• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 32,398 Views, 427 Comments

The Magic Within - Night--Mist



Sometimes when you want to live up to your family's legacy, all you need to do is to look inside yourself and do what you think is right, with friends to help you find your way.

  • ...
65
 427
 32,398

A Memorable Birthday

A Memorable Birthday

It has been three years since Twilight had hatched the baby dragon. At first her new classmates didn't think it was that impressive, but when another dragon egg had been this time given to the class by it's mother for teaching purposes, Celestia then asked one of Twilight's classmates if she could try to hatch the dragon egg. The classmate then tried to hatch the egg, but as hard as she had tried, her magic didn't even make a crack in it. The rest of the class was shocked for this filly was one of Celestia's top students in Twilight's age group. (Of course Twilight was one of them and not because she was a princess.)

Because Celestia knew how much her daughter didn't like to boast, She never called on her daughter unless Twilight had a question or she knew the class wouldn't mind. Twilight had become very focused in her studies and in flight and it was the two excuses she usually used to get away from everypony else to be alone. Forge had tried to talk to her once in a while about school, but every time she would simply ignore him, for she was at that age where she thought it gross to be around boys and to prevent another round of teasing from her older sister. As she finished her studies, she thought about what she should do now. She had read over the books assigned to her and, without the young princess knowing about it, Celestia had told the librarians to say the library was closed for repairs.

She didn't want to stay cooped up in her room all day doing nothing, and was wondering why most ponies in the castle were barely talking to her. It was her birthday after all and she had nothing to do. She had already had lunch so going to the dining hall was out of the picture. She finally decided to take walk around Canterlot. She knew she had to request one of the gaurds take her so she headed towards the Palace doors and to her luck there was Shining Armor, who had become a strong young stallion. She walked up to the white stallion and he bows saying, "Good afternoon your highness. How may I help you?"

Seeing this as an opportunity to get away from the stuck up stallions that usually escorted her she says, "Well I was hoping if you're not too busy, you could be my escort around Canterlot today."

From Shining's point of view, this was the perfect opportunity to get Twilight away from the castle, since nearly every pony inside was preparing for her surprise party. "Well I don't have anything scheduled, so I couldn't say 'no' to the Princess."

"Well at least somepony's not avoiding me like I'm a ghost," Twilight says, laughing with Shining at her joke.

Soon they were walking through Canterlot and Ponies left and right giving her comments like, 'Happy Birthday Princess' or 'Princess Twilight, a Happy Birthday to you today' and she replied with a thank you. They had made their way through and Twilight was taking in a deep breath, happy to get away from the worrywarts of the castle. She didn't realize that she wasn't looking where she was going until Shining yelled, "Princess, watch out!"

He had warned her a little too late for the next thing she knew, she had bumped into another pony carrying clothes and they hit the ground with an "Oof" and clothes landing on top of them.

The two ponies were on the ground dazed a bit, while other ponies gasped and rushed to help them up. "Oh your highness, please forgive me......" was all the pony could say before Twilight cut him off and said, "Relax Fancy Pants. I should have been more aware of my surroundings. No harm done."

"I say, how was it you knew my name ?" said the stallion of high class.

"Well it's hard not to know subjects of your stature while being taught how to help run a kingdom," Twilight says.

"I must say, they certainly don't let age get in the way of teaching royalty at the castle," Fancy says.

"Well I'll let you get back to your business Fancy Pants," Twilight said, stating to feel uncomfortable of all the eyes watching her.

"Why thank your highness and have a splendid birthday today," Fancy says as he bows and picks up his clothing rather quickly.

"Thank you very much Fancy Pants," Twilight replies.

Soon Twilight and Shining Armor were off once again, with Shining feeling embarrassed he had let her run into Fancy Pants. Twilight soon said, "Don't worry about it Shining. You have to admit it was a tad bit funny to see those clothes flying everywhere."

Shining smiled at her but was still red in the face with his embarrassment. "Yeah it was a little bit funny," Shining said.

Twilight was about to say something when she heard somepony say, "Halt you thief!"

She looked below them to another level of the city and saw a very small colt running from none other then Silver Sword. "I'll make sure you're put in your place, you pathetic mule," Silver Sword says.

The kid was panting and says, "No, you misunderstand sir."

"Silence, it's the dungeon for you boy," Silver Sword yells.

Twilight couldn't stand it any more, she had to help the little colt. She soon spread her wings and took off from the ground when Shining asks with worry, "Princess Twilight, what are you doing?"

"I have to help that little colt. You know how stubborn Silver Sword is," Twilight said.

"Can't argue with that your highness. I'll be down there as quick as I can," Shining Armor says.

"Thank you Shining," Twilight says.

Soon she takes off towards the colt as fast as her wings can carry her and she got there just in time. The Stallions that were with Silver Sword had the little foal up against a brick wall and were about to tackle him when they saw Twilight swoop in. They stopped dead in their tracks as she landed in front of the foal and says, "Put down your weapons, you're scaring the little colt."

"Princess Twilight, I request you step aside and let us take our prisoner," Silver Sword says.

"Did you not hear what I said. Drop your weapons and back off. You will not harm this little colt," Twilight says looking at the colt who was hiding his face with his hooves.

Silver Sword was surprised at Twilight's act of bravery, as was Twilight herself, yet she held her ground as everyone but Silver Sword had dropped their weapons. Silver Sword dropped his weapon as soon as he heard, "I would do as she says Silver Sword, or do I need to report you to the Captain of the Royal Guard about disobeying a direct order from a member of the royal family and demote you again."

Silver Sword did not argue with Shining Armor, for Shining now out ranked him highly. Twilight nods her approval to Shining Armor and then says, "Now, why were you chasing this colt Silver?"

"We saw him steal an apple from an apple cart, your majesty," Silver says.

"It's not true! I did not steal anything your highness," the colt says, still shaking in fear.

"Well the evidence is stacked against you. Did you pay for the apple?" Twilight asks the little colt.

"No but..." was all he managed to say before Twilight says, "That is considered stealing, unless......... could you lead me to the apple cart you took the apple from?"

"Y-yes y-your highness," the foal says, and soon leads her to the cart he had gotten it from.

When they got to the apple cart, Twilight recognized someone she had bumped into on several occasions. It was Granny Smith, famous for the legendary Zap Apple Jam. "Why Howdy Princess Twilight. Ah read somewhere in the paper somepony in yer family has a birthday t-day."

"Hm hm, hello there Granny Smith I was here to have this young colt here return the apple he took from you and say he is sorry," Twilight says.

"Aw shucks Princess. There ain't nothin' to apologize for. The apples themselves were free, everything else has a price tag on it. That's wut ah tried ta tell the guards, but they wouldn't listen. The apple's all his," Granny says.

"I thought as much, I'm sorry about the guards attitudes little colt. You can go about your day um....." Twilight stopped not knowing the colt's name.

"Oh please call me Pip, your highness," the young four year old colt says.

"Well you can go about your day Pip. Actually would you like to see me at the Castle later on with your family. I'm sure you could use a good meal," the young princess says, feeling sympathy for him.

"I, I really couldn't impose your majesty. It's your birthday after all," Pip says.

"That's why I am inviting you. I want you to come to dinner for my birthday," Twilight says.

"Well, I'll see what my mom says, your majesty, thank you," Pip says.

"No problem little pony," Twilight says.

Pip bows and soon runs towards home to tell his mother. "Princess Twilight, that's a sweet thing ya did for him. You remind me a lot about my eldest granddaughter," Granny says.

"Oh, and where is she?" Twilight asks, not even think about asking for a name.

"Went to Manehatten ta visit the Oranges and see how they live once again ta maybe bring a few ideas back to the farm. It's nice to know she wants to stay on the farm, but it makes me wonder wut she sees in the Oranges that's so great your highness," Granny says.

"Well I think I will buy an apple fritter from you today, seeing as you don't have any Zap Apple Jam this time round. Guess I should have come earlier, huh?" Twilight says.

"Feathers on the goat, if I'da known you were comin', I would've saved a batch. I'll be sure ta save a batch next time the Apple family comes, your majesty," Granny says as she hands Twilight the fritter.

"Thank you very much Granny, I'll see you next time you're in Canterlot," Twlight says.

"Lookin' foward ta it, your highness," Granny says.

Soon Twilight walks off while levitating her apple fritter and politely eating it as royals do. "That was a kind thing you did back there for that colt your highness," Shining said.

"Well the little guy was so cute, even when scared. I just couldn't help it but to invite him. He seems like such a nice foal, and kind of reminds me of myself," Twilight says.

"Really? How so Princess?" Shining asks looking down at her.

"Well he's very timid like I was, and still am, but he also had a kind heart. He didn't insult the guards when they were in the wrong," Twilight says.

"I see. Well we better head back to the castle. I better be there to let the rest of the guards know that Pip and his family are coming to dinner," Shining says.

"Alright, I wonder what's going on at the castle that everypony inside is so busy, they can't even talk to me," Twilight says.

"Beats me," Shining says, trying not to blow his cover.

They soon arrived at the castle and Twilight was hurried in for a bath. While Shining let the guards know Pip's family would be at the party. She was wondering why everyone was pampering her for a regular dinner, and being the brainiac she was, didn't even think Birthday Party. Soon the hand maids finished up and put Twilight's crown and shoes on. After they were through, Twilight headed downstairs towards the dining room. It seemed awfully quiet and all she saw were the guards in the hallway. Some of them seemed to be hiding a smirk Twilight could barely notice. Once she made it to the doors of the dining room, she took a deep breath and opened it. The next thing that happened caught her completely off guard.

"SURPRISE!!!!!" yelled everypony in the room.

Pip, his mother, all of the royal family, Pony Joe, the castle servants, Fancy Pant's, some of Twilight's classmates and even Shining Armor and his family were there. Spike was asleep at this time in the the room that the servants had arranged him to stay in. "Wa-was this what you were all preparing for today?"

"Yes Twilight, and we just needed to find someway to get you out of the castle so you wouldn't spoil your own surprise," Celestia says to her daughter.

"So that's what all that clothing Fancy Pants had carried was for, how did I miss that?" Twilight asked herself.

"Well we're quite thankful you didn't realize the clothing was for this party. And I was lucky enough to find a suit for Pip here and for his mother as well," Fancy Pants says.

"Yes, but now it is time for the party to begin, Cadence if you will," Celestia said.

With that Cadence went to a rope and pulled. Soon, balloons of all colors fell from the ceiling and Cadence says, "Let's get this party started."

Soon there was music and game being played and Twilight being the guest of honor, participated in all of them. Soon the Time came to blow out the candles on the cake and everypony sang 'Happy Birthday' to Twilight. She finally blew out her eight candles, and none remained lit. "Aw, no special somepony for my little sister this year," Cadence says.

"Cadence," Twilight said trying to get off the subject of boys.

Cadence merely chuckled. "So what did you wish for your highness?" Shining asked.

"Can't tell you, sorry Shining," Twilight says.

"Curses, I thought I'd get you this time Princess," Shining Armor said.

"Maybe next time," Twilight says.

Soon the party had ended and everypony headed back to their regular business, except the Princesses. Princess Celestia had pulled her daughters into her room, had them lay on her bed and said, "Twilight, I know It's been a while since you got your cutie mark, but I was waiting for the right time to give you this."

Celestia levitated a chest and set it down in front of Twilight and told her to open it. When Twilight did, the chest revealed a silver necklace that in the very middle had a gem of the pink star of her cutie mark inside it. She gasped as she saw it. "It has a special spell upon it so that as you grow, so does the necklace so it will always fit. It took us a while to find the gem to place in there. I hope you like it," Celestia says.

"Mother I love it. Now all three of us have a necklace with our cutie marks on it. Thank you so much," Twilight says as she hugs her mother.

"I knew you would like it. Now let's try it on," her mother says.

Soon Twilight soon levitates the necklace and walks over to the mirror to put it on. She had gotten it around her neck, but couldn't connect the end peaces. "Here, let me help," Celestia says as she chuckles.

Soon the ends were connected, and Twilight was admiring herself for a second before saying, "You're right mom, it does fit. (yawn) And I hope to wear it all the time."

"Well I certainly hope not all the time. Those would be very uncomfortable in bed," Cadence said, hinting it was getting late.

"Okay, not all the time. (yawn) Wow that party has me tuckered out. Better get some sleep for tomorrow," Twilight says.

Celestia nuzzles her daughter and says, "Well have a good rest my little pony. I love you."

"Love you too mom," Twilight says.

Cadence and Celestia exchange their good nights and I love you's while nuzzling each other and soon Cadence follows her sister out of the room. "Love you little sis, have a good night," Cadence says.

"I love you too big sis, and you have a good sleep as well," Twilight says.

The two princesses nuzzle each other and soon head to their chambers and take off their jewelry. Twilight had a little trouble, but soon got the hang of it after five minutes. and finally set her jewelry down and took her shoes off. Soon all three princesses were asleep and ready for what tomorrow would bring.

Author's Note:

End of chapter three. Hope you enjoyed. So Twilight has met some of the pony folk from Ponyville, but she doesn't know it yet. she finally found her courage to stand up for someone. Wonder what will happen when she gets to ponyville and finds some of them there. Only time will tell. Sorry if Granny Smith and Fancy pants didn't sound quite right, I tried my best. please comment and tell me what you think. I'll update when I can. Please stay tuned. Oh should it be 'somepony' or 'some pony'?