• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 13,538 Views, 1,182 Comments

Swooping Pegasus - FenrisianBrony



Rainbow Dash. A Pegasus who disappeared for 2 years is back. And she's got a story to tell.

  • ...
50
 1,182
 13,538

Placation

Rainbow sped through the spires of the craftworld, banking inbetween the low level arches and looping around the overhanging walkways, drawing glances from many of the Eldar who were moving about the craftworld, although they were not all disapproving, and she got the distinctive feeling that the disapproving glares that were directed her way were more to do with her species than anything else.

Despite the situation, Rainbow found herself pushing the thoughts pervading her mind further from the front, delving further into the instincts of flying. Whenever she felt down, she could always rely on the simple act of flying to at least delay when she had to deal with the problem. True, this was not always a good thing, Rainbow shuddered as she remembered that particular weather incident, but in this case it was exactly what she needed.

Turning her attention earthwards, Rainbow caught sight of a large open space, filled with the forms of Eldar sitting around various carved effigies and tables, which with her own considerable eye-sight could make out were covered with various food stuffs. Making up her mind, Rainbow snapped her wings closed and angled her muzzle towards the piazza. Closing her eyes, she felt the familiar sensation of falling, gaining speed and losing altitude at increasing speeds.

Acting purely on instincts, she waited for what felt like an eternity, before flaring her wings suddenly, and feeling the massive strain placed upon them. Snapping her eyes open, she smiled as she saw exactly how well she had judged the distance, as a split second later she touched down, bending her legs sharply as she arrested the movement she had gained.

Stretching her legs out, she arched her back, hearing a satisfying series of pops, before looking around the courtyard. Her sudden entrance into the wide piazza had drawn the attention of many of the Eldar around her, especially a group of heavily armoured Eldar who a moment before had been laughing around one of the tables, yet were now observing her with curiosity.

Turning away from their gazes, Rainbow wandered over to where a mighty statue was standing. She found herself enthralled by its beauty, its elegant curves perfectly flowing into each other and forming an entrancing figure of an Eldar warrior, a shield grasped in one hand, while in the other was clasped a mighty spear, resting on a notch in the shield as the warrior crouched low behind it.

Rainbow found herself unable to tear her eyes away from it. Something about it simply forced her to continue to stare at it. Its grandeur and beauty, nothing she had ever seen in Equestria, or even in Gryphomry, had even come close to this level of craftponies ship.

“Au-henal.” Came a voice from behind Rainbow, causing her to while around to face the source of the voice.

Behind her stood one of the armour clad warriors she had seen before, and she momentarily balked at the sight of the Eldar before her. His armour was the deep colour of a midnight sky, comprised of the same interlocking plates of wraithbone as the armour the warriors of Hannibal had worn, but on a much heavier scale. What really drew her attention however, was the helmet that adorned the head of the Eldar. The helmet was fashioned to look like a skull, its pale bleached surface worn from what looked like battle wounds. Rainbow knew instantly that the Eldar infront of her was a seasoned veteran, one who had seen and suffered more than she could ever imagine.

“Pardon?” She asked, looking at the warrior with slight apprehension.

“The statue that you find yourself enthralled by. It is a visage of Au-henal, an honourable Autarch that once walked this craftworld.”

“Once?” Rainbow asked, hoping that she would not fall prey to some trap of Eldar society that she was unaware of.

“No more. He fell almost a century ago against the forces of the foul green skins.”

“I’m…sorry.”

“Do not be. He fell in the only way such a soul could, upon the field of battle, blood on his sword and a roar on his lips.” The Eldar said, and although the helmet obscured his face, Rainbow thought that he was smiling beneath it.

“Why are you telling me this?” Rainbow asked, calming herself slightly as she became more accustomed to the grim helmet that he wore.

“You are one of the warriors of Hannibal are you not? The xenos that fought beside those who survived?”

It came out as more of a statement, rather than a question.

“And if I was?” She asked wearily.

“Then I would extend an invitation to my table, along with that of my friend, to warriors who have suffered in the defence and loss of a home, even if it was a proxy of the one they may have called their own.”

“Rainbow Dash.” She said, smiling as she offered a hoof.

