• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 8,921 Views, 283 Comments

Learning ABCs - Aristocracy, Bureaucracy, Chaos - Isopod



Twilight is a Princess. Discord is... still Discord. Things happen. Oh my. (Happy 2020!)

  • ...
13
 283
 8,921

4) Wuthering Lows

The tea that had been poured into Twilight's gold-rimmed cup had gone cold several minutes ago. The carefully spread butter on her piece of toast probably wasn't as tasty now as when the bread was warm and the half eaten fried eggs lay on the plate forgotten. The young alicorn was staring off into space with such expertise Luna had to use her royally loud accent to bring Twilight back into the realms of normality from her daydreaming. Twilight jumped as the voice of the younger Princess echoed through the hall, making walls and the floor vibrate:

"Twilight Sparkle, do you not find your breakfast suitable to your taste?"

"Wha-," she mumbled before correcting herself, "I mean, no, thank you Princess Luna. Forgive me, I just dozed off for a moment there."

"A moment?" Celestia repeated, chuckling softly at first. "We've been trying to get you to talk with us for the last few minutes. Is something wrong?"

Recognizing the concern in Celestia's voice, Twilight rushed to answer. "Oh, no no no, please, don't concern yourself with me! I just, uh, um, I'm a bit nervous, yes, about the today's meeting - that's all." She mustered, not daring to even suggest something embarrassing yet lovely had happened not two hours ago. Celestia nodded, a familiar motherly smile adoring her face.

"It will be alright, my faithful student. Just follow our lead and listen to your head. It was hardly ever wrong."

"Oh, that is not true," Twilight smiled, slightly flattered. The Princesses got up, having fully finished their meal. When Twilight left her seat as well, they gave her a questionable look.

"Won't you..." Celestia drifted off, gesturing towards her unfinished breakfast. Twilight shook her head a tad bit too quickly.

"It's fine, I'm not hungry anymore!" She ensured them - truth to be told, she wasn't very hungry to begin with. There was an odd feeling inside of her - akin to fluttering bugs, frolicking around in stomach. Celestia gave a small, elegant shrug.

"Very well. Luna and I will now retreat to our chambers so we can prepare to receive our visitor. Please meet us at noon at the Western Tower."

"Understood." Twilight returned their bows clumsily. The Princesses gave her a kind smile before heading back to their rooms.

Once she was back in her own room, Twilight spent the recording five minutes pondering about what would the appropriate dress up be. She figured it wasn't a fancy event, so Rarity's newest creation wouldn't fit the occasion, but her eyes kept glancing at her new crown. Still uncomfortable with wearing one, she stood in front of the huge mirror that took much more space on the wall than she needed and put it on. It wasn't too much; despite still feeling quite weird wearing it, she figured it was more of a formal thing.

"I guess that'll do." She encouraged herself briefly, adjusting the crown. The mentioned crown suddenly shrank and wrapped around her horn, complimenting it perfectly. She was ready to outright tell the Spirit to cut it out with the nonsense, when she took another look in the mirror and - tried not to giggle, failing to do so.

"Alright; that is actually kinda cute. But I doubt Princess Celestia will appreciate it."

"Ah, Celestia; if she were only a bit more fun like some other ponies I know." Discord appeared in the mentioned mirror smiling pleasantly, though his physical self was lacking.

"Are you suggesting I'm fun to have around? Because I'm pretty sure that would be a first."

"You ponies appreciate spoken words a little too much for my taste." The Spirit replied, teasingly adding: "I like to let my actions speak for myself."

The young Princess felt her cheeks becoming rosy.

"Sometimes I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing." She put her tongue out at him playfully and he returned with the same gesture.

"When is your fancy meeting coming up?" Discord inquired. Twilight looked at the clock.

"I have two hours to lose. In all honesty, I'm quite nervous. The Griffin ambassador is coming to visit, to check out the preparation for the Equestria Games. It is important, yet nothing vital for the survival of nations, you know." Twilight went on to explain. "Still, I have to make a good impression. I don't think anyone can take me seriously as a Princess as of yet. I'm not even sure if they should!"

