• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 309 Views, 0 Comments

Thundershield - TheTautomer



A young stallion's life before the War of Equestria.

  • ...
 0
 309

Chapter 3

It was to be a surprise party.

When Aqueda wrote back to Dusty’s letters, she never mentioned the party. Ms. Delphinetly was there too to help with the preparations with the rest of the town. The kids were running around and playing games with each other. The atmosphere swelled with excitement and anxiousness as the crowd awaited their beloved sheriff. Everyone dressed for the occasion, wearing the nicest clothes they had had. They wanted to make the best welcome home party any pony had experienced. Talks of Dusty’s heroism were spreading throughout the house as Thundershield entered through the front porch. “Hey, Thunder!” said Firesword while running towards his friend, “I was looking for you! Where you been?”

“I was outside.”

“You okay?”

“I just… I’m happy my dad is coming back and all, but I want to be with him now. I feel confused about something.”

“Confused, eh? That’s a first. What’s on your mind?”

“Well, I guess it may not be confusion. It’s more worriment.”

“Berry Mint? You mean the girl in our class? You’re crushing on her?!”

“No worriment like the act of… look, until my dad comes back, I will be consistently worried about him.”

“Dude, he’s Dusty Oaks, only the greatest sheriff in all of Equestria! I mean, he stopped those bandits from attacking the town, saved the town during a sandstorm, saved a little girl from a rattlesnake bite, heroically saved a bandwagon from more bandits, saved the town from starvation by traveling to Ponyville to receive supplies-.”

“You’re right. My dad’s fine. Thanks, Firesword!” Firesword nodded and both colts went to help with the decorations. As Thundershield walked with Firesword, they met the school bully, Hefty.

“Well, well, look who it is, Fart brains and the Flaming toothpick!” His groupies laughed. Hefty was a big pony, who had a skull bone cutie mark. His coat was a dark color with a dark mane. His eyes were crimson, just like blood.

“Hey there Huff’n puff, what’s shakin?” asked Firesword

“Shut up, toothpick! I’m here because my dad dragged me here. I wouldn’t want to be here anyways. Besides, you will never be as good as your dad ever was.”

“Like you’ll be any better than my dad?” asked Thundershield rhetorically.

“Oh yea, at least twenty times better when I grow up.”

“Really? Why not now? Lemme see that potential you got there.”

“With pleasure, Fart brains!” Just as Hefty was going to attack Thundershield, Firesword stopped both of them.

“Wait, how about an eating contest? Y’know, so the parents don’t make a fuss about it?” said Firesword.

“Looks like the Flaming Toothpick has more smarts than you, Fart brains. I challenge you, dunderface, to an eating contest.”

“As much as you should lose some weight, I’m in you giant blackberry.”

Hefty frowned, but just turned around. “See you later, Fart brains.” Thundershield looked at Firesword with relief and gratitude. He didn’t want to wreck the party. The gratitude became overshadowed by a sudden realization.
“Firesword, how can I beat Hefty in an eating contest? Look at him, he could eat twenty ponies and still ask for dessert!” exclaimed Thundershield

“I don’t know. I just thought it would be a good idea,” said Firesword.

“Do you think he’ll beat me?”

“No,” said Firesword, “He’s going to grind you to dust.”

“I hate you so much right now.”

“And then munch on you like a bag of sugar.”

“All. Of. My. Hate.”

Later that night, the eating contest was underway between the arlicorn and the pony. “Ready to lose, Fart brains?” asked Hefty

“Dude, my IQ is at least 100 points above yours. I am not stupid,” said Thunderbolt

“What’s an IQ?”

“Make that 200.”

“Whatever, your ‘IQ’ is not going to help you in this competition!”

Firesword came up and exclaimed, “Foals and colts, tonight we have our eating competition between Thundershield and Hefty. Usually, each contestant must not only be the first to eat all of the food, but they must eat it without any vomit! Today, however, is a surprise party. So, given that Dusty will be-”

“YEAAAA! DUSTY OAK!” said a random colt. Firesword turned towards the colt in a scowl. And by scowl, I mean death glare.

“sorry,” said the young colt.

“-here in any minute, they must be able to eat as much food as they in 5 minutes without vomiting! When I say go, start eating.”

Thundershield looked down at all twenty dishes. They were filled with a giant burrito, pies, and a variety of other foods that were fit for 10 ponies. “I regret everything,” thought Thundershield.

“Players are you ready?!” said Firesword.

Hefty let out a mighty yell while Thundershield nodded his head in a stricken state. How could he finish all this food? There was no way, but he couldn’t lose to Hefty! How was he going to-

“GO!” and he was stuffing his face before he could think about it.

Hefty was a pig, constantly eating his plates with nothing but an open mouth. Food would always sputter from his mouth making the crowd move two yards back. He tried to sneak in a break.

“Hey, no breaks!” said Firesword making the rest of the crowd boo at Hefty. Hefty glanced over to find Thundershield eating his food as well. Hefty tried to take a bite, but he couldn’t eat anymore! Just as he was about panic, Thundershield finished his food. “Holy…cow…I’m… done…” Thundershield exclaimed in between huffs. The crowd young mares and colts cheered for Thundershield. What a short cheer it was.

An adult stallion yelled, “WHO TOOK THE FOOD?!” The young crowd vanished in all directions they could find away from the rage. Thundershield hid with Firesword, with a lot of huffing and puffing. Then they just looked at each other and laughed. Firesword abruptly stopped laughing and became confused. “How?” asked Firesword.

“Huh?” replied Thundershield

“How did you beat him? The colt can eat everything and beyond like it was a snack.”

“…I don’t know. Miracles?”

“Or you’re just secretly a fatass? Either way, Hefty doesn’t doesn't discriminate the size when he's gonna kick it.”

“Yea, bet he’s looking for me and try to get payback,” said Thundershield.

“There you are, hijo,” said Aqueda. “Vamos, we need to hide for your father.” She then nudged Thundershield and Firesword behind the couch. Thundershield and Firesword dashed towards the couch crouched behind it. The lights were off and the room seemed completely empty. The sound of the key entering the lock interrupted the complete, yet small silence. “That’s dad!” thought Thundershield, “I can’t wait to give him the greatest hug he will ever get!” The lock began to rotate.

“This is it!”

The knob rotated.

“Three.”

The door slightly opened.

“Two.”

The door opened a little bit more.

“One.”

The door opened.

“Surprise!” shouted all of the ponies.

And a surprise indeed, for Dusty never showed up to his own party.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment