• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 12,867 Views, 242 Comments

Light in the Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book I. A unicorn, alone and friendless, has drifted on through life, unnoticed by all. He thinks little of himself, sees himself as nothing and hides a special power. Can the Mane Six change the way he sees things?

  • ...
10
 242
 12,867

Hush Now, Quiet Now

"These books just never get old," Dusk remarked to himself, as he turned the pages of Sapphire Stone, lying on his couch in his living room.

Winter was at last here. He could see outside the snow that covered the ground, ponies walking by, dressed in scarves, woollen hats and snow boots. Little fillies and colts were enjoying the snow, throwing snowballs or building snow ponies. Everypony was now on a holiday for winter, taking time off working until spring returned. Dusk was included in this.

It had been a good few days since the Running of the Leaves, when he'd last ventured somewhere that wasn't the library and thoroughly enjoyed himself Twilight had given him time off for winter, and he was choosing today to spend it at home, curled up with a book It was fine, at first... but then he remembered what the Princess had told him.

He had taken a sort of personal vow, to just focus on his work, remain friends with Twilight and just leave the others alone. But the Princess was the reason he was even having these thoughts in the first place, the reason why he was here and was friends with a unicorn who he hoped would truly understand him. For that, he was truly thankful

But he wasn't going to be seeing Twilight today, as he wasn't in the library working. By his reckoning, he'd spent a lot of time with her. Not that that was a bad thing, but he did think about the others. Did they really miss him, wonder what he was doing? It was these thoughts that compelled him to put away his book, and get ready to go outside.

Maybe he would go and visit somepony. He could read his books anytime, he had the time now. Plus, he considered this as another hinted opportunity from the Princess. She hadn't steered him wrong so far. He slipped on his scarf and left the house.

The cold winter chill hit him as he stepped outside. It wasn't too bad, as he was protected by his warm, fur coat. Dusk, however, resolved that he should probably get some more proper winter-wear, unless he wanted to catch a cold.

The trees were now completely bare; their leaves having been cleared up off the ground, which was now blanketed by snow. Plants were no longer in flower, pegasus ponies were leading birds South to spend the winter, as well as preparing clouds to snow, and little critters were getting ready to enter hibernation. With more snow forecasted for tonight, winter was definitely here.

"Now, who should I visit?" he asked himself, his hooves crunching in the snow.

Twilight and Spike were ruled out, of course. Applejack would want to be spending time with her family, so she was discounted. Rarity was probably busy, he figured, Rainbow was most likely resting in a cloud somewhere and he didn't even know where to start looking for Pinkie Pie. Then, he remembered seeing Fluttershy at the Iron Pony contest, smiling shyly at him. Perhaps go and see her...

He was just wondering how to find her house, did she live in Cloudsdale perhaps, when a snowball hit him in the back of the head. Surprised, but not angry, he spun to look at the guilty culprit.

"Woops! Sorry, mister!" Three fillies halted their game, and trotted up to him.

Like the girls, it was an equally balanced little trio. The pegasus had fur of dull orange, her mane being purple, the unicorn was white with lilac and the earth pony, the one looking most guilty, had cream coloured fur and a red mane, with a pink bow tied at the back.

"Sorry, mister," she said again, "ah wasn't meant to hit ya..."

"It's okay," Dusk assured them, shaking snow away. "Just an accident, I don't blame you." Her voice had a familiar twang to it; he noted and it made him think... "Hey, are you by chance, Applejack's little sister?"

"Sure am, mister," she said proudly. "How'd ya guess?"

"I suppose, you could say I'm psychic," he joked. "No, she mentioned you, and just... you know... family resemblance."

"You know ma sister?" She looked him over, then her smile widened. "You mus' be Dusk! She told me about you too!"

"She... she did?" He was rather touched that she had.

"Dusk? Who the heck is that?" asked the pegasus pony.

"I know who he is, my sister mentioned him too," piped up the unicorn. "She said he was a polite and gracious kind of colt."

"What does 'gracious' mean?" inquired the earth pony.

"I dunno, that's what she said," she answered, looking back up at Dusk. "My sister, Rarity, said she had you over for tea. She says you're her friend, but that you don't see her and the others much. How come?"

"Yes well… I'm always busy… working…" He cleared his throat, steering them away from the subject. "So, who are you three then?"

"Oh yeah, you don't know us." The Pegasus stepped forward. "Name's Scootaloo."

"I'm Sweetie Belle," introduced the unicorn. "It's nice to meet you, Mr Dusk."

"And ah'm Applebloom, and together we're…"

"THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" they announced loudly in unison.

"We'll leave no stone unturned!"

"No mountain unclimbed!"

"No meal uncooked!"

"No song unlearned!"

"UNTIL WE GET OUR CUTIE MARKS, YEAH!"

"Cutie Mark… Crusaders?" That was when he noticed their flanks were completely unmarked. "So… you've all come together… to discover your special talents?"

"Exactly," Scootaloo confirmed. "We'll do whatever it takes, however long it takes, to discover our talents and earn our cutie marks."

"What's your's, Mr Dusk?" Applebloom looked to his, his rolled-out scroll. "That's kinda like the Mayor's... do ya work for her?"

"No... I work in the library." He looked to his flank. "Mine is knowledge and learning, of whatever most fascinates me or intruiges me. Whatever it is, I learn all I can about it, until there's nothing left to learn. Got me good grades at school..."

"Aw, we already tried that one," Sweetie Belle said disappontedly.

"Eh, that sounds boring anyway," remarked Scootaloo. "Come on, let's get back to seeing if we have talents in snowball fighting!"

"Well, good luck with that. Oh, wait!" He stopped them before they ran off. "Can you tell me where Fluttershy lives?"

"Sure we can! CUTIE MARK CURSADERS- LOCATION FINDERS!" They all started pointing and explaining.

"Just head down this road..."

"...go down Apple Avenue..."

"...past Sugarcube Corner..."

"...along by Hay Street..."

"...turn left an' go straight on from there..."

"...you can't miss it!" Finished Sweetie Belle. As soon as they finished, they all checked their flanks. They waited, but there was no result. "Awww..."

"Thank you, Crusaders. Sorry about your marks, I'm sure you'll get them soon enough," he encouraged, walking in the direction they indicated. He could still hear them, as they trotted off.

"Well, that didn't work," noted Scootaloo.

"Maybe we gotta wait till he finds it, then we'll get 'em!" suggested Applebloom.

"What would cutie marks for location finders even look like?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Ah dunno... but ah know what one for snowball fightin' might look like." He heard the impact of more snow, and laughter, as he left round the corner and out of sight.

He followed their directions, hoping that they were right. They seemed like a good little group of friends, he thought to himself, as he walked by Sugarcube Corner, if a little enthusiastic. Not like him when he was a foal.

Dusk recalled when he was in school, when he was just as quiet and lonely then, as he was now. Well, maybe not so much now, but he had been friendless. He was, however, the seventh in his class to earn his own mark, after he'd got a high grade on that surprise test. Ponies had payed attention to him for a little after that, but they'd left him alone soon enough. Soon, they would too...

He soon reached Hay Street, turned left as they had instructed and carried straight on, down a country lane of cottages. They said that he wouldn't miss it, meaning that it stood out somewhere from the others. Then, he saw it amd knew what they meant.

It looked as if it had been built underneath a growing bush, almost like it was part of the landscape around it. Nature just emerged from every cranny, though it probably looked better in spring. The small stream was frozen over, and the trees were bare like the others. There seemed to be at least a dozen homes for animals: bird houses, rabbit holes, hanging from trees or acting as part of the house.

She really did like her critters.

He crossed the bridge, approaching the red door. He suddenly didn't feel as sure as he had before. What if she was busy, and didn't want anypony bothering her? Would this be rude, just to drop in on her?

He raised his hoof to knock. Then, he lowered it again. Then bought it up. Lowered it again, this time giving a resigned sigh. She probably would be busy too, he thought, turning to leave.

"Hello? Is... is somepony there?" He turned back to see her, emerging from the side of her house. Her eyes widened in surprise, though she smiled when she saw who it was. "Oh, hello Dusk... what-what are you doing... here?"

"Good afternoon, Fluttershy." He approached tentatively. "I was just... coming to visit you, is all..."

"Really?" She was, again, surprised at the idea.

"I hope that uh... I'm not interrupting you."

"Oh no, not at all." She looked shyly at the ground. "Except... well, um... I suppose I am... doing something, right now..."

"Oh... okay..." He would be lying if he'd said he wasn't disappointed. "I can leave, if you want..."

"No, no." She met him as he walked back. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. You can come in... if you like. Or... you could... help me with what I'm doing. Only if you want to..."

"Of course, I'd love to," he said happily. He jumped her fence, as she led him around the back of her house. "What are you doing?"

"I'm putting all of my little critters into hibernation for winter," she explained. "I was just putting them into their homes... if you'd like to help me..."

"Certainly," he agreed, as they reached a large area, filled with various burrows and holes. "Just tell me what to do."

"Well, for now, could you just... coax them into their homes, please?" Dusk nodded and set to work.

The task Fluttershy had given him was simple enough, as the animals didn't need much coaxing to go into their homes. Most were so sleepy, that they headed off whenever Dusk gently nudged them into their holes, giving big yawns and streches and curling up to save their strength. It was rather satisfying, to see them curl up to sleep.

Fluttershy, of course, had fewer issues than him. She had such a gentle, delicate way of treating the animals. It was like watching a mother with her children, almost as if she communicated with them on another level. The only one she seemed to have trouble with was with a particularly adamant white rabbit, who looked to be point-blank refusing to go into his hole.

"Come on Angel, go on down," she gently told him. The rabbit, Angel, crossed his arms and shook his head. "Please Angel, do it for mummy?" Refusal was met with. "Come on Angel, all of your other little friends are..."

Dusk, seeing she needed help, walked up behind her and looked at Angel. "Angel, I think it would be best if you listened to her."

The rabbit cocked an eyebrow at him, but he still refused.

"Angel, there's no need for this." Dusk allowed his horn to start glowing. "If you don't want to go down there, I may just have to make you."

That did it. He jumped in fright, glared resentfully at Dusk, grabbed the little nightcap that Fluttershy was holding for him and stomped into the rabbit hole with the others. Now that was satisfying, thought Dusk. He turned to Fluttershy, who looked grateful.

"Thanks Dusk, but... did you have to be so... forceful?"

Immediately feeling ashamed, Dusk went red. "S-s-sorry... it just seemed like... that uh, he needed... a firm hoof..."

"Perhaps you're right," she agreed. "Thank you again, I'm not really very good with... taking charge, like that..."

"Neither am I," Dusk admitted. "I thought that, since asking him nicely wasn't working, perhaps a little show of force would. I um... wanted to see if it might work."

"Well, I'm glad it did." She lifted herself up with her wings, heading towards her house. "Now, we need to make sure they're all tucked up, nice and cosy."

Dusk waited for her in the glade, as she entered her house to get something. After a few minutes, she came back out again, with a wooden box clutched in her mouth. Dusk recognised it as an old music box, well carved and cared for.

"I need to sing them a lullaby," she explained once more, "just to make sure all the critters get to sleep okay."

"Fire away then," he encouraged, standing back and letting her do her stuff. She opened the box, which began playing a slow, tinkling tune. Fluttershy, in a soft, calming voice, began to sing:

Hush now, quiet now
It's time to lay your sleepy head
Hush now, quiet now
It's time to go to bed...

She really did have a wonderful singing voice, thought Dusk. Even his eyes began to feel a little heavy as she sung on, like he would doze off right there in the snow. He could hear yawns coming from the holes, indicating her lullaby was having the intended effect. A few minutes in, she beckoned him over.

"That's lovely, Fluttershy. Great work," he whispered.

"Thank you, that's nice of you to say so. Would you like to try?" she asked sincerely.

"R-really? You... want me to have a go?"

"Only if you want to, of course..." She stood back a little, as Dusk considered.

He didn't think of himself as much of a singer, as he'd never really sung in his life. It might sound awful, as far as he knew. He did, however, know one lullaby, that his mother used to sing to him when he was a foal. He might as well try...

He cleared his throat, recalled the lyrics and sang, as gently as he could:

There, little bird, in the orange sky
Over the silver peaks, so high
Oh where do you wander? Where do you roam?
And when, will you, come home?
Oh when, will you, come home?

He faltered, as he waited to start again. He glanced back unsurely at Fluttershy, who gave him support in the form of another gentle smile. Returning it, and feeling his eyes becoming moist, he struck up again:

Oh little bird, where will, you fly?
Above the world, as time passes by?
Can't I come with you? Can't you just stay?
Or, doesn't work that way?
Oh doesn't work that way?

Oh little bird, you're far away.
Perhaps somewhere's night, or else, its day
So I shall stay here, and I shall not mourn
And hope for the day, you'll return.
And hope for the day you'll return.

His song ended, just as the music from the box ended. The glade was now filled with the gentle snoozing from the hibernating animals, all of them now resting, until they would be reawakened in Spring. Until then, my furry friends, thought Dusk, as he quietly crept away with Fluttershy.

