• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 524 Views, 0 Comments

Song of the Draconequus - Ownageburrito



Our brave Author attempts to divulge what exactly a Draconequus is... What results is an interesting adventure involving love, chaos, order, and a small duck.

  • ...
 0
 524

Recollection

A tired yawn is given by lone unicorn sitting alone in a small study. His coat a deep earthen brown with a tinge of green giving it the slight appearance of dirt. A fact his friends refuse to let him forget about, much to his annoyance. On the colt's (or young stallion perhaps?) flank was a light-bulb switched on, showing his passion for science and all things interesting. Or maybe his natural talent for invention and innovation. Or maybe just a strange affinity for light-bulbs. His mane being a solid dark gold with flecks of white about the hair, with his tail matching. Both disheveled and messy but this was the normal style for him. Putting the quill down he looks around at his "organized chaos" as another unicorn had told him once. All manner of objects decorate the slightly cramped space as he sits alone by candlelight. Laboratory equipment strewn all along the desk haphazardly in front of him, although if you were to ask him he'd be able to find anything here in the room with a simple nod of the head and a bit of magic. Putting the quill from his magical grasp he rubs at a tired eye and looks over his work, finding it lacking a certain element as he frowns a bit.

Ugh... And of course I forget THE most important part. Possibly one of the greatest scientific discoveries of all ponykind, and I completely forget to put down my own name! He reprimands himself slightly, although he still can't help but feel that bubble of warmth in his heart from remembering his achievements. Especially with a certain somepony, even if it was pure accident. Then again most great things happen on accident this story was proof of that. He muses to himself quietly then grabbing his quill in a soft golden green glow of magic he scribbles quickly on the cover of his slightly abused journal...

Song of the Draconequus

By Rocket A. Science

Seemingly satisfied with his penmanship he returns the quill to it's place on the desk standing up from his pillow and giving a stretch of the legs for good measure he trots out of the study slowly into a long hallway dotted with doors at various intervals. The walls stark white and hardly any decoration as he walks through calmly. A rather distinct contrast from his cramped study. Oddly there are no handles or hinges to use these doors, but with a glow of his horn the door slides open with a silent sound of air escaping. A simple trick to deter those who would invade his home from the creations inside... He walks by and opens each door in turn to peer inside.

The first holds a monstrosity of a machine. An enormous complex of wires, cords, and metal occupies the entire wall. This new creation of his was rather amazing at what it could do, from performing mathematical feats within seconds to producing sounds with a simple button press! It could even send messages over vast distances in a matter of seconds! He had yet to name it, or even let it be known of it's existence. But what to name a device that could compute with such power? Pausing a moment to see if inspiration would touch his mind again with a brilliant name for this computing masterpiece he shrugs after a moment, Eh. I'm sure it'll come to me eventually...

Next on his stops was a room filled with various chemicals and vials looking somewhat of a mad scientists lab. And in a way it was. Not that he was mad. He steps inside for a moment to flip a switch, machines powering down and dimming to a dull glow made the room a bit disturbing to look at, the various chemicals letting off soft lights mixed with the glow of the machines nearby gave it an ethereal look. Note to self, make chemical lab look less... scary. Feeling a bit silly for being afraid of deadly chemicals in a dark room he chuckles to himself and turns around to continue down the hall.

The third room held multiple suits of different designs and materials. In a sort of demented way, it was like a scientists boutique of suits for varying situations. His personal favorite was a black and orange suit which he has dubbed the PEV Suit (Poni-Environment Safety Suit). Specifically designed to keep the wearer of the suit from harms way it contained everything you could possibly need to survive any situation. He only ever made two of the suits, one for himself and an assistant if needed, but he's had multiple requests from his colleagues to make a third so that they could replicate it. And he will, whenever he gets around to it. They can wait.

The final room contains nothing but a small sphere centered in the room surrounded by glyphs of containment and suppression holding a swirling hurricane of anger and gray inside. A subtle marriage of new-age science and ancient magic, Rocket can't help but smirk a bit at the trapped energy and thinks back to the day his life changed and he had met her. The day that changed everything for him and made all of this possible...

A quiet voice snaps him out of his recollection. "Rocky? What are you doing up...? It's late."

"Oh nothing. Just finished writing that chapter over my results from our star attraction here." Smiling as he looks back to the pony in the darkness he gestures to the heavily sealed orb in the room. The pony shifts slightly in the doorway as she answers, "You know, it always makes me nervous to be in here. Sometimes I wish we could just get rid of it, but that's impossible so..."

"Trust me, I know the feeling. But we can't destroy it so we just have to hold it here, otherwise someone might find it..." Turning around to step towards the other unicorn he gently gives her a hug to reassure her before speaking, "And what are you still doing here? It IS rather late you know."

