• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 6,055 Views, 236 Comments

When Kindness Met Hatred - Dramapony



Fluttershy tells the story of her brother, and the family that rejected him.

  • ...
40
 236
 6,055

Introduction

Introduction

Um… h-hello. Call me Fluttershy.

I sit in the quiet comfort of my cottage on the outskirts of Ponyville. My many animal friends flock, fly, hop, scurry, run, climb and rest within my many walls and cupboards. My love for all living things is what allows me to give them a warm home, such as this, and I am proud for it. My unconditional love for all has touched several animals and ponies alike.

But even a powerful heart is given its limits.

In front of me, my hooves press the keys of an ancient typewriter, musically chiming the words of my mind. I think of all that has happened to me with a still conflicted mind. I type memories that I wish I could forget, names that either pierce or warm my heart and the story that can never be forgotten.

I have always been told that my greatest virtue is my kindness. It has blessed my life with many wonderful things: friends, compassion, empathy, love, even an Element of Harmony. It has always come to me as naturally as breathing. Without kindness, there can be no friendship, love, or beauty; this is who I am—Kindness.

But I had to learn that even the kindest of ponies can only hold so much tolerance for those plagued with so much hatred.

Hatred speaks more than just a harmful word. Hatred is a virus that begins with the infection of one pony, then spreads through deadly words to others around them. When hatred kills one pony, many others follow them to the grave. Hatred shortens the patience of a saint. Hatred breaks down the wall that barricades anger away from a life of happiness. Witnessing the very crimes of hatred can cause the most peaceful ponies to cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war.

When hatred came for the young colt whom I loved more than anypony else in Equestria, I became just as much a victim as himself. When hatred came, I learned that a parent’s love CAN be conditional. When hatred came, the world I once painted beautiful took a new canvas of a gloomy, dark reality. When hatred came, I almost lost the very kindness that has given me a wonderful life.

Please, I wish you would stay with me… if you wouldn’t mind that is. He never asked me to tell our story; I WANT to tell our story. For him. For me. For all those who almost lost everything…

When the bonds of a family broke beyond repair.

When children fought against their parents.

When cowardliness became courage.

When the voice of an angel became the voice of defiance.

When compassion met selfishness.

When peace met war.

When love met ignorance.

When acceptance met rejection.

When Kindness Met Hatred…

Author's Note:

So, yes, I decided to add an introduction. I did not do this because of any suggestions, but the thought just came to me while sitting in a class. I felt the great urge to write this and hopefully give the story a stronger opening. I hope I was able to succeed. For those who are new, I just want to say Welcome! And enjoy the story!