• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 5,129 Views, 129 Comments

Starbloom Chronicles - L_Wolf



A new filly arrives in Ponyville, and Twilight seems to know her.

  • ...
2
 129
 5,129

Scootaloo

Chapter 10

After leaving Rarity's house Starbloom started on her way back to the house when she saw Scootaloo walking down the road. She almost made her way over to say hi but decided now was a good time to get some answers about where her friend lived. The prospect of her not having a family still bothered her.

She followed Scootaloo quietly keeping a safe distance behind her so she wouldn't be noticed, but also not wanting to loose sight of her. She glanced around noticing the houses around them started to look less well maintained and more run down. Starbloom felt a hollowing feeling in her stomach starting to form, until she saw Scootaloo stop and look at one of the houses.

Scootaloo pushes pass a broken gate and makes her way up to the house rests her scooter against a pillar before going inside, her ears perking up as she listens carefully to the sounds coming inside. She could hear Scootaloo talking to somepony, the voice that replied was an older stallion.

Starbloom made her way out from behind the bush and closer to the house propping herself up on her front hooves to get a peek inside. She could see Scootaloo at a stove making dinner and the older stallion, a pegasus with a faded orange coat and light red mane. She noticed a cutie mark of a rain cloud on his flank when he turned around to leave Scootaloo in the kitchen.

She dropped down and moved around the house slowly, "So, she does have a home, and a dad. She whispered to herself quietly. Why would she not want to bring him to school?" She asked herself quietly as she props herself back up and looks in a window at the stallion in the living room.

The stallion was sitting on a couch drinking what looked like cider from a bottle and reading a paper. She glanced around the living room, she could see a picture of Scootaloo, the older male she figured was her father and a mare, from the picture the mare looked to be a pegasus as well. More of a pink in color, with a darker pink mane. Starbloom figured that was her mother.

"Starbloom! What are you doing here?!" she heard Scootaloo's voice and jumped falling over onto her back and looked up at Scootaloo, who was giving her a rather annoyed look. "You spying on me?" Scootaloo growled flicking her tail behind her.

"S.. Scootaloo.. I'm so sorry, I just... I just got worried when you didn't want to bring anyone to Family Appreciation Day... I jus..." she was about to say something else when she got cut off but the male voice of Scootaloo's dad.

"Scootaloo, who's your friend?" The older male asked poking his head out the window, Starbloom could hear a distinctive slur in his voice. "Is she gonna stay for dinner?"

Scootaloo groaned abit and looked at her dad, before looking over at Starbloom who was moving to get back to her hooves. "Dad, this is Starbloom, one of my friends from school. I guess she can stay for dinner if she wants to." Scootaloo said still sounding pretty annoyed as she made her way back around the house to head back inside.

Starbloom followed after her looking around quietly, despite the rundown neighborhood the place was in decent shape. She followed her into the house quietly into the kitchen, Starbloom looking over and noticed Scootaloo's dad had gone back to drinking and reading his paper.

Once inside the kitchen Scootaloo went back to fixing dinner and looked over at Starbloom, "So why are you here, why did you follow me?" Scootaloo asked, the annoyance still in her voice but not as sharp as it was earlier. "If it's about what happen at school with Silver Spoon, don't worry about it. Silver Spoon deserved it."

Starbloom looked around the kitchen before taking a seat sighing softly. "I do want to apologize for that, but I was worried.. about you since none of in the cutie mark crusaders have ever been to your home, or meet your parents." Starbloom said quietly watching Scootaloo, "I, noticed the hurt look when I told you Twilight adopted me and it got me wondering if you might be an orphan or homeless."

"Well, I'm not I have a home and a dad, we take care of each other...." Scootaloo said quietly fixing some bowls of the vegetable stew she had been working on.

Starbloom used her magic to take the bowls and place them on the table once Scootaloo had finished them. "I know your a tough filly Scootaloo, but if there is something wrong you can tell me, I want to help you if I can," Starbloom said getting to her hooves and heading over to the table.

Scootaloo watched the bowls float away as Starbloom took them and put them on the table. "Starbloom...." Scootaloo started then saw her dad coming into the kitchen for dinner. "It's fine dad just has a hard with work is all." She said smiling at her then looks over at her dad.