"I... uh... well I didn't want to look rude and... uh... leave before saying goodnight..." She stutters out the words to him, and the heat in her cheeks was practically radiating enough for him to notice although he couldn't see her clearly.

"Is that so miss Sparkle?" The unicorn laughs loudly... the world starts to spin. Everything becomes clouded and harsh as the room fades. The orb in the center pulsating horridly now as space and time rip each other apart until...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Jerking awake from the sudden images I look around at the interior to my prison. A dream or... a memory? It's hard to tell. Everything blends together now... My head is pounding, but the pain is dull and seems as though it doesn't belong to me. Like I was just observing another persons pain. Closing my eyes I concentrate to remember. It was the first thing I'd seen that wasn't part of the grayness. I try so hard to pull it back from the depths of my mind and though I feel the memory it gets harder to hold onto until all at once it's gone again, except for the strange sense of someone nearby. The mare? Strange... I can't see her through this endless fog but I know she's near. Maybe she knows who I am? I gotta find her, for my own sake at least.

Opening my eyes I look at the simple cell I'd been tossed into, the bars rusted and looking as though it'd be simple to break them. I was a unicorn right? He didn't take that away did he? A quick touch to the forehead quelled the dread that was rising in me, and I nodded to myself. Okay good... maybe I can use my magic again. What magic did I use before though, I wonder? My mark... what was it again? Questions about myself rising from nowhere I do my best to at least try and bring back the image of what I thought was myself. After a good long hour or so of trying to remember more about myself, I could only really conclude I was a unicorn, my name was Rocket, and that I was known by at least another unicorn.

"Better than nothing I guess..."I mumble quietly and notice how the bars were made out of candy... wait what?

"Oh GOOD you finally woke up. I was afraid I'd have to shock you awake! Would've too if I didn't risk getting... that. Whatever that is." A strange creature floated around before me, looking as relaxed as can be on a small floating cloud.

"What...?" I still find it hard to speak.

"Speak up speak up! I can't heeeeaaar you!" Discord calls in an annoying voice, perking a claw to his ear as if to hear me better. Wait, his name is Discord...? I know this... thing?

Rolling his eyes exasperatedly as he looks me over. "Oh for heavens sake. Don't tell me he silenced you AND cursed you? I gotta admit though, ol' Monty out did himself this time! Not even sure if I can get rid of it all."

I perk up at the mention of getting rid of this curse. "You... can fix... me?"

"Maybe. Possibly. Probably. Thing about Order is how it always works when something happens, and chaos is not knowing if anything will happen at all! Care to take a gamble my little friend?" Discords eyes glow wickedly in the dim light, extending a glowing paw to me. "It's quite simple how it works. You simply can't remove this kind of curse only pass it on to someone else or get Monty himself to fix it. Can't just give it to just anyone though, you have to give it to someone you care about."

"Someone... I care... about? But I don't... remember." Do I even have someone I care about?

Discord simply laughs and nods, "Exactly! You'll have NO idea who you'll be cursing until AFTER you curse them! Tragic isn't it? You could curse your parents or your sibling or a friend or even the twin you never knew you had until this very moment!"

"Anything... anything to get rid of this..." I was losing my mind to this grayness. I couldn't refuse the offer of escape.

"Splendid then! Well without further..." He reaches towards me with his magicked claw and I brace myself for the relief of finally escaping this madness, when I feel the warmth and happiness of that mare again...

"Wait."

"Oh what is it now?" Giving me an annoyed look as I hold up a hoof.

"I change my mind... I don't want anyone to suffer this horrible grayness." Even if there's the slightest chance it'd be her... She must really mean something to me for me to do this.

"...That's a bad idea my little friend." The god of chaos was actually serious for once, a glaring look at me that would make most ponies wilt with fear. I guess I have the curse to thank for this as I didn't feel much from it at all. "I don't have time for more games, much as I'd like too. I either swap the curse to someone else more manageable or I have to destroy you here and now."

"Wh-what...?" Even through the dense fog I felt a chill run down my spine as the lazy and nonchalant creature became deadly serious, the glow in his hand changing from a yellowish glow to a reddish blaze in his hands. "What do you mean... more manageable?"

"Oh it'd take too long to explain and you're nearly there. I can't waste anymore time." Giving a sigh as he readies a bolt of energy, "Oh well. I'll just explain to Celestia what happened. After all one dead unicorn is better than..."

The world explodes from under me. Am I dead...?

Author's Note:

Has Rocket Science kicked the bucket?

Has Discord saved the day?

How does Twilight tie into all this?

Find out next time...!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment