• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 15,603 Views, 512 Comments

I guess it could be worse... - Mekapix



New worlds are just a thing of fantasy. That's what we have been told since our birth, that reality is only what we can see, hear, taste, feel and smell. Could anyone handle it if that golden rule was broken?

  • ...
44
 512
 15,603

Chapter 13

“Now make sure that you get along with everypony.” Twilight said.

“We will.” Sam replied.

“Don't forget about studying up.”

“We won't.” Josh replied with a sigh.

“Make sure that you stay away from the Everfree forest.”

“We will.” They replied in unison.

Twilight kept talking to the two humans as the train arrived at the Ponyville train station. Applejack was loading up her luggage onto the train just as Rarity finished with her own.

“How long is Twilight going to keep yammering? The train will leave soon.” Rainbow Dash sighed.

“I'm sure she won't be much longer.” Fluttershy replied.

“I'm starting to feel sorry for them, she's been telling them what they should and shouldn't do for the last...” Rarity checked a clockwork watch on her wrist. “Hour and a half I think?”

“Does she really believe summin will happen to 'em?” Applejack asked as she finished loading her luggage.

“She's just being a big old worry pants because of what happened in Canterlot.” Pinkie said. They all chuckled slightly and watched their unicorn friend waffle off more orders.

“Don't go out late at night just in case something happens to you.” Twilight ordered.

“We won't.” They answered in a very bored tone.

“Also don't eat too mu-”

“Twilight, come on! The train's about to leave!” Rainbow Dash cried out.

“Ok, coming!” Twilight yelled back before turning back to the humans. “Right, we are going to go to the Crystal Empire to inform Princess Cadence about the treaty with the changelings. We'll be gone for-”

“About a week.” Josh finished. “And we are to be extra careful during that time.” He said in a monotonous voice.

“We are also not allowed to attempt any magical activity while you are away and we must be well behaved at all times.” Sam continued in the same tone.

Twilight smiled. “Good boys.”

“Thanks mum.” They replied sarcastically. Twilight rolled her eyes and grabbed her bags, heading towards the train. After a few minutes, all the ponies were in the train and had their heads hanging out of the window, waving to the two humans.

“See you guys later!” Rainbow yelled.

“Don't get into too much trouble!” Rarity said.

“Don't get into any trouble!... If that's ok...” Fluttershy blurted out.

“Stay safe!” Twilight said with a smile.

“Don't do anything ah wouldn't do, ya hear?” Applejack asked rhetorically.

“And make sure you have fun!” Pinkie added, waving both of her arms crazily.

“We will.” Josh said with a wave.

“See you soon.” Sam added with a smile and a wave. The train began pulling away and in moments, the locomotive and the girls on board were out of sight. Sam let out a sigh while Josh stretched.

“Well then, what do we do now?” Josh asked.

“I suppose we could go on a tour of the town, it's not like we've had a good look around plus it'd probably be best if we got a bit more familiar with the townsfolk.” Sam replied.

“So they don't think we're monsters, spies, tourists or door to door salesmen?”

“Precisely.” They headed off on their way, not noticing the three pairs of eyes watched from the inside of a bush as the two humans left the station.

“Are they the ones you were talking about?” The purple pair of eyes asked.

“I know one of 'em, dunno bout that other one. They look the same so ah think so.” The orange pair replied.

“That's them all right! They both came to Rarity's shop a while back.” The green pair answered.

“Are they dangerous?” Purple asked again.

“Nah, they're real nice.” Orange replied.

“Then why are we hiding in a bush?”

“Ah... err... Ah'm not too sure.”

“Uhm, girls?” Green interrupted. “Where'd they go?”

“Maybe they went back home?” A pair of blue eyes suggested.

“I don't think so, they weren't walking in the direction of their house.” Green said.

“Maybe they went to their jobs?” Purple mentioned.

“Don't think so.” A pair of brown eyes said. “They haven't got proper jobs yet, one of them only has an apprenticeship and the other only managed to get a part time job at the apple farm yesterday.”

“What about the spa?” Orange said.

“I very much doubt it.” Blue and brown said in unison.

“Hey... Does anypony else feel like something is a bit strange here?” Purple asked. Green and orange nodded.

“Like what?” Blue and brown said together once again. The other three pairs of eyes grew wide. Three little fillies turned around to see the two humans crouching down, all of them eye level with each other.

“Howdy.” Sam said as he waved a little.

“So who are we looking for?” Josh added with a cheeky grin. The three little fillies just uhhmed and ahhed while looking at their hooves.

“Now who have we got here?” Josh said, he put his hand to his chin in mock thought before pointing at the green eyed filly with a white coat and a mane that had different shades of purple. She was wearing a familiar white dress. “Now I remember you're Sweetie Belle, Rarity's sister but I'm drawing a blank on you two.”

“This little one here.” Sam said, rubbing the orange eyed filly's red mane. “Is Applejack's little sister Apple Bloom.” She smiled widely, bouncing slightly as the overalls covering her white t-shirt bounced with her.

“Ah.” Josh said with a nod. He then turned his eyes to the orange filly with a purple mane and tail. She was wearing a dark orange short sleeved shirt and shorts. “What's your name then little one?”

She stuttered a little before Apple Bloom gave her a slight push. “S-Scootaloo, my name is Scootaloo.”

“Nice to meet you Scootaloo.” Sam said, offering his hand. She smiled and shook it before repeating the process with Josh.

“So then, back to business.” Josh started. “Who are the three of you looking for?” They shuffled around nervously while the two humans watched with knowing smiles.

“We uhh... Don't remember?” Apple Bloom replied with an obviously fake smile.

“Oh? Is that so?” Sam asked with a sly grin. The three fillies looked at each other before nodding quickly. Sam and Josh exchanged an amused looked before Josh stretched, standing up straight.

“Well in that case, you wanna help us out?” He asked. “We want to take a walk round town, get to know where everything is. We could use some company as well as someone to explain the town to us, fancy the job?” The three fillies looked at each other with large grins.

“Well Josh, I think we just found us our tour guides.” Sam told him.

XXX

“So where are we headed first?” Josh asked the white filly he carried on his shoulders.

“It depends, are you looking for something?” Sweetie Belle replied.

“Let's see... Twilight wanted us to make sure we knew where the local hospital was as well as giving them our details. She got really pushy about it after she witnessed Josh's 'death scene' at home.” Sam said before looking at the two little mares he had leaning over his shoulder. “After coming back from Applejack's farm yesterday, I ran into Twilight who was visiting because she wanted to look at some of the things we had. When we came eventually got back, we found Josh in the living passed out with 'blood' all over his body. Twilight thought he'd been viscously attacked.”

“She overreacted! I just made a huge batch of doughnuts that I may have put too much jam in. I had to get rid of them somehow so I ate them, got a bit messy then fell asleep on the couch. And you know what? I'd do it again, it was great and I don't regret a single moment of it!... Well except the throwing up afterwards, that I could have lived without.” Josh defended. Sam rolled his eyes before looking at the fillies.

“Could you show us where it is?”

“Sure!” Scootaloo replied. “It's not actually too far from here.” Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom began to guide the two towards the Ponyville hospital. Along the way, they were pointing out a few ponies and stores to Sam and Josh, including Quills and Sofas, a flower stall run by a mare named Roseluck and the town hall that housed the office of Mayor Mare. They eventually arrived at a large building with a sign outside saying Ponyville Hospital. The five of them entered the building then walked up to the reception desk.

“Excuse me miss?” Sam said. Behind the desk, looking through some papers, was a snow white mare with a pink mane and tail. Her mane was tied in a bun at the back and a nurses hat rested on top of it, she also wore a pristine nurses uniform.

“Yes dear? How may I help you?” She asked without looking up.

“We've recently moved into town and a friend of ours advised us to come here so that the hospital had our details, just in case something were to happen.” Sam explained. Still not looking up at the two, the nurse opened a draw and pulled out a form before placing it, and a quill, in front of them.

“Please fill this in and return it back here when you're done.”

“Thank you.” Sam replied. The fillies hopped down from the humans so that they could all sit down, Josh let out a slight 'oomph' sound as the three of them jumped into his lap, allowed Sam to use the space to write on the document.

“Let's see here...” Sam muttered. “Names, yadda yadda yadda. Age, 20 years old.”

“Y'all are only 20 years old?? That's younger than ah am.” Apple Bloom said in surprise.

“Yup, only 20. How old are you three then?” Josh asked.

“Ah'm 53.”

“52” Sweetie Belle answered.

“55” Scootaloo replied. Josh's eyes twitched slightly as he heard their ages.

“You're in your... fifties? How the... But...” Josh then let out a defeated sigh and muttered. “I have three talking pony people in my lap, age isn't what I should be questioning if I really wanna start.”

Sam smirked at his friend before returning to the paper. “Next, occupation. Hmmmm, we don't really have anything yet.”

“Temporarily bumming together?” Josh said, earning a eyebrow so raised for Sam that it looked like it was about to fly away. “What?” Josh asked, thinking for a few moments over what he said before mentally face palming.

“You're a proper tit, you know that?” Sam asked, getting a shamed nod from Josh.

“What are you two talking about?” Sweetie asked.

“Nothing!” They both blurted out in a panic, causing Sweetie Belle to look at them confused before shrugging.

“Moving on... Place of parents/guardians...” Sam said. The two of them stared at the paper in silence for a few moments.

“I wonder how they're doing...” Josh said. “What do you think they're doing right now?”

“Knowing your mother, she's probably forced the entire country in a single search party to find us.” Sam said with a slight chuckle, that chuckle then became a sad smile, then it just became a depressed look.

“She's your mum too remember? Maybe not in blood but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't rip the ground apart for you either. Josh replied, giving Sam a pat on his back. He looked down at the paper before sighing. “I'm sorry mum, we'll be back soon so don't miss us too much.” Sam filled in the spot N/A before moving on with the rest of the questions. After another minute or so, they managed to finish filling in all their details and returned to the nurse.

“Here's the form you wanted.” Sam said, placing the form on the desk. The nurse took the form and quickly looked it over before frowning at one point.

“I'm sorry sir but I'm afraid there seems to be a problem with your form. You've put here that you're 20 years of age but that's not very possible.” She explained.

“It's no mistake nurse...” Sam started.

“Redheart.”

“Nurse Redheart. We are 20 years old.” Nurse Redheart frowned slightly before looking up at the two.

“Please sir, you shouldn't make jokes like that on the- Oh sweet Celestia what happened?!” She cried as she saw the two, causing them to recoil slightly.

“What?” Josh asked hesitantly. The nurse stood up and came out from behind the desk before looking closely at the two.

“What do you mean 'what'?? Look at you poor dears! Your fur seems to have nearly all fallen out, your tails are gone, your hooves seem to have mutated and your faces are horribly misshapen.”

“Horribly misshapen?” Sam replied.

“Yes! Your eyes aren't in the right proportion, your ears are too small and on the side of your face, which seems to have been flattened. You don't even look like you've ever had a snout, poor dears, you must be hiding the complete agony you're in. Doctor!” She called. She was about to call again before Josh put a hand on her shoulder.

“Errm, miss Redheart? Haven't you heard any rumours or anything about us?” She gave him a confused look. “We're humans, not ponies. We haven't been in any big accidents... kinda.” He explained sheepishly. The nurse tilted her head for a few moments before realisation hit her.

“Oh.. Oh! I know what you mean now, I'm so sorry.” She said with a slight bow of her head. “I heard those rumours yes but for what everypony was describing, I thought somepony had shaved a monkey, stuck clothes on it then sent it trundling through town.”

“I didn't know you trundled.” Sam said as he looked to Josh. His friend dead panned before slapping Sam round the back of his head. “Heh. Well no, rumours are true. We're called humans by the way.”

“Ok then, sorry about the fuss I made. I'll make sure the hospital gets your details into the system, thank you for stopping by.” Nurse Redheart said with a polite smile before heading back to her desk. The two boys went back to their chairs to collect their three tour guides but only found a note instead. Sam picked up the note and began reading it out loud.

“'Dear Josh and Sam. We wish we could have helped give you a better tour of the town but we came up with a great idea for what our cutiemarks could be. Hope to see you soon. Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom.' Huh... Didn't see that coming.”

“So what the hell do we do now?” Josh asked. As they contemplated what to do next, Josh felt a pair of arms come over his shoulder.

“Can I touch you... Please...?” A voice whispered breathily into his ear. The hairs on the back of his neck stood at attention and he yelped, running and hiding behind Sam.

“Help! Stranger danger!” He cried. He peeked round Sam when he heard giggling. With a hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter was a cream coloured mare wearing a short sleeved green shirt and black trousers. Her mane and tail were a matching two tone, one was a dark purple while the other was pink. She looked up at Josh's face and laughed again.

“Oh Celestia, she was right. You do look funny when you get scared.” She said before looking behind her. “You were right, he does look kind of cute when he's scared.”

A familiar blue unicorn came up to the group with a big grin on her face. “I told you so Bon Bon, he's like a nervous little puppy.” Colgate said. She turned to face the two humans with a happy smile. “We meet again boys, it's been a while.”

“Hey Colgate, sure has.” Sam replied.

Josh sighed as he recognised the mare. “Damn it Colgate, can you not do that?” He said as he got away from behind Sam, the mare giggled and threw her arm onto the human's shoulder.

“Aww lighten up, it's just a little joke. Besides, I can't help it if teasing you is entertaining.” She said as she pinched his cheek, Josh offering an unamused expression in return. The mare looked by the two humans to see her friend watching her.

“Oh sorry, where are my manners. Guys, this is my friend Bon Bon. Bon Bon, this is Josh and Sam.”

“Hi there.” Bon Bon said.

“Hey.” They replied. “So what are you two doing here anyway?” Sam asked.

“Ah, I was cooking earlier and burnt my hand.” Bon Bon said as she showed her hand, a bandage wrapped around her palm and between her thumb and index finger. “I knew I'd be fine but Lyra wouldn't stop bugging me to get it checked. I came up here and met Colgate while I was waiting.”

“I was only here because somepony fell over and hit their mouth, they just wanted me to see if their teeth were ok.” Colgate explained. “What about you two?”

“Twilight wanted the hospital to know where we lived in case of an emergency.” Sam replied.

“So are you two done yet?” Bon Bon asked, getting a nod in response. “Then how about you come with us if you're free. I invited Colgate to come to a small get together me and Lyra are having between a few friends, you're welcome to come too.” They thought for a moment.

“What do you think Sam? I don't mind really.” Josh asked.

“Hmmm, I just thought maybe we should actually go meet a doctor? Just so we know who we'd be seeing if we came here.” He replied. A crashing sound then echoed through a nearby hallway.

“Who's in charge of these three little terrors?!” A male voice boomed. Before anyone could react, Josh grabbed hold of Colgate's hand while Sam grasped Bon Bon's, both of them dragging the mares towards the door.

“You know what? We should be around plenty of ponies... for witnesses...” Sam said as they ran.