• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 1,986 Views, 49 Comments

Life and Death - Timstro59



After a strange day at work, a brony finds himself in Equestria. He has to find out who brought him here and for what reason.

  • ...
14
 49
 1,986

Epilogue

It has been exactly one year since the second battle for Canterlot, and the unicorn known as Twilight Sparkle has had a hard time adjusting without the smile of Dashing Light in her library. She became more introverted, more closed in. The more her friends tried to reach out to her, the more she pulled back. She had promised herself that today she would try to move on with her life and she was going to visit him for the last time. “Spike, I’m going out for a few days. Take care of the library while I’m gone.” He replied “Where are you going?” She replied “To Canterlot, I’m going to visit him for one last time.” Spike didn’t bother asking anymore questions.

She had just left the library when she got tackled by a cyan blur. “Hi there Twi.” Twilight grumbled and asked “What do you want?” Rainbow replied “I want to know if you’re okay?” Twilight responded “And you figured the best way to ask was to tackle me? Very clever.” Rainbow realized what she had done and got off of Twilight, helping her up. Twilight spoke up with a lie “I’m fine Rainbow. I just need a vacation, that’s all.” Rainbow raised an eyebrow, “Where ya going?” Twilight replied “Canterlot.” Rainbow then realized what Twilight meant. “Oh, I’m sorry.” Rainbows wings drooped down and dragged against the ground as she walked off; knowing the pain her friend was going through.

The next Pony Twilight ran into on the way to the train station was Bon Bon. “Oh hi Twilight. How are you, we haven’t seen you for a while.” Twilight replied, again lying, “I’m fine.” Bon Bon knew she wasn’t. “Listen, I know what its’ like. You don’t have to lie to me.” Twilight asked “How do you go on?” Bon replied “It’s hard, but I do it for Lyra. She’s my whole reason for living now. And some things are better left in the past.” Twilight thanked Bon for the advice and reached the train station. After paying the 15 bits for a ticket to Canterlot, She boarded the train, bound for Canterlot.

After the train left the station, Twilight began looking out at the scenery, taking in its beauty. She had never noticed it before, usually because she had her nose buried in a book. The lush green tress, the rolling hills, the clouds in the sky, Cloudsdale off in the distance and Canterlot in the side of the mountains. It’s was all so wonderful that Twilight couldn’t help but find a smile on her face. She pulled a small notebook out of a saddlebag and starting writing down some notes. These aren’t the typical Twilight fare in terms of notes. They were notes of everything that she had failed to share with Dashing during their short time together. She figured that the reason why they hadn’t spent much time together is that since Dashing was new to the town, that she would let him get settled in and find a job.

After a bit of thinking and writing down notes the train had arrived at Canterlot Station, surprising Twilight who had been lost in her thoughts. As she got off the train she could’ve sworn she saw a familiar looking pony. “No, it couldn’t have been.” She wrote off the experience as simply stress. Walking through the streets of Canterlot was usually always a nostalgic experience for Twilight, but this time it just reminded her of what she had lost. A little brown and blue Unicorn Colt saw her obvious distress and ran over to her. He floated a flower over to her and asked “Smile please?” She couldn’t say no to the little colt, she gave a half-hearted smile. The colt, seemingly satisfied, floated the flower so that it rested on Twilights ear and ran off. Her smile became a little more genuine.

She approached the Castle and was momentarily stopped by the front guards, who let her in quickly once they realized who they were talking to. As she walked over to the Throne room, she found herself thinking of him again and his final words. “He didn’t even say good-bye.” She thought as she began to tear up. She reached the throne room shortly after, after rubbing the tears from her eyes, she entered the room.

“Ah, my favorite student. What brings you here on this most beautiful…” the Princess stopped herself as she realized what day it was. “I am terribly sorry. What is it you wish?” Twilight replied “I wish to see him one last time, before I say my final good-bye to him.” The Princess called for a pegasus guard to escort her to the memorial.

She grumbled slightly at having to be escorted. “Why did the princess give me an escort? She’s never done that before.” The guard replied “I’ve actually been looking for an excuse to visit him myself.” Twilight looked at the guard, “Why are you visiting him?” the guard replied, “You’ll find out when we get there.” Twilight was slightly annoyed at the purposefully vague response.

They reached the location after a bit of walking. Dashing still encased in his crystal tomb. The tower would remain saturated in magic for the next three thousand years, because of the energy released in the collapse of the rift. Twilight started to approach, but hesitated, and then motioned for the guard to go first.

“Hey there, you remember me?” ‘no response’ “It’s me, Cloud Striker. We met exactly one year ago. I took you up to Princess Lunas study, and you gave me a piece of advice that changed my life.” He started to tear up a little. “After I got off duty that day, I went home and told my marefriend of you. She seemed skeptical at first, but she eventually came ‘round. After that day, we grew closer together. And then 4 months later I asked her to marry me. We got married a month after. Princess Cadence dropped by, citing that she likes to attend weddings. We got married under the blessing of the princess of love. Now, we are happily married and are expecting a foal. If it was a Colt I was going to name him ‘Cloudy Light’ or if it’s a filly I was going to name her ‘Lightly Cloudy’” He chuckled at his joke. “Anyway, it was an honor knowing you, and without you I never would’ve found out that she was my true love in life. Thank you, for everything.” He started tearing up again towards the end and was fully crying by the time he finished.

Twilight, hearing the guards “talk” with Dasing, She found herself a bit emotional. “He’s done so much just by talking.” The guard walked away from the crystal, leaving Twilight by herself with the crystal. She spoke, “Hi Dashing, if you were alive, you really wouldn’t be in this situation.” She scolded herself for very poor word choice. “I came to tell you that I still love you, even after this long. But I need to move on with my life.” She sighed and felt a spark dancing on the tip of her horn, she brushed it away “I came to say good-bye. So good-bye Dashing, for the last time.” She looked up at the crystal and noticed something strange. She struggled to think about what had changed. “AHA, there, that’s what’s different. His Eyes are open, they were closed before.” She freaked out as she realized what she had said. Twilight shook her head, “It can’t be. Can it?” She got closer to the surface of the crystal, bringing her eyes to more closely look at Dashings supposed corpse. Then she jumped back in fear and shock, and the body encased in the crystal winked at her. Cloud came running up after hearing her scream, he saw in her shock; muttering the same words over and over again. “He’s still alive.”

Author's Note:

these last few chapter were pretty much forced, so quality suffered.