"Well," Discord started expertly, "I didn't know Celestia's protege had so many doubts in her abilities!" The Discord in the mirror put a hand onto her shoulder and startled the living daylights out of her when he also appeared next to her. "Surely you can't do anything that wrong."

"It is not that fact I might do something wrong that concerns me as much as the fact I don't know what is right to do to begin with." Twilight regretfully informed. "I'm no Princess, I'm a librarian. Sometimes a very messy and, well, dorky one, as some ponies delightfully put it." She added bitterly. "How is that any material for a Princess?"

Discord floated around her. "Look on the bright side - at least you'll be the funny one."

"The funny one?" Twilight repeated, initially confused. Discord in his playful ignorance didn't notice nor realize she wanted to come off as anything but funny.

"Well yes! Celly is the serious one, Lunny is the quiet one, and then there's you, Twilight Sparkle, the comical relief of the Canterlot Castle!" He gave her a confused look. "Unless, of course, you don't want to be the funny one."

"Of course I don't!" Twilight stated, her voice growing grave.

"... in that case, I think you might have a bit of a problem."

Twilight was simply petrified at this point, stricken with horror. "You think I'm the one that inadvertently makes everypony laugh at me?!"

Discord looked at her with a mixture of insecurity and amusement. "Yes?"

The poor mare lost it.

"Oh goodness! I can't go! I can't! I'll simply stay in bed and just pretend I'm sick." She swiftly took the tiny crown off, upon which it regained its original size and hopped into her bed, practicing her cough. Discord found it endlessly entertaining, failing to realize she was quite serious in her intentions.

There was a knock on the door and as swiftly as she got into it, Twilight jumped out of the bed so she could push the Spirit in her closet in the matter of moment, quietly hissing 'stay here' before heading towards the door. The last thing she needed was a royal scandal.

She opened the door wide and was pleasantly surprised to see the guard with whom she had dinner yesterday.

"Your highness." He greeted, bowing slightly. Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Morning, Flash Sentry. Nopony's here, you know. You don't have to do that."

"You can never be too safe about that. If my superior saw me not bowing to the newly crowned Princess, he'd be sure to--"

"What, you mean my brother?" Twilight snickered. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Oh! Right. Forgive me, it slipped my mind." Flash apologized with a cute grin. "But, onto the actual business - I was just sent here to report to you. I'm not sure if you already know, but each morning after breakfast, a guard must report to the Princess they're in charge of watching over on any given day."

"Ah, right, I nearly forgot about that. Thank you for reminding me." She nodded. Flash Sentry must've noticed some of the remaining worry on her face, because he proceeded to ask: "Sorry if you find my question too intruding but, is something wrong?"

"Oh... I... I think I'm coming down with something!" Twilight tried. "Perhaps I won't be able to be a part of the meeting with the ambassadors. Shame, huh? You came just at the right time! You can tell everypony that I couldn't make it!" But it seemed like Flash could read character very well - either that, or she was simply so worried it showed easily, but he responded with a snort.

"Princess, forgive me for saying so, but you're obviously making it up."

Twilight stared, paused in her ramblings, before finally nodding, admitting defeat. She had temporarily forgotten there was a certain draconequus waiting for her in the closet - and unbeknownst to her, he was getting slightly agitated.

"I just don't know what to do, to be honest. In comparison to Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, I look like a filly! Worse, like a clown! I don't want anypony to mock me if I do something wrong."

"Well, you are a beginner, so why do you worry so much?"

"What do you mean?" Twilight got even more confused as Flash tried to explain.

"You know well just how much you know or don't know of being a Princess. Instead of trying to meet everypony's expectations, you should just be yourself and do what you can."

Twilight blinked. "... you make it sound so simple, but trust me, it really isn't."

"It really is." Flash protested, putting a sympathetic hoof on her shoulder. "You just gotta relax, is all." There was an encouraging smile on his face and Twilight felt a bit of her panic disappearing as she smiled back, pleased with the development of the situation.

"Ow!" Flash suddenly retreated his hoof. There was nothing on it, but he tested the hoof on the floor carefully. "Strange. It was as if a short cramp suddenly spread through my hoof."

Twilight did her best to control herself and not shoot the closet behind her a poisonous look.

"Well, that'd be it, Princess. Don't forget, just relax and be your charming self." Before he could suffer any further painful spells, he trotted out of the room, Twilight swiftly closing the door behind him before addressing the closet.

"I can't believe you. He was just being helpful, unlike somepony I know." She scolded as she opened the closet, only to, surprise, surprise, find it empty. It didn't stop the disembodied Spirit from talking to her though.

"He was being annoying." He flatly said, his voice coming from an undetermined source. "Aren't you lucky I made some time for the two of us? If anything, you should thank me."

"Why, thank you for stopping me from socializing." Twilight spoke into the air. "At this rate, you'll be stopping my own friends from hugging me."

Discord suddenly popped next to her, dressed like a detective and going through a fake criminal record of Pinkie Pie. "Well, should they give me any good reason to--"

"Funny." She cut off with bitter sarcasm, but noticed by his mischievous smile he was merely teasing her. "Stop trying to get away from the subject, Discord. I don't want you to treat anypony that way, especially not the only friendly pony that is thankfully not addressing me by my full title."

"What's wrong with Her Majesty Princess Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight groaned in frustration - she felt the Spirit putting a paw on her back and expected to see one of his trademark mocking grins - so it caught her by surprise that he looked kinda... charmed? "What?" She deadpanned, expecting mockery yet again. Instead, he flicked her nose.

"You're so cute when you're grumpy." He replied with the baby talk, making the alicorn flush, just as he wanted her to.

"You're not being very helpful." The Princess noticed.

"That may be so, but I can't say I'm trying too hard. You, on the other hand, have seemed to set your hoof on seducing me."

"What the hay are you talking about?!"

"Oooh, that is just too adorable!" Discord reacted to her angry face, which only made her frown even more, by swirling through the air. "If you keep that up, why, I'll have to-" Before he could even finish the sentence, the young Princess promptly teleported herself.

"... oh, so we're playing a new game! So be it." Discord grinned happily before clicking himself away as well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Twilight spent the rest of the morning trying her hardest to avoid the Spirit. While she could hardly dislike his company, right now he was making her feel more nervous than ever, with his stupid advances and his stupid comment on how laughable she would be in comparison with the other two Princesses. Knowing him, he probably didn't have any genuinely bad intentions, but seemed to fail to understand how his words affected other ponies sometimes. She ought to lecture him about that soon.

The library seemed like a good place to stay secluded in the beginning, but once she opened the first book that seemed interesting and noticed the letters dancing around each page of every book, she knew the Spirit had predicted her arrival here and promptly put a spell on the the entire library. Grudgingly, she went back to her room to get the only book she ever deemed boring - the one on politics. She spent the rest of her available time trying to get through the five most boring pages in the history of publishing. Failing to do so, she finally went to meet the Princesses at the Western Tower.The Spirit apparently failed to realize she went back to her room, because he didn't appear anymore. For now, anyway.

The Princesses were already there by the time Twilight came to meet them. All three of them waited patiently before the clock hit noon, at which point they could see a shape in the sky. As it grew bigger, they could make out three griffins flying in a formation around the one they could only assume was the griffin ambassador.

Upon their landing, both sides got closer and took a deep bow, an opportunity Twilight took to check the griffins out better. The ones who seemed to be bodyguards wore decorated chest plates and light helmets, slightly similar to the guards of Canterlot in design, but of brown material that seemed more natural and flexible. The griffin ambassador, whose name Twilight recalled as Asil, wore a ceremonial looking chest plate made of solid steel, an image of a fortress skillfully engraved into it. He had a sharp look in his fiery eyes like most griffins did, but it was accompanied with a stern merciless stare that wasn't easy to look back into.

