• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 767 Views, 26 Comments

Why Ponies Aren't in Space - Raptor



Magical God-like powers; teleportation, creation/destruction of matter & energy, defying gravity- How has this society not even reached the space age yet? One stallion dares to find out.

  • ...
1
 26
 767

Episode 1: Denials; Chapter 4: The Warden

Episode I: Denials
Chapter IV: The Warden


You said… there are five…?
Y- …Yes.
You paused there for a second.
*sigh*, okay, well, we’re not entirely sure. But we’ve searched for a while now and we’ve come to the conclusion that only five are needed.
Buuuuuut…
-But, you can never be too sure.
So what made you and your team believe there are only five?
The only other relics associated with them don’t carry the same traits as the five do. It’s been made fairly clear that each one is designed to be equal.
There could always be one that controls all of them, or is the most important piece.
Yes, of course, we’ve considered that. But we still need to look into it.
So, to answer my question…
-To answer your question, no, we haven’t come to a stable conclusion on how it works or what is required… Yet.
Very well. No need to concern yourself. Just keep doing what you do and you’ll be fine.
Naturally, sir. Is there any…
…What is it…?
…Sir, it looks like we have another one.
…Hmhmhmhmhmmmm. Well, well… How intriguing.
I… I believe I am familiar with this one.
Oh…?
Yes. It’s quite… Unique.
Aren't they all...?
...Fair enough.
Then come with me. Talk to me while we prepare to… greet it.


All Gazer could do was stare.

Stare at the green eyes that were staring straight back at him. Crystal Sky was just as shocked as Gazer. Or perhaps maybe not "shocked"... more like... simply unsettled.

After what seemed like hours, Gazer finally asked, "Who are you...?"

There was a short silence. Once again, the voice came out of nowhere, as if coming from invisible headphones. "Why don't you come aboard...?" it said. The eyes faded out, and a bright, white light shone from the darkness instead, growing in brightness. "...We have much to discuss." The light grew to blinding, then everything went black.

\v/\V/\v/

Gazer gasped as he awoke in a cold sweat. His eyes bulged, his pupils dilated, his hearing muffled. Gazer could only hear his steady deep breathing. His vision was blurred. He blinked, slowly and exaggeratedly. He could see a blurry bright light. He continued to breathe heavily. He blinked again, as he attempted to move. His vision was less blurry, and he realized he was lying on his side. He huffed as he attempted to roll over onto his hooves. The sudden change in gravity caused him to cough violently, and his vision blacked out for a moment. He collapsed on his belly, and struggled to get up again. He had almost regained his vision by now, but he could only hear a high-pitched ringing sound.

He looked around, slowly and sluggish. He was in a small room with curved walls, made of some kind of purple metal. Lights lined the walls along the ceiling. What appeared to be an open door in front of him showed a similar looking hallway. Gazer narrowed his eyes and stood straight up. His vision still slightly blurred, he could barely see a shadowy figure approach him from the opposite end of the corridor. As the figure came closer into view, Gazer's eyes widened, then quickly narrowed again as one word popped into his mind-

Changeling.

\v/\V/\v/

Crystal awoke to the sound of strange chattering noises. She looked around, and instantly put two and two together. They were on... the ship. The first thing she felt was... naked. She instantly noticed she wasn't wearing her EV/triple-A suit, yet she was breathing. The second thing she noticed was her mane was a mess, and was getting in her eyes. The third thing she noticed was that she couldn’t move her forelegs to brush her hair out of her face. They were bound to poles at either side of her. She was retrained, kneeling on the floor, forelegs raised up. The fourth thing she noticed was her captor standing outside the room, looking at her through a window, laughing with the others.

She blew her mane out of her eyes with irritation.

\v/\V/\v/

Shining Armor was on leave. His first officer was put in command, and this was his day off. He had the day off, the whole day, and the next day, and the next day. He was on leave. It was his much needed break. He couldn’t spend it with Cadance, because she was too busy in her new empire. Nothing had happened since the return of Sombra. There were no threats against Canterlot, no conflicts, nothing eventful. So he was alone, on his break, ready for the next three days to be a relaxing, peaceful, uneventful-

“We need you to come in, Captain.”

Horsefeathers.

\v/\V/\v/

Celestia sat upon her throne, with Luna on hers at her side. Normally Luna wouldn’t be up at this time of day, but this was important. The room was littered with guards- spearponies, battlecorns, pegasus archers, pegasus snipers (with the newest crossbow model), and four officers. An excessive amount of military for an excessive amount of important ponies. Next to Celestia was a documenter, ready to record any and all conversations when the meeting began. Sitting in chairs in front of the throne were the advisor, treasurer, the secretaries, the Supreme Commander of the Equestrian military, and the representatives of the public.

All that was missing was captain of the royal guard. Finally, two royal guards entered the throne room, followed by a large, white unicorn stallion wearing purple decorative armor. He was also sleepy. Immediately he was sprung out of his fatigue when he saw all the VIPs and diverse soldiers around him. He stepped forward, and all the soldiers in the room saluted at once. Except the snipers. The captain returned the salute and walked forward, bowing to the princesses. He then walked to the only vacant seat, next to the Supreme Commander, who he saluted. The commander obliged.

Finally, when everyone was settled, Celestia spoke. “Let us begin,” she said. The documenter levitated his quill and started writing. “I have gathered you all here today to discuss a recent event that may have put all of Equestria in jeopardy.” Some murmurs among the representatives. “And old enemy of ours has been stirred, and may be interested in attacking.” More murmurs. The Supreme Commander looked like he wanted to say something, but waited patiently for the Princess to finish. “They have gotten significantly stronger the last time we engaged them. And I fear much more than Canterlot is at stake.”

“What would be the best form of retaliation?” the commander asked, already prepared for total war.

“Diplomacy, you barbarian!” the advisor said. The commander raised an eyebrow. “We can’t immediately assume war. We must first know their intentions.”

“The advisor is correct,” Luna said. “We must first see if we can evade such a conflict, then, if all else fails, we will resort to retaliation.”

“If we even can,” someone muttered. Several ponies turned to see the young Secretary of Intelligence slightly laid-back in his chair, a dark expression on his face. Several ponies looked like they wanted to say something, but Celestia had ignored him.

“As I said before, they have gotten stronger since our last encounter,” she said. “They are now threatening every major city in Equestria.”

Loud and concerned chatter among the crowd.

ORDER!” Luna bellowed. The room was silent. She gestured to her sister as if to say ‘go on.’

Celestia nodded. “We have a cannon pointed at our head, fillies and gentlecolts. We need to assure the safety of Equestria. Which means we must confirm that our enemy is not going to attack us.” Her face turned sorrowful. “We cannot afford a war of this magnitude…”

“Can they even be reasoned with…?” Prince Shining Armor suddenly asked. Everypony looked at him.

“What makes thou think that they cannot?” Luna asked him.

“They’re animals,” Shining replied, seemingly surprised at how little everypony else knew about the enemy. “Princess, you've seen what they've done before.” Celestia raised an eyebrow. “They’re simple-minded, animalistic, hungry monsters. I say we don’t just reason with them, we stand up to them. Don’t back down. Maybe then they’ll decide to leave us alone, and if they don’t, we’ll still be ready.” Everypony in the room looked confused. Except the commander, who looked like he couldn't decide whether to be confused with everypony else or impressed with Shining Armor’s valor. “They literally feed off of love and happiness. Do you really think a race like that can be reasoned with…?”

Celestia narrowed her eyes. “Captain, who do you think we’re dealing with…?” she asked.

Shining looked confused. “The… changelings…?”

Celestia shook her head. “We’re not talking about the changelings.”

Shining paused. “Then… who are we talking about…?”

\v/\V/\v/

Wait. Wait a minute... What...?

Upon further examination, the figure couldn't possibly had been a changeling. Fist of all, it wasn't equinoid. it had no hooves, just claws. Secondly, it had six limbs- no wings- four feet underneath it, two arm-like appendages in front of it, four clawed fingers on each. It somehow bared characteristics of being both reptilian and arthropodal, its black chitin bearing what appeared to be large, thick scales, while the gaps were closed with smaller, softer ones. It was like a cross between a changeling and a dragon, minus the wings and plus the arms. It had piercing neon-green eyes, not unlike the ones Gazer had seen in the void of space a few moments earlier. It seemed to wear a set of decorative black plate-mail armor, lined in blue, resembling another layer of a chitinous shell. It had three horns sticking out of its head, two curved out to the side, one sticking straight out in the middle. What was part of the armor and what wasn't was impossible for Star to tell, for the head at least. It was no taller that an average Earth pony, and no longer than an alicorn.

Finally it stopped in front of him. "Good day, Doctor Cosmo," it said in a smooth, young male voice. Its split-jaw and pincers opened an closed rapidly and fluently as it talked.

Gazer stood there for a second, glaring at the newcomer.

"Doctor Gazer, if you please."

\v/\V/\v/

"V'eii is t'ei vrisaet'ir it' kaet'vit'itrit't?"

The chittering noise.

"S'ei risistith."

"S'ei attakkkith es!"

The annoying chittering noise.

"V'eat ari iiaee, it'vat't-kkit'th?! IIaee thae t'aet t'iith tae k'eait' 'eir! 'Eat'thtsi 'eir! Atsv'ea-sir trest sii atsts kaet'takts. Ritsiasi 'eir at aet'ki! Et'thirstaeaeth?!"

"IIis sir!"

Sounded so familiar...

Crystal's head snapped up as her two captors approached her. She blew her mane out of her eyes again.

"Get up."

Crystal raised her eyebrow with an expression that said, "dang, how stupid are you?" She wiggled her chained hooves. The two reptilian-insect guards looked at each other, then went over to her and unlocked the mechanism. Sky let her hooves drop with the rest of her body, as they had been begging to do for so long. She sat there (kind of) for a moment, before the same guard said,

"Now get up."

Crystal raised her left hoof toward them without looking. "Could you lend me a hoof...?" she asked weakly. Once again, the guards looked at each other. One walked up and took her hoof, yanking her up. Except he didn't. Crystal pulled down, causing his face to collide with a rising right hoof. The guard was sent backwards, crashing into the wall.

"Trakkir--!" was all the other could say before Crystal swung her back leg around and tripped him. She then sprang to her hooves and ran for the doorway, only to be hit straight in the neck. She collapsed to the floor.

"You silly fool. Did you not hear three voices?" came a deep but somewhat feminine voice. Sky felt dazed. She felt herself being pulled up and told to keep walking. She absent-mindedly obliged.

As she walked down the strange corridors, she started thinking. What's happening again? Oh, right. It's them. I'm on their... ship? Maybe? Probably. Now, what happened? Oh, right. Gazer... Crystal's eyes widened. Gazer. Gazer! Where's Star Gazer?! Wait, why am I asking myself? She stopped and turned to the creatures behind her.

Now, what she meant to say was: "Star Gazer. Where is he."

But what came out was: "Wait, w-where's Star Gazer...?!"

Had the first demand been said, the response would've been: "He's coming, too. Keep walking."

But all they said was: "Keep walking. Tsaevivrirth."

Naturally, this caused Sky to panic slightly. She started thinking to herself again, continuing her walk. Where could he be? What happened to him? Wait. What's going on- think back... Gazer... built his shuttle... we tried to stop him... I... I continued... after him... and then... THEY... showed up... captured us... Uh-oh. Oh no... oh dear... oh... no... that's...
...
...I wonder what they're doing about this back in Canterlot. I wonder if... they'll finally use... them...

\v/\V/\v/

"First order of business," Celestia decreed, "Getting them back."

"Shouldn't we evacuate the cities?" asked the advisor.

"We do not even know if they will go through with their threat," Luna replied. "Before we even begin negotiations, we must insist that they return Doctor Gazer and miss Sky."

"I second that," said the Supreme Commander.

"Then let's skip to the vote now," Celestia said. "Time is of the essence. All those in favor of postponing all further actions toward this matter and focusing on the safe return of the hostages, raise your hoof."

Seemingly everyone sitting raised their hoof.

"All those opposed?"

No one.

"It's settled then. Luna, the advisor, the captain of A.R.C. and I will stay and prepare to make contact. Everyone else is dismissed. Captain Shining Armor, please direct the guards for escort."

The prince nodded, stood, and turned to the mass of guards while most of the VIPs got up to leave. "Archers, Battlecorns, and two squads of spearponies, escort the VIPs. You, and you, direct them."

"Yes, sir!" said the two officers he pointed to. They saluted, and the captain obliged. All three then saluted the Commander, who was now leaving.

After most of the ponies had left the room, Shining Armor discreetly approached Princess Celestia. "Um, your Highness...?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"Do you think... maybe, just as a precaution, I should..."

"What is it?"

"...Should I tell my sister and her friends... just in case...?"

Celestia's face turned blank. "...Not yet. But I'll keep that option in mind. Thank you, Captain."

"Of course, Princess..." Shining Armor bowed and backed off, only to turn and walk out of the room, recieving and returning salutes on his way out.

\v/\V/\v/

Gazer was led through several corridors, all looking exactly the same. How big is this place? What is this place? He spotted several other creatures that looked similar to his scaly-chitinous escort here, but wearing different, less decorative armor. Most of them were minding their own business, tending to whatever job they were doing. Others, however, stopped what they were doing just to... stare at him... as he walked by. Gazer spotted one group of three in particular who were looking over at him from the opposite side of a large room they were passing through. They appeared to be... snickering at him. Gazer ignored them, and instead focused on his escort's behavior.

It obviously wasn't a guard. It was too slender, and it didn't bear any similar traits of the dark-purple plated armor some of the others were wearing, which Gazer assumed to be security, considering the strange wand-like devices they each held in their claws, which he assumed to be weapons of some sort. That means that they must not consider Gazer a prisoner. Or a threat. Or... they were just maybe a bit cocky.

Whatever the reason, Gazer didn't have a security escort, but his guide did seem to hold some role of importance, given the gestures he (assuming it's a he, given the voice) received from most of the other creatures he walked by. So all in all, Gazer's visit here was definitely important to them.

Whether it was more or less important to them than it was to him was still to be determined.

At one point, they came into a corridor that had a window running along it. Gazer stopped and stared out the window.

Oh... right.

This giant facility that he had been walking around in for five minutes... was in space. More prescisely, in orbit around the Earth. Even more prescisely, right above Equestria.

Well, this is one BIG ship.

Finally, They arrived at a large door, which opened to a large, symmetrical room, with several computer-like panels, consoles, holograms, creatures attending to them, and one big, green-lined window in the center of the back wall, looking down upon Gazer's homeland. Standing in the center on a raised platform, looking out that window, was a uniquely-armored creature, lined in green. He stood with his back to the newcomers, while everyone else in the room glanced at them, only to return to their business.

The escort stepped forward. "Atsv'ea-sir?" he said. The creature turned its head slightly, still not looking at them. "He is here." It then turned fully around to show its exceptionally bright green eyes, staring directly at Gazer.

It... smiled?

"Hello." He said. Definitely a he.

"...Hi," Gazer replied simply.

"Welcome to my ship, Gazer of Stars."

"Hah... clever."

"I suppose you're wondering a great deal of things." He started walking towards them.

"Wow, how'd you guess?"

"Hm. Sarcasm. How unfortunate. Here I thought you were a stallion of greatness..."

Gazer glared, but then instantly laughed. Rather loudly, too. "The first thing you need to know about our race... is that greatness comes from where you least expect it. Why, I can think of six examples right off the top of my head..."

"I'm sure."

"*ahem*... Right, sorry. Question one. Who the hay are you?"

"I am mostly referred to as the Atsv'ea. But you may call me 'the Captain.' Or, 'the Alpha.'"

"Yeah, I think I'll call you Skipper. Question two. Where's Crystal Sky?"

"She will be here shortly. Unharmed." On cue, the doors behind Gazer opened again, letting in three security guards, one having purple-lined black armor, and looking slightly different than an other crew member. Gazer assumed it was female. With them was none other than Crystal Sky. With a bruised throat. Gazer snapped his head back around at the Captain. "...Unless, of course, she acts... violent."

"Star!" Crystal cried.

"Crystal! Are you alright?" Gazer asked, looking back again.

Crystal rubbed her neck and cleared her throat. "I think so," she said. Gazer nodded and looked back at the Captain.

"Right. Next question. What do you want with me?"

"You, doctor, have broken a treaty."

"A treaty? What treaty?"

"The Atsv'ea-Celestial treaty," Crystal answered. "Established twenty three years ago."

"The ponies were not to exit their atmosphere, and in return, we would protect them."

"'Protect'?!" Crystal scoffed. "I think he means, 'not destroy your homeland' when he says 'protect'."

"...What...?"

"It was an agreement, and your princess agreed to it. But now... now, doctor... you have broken it."

Gazer was silent for a while. But then he gave a quick laugh. "Is that what this is about? Pfft. You don't have to worry about it."

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"You don't have to worry about it," Gazer repeated. "I've gone rogue. I went against orders. The princess actually tried to stop me. Isn't that right, Sky?"

Crystal's jaw had dropped. She shook her head quickly. "Uh, yes. Yes! That's why I was out there in the first place. Our A.R.C. team was deployed to stop Gazer to keep this from happening." She glared at him. He grinned sheepishly. "You'd be surprised how many precautions we've taken. The princess really doesn't want to break the treaty."

"So, yeah. I didn't know. I'm sorry. But hey, you stopped me anyway, so, no harm, no foul. Right?"

The Captain stood there for a second, then looked to Gazer's "escort," who... shrugged? "I'm... surprised at how well you're taking this, doctor."

Gazer shrugged. "Eh. At least I made it into space. I'm happy."

"Um... Sir? May I talk with you?" asked the "escort" as he approached the captain.

"Of course, Beta." The two proceeded to walk away, onto the platform, talking in an alien language.

"So this is reason, huh?" Gazer said quietly to Crystal.

"Yeah..." she replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He looked at her with concern in his eyes. "I can understand the princess keeping this a secret, but, you could've at least told me. Don't you trust me?"

"Don't pull that, Star," she replied. "You know I trust you. But you have to trust me, too. It was classified."

"Why did you play along, though?" She raised an eyebrow at him. "When I told you about my project. Why did you play along?"

Crystal opened her mouth to say something when the Captain and "Beta" approached. The Captain chuckled. "Well, doctor. You're obviously a smart pony. You understand things well. We're going to let the two of you go back home peacefully. I'll even see to it that Celestia will revoke all charges pressed against you, if she hasn't considered doing that already. Still, I can't guarantee the judgement of a monarch."

"Diarch," Crystal corrected.

Gazer nodded. "Thank you, Skipper."

The Captain hesitated at the absurd nickname, but quickly ignored it. "...Your shuttle is waiting outside for you. We will transport the two of you into it when you are ready. We also suggest that you do not tell anyone of this- for your public's own safety, of course."

"Of course."

"You seem... doubtful."

"Oh, well, it's just..."

"What...?"

"Well, to be quite frank, I think you're underestimating ponies."

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"Ponies... don't exactly like to be contained, Skipper. They have the need to expand. Every intelligent species has that need. The need to learn, to explore... The need to know. And you, good sir, are depriving them of that."

"Gazer, what are you-"

"I'm just sayin', it's not the best idea to contain something that really doesn't want to be contained." Gazer started casually walking toward the forward window, which now had a beam of light on the floor in front of it. A similar light was coming from inside Gazer's ship, which could be seen not too far from the window. "Much less something powerful."

Crystal started following him toward the beam, less casually. "Um, Gazer..."

The Captain got an amused smile(?) on his alien face. "I think you're mislead, doctor. The power your race shows is the reason why we contain you."

Gazer laughed as he continued to walk. "Didn't really think that one through, did you? Not the best decision."

Now it was time for the Captain to step in Gazer's path. He stopped. The captain had... a... a smirk... probably... and was looking straight into his eyes. "Are you challenging me, sir?"

"Are you still gonna tell Celestia to revoke my charges?"

"Yes."

"Eh, kinda."

"Well, I'll let you know the sides are fairly even right now. More so in our favor. And if you really want to challenge us, doctor, many ponies will die. I can tell you that much now."

Normally Gazer would stop smiling at this point. But he didn't. He just walked around ol' "Skipper". "Maybe. But I doubt it." He stepped into the beam of light and turned towards them. Crystal stood next to him. "I also doubt if you can find me before that happens." With that, he smiled wider, just before the light grew bright and the two ponies vanished.

The Captain smiled.

You can run, doctor. But none of you can hide. We are the Warden. And we will find you.

Count on it.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. Been busy with school.
After this episode's complete, I'll be starting a new story. But don't worry, I'm not stopping this one.
Hope you enjoyed the chapter.
--Raptor