• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 15,614 Views, 512 Comments

I guess it could be worse... - Mekapix



New worlds are just a thing of fantasy. That's what we have been told since our birth, that reality is only what we can see, hear, taste, feel and smell. Could anyone handle it if that golden rule was broken?

  • ...
44
 512
 15,614

Chapter 7

“Where the hell did he go? It should not be this hard to find a human in a town filled with techni-coloured pony people.” Sam stood outside the door, the map in his hands with Spike by his side. He glanced back and forth around the town, the ponies were walking around, attending to their daily business while throwing him the occasional glance. Sam didn't notice any of the stares or whispers, he was too busy looking for the missing human.

“I can't believe those three are too busy looking over their notes about you two to help us find one of you two.” Spike muttered. “When did he leave anyway? I could have sworn he was in there with us the entire time.” Spike took a glance at the map, hoping for some sort of clue. “Do you have any ideas what he might want to do?” Sam sighed and stared at the map, then looked to the town again. A small rumbling in his stomach broke him out of his train of thought, then inspiration hit him.

“Food! Josh said he was hungry this morning and we still haven't eaten, he probably went out to find something to eat.” He looked at the dragon hopefully. “He usually likes to eat sweet things, you know where he could find something sweet?” The dragon crossed his arms in thought. He mumbled his thoughts slightly until he got an idea.

“Applejack's farm. He could have gone there.”

“Are you sure?”

“You think he's gone to eat something sweet right? Her farm is called Sweet Apple Acres, it's in the title.” Sam nodded and folded up the map.

“Right then Spike, lead the way but let's be quick, the last time he wandered off on his own it didn't end well.” The dragon nodded and made his way towards one side of town, Sam following close behind. They made their way through town, following a dirt path until a large red barn could be seen in the distance, a forest of apple trees flanked either side of the two.

“So... an apple orchard called Sweet Apple Acres owned by Applejack and the apple family. Seems legit if not a bit typical. Is there a high demand for apples in Ponyville?” Sam asked.

“It's not that there's a demand but Applejack and her family are well known for growing some of the best apples in Equestria. The family is spread all over the country.” Spike explained. Sam let out an impressed whistle.

“Ok, little more impressive than I was expecting.”

Spike chuckled. “Just a little.” They made their way towards the front door and Sam stepped forward, knocking on it a few times. It wasn't long before the voice of, what sounded like, a little girl made its way from the other side of the door.

“Don't worry Big Mac, ah'll get it.” It only took a few moments before the door opened. With a size reaching halfway up the door way, dressed in a yellow t-shirt and blue overalls, was a little girl with cream fur and a red mane and tail. She wore a pink bow and had large yellow eyes which widened at the sight of the human before her. Sam cleared his throat before smiling sheepishly.

“Err, hi little girl, I don't suppose you've seen a-”

“Monster!” She yelled. The young one slammed the door in his face and the quick paced clopping of hooves could be heard moving away from the door.

“Well I suppose that could have gone better.” Sam said. He turned round and looked at Spike. “Maybe it would be better if you asked instead.” The drake nodded and took point. He knocked on the door a few times. This time a heavier sound of hoof clopping came towards the door, it opened to reveal a large, well built pony, clearly male by the look of his body. He had red fur and a scruffy ginger mane and tail, he was wearing brown jeans and a white sleeveless shirt, showing off the large muscles.

'Holy shit! The Hulk's been tango'd!' Sam thought.

“Hey Big Mac, you seen anypony that looks like this?” Spike said, gesturing to the human. Big Mac looked over at him and his eyes widened slightly.

“That's it! That's the monster!” The little girl said. She had been hiding behind one of Big Mac's legs.

“This isn't a monster Apple Bloom. This is Sam, he's a human.” Spike explained. Big Mac narrowed his eyes at the being.

“Ah heard there was somthin' walkin' round Ponyville, just thought folks were being paranoid.” The stallion narrowed his eyes. “You're not a monster here to hurt anypony are ya?” He asked.

'With a guy like you around? You got bigger guns than a metal gear, I don't fancy committing suicide!' Sam thought but decided to voice a better answer. “Definately not Big Mac Sir, me and my friend just kinda found ourselves here but I lost track of him not too long ago. We are just looking for him.” Big Mac just nodded.

