• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 4,650 Views, 167 Comments

Moving On - Bad Horse



Celestia has taken on a new private student, and Twilight must find something to be other than the Faithful Student. But how?

  • ...
24
 167
 4,650

Nothing

"Please wait here, Miss Sparkle," the usher said, halting in front of a plain wooden door on the last landing at the top of the tower staircase. He headed up the final section of stairway and through the trapdoor to the roof.

The maps, books, and telescopes, Twilight knew, were in a donut-shaped room behind that door, circling the staircase. If he'd let her wait there, she could have distracted herself studying the star charts and the fine mechanical astrarium that the sisters used to precisely plan sunrise, sunset, and every other astronomical event years in advance. Celestia called it "the world's most inconvenient clock."

She'd had no problem getting this far. It turned out her name had been written years ago on the list of ponies who should be admitted to see the princesses. She could have come at any time. But the list, unlike princesses, couldn't change its mind over time.

She looked around, squinting in the flickering light of the wall sconces to study the slight depression worn in the center of each wooden stair. She noticed where the mortar was crumbling between the stones in the wall, which piqued her interest, but she saw with a glance that there weren't enough stones to conclude with confidence whether the decay had a Poisson or a power-law distribution. She looked up at the trapdoor and wondered how it could be secured from the inside if the hinge was on the outside.

Always with the questions. If you could just stand here quietly for five minutes and be bored like a normal pony, she scolded her inquisitive mind, I could have a normal life.

The trapdoor finally opened. The usher came down to the landing, said, "Princess Luna will see you now," then turned around and walked back up. Twilight followed him up into the night air.

Princess Luna stood in the open air on the roof of the south tower, which was about forty feet in diameter. Before her was a folding table. Several astronomical instruments lying on it gleamed a dull silver in the white moonlight, though they were probably brass. She was levitating an astrolabe before her in a way that suggested she hoped this would not take so long that she would have to set it down.

The only lights were the moon and the stars. Standing atop a tower high above the city, behind crenellations that blocked much of the light and noise from below but none of the wind, they were as immersed in the night as if they stood on a mountaintop. Luna scoffed at astronomers who "observed" through windows. The temperature, the humidity, and the wind were an important part of what she was orchestrating. Twilight had heard that the only concession Luna made to the harshest thunderstorms and blizzards was a very un-regal wide-brimmed hat, rumored to have once belonged to a royal gardener.

Twilight noticed the absence of guards. She knew Luna could take care of herself, but it still seemed strangely intimate. Celestia rarely went anywhere with less than two guards, and often four within the castle grounds, even though they would only get in the way if anything dangerous happened.

The usher stood at attention just in front of the trapdoor, facing Luna. "Your majesty. Twilight Sparkle, head librarian of the Canterlot Public Library."

"We are well acquainted with Miss Sparkle," Luna said in a regal voice that would ordinarily come from somepony much larger. "It has been too long since our last meeting."

"I beg your pardon, your majesty," Twilight said, curtseying. Goodness, that was more stressful to the knees than she recalled.

"And what brings you to our humble observatory today?"

Here came the awkward part.

"Well, you see, your majesty...."

"Yes?"

"It's just...."

"You require funds for the library, and my sister would not grant them."

"No, nothing like that. It's ... this is going to sound a little bit silly...."

Luna raised one eyebrow at the usher and then glanced downward for a fraction of a second. He touched hoof to horn in a crisp salute, and quickly removed himself down the stairs, closing the door after himself.

"Speak."

Twilight steeled herself to tell Luna everything she had realized in the donut shop. That she was sorry she had tried to cling to the way things were, that she'd come back to Canterlot instead of going to Hoofington and becoming the brilliant mage they'd intended for her to be, that she'd blamed her friends for staying behind instead of staying herself or making new friends. That she couldn't be who they wanted her to be anymore.

"It's nothing," she finally said. If Luna only wanted to hear from her as head librarian, then there really was nothing to say.

Luna's nostrils quivered ever so slightly. "We have much to do and many observations to make before allowing the moon to pass to the second quadrant of its arc tonight."

Twilight sighed. "I just ... wanted to see you. I'm sorry I disturbed you. Please forgive me. I'll just let myself out." She glanced towards the trapdoor and waited for Luna to dismiss her.

"Let us be certain we understand," Luna said. "You came up to the castle. You passed in at the gate, had the porter ring us and waited with him there, walked to our tower, walked all the way up the stairs, waited again for us there, without having any official business to conduct? No report, no petition, no favor?"

"Nothing," Twilight said, lowering her ears.

Luna set the astrolabe down on the table. She looked at Twilight with a steady, unreadable gaze. Then the corners of her lips turned up shyly in a hopeful smile.

"Really?"