• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 15,610 Views, 512 Comments

I guess it could be worse... - Mekapix



New worlds are just a thing of fantasy. That's what we have been told since our birth, that reality is only what we can see, hear, taste, feel and smell. Could anyone handle it if that golden rule was broken?

  • ...
44
 512
 15,610

Chapter 5

Sam stepped out of the rooms shower, a towel in his hands as he used it to dry the back of his head. He was wearing a robe to cover himself as he walked into the room, looking over to see Josh dressed in some supplied nightwear, fiddling with a silver pocket watch.

“You brought that with you?” He asked.

“I picked it up when you went to pee. You know, before everything went to hell. Well... not hell, more like went to magical not exactly pony pony land.”

“Fair enough, what have you got it out for?”

“Just setting the new time.” Josh said as he looked between his watch and a clock on the wall. “Hey Sam?” He said.

“Yeah?”

“What's going on here...? Every minute we stay here makes me think that this is actually real. I was willing to just go with it for now but if I manage to sleep and then wake up back here...You can't fall asleep and wake up in a dream.” Sam frowned a little and walked over to his friend. He sat down next to him and wrapped his arm round Josh, resting his hand on his friends shoulder.

“Everything is going to be ok. I'm not going to lie to you, I've been thinking the same thing but these ponies seem to be friendly, they don't seem like they want to hurt us. Besides, Celestia said we'd go home eventually.”

“Once we paid off our debt... in twenty years...”

“I'm sure we can find a way of making money quicker so don't worry, we will be fine. Now I think it's time for sleep, we've had a long day and we'll probably have another day just as long tomorrow.”
The two nodded to each other and said their good nights.

XXX

“Are you happy now...?” A voice asked. Josh opened his eyes to see himself suspended in complete darkness.

“W-Who's there?” Josh replied. He turned his head round in the darkness but couldn't see anyone.

“You know who I am...” The voice replied, clearly being female in origin. “You wanted to get away and now you have... I hope you'll be happy now seeing as it's because of you I won't be...” The voice replied.

“N-No! I'm didn't want it to happen! I swear I didn't know what would happen...” Josh yelled into the darkness.

“Your fault... All your fault...” The voice repeated as it faded into nothing, leaving Josh to feel tears stain his cheeks as he felt his eyes close.

XXX

“Josh, wake up. Come on man it's time to get out of here.” Sam said as he shook Josh awake. Josh's eyes darted open, he threw his head up instantly, not realising Sam was standing over him and their heads collided with each other. They both groaned in pain and held their heads.

“Son of a bitch mate, you wasn't dreaming of shaving that pig again was you?” Sam asked as he rubbed his fore head. Josh stared down at his legs while rubbing his forehead too.

“No, I was dreaming of... her...”

“Her? Her who?” Sam asked. Josh gave him a solemn look. Sam nodded and lowered his hand.

“Oh, I see...” He replied with a sigh. “Well, I can understand if it still haunts you but it wasn't your fault. Come on, we got a magical pony land to explore and we get to go back to our house.” Josh looked back at his legs and nodded slowly.

“I guess...” Sam placed his hand on his friends shoulder.

“We still got those chocolate doughnuts you made the other day, I'm sure they are ok.” Sam suggested. Josh perked up a little and smiled.

“I like chocolate doughnuts... Oh alright then, lets go. Once more into the breach.” Josh said as he hopped off the couch.

“Once more? Since when have we done this before?” The door opened and a grey pegasus clad in golden armour walked through. The two boys looked over and smiled. “Hey guys, what's up?” Sam asked.

“Clothing is being brought to you as we speak. Once you are dressed, you are to follow us down to where Princess Luna and the Elements of Harmony are waiting.” The guard stated.

“Thanks for letting us know Mr...?” Sam replied.

“Wingbeat.”

“Thank you WingBeat, can I ask a question?” The guard nodded. “What are the elements of harmony?”

XXX

“So what do you girls think of the humans?” Luna asked. Her and the six mares were waiting by the front doors to the castle. “Do you think they will fit in well down in Ponyville?”

