• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 2,595 Views, 449 Comments

New Revelations - Phantom Shadow



Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, who have been "together" for three months, are put to the test when a new foal comes to Ponyville, igniting feelings that Sweetie Belle is all too familiar with.

  • ...
18
 449
 2,595

Chapter 22: Choices

The sudden change didn't go unnoticed.

The next day, a sheet of grey clouds loomed over Ponyville, both literally and figuratively. It started with the ponies in their class who noticed it first. Most of them saw that the Cutie Mark Crusaders didn't come to school together in their usual cheerful manner. Instead, they came at completely different times in completely different states. Even Ms. Cheerilee noticed all four of them as they came in, offering a confused and worried look as she observed each one.

Apple Bloom had become more reserved and upset, avoiding eye contact and not saying anything to anypony, while Rumble was a lot more confident, happy, and with more pep in his trot than before. However, these two didn't compare to the even stranger behavior of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

The normally 'glued-to-the-hip' fillies were now avoiding each other like the plague. Sweetie Belle trotted into the school by herself in a slow, almost robotic motion, her eyes looking like they were about to cry [though they never did]. Meanwhile, Scootaloo bee-lined to her seat by herself, her head held high and a very serious expression on her face. There weren't any hugs or kisses to be had between the two, nor were there any conversations; there weren't even passing glances. Instead, there was just Sweetie Belle who looked like she was lost in another world and Scootaloo who had a chip on her shoulder for no good reason.

It became even more obvious when hours passed and it was time for recess. Everypony noticed that all the Crusaders kept their distance from each other, as well as everypony else. The even stranger part was when they saw Rumble sit next to Sweetie Belle, the two of them sharing lunch together, though they barely spoke to one another. Whereas Rumble looked happier than ever, Sweetie Belle looked completely zoned; it was almost like she was going along with something she clearly didn't want to do.

Aside from them, Scootaloo sat behind the schoolhouse, her arms folded and an angered expression still on her face. Meanwhile, Apple Bloom sat by the front door, peeking a look at Sweetie Belle and Rumble every so often before looking at the ground with her ears and hair bow hanging low against her head.

Looking on at the four of them, the other foals didn't spend as much time eating their food and playing around as they did gossiping about what was happening; even Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had hushed conversations about them.

"What's up with Scoota-Belle?" some would ask.

"Do you think something happened?" asked others.

"Why is Sweetie hanging out with Rumble?"

"I thought she was with Scootaloo?"

"What's wrong with Apple Bloom?"

"What's going on?"

"I don't know, but something is wrong," was what the usual answer was.

Eventually, the day went on and the last bell rung for the day. What sent a red-flag to everypony was when they saw Scootaloo actively wait for Sweetie Belle to get up and leave before collecting her things to do the same. If that wasn't strange enough, the foals immediately saw that Rumble would accompany Sweetie Belle as she walked home. That's when the whispers stopped asking what was happening and began speculating why Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle broke up. Because nopony had the nerve or the guts to ask them about it, it was anypony's guess what really happened.

It remained like this for the remainder of the week, not showing any signs of progress and only a small change for the worst. Although Sweetie Belle and Rumble were together, the look on her face didn't change whatsoever. Scootaloo stopped looking angry and became depressed like Apple Bloom was [who remained the same throughout the week]. It got to the point where ponies around town began to notice how they were acting, many of them just as confused as the foals were.

At various times throughout the week, Ms. Cheerilee called the three fillies individually after school and asked them if there was anything bothering them. However, they all gave the same "I don't want to talk about it" answer. She had discussed it with their relatives so they could help them, but the fillies had given them the same answers as well.

By the time Saturday morning came around, most ponies had put the fillies aside for the final preparations of the "Festival of the Night" later that evening. Although the town was in a huge buzz to prepare for both the Princess' arrival, a select few couldn't help but focus on the foals whose personalities weren't the same as they used to be...


"Sweetie Belle," Rarity called out in sing-song as she knocked on her door that morning. "Come along, dear. It's time to wake up. We have much to do before this evening's festivities."

