• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 32,494 Views, 432 Comments

The Magic Within - Night--Mist



Sometimes when you want to live up to your family's legacy, all you need to do is to look inside yourself and do what you think is right, with friends to help you find your way.

  • ...
65
 432
 32,494

An Unrecorded History and The Mission

An Untold History and The Mission

Once Everypony was situated Celestia began her story and said, "Twilight, Cadence, more then a thousand years before either of you were born, our land was a dark and treacherous place. Due to the draconiquise, Discord, the ponies stood divided, brother fighting brother, sister fighting sister and so on. Those who seeked to restore harmony to our now chaotic land turned to us two alicorns as a last resort. But their request had come a fraction too late. All though we alicorns were powerful, we had grown weak from a recent battle with Discord and did not have the strength to take him on."

"Wait hold on. I thought we alicorns couldn't be drained of magic," Cadence said.

"Rest assured, we do have magic that will always dwarf that of any other pony, but we can be weakened, as Twilight found out, battling Nightmare Moon," Celestia said.

"Okay, okay, continue," Twilight said.

Celestia then said, "To continue, when they had first found your aunt and myself, we were in a weakened state and did not have the strength at the time to defeat Discord. Many ponies who sought us out had left, thinking all hope had been lost. But six ponies stayed by our side and brought us back to full health. During their time of caring for us, one unicorn and I grew closer as friends. He was a powerful unicorn, one that was as powerful as you father. For a while we stayed together and one night we took our relationship farther. The following month, I felt a presence of magic that I had never sensed before. It soon dawned on me that I was to have a foal soon. Whether he would be an alicorn or not, it was unknown to me. After 11 months of carrying him within me, your brother's life finally began in Equestria as the third alicorn.

As the years passed, he had become very powerful and his magic was beginning to equal the power of Luna and myself when his teenage years were coming to an end, he was especially strong in the works of ice and snow, and his cutie mark was that of a group of snow flakes and he became known as Glacies, prince of ice or prince of winter, to everypony in secret, but his power was still weaker than ours at the time. We kept him safe as long as we could and searched for other solutions to stop Discord, for I did not want to put your brother in danger, just as I would not want to put you two in danger, but with Nightmare Moon, I knew you, Twilight were the only one who could stop her and it made my heart feel torn to put you through that."

Tears started to form in her eyes as Luna and Twilight put their hooves on her shoulders to calm her down and tell her it was alright. The maids soon came in and handed them their snacks before walking out once more. "Back to the story, we knew that one day Celesita, Glacies and I could stop Discord on our own without help, however, your brother's magic could not go unseen by Discord forever and one day Discord had sensed him. Discord knew if Glacies ever reached his full potential, Discord's reign of chaos would come to an end by the three of us," Luna took over for a brief moment.

"But it did come to an end," Twilight pointed out.

"True, but I haven't gotten to that part yet," Celestia said and continued, "Now as I was saying, It soon became clear to Discord he would have to do something to stop my son in order to ensure his reign continued, and he followed your brother's magical presence to find him. Luna and I realized that Discord was coming for us and we had to face him. Your brother knew it was up to us to finish off Discord, but he did not want to put anypony else in danger. He took off to face Discord on his own. It was on that day Luna and I had learned about the Elements of Harmony and how to use them. By the time we were able to wield their power together, we only then noticed your brother had taken off to face Discord and I still scold myself to this day for that.

We flew as fast as we could after him, but by the time we had gotten to him, he and Discord were already putting up a ferocious fight. As we arrived, victory seemed near for Glacies, but Discord had one more trick up his sleeve. He cast a spell at your brother that would do no more than play a prank on him. And as he was preoccupied with blocking what he thought was an attack, Discord teleported himself behind your brother and cast another spell. By the time Luna and I had been able to see what was happening, it was too late. We tried to reach your brother in time but the spell hit him, and he vanished. I thought I had lost my only son to the magic of Discord forever and was filled with rage. Had it not been for Luna's presence however, I may have lost my ability to wield the elements in my anger.