“I think we might have a little trouble introducing them to the rest of Ponyville but ever since the incident with Zecora, everypony has become more accepting of others.” Twilight stated.

“Ah dunno Twi', these aren't just a different kind of pony. Those two are a different species, it may not be so easy this time.” Applejack stated.

“W-Well they aren't that different, they look a bit like ponies, just without any fur or hooves...” Fluttershy interjected.

“Just make sure that the two of them don't cause any trouble, ok?” Luna asked.

“You mean like making sure they don't go crawling into anypony else's bed?” Pinkie asked, causing a blush from the alicorn. As Twilight reprimanded her pink friend, the two humans walked towards them alongside Wingbeat.

“So they saved the world from the Nightmare Moon and Discord the 'God of Chaos and Disharmony' using the Elements of Harmony and the Elements of Harmony are six jewels that embody the power of friendship that their wielders possess?” Sam summarised.

“That's correct sir.”

“Please, just call me Sam and you can call him Josh.” He said as he pointed the other human.

“They saved the world using five magical necklaces and a magical tiara, it seems so... girly.” Josh said, cringing slightly.

“It's still better than what we could have done though, you would have probably tried boring him to death... though that might have actually worked.” Sam retorted. Josh just rolled his eyes in response until he saw the mares.

“Hello girls, how are you all today?” Josh asked with a smile and a wave, only getting a likewise response from Pinkie Pie.

“We are great, how about you?” She replied.

“A little hungry to be honest.”

“I'm sorry,” Luna started “but I'm afraid that we do not have time for breakfast. My sister is already attending her royal duties as we speak and I must attend to mine momentarily.”

“We can go get breakfast back in Ponyville, no need to worry Princess.” Twilight said. The Princess smiled and nodded towards Wingbeat, with a responding nod he left the room.

“Well then, it's time for you two to return back to Ponyville.” Luna said as she waved over a guard carrying a pouch. “There are enough bits in here to allow you to pay your way for a little while. You'll need to get a job in town and once you do, some of your monthly payment will come to us in order to pay your debt.”

“How long will it take us to pay off our debt?” Sam asked.

“I cannot lie to you, it will take years to repay your debt.” The two of them looked to each other, grimacing slightly. “However, we are aware that you are eager to get home so me and my sister managed to find a way to help. There will be times when my sister and I will be troubled or unable to perform some duties, if you help us when we ask then we shall remove an amount of your debt depending on how good of a job you do.”

“So it won't take as long as we thought?” Josh asked.

“As long as you two do a good job and don't cause any more trouble, no. It won't take as long as we previously thought.” She giggled, and the mares behind her smiled, as the two boys high fived each other. “Now, it is time for your departure. I wish you the best of luck in your new life in Equestria.” They smiled and followed the six mares out to a prepared carriage, waving goodbye to the Princess and receiving one back.

“Off we go then, once more into the breach.” Sam said as the got into the carriage.

“Hey! Don't steal my line!” Josh retorted.

XXX

The carriage descended back into the town, it was still early in the morning so none of the other ponies could be seen in the streets.

“So how do we introduce ourselves to the town? I doubt it'd be a good idea to just waltz around right in front of everybody.” Josh said.

“Everypony.” Rarity corrected.

“Right in front of everypony.” Josh repeated.

“You do have a point, I did send a letter to Spike to grab someponies who might be able to help you two adjust and make you two feel a little more welcome. They should be waiting in my library.” Twilight told them.

“As for introducing you two to the rest of Ponyville, I'm sure that I can do something about that.” Pinkie said as she twirled her thick moustache. “I will see you guys later, I got some planning to do!” She ended as she vanished, leaving a Pinkie shaped dust cloud in her place.

“What is she talking about... and when did she grow the moustache?” Sam asked.

“That's just Pinkie Pie, I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.” Rainbow answered. She gave a quick stretch of her arms then flared out her wings. “Well I better make sure the weather is clear for the day, I'll talk to you guys later.” With that, Rainbow beat her wings and flew into the sky leaving Josh and Sam to stand there watching.