“Ah see, well ah haven't seen him but ah've been workin' round the house. Mah sister's in the orchard, she's been workin' all mornin', ya'll could try askin' her.” He then felt a small tug on his jeans and looked down to see the still cautious filly. “Now, now Apple Bloom, he said he's not gonna hurt nopony so there's no need to be scared of him.”

“A-Are ya sure?” She asked as she poked her head out from behind the stallion. Sam saw the look on her face and he thought his teeth would have rotted there and then due to how sweet she looked. He got down on one knee and looked to her.

“Hey, don't worry, I'm not going to hurt anyone-”

“Anypony.” Spike corrected.

“What he said.” Sam replied, pointing to the dragon with his thumb. “Anyway, your name's Apple Bloom?” She nodded.

“T-That's right, Big Mac is my brother and my sister is Applejack.” She replied.

“Well I've met your sister already and she knows I wouldn't hurt anypony. Who would want to hurt lovely ponies like you guys anyway?” He said with a smile. Apple Bloom nodded slightly and made her way towards the human. He knew that it just needed one more little push. “Don't worry, you seem much smarter than somepony who would judge another based on how they look.” Apple Bloom had a sudden flashback to when she went out in search for a zebra that the whole town didn't trust, solely based on how she looked.

“Y-You're right..” She said as she stood in front of him. He smiled and held out his hand.

“Nice to meet you Apple Bloom.”

“Nice to meet you Sam.” She replied, a smile growing on her muzzle as she returned the handshake. “Ah could help you find mah sister if you want, ah saw which way she was goin' into the orchard earlier.”

“Thanks Apple Bloom, that'd really help.” Sam replied. The filly smiled happily before she set off towards the orchard, Sam and Spike following behind. Sam looked around a few minutes after entering the orchard, he was glad someone was there with him as the entire land was a maze of trees , it wasn't long before he lost sight of the barn they were just at. As they strolled through the forest, they were unaware of the gazes locked on the humans figure from a tree a fair distance away.

“I don't understand, why don't we go grab him now? He's on his own and he has no chance against two of us.” One of them said.

“You fool! You heard the Queen, she said that she needed to gather more information before we made our move. The small pony will pose no threat but the dragon might prove otherwise, besides, you saw the magic and the weapons they possess. Do you really want to fight against that?” The other hissed. The creatures, both black as night and wearing brown cloaks to hide themselves peered out the tree at Sam. They shivered and moved back into the tree.

“You're right, I do not wish to anger them just to be on the receiving end of their power.”

“Good, we obey the orders our Queen has given us. We watch, we wait and then we get them when we are given the signal.” The two of them nodded before turning back to watch their prey.

Apple Bloom was skipping along merrily, humming a tune to herself as she made her way through the trees, close behind her was Spike and Sam. It wasn't long before the sound of thumping then the tapping of wood made its way to the group. They eventually came across the sight of a certain cowpony delivering a swift kick to the side of a tree, action being followed by the apples in the tree falling out and landing directly into the baskets surrounding it.

“Hey Applejack, we got visitors.” Apple Bloom stated. Applejack turned rouns and a small smile grew on her face.

“Spike, Sam, howdy. What brings you two out here?”

“We're looking for Josh, he wandered off earlier and we don't know where he went.” Sam explained.

“Sam said they were hungry earlier and so we though Josh may have come here for something to eat.” Spike added.

“Well sorry partner but ah haven't seen him all day, I thought he was still with ya'll at the library.”

Sam let out a disgruntled groan. “Great, I can't believe he wandered off, we haven't been here a full twenty four hours and this is the second time I've lost him.”

“Now hold on there Sam.” Applejack interrupted. “Why ah'm sure he's fine, when a creature nopony has ever seen before walks into the middle of town, ponies are gonna say if he's injured or not. Besides, ah'm sure he'll return to Twilight's after he's got something to eat.”

“I guess you're right, maybe I am worrying too much...” Sam replied. A few seconds later a rumbling sound emerged from Sam's stomach. “Huh... I guess looking for him and being part of Twilight's little study session made me forget about breakfast.”

Applejack gave a small chuckle. “C'mon, I just finished the last tree for the day, you help me carry the apples back to the barn and you can stick around for lunch, mah treat.” Spike gave Sam a small nudge.

“Do it man, Applejack's apple pies are the best around.”

“But what about Twilight? Shouldn't she know where we went?” Sam asked.

“You're right! She won't be happy if she thinks I got you lost. I'll go let her know you're here, you can help Applejack.” Sam gave an approving nod and watched as the dragon made his way back into town.

“So then.” Sam said as he picked up one of the apple baskets. “Let's get going.”

XXX

“This place is so strange, those two creatures reside here?” Asked one of the changelings.

“Yes, at least that's what the Queen believes.” Replied the other.

“So this is where she sensed the large magical energy?”

“That's right Scuttle. I suspect these ponies were the cause of the energy. They were here earlier, reconstructing this place before the first team managed to get in.” The two hooded figures made their way through the humans' house, looking over everything they found.

“Nothing seems unlike the usual house, a bathroom, bedrooms, kitchen, living area. I don't understand Scratch, they were described as being such powerful warriors, I can't say I'm too impressed.” Scuttle exclaimed as he looked round the rooms.

“You didn't read the report have you Scuttle?” His partner replied. Scuttle looked over at his fellow changeling and shook his head. “It said that the first team found some kind of visual magic document, one that showed a piece of their history we believe, the selection of one of their leaders when he was a child. It also shows their warriors and the amazing strength and weapons they possess.”

“I see, where is the document and the first team now?”

“Crutch and Niche are watching over one of the humans while Del is keeping an eye on the other. As for the document...” Scratch looked over to the device in the living room with a large black screen. “It's supposed to be on this... thing.” Scuttle made his way over to the device and looked it over.

“What is this thing?”

“We don't know. The Queen believes it to be similar to a fortune tellers globe.” Scratch pulled out a small scroll from his robe and opened it, scanning the information inside. “It appears to reveal images when activated and...” He looked around until he found a long piece of plastic with small buttons on it. “This appears to be what controls the device. Crutch left instructions on how to control it when he figured it out.” Scratch followed the instructions and pressed the red button at the top of the hand held object. The screen of the device lit up and displayed a shifting mass of black and white.

“Is this supposed to be a morphing zebra?” Scuttle asked.

“I'm not sure, one moment.” With a few more minutes of button pressing, a large, text filled box labelled 'Menu' appeared on the screen. “Here we go, we go to the part labelled 'History' and then press select on the first one.” Scratch followed the instructions and the screen faded out, only to be replaced a few moments later by music and many white dots in a night sky.

“Here we go, now we just watch.” Scuttle nodded and took a seat on the sofa while Scratch joined him.

XXX

Sam came out of Applejack's home, his belly full and his face a beet red. Applejack walked out with him with her hands cupping her face.

“Ah'm so sorry for that, ah've never seen her act that way.”

“I-It's fine Applejack, I'm sure no ill intentions were meant by it...”

5 minutes earlier

Sam sat at the table, eating the piece of apple pie that had been served for him. Big Mac and Applejack were sitting on the side opposite to him while Apple Bloom took her seat next to him, at the end of the table was an elderly green furred pony with a white mane and wearing a long orange dress.

“So, Sam was it?” She asked.

“That's right Mrs. Smith.”

“Ah no need to call me that, just call me Granny, everypony else does.”

“Ok then Granny.” Sam replied with a smile.

“So ah take it you're Applejacks coltfriend?” She asked. Applejack began choking slightly on her pie, eventually starting to cough heavily while Big Mac and Apple Bloom giggled slightly.

“A coltfriend? What's that?” Sam replied.

“Ah you know, a special somepony, one of the herd.” Sam frowned a little as he thought about it.

'What? Hang on, replace pony with body... special somebody... isn't a colt a guy? A guyfriend... boyfriend, she thinks Applejack's my...' “Oh no Granny, me and Applejack aren't like that, I'm not even a pony so I don't know how well it would work out.”

“Well what are you talkin' about? Applejack here is in her prime. Look at her, mane and tail as gold as Celestia's sun, the build of an athelete and though she don't like showin' it, she has the perfect hips for bearing foals.”

“Granny!” Applejack exclaimed, her orange furred cheeks burning brightly for all to see.

“What? There's no need to be embarrassed bout it.”

“Well we're not together in that way, ain't that right Sam?”

“That's right.” He replied, his cheeks glowing crimson too. Granny shook her her head and got out of her seat, hobbling over to the human.

