• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 1,991 Views, 49 Comments

Life and Death - Timstro59



After a strange day at work, a brony finds himself in Equestria. He has to find out who brought him here and for what reason.

  • ...
14
 49
 1,991

Chapter 9

The three figures stood in the room; they had the general body shape of ponies but looked more like changelings. These things were not quite as nice though. One of them took notice of Tim…..Ok that’s it. I’m going to stop referring to Tim or Tina and start using the names they are actually using. One of them took notice of “Dashing”; another of them sized up Dashing and let out a rasping noise. He thought that it may have been along the lines of a chuckle or a laugh. He wouldn't have been too far from the truth. The third was moving around to another side, a move which Dashing knew was a flanking maneuver (pardon the poor choice of words). He began to mentally prepare to pull up a ward spell at the first sign of trouble. Not that he knew any actual combat spells or any defense spells, he would just be improvising and sometimes that’s the most effective route.

The odd creature that was making its way to the side of Dashing, suddenly pointed its horn at a pony in the group and fired a bolt of magic at her, hitting her in the ribs. She went down quickly, unconscious before she hit the ground, blood pooling beneath her from her chest wound. Dashing ran over to her to check on her. “Trixie!!!! Get this mare to the hospital” Trixie replied, “Consider it done.” She ran over to the injured mare, put her hoof on the shoulder of the unconscious mare and was about to blink to the hospital when a stallion ran over and asked “Take me with you; I can’t leave her like this.” Trixie replied, “Alright, grab my shoulder.” The stallion put a hoof on Trixies shoulder, and then she cast the flash transport spell, taking them directly to the hospital lobby.

Dashing, angry for what these creatures had done, shouted “Why did you do that?” The creature that had done the deed just let out a rasping noise, a chuckle. Dashing then heard a voice in his head “Because you are weak.” He shook his head to get the voice out. He then said, “You obviously aren't changelings, so what are you?” One of the creatures was charging a bolt of offensive magic, when Dashing unleashed a bolt of his own, patterned after the bolt the other had used, and unleashed it against the one charging its magic, throwing it across the room and making it hit a wall on the other side. It wasn’t going to be getting up again, ever. The one that had shot the pony was charging another bolt, this one was going for the group again. It fired, but it never found its target as it was stopped by an improvised wall of magic. Dashing pushed the wall of magic at the creature, hitting it and continuing to move forward taking the creature along with it, until it hit a wall, crushing the creature slightly. Dashing released the wall of magic and the creature slumped to the ground, never to rise again. The last creature had taken advantage of the distraction the others had made and had taken to the sky.

Dashing took off after it, and even though he hadn’t flown much until now, it came naturally to him. He followed the creature; it noticed him following and unleashed a few bolts of magic at him, weaker than the ones the others had used as it also had to concentrate on flying as well as fighting. Still, one managed to find a target, Rainbow Dashes house. It tore a sizable chunk out of her bedroom wall, leaving an orange Pegasus stallion with his jaw dropped as he was trying to quietly leave the room. Thankfully for him that Rainbow wouldn't wake for the end of the world and she remained asleep. He flew off, thankful for the giant hole. (Getting off topic here, another story for another time) Dashing let a few bolts of magic lose in the direction of the creature, but it simply dodged them with ease. He thought “This isn’t going to be easy.”

A stream of magical bolts seemed to flow from between these two beings locked in combat, Dashing using a combination of improvised shield spells and low level improvised combat spells including the one he had learned from the creatures, the creature using its higher maneuverability to avoid the magic missiles and the combat spell the others had used. They seemed to be at a stalemate when a bolt from the blue came up from the ground hitting the creature knocking it out, when Dashing looked down to see where it came from; he saw it had come from Trixie. (terrible joke) She caught it in her magic before it hit the ground.

Dashing flew low to the ground before landing, exhausted from the battle. Which he had just now noticed had been taking place for 3 hours. He walked over to Trixie, who was examining the creature. “How’s the mare doing?” Trixie looked up and said with a tear “She didn't make it.” Dashing recoiled at the news, and tried to remain calm, but failed. His legs buckled beneath him, he started to cry at the thought of somepony losing a loved one because of his careless ness. He felt a warm presence next to him, and he heard a voice say, “sshh, there’s nothing anypony could have done.” He said, “It’s my fault she died. I wasn't fast enough to block the spell.” The voice replied “There’s no way you could have known what that……thing was going to do. You don’t have to beat yourself up over it.”

Dashing looked over to see who was talking to him, and saw Trixie was next to him. She said “I sense a great deal troubling you, and more than about what happened tonight.” Dashing replied “Nothing I’d ever want to talk about or even think about, the memories hurt too much.” (obvious lie) Trixie seemed convinced about it. “Ok, we all have our secrets, but if you ever need somepony to talk to about anything with. Anypony in the town will be willing to listen.” Dashing seemed to feel better as he was able to get back onto his hooves, then he walked over to the unconscious creature. He began to put together a spell that would keep the creature unconscious until he chose to wake it up, He then cast it onto the creature, and said “Can you get this over to Twilights place? She’ll be able to figure out what this thing is.” Trixie then nodded and used the flash transport spell to take the creature to the library, where Twilight would study it.

He then headed back to where the party was, and started to ask the ponies to back away from the bodies of the creatures as they would be disposed shortly. He asked for the assistance of a mint green unicorn to help get rid of the corpses of the creatures. They lifted the two bodies with their magic and took them over to the library, where Twilight would figure out how they work. The two got back to the party, where the news of the mares death had just reached them, nopony was in the mood for partying after that. Not even Pinkie Pie wanted to party after hearing of the tragedy, She wandered around what was left of the crowd, an occasional tear dropping from her eyes. She was surprised to find herself in the warm embrace of another pony; she felt a smile back on her face as she returned the gesture. They released each other and she looked to see who had hugged her. It was Dashing, she asked “I heard one of your talents is making others smile.” He nodded. She continued smiling “I’ve got some competition for smiles don’t I.” He nodded again. She asked with a smirk “Are clouds white?” He nodded, she asked, still smirking “Is Rainbow Dash a Pegasus?” He nodded. Pinkie, stifling a chuckle, asked “Do you like Twilight Sparkle?” He nodded, and then realized he had been tricked. Pinkie Pie was hopping up and down with joy, “I KNEW IT!!!!”

Author's Note:

I'm not good with parties, whether its writing them or being in them.
Hopefully I'm getting better with my grammar skills.