“I've never been so jealous...” Sam mumbled.

“Oh, I need to get going too, I need to make sure I feed all my animals. Goodbye.” Fluttershy said as she flapped her wings and left at a much more relaxed pace than her cyan friend.

“I suppose I should get back to mah farm, Granny Smith'll be up soon and you know how she gets if she's not got nopony to help her make breakfast.” Applejack mentioned.

“I also need to go, I got dresses that need making and nopony's going to do it for me.” Rarity added. With a wave, both of them said their goodbyes and made their way home. The two of the humans faced Twilight who smiled back at them.

“Well I'll take you two to my home then.”

“Woah, woah. That's a bit rushed, shouldn't you just take us to the library?” Sam asked.

“But I live at the library.” Twilight replied with a hint of confusion. “I love it there, I can read books whenever I want and I can study all day!” She said in a giddy tone.

“Well then... Lead the way Miss Sparkle.” Sam said. She nodded and began walking.

“You think she has a bunch of cats too?” Josh asked. Sam smirked a little before shrugging and following the mare. It didn't take them long to approach the large tree and enter the library. Spike was sitting on a sofa inside with a book in his claws, he was wearing blue jeans like the day before while wearing a white shirt under a purple hoodie. He looked up from his book and looked over at the pony and humans closing the door.

“Hey Spike, is our help here yet?” Twilight asked.

“Oh hi Twilight, they're just in the kitchen. Hey guys, how did it go with the Princess?” He asked as he closed the book.

“There was a small problem but it was sorted out quickly, everything else went pretty well though.” Twilight explained.

“The Princesses are working on a way that'll allow us to go home too.” Sam added.

“That's great you two, did she say when it would be ready?”

“Well, that's kinda the small problem.” Josh said. “Due to some, well, circumstances, we are going to be staying here a little longer. We owe the Princess a little bit of money so we're not leaving until we pay it back.”

“Well how much do you owe?” Spike asked.

“Oh, just some pocket change...” Josh replied while scratching his nose, trying to play it off as nothing.

“I would not call twenty five thousand bits pocket change.” Twilight interjected. Spike's eyes grew wide as he dropped his book on the floor.

“You've been here a day and you owe the Princesses twenty five thousand bits?!”

“On the plus side, I did get to hug Princess Luna in her underwear.” Josh grinned before looking at Twilight. “You ponies have really soft fur too, it was like hugging a giant ball of cotton... with boobs.” Twilight and Spike both stood there with their jaws hitting the floor while Sam had his face in his hand. The human then delivered a sharp slap round the back of Josh's head before turning to their hosts.

“Please ignore him, it'll help in the long run.” He suggested. “Josh, you sit on the couch, stop being a dumbass and think about what you've done. Twilight, do you have any maps of the area? It'd be easier to learn about town a bit more without just waltzing around town and scaring every pony we see.”

Twilight nodded and walked over to a group of shelves while Josh sat on the couch and stared up at the ceiling. “There should be some maps in here somewhere, mind helping me look Spike?” The dragon nodded and walked over to the shelves.

“I'll help too.” Sam declared before looking to Josh. “You, stay.” Josh made sure that neither pony or dragon saw him as he stuck his middle finger up at his friend. Sam walked over to the shelves and began searching through them.

“So who is this 'help' you mentioned?” Sam asked.

“There are two of them. One of them is an archaeologist, she likes to learn about ancient cultures and how they lived. She also knows a lot about a ponies biology so I thought it might help if she could learn about you two, both your culture and biology. Her friend is a dentist and a nutritionist, could help learn more about what you can and can't eat.” Twilight explained.

“Really? I thought you ate fruits and vegetables and stuff, why would we need a nutritionist?”

“Well, can you eat sweets like cupcakes and muffins?”

“Yup.”

“Bread?”

“Indeed.”

“What about eggs?”

“Of course we can. See? We don't really need any help about eating.”

“Amazing, I bet you'd love Pinkie's hay and dandelion sandwiches too.” Twilight said with a smile but only earning an odd look from Sam.

“You actually eat flowers and hay?” He asked.

“Well duh dude, they are ponies remember?” Josh retorted from the couch. Sam groaned and rolled his eyes but didn't look back at his friend. Josh giggled a little and laid his head back again, his eyes widening at the sight above him.

“All right, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.” Sam replied. The three kept looking through the shelves, completely oblivious to what was happening to the other human. “So what do these two look like?”

“Mon haff a ween oat wiff a aua-mawine mame an olden eyef, uvver mon haff a woo oat wiff a ite an woo mame aff wew aff weepp woo eyef.” Josh garbled, earning an expasperated sigh from the other human.

“Josh, please speak properly, I have no idea what you're saying.”

“Buh vey haff air innerf in my wob.” Josh replied, getting another sigh from Sam.

“Josh! English please.” Sam said. He heard a strange popping sound and furrowed his brow.

“I said that one has a green coat with an aqua-marine mane and golden eyes while the other has a blue coat with a blue and white mane and deep blue eyes.”

“And hold would you know that?”

“Because one of them had their fingers in my mouth and the other keeps stroking me!” All three that were searching through the shelves turned round to see a light blue unicorn dressed in a white mini-skirt and a dark red tank top that showed off her midriff, she was in front of Josh and staring at his mouth. Behind him was the mint green unicorn wearing dark blue jeans and an orange sleeveless top who was poking at Josh's cheeks while running her other hand along his bare arm.

“Sorry, it's just that... I've never seen anything like you before...” The mint green unicorn said as if in a trance. “Can I... touch you more...?” She asked. Josh looked at her and his eyes went wide. She leaned in closer until her nose was touching his, he could feel her panting slightly as they gazed into each others eyes. “Please.” She said breathily.

“Stranger danger... stranger danger!” Josh said as he clambered to his feet, running over to the other three and hiding behind Sam. “Help Sam!”

“Why?” Sam asked. “You've already gotten that close to a princess so I don't see your problem.” He giggled. Josh rolled his eyes and stayed behind his friend, using him as a meat shield.

“I'm sorry, it's just... look at you! You two are like nothing I've seen before. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Hi, my name is Colgate Flossworth, nice to meet you.”

“It's nice to meet you, my name is Samuel Johnston. The one cowering behind me is Joshua Wendleton, say hello Josh.” Josh eeped and hid his face behind Sam's shoulder. “Josh says hi.”

“They couldn't have scared him that much, did they?” Twilight asked.

“Actually, despite how strange and forward he can be, when it comes to particular things he can get very shy. Just give him a minute.” Sam said before turning to the guests. “So what did you mean by the touching stuff?”

“Well we just wanted to examine you two a bit more, see what you look like.” Colgate explained.

“Ah right, see Josh? Nothing to be worried about.” Josh pulled out from behind Sam and walked up next to him, still a little red in the cheeks.

“Awww, he's kinda cute isn't he? Like a little foal who hides behind his mother.” Colgate commented. Josh went more red but cleared his throat as if nothing was wrong.

“Anyway, what do you need us to do?” He asked.

“Are you two about the same? Biologically speaking, like organs, limbs, bones and such?” Lyra asked, earning two nods. “Ok then. Sam was it? Would you mind if you could just remove your top so I can examine your torso? Colgate, you can examine Josh's teeth and diet seeing as I mat have scared him a little.” All three recipents nodded while Twilight and Spike restarted their search for the town map.

XXX

“Well that's interesting...” Said a female voice as she looked through a pair of binoculars. Her figure was hidden inside a bush as she stared through the lenses and into the library's main room, viewing the unknown creatures. “They seem strange and... slightly stupid. They should make for easy prey, should go report this.” The figure waited for no pony to be able to see before jumping from the bush and began buzzing through the air, heading for the large forest near the edge of town.

Author's Note:

Sorry it's taken so long to get a chapter out but I've had a fair few issues the last two weeks, I will try too stay up to date but studies might get in the way so please, be patient and I'll write them as quick as I can.