, and how he was pretty miserable throughout most of the day.

Then, he began thinking about his life in Ponyville so far. Yeah, he had friends and he was much happier here, but after what happened, after what he was feeling now, was there really a point in staying? Would he be happier if he went back home than if he stayed here?

Seeing him struggling, Thunderlane said, "You don't have to worry, buddy. I don't mind either way."

Rumble scratched the back of his neck as he looked around the room, hoping he would find the answer somewhere in the room. It did little to help him as he looked back at Thunderlane with an unsure look.

"You don't have to give me an answer now. I'll let you think about it for a while," Thunderlane said as he got up from his chair.

"Okay," Rumble said, following suit. "Thanks."

Thunderlane smiled. "No problem, little brother."

He gave him a small smile as he collected his dishes and placed them in the sink. Afterwards, Rumble trotted into his room and closed the door behind him. He let out a sigh before making his way to the window. He watched as many ponies were in the town square, cleaning up after the big event that took place the previous night.

Letting a sigh escape from his nostrils, Rumble sat on his haunches and looked at the ground. He scanned the floors for something, anything that would help him get all his swirling thoughts in order. Much to his dismay, there was nothing there to help him, nothing to ease the burden of everything that was on his lap now.

What am I going to do? Rumble thought. How can I possibly face Sweetie Belle? What do I say to her? Is there anything I can say to her? What about Mom and Dad? Should we stay or should we go?

All these questions went unanswered as he sat down on his bed. The moment he sat down, he managed to accidently knock down his saddlebag that was resting beside the bed. As all his belongs slid onto the floor, Rumble let out a small huff before getting up to pick up all his books.

As he placed his notebook into the bag, a small piece of paper that was lying underneath it caused him to stop and stare at if for several seconds. As he stared, he read the words written on it a few times to himself: Open After School.

Slowly, he picked up the neatly folded piece of paper and looked at it from all angles. With a raised eyebrow, he slowly opened it to see that a neatly written letter was inside. Cautiously, he began reading the letter carefully to himself.

Dear Rumble, it read. Meet me at the clubhouse right after school. There's something I have to tell you. It's really important. Please come alone. Love, your secret admirer.

Rumble read it to himself a few times, looking at the letter from both sides to see if there was anything else written. Convinced that was all there was, he gave the letter an incredulous look as he began thinking who could have written this letter for him. Reading it one last time, it all became too clear.

There's only three other ponies who know where the clubhouse is, he thought with wide eyes. Since two of them are already...that leaves...oh my gosh! It can't be!

He looked out the window with a look of disbelief as all the pieces began falling into place; from the conversations they had and how she always enjoyed spending time with him, to the way she always seemed to act whenever he was around. It all made perfect sense to him now.

How could I have been so blind? How could I have not seen this before? It was right there in front of me all along, he thought as his face beamed. I...I have to talk to her right away!

Rumble's small burst of enthusiasm slowly dissipated as he began thinking about the time he was with Sweetie Belle and how he had practically ignored her at the Festival of the Night. If this was how she felt about him, he could only imagine how she must've felt while he was with Sweetie Belle that whole time.

I have to make this right, Rumble thought. I have to talk to her.

Nodding to himself, he left his room and left the inn, telling Thunderlane that he'd be right back. As he galloped out of the inn, only one thought echoed in his mind as he gave a look of determination the whole way:

I hope she can forgive me.