• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 20,553 Views, 1,924 Comments

Mordane Stronghoof - Mr Stargazer



After an existential journey goes wrong, a man finds himself in Equestiria. With no way to return home he has no choice but to find a path in a new body. Will he discover a place to belong once again in this new land, or be forced to carve one out?

  • ...
125
 1,924
 20,553

Ice Wing's Decision

Ice wing swirled the brandy in his glass. His mane was covered in filth and outside he could hear the lamentation of his soldiers.

The great fortress lay in ruin. Many of its internal hallways where collapsed. The outer walls had lost two towers. Worse though the spell matrix was gone. Collapsed according to his mages. The energy used to fuel a massive teleportation spell.

He drank the small gulp and dropped the glass onto the ground, breaking it. He then locked his eyes on the form in front of him.

The enemy general Mordane laid prone there. His form riddled with cuts and still stained from the pool of blood they found him in. His cloak and armor lay tossed to the side of the tent.

Laid for all to see where his wings.

Ice wing considered for a brief moment to take another drink but decided against it as he would need to be of a clear mind.

“Will he live?” He asked. Causing the doctor hovering over Mordane to jump slightly.

“Yes, I believe so. Most of his wounds are superficial and I have wiped him of disease. He seems to heal as fast as a pegusi. As for the horn though…” He walked to the end with Mordanes head. “I believe so. I’ve resigned the exposed tip of his horns core which appeared intact. If a bit singed. He will likely make a full magical recovery if it is not used for a time.”

“How much time.”

“About a year.” The doctor nodded. “That should be long enough for it to grow back. Though, it may be faster as he is also part pegusi.”

Ice wing shook his head. Remembering the sight of the spell matrix collapsing.

“He should be dead. Why isn’t he?”

“My only theory is that it has something to do with his earth pony endurance.”

“Earth pony?”

The doctor nodded. Then lifted one of Mordanes hooves and pointed it at him.

“You see how wide the hoof is, how it flares out ever so slightly. This is only seen in earth ponies. That along with the calf muscles I say it’s safe to say that he has equal parts of all three races.”

“Remarkable.”

Ice wings eyes flicked over to Lance Light as he entered the tent.

“So the pony that gave you such trouble was something out of lengend.” He lifted up his wings. “An alicorn.”

“So it would seem.”

“The Irona parliament may even forgive your offences after sending them such a pri-“

“I claim ransom rights.”

Lance Light froze confusion shifted across his eyes before truning to rage.

“What!?” He snapped rushing to Ice wings face “ You dare.”

“I dare.” He said. Lance Light sputtered. Then glared.

“Your brother will not save you. The council demanded the enemy commanders death.”

“The council would blame me for this travesty and you cannot override me in this. It is my right.”

“It is your right.” Lance Light spat. “Tartarus take you.”

The sleazy councilor stormed out. Ice wing looked over at the doctor.

“You as well. Go prepare wing and a horn restraint…Covering the horn won’t stop it from healing right?”

“No sir.” He bowed and hurried out as well.

Ice wing stood and plodded over to the alicorn before him. On the way he picked up a sharp shard of glass of the ground and placed it against Mordanes jugular.

He stood there a long time. Thinking. Considering. Mordane after all had indirectly killed so many of his soldiers. Yet the same thing that had prevented him from doing the same after he had been laid there stopped him. The same that had caused him to call the doctor.

“My brother is a cruel bastard. “

He whispered.

“I have seen him kill for no reason. I have seen him boast…just like him. Just like my grandfather you have something in you that drives you to rise. To take what you can. Using others as they see fit. Using fear to get what they want.”

He pressed a little harder.

“That brother of mine will throw me under cart after this is over. Then he will hang you in the town square. Taking credit for your capture. Already the news is spreading far and wide. Of the necromancer butcher. Of the unicorn with wings. Of Stronghoof the Destroyer. You will be more feared then my brothers ever could be and fear is power.”

Ice wing dropped his shard to the floor.

“But…you are not like them. You are rational. You care about the pawns you use. I don’t know if that makes you weaker than them but it’s enough that I don’t want you to stop here.”

He stood up and began to make his way to the messenger’s tent.

“The only way I can put you out of their reach is to sell you. The bickering lords of Tietus will pay handsomely for the right to own you. Perhaps…if you are able. You will escape slavery.”

He turned back one last time before walking out.

“It has been an honor being your opponent Mordane Stronghoof.”

The flap closed. Mordanes eyes never flickered and there was none to hear him.