A moment or two later, Sweetie Belle opened the door and slowly trotted out, not making eye contact with Rarity as she headed for the stairs. A worried look came across her face as she began to follow her, the two of them entering the kitchen as Sweetie Belle began making herself some cereal.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, Rarity asked, "So, are you as excited for the Festival tonight as I am?"

Sweetie Belle didn't give an answer as she sat down and began eating her food.

"I-I'm sure we'll have a great time," she tried again, smiling this time. "Like we did at the 'Sisterhooves Social' a few months ago, remember?"

When she didn't respond the second time, Rarity let out a sigh and sat down next to her.

"Come on, Sweetie," she said reassuringly, putting a hoof on her shoulder. "I'm very concerned about you. I know you're going through a really hard time, but you've been like this for the past several days. Don't you think it's time to put this behind you and move on?"

Sweetie still didn't answer.

"I-It'll get better, I promise," she said, rubbing her back comfortingly.

As silence continued to fill the room, Rarity let a small sigh escape through her nostrils as she patted Sweetie Belle's back. Then, she got up and planted a small kiss on her forehead before heading out of the room. It was only when she was about to turn the corner to head for the stairs did she finally say something.

"I'm sorry," she said, no louder than a whisper.

"Pardon?" Rarity asked as she stopped and turned to face her.

"I'm sorry, Rarity. It's just...I mean, I'm really...I'm trying..."

Seeing Sweetie struggling to get the words out, Rarity trotted over to her and sat down again. "It's okay," she said softly. "What's on your mind?"

Taking a deep breath in an attempt to get her thoughts together, Sweetie replied, "I'm trying my best to move on and put her behind me, but it's really hard to. It's just...I can't. I've tried spending time with Rumble, but it doesn't...feel right. How long do you think it'll take before the phase you were talking about kicks in for me, like it did for Scootaloo?"

Biting her lower lip as her heart rate increased, Rarity said, "W-Well, e-everypony is different, Sweet'ums. I-I assure you t-that everything will be alright. You just need to give it time, is all."

Sweetie Belle sighed as she fiddled with her spoon. "I hope so."

Rarity felt her heart beginning to sink as she gave her sister a hug. "Try not to think about it now. Let's focus on getting everything ready for this evening, shall we?"

She only responded with a nod as she resumed eating her food, the look of sadness not leaving her face. Rarity nodded once before getting up and leaving the room. However, instead of making her way to the stairs, she leaned against the nearby wall with her hooves covering her mouth in an attempt to hold back her sobbing.

This is terrible, she thought as she closed her eyes softly. What have I done? Sweetie is more miserable now than ever and it's all my fault. I took the one thing that made her happy and ruined it, all because I...I'm...

Stopping mid-thought, she peeked into the room and watched Sweetie Belle as she wiped her eyes before continuing to eat. Pulling back, Rarity let out a silent sigh as she straightened her posture.

I have to make this right, she concluded as a determined look came across her face. She doesn't deserve to be miserable because of me! I have to tell her the truth and put an end to-

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the bell above the front door ring, drawing her attention to the two ponies that entered the building. Rarity didn't have time to give them her standard greeting before her eyes grew wide at the familiar faces that trotted up to her.

"Oh my goodness," she said aloud. "Savannah Café and Trench-Stud!"

"Hi, Rarity, is it?" Savannah asked in her native accent. "It's an honor to finally meet you. Sapphire Shores wasn't kidding when she said this place was gorgeous!"

"I'll say," Trench said in a different accent. "It's very nice, Miss."

"Oh, do forgive me for being rude," Rarity chuckled nervously. "It's just that...y-you're early."

"Sorry 'bout that," Savannah smiled. "It was Trench's idea."

"Just making sure everything is ready for tonight," he said with a shrug.

Savannah leaned in and whispered, "Don't mind him; he'd like to think he's a perfectionist."

"I heard that."

The two of them shared a laugh as they playfully nudged each other. Rarity also chimed in, except her laugh was clearly forced, as was her smile.

"So, you have our outfits ready? We'd like to try them on before the big show," Trench said.

"Outfits...right," Rarity said with a nervous smile. "I'll go get them. Make yourselves comfortable, I'll be right back."

As she headed for the stairs, a defeated look came across her face. However, she took a deep breath and put on a smile.

I'm sure Sweetie Belle will be alright for now, she thought. There's far too much to do for tonight to have a full discussion about what happened. I'll tell her everything tomorrow and not a moment later. No harm in that, right?


"Here you go, sir" the mail mare said. "Have a good day!"

"Thank you," Thunderlane responded as he took the letters she gave him.

Closing the door, he began sifting through everything to see that one of the letters sent was from his parents. Immediately, he sat down, opened it and began reading it:

Dear Thunderlane, it read. I hope you and Rumble are getting along together in Ponyville. Your father and I miss you both so much. You don't know how grateful we are that you agreed to take Rumble out of town while we had everything sorted out. I'm so sorry it was so abrupt, but I do have some great news: now that everything is cleared up, you both can come home if you want to. I hope to hear from you and Rumble really soon (we won't be able to attend the festival this year, so we won't see you there). We love you both so much. Love, Mom and Dad.

Thunderlane smiled as he read the letter a few times to himself, a warm feeling coursing through his body. They were finally able to go home in Cloudsdale without the worry of things getting out of hoof for them. Immediately, he took the closest writing utensil he could find and prepared to respond. However, he was stopped when he saw Rumble trotting out of his bedroom in a manner he hadn't seen before.

Holding his head high in confidence, Rumble spread his wings and began hovering across the room with a smile on his face. Every time he landed on the ground, he would move in place as if he was standing on something really hot, his wings fluttering rapidly.

"Hey, buddy," he said. "You seem antsy this morning."

"I am!" Rumble exclaimed with a wide smile as he began flying around the room again. "Not only is it the Festival tonight, but I'm going with Sweetie Belle. I'm just really nervous...and excited! I've never felt this way before!"

Thunderlane let out a quick laugh before he said, "Well, I guess we better make sure everything is ready, then. We have to pick up our suits from the tailor, so why don't you wash up and get ready for breakfast so we can get going."

Rumble nodded as he landed in front of him and galloped into the restroom. Thunderlane sighed as his shoulders slumped, a sudden feeling of guilt washed over him. He looked at the letter from their parents again, running a hoof over the words, 'you both can come home if you want to', before thinking about how Rumble was acting.

I want to, he thought as he let out a sigh. But...Rumble seems so much happier now, much happier than he's ever been. He has everything he could ever want here. I...I can't take that away from him. I can't crush his hopes and dreams by bringing him back to...nothing.

Closing his eyes to get his thoughts together, he took his pen and began writing back, the choice he made hurting him more than the words he was writing.

I'm sure Mom and Dad will understand, he thought. It's not like we won't see them ever again. Besides, I bet I can find a nice cheap apartment or something here, somewhere close by so we can be with the ponies we love.

As he finished writing his response, Thunderlane nodded as one last thought ran across his mind: I hope I don't regret this.


"C'mon, Apples! We've gotta lot of things ta do before tonight! Let's get a move on," Applejack encouraged as she and Big Macintosh were loading up several carts of baked apple goods into several wagons for Ponyville.

As the two of them, with the help of a few extra farm-ponies, made sure everything was loaded, Granny Smith was busy making several of her famous apple pies while others prepared them for transport. With the amount of food needed for the event, the whole Apple family made sure they packed extras of everything. However, out of all the ponies helping, only one of them moved at a snail's pace, a look on her face that indicated she'd rather be doing anything else but help.

As Applejack placed freshly baked apple-muffins in her cart, she watched as Apple Bloom pulled a small wagon of more food with her head hanging low. After bringing the wagon, she slowly trotted towards the house to get some more, not lifting her head for anything.

Letting out a sigh, she turned to the nearest pony and asked, "Can ya make sure everythin's loaded, Red Gala. Ah'll be right back."

"Sure thing," Red Gala said as Applejack trotted after Apple Bloom, the two of them entering the house at the same time.

"Apple Bloom," Applejack called out when they were alone.

"Yeah?" she asked, lifting only her eyes to look at her.

Lowering her voice, she said, "Ah know ya don't wanna talk 'bout what happened between you and Rumble, but it's been a whole week. Yer really startin' ta worry me, and everypony else. Why don't ya tell me what happened? Maybe it'll help ya feel better."

Reminded again about what happened, Apple Bloom turned away and softly said, "There ain't nothin' ta talk 'bout."

"O'course there is, sugar cube. Just tell me what happened so ah can help ya."

"It's nothin'. He just...doesn't like me, that's all."

"Ah know, but ya never told me how you know that."

Apple Bloom tried her best not to let her tears fall as images of him and Sweetie Belle lovingly gazing into each other's eyes before kissing crossed her mind, the necklace she wore glimmering brighter than ever.

"What does it matter?" she asked as she wiped her eyes clear, her tone turning to annoyance. "He just doesn't, alright?"

Applejack watched as she began trotting away, clearly seeing that she was trying to hide her tears. In an effort to ease her pain, she said, "W-Why don't ya take a break. If yer gonna go to the festival, you'll need yer..."

Turning to face her, Apple Bloom interrupted her by yelling, "Ah ain't goin' to the Festival, so leave me alone!"

With that, Apple Bloom galloped away, not giving her sister a moment to respond as she bolted up the stairs and into her bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her. With her eyes shut as tight as possible, she went over to her bed and laid on top of it, the tears she desperately tried to conceal streaming down her face.

Opening her eyes slightly, she reached under her pillow and pulled out her blue bonnet, the same one Rumble had retrieved when it flew off her head. Holding it close to her chest, she stopped resisting as she buried her face into her pillow to muffle the sound of her crying.

After a while, her crying had died down to light sobbing, allowing her to lift her head from the pillow. It was only when she was calm did she hear her bedroom door opening. She didn't need to look to know that Applejack had walked in. Quickly, she stuffed the bonnet under her pillow and wiped her eyes clear of any remaining tears.

Sitting on the bed next to her, Applejack said, "Apple Bloom..."

"Ah'm sorry, sis," she interrupted, sniffling. "Ah just...can't go...ah just can't."

"Sure ya can, sugar. Ah know yer really hurt by what happened, but maybe goin' out tonight will help ya. Who knows, ya might meet somepony new."

Apple Bloom's silence was enough of a response for Applejack to give her a small hug and a kiss on her cheek.

"Ah can't make ya go," she said as she got up. "But ah really think ya should. Stayin' here will only make ya feel worse. It's yer choice."

With that, Applejack got up and trotted out of the room, closing the door in her passing. Left alone, Apple Bloom began looking around the room, mentally weighing her options. Taking out the bonnet again, looking at it for a few moments, a small flicker of a smile formed on her lips as she made her decision.


Rainbow Dash rested atop a cloud above Ponyville, a content smile on her face. While everypony was busily preparing for the evening's event, she lounged on her resting spot without a care in the world; she worked better under pressure, so she had no problems waiting until the last minute to prepare.

Letting out a contented sigh, Rainbow rolled on her side and opened her eyes for a moment as a cool breeze came by. However, her eyes shot open when she caught a glimpse of Scootaloo trotting in her direction. She rolled her eyes and let out a groan of annoyance, bracing herself for the inevitable calling from her "number-one fan". However, she was surprised when she heard the sound of hoof-steps coming and going below her, not stopping or even slowing down.

What the hay? Rainbow thought as she looked over the edge of the cloud. When she saw Scootaloo trotting right past her towards the center of town, ignoring everypony else for that matter, she scratched her head in confusion. What am I, invisible? Didn't she even notice me up here?

She didn't linger on those thoughts for very long when she saw Scootaloo stopping by a nearby fountain, her head hanging low with her ears following suit. Scratching her head, she asked aloud, "What's wrong with her?"

Immediately, she jumped off her cloud and flew down next to her, sitting by her side. Hitting her arm in a playful manner, she said, "Hey, squirt! What's happening?"

Rubbing the spot that was just hit, Scootaloo responded flatly, "Hey, Rainbow Dash."

"Whoa, what's with the attitude?" she asked. "Did something happen?"

"It's nothing."

"Doesn't sound like nothing. C'mon, Scoots, tell me what's up."

Scootaloo let out a sigh and said, "You know about me and Sweetie Belle, right?"

"Of course I know," Rainbow chuckled. "You've been together for, what, a few months now, right? How have you two been?"

"We...broke up."

"What!?" she choked out. "What do you mean, 'broke up'? What happened?"

Scootaloo began telling Rainbow Dash everything that happened, from Rumble's arrival to Ponyville and becoming a Crusader to the incident at the field and in the clubhouse. For the first time in a while, as Rainbow listened intently to everything she said, she found herself at a complete loss of words. However, it wasn't really from the events that had happened, but from a vital part of the story that was left out. The longer the story went on without it, the more suspicious Rainbow became.

"She betrayed me for Rumble," Scootaloo finished, her tone still monotone. "So, I broke up with her."

Raising an eyebrow, Rainbow Dash said, "I'm really sorry that happened to you and all, but it doesn't make any sense."

"What do you mean?" she asked, looking up to her.

"Well, it's not like Sweetie Belle to do something like that, especially to you."

"Yeah, well, she did. I don't even care, anyway. She can be happy with him all she wants now."

"I dunno, Scoots," Rainbow said. "Something doesn't sound right about all this. Why did she even kiss Rumble in the first place?"

Scootaloo shrugged her shoulders. "How would I know? I don't know what she was thinking. All I know is that she did it and that..."

"Didn't you ask her?"

Scootaloo fell silent for a moment as the question sank in, her eyes scanning the ground for a moment.

Seeing her reaction, Rainbow crossed her arms and asked, "You did let her explain why she did this, right?"

"Well...n-no, I didn't."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," she said as she flew in front of her, her eyebrows furrowed. "You mean to tell me you broke up with Sweetie Belle without letting her explain what happened and why she did it in the first place?"

Scootaloo biting her lip and giving her a guilt-ridden look was all the answer she needed.

"You've gotta be kidding me! Why not?"

"I-I don't know," she answered softly. "I...I was just so mad at her that I didn't let her explain, I guess."

Rainbow Dash face-hoofed herself as she let out a groan. "I know you were angry and stuff, but you hurt Sweetie Belle even more by not giving her a chance to speak! Maybe she had a good reason to, or maybe it was all a misunderstanding!"

"But..." Scootaloo began, before she was silenced by Rainbow Dash interrupting her.

"I'm not saying Sweetie Belle was right by doing that to you. But you should have known better than to lash out at her like that without..."

"But what if it wasn't?" she interrupted. "What if there wasn't a good reason or it wasn't a misunderstanding? What if she...just doesn't love me anymore?"

Rainbow sat down again and put her hoof over her shoulders. "Whether it is or it isn't, you'll never know unless you talk to her. If she doesn't, then let her tell you why and move on. The least you can do is still be friends, right?"

Rubbing the back of her leg with the opposing hoof, she looked up to Dash and asked, "I guess I can try, but what if she doesn't want to talk to me? After everything that happened, I don't think she'll want to talk to me ever again."

"Maybe not, but you have to try!"

"But..."

"No 'buts', Scootaloo! You have to be the bigger filly and apologize for what you've done! Do you really think losing your friendship with her is worth it, all because you didn't let her tell you what happened?"

Scootaloo fell silent. In an instant, images of the two of them meeting each other for the first time underneath the table of Diamond Tiara's "Cute-Ceañera" flashed across her mind; it reminded her that Sweetie Belle was the first friend she ever made, even before they met Apple Bloom. Although she had ended their relationship, what she didn't think about was losing her as a friend.

"I guess you're right," she said after a few minutes. "But, how should I do it? She's probably too busy getting ready for tonight to want to talk to me now."

Tapping her chin with a hoof, Rainbow looked up to the sky as she thought. Then, she said, "Well, why don't you tell her at the Festival, then? Heck, I'll even help you!"

"R-Really?" Scootaloo asked. "How?"

"Leave that to me," she said with a wink. "You just focus on talking to Sweetie Belle. Catch ya, later!"

As she watched her fly off into the sky, Scootaloo looked at the ground as she scratched the back of her neck. Letting out a sigh, looked at her reflection in the fountain as her thoughts gathered on what Rainbow had said.

Rainbow Dash is right, she thought as she rested her head on the fountain. It's all my fault for yelling at her and not letting her tell me what happened. I hope she can forgive me for what I did. Even if she doesn't love me anymore, I'd really hate to lose her as a friend.