“Well ah can't see why not. Look at this here feller, stand up dearie.” Sam nodded and stood up. “He looks strong, he's a gentlecolt too. He may lack fur and a tail and he may not have much of a mane but that don't matter.”

“That's because he's not a pony Granny.”

“Now AJ, it don't matter if you're a different species for you to like somepony.”

“Yeah AJ... You shouldn't judge a pony based on looks.” Big Mac said through his chuckling while Apple Bloom was making sure to keep her hand over her mouth to stop the laughter from bursting out. Applejack shot her brother a glare then moved it to her sister, both of them still holding back their laughing.

“That's right, now let's see here...” Granny Smith said as she looked Sam up and down. “He seems spry enough, he could probably be a good help around the farm.” She grabbed one of his arms and started squeezing it. “He's got good muscle on him, ya work out a lot sonny?”

“Y-Yeah I do.”

“Makes sense, polite too.” She looked him up and down one more time before smiling. “Seems like a fine colt to me, you know there aren't many stallions around AJ so you better snap him up quick.”

“Granny! Please stop!” Applejack demanded. Sam's entire face was flushed completely red and felt so hot that he thought steam was going to come out of his ears. “Granny just gave a wide grin.

“I mean it AJ, you better get him quick. Heck, with a flank like that I might even try to get him.” Granny Smith exclaimed as she slapped Sam on the rear. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Apple Bloom and Big Mac burst into a full blown laughter, tears rolling down their cheeks while Granny Smith was cackling too. Sam's eyes went wide as he stammered.

“I-I-I think I sh-should head off now!” He said. Applejack grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the door.

“Come on Sugarcube, I'll get you back to Twi's.”

Present time

“Ah still can't believe Granny slapped ya'll on the flank...” Applejack said as she looked down at her hooves. They were making their way back towards Twilight's library while the sun was beginning to set.

“It's fine, family lives to embarrass us, it's just how they are.” Sam reassured her.

“Ah guess so.”

“I mean, I'm sure that your mum and dad embarrass you too.” Applejack let out a sigh and nodded.

“Yeah they do, well, did. We don't see em much no more.”

“Why's that?” Sam asked.

“They're travelling around the world you see. They're searching high and low to find the perfect apple crop, we haven't seen em in some time but we all still write to each other so it's not like we are all outta touch.” Sam nodded along. It wasn't long before he saw a few figures approaching under the afternoon sun.

“Hey Sam! Where've you been?” Josh yelled. Sam sighed and shook his head head as he approached his friend, followed by Twilight and Lyra.

“Where have I been? I was looking for you, where have you been?”

“I was at Sugarcube corner. It's a pretty big bakery and it turns out Pinkie works there, her and I have been baking most of the day.” Josh smiled as he rubbed his stomach slightly. “Got a great bite to eat there too.”

“You and your gut. Then again, I was getting some lunch at Applejack's when I gave up looking for you.”

“How did that go?” Josh asked. Sam shuddered a little but quickly composed himself.

“It... was interesting to say the least.” Sam turned his attention to the mares behind his friend. “So where are you all headed off to?”

“We wanted to get you guys some new clothes.” Lyra stated.

“So we thought we'd get Josh over to Rarity's, since you're here why don't you come with us?” Twilight suggested.

“Sounds like a good idea, dunno how we'll pay for anything though.”

“Don't worry.” Twilight said “Rarity said that if we visited her shop, she'd take care of your first order for free.”

“Wow, that's pretty nice of her.” Sam stated.

“Come on then, we're burning day light!” Josh exclaimed. Applejack said her goodbyes and headed back to the farm while Lyra responded likewise and headed to her home. Twilight lead the two to a large building that looked like a theme park carousel ride.

“This is Carousel Boutique.” Twilight exclaimed as they made their way to the door. Sam leaned towards Josh and whispered.

“What on earth, or on equestria in this case, would posses someone to make a fashion boutique based on a theme park ride?”

“No idea.” Josh whispered back. “You ride horses on a carousel, maybe she likes to ride or be ridden.”

“You really think that someone as posh and sophisticated as her would base her shop on sex?” Josh looked at Sam and tapped the side of his nose.

“It's always the ones you least suspect Sam, I expect that's a universal rule.”

“You know what? When we get in there, you're not allowed to talk...ever.”