• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 32,475 Views, 432 Comments

The Magic Within - Night--Mist



Sometimes when you want to live up to your family's legacy, all you need to do is to look inside yourself and do what you think is right, with friends to help you find your way.

  • ...
65
 432
 32,475

We have a Brother?

We Have a Brother?

It was early in the morning on a winters day. It had been a long tie since Luna had taught Twilight to bring forth the stars at night. At first, Luna had to help her out, but about a week or so of training, it became second nature to her. Once Her family felt they had a handle on things, they took off to Canterlot and told her to visit when she could. Since then, she and her friends had experienced many trials that taught them the value of friendship and helped them face new challenges, and of course Twilight had told them to start calling her twilight rather then addressing her formally.

One trial was when Twilight had been invited with her friends to the Grand Galloping Gala after a bit of deciding on who should go until they all got tickets. Another trial came when twilight had been convinced Zecora was an evil enchantress , when all she really was doing was making a cure for poison joke that they had fallen victim to. Even another trial was when a mare named Trixie had boasted about her magic, claiming she was great and powerful. Many other trials followed, but the six friends and their fellow townsponies got through them together.

Now in these months of snow and ice, everypony was doing their best to make it enjoyable, but as of recent, an unforeseen blizzard that was out of the pegasi's control had recently hit, making some jobs for winter a bit harder for everypony to deal with, but it was of no surprise to them, for these had been common occurrences in Ponyville for generations. They had thought nothing of it and went along with the extra hassle the winter had brought, till they discovered this blizzard proved to extend to many parts of Equestria, baffling many ponies. Twilight thought some Magic beyond her and her families power to control was the cause of it and didn't worry too much about it.

She made her way to Pinkie Pies Place at Sugar Cube Corner, where her friends were waiting for a winter get together. As soon as she walked in the door her friends greeted her with a warm welcome. "Hey Twilight, do want to try this new type of hot chocolate I made?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Maybe another time Pinkie Pie, I just want the regular type you usually make," Twilight says, remembering last time she tried one of Pinkie Pie's new recipes, she ended up having upset stomach for three days, no matter what she made to help it go away.

"Oki doki loki," Pinkie Pie says as She and Twilight head into the room to talk with their friends.

The girls were having a great time chatting about things that happened over the past few days, when all of the sudden Pinkie Pie started shuddering big time. Twilight knew from past experience at Froggy Bottom Bogs that it meant there was a doosy on the way about something no pony would expect, and she said, "I wonder what those shudders were all about?"

"Don't know, but it's gonna happen, (another shudder and a gasp) when you go to Canterlot Twilight," Pinkie pie Said.

"I wonder when that's gonna happen," Twilight asked rhetorically.

Just then, Spike clenched his stomach, before burping up a letter. "Well, that was fast, and a bit ironic," Twilight says.

"What's it say Twi?" Applejack asks.

"Well let me read it so we can find out," Twilight says.

"Here you go Twilight," Spike says, handing her the letter.

"My dear daughter Twilight, your aunt and I have some urgent news that you and Cadence must know about and I must ask you to do something that is important. I also must ask that you come alone. Your friends and Spike will be told in due time of what news you will hear about, but this is a private matter you and your sister must find out first before it is known to any other pony. Your Aunt Luna and I will await you and you sister in the family quarters later this afternoon, I have a ticket for you to board the next train taking off in thirty minutes after you read this letter. We are all looking forward to seeing you today and hope you have been well. I hope you can forgive me for the sudden urgency to summon you here to Canterlot. Your loving mother, Princess Celestia," Twilight read and her friends are all in a state of shock at this.

"Ah wonder what so urgent that both your ma and aunt need ta see ya. Ah sure hope it's nothin bad," Applejack said.

"Oh I do hope they don't make you stay in Canterlot for some reason Twilight. That would be so uncouth of them to do such a thing," Rarity added.

"Nah, my Pinkie senses would sense it right away. What if they have a party for you back home?" Pikie Pie asked.

"Uh, if they were holding a party, I'm sure they would have you planning it Pinkie," Rainbow Dash pointed out.

"Maybe they need you to do something dark and sinister," Fluttershy says.

"Girls, I'm sure it's nothing bad, but it will be unexpected with the way Pinkie Pie's senses went haywire a second ago," Twilight said.

"Well lets get our stuff packed," Spike said as he was beginning to walk out the door.

"Sorry Spike, but the letter said I need to go alone. You'll have to stay here with one of the girls," Twilight said.

"Count me out," Rainbow Dash said.

"I'll take care of him for you, Twilight," Rarity said, before the others could get a word in.

"Are you sure?" Twilight asked.

"Of course, he can help me gather gems that are buried in the ground so I have them for my latest fashion designs, and I have spare bed for him to sleep in so we'll be fine," Rarity said.

Spike was blushing furiously, for the one pony he had a crush on was letting him stay at her place. "Alright, well I better head home and get my stuff packed," Twilight said.

"No need for that, it's already done your majesty," said a familiar stallion's voice walking into the sweet shop.

"Shining Armor, what in Equestria are you doing here?" Twilight asked.

"Your mother sent me and a few of my guards I command early this morning to fetch you and make sure you didn't miss the train your highness and we went to the library while you were out and packed your belongings. We are sorry to pull you away like this, but your mother's being quite serious that you come your highness," Shining Armor said.

"I understand, sorry about this girls, but I have to get going," Twilight says.

"No worries your majesty, we'll be fine till you get back. Just make sure your back in one piece, if you know what I mean Twi," Applejack said, remembering a few times Twilight had a few gears wound the wrong direction.

"Don't worry, I will. I'll see as soon as I can girls and you too Spike," Twilight said as she headed out the door with Shining Armor.

"Bye Twilight," All her friends say in unison.

Twilight felt sad about leaving her friends, but was happy she was able to see her family that she had not seen since Princess Luna's first Nightmare Night in Equestria three months before. After a long train ride and a chit chat on how Shining Armor's and Cadence's relationship was going, the train finally made it's stop in Canterlot, many guards awaiting her on the platform. "Wow, didn't expect this many guards," Twilight stated.

"Your mother wants to avoid the press asking you a pile of questions that she is sure are to happen. With you coming into the city unannounced, it will interest them most likely. We didn't want to risk it or the trip to the castle would take longer your highness," Shining Armor says.

"I believe it. Well let's get going," Twilight says.

The guards soon escort Twilight to the castle and once inside the castle walls, Shining Armor escorts her to their families private quarters, where the rest of the family is waiting for her. Once Shining Armor took his leave and Twilight trotted inside, Cadence said as she entered, "Twiliy. It's so good to see you again."

"Cadence," Twilight exclaimed.

"Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake, clap your hooves and do a little shake," they chanted and laughed together before they hugged each other.

"Great to see you too big sis, I've missed you all. But I know that this isn't just a family get together, and is something of great importance, isn't mom?" Twilight asked.

"Yes it is, I hope you forgive me for pulling you out of Ponyville so suddenly," Celestia says to her youngest daughter.

"Don't worry mom, I forgive you. As far as everypony knows back in Ponyville, I'm here for political reasons or something of the nature," Twilight says.

"Well you and you sister will want to set yourselves down for this," Celestia says to her children.

"What has happened that you are keeping secret form everypony else right now mother, if you don't mind me asking?" Cadence asks.

"Yes, what is this urgent news?" Twilight adds.

"I didn't want to tell the two of you this before, for I didn't know how you would take it, and I feel even now you will feel hurt hearing this and may not want to talk to me for a while," Celestia started.

"Mother, if it is something that was important to keep from us, we will understand the reasoning, we promise," Twilight said and Cadence nodded in agreement.

"Well, this may be hard to believe, but, the two of you have an older brother," Luna said.

"What?" Twilight and Cadence asked in unison.

"There is another Alicorn in this family who is not here right now and we have only just discovered he is alive," Celestia said.

"W-what's his name mom?" Twilight asked still recovering from her initial shock.

"His name is Glacies, the prince of ice, or prince of winter if you prefer," Celestia said.

(note: Glacies means ice in Latin)

"Why have we never seen, heard or read about Glacies before mother?" Cadence asked, as her and Twilight were curious to find out more secrets about their family's history.

"Well, this story may take a while so I'll have the maids fetch us some food for some snacks," Celestia said.

Soon she heads to the doors and tells the maids to bring her and her family their favorite dishes for their snack to have some family time and the maid soon takes off with a few other castle servants to fetch the food. Soon Celestia laid down in the circle with her family and began the story of her son Glacies.

Author's Note:

End of Chapter Ten. Hope you all enjoy it. I thought stopping before Celestia told the story might add some suspense to want to read the next chapter. I will be putting up chapter eleven soon after so the readers don't die of anticipation of how this long lost brother was found again. I would like to thank and give credit to Twilight Best Pony for helping me with starting this idea and the next few chapters will reside around this idea. What happened to Glacies? Where is he now? What will happen now that he has been revealed? Well everypony will have to wait and find out. I'm sorry about the long wait, but I had other ideas popping into my head and I had hit a snag with this story that I wasn't sure where to take it next, So I have Twilight Best Pony to thank for that as well. Thank you very much Twilight Best Pony. I hope everypony likes this new twist to the story and hope to hear positive comments and constructive criticism as always, and please no flames. Please do read and comment. I will update soon, stay tuned as always.