“Maura. Dark Reaper of the First Night Shrine.” The Eldar said, ignoring the proffered appendage, and instead gesturing towards the table with the other Eldar warriors on it.

Rainbow followed in meek silence, trotting over to the table where the curious group of Eldar were already watching her with baited amusement as the pair walked towards them.

“Compatriots.” Maura said as he stopped by the table. “This is one of the survivors of Hannibal, the anomaly in their ranks to be precise.”

Rainbow stood awkwardly as Maura pulled an elegant chair from beneath the table and sat down, before dragging another chair out and leaving it in front of Rainbow, who stared uncertainly at the chair.

“The xenos is afraid.” grinned one of the Eldar, this one wearing light blue armour adorned with a pair of wing like structures attached to his back.

“And why would she not? We are the right hand of the bloody handed god. The avatars of Khaine.” Grinned another warrior, one sporting green armour and cradling a helmet with hair like tube sprouting from it, along with a pair of tubes that Rainbow deduced were some sort of scanning device, or perhaps weapons of some descript.

“My friends, you have failed to follow common courtesies and provide introductions to my new drinking associate.” Maura said, clapping Rainbow on the back and forcing her down onto the chair.

“Drinking associate?” Rainbow asked, sounding slightly surprised.

“But of course. Any warrior who stood beside such heroes as Elarique and Talvan is worthy of respect. Spirit is stronger than blood in regards of battle.” Maura said, before gesturing to the other Eldar around the table.

“Very well.” Said the blue armour clad Eldar. “Tar’nek, Swooping Hawk of the Temple of the Floating Assault”

“Quek. Striking scorpion of the shadowed strike shrine.” Grunted the Eldar in green armour.

“Ionth. Warp Spider of the Deadly Web shrine.” Spoke the third Eldar, this one clad in an arachnoid style of armour with an overtly large back piece.

“Fu’rage.” Spoke the final Eldar, this one festooned in bright orange armour. “Fire dragon of the burning lance shrine.”

“All of us stand as brothers, both in arms and in clan name. You stand in the presence of the honour guard of Nar’bok, head of the Nar’bok wind rider clan.” Maura said, spreading his arms widely, sloshing some of the drink in his cup over the side.

“Rainbow Dash. Pegasus of Cloudsdale.” Rainbow said, warming to the Eldar now they had begun to warm to her. “What’s a wind rider clan though?”

“Ignorant xenos.” Smiled Fu’rage. “We are all members of a clan, in one way or another. Perhaps one day, if you prove yourself to the rest of the craftworld, you may be given the honour of joining one yourself.”

“You speak of days in the future like a bloated farseer.” Quek laughed, “We should turn our gazes towards the now.”

“That is dangerous thinking. You could risk the incitement of She Who Thirsts.” Cautioned Maura, before bursting into raucous laughter and grabbing another cup of liquid, thrusting it towards Rainbow, who took hold of it gingerly.

“Drink. To future victories.” Tar’nek said, raising his own cup.

“To the fallen.” Rainbow replied sullenly, raising the cup and taking a long draft from it.

Rainbow spluttered slightly as the burning liquid flowed down her neck, but didn’t stop, draining the glass and setting it down heavily on the table.

“You’ve got competition Ionth.” Maura laughed, before turning to Rainbow. “And you’re carrying a heavy weight around with you. Dwelling on the past incites ruin upon yourself. I would not see your soul forfeit, nor would I see you put Saim-Hann at risk.”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow asked, tensing up slightly at the statement.

“The fall of Hannibal. Your introduction to the blood of warfare, no? Do not bother to answer, I can see it in your eyes that what I say is true. You carry the losses you witnessed there in your heart, allowing them to shape your actions and control your thoughts. You must let it go if you are to move forward.”

“I can’t.” Rainbow said, turning her gaze away from Maura. “If I forget it then how will I remember their sacrifice? How will I not repeat the mistake I learnt from their? How?”

“We each have our own ways. None are more right or more wrong than another, yet we each must find our own way, you included. You must let your past refrain from controlling your future.”

“I can’t.” She growled.

“You must, or fall to ruin.” Ionth said solemnly, draining his own cup.

“I CAN’T” Rainbow screamed suddenly, and with a single almighty flap of her wings took to the air, buffeting those around her with the power of the downwards stroke.

Instantly, Tar’nek was on his feet, the mechanical wings flaring on his back, before he soared into the air, taking flight after Rainbow.

“We can’t do anything now, let us return to our drinks, and keep Tar’neks’ warm for him.” Ionth said, reaching for Tar’neks’ drink and draining it, before laughing and standing with the others.

***

Rainbow soared through the sky once again, banking sharply to avoid a large spire, before speeding off towards another part of the craftworld, eager to put distance between the aspect warriors and her.

“Going anywhere in particular?” Came a voice from behind Rainbow, causing her to turn in mid-air.

“Tar’nek? What are you doing?” She asked, turning back to concentrate on flying.

“The words my friends spoke are true.” The swooping hawk said impassively, flipping onto his back and keeping pace with Rainbow. “Your actions prove them so.”

“I’ll deal with this my own way!” Rainbow shouted, attempting to get away from the Eldar.

“Your way will bring nothing but ruin.” Tar’nek insisted.

“Then I’ll accept ruin.” Rainbow screamed, accelerating and drawing away from the warrior.

“And what of the rest of Saim-Hann?” Tar’nek said suddenly, overtaking Rainbow. “would you incite ruin for them as well? And what of the others who survived Hannibal? Their fates are now tied to that of Saim-Hann. Would you put them all at risk because of you?”

“Shut. Up.” She roared, swinging a clumsy hoof at Tar’nek.

“My words strike meaning then.” Tar’nek replied, weaving around the punch without so much as blinking.

“Leave. Me. Alone.” Rainbow screamed, swinging a hoof at Tar’nek with each passing word.

“No.” Tar’nek replied simply.

As Rainbow swung her hoof for a fifth time, Tar’nek expertly weaved around her in mid-air, coming up next to her back and wrapping his arms around her torso, clamping her wings to her side, while with his legs he restrained her now flailing hooves.

“Going down.” He muttered, as his own wings stopped vibrating and the pair plummeted towards the ground.

Rainbow screamed in rage as she desperately tried to get free of the Eldar, but Tar’nek held on tightly, refusing to give her a millimetre of movement even as the ground rushed up to meet them.

At the last moment, Tar’nek flared his wings, slowing the pair down, before he released Rainbow and allowed her to fall the last few meters to the ground.

Rainbow impacted with the floor hard, not managing to flare her own wings in time to stop her own descent. Groaning, she attempted to rise to her hooves, but felt a gentle force on her back.

“Listen to me Rainbow Dash.” Tar’nek said softly, flipping her onto her back so she was looking up at him. “I do not want to hurt you. Neither do the ruling council of Saim-Hann. They let you have almost free roam of the craftworld, something almost unheard of for xenos. Yet continue on this path, and they will see you from its boarders before you can threaten it more.”

Rainbow snarled for a moment, but then the fight went out of her eyes. Tar’nek saw this and removed his foot, offering down a hand instead.

“There now. Is this not better?” Tar’nek asked as Rainbow got to her hooves.

“How can I forget what I saw? What I felt upon Hannibal? This scar is proof of everything that I lost.” She sniffed, pointing at the ugly mass of scar tissue that cut the fur on her face into two masses.

“I cannot tell you how to get past what you have seen.” Tar’nek said, causing Rainbows gaze to lower further. “But I can take you to one who might.” He said, raising Rainbows chin to look at him.

“Who?” Rainbow asked, sounding hopeful.

“Kaliden. The Exarch of the Floating Assault shrine. My Exarch and teacher. My saviour when I walked a path similar to that you walk upon now.” Tar’nek answered, releasing Rainbows chin and flaring the wings on his back once more. “Are you coming?”

Tar’nek took to the sky, lazily flying away from Rainbow. For a split second, Rainbow paused to think about the offer, before flaring her own wings and following the swooping hawk across the craftworld.

Author's Note:

Back again. My proofreader hasn't been online for a while, so I thought I would upload the chapter anyway. Any mistakes, feel free to point them out. I'll re-upload it if and when my proofreader comes back.