Starbloom nodded lightly tilting her head faintly as she listens and watched moving to take a seat after Scootaloo and her dad sat down. She used her magic to eat quietly watching the two to see how they interacted with each other.

Scootaloo was doing her best to keep her dad happy, getting him refills for his drink, bread, and anything else he asked for. Her dad for the most part seemed dismissive, barely offering a word of thanks to her. She watched everything as it played out in front of her quietly.

She caught a rather unstable glimpse in her dad's eye when she dropped a piece of bread on the floor and heard her apologize repeatedly as she cleaned it up. She knew that Scootaloo wouldn't be safe staying with her dad, if he wasn't abusive yet, he would become so soon.

Once dinner had finished, Starbloom helped Scootaloo clean up while her dad went back to the living room to drink and read his paper. She considered asking Scootaloo about dad and what happen with her mother but decided it would be best not to. "Thank you for dinner Scootaloo, I should be getting home soon." Starbloom said once everything had been put away and the dishes cleaned up. "I'll see you at school tomorrow." Starbloom smiled at her and made her way outside, she looked over at Scootaloo's dad and said good bye to him as well before making her way out of the house.

Once she was far enough away from the house she broke into a full gallop to get home quickly, she wanted to talk to Twilight about what she had learned about Scootaloo. By the time she reached the library she it was starting to get dark. She used her magic to open the door and went inside looking around. "Mom, I'm home, are you here?" She called looking around.

"I'm in the kitchen Starbloom, where have you been?" Twilight asked coming out of the kitchen with a cup of tea. "I was starting to get worried and was about to go looking for you." She scolded the young filly, but the look of concern in her eyes showed she was just worried.

"I'm sorry mom, I was on my way home from Rarity's house when I saw Scootaloo.... I followed her home and well... she does have a home and a dad, but I'm worried that he might not be the best person to take care of her." She told Twilight, both of them heading into the kitchen Starbloom getting herself a cup of tea.

"What makes you say that Starbloom? Did you see him hurt her or something?" Twilight asked her concern for Starbloom replaced with worry about Scootaloo.

"No, I didn't see him hurt her.. but he spends all his time drinking cider and reading a news paper. She spends her time at home making sure he's happy and nothing upset him..." Starbloom told Twilight before taking a sip of her tea before continuing, "She drop a piece of bread and she kept apologizing and I could see this look in his eye like any minute he was going to do something."

Twilight sat quietly as she listens to Starbloom speak about Scootaloo and her father. She remained quiet for a few minutes taking a sip of her tea. "I see, that is very troubling. I'm sure you've already come up with this solution but we need to get Scootaloo out of that house soon."

"Who could that be at this time of day?" Twilight said as she got up and went to the door, letting out a loud gasp as she opens the door. "Starbloom get the first aid kit, hurry!" Starbloom heard Twilight call to her.

Starbloom ran quickly to the bathroom upstairs and used her magic to pull out the first aid kit before making her way down stairs, she saw Twilight floating Scootaloo to a pile of cushions. "Scootaloo! What happen?" She quickly ran over passing the first aid kit to Twilight as she did so.

Scootaloo curled up on the cushion, and she looked roughed up. "He.. didn't like the stew." She said softly before flopping her head on the cushion groaning and holding her side. Starbloom put her hoof on her shoulder and tried to shush her and sooth her while Twilight carefully did her best to give her first aid.

Starbloom looked up at Twilight, and Twilight nodded softly before her horn took on a bright glow and she disappeared in a flash of light. Starbloom stayed with Scootaloo making sure she was comfortable. She used her magic to pull a blanket over her sighing softly. "I was hoping we had more time before something like this happen." She said softly to herself sitting on a cushion next to Scootaloo.

Starbloom got to her feet after about an hour to do some work around the library, she came over to check on Scootaloo from time to time but the little pegasus just slept quietly. She heard the door open and looked over seeing Twilight coming inside with Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash had both anger and concern in her eyes as she made her way over to Scootaloo to check on her. Starbloom moved off to talk to Twilight, looking up at her.

