• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 5,883 Views, 412 Comments

Batmare Begins - Batbrony



Derpy's life takes a whole new direction when she is given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. But where will this new journey take her, and who will she be at the end?

  • ...
7
 412
 5,883

Troubled Waters

“So how’d your meeting with Midnight go yesterday?”

“Oh, it was fine.”

“That’s it? Just ‘fine’?”

“Well she’s certainly a pleasant enough mare to talk to, it’s just… it’d be nice if she was in a different line of business.”

Derpy raised an eyebrow, noting the hint of disapproval expressed by Time as she took a sip of her coffee. She’d hoped they might run into each other again, and thankfully it seemed he’d taken a fancy to Sugarcube Corner. He’d also taken a fancy to muffins, if the blueberry one he was presently munching on was anything to go by.

Alright, prod him, but carefully. Time might be a valuable source of information, to a certain extent. Only one way to find out, and Midnight’s as good a place to start as any.

“What line of business is she in exactly?” she asked.

Time scoffed. “Oh c’mon, you were there, don’t tell me you don’t know!”

Derpy offered a casual shrug in return. “I don’t go to clubs that much, so I wouldn’t know what goes on there. I do know, though that we already had some in town when I left, and those weren’t a problem. So what’s wrong with Midnight’s Delight?”

Time chewed his lip in thought for a moment but eventually continued. “Ah what the hay, you’ll be seeing her plenty anyway, might as well. I’m sure plenty of other ponies around town know already. OK, well, Midnight’s girls… I’m pretty sure they do a little bit more than dancing, if you know what I mean.”

Recognition dawned on Derpy’s face. “Oh, I see. So… she’s a sex trafficker. Isn’t that illegal?”

To her surprise, Time shook his head. “There’s the rub of it all, she’s technically not in a legal sense. None of her workers actually sell sexual services; anything they do with patrons of a sexual nature is during their off-hours, on their own time, and of their own choice. Legally, they’re just having sex, and that’s perfectly lawful.”

“OK, so what’s the problem?”

“The problem is she’s using a loophole and implicitly selling sex. Money’s still coming in, but it’s not spent on mares, it’s spent on rooms which patrons rent for the night. The girls get to decide whether or not they want to spend the night with any patrons renting rooms, at least that’s what Midnight maintains. Says it ensures customers don’t cross any boundaries but I’m not sure I buy that. Sounds too easy to be true.”

Leaning back in her seat, Derpy stared at the ceiling, turning all this over in her mind.

It sure does. Then again, doesn’t seem like Midnight’s style. I may not know her too well, but everything I saw yesterday, it was genuine, the real deal, I’m sure of it.

“I don’t think she’s trying to pull the wool over your eyes or anything,” she finally concluded. “Midnight seems decent enough, at least from what I can tell so far. A little rough around the edges, sure, but I didn’t get a bad vibe from her yesterday. Certainly not like I got from some other parts of the South Side. All things considered, her club’s one of the nicer places in the whole neighborhood.”

“She’s still letting her employees sort of sell sex,” Time countered.

“Maybe, maybe. But it sounds to me like she’s trying her best to make sure no harm comes to them. I mean, just think of what they’d be doing at some of the other clubs around there. Have you seen some of those places? Scary. My skin crawled just looking at some of them.”

“Fair enough, but it’s still one technicality away from being prostitution.”

“Look, I’m not crazy about anyone doing… that for a living. But as long as they’re staying safe, I don’t see what the problem is. Horsefeathers, it’s not like that’s even completely unheard of in Equestria, we’ve got some legal brothels here and there. I know on good authority that the Kicker Clan operates a number of them for their own clan members, all sanctioned by the crown itself.”

Time seemed to mull that last point over for several moments before speaking again. “I get it, she’s not doing anything illegal, and maybe she does have the best of intentions for her workers. Maybe she really does give them full agency in deciding who they want to sleep with. However, it’s a dangerous game she’s playing. Sex work always is, any of it, especially when you don’t exactly have a stand-up clientele to service. Her patrons might be playing by her rules now, but who’s to say they always will?”

Derpy nodded understandingly. “I’m not crazy about it either, really. I mean, this is all new to me; I have no idea how places like that usually turn out in the long run. I just think you shouldn’t be so quick to judge Midnight and give her a chance is all. Get to know her, her business, her employees, before you pass judgment. We’re working in the South Side, you and I, and while our line of work may be different, it doesn’t hurt to have friends in a neighborhood like that. I’ll reserve my final judgment until I’ve gotten to know her better, so how ‘bout it?”

Time chuckled, shaking his head and flashing a wry smile. “Listen to you. You ought to be in law enforcement with a take-charge attitude like that, Derpy.” He downed the last of his muffin and washed it down with a sip of coffee. “But you’re right, we do need friends in a place like that. Heaven knows there’s already enough characters over there who don’t like me, why add to the list, right? All right, I’ll give her a chance; I’m still worried about how safe she can really keep her girls, but you raised some fair points. Besides, she’s the least of my concerns for the time being.”

