• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 1,194 Views, 17 Comments

Bolts: Equestria's Elite - krdragon



A second chance doesn't come for everyone, but on this day, it came for Lightning Dust.

  • ...
1
 17
 1,194

Chapter 2: Calm Valley

Bolts: Equestria's Elite

Chapter 2: Shadowbolts Academy


Lightning Dust approached the misty peak, soaring over the top in a gentle arc. Once over the top she held a valley in sight. A circle of mountains held in a quiet plain, with a small river from the eastern slope leading to a wide lake. Just off the lake were several spartan buildings and a few markers in the ground. The pattern resembled a race track. Moored near the buildings was a single small airship, floating in the lake. It flew the Equestrian flag but no others, and had a moon motif about it. On the descent Dust sighted another pony flying ahead of her. The stallion seemed to know where he was going, and when she traced his approach she saw two lines of ponies. One line wore the Shadowbolt uniform, while the other, like her, were wearing saddlebags.

Unlike her arrival at the Wonderbolt Academy, there was a no action going on. Nopony was around save the Shadowbolts and the hopefuls. Just before she landed she looked down the rest of the line of recruits. There were twelve recruits in all, even one with a rainbow mane. Surprisingly, they were a far more promising bunch than what she had seen at the Wonderbolt camp.

“Snap to, right quickly you grime!” His sharp crack of a voice whipped Dust into a rigid stance. Despite his tone, she chanced a peek at the stallion. His coat was steel grey, and his mane was dark blue, long, and straight. He marched down the line, tall and imposing, and as he passed the recruits he even growled at those who hadn't been at attention yet.

“I am Descent, and I will be your lead instructor during your stay at our lovely vacation spot. There are twelve of you fresh young pups, but we only have a place for six. After this first month, six of you will be going back to your mommies while the other six will be Shadowbolts. For now, your going to pack out into that barracks over there, then report back to me in five minutes. Count off from one starting here." He pointed a hoof at the pony at one end of the line. "This is your bunk number.”

Lightning waited for her turn before saying, “Seven!”

When the last pony said twelve, Descent waved a hoof and the group scrambled to the barracks. Lightning, of course, was first. The building was bare inside, save twelve bunks with matching lockers. Each had crisp white sheets and a folded wool blanket at the tail. Trotting over to her assigned locker, she tossed her saddlebags inside, and turned to leave. The rest had crowded in, so she simply flew above their heads.

She returned to Descent before another pony had left the barracks. “A fast one, are you. Well, now is the time to wait. We have a guest who wants to meet the new featherweights.”

“Yes, sir.”

As they returned, they formed up beside Dust, leaving her at the head of the line. Five minutes later, the recruits stood perpendicular to the five full members of the Shadowbolts, including Descent and Nightingale, and all stood at attention. Storm Cloud was in front of both groups holding a clipboard. He counted off ponies to himself before looking off into the sky behind the recruits. Satisfied with whatever he saw, he started talking.

“Shadowbolts, recruits, today is the first day of the rest of your lives. You may have led a good life before, but now you are attempting to become a Bolt. An elite of Equestria. You may know of the Wonderbolts, lead by Spitfire. After this training camp, those of you who remain will be their equals. Those of you who depart will return to your lives knowing that you came close to becoming the best fliers in Equestria.”

He looked up into the sky once more, but he only paused for a moment.

“I am Storm Cloud. Recruits, I am the captain of the Shadowbolts. Nightingale,” He gestured with a hoof to the first Shadowbolt, the mare who signed up Lightning Dust, “is my second in command. Descent will be our lead instructor for the first portion of training, while Eclipse will lead the second portion.”

He stopped again, and without any kind of signal, he and the Shadowbolts saluted all at once. On instinct, Dust followed their example, standing tall and saluting. The rest of the recruits soon caught on and they all stood proud with no idea why. That is, until a shadow passed over them and Dust risked a quick glance up.

Princess Luna of Equestria descended and landed facing Storm Cloud, offering a bow to his salute. Despite the lack of wind, her ethereal mane flowed gently. The bolts dropped their salute, and again the recruits copied.

Lighting Dust had met Celestia before. She was calm, gentle, and regal. Everything she did was measured. She was perpetually pleasant. Luna... wasn't her opposite. She was just different. Her pose was rigid and tense. Her eyes were hard, seemingly piercing everything they saw. She had the same sense of royal power as her sister, but not Celestia's feeling of benevolence.

“Princess Luna, as requested we have our first class of recruits ready for inspection.”

"Very well, Captain." The princess nodded and walked to the head of the line, where Lightning Dust stood. She struggled to be still. A strange fear enveloped her, but she didn't understand it.

Storm's voice dashed her fleeting feeling. “Lightning Dust. Excellent record in races of various kinds, best young flier, and had a short stay at the Wonderbolt academy where she received a recommendation from Spitfire herself.”

A slight tilt of Luna's head was her only outward reaction. “A recommendation, but not acceptance? Lightning Dust, would you care to enlighten us?”

Talking to a princess for the first time might have been easy. Talking to Luna in introduction would have been difficult at best. Talking about her most embarrassing failure was like something from a nightmare. Struggling to merely speak, she kept it as short as she could. “I was reckless, ma'am.”

“I see.” Dust could not hear any tone or inflection in her voice. She just stated like she saw the sky or the ground. Dust had no idea what she had seen, but Luna had moved on, leaving Dust to recover.

The strange feeling subsided as Luna continued the inspection. Dust didn't pay much attention. Sure, she mildly cared about her competition, but she wasn't worried about anypony being a better flier. That wasn't her problem. She had never done anything at less than full speed, all out. Somehow she had to learn to tone it down. And then she heard Luna say Rainbow Dash.

Luna was before the rainbow maned pony, who looked angry. “Sorry, but no, I'm not related to Rainbow Dash.” The voice was light and airy, but a bit sharp with irritation. “I can't do a sonic rainboom, and I've never even met the pony. Um, Princess.”

Luna smiled. Suddenly she felt just like Celestia. “I sense your frustration, young one. Rest easy, as I have no intention of comparing you.”

One thought stormed Lightning Dust's mind. A symbol of the level of greatness she would have to reach in order to be known as the best flier in Equestria. The legendary sonic rainboom. Rainbow Dash had done it, twice. At the Wonderbolt Camp, Dust had somehow forgotten all about it, and the pony who did it. Now she had to prove herself better than Rainbow Dash, and to start she had to match her greatest feat. With a new goal in mind, she forgot about her other problems. They didn't really matter anymore, anyway.

>>>====<<<

Flap, flap, flap, bank right. Flap, flap, flap, bank right. Avoid slowpoke. Gain on Starfire. Pass the rainbow maned pony and her yellow maned friend, again. Lightning loved to fly, but doing laps around a track was incredibly boring. She had tried everything to make the time spent more interesting. Counting ponies (as she passed them), loops and spins (she got yelled at to stop showboating), and even racing with the competition. Boring.

A shrill whistle blast called Lightning out of her trance, and she banked off the straightaway of the cloud track, gliding over to land in the line in front of Descent. They had been flying for twenty minutes, but since they didn't keep count, Dust only bothered to remember that three was how many times she had passed Starfire, the second fastest pony.

Descent barked orders to the trainees. “Alright recruits, hit the showers. Meal hours begin in thirty minutes, then we muster for formation training a hour past noon. Dust, Twinkle and Breeze, stay behind.”

The rest of the ponies walked off toward the barracks, while Dust and the other two remained, unsure why.

Descent stared down Lightning first. “Dust, you're obviously the fastest pony among the recruits. Storm wants to test your speed against the records. Instead of the endurance run tomorrow, you're going with Storm to the Canterlot Cloudway. Make sure you're ready. Go ahead.”

A grin crossed her face and she did nothing to hide it. “Yes, sir.” The fourth day, and she was already receiving special treatment because of her ability. Dust knew she going to be the star of this group.

She glanced back at the trio as she flew off. Dust couldn't hear any words, but Dawn Breeze had her head low while Rainbow Twinkle, as usual, looked angry. Dust shook her head and dashed off to the barracks. She couldn't let herself be distracted by losers.


>>>====<<<



Lightning Dust was hardly even breathing hard when she came back to Storm Cloud after the last sprint. She was smug, and had every reason to be.

After writing another note on his clipboard, Storm Cloud “That makes three records broken. I think you could give any Wonderbolt a run for their colors. Spitfire will regret not keeping you in her hooves.”

With a smug grin, Dust struck a pose. “I aim for the best. Second place just isn't my style.”

“I can see that. Speaking of second best, what do you think of Starfire? I hear she came quite close during the short races.” He eyed Dust over his clipboard while writing.

She shrugged and gave Storm a shake of her head. “She just doesn't have the stamina that I do. Well, she's not as fast as me, either. I'm just better.”

Storm put his stopwatch into his saddlebags. He hesitated before speaking again. “What about the rest of the team? Any opinions?”

She brushed her mane back. “They just can't compete with me. It was the same way at the Wonderbolt academy.”

The older pegasus' face grew stern and his voice went hard.

“It was exactly the same way, Lightning Dust. I was hoping you had learned a thing or two on your own, but I had a backup plan in case you turned out to be this stubborn.”

Dust was taken aback, but she held her respective posture. “What? I haven't been reckless at all. I'm doing just fine the way I am.”

Storm shook his head and sighed. “It sure seems that way now, but next week we're putting you into squads of three for the rest of training. That means teamwork, which was the real problem behind your Wonderbolt failure.”

Her eyes widened, her pupils shrinking. “Failure...”

Looking at his clipboard, he said, “I'm teaming you up with Dawn Breeze and Starfire.”

Dust stomped her hoof. “Dawn Breeze? But she's the slowest pony on the team! How I am supposed to win with her?”

“Dawn Breeze is the slowest, but she's got a lot of heart. I want you and Starfire to help her with her speed. As for Starfire, she may be fast but she's the clumsiest flier, not to mention her stamina issue.” He stepped up to her, poking her chest with his hoof. “You don't see it because your eyes are always ahead, looking at the goal, not behind minding your team.”

Dust shrugged out a sigh of disgust, rolling her eyes. “Great, you're sticking me with two problem cases. Thanks.”

Deadpan, Storm narrowed his eyes at her. “Actually, I more worried about you failing them.”

Dust couldn't even speak. Her eyes were just wide and her mouth hung open.

“You are an amazing flier, Lightning. That means that if you make this team, your job will be to make sure everyone else can keep up with you. That means training teammates. And that's another thing, team. This is a team, not a competition. A team is only as fast as the slowest member, only as graceful as it's clumsiest flier. You're great, but no one will see that unless your team is great, too.”

Comments ( 10 )

Nice! This is looking like it should be pretty cool.

Interesting, keep up the good work.

2230349

:fluttershysad::heart::fluttershysad::heart::heart::heart:

Does this mean you like it? But it makes you sad?

L4

2232849

eh, sorry. Just filled with exictment. I love this story because it doesn't downplay LD but also is teaching her lesson in the progress and I can't wait for more.

This is an interesting story as I was hoping for a brief bonding moment between Lighting Dust and Princess Luna, a kindred spirit if you will.

Please do keep up the good work as second chances are rare in his world.

Are you going to add another chapter to this story?

6438121
I am actually working on it still, along with several other stories. I apologize for the delay.

“You are an amazing flier, Lightning. That means that if you make this team, your job will be to make sure everyone else can keep up with you. That means training teammates. And that's another thing, team. This is a team, not a competition. A team is only as fast as the slowest member, only as graceful as it's clumsiest flier. You're great, but no one will see that unless your team is great, too.”

I'd listen to Storm Cloud if I were you Dusty. You don't want to make the same mistake that you did back at Wonderbolts HQ, do you:ajsmug:?

Login or register to comment