Celestia had swiftly taken over the conversation, welcoming the guests and expressing her gratitude and happiness about their safe arrival; few lines of formal dialogue were exchanged as Twilight presented herself for the first time. Asil didn't seem impressed at all with the nervous looking young mare as he stared down at her, but didn't seem to be otherwise preoccupied with the young princess or her position.

As per the arrangement, they went straight to business afterwards - usually, with equine visitors, a lunch and a rest would be in order first; but, as Twilight recalled, griffins had a different custom where celebrations and food came in the end, as a sign of a done business deal and the beginning of trust and friendship.

It was at the time Twilight recalled that little fact, that she sincerely regretted not eating her entire breakfast this morning. Celestia and Luna led Asil through the carefully laid out plan for the game once back in the castle, pointing out the preparations they have made for the event, the accommodation and the celebration afterwards and answering his questions readily, with Twilight occasionally intervening when asked for an advice or a reminder, which she luckily had no trouble giving - but as the time ticked off, with the business not being nearly done, she could feel her stomach hurt and realized, quite soon after, that it would start making embarrassing noises that would be heard easily in the area that, other from gentle and soft tones of Princesses and an occasional scoff of a griffin, was as silent as a grave.

With half of her mind still on the conversation, she rapidly started playing off all possible scenarios in her head, and realized there was not one where she wouldn't either embarrass herself or the entire country of Equestria.

And then, just as she thought it couldn't be worse, our of a corner of her eyes, she noticed a peculiar stained glass window right over the shoulder of the ambassador and did her best not to face-hoof right there and then. Discord, clear as the day, was there in the window, much like when she first met him, waving right at her with his momentarily pointy, glass fingers.

Twilight was the only one who could directly see him - Celestia had been sitting on griffin's left, with Luna resting on a spot next to her and finally with Twilight forming the circle. She stared at the Spirit with obvious terror in her purple eyes and once she made sure nopony was looking at her, shook her head as subtly as she could. Discord made an 'oh?' face, and then did exactly what she asked him not to - exited the window and flew inside.

Nopony noticed him as he flew above their heads. Twilight kept her head down, subtly removing the drop of sweat on her temple. If Discord so much as dared trying to make a fool out of her, he would pay dearly. Discord didn't seem to do anything, though. For all she knew, having not looked up so she wouldn't raise suspicion, he might've disappeared by then.

Oh, if only.

Twilight suddenly felt something on her tongue - it was round, hard and... sweet? Her eyes crossed over to her nose and she realized there was a lollipop in her mouth. Just like that. Before she could even do anything about it, Luna's eyes crossed over to her and she paused, the question she was about to ask dying on her lips along with her voice. Celestia and Asil looked up at that moment too. Celestia, as always, held a perfect poker face up, while the griffin looked all sorts of confused.

There was never a silence as deafening as the one in the Canterlot castle that afternoon.

Twilight decided to pretend she was stupid, as she couldn't come across as especially bright at this point, so she looked at both Princesses and the ambassador questionably. When that didn't seem to work, she as elegantly as possible removed the lollipop from her mouth - it was huge, pink, and for some reason had a big letter 'S' on it - and used her magic to banish it whatever level of Tartarus it could reach.

"Pardon." She said, trying her damnest to keep a pleasant smile on her face. "My sugar level was running low. Wouldn't want any incidents, now would we?" She let out a breathy chuckle, at the same time trying to figure out what kind of an apology could she muster up for this one. But her chuckle, surprisingly, was followed by the giggles of both Princesses and in the end, even the griffin had to smile.

"Indeed we wouldn't." Celestia nodded with a most patient smile in the world that Twilight couldn't appreciate more. "Now please, Luna, continue."