Derpy studied Time from the corner of her eye as he scanned a newspaper in front of him, hesitant to pursue the thought currently on her mind but eventually opting to go for it. “Foggy Trotter by any chance one of those concerns?” she asked.

Time didn’t look up from his paper, but gave a flick of his ear at Derpy’s inquiry. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, Carrot mentioned him last night a few times when she was telling me about the new neighborhood. Didn’t have too many nice things to say about him.”

“Probably because there aren’t many nice things to say about him,” Time replied matter-of-factly.

“You say that like you know it,” Derpy observed.

Time nodded. “This isn’t my first time running into Foggy. He’s gotten around quite a bit in his day, and he’s never had a flattering reputation anywhere he’s gone. So stay away from the likes of him on your rounds, OK? He’s bad news.”

“Will do, but don’t worry, I can take care of myself,” she assured him.

“I’m sure you can, but better to avoid needless trouble in the first place than having to fend it off, am I right? Why are you so interested in him, anyway?”

Play it cool, Derpy, play it cool.

“Like I said, Carrot mentioned him a few times. That and he’s dating Firecracker. Seems like a lot of ponies around here have something to say about him, and since I’m still playing catch up on things around here, I figured you might know a thing or two about a guy like that.”

Time frowned. “Who’s Firecracker?” he asked, furrowing his brow.

“One of Midnight’s employees. Or, maybe just a friend, I don’t know, I guess she didn’t really tell me if she worked there or not. Orange pegasus, stunning good looks, ring a bell?”

“Oh, her!” Time said, recognition dawning on his face. “I think I remember seeing her yesterday but I don’t believe we were introduced. Kinda slipped out while I was meeting with Midnight. She’s dating Foggy, you say?”

“Seems that way.”

“Now that’s a dangerous game. Might have to have a talk with this Firecracker, if she’ll have me. If nothing else, she might be able to tell me something interesting.”

They made some more small talk after that for a little while longer. Ponies periodically came up to either welcome Derpy back or introduce themselves to Time; when a couple of police officers dropped by to pick up some snacks, the detective excused himself and joined them, making sure to wish Derpy a pleasant day before he left. Left alone, Derpy sat a few minutes more, collecting her thoughts.

I vouched for Midnight, but I’m gonna keep an eye on her. I’ve got to get to know her and her business better before I can say with certainty that she’s not taking advantage of her girls. Hopefully not, but hey, need to be sure.

For that matter, need to be sure about a lot of things. Time’s gonna be a good source going forward, but I can’t lean on him alone for info. I have to keep my ear to the ground, eyes wide open, before I do anything. Look, listen, and learn, look, listen, and learn. Right now, I could take action, but it wouldn’t get me anywhere; with the right knowledge, however, I can make an educated and informed action, and that might just be able to effect some real change.

Do it right. Do it right. Do it right. Do it right, Derpy, or don’t do anything at all.


“Hey there, mom, nice day today, huh?” Derpy remarked to the marble slab on the hillside. Setting her saddlebags full of mail down, she lay down beside her mother’s resting place and retrieved a sandwich bundled in plastic wrap from one of the bags. It was indeed a nice day, as picturesque as it ever got in Ponyville; the countryside lay bathed in the sun’s rays, birds chirped and critters scurried about, and all around the vibrant signs that spring was in full swing blossomed forth upon all manner of plant life. Yet, bright and beautiful as the sight was, troublesome concerns darkened Derpy’s thoughts.

Yeah, it sure is gorgeous; the model, picture perfect portrait of the quaint little town. But that’s all it is, isn’t it? A false image, a gleaming surface covering murky depths.

These were not the thoughts of an unceasingly cynical mind. In the month that’d passed since she’d returned, Derpy had learned plenty to warrant her concerns. Passing from one day to the next, moving about town as she did her job, made new friends and reconnected with old ones, on the surface it seemed like Derpy was falling into old, familiar routines with a few modifications to them. But like her home’s glistening exterior, she too had a fraudulent façade of her own.

Carefully, quietly, she’d been watching from the wings and listening from the eaves all over town, whenever and wherever she could. Any scrap of information, fearful rumors, gossip on the corner, whispers in the darkness, she’d absorbed. Slowly, like a million pieces in a puzzle coming together, it’d all started to form a cohesive whole.

Scared residents. The newly-arrived poor and destitute being trodden over or taken advantage of by the thugs, punks, and criminals roaming about. But, aside from the really stupid ones, they never got caught. The big troublemakers, the ones who stuck together and answered to Foggy Trotter, they always seemed to squeak on by and did just enough to stay out of the limelight. They had the sensibility to keep a wide berth between themselves and any pony of consequence in this town, especially the Element Bearers.

Intelligence. That’s what’s most disconcerting. Such a deliberate intelligence in what they do, but from these guys… doesn’t make any sense. When they’re not drinking all the cider in town they’re chasing tail or just being plain old bullies. It’s like they’re actually trying to get in trouble with the law, or hoping they do. But they’re too organized. There’s rumors of massive smuggling, but they haven’t gotten caught for anything like that. Nopony’s willing to stand up to them over the million “minor” offenses, not while they’re getting away with the big crimes.

Everyone’s hiding. Hiding something… our problems, our solutions, what we need right now. It’s all hidden away.

I guess that’s the trick, huh? Figuring out how to stop hiding. Stop hiding, step into the light, and drag everyone and everything else into it along with me. The good and the bad, the best and the worst, the ugly and the wonderful in our town.

Only question is… how?

Taking a bite from her sandwich, Derpy gave a sideways glance at her mother’s bevel marker. “What do you think, mom? What would you do?” In thoughtful silence, she pondered upon the words inscribed on the headstone: “Faithful to the end to all.”

“That’d be your way, alright. Doggedly, devoutly doing whatever you could to make things better. But that was your job. You put your talents to use in your work. What do I do with what I can do? How do I put my talents to use?”

She sat quietly for a while longer, slowly eating her sandwich and enjoying the beautiful weather, before noticing a familiar figure making her way up the hill towards her. “Major Gust, what’re you doing here?”

The major, sporting her Royal Guard armor, seemed to think about that a moment as she drew nearer before she answered. “Well I had some business in town today and I thought while I was here that I’d pay a dear old friend a visit,” she replied, indicating towards Ditzy’s resting place. “That and I had heard from Cloud that you’ve been visiting your mother quite a bit lately. Thought I might catch you here.”

“Me? What for?” Derpy asked.

“I wanted to check in on you. After all, that was a condition we established upon your return, was it not? You checking in with me on a regular basis.” Derpy blushed, realizing that with how preoccupied she’d been, she’d completely forgotten to meet with Nimbus once in the month since she’d returned.

“I am so sorry, I honestly completely forgot! Things have just been, well, just a bit hectic is all. That probably sounds like a really lame excuse, huh?” To her relief, the major just waved a dismissive hoof.

“It’s alright, it’s alright, don’t worry about it. Anyone would need some time to adjust after such an extended time away. So… how’ve you been?”

Derpy wolfed down the last few bites of her sandwich before responding. “Pretty good, yeah. Still getting a feel for some of the new ponies and places around here, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.”

An awkward silence hung in the air for some time after that, neither mare apparently certain where they wanted to go from there. “Is, uh, is that about what you wanted to hear?”

Nimbus blinked, seemingly surprised by the question. “I… yes, I suppose so. I guess I should be taking my leave then; it’s not my place to intrude on you while you’re visiting. Good day, Derpy, I’ll… see you around sometime soon, I suppose.” She turned to leave, but Derpy hastily called out to her.

“Wait! Don’t go. You can stay if you want, I don’t mind,” she said.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to impose or anything.”

“Yeah, really. I mean, you came out all this way.”

Nimbus hesitated, but reluctantly relented. “Alright, if you’re sure. Thank you. I do like coming out here when I can.” She trotted up to Derpy’s side, removing her helmet and shaking loose strands of her short mane from her eyes. She didn’t say anything, but that was hardly surprising. Derpy had a feeling that Nimbus wasn’t exactly the type to talk to the dead; she’d always struck her as being very private with many of her feelings and emotions, something she knew accounted for a fair bit of the tension between her and her daughter, Cloud.

Clearing her throat, Derpy spoke up after giving Nimbus some time to contemplatively regard her mother’s gravesite. “So… if you don’t mind my asking, ma’am, what did you really want to see me for? I can’t imagine you hoped to catch me just so you could check in as a formality.”

Nimbus let out a soft chuckle, turning to Derpy once more. “You certainly have your mother’s perceptiveness. Never could hide much from her, myself, she had too keen an eye when it came to reading others. Read me like an open book more than a few times.”

“Well I wouldn’t say I’m that good,” Derpy insisted. “Just figured it stands to reason, is all. When you pulled me aside when I got back a while ago, what was that about? Why were you concerned about how I was doing… ya know, in here?” she asked, pointing a hoof at her heart.

“Can’t a mare worry about the wellbeing of another mare?” Nimbus asked, barely concealing the fact that she was sidestepping the question. Verbal duplicity, however, was clearly not the major’s strong suit, and Derpy pressed on.

“I guess I was just… surprised, is all. The last time you really showed that kind of concern for me was, well, when we buried mom. I’ve kept that with me, make no mistake, and I’m grateful for what you said that day. For what you did. You were there for me when I just needed someone, anyone to be there for me. But that was a long time ago, and not to sound petty or unappreciative, but you haven’t really done anything like that since. So why now?”

Nimbus hung her head and closed her eyes, and Derpy felt a pang of guilt for a split second, fearing she’d been too harsh. The major, however, quickly recovered her composure and stared Derpy steadfastly straight in the eye. “You’re right. I haven’t been there for you. Maybe some would say that wasn’t my place to be in the first place, but it’s a fact that’s brought me a great deal of personal shame and regret in the past year. I wanted to do right by you, to honor your mother’s memory, but it was all too easy to get caught up in so much else. My job. My family. My duties.

“You weren’t my only failure, though, nor my greatest. I failed my daughter, too, forgot what I was supposed to be for her as her mother. Sad that it took almost dying and losing everything for me to realize that. The changeling invasion affected all of us in some way; for me, it brought my many failures to the surface. I’d spent so long putting duty at the center of my life that I’d almost forgotten what made that duty so precious and worthwhile in the first place. It’s those you love, those you share life with, in the good and the bad. Your mother was one of the first to really teach me that, get it through to me, but oh how easily we forget hard lessons learned. I most certainly forgot, and I’ve paid many prices for it.

“They called me a hero of Canterlot. A hero. A hero who almost died while barely on speaking terms with her eldest daughter. A hero who wasn’t living with her husband. A hero who hadn’t been there for her best friend’s daughter while she grew up with neither mother nor father in her life. Some hero, indeed.”

Derpy furrowed her brow. “So it’s… penance, you’re after?” she asked.

“In a manner of speaking, yes,” Nimbus said, nodding. “But more bluntly, I’m after life itself. I’d forgotten what makes life worth living; letting others into your life, and doing right by them by coming into their lives. If I don’t have that, then what do I have? What good is duty and fulfilling it if you have nothing to live for? I want to be there for you, Derpy. When you just need somepony to talk to, someone you no longer have in your mother’s absence, I want to be that someone. I didn’t do right by you before, but I fully intend to change that.”

Derpy gave a small smile and nodded understandingly. “I think I’d like that. My Aunt Dot’s great, but we just don’t get to see each other that much. I didn’t realize you and mom were so close, though.”

“Oh yes,” Nimbus affirmed. “Very close, indeed. She helped me… soften my outlook on life, in my younger days. Learn how to be honest with myself, and open up to and trust others. Not that I even asked her to or anything; I think she simply had a knack for knowing when somepony needed help like that. I was very glad when I learned that Cloud had befriended you at flight camp; I thought she might be able to do more good for you as your friend than I ever could. As your mother had for me.”

“Cloud’s definitely had my back many a time when I needed it. I like to think I’ve been there for her too since, well, she’s certainly had her fair share of rough patches as well.”

“I’m glad,” Nimbus said. “She certainly needed friends like you when… when others failed her.” To say Nimbus’s startling bluntness in this single conversation had taken Derpy off guard would be an understatement. She’d never opened up to Derpy about anything like this, so to hear her being so frank now was surprising, to say the least. Yet looking at her, listening to her, the guilt she genuinely felt was evident in her words and features.

Guess she has her own demons to grapple with, like I did. Only difference is all I needed to fix was me; Nimbus, on the other hoof, has to patch things up with Cloud, and who knows who else in her life.

“Things any better between you two, ya know, since everything with the changelings last year?” she asked.

“Yes and no,” Nimbus replied. “The good news is Tornado and I are living together again and doing very well, and that’s great, especially for little Alula. A young filly needs both of her parents in her life. The bad news is Cloud now resents us for completely different reasons.”

Derpy raised an eyebrow. “How so?”

“Well we tried to make peace with her after the attack, convince her that the past was the past and we were perfectly happy with the life she was leading. That might’ve worked before the changeling invasion, but unfortunately things changed afterward. Cloud was… indisposed during the attack, you see. She got caught in the great hall where the wedding ceremony was to be held. Sure, her father and sister were with her as well, along with practically half of Canterlot, but that didn’t matter to her. She… she blames herself terribly so for not being able to do something, anything during the attack, and I fear that is in large part my own fault. I resented her for so long for leaving West Hoof, for bringing shame to the family, and I made no secret of it. It’s why we’ve been so cold to each other for so many years. Now, that guilt I fear has a firm grip on her, and unfortunately she’s trying to make amends. Cloud’s been trying to rejoin the Guard ever since the attack.”

“What!?” Derpy exclaimed in shock.

“That’s not even the worst of it,” Nimbus continued. “Her father and I have been… pulling some strings to ensure she doesn’t get back into West Hoof. You can guess how that’s been going over with her, I’m sure.”

“Oh perfect. So now she’s mad because you’re stopping her from getting back into the Guard.”

“Exactly. She’s been threatening to simply enlist as a non-commissioned officer, but so far she hasn’t. I think Blossomforth is to thank for that; Tornado and I aren’t the only ones after all who don’t want her to do this.”

“Well that’s good,” Derpy remarked. “Anything I can do to help?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, there is,” Nimbus said. “My husband and I are having dinner at our place tomorrow evening for some family and business associates. Nothing too large, but we’ve been having some trouble convincing Cloud to come. We’d be happy to have you over, and maybe it’d be enough to get Cloud to come as well.”

Derpy considered her proposition for a moment. “I don’t know… I don’t want to make things awkward or anything if this is a formal gathering.”

Nimbus waved a hoof. “Nonsense, you’re one of my daughter’s best friends. That’s close enough as far as I’m concerned. And it’s hardly what I’d call formal; Tornado and I simply want to meet some of my brother’s new officers on the police force. We like to maintain good relations with the local law enforcement since our own work often requires that we collaborate with them. So what do you say?”

New officers, huh? Guess that means Time would be there, and if Cloud and maybe even Blossom come as well, maybe I wouldn’t be that out of place. If it helps Nimbus at all with patching things up with Cloud, I guess it’d be worth it, sure.

“Ah what the hay, sure I’ll come,” she finally answered.

Nimbus’s eyes lit up and she flashed the smallest of smiles, which by Derpy’s judgment meant she must have been elated. “Thank you, that’s very considerate of you. Dinner’s at six o’clock at our new cloud-house just north of town. Here’s the address.” She hoofed over a small business card with the address printed on it. “Please, if you see Cloud, do mention that you’re coming.”

“Don’t worry, we’re working out together later today, I’ll mention it then,” Derpy assured her.

“Wonderful. Well, I’ll see you then, Derpy. Have a nice rest of your day.” Putting her helmet back on, Nimbus took off from where she stood, flying north presumably back to the base where Machwing Company was currently stationed. Derpy looked after her until she was just a dot on the horizon, then turned back to her mother’s headstone.

So you and Cloud’s mom were tight, huh? That’s weird to think about knowing her. But I guess not so much for you. Well, Cloud’s been there for me a lot over the years, and I think Nimbus is trying to as well. If I can be there for them at all, help them out with their own rough patch, I’ll try to do what I can. That’s what friends are for, right?

Picking up her saddlebags, Derpy slung them back over her trunk once more. “Gotta go now, mom. Talk to ya later.”


“What the hay do you think you’re doing? Unless you’re here for drinks or a good time, get out! Boomer, what do I pay ya for, toss these bums out this minute!”

“Sorry Mister Burn, but they, uh–”

“On the contrary, Sunny, this search warrant says I have every right to be here,” Time said, interrupting the flustered bouncer trying his best to placate his fuming boss. Waving the aforementioned warrant in front of Sun Burn’s ever-reddening face, the detective turned to Officers Frost and Flowers. “We’re not leaving until we’ve searched the entirety of Club Crimson Veil and confiscated any evidence indicative of criminal activities, courtesy of Judge Hickory Nut. Bark at him about it all you like, if you want, but I doubt you’ll get anywhere. He was all too happy to authorize the search after the case I made.”

Sun Burn snorted in fury. The diminutive earth pony had a notoriously short fuse, and at the moment looked as red as a ripe tomato and on the verge of spiraling into an uncontrollable rage. While his bouncer and other employees and customers in the vicinity quaked in fear or shared nervous glances, Time simply smirked in amusement. He’d dealt with far worse than irate club managers before, plus he had to set a good example for the officers under his charge. Flowers was still learning the ropes, and while Frost may have been a fairly seasoned veteran for her age, he still had to maintain her trust in his command by remaining in control of the situation.

Alright Time, this could be it, the big break you’ve been looking for. We’ve got them this time, I’m sure of it.

At that exact moment, however, an oily snicker came from behind him; unfortunately, it just so happened to be one which Time was more than a little familiar with. Spinning around, Time found himself face-to-face with none other than Foggy Trotter. There was no mistaking that degenerate, with his teal coat and slicked-back, sickly-green hair, slimy as seaweed. By his side stood a subdued Firecracker, silent as the grave. She didn’t appear particularly thrilled to be there, but whatever she might’ve been thinking at that moment, she kept it to herself. Brushing past Spring Frost and Sun Flowers, Foggy sauntered up to Time, still snickering.

“Well, well, well, Detective Turner. We seem to be seeing more and more of each other lately. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say I have my own personal stalker. You really need a hobby, you know that?”

“My work keeps me busy enough, thanks,” Time tersely replied. “Actually it’s rather fortunate that you’re here. Saves me the trouble of hunting you down in the event that we do find anything of interest.”

“Now why would you be doing that, huh? I’m just a humble business stallion,” Foggy insisted.

“Don’t play dumb, Foggy!” Time spat, getting some spittle on Foggy’s suit. “We all know you own Club Crimson Veil. Sun Burn’s just the manager, so anything we find here goes back to you.”

Annoyance flashed across Foggy’s face. “Watch the suit, Turner. It costs more than you make in two months,” he said, dabbing the lapel of his suit with a handkerchief. “But by all means, search away. I promise you, I’ll take full responsibility for anything untoward you might find in my fine, upstanding establishment. I ain’t going anywhere, so you can cuff me right here and now. If you do find anything, of course.”

A feeling of dread formed in the pit of Time’s stomach. Foggy was acting far too cocky for his liking, and he had a good idea why. But he refused to betray his developing doubts in front of his subordinates or Foggy and his sneering supporters. He wouldn’t give them the satisfaction, even if he had already lost.

“Officer Frost, stay put and keep an eye on things. Officer Flowers, you’re with me; let’s comb this place top to bottom.”


“Well that was a bust,” Spring Frost dryly remarked.

“To be fair, there was an unusually high amount of alcoholic beverages on the premises,” Sun Flowers said. “I don’t know about you, but anyone storing that much alcohol seems pretty fishy to me.”

“Flowers, it’s a nightclub for pity’s sake. Of course there was a lot of booze!” Spring Frost explained, not even trying to conceal her exasperation.

“Oh… yeah, I guess that makes sense,” he conceded, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

“Now, now, it’s alright Spring, he’s just trying to help,” Time said. “I know we’re all disappointed things didn’t go as expected, but there’s no need to take out your frustrations on Flowers.”

“I’m sorry, sir, you’re right, it’s just… buck, we had them! I know we had them that time, and they slipped away yet again! Not a single shred of evidence, no drugs, no papers, not so much as one smuggled good. All that work for nothing.”

“I know, I know, it stinks. Gotta keep your chin up, though, officer, and move on. Can’t win ‘em all, but that’s why we press on and take it one day at a time.”

The normally cheery Sun Flowers shook his head, looking rather sullen. “I’m sorry, sir, really. I thought our sources were good this time.”

“They were,” Spring insisted. “They were good sources, they were good tips. We all know what happened. Some feathering snitch spilled the beans.”

“That’s enough, Spring,” Time said.

“But–”

“I said that’s enough, officer! Not here, not now. We’ll discuss this later. For now, call it a day and go home, both of you. Get some rest, clear your heads, and we’ll get back to it tomorrow. And don’t forget, we’ve got dinner with the commissioner tomorrow night, so be on your best behavior, capeesh? He needs to know without a doubt that he can still count on us, even when the going gets tough.”

Both officers relented and nodded, going to their own lockers, even though it was clear Officer Frost was still wound up. Once they’d cleared out from the police station locker room and gone home for the day, Time gave a quick once over to make sure he was alone before dropping his own composure he’d somehow managed to maintain since their search had come up emptyhoofed.

“Nothing. Damn it all to Tartarus, again nothing!” He slammed his locker shut, only now betraying his true frustration. It wouldn’t have done any good to do so in front of those two. Had to keep up appearances, for the sake of his command, for the sake of the mission. Still…

Can’t say I blame Frost. She’s just saying what we’re all feeling, in one way or another. Even Flowers, for all his cheeriness and generally sunny disposition, is starting to get down, I just know it. Who wouldn’t after our track record so far? Three searches, three misses, three humiliations, and everywhere we go there’s that cheeky bastard Foggy Trotter right behind us. He knows I’m out to nail him, and he’s always one step ahead. Well, he and his friends that is, whoever they might be. I refuse to believe it’s all him.

Commish was right, unfortunately, this force is definitely dirty. No telling how dirty, but it’s got to be dirty enough; we got that warrant only an hour before the search. Somepony must’ve tipped them off we were going to get it, cause there’s no way they cleared out what they had there in less than an hour. How does a guy like Foggy get those kind of connections all of a sudden? He’s not a string-puller, never has been. So how’d he all of a sudden wind up with this nice setup? Gah, still too many questions that need answering.

Heading over to a nearby sink, Time turned it on and splashed some water on his face, trying to wipe away the day’s grime and disappointments. He heard the locker room door open as he dried off, and when he turned there was the commissioner.

“Heard things didn’t go so well, detective,” Commissioner Gust bluntly remarked.

“Yeah, you could say that,” Time admitted.

“Methinks it’s time for a change in your approach,” he suggested. Time mulled it over in his head, nodding.

“Maybe, maybe. The truth’s there, barely hidden beneath the surface. Ponies are talking, talking aplenty. They want to help. The trouble is a particularly troublesome patch of dirt that’s clouding it all, and I haven’t quite figured out how to get to it. You?”

The commissioner shook his head. “Nothing yet. Can’t do too much on my end, unfortunately, lest I show my cards before I’m ready to make a move. Right now, seems like the best we’ve got still is simply knowing the dirt’s out there. It’s a start, but that won’t be good enough in the long run. I presume it is still just you and me who know, yes?”

Time hesitated before replying. “I’m not so sure. Frost and Flowers both seem pretty sure somepony’s been tipping someone off about our raids, and I can’t really blame them. This last one was supposed to be our big breakthrough. I figured after searching two of Foggy’s warehouses down by the riverfront and coming up with nothing that going after one of his clubs instead would be something he wasn’t expecting. Evidently I was wrong, and it’s not hard to reason what happened.”

“Is that a problem? Do they… know of our suspicions?” the commissioner asked.

“I don’t think so. Maybe they’re thinking it, but I certainly haven’t told them what you told me. It shouldn’t be a problem though, as long as they keep it to themselves.”

The commissioner raised a skeptical eyebrow. “You’re sure they’re not the problem, if you know what I mean?”

“Yeah, pretty sure. I know the obvious culprits would be the ponies I’ve been working closest with, but after a month with those two, I think it’s safe to say they’re clean. Flowers is as clean as an idealistic rookie comes, though he’s learning the ropes quickly. As for Frost, she’s a cop from a military family; I think she’d die before sullying her family’s name by turning dirty. Guess it’s mostly a gut feeling on my part, but they’re both good cops as far as I’m concerned.”

The commissioner grunted but nodded. “That’s good enough for me. So aside from that and what we already knew, what else have you learned?”

“Not too much I’m afraid,” Time admitted. “I’ve got a good sense for who the bad eggs around here are. Foggy and his subordinates aren’t exactly what I’d call subtle. Besides Midnight Marvel, pretty much all the other major club managers in the South Side answer to Foggy. He’s got most of the muscle over there under his hoof as well, lots of them guys who worked for him or the Trotters back in Manehattan. But that’s all gut instinct as well. It’s not hard to figure they’re the ones causing trouble, just damn near impossible to tie it all back to them. That’s what I can’t figure out. Who’s covering their tracks? Because it sure as hay isn’t them, I can tell you that much.

“It’s infuriating because there’s no one to even turn to. It’s more than just dirty cops, that’s for sure. Like you said my first day, there’s something behind all this. Something intelligent, something sinister. But it’s stayed in the shadows damn well so far.”

A contemplative silence hung in the air between the two for a moment. Fear weighed down upon the two, fear of what lay in the shadows, fear of not knowing their enemy but knowing it was out there. The worst aspect of the unknown was often simply its being unknown. “Anything else, detective?” Commissioner Gust finally asked.

“Well, there’s definitely been a couple of disappearances since I arrived, but again, it’s like you said; new faces, and ones nopony else knew or were going to miss, so it’s impossible to figure out what’s happened. They’re just gone, and I don’t know what that means. Maybe you’re right, maybe I do need to change my approach. But how? I guess I could start trying to figure out who’s covering for Foggy, but I’d probably have to bring in Officers Frost and Flowers for that. You OK with that?”

“Do what you think is best, detective. If you think they can be trusted, that’s good enough for me. You may not have come up with anything yet, but you’ve proven one thing at least in the last month. You’re a good cop, Turner. Relentless, determined, savvy, and perseverant. I was right to bring you on, and I know if you keep at it you’ll come up with something. Crooks are often surprised to see how far determination alone can get an honest officer.”

Time gave a grateful smile. “Thank you, sir, I appreciate it. I promise you, we will dig up something on these guys, just you wait.”

“I don’t doubt it. So, you on for tomorrow night at my sister’s?”

“You bet. They have accommodations for us non-pegasi?”

“Of course. Rented Cherry Berry’s hot air balloon service for the night, and I believe they should also have a unicorn there to cast a cloud-walking spell on you and Officer Flowers. Unless of course you’re already wearing thunderforged steel horseshoes.”

“Afraid not,” Time disclosed. “Don’t worry sir, I’ll try not to embarrass you too much,” he quipped, grinning.

“Please do,” Commissioner Gust replied, the joke apparently going over his head. That or he simply didn’t have a funny bone in his body. “Lieutenant Commander Kicker and Major Gust keep a close eye on behalf of the Crown on the goings on in Ponyville. They need to know that Ponyville’s own law enforcement is carrying its own weight and that we can take care of our own affairs. Is that understood?”

Time’s instincts told him they could use all the help they could get, but he understood where the commissioner was coming from. The Royal Guard wasn’t necessarily the place to seek help, at least not if they hoped to quietly uncover what exactly was going on. All it would do was strain the Guard’s own resources and draw unwanted attention to their investigation, at which point it might become impossible to discover who really was behind all of Ponyville’s recent troubles. At least, he hoped that was Commissioner Gust’s reasoning, and not simply a case of sibling rivalry between him and Major Gust, but he figured he knew the commissioner well enough by this point to know he wasn’t petty enough to do such a thing.

“Understood, sir,” he finally answered.

“Good. I’ll see you at six. Oh, and please remind Flowers to dress in uniform. I want you all to make the best first impression you can on them, and looks are key to making a good first impression.”

“Of course, sir, I’ll remind him. See you tomorrow.”


“So mom’s dragging you to that bore-fest dinner, huh?”

“Well, it doesn’t sound that bad. She thought it’d be a good way to check in on how I’m doing, ya know, make sure I’m not getting into any trouble, that sorta thing.”

“Pshhh, she would. Celestia forbid she actually want to, oh I don’t know, just spend some time with anypony just because she actually wants to. No, no, no, can’t have that now, can we? That simply can’t be the Kicker way of doing things!”

Derpy grimaced as she turned on her side away from Cloud for some side leg lifts.

Oh crap, that might have been the wrong angle to take. Can’t let Cloud think I’m going so she’ll come along, though; she’ll never come if she gets that impression.

The two mares, along with Blossomforth, were doing some stretches as cooldown after already finishing the majority of their workout. Derpy had enjoyed working out with the two fairly regularly ever since she got back seeing as they were both physically fit and healthy pegasi who, as assistant managers on Ponyville’s weather team, had physically demanding jobs which required they keep in shape. As such, they did some pretty rigorous workouts. It didn’t hurt that Cloud had attended West Hoof either, and Derpy had actually found that some of her friend’s normal workout routines paralleled ones she’d regularly done with the Order.

Luckily for her, Blossomforth was there to make a save.

“Aw come on Cloud, be reasonable, I’m sure your mother’s plenty well-intentioned. It’s not like it’ll be some interrogation, it’s a social gathering with mostly family of yours. How formal could she really be?”

“You’d be surprised,” Cloud maintained, but Blossomforth simply rolled her eyes.

“Cloud!” she said sternly.

“Fine, fine, it could be perfectly nice for all I know,” Cloud conceded. “So you’re for sure going to be there?” she asked Derpy.

Derpy nodded. “Yup. Hey, if nothing else it’s a free meal, right?” she said, giggling to herself.

Cloud snorted. “Normally that’d hardly be incentive enough for me with those two, but if you’re gonna be there I suppose it won’t be so bad. Besides, I’d hate to leave you all alone with my folks for a whole dinner. That might get just a tad… awkward.”

While Derpy thought Cloud was being a bit hard on her parents, she had to admit she had a point. She still barely knew Cloud’s mom, and knew her dad even less. Really her closest connection to their family was through Cloud, so hearing she’d be coming was a bit of a relief to say the least.

“All right, Sexy McBendy, sounds like we’re on for dinner at Funhouse Central tomorrow,” Cloud announced to her marefriend, currently contorting herself in a stretch that was just painful to even look at. Blossomforth grunted in annoyance in response.

“Fine by me, but what did I tell you about pet names in public?” she sharply asked.

“Something about say as many as often as possible, right?” Cloud replied with a grin plastered on her face.

“You are so incorrigible.”

“I am, I really am. If you prefer, I could go with that one from the other night instead. You know, the one I came up with after you did that thing with the lotion, scarves, and– ”

“Cloud!”

“Aw, but I was just about to get to the blindfold,” Cloud said in feigned protest, winking.

Blossom sighed, painfully aware that Cloud wasn’t going to stop until she played along. “No no, it’s fine, Sexy, er… McBendy is perfectly fine,” she said, wincing.

“Aw, I love you too sweetums!” Cloud gave a peck on Blossomforth’s rapidly reddening cheek. Derpy quietly laughed under her breath, not wanting to embarrass poor Blossomforth any further.

Well, no matter how dinner goes, at least it should be plenty entertaining with those two along.

The three mares quickly finished up the last of their cooldown before heading to the locker room. Before she left, Derpy made a point to ask, “So Cloud, your mom didn’t mention this before; any need for formal wear tomorrow evening?”

“What’re you kidding me? Dad hates dressing up in the house. Nah, it’ll just be a pretty low-key affair for family and friends, you know how it goes. See ya tomorrow!”

“You too!” Derpy called out before leaving the locker room and heading home.

Author's Note:

Alright, as promised here is the first installment of five upcoming chapters in the next two weeks! Once again, I want to thank all my readers for being so patient while I worked on this update. A big thanks as well to my editor, DashForever, as well as Chengar Qordath, who was kind enough to look at segments of my chapters involving the Kickers or other Winningverse elements and answer any questions I had for him. If you haven't yet, you should totally check out his Winningverse, it's one of the best pony fanfic settings out there! That's all for today, hope you all enjoy the latest update, and if you have any comments or questions feel free to leave them in the comments section below!