• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 5,132 Views, 129 Comments

Starbloom Chronicles - L_Wolf



A new filly arrives in Ponyville, and Twilight seems to know her.

  • ...
2
 129
 5,132

Starbloom's Magic

Chapter 7

Starbloom got to her hooves slowly and looked around. Her mind was hazy and she wasn't to sure how she got out to the gem fields, or even why she was out here in the middle of the night. She turned around a few times before starting to walk back to the Library. "How am I gonna explain this to Twilight, she is gonna be so mad at me." She grumbled to herself as she walked towards the path that went back to Ponyville.

After a few minutes of walking she blinks and looks around finding herself back where she started from. Looking around more she wondered if she had gotten turned around in the dark. She looked over her should at where she swore she came from and yelped jumping back a bit. "What the..?" She asked herself finding she was in the gardens of Canterlot now.

"How did I get to the gardens in Canterlot?" she asked with a groan and looked around the gem fields gone now. "I must be dreaming, there is no other explanation." She told herself and scuffed a hoof against the ground. But something caught her eye and she looked up spotting something glowing up in one of the towers.

She starts to walk to the large doors leading into the tower and found it was already open enough for her to get inside. She knew it was a dream now, no guards and the door part of the way open. She made her way into the tower and looked around finding the door that lead up to the tower. She pushed the door going up open and looked up at the flight of stairs sighing.

"Of course, even in a dream I gotta climb stairs in towers." She said to herself shaking her head as she started to trot up the stairs wondering if she'll dream herself getting tired, but she didn't have to wait to long for an answer, roughly halfway up the stairs her legs started to get sore and she felt tired from the long climb.

Despite her legs starting to hurt and being tired she didn't give in and kept trudging along the long winding stairway leading up scolding the logical part of her mind for making a dream feel so real. The constant sweating didn't help either she hadn't remembered it being so hot up here. She paused every so often to wipe sweat away from her eyes.

As soon as she reached the top of stairway she flopped down and groaned loudly at the strain in her legs. Looking at her forelegs she blinks at the odd red stain on them tilting her head before crying sharply and holds her head. A sudden and sharp pain radiating from were her horn should be.

She fought back the pain in her head and struggled back to her hooves. Looking up she saw her friends standing at a door wearing crusader capes, but not the normal ones Sweetie Belle made. These were highly detailed and finally stitched like something Rarity would make. The red of the capes sparkled like fine ruby, the blue field like sapphire and the gold filly sparkled like pure gold with silver stitching.

Sweetie Belle making a motion for her to come before Scootaloo and Apple Bloom pulled the door open. She forced herself through the pain to walk a head to the room beyond the door. But the light coming from it hurt her eyes and made the headache worse. As she got closer she felt her back get a little heavy and looked back noticing she was wearing a crusader cape of her own.

The image of Sweetie Belle however kept motioning for her to keep going and enter the room in front of her. She didn't know why but she knew she had to enter that room, to find out what was making the glow and maybe even find some answers.

She passed into the room and found herself standing in the library back in Ponyville. She looked around slowly tilting her head. She saw Twilight sitting at her desk pouring over a book, a stack of books next to her. Spike was curled up on the floor sleeping quietly. She remembered Spike would do that during all night study sessions.

She saw her friends coming around her and stand with her as she felt something pull her to move again and she started to the basement of the library Sweetie Belle opening the door for her, and she moved inside. She looked back to the other three who had stayed put looking at her. She looked back towards them for a few moments before nodding her head slowly. "I understand, I have to go alone from here," she said to the image of her friends who nod back at her.

She turned and walked down the stairs into the basement hearing the door close behind her the room was light up but not from the lights. She knew the source of the glow was coming from inside the basement, she turned to face the middle of the basement seeing a shining orb of light hovering in the middle of the room.

She made her way closer to the orb which started to dim and slowly fade away showing a head-dress, it wasn't a crown or anything like that. It was a simple silver band with a strange violet colored crystal in the middle. She couldn't stop herself as her fore hooves moved to lift the band up and put it on, the crystal rested where her horn would have been.

As the band rested on her head she felt the pain in her head melt away and her strength return to her legs, she didn't feel tired anymore and she felt at ease, her stress melting away. She closed her eyes and smiled before opening her eyes again only to find herself standing in her room, looking at a mirror the band on her head the crystal glowed bright and for a moment she could have sworn she saw the outline of a horn coming from the crystal as the light faded away again.

Starbloom groaned softly as she got up slowly rubbing her head a bit looking around slowly. "Wow... that was some dream..." she said to herself noticing it was actually late for once. She slipped off the bed and made her way to the bathroom to wash off her face and brush her mane.

Checking her forehead, no blood or anything. She didn't think there would be but she had to check. Once she was cleaned up she brushed her mane and headed down stairs looking around quietly. It was still pretty quiet even for a library, she wondered if Twilight and Spike was still sleeping.

She made her way from the main hall to the kitchen to get herself something to eat and make a pot of tea. Now that she was a wake she started to wonder what the dream meant. The gem fields, Canterlot, the basement, that head band. As well as her friends wearing those fancy capes and guiding her along.

Once the tea was ready she made herself a cup and grabbed an apple before sitting down at the table sipping her drink. She knew the dream could have just been that, a dream. But she remembered it so clearly even now, normally if she remembered a dream it was important.

She took a bite of the apple as she thought on the dream, considering the different aspects of it and what they meant. She figured the gem fields was because she went their with her friends. Since she hung out with them was also probably the reason they had been in the dream. Them urging her to keep going she suspected was because they wanted to help her.

The rest she couldn't figure out though she rubbed her face with a hoof and signed to herself softly taking a sip of her tea. "Why was I in Canterlot and then the library basement?" She frowned asking herself taking another bite of apple. She thought about going to the basement to see what was down there right now.

"Would Twilight want me to go down there...?" She asked herself sipping her tea before deciding it would be fine. She got to her feet and made her way to the basement door and opened it looking inside. It was dark though, the lights out and no mysterious glows. She backed up a bit and closed the door before turning to go back to the kitchen.

She stops finally noticing Twilight and Spike at Twilight's desk. Both sound asleep she tilts her head shaking her it. It was uncanny they had been asleep the same way she saw them in her dream, Spike curled up near the desk. Twilight at her desk her head and fore hoove on the desk.

She moved over to the desk and carefully nudged Twilight with a fore hoof. "Twilight? Wake up Twilight." She said softly trying to wake her up. Twilight and Spike both stirred at the sound of Starbloom's voice. She takes a few steps back smiling. "Good morning, what are you doing sleeping down here?"

"Mmm.... Starbloom?" Twilight asked sitting up and looking around before getting to her hooves smiling at her "Looks like I fell asleep doing research," she said smiling at her then looks over at Spike who was moving to his feet and stretching. She wasn't sure when they had fallen asleep last night. "How did you sleep?" She asked looking back over at Starbloom.

Starbloom considered her answer for a few minutes before answering the question. "I slept alright, I must have been pretty tired." She smiled up at Twilight wondering if she should tell her about the dream or not. She didn't want to worry her about it though so she decided to keep it to herself for now. "I made some tea, if you two want some." She said smiling up at Twilight then over at Spike.

"That sounds great, thank you Starbloom." Twilight said smiling as she started to walk to the kitchen with Spike following after her. Starbloom also walks with them to get some more tea. Twilight gets down a cup for herself and one for Spike filling them with tea sitting them on the table. She also gets herself and Spike a wheat muffin. "You want one Starbloom?" She asked looking over at Starbloom.

"No thank you I had an apple," Starbloom said smiling refilling her tea cup and settled at the table. She watched Spike and Twilight join her at the table. She smiled thinking for a few minutes before asking Twilight. "What were you two researching last night?"