"Right. I was going to ask Princess Twilight what does she think of the costs. We seem to plan on spending a greater deal than usual on decor and celebratory supplies alone and since it was in the official agreement that we as hosts are taking over one hundred percent of the expenses, we aren't quite sure if it is a rational economical decision. The last year has been quite hectic, with the royal wedding, the security measures taken and the damage we had to recover from."

"Well Princeth Luna, given the thituation--" Twilight paused as she inadvertently lisped. It didn't take her longer than a second to realize Discord has his damn magic in it again. Celestia tried her best not to smile, while Luna wore a masterful poker face.

It's OK, she told herself, just avoid the letter S. At least the bookworm knew enough words to play this game.

"Pardon." She coughed. "Given the health of our economy, I think we're perfectly vindicated and likelihood of failing into a debt ith fleeting. I have looked into the prediction for the current quarter and I have no doubt that we'll manage to triumph, particularly by virtue of marketing Ponyville apple brand and cherry brand of Dodge Junction."

The griffin stared at her for several long moments in which Twilight realized she probably lost him at a few places. Luckily, Celestia was there to make things clear with her calm confirmation:

"So the apple products of the Apple family in Ponyville added a bit of a boost to our economy? Who knew a small business could do so well." She gave a well-meaning chuckle that everyone promptly followed. Twilight was getting nervous by a second. She wouldn't be able to put up with this for too long, especially not with a lisp and certainly not if her stomach started growling and gave her away.

"I think we are nearing the end." Celestia then announced, much to Twilight's relief. "The only thing left to do is to make sure we've taken the right precaution measur--"

Twilight hiccuped.

It wasn't even quiet.

She flushed to the very roots of her mane.

"Pardon. I theem to have the--" she hiccuped again, and tried to smile, although she was quite furious on the inside, "--the hiccupth."

"That is quite alright, Princess Twilight." Asil suddenly took over, much to surprise of all three alicorns. "Why don't you head to the kitchen and drink some water, hmm? We're quite nearly done, anyway. Join us again for lunch, we simply must celebrate this occasion."

Twilight didn't know what to make out of his tone. Celestia gave her a subtle nod though, and the young princess took the hint - as subtle as it was, it hit against her heart like a sledgehammer.

"Right. I'll thee you at lunchtime then." She bowed as per usual, and it was in that moment that her stomach finally growled hungrily. She didn't even take the time to look terrified or apologize, but did her best to leave the room as quickly as possible without making it look like she was in the hurry. She went straight for the kitchen, boiling as much as the pots in it.

It was the first time at that point that she heard Discord's laughter, echoing through the halls of the castle and that she didn't smile herself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The lunch went by awkwardly fine. The griffin ambassador, as pompous and stern as he may have seemed before, was quite relaxed at lunch and didn't seem to hold the unusual behavior of the young princess against her. They have led quite an interesting conversation about the griffin folk and Twilight found it delightfully weird; that is, how fine everything seemed in the end.

At about five in the afternoon, the griffins have bid the Princesses farewell and flew off into the bright blue sky from the balcony, promising to celebrate their friendship again when they meet next. Once they left, Celestia finally turned to her student, an amused smile dancing on her lips.

"My dearest student, I couldn't help but notice your atypical behavior today."

"Princess Celestia, I'm really--"

"It was most entertaining, I must admit."

"Entertaining?" The word stung at her. "But I don't want to be entertaining!"

"Oh?" Celestia blinked, smiling a bit teasingly. "I think it is quite a commendable personality trait."

"That's not it, Princess, I--! I just want to be taken seriously! I wouldn't want to think anyone I am some sort of... some sort of joke." Twilight finished solemnly. Celestia's wings wrapped around her in a hug.

"Twilight Sparkle, trust me; I would never, ever let your appearance in front of other ponies come across as a mocking material. You were brilliant today."

