• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 5,132 Views, 129 Comments

Starbloom Chronicles - L_Wolf



A new filly arrives in Ponyville, and Twilight seems to know her.

  • ...
2
 129
 5,132

Adoption and Power

Chapter 4

It was another early morning for Starbloom, though not because of a bad dream this time. She just woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so she went through her morning routine of shower, hair brushing and teeth cleaning before going downstairs checking the time. “Still got about an hour before school starts,” she said to herself smiling to herself heading to the kitchen to get herself some breakfast.

Twilight comes down twenty minutes later having found Starbloom's bed empty. “Starbloom? Everything okay?” She asked looking around the main room of the library before going to the kitchen.

“Yea I'm alright Twilight I just woke up early is all,” she told Twilight who got herself a cup of tea and joined her at the table. “No bad dreams or anything.”

“That's good, I was a little worried about that,” Twilight said sipping her tea. “Don't forget, I'll come pick you up after school today so we can go to city hall.”

Starbloom smiles at Twilight, “I won’t forget, I'll also let Ms Cheerilee know you'll be coming to Family Appreciation Day.” Starbloom said getting from the table clearing her dishes from breakfast away and checking the time. “I better get going though, I don't want to be late again. Have a good day Twilight.”

“Alright Starbloom, I'll see you after school. Have a good day.” She follows her to the door and helps her with her saddle bags.

Just as Starbloom answers the door, Scootaloo was standing at the door, hoof coming down and bonking Starbloom on the forehead as she was just about to knock. A cute look of surprise on her face, “Oh uh um hi Starbloom, hi Twilight.” The little pegasus smiled doing her best to hold back a chuckle. “Sorry about that Starbloom.”

Twilight couldn't help but smile at the sight. “Good morning Scootaloo. Come to walk Starbloom to school?” Scootaloo nods at Twilight.

Starbloom blinks lightly moving Scootaloo's hoof off her head but smiles as well. “Morning Scootaloo.” After Scootaloo regained her composure and moved out of the library smiling Scootaloo turning to walk with her.

Twilight closed the door of the library and smiled, heading into the kitchen to finish her breakfast before getting her day started. She had a lot to do today and she wanted to get most of it done before going to pick up Starbloom after school. She also needed to figure out what she would say at Starbloom's school that wouldn't bore the fillies, she had to remind herself not everyone enjoyed books and studying as much as she did.

“Got anything planned for today Starbloom?” Scootaloo asked as the two fillies walked to the school-house across town.

“Actually yea, but I think I wanna wait to tell you want it is still lunch time so I can tell Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom as well,” Starbloom said smiling at Scootaloo really big.

Scootaloo looks over at Starbloom and tilts her head noticing the smile. “Really? Must be pretty good news with a smile that big. Does it have to do with Family Appreciation Day?” Scootaloo asked her friend.

“Yeah it does, but it's not about that. Twilight did say she'll come.” Starbloom said to Scootaloo still smiling happily.

“Really? That's great Starbloom.” Both turned looking at Sweetie Belle who caught up with them, Sweetie Belle was smiling. Apple Bloom was walking with Sweetie Belle, she also looked happy with the news. “Rarity is gonna come and speak on my day.”

“Applejack said she'll come to speak also.” Apple Bloom said smiling, before looking over to Scootaloo. “What bout you Scoots?”

Scootaloo was quiet for a few minutes and Starbloom had an uneasy feelling. Scootaloo finally spoke up though. “I asked but my family said they were busy.” Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle both seemed to buy that answer, but Starbloom wasn't convinced, the look in Scootaloo's eyes told her there was more to the story then that. She let it be for now though, she'd do some investigating later.

They reached the school shortly after and went inside. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo told Cheerilee who they were, and in Scootaloo's case weren't, bringing. “What about you Starbloom? Did Twilight say if she would be coming?” Cheerilee asked smiling down at her.

“Yes Ms. Cheerilee, Twilight said she'll come, I just have to let her know which day you want her to come. She'll be stopping by after school.” Starbloom told her teacher smiling.

“That's great Starbloom, thank you.” Cheerilee said with her cheerful smile. Starbloom smiled and went to take her seat, the rest of the students coming up Cheerilee letting them know who would be coming. Cheerilee also used the time to take attendance, so once everyone was seated she started class.

The school day passed quietly and soon it was lunch time. Starbloom, and her friends headed outside to the table they normally had lunch at. It was a routine Starbloom was getting comfortable in, at first she felt nervous about going back to school and making friends with school age ponies. Now she was feeling relaxed and enjoying herself with her new friends, she was even enjoying school.

“So what did you want to tell us, Starbloom?” Scootaloo asked bringing Starbloom out of her thoughts. “You said you had plans today, but wanted to wait ‘til now to tell us.”

Starbloom looks over at Scootaloo and smiles before looking at the others. “I wanted to tell you all. Last night after getting home from the party, Twilight asked me if I wanted to be adopted. Which is why she is coming to school, she's gonna take me to the city hall to make it official.”

Both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle squeal happily, and start to congratulate her. “That's great Starbloom, I'm so happy for you!” Sweetie Belle says a big grin on her face.

“Ya that's great Starbloom, congratulations.” Apple Bloom said quickly after Sweetie Belle finished talking.

Neither Apple Bloom nor Sweetie Belle caught the slightly sad look in Scootaloo's eyes, she was trying to hide it with a happy smile. “Congratulation's Starbloom, I'm sure Twilight will make a great mom.”

Starbloom smiled back at her friends, though the sad look in Scootaloo's eyes had concerned her. “Thank you everyone, I never expected her to make the offer when I came here from Canterlot.” She was also glad none of them asked her about her real parents, but she figured those questions would come later.

“Course you know this means I'll have to throw another party!” Pinkie suddenly said causing the four to jump almost out of their seats at the table.

“Gah! Pinkie don't do that!” Starbloom said panting trying to calm herself down. The other three doing the same. Starbloom looks over at Pinkie, “Where did you come from?”

“I was coming out of the school after delivering an apple muffin to Cheerilee. I overheard what you four had been talking about.” Pinkie said smiling at them bouncing in place.

The other four just blink at each other before looking back at Pinkie, “That sounds great Pinkie, but I think me and Twilight want to keep this quiet for now. At least until everything is official. Your promise to keep it quiet?”

Pinkie stops bouncing in place and nods. “Oh, of course Starbloom, I promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. But after everything is official, it's party time.” Pinkie said grinning before bouncing off back to Sugar Cube Corner.

“Are you sure you can trust her to keep it a secret Starbloom?” Scootaloo asked, both Apple Bloom and Starbloom nod at Scootaloo at the same time.

“Ya should know the value Pinkie puts on a Pinkie Pie Promise, Applejack found that out the hard way.” Apple Bloom said first nodding at her.

“Also, Twilight told me Pinkie is very big on keeping secrets,” she clears her throat. “Losing trust is the quickest way to lose a friend, forever.” Starbloom said in her best Pinkie Pie voice before following up in her normal voice. “That's what she told Twilight.”

“I remember that, Rarity told me about that when Fluttershy was a model and Rarity got jealous about it.” Sweetie Belle smiled nodding then looks over at Starbloom, “Twilight told you about that?”

Starbloom nods and did her best to keep calm, “Yea, she told me about it as we got to know each other. It was more from her perspective though of struggling to keep three secrets though.” She smiled, the other three nodding at her. Then the lunch bell rang, she was glad the focus shifted from her.

They got up and cleared the table, heading back to class and sit back down at their desks for the rest of the day’s lessons. She was glad her friends didn't ask too many questions when she slipped up. The rest of the school day went just as quietly as the morning did, as Cheerilee finished her lesson Twilight came into the school room, smiling and waiting.

“That's all for today class, I'll see you bright and early in two days. Enjoy your weekend.” Cheerilee smiled and the rest of the class started to gather up their belongings before leaving. Starbloom cleared her desk and got her saddle bags on before going to say goodbye to Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

“See you later,” Starbloom said smiling at her friends. “Maybe we can meet up later or tomorrow.”

“We'll see ya later Starbloom, if you can come by Sweet Apple Acres later today or tomorrow. We normally hang out at the clubhouse.” Apple Bloom said smiling the other two nodding and smiles before following Apple Bloom out of the school.

After her friends left, Starbloom headed over to join with Twilight and Cheerilee who had been talking over when the best day for Twilight to show up for Family Appreciation day would be. “The first day back from the weekend sounds good Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee nods and smiles at Twilight, “Alright I'll put your day for the first day of the week.” She smiles then looks to Starbloom, “Congratulations on your adoption Starbloom, I’m sure Twilight will be a wonderful mother. Have a good evening you two.”

Starbloom just blushed faintly and smiles, “Thank you Ms. Cheerilee. I know she will be, see you after the break.”

Twilight smiles at Cheerilee. “Thank you Cheerilee, have a good evening.”

Twilight and Starbloom leave the school building and start on the walk over to City Hall. “How was school today Starbloom?” Twilight asked as they walked. “Anything interesting happen?”

“Pinkie showed up, she wants to throw me an adoption party. I told her we wanted to keep it a secret until it was official though. She promised to keep it a secret.” Starbloom said smiling.

“Ah I see, that's good thinking. Did you tell your friends?” Twilight smiles looking over at Starbloom.

“Yea, that's how Pinkie found out, she overheard me telling them. Speaking of.... what do you know about Scootaloo's home situation?” Starbloom asked looking back up at Twilight.

Twilight paused blinking at the question before moving to walk with Starbloom again. “I honestly don't know that much about it, why do you ask? Do you think there might be a problem?” Twilight asked her voice laced with concern.

“Well, it's more of a gut feeling. She doesn't invite family to Family Appreciation Day, and when I told them about my adoption even though she was smiling I could tell she was sad. I know you're gonna say I should ask her about it, but I don't want to pry or jeopardize our friendship.” Starbloom said sighing softly looking at Twilight who just gave a small nod. It was what she had been about to say, but she knew Starbloom was also right in her concern. She had to remind herself Starbloom was a filly, and so were her friends.

“I can do some checking around for you Starbloom, without raising any unwanted attention if I can. I know she and Rainbow Dash are close, I'll start there.” Twilight said smiling at her.

“Thanks Twilight,” Starbloom said smiling back. They continued to City Hall and talked to Mayor Mare about adoption and filling out the paperwork. Starbloom lied about her parents dying in an accident and losing her papers, so she got new ones. She hated to lie but it was the only way to get everything done without causing issues. Once the paperwork had been filled out and finished, Starbloom and Twilight headed home to the library. The whole ordeal took longer than they expected so by the time they were finished, it had started to get dark out.

After reaching the library, Twilight got a frame and put the adoption certificate in it and found a place to hang it up on the wall. Starbloom put away her saddlebags and smiled ,looking at the certificate on the wall. She thought for a few minutes then looked up at Twilight with a silly grin on her face. “Do I have to call you mom now?” Starbloom asked wiggling her ears.

Twilight blinks at Starbloom then thought about it before smiling. “Only if you want to Starbloom,” Twilight answered, nodding to her moving to the kitchen to make a quick dinner for the two of them. Starbloom had followed her into the kitchen as well and sat at the table.

“Remember when you said to come to you if something odd happened?” Starbloom said while watching Twilight slice up some carrots in a julienne cut.

Twilight paused her preparations and nods looking over at Starbloom, “Yes, I remember... has something happened?” She asked a little uneasy with what the answer might be.

Starbloom noticed the look but gives her a slow nod. “Yea it's happened twice, with Diamond Tiara, whenever she starts to tease me or my friends I....” she stopped trying to think of the right word before continuing. “I just kind of stare at her, and she gets really uneasy and nervous, almost timid, and leaves. It's not the familiar feeling of a magic surge but I feel something happen.”

Twilight listens quietly as she finishes making dinner and serves a plate to Starbloom before joining her at the table. “How do you mean, stare at her?” Twilight asked her softly. “Could you demonstrate the stare?”

Starbloom thought about it, “I can try to. I never tried to make it happen,” Starbloom said before taking a deep breath and focused on a wall in front of her, there is a small ripple of energy in the air on the wall Starbloom was looking at, and for a moment, the wall seemed to look scorched and burnt as if it had been in a blast, then it faded away as Starbloom snapped out of it.

Twilight just stared at the spot on the wall for a few minute before looking over at Starbloom, “That.... was that your world, the place you’re from?” She asked watching the small filly quietly, Starbloom's eyes wide, at what she had seen, she looks at Twilight and nods at her.

“I think it was Twilight. The library in my world was devastated from the explosion in the lab. But how is it possible I made part of it visible here?” Starbloom couldn't make sense of what she had seen and done, her mind going a mile a minute as she thought about it before something clicked in her mind. She looking at Twilight. “Does that mean, when I did that to Diamond Tiara she saw my world? No... that can't be right because to her it would look normal... unless” She rubbed her head with her hooves frustrated.

Twilight shakes her head a bit and smiles, “Just relax Starbloom, we will figure this out together. Don't stress yourself out about it okay?”

Starbloom nods and smiles back still frustrated but Twilight was right, they would figure it out together. Both ate quietly and relaxed, Starbloom putting the questions she had into the back of her mind for now. As she ate, Starbloom's head started to droop forward a little as she got drowsy. Starbloom didn't know it but she still retained some level of magic to her, but without her horn she couldn't focus it, so using it made her sleepy.

“I think I'll go to bed now Twilight,” Starbloom said looking over at Twilight, picking up her plate and placing it on the counter. “Good night, mom.”

Twilight nods at Starbloom and smiles softly at being called mom. “Alright Starbloom, sleep well.” She never imagined how nice it would feel to be called that.

As Starbloom went up stairs to bed, Twilight cleared her own plate away as well and cleaned up the left overs for later. She headed into the library and started to search for books and reference guides about multiverse theories as well as anything she could find on what effect it would have both the worlds and anyone that might travel across those worlds. She settled in for a long night of research.