Twilight sipped her tea and considered the best way to answer the question. She didn't want to scare Starbloom with the danger she was in from over using her magic like she did last night. "Just a better way for you to use your magic without making yourself real tired like last night." She said smiling as she nibbled on muffin. Spike for his part kept quiet letting the two talk as he enjoyed his breakfast.

Starbloom thought for a minute nodding to Twilight smiling, "What about a magic focusing headband?" She offered remembering the headband in her dream. She knew crystals could be used to harness and improve magic. She actually wondered why she didn't consider that when she was analyzing her dream.

Twilight paused as she though about the idea of using a headband taking a sip of her tea. "I think that might actually work. Would have to get Rarity's help designing it and making sure it fits," Twilight said as she smiled thinking over the idea in her head. "You can go to Rarity's and get her to make one while I research the best type of crystal. Just make sure she leaves the gem socket in the front empty."

Starbloom smiles at Twilight nodding before moving to get up. Spike also got up to clear the table for Starbloom. "I've got this, you better hurry." Spike said smiling at Starbloom, who nods at him and smiles back as she makes her way from the kitchen.

"Thank you Spike," she said going to the door and opens it up heading out of the library closing the door behind her and breathes in the morning air. It still had the smell of the rain from yesterday, but the skies were clear now. She made her way down the street heading to Carousel Boutique.

It was closer to noon when she got to Carousel Boutique, she opened the door and made her way inside, the shop was open by now so she didn't have to knock. She made her way inside and looks around finding Rarity working on one of her many designs. She didn't see Sweetie Belle so she figured she was with the rest of the crusaders.

After a few minutes Starbloom spoke up to get Rarity's attention. "Morning Rarity." She said a bit loudly to break through her concentration. Rarity stopped and looked around before seeing Starbloom standing nearby smiling up at her.

"Good Morning Starbloom darling, what can I do for you?" Rarity asked pleasantly though slightly annoyed at being interrupted. "Why aren't you off playing with your friends?"

"I overslept, so I wasn't awake when they came by this morning." She said sheepishly grinning before continuing. "The reason I'm here though, I need a head band made. Made out of silver with a gem socket here," she points at forehead where her horn use to be. "The socket needs to be empty though Twilight is gonna find the right crystal for it."

Rarity tilts her head a bit looking confused at the request but nods smiling. "Of course dear, I'm sure I can do that. I'm not a jeweler though, but I can make something for you." Rarity answered before looking through her supplies and finds some silver fabric she used for her dresses.

She measures Starbloom's head and cuts the fabric to proper size, leaving a spot in the forehead for a gem, she makes a simple silver headband for Starbloom. After she gets it finished she puts it on Starbloom to test the fit and making sure the gem would be in the proper place. "How does that feel darling?" Rarity asked looking her over and fusing with her hair lightly.

"That feels good, not to tight or anything." She smiles at Rarity as she answers shifting a little as she fuses with her hair. Once Rarity finishes she looks up at her. "How much do I owe you?" She asked smiling.

"On the house dear, sounds like this is something you need." Rarity said smiling back at her and nods. "If you need any adjustments just let me know. You are a growing filly after all."

"Thank you so much Rarity," Starbloom said smiling at her, "I'll let you know if I need any adjustments on the head band. I should hurry back to Twilight, again thank you." She smiles at her turning to make her way out of the shop.

"Your welcome darling, have a good day," Rarity said watching Starbloom as she starts to leave. She then turns back to the design she had worked with when Starbloom came in.

Starbloom smiled as she made her way back to the Library quickly so Twilight could fit the gem onto her headband if she had found the right one for it. She moved at a steady pace, not running but she was moving quicker then a simple trot. She wanted to hurry and get back excited at the thought of being able to use her magic again.

As she made her way through the town she almost collided headlong into Applejack who was selling apples at a stall in the market place. "Whoa there, careful now sugar-cube," Applejack said managing to move to avoid being run into and stopping her before she collided with the apple stand. "What's got ya'll worked up?" She asked once she got Starbloom settled.

"Sorry Applejack. I was just in a hurry to get back home," Starbloom said looking up at the hard-working orange pony in front of her. "How is business doing?" She asked wanting to be polite.

"It's great Starbloom, thanks fer askin." Applejack replied smiling at her before tilting her head noticing the headband, mistaking it for a bandage at first. "Ya hurt yer head?"

"Huh?" Starbloom asked confused then remembered the headband, "Oh no, it's a headband not a bandage." She said smiling at her moving her mane up out of the way so Applejack can get a better look at the silver headband.

"Ah, I see is that somethin Rarity put together for ya?" Applejack asked getting a small bag of apples from her cart and Starbloom. "Here ya go, for you, Twilight an Spike to share." Applejack said smiling.

"Yep Rarity made it for me," She said smiling before taking the bag in her forehooves smiling. "Thank you Applejack. I better get going now." She said picking up the bag in her muzzle and starts to make her way back home, at a slower pace this time.

"Yer welcome Starbloom, have a fine day" Applejack said smiling as she watched Starbloom walk down the street before turning back to tending to her apple stand.

Starbloom smiled around the bag in her muzzle as she made her way down the street and finally got back to the library, reaching up and opened the door before heading inside and turned to close the door behind her. She looked around not seeing Spike or Twilight.

She went into the kitchen and put the bag of apples on a counter before coming back to the main lobby of the library. "Spike? Twilight?" She called as she started to look around for the two. She first went up stairs to check the bedrooms before heading back down stairs to think.

Twilight and Spike came out of the basement a few minutes later, "Ah good your back." Twilight said smiling at Starbloom as she went over to where Starbloom was sitting. She had a small crystal floating in her magic.

Starbloom got up and smiled at Spike and Starbloom, "Really? That's great I got the headband," She said reaching up and pushing the headband off her head with hooves and showing it to Twilight who took it with her magic.

"This should work perfectly. Rarity did a good job for short notice." Twilight said as she looked the silver threaded fabric over. She then used her magic to fix the crystal into the gem slot Rarity had made for it. "That should work perfect." She said as she used her magic to put the headband back on Starbloom's head, positioning it so the crystal is over the gray spot on her forehead.

Starbloom smiled at her and watched as she looked the headband over before fixing the crystal into the gem slot. "Yea Rarity did a really good job with it." Starbloom said and looked up as Twilight slide the headband back on her head. She felt it move to have the gem in the right place.

Starbloom gave a shiver when she felt the gem press against the gray patch of fur and skin on her forehead once Twilight had gotten it into place. Not because the gem was cold, it was actually a bit warm, but do to a sudden surge of energy that went through her. "Oh... this feels kinda odd. I feel light-headed," Starbloom said as she sat down gave her head a bit of a shake.

"You want me to remove it Starbloom?" Twilight asked concerned as she sat across from her and watched the small lavender filly. She didn't know if this was how it was suppose to be, she hadn't found any records or books about this.

"No, I just need a minute." Starbloom said closing her eyes and took a few breaths to steady herself before she opened her eyes and stood back up. She concentrated and the gem glowed with a soft violet aura under her mane, her mane covered the gem so it wasn't easy to see. Turning she focused her magic more into the kitchen and floated the bag of apples out and over the them, a big smile on her face.

Spike jumped up and yelled "Alright you did it Starbloom! It worked Twilight!" He kept jumping up and down while her cheered for the two.

Twilight chuckled at Spike and smiled looking over at Starbloom. "That's great, I'm glad it worked, I was worried for a minute." She said as she watched Starbloom open the bag and takes out the apples with her magic and offered one to Spike and Twilight. "Thank you Starbloom." She said and took an apple in her own magic and took a bite from it.

Starbloom floated the last one back to herself and took a bit from it, she still had a big smile on her face. It had been so long since she had used magic she had forgotten how it felt. The magic flowed through her and out the gem easily as well, not like the burst of magic she used the night before that left her drained.