"But-- but the whole ordeal with the--"

"Do you think I didn't notice Discord appearing in the room with us?" Celestia knowingly rose an eyebrow, causing Twilight to fall silent, an astonished expression on her face. "I've known everything from the beginning and so did Luna; we explained it to our new friend - who seems to have the most delightful sense of humor. Looks can be so deceiving." She snickered. "He commended your effective way to deal with the situation. If anything, you grew in his eyes."

"So... so everything is fine?" Twilight sheepishly asked.

"Everything is even better than fine." Celestia hugged her again, to reaffirm her statement. "You made me proud, my little pony. Go now; your chaotic friend is waiting for you in your room. Probably wants to laugh in your face, because these little games entertain him so. Don't give him the pleasure." She nuzzled Twilight once more before flying off the balcony, leaving the young alicorn to happily realize that today was a good day after all.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As Twilight got back into her room, she was showered with a rain of lollipops, confetti and hiccuping candy wrappers.

"There she is! The Princess of Fools, the one and only Griffon Jester, the Lollipop Looney!" He continued to grace her with various titles as he danced around her, messing up the entire room with his silly confetti and candy until pouring a whole bucket of it over her. Twilight sighed, but smiled in spite of it

"Are you done?" She asked through a laughter, confetti streaming down her.

"... I think so." Discord delightfully danced on her bed, making a living mess out of it as well.

"Well, I'm glad you had your fun." The Princess sincerely stated as she shook off the streamers out of her mane.

"... and?"

"And, nothing. I'm glad you had fun." Twilight repeated, her big eyes blinking at him happily. It was only then that the draconequus noticed the blissful expression on Twilight's face and he frowned.

"...You're not grumpy."

"No."

"...You were supposed to be grumpy." Discord clarified. "I like your grumpiness."

"I have no idea why do you like it and I'm not sorry to disappoint you." Twilight cut off almost too happily for his taste. Discord crossed his arms.

"Well this is anti climactic."

"Given the terrors I went through as I sat there, I think the end of my day went just perfect." Twilight admitted, then, gestured around the room. "Would you kindly clean this mess? I can't work or go to sleep like that."

Discord clicked the mess away absently, still into the conversation too much to give it extra care or attention: "The terrors? I haven't done anything that horrible to be called a terror. It was all in good fun!"

"It definitely was!" Twilight smiled. "You had fun doing it, and I am now having a blast because of the consequences. Maybe I should thank you. Still." She paused as she hopped onto the bed next to where draconequus had lied on his belly, the first volume of Daring Do books in her hoof; and then she added in a fake threatening voice. "Don't ever do it again or your flank is mine."

"Oh, Twilight." Discord did his best to pull of a face that was probably supposed to be... handsome, but merely turned out extremely funny. "You can have my flank anytime, darling." He said seductively and Twilight couldn't help but burst out in hysterics at his purposefully lame attempt at flirting, laughing so hard that the Spirit easily joined in.

"Considering all the mean things you tend to do to me, you sure can be funny enough to make up for it. Well, sometimes." She finally concluded, wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes.

"Hey, I guess there is a reason you put up with me after all!" He replied through a happy grin. The two stared at each other for several moments too long and the awkwardness ensued - on Twilight's part at least, as she tried to delve into the book she brought, only for the Spirit to close the book just as she opened it.

"What is it?"

"I say. You have one handsome specimen of a draconequus right here next to you and you choose to cuddle with books instead of him?"

"... well, I am a certified bibliophile, as much as I don't like the word." Twilight cleverly avoided stuttering.

"When am I going to get treated like your books do? Why, I'm certain that at this point, your books know more about you than I do."

"Feeling jealous again, Discord?"

"...Touché, my darling."

The two chuckled again and Discord gave up from any further attempts at cuddling, instead satisfied with reading the book together, Twilight still carrying the excited shine in her eyes as she once again embarked on a journey with Daring Do - and, Discord had to admit, as much as he loved her grumpiness, there was something extra about that sparkle in her eye.

Author's Note:

Point out the mistakes please! There likely are some and I don't have the time for it. xD