We knew what we had to do as we stayed calm and in harmony, and when Discord least expected it, we rose up, and put him in his prison of stone, which now sits in the Canterlot gardens under our careful watch. Since Discord's imprisonment, whatever records were kept of what happened before and after Discords defeat, I made sure the historians left out the part of my sons existence, for I did not want to have to be reminded of his defeat and supposed death through books. It was enough for the winter to remind me of him, and it still does today. Most of that wound healed over time, for I knew your brother would not want me to stay devastated in his absence, but it has never fully healed."

"So how was it you found out Glacies was still alive?" Cadence said.

"Well as thou may have noticed, there is a blizzard that has stretched to nearly every part of Equestria," Luna said.

"Yes we did realize that Aunty, and what have we said about using the traditional language around us?" Twilight asked.

"Sorry, got carried away. Well, anyways when we were still raising your brother, your mother and I told him to send us the most obvious sign that could tell us he was in trouble. He knew a mere snow storm in one area, even if it were summer, would not be enough. But if he sent a blizzard powerful enough to effect all of Equestria, we would know he was in trouble, and in this case still alive," Luna said.

"That's right, once we realized his magical presence was there as well, I cast a location spell to find him. And every time I was met with the same direction. It appears your brother Glacies is located north of here, almost at the top of our world, and he needs help. I can barley hear his voice through telepathy so I can't figure out what he has been trying to tell me aside from the fact he needs help. That is another reason I have summoned you here. I can think of nopony better then my own two daughters to go and help their older brother," Celestia said.

"Wha- mom, surely there must be somepony more qualified for the job," Cadence said.

"Saving Aunty Luna was one thing, but enduring the dangers of the north is completely another mom," Twilight said.

"I understand you are feeling afraid and I don't blame you. But there is nopony else powerful enough to save him then the two of you. Luna and I must keep order in the kingdom, and either one of us going would cause an uproar and your cousin, of course would fight to have his way if he were to find one of us was gone and one of you filled the spot. If we send the two of you however, there may be curious rumors to your absence, but politics would go on as they should for the kingdom. We will be sending Shining Armor and his most trusted guards with you. His second in command will stay here to fill in the spot for him until you have returned," Celestia said.

"But, what about my friends and Spike, will they come too? I'd hate to leave them behind like that, after all we went through," The lavender princess said.

"I'm sorry dear, but as amazing as your friends are and how much strength they have shown in using the Elements of Harmony, and not to mention all you have been through together, they will have to sit this one out. I'm sure they would do anything to help you, but this is something that you and Cadence must do together, nopony else," Celestia said.

"Look at the bright side little sis, we get to spend family time together," Cadence exclaimed trying to cheer up her sister.

"Hmhmhm, I guess you're right big sis, and we have Shining coming with us as well. It could be fun in a sense. We'll do it," Twilight replied.

"Thank you so much my daughters, and already plotting against Shining Armor and his fellow stallions I see," Celestia said chuckling.

"Exactly," the two sisters say in unison.

"Well I love you both and this will certainly prove to bring our family closer together. Now tonight we will need to arrange for you the proper things you will need for the trip to the frozen north tomorrow and then Luna and I will see you both off," Celestia said.

"Uh, one more thing mother, when will my friends know about this?" Twilight asked as they walk out of the family quarters.

"They will be told once you and Cadence have taken off," Celestia said.

"Okay," Twilight said as they take of to the let the castle staff know, along with the guards.

As they spent the rest of the day together Twilight and Cadence were given a clear description of what their brother looked, which would be an alicorn with a sky blue coat, a mane white as snow, eyes of dark purple and a cutie mark that was a group of Snow flakes, situated in a circle with a large one in the middle like Twilight's star.