"Scootaloo's dad is going to institution for what happen, when I came to talk to him about what he did. He didn't even remember. I took him to a the doctors, he's suffering from a sever mental breakdown brought on from the death of his wife." Twilight told Starbloom quietly so not to disturb Scootaloo,

Starbloom frowned softly but nodded slowly looking back up towards Twilight, "What's going to happen to Scootaloo? I don't want her to have to move away to some orphanage or something." Starbloom said softly looking over at Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo tilting her head then looking back at Twilight.

"Rainbow Dash is going to take her in and keep an eye on her for now. I arranged it with the mayor so she can at least finish the school year here... but I'll be honest after that I don't know what is going to happen. She might have to go to Cloudsdale." Twilight said softly reaching over and hugging Starbloom softly rubbing her back.

"I understand, I hope she'll be able to stay in Ponyville though," Starbloom said sighing softly leaning against the rubbing on her back softly. "Either way I'm glad she'll be safe and wont be hurt again."

Scootaloo woke up quietly, all the talking even quietly causing her to stir. She sat up slowly and winced faintly looking around. She saw Starbloom and Twilight nearby before seeing Rainbow Dash nearby. She let out a quick gasp and jumped up before flinching and flopping back down onto her hind legs. "Ow.... Rainbow Dash? Why are you here?"

"Hey Kiddo, how you feeling?" Rainbow Dash asked, she was feeling a little awkward. "Twilight told me you got hurt, and you are my number one fan after all. I had to come and visit you after hearing that." She smiled at Scootaloo ruffling her hair carefully.

Scootaloo winched faintly at the ruffling but smiled at Rainbow Dash, "I'm a little sore, but I'll tough it out," Scootaloo said, trying her best to be brave and tough. "It's cool you came to visit me though."

Rainbow Dash smiled but sighed looking at Starbloom and Twilight before looking back at Scootaloo, "Look kiddo you don't gotta be tough with me, you are gonna be staying with me from now on after all." Rainbow Dash said with a wink at her. "Just like a little sister."

After first Scootaloo wasn't sure if she heard right looking over at Starbloom and Twilight, both smiling at her before looking at Rainbow Dash. "Are you serious? I'm going to live with you?" She asked Rainbow Dash who nodded at her in reply. "Yes!" She jumped into the air fluttering her wings rapidly before wincing at the strain and falling back down, Rainbow Dash catching her before she hit the ground. "Easy now kiddo, you need to recover. Come on I'll take you to your new home so you can rest." She told Scootaloo placing her on her back carefully. Looking over at Twilight "Thanks Twi, for coming to get me."

"Your welcome Rainbow Dash. I know you'll take good care of her." She told Rainbow Dash walking with her to the door, Starbloom followed as well. Twilight opened the door for Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. "Have a good night Rainbow Dash, if you need help just let me know." Twilight told Rainbow Dash noticing Scootaloo had fallen asleep on her back. "Careful flying home, she's fallen asleep"

"Good night Twilight, Starbloom. I'll make sure Scootaloo get's better." Rainbow Dash said smiling at them then looks over at Scootaloo who had fallen asleep on her back. "I'll be careful, and if I need help I'll be sure to ask." She added as she turned around and flapped her wings carefully taking off and flying back to her home, being sure to make sure Scootaloo didn't slip loose and fall.

Twilight and Starbloom went back inside and Twilight used her magic to close the door, both heading to the seating area and sat down. "Are you sure Rainbow Dash can handle this mom?" Starbloom asked looking over at Twilight. "She's loyal, I know that, but not always the most reliable and dependable."

Twilight smiled at Starbloom and nodded at her, "I'm sure she'll do fine Starbloom, if she needs help, we can give her the help she needs and she's doing a fine job with tank... besides people said the same thing about me raising you." She told Starbloom doing her best to reassure her.

Starboom sighed abit nodding slowly with a smile. "I guess your right, I'm sure Rainbow Dash can handle this. At least Scootaloo is out of that house and with someone that'll take care of her." Starbloom said yawning, it had been a long and stressful day. "I'm gonna go to bed, good night mom." Starbloom said heading to her room.

"Good night Starbloom, sleep well," Twilight said smiling up at her before moving to her hooves and starts to clean up the main hall of the library. She paused tilting her head then started to smile giggling softly. "I guess Starbloom is just gonna call me mom now," she said softly to herself.