• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 524 Views, 0 Comments

Song of the Draconequus - Ownageburrito



Our brave Author attempts to divulge what exactly a Draconequus is... What results is an interesting adventure involving love, chaos, order, and a small duck.

  • ...
 0
 524

Order

A perfect cube of solid steel stands resolute against everything that surrounds it. Giant piles of absolutely nothing surround the landscape of a completely flat desert. Void of anything that could be used as a landmark or sort of bearing to navigate, even the sky was blank as the rump of a few certain crusaders. The ground solid grey to match with the large cube to the point it's hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. As creepy as the place was though I have a job to do...

"Come in, I know you're there. Disgusting, malformed creature..." Such a plain voice with no obvious underlying tones or shifts in pitch to place. It was like listening to a robot speak, if robots could even sound disgusted at the same time.

"...Rather rude, but at least I'm allowed to enter." But from what side? The structure was obviously it's... his... home. But there was no obvious entrance. The tomes clearly stated to find a place of absolute uniformity, and the voice that floated out from within the structure confirmed my thoughts but...

"Don't move, I don't want you stepping all over my perfectly flat sand any further then you already have." The disembodied voice called out almost lazily.

And with a quiet clapping sound I was suddenly inside the surprisingly well lit box of metal. And before me stood... well something. Where as Discord was a discombobulation of animals thrown haphazardly together to form what he is now this particular Draconequus was perfectly... symmetrical? That's all I could think of to be honest. Made up of different animals, he sported two tiger paws for hands, a pair of kangaroo legs for feet, the body of some kind of sleek fish (I'm still not totally sure.) the tail of a monkey which writhed behind him irritatingly, and finally atop the conglomeration of animals rested the head of a lion. Of all these features however what struck me as strange though, was how he was perfectly split down the center with one half of him white and the other pure black.

"Well you're here now, and I know you have questions so let's get on with it." The Draconequus eyed me over with an appraising look like a business man would a new product.

"U-uh... yes. Yes I have a few questions if that's alright. Mind telling me your name?"

"My name is Monotonous Draconequus." I guessed it was due to his monotone voice. And actions. And well... everything.

"So... you're a Draconequus right?" He rolls his eyes as if this were obvious. And really, it kind of was so I simply blush sheepishly to him.

"And... do you have powers like Discord? Dominion over something?" I sounded much braver then I felt. It's not every day you talk to something akin to a god after all, especially something like this.

"Yes. God of Order." He replies, a small grin crossing his features. I'd have to say this was more terrifying then anything. A smile like that could only mean trouble, but I did my best to keep the conversation going. I couldn't let my friend back home down.

"Oh, so it's kinda like with Luna and Celestia, night and day..."

"Of sorts. So I take it you met my younger brother already then? How is the little brat?" He seemed to take pleasure in insulting his more chaotic sibling, but I said nothing. Although aside from his rudeness, this Draconequus was easier to talk to than Discord...

"Ugh I can't stand it... you're absolutely dreadful to even look at." His voice practically dripping with venomous distaste at my apparently bad looks. I'm not one for vanity but I wasn't the worst looking pony around. Or well I hoped so anyway. Stupid self esteem.

"Wh-what? Are you calling me ugly or something?"

"Stupid too? No redeeming factors to speak of. Such a shame. Perhaps I should improve you..."

"Improve? What's that supposed to mean...?"

Every instinct told me to leave, to run and hide from this... unnatural thing. But a quick glance around reminded me there was no way in or out of this strange cube...

"Shush child, and let your better improve your existence..."

I backed away slightly from him as his eyes glowed lightly against the bleak darkness, and with another soft clap my skin was drained of it's color. My tail and mane turned to an incredibly bleak gray, almost looking as if I was ill. Even my cutie mark changed slightly to accommodate the sudden change in color. I felt tired and mute. As if he had somehow removed my capacity for emotions. I could barely see, everything being gray and cold. My hearing was impaired as well as my sense of touch. It was as if someone had taken a damp cloth over my mind to block all sense of perceptions.

"What... did you do... to me..."

"Glorious isn't it? Nothing out of place, nothing different, perfectly pure!"

"But... my skin... it's blank... I can barely see... my cutie mark..."

"Pah! Color is an obtrusion on the delicacy of perfection! Only by being blank can you truly be happy!"

"But... no one will recognize me..."

"And what is the problem with that my dear? Who needs names and friends when you can be perfect? The gift I have given to you will make all your pains disappear! No more worrying about anything as there's nothing to worry about to begin with!. "

"I... should go..."

"Yes, go! Go and show the world your new-found beauty! Show them the artistry of Monotonous! Perhaps now after seeing how wonderful being perfect can be they will finally allow me to take rightful place as Master. Imagine, a world of gray and silence! Void of any kind of suffering or torment! Oh it'd be simply glorious. Yes, go forth my new creation and tell the world of my return!"

Another silent clap and I stood outside, the cube gone and the world looking as a blank and sad as I felt. Actually I wasn't sure if I was sad or not... I turn to follow the hoof prints home, a shroud of gray overtaking my every sense as things begin to blur...

I... need... to find help... before I lose myself...

Author's Note:

Who is our mysterious Author? Will he/she be able to return to their former selves? And what about this strange creature Monotonous...?