The next morning the young princesses prepared for what would certainly be a long trip to the frozen north and had packed proper gear. They knew they would need extra clothing for the north and would need plenty of food and water. They felt it was unnecessary and annoying to have the number of guards assigned to them come with them, but with their mother worrying about them, they went along with it. They knew the guards were more then eager to take care of any small issues they could handle on their own. It was the bigger problems they might run into that made the two young royal sisters worry about the guards coming with them. Once every thing was packed and the guards were ready to pull the princesses sleigh, Princess Celestia gave her daughters one last long nuzzle as they stood outside the front doors of the castle. "Now you two be careful up there. Any sign of a major threat, get yourselves and the guards out of there," Celestia said with urgency in her voice, knowing no matter how bad she wanted somepony else to go, it would have to be her daughters.

"Don't worry mom, we will, and we'll bring back our brother safely," Twilight said as she and Cadence pulled out of the nuzzle.

"We won't let you down mother," Cadence said.

"That's the spirit my little ponies, now go on, don't keep your brother waiting," Celestia said.

"Be sure to give that nephew of mine a good bonk on the head," Luna said.

"For what Aunty Luna?" Twilight asked curiously.

"For waiting so long to ask for help from his family," Luna said.

"I'm sure he has his reasons Aunty, but we will be sure to let him know," Cadence said as she and Twilight imagined the look on their brother's face and giggled.

"Well we shouldn't keep you waiting any longer, the day is still young and the sooner you accomplish this mission, the sooner you can get back and I know all of you are safe," Celestia said.

"Mom, your overreacting, don't worry, we can take on any surprises from the north," Cadence said.

"Yeah, and besides Shining Armor is with us, and he's a powerful unicorn in his own right," Twilight said.

"I know, but I'm your mother. It's my job to worry about you," Celestia said.

"And it's your job to worry about our brother mom. The sooner we get him out of the north, the sooner we can get him home and safe with his family, where he belongs," Cadence says.

"Good luck you two, be brave and be safe," Celestia said.

"We will, good bye mom, bye Aunty Luna," Cadence said as she and Twilight head to the sleigh and climb aboard the interior that had been enchanted to keep them warm.

"We'll be sure to write as often as we can," Twilight said as they waved to their mother and Aunt.

"You better," Celestia said she and Luna waved back.

The sleigh soon took off into the distance and Luna said, "You certainly have remarkable daughters my sister, makes me wonder if I should ever settle down with a special somepony and have foals of my own."

"Maybe one day you will Luna, I'm sure your special somepony is out there, you just haven't found him yet," Celestia said.

"Hm, still I worry about my nieces, do you really think they are ready for this task?" Luna asked.

"I know they're ready little sister, I wouldn't have sent them if I had any doubt. I'm just so happy that they will get to meet their big brother and I will be with my son again, and you your nephew," Celestia said.

"For the first time in a thousand years and then some, my favorite alicorn nephew is coming home," Luna said.

"Luna, he's your only alicorn nephew," Celestia said as she smirked widely at her sisters comment.

"There's a difference?" Luna asked in a joking manner, making her and her sister laugh.

Soon the Alicorns of day and night walked back into the castle to take care of the day to day politics. Twilight and Cadence were soon swapping conversation about how much they had done over the past months as their sleigh pulled them farther and farther north. Twilight told Cadence of the many adventures she had in ponyville, and was settling in to the idea of silence of Ponyville compared to the hustle and bustle of Canterlot. Very soon, their slay disappeared from Canterlot's view and Canterlot disappeared from their's as the sleigh pulled them closer towards their long lost brother, not knowing if any major dangers lied ahead.

Author's Note:

End of chapter eleven. I hope everypony enjoyed it. Discord hadn't killed their brother, he sent him to the frozen north, and he is stuck there. It's up to his younger siblings to wield their power together and set him free. What will happen along the journey? How will they react once they see him for the first time? How will he react? What will happen once he's returned? Only one way to find out. I hope to hear good comments and constructive criticism for my story. I thank everypony who has help me along the way. As always, please read and comment. and I will update when I can. Stay tuned.