• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 8,313 Views, 60 Comments

Rainbow's Letter - Silver Moon



Alternate ending to The Mysterious Mare Do Well. Rainbow has been missing for over a week when Fluttershy finds her letter. Her goodbye letter.

  • ...
21
 60
 8,313

After

Slowly, Twilight lowered the letter. Fighting tears, she looked at the four ponies in front of her. Fluttershy was weeping in the corner, hooves over her ears in a feeble attempt to drown out the letter she had already read. Applejack had removed her hat out of respect at some point and sat with her head bowed, dry eyes closed. She was not one for tears, but it was still clear she was upset. Rarity’s eyes lacked the farm pony’s dryness; tears slid down her face, smudging her perfect makeup. Yet the fashionista made no attempt to clean herself up, she just stared as Twilight slowly rolled up the letter and placed it on the ground before her. Pinkie Pie sat uncharacteristically still, wide eyes dry. Her head, cocked to one side, portrayed her confusion: the party pony could not understand what the letter meant. Twilight sat down before her legs could fail her, allowing her tears to fall freely. She looked at her friends as the silence stretched on. Slowly, Fluttershy stopped weeping. She uncovered her head and sat up. After looking hard each of her friends, lost in their own pain, she broke the stillness of the air.

“I killed her,” she said. It was a statement, not a question. Four heads snapped to face her, four sets of lungs tried to regain the air stolen by the sudden words. Fluttershy blinked slowly and took a deep gulp of air. “I killed her,” she repeated, louder, as if daring her friends to contradict her. But there was no response, so Fluttershy nodded her head mutely. She stood up and turned to the door to leave, but she was stopped by Twilight.

“Fluttershy, wait.” The Pegasus stopped, her hoof on the door to open it, but did not turn. She waited stiffly for Twilight’s next words. “You didn’t kill Rainb-”

“Didn’t I?” Fluttershy softly cut across her friend, still facing the exit. She had stopped crying, but when the tears had left her, they had taken all of her emotions with them. The Pegasus spoke in a low monotone as she continued. “I was her oldest friend, I should have seen this was bothering her. I was the one that told her about the Hydra. I-”

“Would you let me finish?” Twilight burst out, reclaiming her place as the speaker in the conversation. Fluttershy said nothing as she turned to face her remaining friends. “Good,” Twilight continued, momentarily using her usual brisk manner before returning to one of grief. “Now, as I was saying, you did not kill Rainbow. We- we all did.” Twilight waited, expecting one of her friends to say something. This time it was Applejack that spoke.

“You’re wrong, Twi,” the farm mare said. “We didn’t. Mare Do Well did.” Applejack looked at the ponies around her, wishing for one of them to make a move, to break the silence. She slowly turned back to Fluttershy as the Pegasus took another step to the door. She stood there for a moment, her head bowed and eyes closed, before speaking once more.

“Isn’t that the same thing?” she asked. Without waiting for a reply, she opened the door. She froze for a moment before speaking. “Who are you?” she asked the Pegasus mare before her.

“My name is Rainstorm. I’m looking for Twilight Sparkle, the librarian. Is that you?” the mare asked. She raised a dark blue hoof and ran it through her pale red mane.

“No, I’m Twilight,” the unicorn spoke up from inside. Fluttershy stepped back to allow Rainstorm to enter the building. Twilight wiped her tears from her eyes and tried to be businesslike again. “How may I help you? Is there a particular book you want?”

“Oh, no. I’m- I’m not looking for a book.” The Pegasus blinked her yellow eyes as she looked around. “But it looks like you’re in the middle of something, I can come back later,” she said, backing up.

“No, now is fine. If you’re not looking for a book, then what are you looking for?” Twilight asked.

“If you’re sure. I’m looking for my sister. We- she- I haven’t spoken to her in years. Something happened and-” the mare broke off with a sigh. She looked down, digging at the ground uncertainly. “I just- I want to apologise. I made a mistake. I just need to find to her again and I was told that you are her friend, Twilight. Do you think you could help me?”

“I could try, but I’m not friends with many ponies. All my friends are right here,” Twilight said, gesturing around her at the solemn ponies. “You might want to talk to Pinkie Pie here,” she continued, nodding to the pink pony. “She knows every pony in Ponyville.” Rainstorm nodded.

“Her coat is lighter than mine and her mane,” she started, only to be cut across by Pinkie.

“I’m sure I already know what she looks like. It’ll be easier if you tell me her name.”

“Alright,” Rainstorm agreed, nodding. “Her name is Rainbow Dash.”