• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 4,493 Views, 93 Comments

Top Of The Charts - GeodesicDragon



When DJ Anon is signed to an Equestrian record label, he reckons that he's finally hit the big time. Unfortunately, Fate has other ideas.

  • ...
16
 93
 4,493

Aeternum et Semper - Part Two

CHAPTER TEN

Aeternum et Semper - Part Two

- OCTAVIA'S POV -

You stand with Tech Beat at the bar, the stallion in question ordering drinks for the two of you. Out of the corner of your eye you see Anon talking to somepony, and then his jaw dropping.

Looks like he's just found Vinyl.

Anon's eyes dart around the room before he steps aside and lets Vinyl in before closing the door behind him. Good — this means that those two can talk, realise they're made for each other, kiss, and then rescue you from this dreary windbag of a stallion.

"Your drink, Miss Octavia," Tech Beat passes you a glass, "one dry Martini, as you requested."

You take the glass from him and clink it with his. He still hasn't noticed that Anon is gone.

"Thank you, good stallion," you reply, "now I believe you were going to tell me all about your grand scheme?"

"Of course," he chuckles, "let's sit somewhere private, and I'll tell you all about it."

You follow him to a booth in the corner of the bar, away from the music and bright lights. Tech Beat lights a candle on the table and sits down. You scoot in next to him.

"I had a feeling," he begins, "that if I showed Anon how bad mares can be, again I mean no offence, then he would begin to resent the idea of being in a relationship with one."

"Again," you wave a hoof dismissively, "no offence taken. But however did you manage it? Surely Anon wouldn't be put off of mares in a snap? It must have taken months!"

Tech Beat laughs again. You're beginning to hate how it sounds. Then again, you're starting to hate this whole situation.

"Persuasion, Miss Octavia," he says, "is a wonderful thing. Especially when alcohol is involved. It was just a simple matter of getting some mares drunk and sending them to talk to Anon. They took care of the rest, and I just sat back and watched."

You can't believe what you're hearing. This slimy scumbag was only ever interested in lining his pockets than caring about Anon's feelings. You resist the urge to pummel his conceited face in and instead let out a small giggle.

"My my," you titter, "you clever stallion. But I assume what happened at the Crystal Empire put a dampener on your plans?"

"It did," Tech Beat groans, "but not to worry. I've told Anon that if he gets with Vinyl, he will be blackballed by the rest of the music community, which means I will be forced to drop him from my label. And if that happens before his contract is up, which it isn't, then I get to take him to court and sue him for all he's got."

You drain your glass in one swift gulp. Tech Beat puts on a suave grin and drains his own.

"Another one, I think." he says smoothly, "And then we can toast to my success in getting Vinyl out of the picture."

He gets up from the seat and trots back to the bar. You bury your face in your forehooves and let out a muffled groan.

- ANON'S POV -

You and Vinyl are both sitting on the floor staring at each other. Neither of you seems keen to talk, but you know you've got to. And that you've got to do it before you're missed.

"Vinyl, I—"

"Anon, I—"

The two of you chuckle a little at that.

"You first, Vinyl." you offer, "After all, you came all this way just to find me, so I assume you've got something to say."

Vinyl exhales sharply and fans herself with her forehooves for a moment before finally talking.

"I'm sorry," she says quietly, "for everything that's happened. You were right, Anon. If I had talked to you sooner, none of this would have happened. But at the end of the day... I still love you, Anon, and that's something that will never change."

She sighs.

"Much like your feelings towards me." she mumbles, "You can't stand the idea of a relationship with a pony, and yet here's me – your best friend – pouring my heart out to you. I don't want things between us to end on a bad note, so could we try again?"

"You mean..." you reply, "start again as friends?"

Vinyl nods and looks at you, awaiting your reply. After a while you shake your head, much to her shock.

"No, Vinyl," you say, "I'm afraid we can't be friends."

Vinyl stands up. She looks to be on the verge of tears as she trots over to you.

"Okay, Anon," she says, "I'll respect your wishes. But at least I tried. Now I need to go and rescue Octy from the evil clutches of your manager-slash-producer."

She leans in closer and gently kisses your cheek.

"It's been fun, Anon," she whispers, "but if this is what you want, then I'll go. You've been the best friend I've ever had."

She turns around and starts walking away. She barely makes it a few steps before you grab one of her hind legs and pull her back towards you. She squeals in surprise as you turn her around so that she's facing you.

"I wasn't finished." you say sternly, "If you had waited, then I would have been able to do this properly."

"Anon," Vinyl stutters, "what are you talking abo—"

You lean forward and cut her off by bringing your lips to hers. She blinks in surprise before leaning back into you with a small moan. The two of you stay like this for what feels like minutes, but in reality was only thirty seconds, before you're forced to separate.

You look into each others eyes and smile, Vinyl's cheeks turning an adorable shade of crimson.

"Anon," she says, "I thought you... but I..."

You put a finger on her lips to shush her.

"After I moved out of the club," you explain, "I found myself with a lot of free time. So I used it to think. And, with some help from Princess Luna and my brain, I was able to realise that I only hated the idea of a relationship with a pony because of those drunken mares that hit on me... when in fact my ideal partner was by my side all along."

"Princess Luna?" Vinyl says, "Would I be right in thinking that she came to you in your dreams?"

"She did," you reply, "but how did you know?"

"Because," Vinyl chuckles, "I saw her in mine as well. She didn't say anything to me, but I knew she was there. She must have realised how I felt about you and decided to help."

You wrap an arm around Vinyl and hold her close. She nuzzles your cheek, a goofy smile plastered on her face.

"I'm glad she did," you say as you kiss Vinyl's forehead, "because I would have been alone forever if she hadn't. And being here now, with you, makes it all worthwhile."

"But what about Tech Beat?" Vinyl asks, "He's going to find out about this, and it'll mean the end of your career."

"Fuck him." you snarl, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. In the meantime, I will go and rescue Octavia from his clutches. If you go then he'll realise it was a set-up."

Vinyl nods and kisses you again before you stand up. You walk over to the stage door and open it slightly before peeking out. Confident that nopony is watching you you cover Vinyl again and ruffle her mane before sending her back into the crowd.

You take your place back on stage just as the record finishes and throw on a new one before going over to the bar.

"Good evening sir," the bartender says, "would you like a drink?"

"Vodka," you reply, "and make it a double."

The bartender nods and goes to prepare your order. Out of the corner of your eye you can see Tech Beat talking to Octavia, who clearly looks uncomfortable. A glass is pushed in front of you and you pick it up. With a smile and a nod you leave the bar and walk over to the booth.

Is it time to fuck shit up?

Yep.

You stand at the table and clear your throat. Tech Beat doesn't look too happy about your presence, but Octavia is relieved.

"Just taking a break, boss," you say, "because I was long overdue for one. But I put on a new record, so it's fine. Who's your friend?"

Tech Beat grumbles incoherently. Octavia rolls her eyes and extends a forehoof.

"My name is Octavia," she says, "and you must be Anon. How does it feel for you, a dubstep DJ, to be playing classical music?"

Whoa, what's her problem?

You idiot, she's pretending to be a bitch because she was helping you keep Tech Beat busy! Just roll it with it.

You take Octavia's hoof and shake it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." you reply, "As for your question, it is rather strange. But it pays well."

"Yes," she mutters, "though it's not the same as hiring a proper orchestra. At least then there would be some variety."

Tech Beat exits the booth.

"Nature calls," he says, "I'll leave you two to get acquainted."

He walks away muttering under his breath. You're pretty sure you heard him say something about your mother, but you ignore it.

"I'm sorry for being so rude," Octavia whispers, "but you understand that I'm acting, right?"

You nod.

"So," Octavia continues, "did you speak to Vinyl?"

"If by 'speak' you mean 'made out'," you grin, "then yes. I did."

Octavia smiles back, but quickly frowns when Tech Beat returns to the table and takes his seat, glaring at you.

"Are you done yet?" he snaps, "Because I am."

"Yeah," you reply, "I'm done. I'll leave you two alone now. It was nice to meet you, Miss Octavia."

She waves a hoof in a bored fashion and motions for you to leave. You bow gracefully and turn around to leave. As you do, Tech Beat starts sniffing at the air. You don't get a few paces forward before his voice cuts through the air.

"Hold it, Anon." he says sternly, "Something isn't right..."

You hear him sniffing at the air again, followed by the sound of him getting out of the seat and trotting up behind you. Without warning your shirt is grabbed in his magical aura and you are pulled down to his level.

"You've seen Vinyl, haven't you?" he snarls, "And don't try to deny it, because I can smell her on your clothes."

"So what if I have?" you snarl back, "You only have control over my career and not my entire life."

"You're forgetting, motherbucker," Tech Beat growls, "that your career and your life are tied. All I have to do is tear up your contract, and both of them would be ruined."

You push your face into his, not giving a fuck about personal space. You bare your teeth at him as you speak.

"Do your worst," you growl, "because I fucking quit."

Octavia trots over and dumps her drink over Tech Beat's head. He gasps in shock as he relinquishes his magical hold on your clothes. Octavia then grabs his face with her forehooves.

"I never really was on your side." she hisses, "In fact, I only tolerated your company because I was helping Vinyl. And given what you told me earlier, I don't think you're in any position to be threatening Anon. Wouldn't you agree?"

Tech Beat just growls. Octavia turns to you.

"This stallion is the reason for all the times you were beset by drunken mares." she explains, "He's the one who got them drunk and suggested they talk to you. In short, Anon, he's been controlling you since day one."

You clench your fists.

"So it's your fault I felt that way about mares?" you snarl, "Wait, I get it now. You were never interested in me or what I do. All you cared about was the novelty of an alien earning you money."

Tech Beat scoffs.

"So what if I did?" he says, "You and I both know that if you go public with this I'll deny everything. You have no proof, Anon, and I will soon be walking away with all your money while you rot in a cell for the next ten years."

Your face falls. He's right, and you know it. You unclench your fists and walk away with Octavia following close behind...

... while Tech Beat's mocking laughter rings in your ears.

Author's Note:

Nearly done. Just two more chapters!

Also, I'd appreciate some comments about your thoughts on the story. :twilightsmile: