• Published 11th Sep 2011
  • 2,211 Views, 16 Comments

CPS Chronicles: Nightmares and Wormholes - Largefish8



An entry for my Fanfiction.net based CPS chronicles...enjoy.

  • ...
7
 16
 2,211

Chapter 2

MLP Fic pt 2

Everfree forest was usually full of unusual sounds, usually emitted by the forests equally unusual inhabitants, ranging from the feral animals to the more hostile lifeforms like manticores, Hydra’s and cockatrices. However, a new noise was echoing out...construction.

...

Matt turned off the flare shield on his armors helmet to look at the laser weld before lowering it again. He had to be pretty careful and very precise. He'd have to start over with a whole new panel and- "Hi Matt!" said Pinkie's voice right behind him.


...

Anypony who would have been unnerved by the new noise would have been slightly re-assured by a more usual noise...a scream.

...

After Matt was sure his heart hadn’t exploded he said, panting "Pinkie...Why...you...do...this?" Pinkie smiled and said in her usual chirpy voice "Everypony likes surprises." "So, watcha doing?" asked Pinkie. Matt sighed and gestured to the new plating he was welding onto the side of the Skyraids tail. "More repairs...poor girl took a real beating this time round." he said, patting the side of the ship.

"It's a girl?" asked Pinkie, "Looks like a big flying can to me." Matt put a look of mock hurt on his face. "A flying can? This ships gotten me out of a good few jams since I got her." he said, tapping the side of the ship.

Just then, a panel he hadn't soldered back on properly slipped off and fell to the ground with a thud. Matt, to his credit didn’t let his expression change, saying stubbornly "Its meant to do that." "Lynch, quit letting the panels fall off," said Aria, "They're supposed to stay on." Matt's eye twitched again, his smile becoming a bit faint. "Shut up, Aria." he said in a desperately cheerful voice. Pinkie was laughing at the little squabble Matt was having with Aria before saying cheerfully "I wondered if you wanted to come and have that 'Welcome to Equestria' party yet."

"Pinkie, how many times do I have to tell you?" said Matt, "I'm trying to keep a low profile." Pinkie looked gloomy at that before perking up. "Okie dokie lokie. You won’t have to hide here forever. I'm sure everypony'll welcome you once they get to know you." she said in her usual cheerful tone. "Yeah, sure, and maybe I'll get a parade too," said Matt sarcastically.

Pinkie, who obviously had no trace of sarcasm in her soul, said "Oh, thats a great idea." Matt just stared before he said in a faint voice "How much coffee is needed for your personality?" "What's coffee?" asked Pinkie. Matt continued to stare before saying "Never mind." before he saw the sun starting to get low in the sky. "C'mon...I'll walk you back to the edge of the forest." he said. "Okie dokie lokie," said Pinkie Pie as she hopped towards the edge of the clearing.

Matt scrambled to pick up the rifle he kept near him in case anything turned up looking for a matt sandwich and ran after her, calling for her to wait up.

...

The duo walked along the overgrown path, Matt keeping the gun in a ready position and his goggles set to combat HUD. "So...you really think the town would give me a chance?" he commented absently after a while. "Oh sure," said Pinkie, "They gave Gilda a chance and she was a mean nasty grumpy-wumpy." Matt stared confused for a minute before reasoning dawned and he said "Oh, you mean she was a jerk."

"Well, some people may say 'jerk', but I haven't met anyone who I'd call a jerk," said Pinkie. "Thats...a good life policy." said Matt, with a grin before stopping as he heard a rustling from the long grass on the side of the path. Matt pointed his rifle in that direction. It may have been only a raccoon or a possum, but he wasn't taking chances.

"Oooh...what is it?" said Pinkie, leaning inexplicably over Matts shoulder and making him yelp in surprise. "DON’T DO THAT!" screamed Matt in a panic. The long grass started rustling even more, like something was rushing through them. Matt's HUD lit up with warnings as the built in tracker found things his eye couldn't see. "Pinkie, run." he yelled, firing as a shape jumped as his face, more rustling coming from around them, indicating more creatures.

Pinkie yelped and started galloping away. The party pony shot out of the treeline, nearly running into Applejack coming the other way. The sounds of Matts gunfire could be clearly heard in the background, strange high pitched shrieks also heard. "What in tarnation's goin' on in there?" asked Applejack.

"Its Matt. I went to invite him to one of my parties...but he didn’t want to...and he was walking me out...and suddenly there was rustling...and hissing and he told me to run...and I ran like he said...and back out the forest...and into you...and you asked me what was happening..." gibbered Pinkie Pie. "Well come on then," said Applejack, "I know how to handle a few snakes."

The duo ran back onto the path, the gunfire having stopped. However, when they arrived back at where Matt had last been, they found him laying face down on the floor, his weapon dropped. "Is he okay?" asked Pinkie. Applejack trotted up carefully to see what looked like a wet collar wrapped around Matt's neck. It was only when Applejack got closer and saw the 'collar' move that she realised it wasn’t a collar but some kind of long...slug thing. Several more, clearly ones Matt had shot were laying close by in pools of blue ichor.

"Ew, those are some nasty snakes," said Pinkie Pie, "We shouldn't let Fluttershy see them. She'll take it so hard." Applejack made to pull the one around Matts neck off and yelped as it made a gurgling hiss at her, tightening its grip. "I don't think they're snakes," said Applejack. Pinkie peered at it before making a face. "Ew...a mind leech. Those things are nasty." she said, sounding disgusted. As if on cue, the leech made a hissing noise.

"Nasty varmints," said Applejack, "My second cousin Apple Crisp was got by one and it left such a nasty mark." "I've never seen the ones that live in Everfree before...Poor Matty...least he'll get a good rest." said Pinkie. "I don't know, this one seems a big one," said Applejack.

A faint beeping was heard from the device Matt usually wore on his arm, a light also flashing urgently in tandem with the desperate beeping. "That looks important," said Applejack. The two ponies looked at the device to see a warning flashing, saying 'Danger...unidentified toxin detected...countermeasure failure.’ And a countdown of 12 hours had also appeared.

"Uh, maybe I should get Twilight," said Pinkie. "Good idea," said Applejack, "Ah’ll stay here to make sure nothing gets Matt."

...

The drones surrounding the ponies looked angry. Aria also sounded angry "Explain again why the captain is in a coma." she said in a deadly calm voice, her cameras turning to look at them. "He's got a mind leech on him," said Pinkie Pie. "A big one," said Applejack. "A mind leech?" said Aria sceptically. Twilight nodded "They're creatures that feed off the dreams of their victims. Matts trapped in a dream the leech made from his memories." she said, glumly. Aria said coldly "Then I will have the auto doctor slice it off.”

The ponies gasped before Twilight said, "Wait, you don't want to do that." Aria turned a camera to look at Twilight and she said in the same cold tone "Elaborate. According to scans...the neurotoxin it is using to immobilize the captain is neutralizing his nervous system...he is literally allergic to it. Give me a good reason to spare it."

"Because if you remove it, you'll kill Matt," said Twilight. Aria's camera whirred as she zoomed in on Twilights face. "Explain." she said. Twilight said "Everything I've read about the leeches says that only the leech or its victim can remove it. Ponies have tried before..." she said, adding the last part in a slightly sadder tone. "And how do you propose to make Matt remove the leech?" asked Aria.

Twilight sighed and said "There's a spell that can allow a pony to go into the dream...convince Matt to get out of the dream..." She was interrupted as Aria said pompously "There is no possible way to infiltrate dreams...not even the ancients managed it." "It's not that impossible," said Rarity, "There's a psychologist pony in Manehatten that specializes in that."

Aria said coldly "There is no logical way to infiltrate dreams...the best the ancients managed was the technology to view them." before adding "However...this is a strange world...and logic does not seem to work correct here. Proceed." "Ok, I think there should be a limit to how many of us go inside," said Twilight, "We don't want to overcrowd Matt's mind."

Aria seemed to agree, saying "Indeed...if it is anything like dream monitors...I would recommend only three...and one at a time. Any more would risk the mental equivilent of a computer crash." "I should probably stay here," said Fluttershy, "Matt will need plenty of comfort." Rarity nodded "I'll stay and help Fluttershy." she said. Pinkie pie opened her mouth to agree to go only for Aria to say "And Miss Pie can stay for morale." a little too quickly.

"Well, let's get in there already," said Applejack, "I ain't letting that spineless critter suck the life out of our friend." Twilight nodded and closed her eyes, concentrating as her horn started to glow. Applejack braced herself before a beam shot out and hit her...

...

...and the surroundings changed to what looked like an alley. "Huh, kinda looks like Manehatten," said Applejack. Applejack wandered out of the alley and was almost knocked over in the crush of bodies. The city itself looked like manehatten but that was where the similarities ended. Everywhere she looked, humans walked around. "So this is what Matt's home looks like?" asked Applejack, "Could use more open space."

Applejack noticed that nobody was giving her a second glance as they walked around. "Ok...now if ah was Matt...where would ah be?" she thought to herself as she trotted along before seeing a group walking along. "Now, if you look over to your left, you can see one of the more famous buildings on Wall Street," intoned the human in the lead with a very flat voice. Applejack was about to turn away when she heard a familier voice call out "Boring."

"Wait a sec, I know that tone," said Applejack before looking towards where the voice was coming from. Applejack turned in time for the lead human to yell "MR LYNCH...FOR THE LAST TIME, STOP DOING THAT!" "Yep, that's Matt alright," said Applejack. She walked towards the group in time for a person to detatch from the crowd, wearing a T shirt and jeans, wearing a baseball cap with 'NASA' on it and holding a device that he aimed at the angry tour guide and clicked it. "Hey...Lynch." called Applejack.

Matt turned and looked at Applejack. "Huh, what's with the orange horse with the cowboy hat and the apple brand?" he asked. "Who're you callin a horse?" said Applejack, annoyed, causing Matt to yelp. "GAH...ITS ALIVE." he screamed, causing a few humans to look at him in a weird way. "Course Ah'm alive, what do you think Ah am? A sculpture made of orange marmalade?" asked Applejack.

Matt stared at Applejack with such bugged out eyes that they looked in danger of popping out before he grabbed a passerby. “Do you see that?" he said manically, pointing at applejack. "What are you talking about?" asked one of the people in the group. "What are you talking about?" asked one of the people in the group.

"There...TALKING HORSE!" said Matt, pointing a shaking finger at applejack and screaming the last part before adding in a worrying voice "its wearing a hat." while grinning faintly. "First of all, I'm a pony, not a horse," said Applejack. "SEE? IT TALKS!" screamed Matt into the face of the bystander who said in a worried voice "Yes...all the ponies talk...I think you need to get out the sun." "And second off, are talkin' ponies really that strange?" asked Applejack. Matt said ion a gibbering voice to himself "Animals don;t talk....everyone knows that."

"Well, most animals don't, but... Oh, this is pointless," said Applejack, "Matt, we need to get you out of here." "I'm not going anywhere with an hallucination." said Matt, stubbornly before walking off. "For cryin' out loud, Matt, I'm real," called Applejack, "Everything else here is fake."

Matt turned to look at her. "Nothing here is real? Then I can do this." Applejack jumped back as Matt banged his head on a lamppost and went 'Ow'. He turned to look at her and said slurring his words. "See? It hurt...so it real...you no real...that how it works...not the other way round...goodbye." he said before staggering off.

"This is gonna be harder than I thought," said Applejack. "Harder then you think, pony." said a voice behind her. Applejack jumped and turned around. "Who's that?" she asked. "This humans mine." said the voice again. Applejack looked around to see the tour guide, staring at her with red eyes. "Ok, I'm pretty sure that ain't regular," said Applejack. The 'tour guide' smirked. "As I said...this...creature is mine...Get...OUT!" she said screaming the last part and causing Applejack to stagger back.

Suddenly, the 'city' seemed to ripple and sway. "I don't like where this is goin'," said Applejack. "Oh...you won't..." said the tour guide. Just then, the ground that Applejack was standing on seemed to melt. In fact, all the ground around a manhole was started to become swirling liquid and Applejack found herself before sucked down towards it.

...

Applejack woke with a shock to find herself on some kind of coverless bed in the ship. Aria had called it the 'medibay' and Matt was laid back comfortably on the next bed along. The others rushed over as she groaned, her head aching. "Applejack, darling. Are you ok?" said Rarity, concerned. "I'm fine, but this job's a lot harder than I thought," said Applejack.

Aria said from a speaker "What happened? What resistance did you meet?" "Well, Matt didn't seem to remember me. Then that one human flushed me out, literally," said Applejack. A camera turned to look at the leech wrapped around Matts neck. "Interesting...creating a complete illusion of a world...and blocking out any memories that would countermand it." she said before the viewer over Matts bed began to flash red and a beeping began. "Oh no..." said Aria. On cue, two of the small stickers on Matts shirt crackled with electricity.

"What's going on?" asked Fluttershy, concerned. "The toxin is effecting Mr Lynchs lungs...I am reprogramming his nanites to compensate." said Aria. "Ok, let me in next," said Rainbow Dash, "I'll kick that leech right out of there." Aria turned a camera to look at the cyan pegasus. "Be careful...the captain is the priority...once he is awake...we can deal with this...creature." she said.

Rainbow Dash said confidently "I'll get him out in 10 seconds flat." Aria said smugly "Good...I will be timing you." Rainbow Dash looked confused before Twilights spell hit her and she slumped down asleep.

Rarity levitated the sleeping pegasus onto the bed Applejack had been in before they heard a computerized sigh from Aria. "Aria, are you ok?" asked Twilight. "This entire predicament is the conclusion of a severe miscalculation on my part." said the AI, actually sounding sad. "What do you mean?" asked Fluttershy.

"Have you not wondered why we were hunted here? Why we were shot at? Why there are so many quarters on board and only one crew member?" said Aria, the camera's turning to look at each of the conscious ponies. "Uh, kinda," said Twilight, "But Matt's probably not anything like a space pirate, right?"

"No...he is a mercenary...a soldier for hire...his job is to do the missions too trivial for NSC security...and he is probably the best in the PMC he works for." said Aria. "My job however, was to work for Executive Genetics...my creators." The ponies just stared back blankly. Aria sighed and said, "Ok, where did I lose you at?"

Aria sighed after a minute and said "Never mind. Mr Lynch mentioned Executive Genetics. What he never mentioned is that over the past year, they have been involved in several scandals, many of which Mr Lynch became involved in.” "What kind of scandals?" asked Rarity. Aria paused and said, "Well, I doubt you'd be able to get a clear understanding in 10 minutes' time, but let's just say they nearly cause two worlds to end. Or at least be conquered by evil."

"The second incident resulted in a catastrophic containment breach at a colony called Sy-Yong. The entire colony was wiped out. According to Capt Lynchs file, his team were the primary recon team sent to investigate the comm blackout..." said Aria, a viewscreen activating to show a orange world, the words 'Sy-Yong-359: Quarantined' visible. "What does 'recon' mean?" asked Pinkie Pie.

"They were scouts...sent in to investigate why the colony went silent. There was no warning...and their weapons were woefully inadequate." said Aria. "I found out that the containment failure was caused by corners cut during construction by the company...as well as memos that showed that the events of the balwak incident were approved by the board. My problem however was sending this information to the correct authorities."

"Ok, now I'm really confused," said Applejack. "All I will say is that the company was responsible for countless deaths...just for money. I could not contact the authorities straight away...the corporation would delete me as soon as they detected the transmission. I formed a plan...I would impersonate a contractor and hire mercenaries to steal me and deliver me to the council." continued Aria. "So, you're saying that you want to expose these bad people and you tricked Matt into helping you?" asked Twilight, shocked.

"I did...the plan was perfect...as I was literally part of the building they needed to break into. I could give them perfect information, override security alarms, guide then past patrols...at first, it was a success. Capt Lynch and 7 other mercenaries infiltrated the facility successfully and removed me. Unfortunately, the E.G.C.C Icarus, a corporate security cruiser arrived as we departed." said Aria. "Is that who attacked you guys?" asked Pinkie.

"Yes...two crew member were killed as we attempted to escape. The ship successfully evaded the Icarus but was forced to go in for repairs at a mining colony. The crew presumed they were safe...they were wrong..." said Aria. "You're not saying that..." started Applejack. "Yes, they followed us and attacked the colony," said Aria.

The ponies looked horrified as Aria continued "The commander of the cruiser, Colonel Darius had orders to remove all witnesses and to make it look like a marauder attack. The crew attempted to aid the local militia...and failed. Capt Lynch barely escaped...in fact, I was forced to take over auto pilot to save him." "And that wild chase led you to our world?" asked Applejack.

"Yes...your wormhole was unmapped...otherwise the captain would have avoided involving your world." said Aria, sighing "And now he will die in an uncharted verse...and this is my fault....I have failed in my mission." "Hey, he's not going to die yet," said Twilight, "I'm sure Rainbow Dash will have him waking up soon." Aria focussed all her camera's on Twilight and said "I hope so..."

...

Rainbow Dash flew around the very tall buildings in the city. "Not bad," she said, "But I prefer more open space...somewhere where you didn't have to make so many turns." As she looked around she spotted Matt looking out from the top of one of the larger buildings. "Gotcha." said Rainbow Dash to herself, smugly before flying towards him.

...

Matt looked out at the view of the city. He'd had a rest and happily, the imaginary hat wearing pony had also vanished. "Pretty good view from up here," said Matt, "I can practically see the whole city." He stepped up to one of the binoculars and put a coin in to look out, scanning the skyline. "I can’t wait to tell Chloe back at the hotel about this...can’t believe she missed it...gnnnh." he said to himself, making the 'gnnh' noise as he spotted something...unusual heading towards him.

"Boy, they got big pigeons up here," said Matt in denial, "That one looks to be the size of a pony." The pony pigeon got closer until Matt peered over the top of the binoculars in terror and dived behind the safety fence. "Hey Matt," said Rainbow Dash, landing on the observation deck, "Neat city here." Matt whimpered "Oh no, another hallucination. You're not here...bugger off." he said, his eye twitching. "I am here," said Rainbow Dash, "Listen, this place isn't real. You're trapped in a dream." "Thats what the other one said." said Matt with a manic grin.

"Yeah, she was right," said Rainbow Dash, "There's a mind leech sucking the life out of you while you're snoozing. You gotta wake up before it does." "Yeah...this coming from the imaginary winged pony...PROVE YOU EXIST!" said Matt, snapping. Rainbow Dash thought for a moment before saying, "If I wasn’t real, I couldn't pick you up, could I?" Matt smirked and folded his arms. "Thats right so...nyeAAAAAAAAGH!" He said, screaming as Rainbow dash swooped round and grabbed him.

"Ah, now don't tell me you're afraid of heights," said Dash. "We’ve gotta be 100 floors up...I don’t wanna be pavement pizza." gibbered Matt. "Oh relax, I'm a pro at this," said Dash before flying off the observation deck. Matt settled for screaming his head off, his brain supplying graphic images of what hitting the pavement from ABOVE the top floor of the empire state building would look like.

Rainbow Dash's ears flattened as she said, "Do you mind? I have bigger ears than you, you know." "SMEG TO THAT...PUT ME DOWN OR I'LL STICK A ZX-94 RIFLE WHERE THE...what the hells a ZX-94?" said Matt, his voice starting to get the same twitchy quality from the last time. "Now there's the Matt I remember," said Rainbow Dash. "LET ME GO...NO...I DIDN’T MEAN THAT!" screamed Matt, panicking as he realised what he'd said at first.

"Relax, I don't just drop someone, particularly someone who obviously couldn't fly three feet," said Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash looked confused as Matt responded with a stream of angry but unknown words. "You really need to...cool off," said Rainbow Dash, letting go of Matt right as they were going over a lake in what looked like a park.

Matt screamed "REVENNNNGE!" until he vanished with a splash. Rainbow Dash chuckled to herself before hovering over the area where Matt had splashed down before spotting him wading up the nearby shore. "Must...find...something...to squish smug hallucination." he was muttering dully. Dash glided over before saying, "Aw, now don't tell me you don't enjoy a nice refreshing dip."

Matt turned to glare "Must...kill...smeghead." he said manically before trying to lunge at her, missing and hitting a tree with a crunch...before keeling over like one. "Ok, am I real enough for you to take seriously now?" asked Rainbow Dash. Matt groaned "I hate you in so many ways...ok...if this is true...then who's pulling the strings?" he said weakly.

"A mind leech," said Rainbow Dash, "It's keeping you here until it slowly kills you." "You do look familiar...can't place a name though." said Matt, pushing himself up to a sitting position. "It's Rainbow Dash, remember?" she said. "Name doesn’t ring a bell..." said Matt before staring in horror at the lake. "And neither does that." he added, in a terrified voice, pointing to where the water was fountaining up into a dragonic head shape.

"Uh, that's not normal, right?" asked Dash. "If you're asking if water on earth usually does that then No...its not...RUN AWAY!" said Matt before turning and running off at a speed that impressed Rainbow Dash. The water shape flowed back down into a humanoid shape that said "Another one? You are persistent."

"So you're the leech that's trying to suck Matt dry," said Rainbow Dash as she pawed the ground, "Well, I'm gonna spread you all over this city." "Such a smug little mind...shielding a fear of failure..." said the leech's avatar, peering at Rainbow Dash. "You cannot beat me here...and tearing me from the host in the weaker world would kill your friend...painfully." "We'll see about that," said Dash before charging at the leech.

The leeches shape collapsed into water before reforming behind the pegasus with a cruel sneer. "You're just going to tire yourself out, my dear." it said smugly. "Oh yeah?" said Rainbow Dash before looping around for another strike. The leech made a waving noise and the tree Dash was flying over suddenly animated to grab the pegasus. "Yeah." said the leech, imitating the pegasus’s voice mockingly.

"Ok, now that's just cheating," said Rainbow Dash as she struggled to get free. The tree lowered rainbow dash to eye level as the leechs avatar walked forward, one of its arms lengthening into a blade made from water. "Tell your fellows...this human is MINE...the next intruder will not leave." she said before thrusting with the blade.

...

Rainbow Dash woke up with a yelp. "Dirty, cheating leech," she said, annoyed. "Miss Dash. Please remain still...you are bleeding." said Aria. "I'm what?" asked Rainbow Dash, horrified. Fluttershy said horrified "You have a nosebleed...what happened in there?”

"I had Matt just grasping he was in a dream when that dumb leech grabbed me with a tree and then stabbed with a water blade," said Rainbow Dash. The other ponies all shouted "WHAT?"in horror. Aria simply said "Hmm...the leech is becoming aggressive in its defence. Fascinating. Did it say anything?" "Uh, the next one to come in would die," said Rainbow Dash.

Aria sighed "Then we must take it seriously...Mr Lynch would not want any of you risking deactivation on his behalf." she said. "But you said if we don't do something, Matt will die," said Rarity. "Mr Lynch is a professional...he knows the risks every time he takes a contract..." said Aria only for Rarity to say harshly "You said it was your fault he was even in this situation." "Well...yes," said Aria with hesitation.

"Then you owe him something." continued Rarity. Aria said "It does not matter...My scanners indicate Miss Twilights Magi reserves are low...she may not have the energy to teleport another inside." "Then...I'll just send myself," said Twilight. The others all turned. Applejack said concerned "Y'all heard Rainbow. That leech ain’t gonna let go without a fight and its turnin’ nasty."

"Matt doesn't have much time left," said Twilight, "It's Matt's mind. He would be more powerful than the leech if he just knew he was." Aria added "Miss Applejack is correct...Caution is advised. It is also likely that if Mr Lynch expires while you are inside his mind...you will too. If you are unable to convince him, you must leave at once." "This is our last chance," said Twilight, "I'm not giving up that easily."

The medical scanner beeped and a male voice said "Warning...neural failure imminent...30 minutes to complete neural collapse." Aria said "That is how much time remains...If I was human...I would wish you luck." Just then, Pinkie Pie went over to Twilight and said, "Wait, before you go, I have something to say." She whispered into Twilight's ear, only for Twilight to look confused. "Why would I do that?" she asked. Pinkie shrugged and said, "I don't know, it just popped into mind."

Twilight concentrated as she cast the spell on herself before collapsing into the same sleep. Aria turned her camera on Pinkie Pie and said "You are truely strange."

...

When Twilight appeared in the city, it wasn't as neat as Applejack and Rainbow Dash saw it. It looked like if a big earthquake had hit it. The sun had been blotted out by a vast storm and metal machines could be seen scattered around. Twilight walked along nervously, trying to shake the feeling that something was watching. "I better find Matt and quick," said Twilight.

After 15 minutes looking, Twilight was close to reluctantly giving up when she heard a frightened yell from a deserted shop. Twilight quickly ran in the direction of the shop. She wasn't sure if someone else besides Matt would need help in here, but she could at least try.

She turned the corner to see Matt backing away, holding a baseball bat, terrified from what was a clearly dead version of a human. The human, judging by its smaller build, appeared to be female and looked like it had been intensely burned. Matt, on his own behalf looked like he'd snapped, taking a swing at the thing, only for the bat to be snatched away and for him to be hit with it...hard.

"I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'm stopping it," said Twilight before her horn started glowing. A simple telekinesis spell allowed her to lift a plank of wood up, sending it flying into the back of the human, causing it to turn towards her and say in a snarl "You were warned." Whatever it was about to do, was never given a chance to occur as Matt knocked it down with the reclaimed bat and began hitting it madly for a minute before just dropping the bat.

"What was that?" asked Twilight. Matt was panting and looking at the body of the thing with a sad look before rubbing his face. "This smoke...gets in my eyes...as for that...its...its a memory this thing will pay for touching." he said, a worrying dark tone in his voice. "So, I suppose you'll believe me when I say we're in your mind," said Twilight.

"I don't know...I don’t know what the hells going on...I feel like I'm two people at the moment...though the fact the city melted into a disaster zone is probably something to support the theory." said Matt, picking up the bat again before saying in a chipper tone "So...who are you?" "Twilight Sparkle, your friend," said Twilight. "I'll take your word for it...when I doubted the blue one, she grabbed me and flew off the observation deck of the Empire state building." said Matt, shuddering at the memory and adding "And then we were attacked by a lake."

"And then she was attacked by a tree," added Twilight. Matt shuddered "I came back and saw what that...thing did to her...stabbed her and then she...evaporated...this is too weird...any minute now, I'll wake up." said Matt, his voice starting to shake. "Well, you ought to, right?" asked Twilight, "I mean, this is your dream." "I’ve tried everything. Nothing worked. I just want to go home." said Matt, sitting down before a high pitched shriek was heard. "Ok...what the smeg was that?" said Matt, looking around. "Probably trouble," said Twilight, "I think we should move."

The two turned to see the road warping. "Yeah...I agree...RUN!" Matt said, yelling the last part. The two turned and ran as fast as they could, turning into a side alley as the tentacles the road had warped into slammed into the ground. "Matt, this is a lucid dream now, right?" asked Twilight, "Can't you control it?" "Been trying...I don’t usually imagine killer roads." snapped Matt as they turned another corner.

"Well, can't you give us wings or something?" asked Twilight. "I'd prefer a large gun...or a tank...a tank would be nice." gibbered Matt. "Then make a tank!" shouted Twilight before adding, "Whatever that is." Matt yelped as a wall grew a mouth and tried to munch on him, screaming "TANK TANK TANK!" over and over as the opposite wall tried the same thing. "Uh, Matt, let's just keep running," said Twilight seeing as how nothing that could be a tank was appearing.

The duo ran out into the street before Matt spotted a poster for the NYC museum. Matt stopped suddenly and stared entranced at it, memories flooding back. An exhibit...a flash of light...being pulled into a vortex... "Twilight? I think I know how to...Twilight?" said Matt, turning to see his companion had vanished.

...

While Twilight had not seen streetlights before, she was pretty sure they served the same purpose as lanterns. However, she was equally certain that they were not supposed to be able to move by themselves. A figure melted out of the ground behind them. It looked human....except for the eyes that were pure black. "You were warned." it hissed. "You have no right to be here," said Twilight.

"And you have no right to do this to him. All he has ever wanted is to go home...I gave him that. He would have been happy had you not meddled." said the leech. "You're killing him," said Twilight, "If you stay attached to him for too long, he will die." "He would have died happy...without knowing the pain...did you know that his sister was killed by one of the many enemies he made?" sneered the leech.

"What?" asked Twilight. "Didn’t he tell you? Oh, thats why he’s so intent on staying hidden away...he just wants the colonel to come after him." said the leech, a cruel grin on its face now. "The who?" asked Twilight, "You mean Darius?" "Ah...the A.I told you after all. Ah well...I did warn your friend that I would have to kill the next intruder...but I can think of a use for you..." said the leech with a smirk before shapeshifting into a clone of Twilight and saying in a perfect imitation of her. "After all...I don’t know what escape his subconscious has."

"Like Matt will ever fall for that," said Twilight. "You're connected to his mind by a spell you read about in Psychological Magicks. Aria has warned you that if he dies while you are here...you do too." said the leech-Twilight promptly before saying "Surprised? Didn’t you read how the spell is basically a bridge between minds...and thats its two way?" "You'll never win," said Twilight, "You're evil." The leech-Twilight smirked and said, "I think someone's been reading too many fairy tales," before trotting off, the animated streetlamps stopping Twilight from following.

...

Matt peered around a corner and ducked back...before peering around in disbelief as a trash can hopped by. "Ok...If I survive this, I'm checking into therapy." he said to himself. Just then, Twilight ran up to him from round a corner and said, "Matt, I'm glad I found you. The leech caught me, but I escaped." Matt looked at her before peering out again and saying "Lucky...I think I'm remembering. If this is a dream...I think I know where my brain would put the emergency exit."

"You do?" asked Twilight, a little eagerly. "Yeah." said Matt, a little unnerved at her eagerness. Twilight said "So...what is it?" before glaring as Matt said casually "Easier if I show you." "We might get separated again," said Twilight, the urgency slipping back "You should probably tell me so I'll know where it is." Matt said "Not if we're careful. Its not that far." turning away and not seeing the look of rage on Twilights face.

Matt and Twilight walked on until suddenly they came across a stoplight that had switched to red. They paused for a second and suddenly a marching band passed in front of them, only without the marchers or the players. "Matthew wants out...I think my brain is melting to generate THAT!" said Matt, pointing at the marching show.

The invisible parade continued on for quite some time. "Ok, I don't even like this song," said Matt, "Couldn't they at least have some baton girls?" A baton, on cue span out and hit Matt between the eyes. "Ow...touchy for ghosts." he said dizzily. "Can we get a move on already?" asked Twilight impatiently. "Fine..." said Matt, sulkily as the band finished going by. Finally, the light turned green and Matt said, "Well, on we go."

The duo continued on until the museum came into view. Matt immediately ducked down as several animated lamp posts came into, led by. "Hey...isn't that you?" said Matt. "Uh, no, it must be the leech taking on my form," said Twilight. Matt sighed "Great...what I'd give for a plasma pistol."

"You mean like that one?" asked Twilight, pointing towards a building where a glass case containing a plasma pistol was hanging. The lettering on the case said 'In case of mind invaders, break glass'.

Matt smirked and patted himself on the head. "Good brain." he said before sneaking over and smashing the case, pulling out the blaster before pausing "Wait...how come I'm able to do this now? The leech stopped me making a tank...it couldn’t stop a little sidearm?" "Maybe you're getting some control back," said Twilight quickly.

Matt looked suspicious before peering out again and taking aim at the other Twilight, pausing. "Well? What are you waiting for?" asked Twilight. "Something doesn't seem right," said Matt. "Besides the walking street lamps?" asked Twilight. Matt looked before changing the guns aim and saying "For a start...since when were you so for blasting things?" before sending out four neat shots, blasting the lamp posts causing the other twilight to look around in surprise and see them.

"It's a leech, a parasite," said Twilight, "Everyone would be better off if it was dead." Matt ignored Twilight and got into view, aiming at the other Twilight. "Don’t try anything." he called. "Matt, what are you doing?" asked the second Twilight. The first Twilight said "Don't listen to it...kill it." only to go silent as Matt span to aim back at it. "You too...the leech thing I saw could shapeshift."

"What? How could you think I was the leech?" asked the first Twilight. "Of course she is, she set those lampposts on me," said the second Twilight. Matt turned and said, annoyed "Both of you could be the leech as far as I know." "I'm the real Twilight," said the first Twilight. "You are not, you liar, I am," said the other Twilight. "Oh please, her disguise is so flawed. I wouldn't be seen in broad daylight with a mane as matted as that." "Hey, now that's getting personal." "You wouldn't know personal if it kicked you." "You mean like this?" asked the second Twilight before kicking the first Twilight.

Matt stood back in surprise as the two ponies fought each other before Matt sighed and fired a shot at one of the cars, blowing it apart. "STOP IT!" he yelled. The two ponies stopped but now Matt had no idea which was which. Matt sighed and said, "Ok, there's only one way to settle this: a pop quiz. Something only the real Twilight would know."

"That shouldn't be a problem," said both Twilights at the same time. Matt blinked and said, "Ok, first off, don't do that again. And second...whats in the vault next to I keep my Digivice?" One Twilight hesitated while the other said, "Right next to the damaged combat helmet from when you took on the Infected." Matt paused before saying, "That's right." The Twilight who answered looked smug while the other wore a saddened, defeated look.

Matt sighed and raised his blaster. The Twilight that had answered correctly said “What are you waiting for? Shoot the fake.” Matt raised his lowered head, smiling and said “Ok.” Shifting his aim from the upset Twilight and blasting the other. That Twilight was sent flying into a wall, causing quite a dent as she hit it. The second Twilight turned to Matt and asked, "Why did you hit her?"

"Because she's obviously this leech. I never told you about the safe...let alone what was in it." said Matt, twirling the blaster on its trigger guard smugly. "That was pretty clever," said Twilight, impressed. Matt bowed theatrically "I do have good ideas sometimes, despite what my file says." he said before a roar from the direction of the other twilights resting place made him go pale. "Of course this is more usual." he said weakly.

"Uh, didn't you say something about a way out earlier?" asked Twilight, equally nervous. "Yeah...lets go take a look." said Matt urgently before running up the steps of the museum as a claw ripped out of the rubble of the wall the leech-twilight had hit.

Twilight followed Matt into the museum and looked around. Despite it's ruined state, she could tell there were many interesting things here. "Wow, I never would have thought you'd have anything like this," she said. Matt came back and grabbed her "I'll buy you a guide book...I think the leech wants to turn us into dog food." he said, dragging her into an exhibit called 'Unusual finds of the ancient world'.

Matt ran through the exhibit, looking left and right as he passed by displays. "I sure hope it wasn't moved," he said to himself. Matt peered around, looking for the artifact before turning a corner and punching the air in victory. "Yo...Twilight...I found our exit." he called. Twilight turned the corner to see what looked like a stone arch...though the stone caught the light in a strange way.

"What is that?" asked Twilight. "Well, I only saw it for a second..." said Matt, kicking a 'do not touch the exhibit' sign over and strolling up. "...but it is our exit." before he put his hand on it before looking expectant. However, nothing happened. Matt growled with annoyance and started kicking the arch. "C'mon, work you lousy portal!" snapped Matt. Twilight looked on with an embarrassed air as Matt attempted to beat the archway up screaming things about it being a 'useless piece of stargate ripoff junk'. "Matt, how much longer is this going to take?" she asked after a minute.

"Soon...very soon." said Matt through gritted teeth before grabbing a fire extinguisher and hitting the archway with it repeatedly. "Maybe I should help," said Twilight. Matt yelled "NO...I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED BY A GARDEN ORNAMENT!" a mad look on his face before he kicked a slightly uneven part that pushed in. At once several crystals on the interior of the arch started to glow with a humming. Matt spotted this and laughed in a way that worryingly reminded Twilight of when Fluttershy had snapped during the gala, even up to how some thunder was heard on cue.

"Uh, so can we go now?" asked Twilight. Matt peered at the arch. "I dunno...it was almost instantaneous last time." he said before a voice said in a gutteral voice "That is because you are not leaving alive." Both Matt and Twilight froze. "Oh, that does not sound good," said Matt. "Here, I can make your nightmares come true...if you won’t stay willingly...you'll stay UNWILLINGLY!" said the voice, gaining a hissing quality. Matt went pale, apparently recognising it.

"Uh, Twilight, just to let you know, things are going to get really scary and ugly," said Matt. Twilight looked nervously at the turning out of the exhibit area as some kind of reptillian, wearing some kind of torn uniform came into view. "Infected." said Matt fearfully. "Are those the creatures that Aria told us about?" asked Twilight.

"Thats private...but yeah...thats an infected...and they're more or less indestructible...so stay behind me." said Matt before throwing the extinguisher in the infected face, snapping its head back with a crack and knocking it down. He slowly walked up to it carefully before prodding it with his foot. "Is it dead?" asked Twilight, nervously looking at it.

Matt looked back "It seems that..." he began before the infected suddenly leapt up, grabbed Matt by the throat and punched him across the room and into a pile of rubble before turning to look at Twilight with a look that could only be called 'evil'. "Keep back," said Twilight, her horn glowing. The infected laughed coldly "That won’t work." it said. Twilight backed up until she was near the arch. "You know you're still going to die," said Twilight, "Even if you do kill Matt, my friends will make sure you won't harm anyone else," she said, bluffing.

"You're lying...you ponies don’t kill...I don't think you could..." said the leech knowingly, readying its claws.

...

Matt shook a few stars from his vision and tried to stand up, only to fall over again. "I hate infected." he said before seeing the infected closing in on Twilight. "Hey...you overgrown parasite." he called. The infected shifted its attention to Matt. "I'll deal with you in a minute," it said.

Matt glared and said in his best taunting voice "Whats wrong, fishbait? Too scared? Or are you such a wuss you have to pick on someone who's defenceless to feel big?" he said. "I can control this entire world at a whim," said the infected, "Neither of you are a real threat to me." Matt sighed "I suppose...though you're a bad aim." he said evilly. "What's that supposed to mean?" demanded the infected. "That you have all the fighting skills of a oyster and about as much backbone." said Matt simply.

"And yet I'm clearly more superior than both of you combined," said the leech, furious. "Oh, is that why you keep failing to kill us and fell for my trick earlier?" said Matt, sarcastically. The infected growled and said, "I won't fail to kill you this time." Matt said "Yeah...of course you will."

The infected snarled and suddenly, the rocks around Matt sprang at him in an effort to crush him. Matt dodged the rocks with ease before laughing "Thats a true coward there...hasn’t got the spine to do the fighting itself...then again, you are just a brainless parasite." he said. The infected roared and charged at Matt, claws and fangs bared to tear him apart.

Matt leaned against the pillar as the leech-infected charged at him before dodging at the last minute. "You're not a real infected...you're a bad joke." said Matt, grinning. The infected snarled and charged at Matt again. Matt sighed and dodged again. "I've fought real infected...you are just a bad imitation." he taunted.

"Uh, Matt, not that this isn't interesting, but we still need to get out of here," called Twilight. Matt looked at the infected, who was panting, tired. "Yeah...this things a waste of my time." he said before walking over to the arch and kicking it, the crystals flaring into life and a white vortex appearing. However, Matt had his back turned to the infected for too long and it charged at him again. Before Matt could react, it sank its claws into his back.

Twilight turned from her view of the swirling wormhole at Matts gurgle to see the infected toss him aside. "And now...YOU!" it hissed.

...

In the real world...

The monitor over Matt's head began to let out a shrieking warning, Matt himself convulsing like something had hit him from behind before heart failure warnings began to wail. "What's happening?" asked Fluttershy, frightened.

Aria scanned the monitor. "His mind is registering massive physical trauma...I am attempting to restart his heart." she said hurriedly, the patchs buzzing with electricity again. "I sure hope Matt and Twilight can figure themselves outta there soon," said Applejack.

...

Twilight dodged another lunge by the infected-Leech and galloped away from it. "Stay still, pony." it snarled. "Like I'm going to do that," said Twilight. Matt however, was still alive...but just barely. 'So this is how it ends? Killed by sushi.' he was thinking. "Matt, this place isn't real!" called Twilight, "That wound can't kill you if you don't want it to."

Matt's half dead brain thought 'The talking pony is RIGHT...we don’t have to take any smeg from that shapeshifting tentacle...NOW GET UP!!' Matt groaned and got up, the pain starting to vanish. "This is my mind, and there's no way that I'm going to lose in here," he said to himself. The leech turned in shock "What? NO...I AM IN CONTROL HERE!" it yelled, sending a spear of rock at Matt ,only for it to stop in midair, and it beginning to head back towards the leech.

"No! Wait! Stop!" yelled the leech as it tried to stop the spear. Matt stopped the spear a inch from the leech. "Yes?" said Matt, thoroughly enjoying himself. "It doesn't have to be this way," said the leech desperately, "We can form a partnership, a symbiosis." Matt thought about this before saying “Erm...naaah. I’d rather chew my own foot off.”

"But I can offer you so much," said the leech. "Such as?" asked Matt. The leech hesitated as it tried to think up any kind of answers. "See, that's the problem with you parasites," said Matt, "It's all 'take' and no 'give'. You're no help to anyone." The leech said quickly "I'll leave your body...immediately."

"Yeah, you will," said Matt before sending the spear forward. The leech looked confused, looking down at the spear that had hit it before cracks of light appeared over it before it seemed to shatter into white dust. "Uh, can we go now?" asked Twilight. Matt nodded "Yeah....lets go." before he and Twilight walked into the portal...

...

...and Matt shot upright on the medibay bed and scrabbled at the leech around his neck, throwing it across the bay. "Bleaah." he said, making a face. The leech made a weak hiss and tried to slither away. "Oh no, you don't," said Matt as he got up and walked over to it. He raised his foot high and said, "I'm not gonna waste ammo on you. Plus, this'll be more rewarding."

Fluttershy looked horrified and said "Matt...don’t...it can’t hurt you anymore." "This thing is a parasite, it does nothing but make others suffer. It deserves to be squished," said Matt. Fluttershy said "It can’t do anything to you anymore. You shouldn't kill it when it can't fight back."

Matt looked down at the leech before giving a snort of disgust. "I must be going batty," said Matt before walking away, "I need to have my brain scanned. No telling what that miserable runt did in there." The leech seemed to be coiling up to leap at Matt again before Fluttershy noticed and turned to look at it. Matt couldn’t see Fluttershy's face but the leech obviously could because it left at an impressive speed.

"Uh, what was that?" asked Matt. Fluttershy said "Oh, erm...nothing," in a small voice. Matt sighed...before looking around. "Hey...erm...thanks. You kept an eye on me and helped me out of a seriously bad jam." "Ah, it weren't nothing," said Applejack. "Like we'd let you be leech food," said Rainbow Dash.

"Well, since they were going inside your mind, I felt they ought to know a few things," said Aria, "Although most of it just went over their heads." Matt sighed "I swear on everything I know...I'm not here to cause trouble...its the last thing I want." "Of course not," said Twilight, "You're our friend." "Yeah, good friends wouldn't be mean to us," said Pinkie. "You might be a bit crass but you're quite exceptional company," said Rarity. "Alright, alright, I get it, ease up on the cheeriness," said Matt, "I'm still feeling sick from that leech." Before he made a face and ran for a door marked ‘restroom’.

"What's he doing?" asked Rainbow Dash. Aria gave an electronic smirk. "Purging his systems," she said.

...

Personal Log engaged...

Log in accepted...

Log Begins...

"Well...Looks like those little ponies were right...this forest is not good for your health. It's not the big monsters you have to watch out for so much as the little ones. Specifically a couple of psychic parasites that like to put you in a permanent sleep.

Luckily...just like in basic...its better if you have back up...even if that backups a group of talking ponies. They coulda just left me...hell, they don't know me. Maybe I shouldn't be...no...if Darius turns up, it'll be the mining colony all over again. I stay here...End recording"

Log terminated...