"Oh, Dusk..." She gave him a gentle smile, "that was a wonderful lullaby. Wait... what's wrong?"

"Wha...?" Dusk noticed now, that he had been crying. His eyes were wet, some tear-streaks down his face. "Oh..." He wiped away the tears, and sniffed. "Sorry... it's just... been a long time, since I've heard that..."

"Where did you hear it?" she asked, leading him into her house and gazing sympathetically at him.

"My mother... used to sing to it to me, when I was a foal..." He sniffed again, wiping away more tears. "I guess I was just... sad, to be remembering a... simpler time..."

"Well... I'm sorry that I made you sing it, I didn't know it would make you sad... it was still lovely, though..." She looked so ashamed herself, that it made Dusk feel even worse.

"No, no. I wanted to sing it Fluttershy, it's fine," he insisted. "Thank you, for letting me sing it, and for liking it. It... meant a great deal."

"Okay... you're welcome." She gave him another gentle smile, as she set the music box in her living room. "You sung it well too."

"You were a better singer than me," he said modestly, as she offered him a seat.

"You were good too," she replied, blushing a little. "But... thank you anyway. I'll go and make us some tea, I'd say we've earned it..."

"You don't have to... I can just... leave you to it..."

"Oh, it's no trouble at all. It's the least I can do, after you've helped me. I won't be long..."

"Alright... two sugars, thank you, with a little milk." She nodded and left the room.

She trotted off into the kitchen, as Dusk had a look around. The inside was just as pleasant and warm as the outside. It had a very natural decor, with carvings of leaves and plants on the walls and ceiling, complete with even more homes for animals. There were little staircases leading up to small homes, mouse holes in the walls, birdhouses, it seemed endless.

It was all quiet now though, when he was sure it would normally be abuzz with activity. Fluttershy arrived back with some tea, which she offered shyly to Dusk. The second time somepony had him stay for some tea, he thought, but he wouldn't keep her long.

"Thank you," he said, sipping the sweet, warm liquid, as she sat opposite him. "It really is incredible, how you have such a way with animals, you know..."

"That's... nice of you to say so," she replied, blushing a little again. "You seem to do rather well too. I mean, first you helped me with those little duckies and now today..."

"Not as good as you though," he pointed out. "How do you do it, Fluttershy?"

"I can't really explain it," she said timidly. "I just have... a way, of communicating with them, on another level. It's just my special talent..."

"That makes sense, I suppose," Dusk conceded. "Nopony can explain why they're talented at something, they just are."

"Mmhmm, like you." She gave another bright smile. "I can't really explain why I'm so good with animals, and you can't explain why you're clever. You just are..."

"I, uh... wouldn't say clever... I'm competent, at least, I think..."

"Twilight thinks you're really clever, and a great learner, she told me so herself." She sipped her tea again. "I think it's nice when somepony says something good about you, especially if it's one of your good friends."

Dusk felt his cheeks grow hotter. Twilight actually thought he was clever, a great learner? He didn't think he would be as clever as her, she did have the Princess as her teacher of course, but it was nice that she thought so.

"You're right..." He cleared his throat nervously, changing the subject. "You keep uh... quite a lot of animals, don't you?"

"Oh yes," she replied with excitement, but even that was still rather quiet. "I love having animals around me."

"I suppose it'll get a little lonely for you now. Seeing as how most of them are sleeping."

"It can get lonely at winter for me, yes..." she admitted sadly. "But, it's not so bad. I have all of my wonderful friends now, they always manage to find time for me."

"It must be nice." Dusk looked down at his tea, unable to look up at her. "For you, I mean... to have so many ponies that... care for you, make you feel better..."

"Dusk." He looked up at the kind tone she put into saying his name. "My friends are your friends too, you know that right?"

"I guess... maybe..." He didn't really believe that, but he didn't want to say anything like that in front of her.

"What do you mean?" she asked kindly. "Dusk, is there something wrong? Did I make your tea wrong? I'm so sorry, if I did..."

"No, no it's fine... it's just that..." He yawned suddenly, and felt rather drowsy. "I just feel... tired... I suppose that your lullaby and... this tea have helped that along..." He stood up slowly. "I think I'll go home, get some sleep..."

That wasn't the whole truth. He also didn't want to get onto the subject of talking about the others. He'd broken enough of his vow just coming to see Fluttershy, without the possibility of moving onto the rest of her friends. Even Princesses could be wrong, sometimes...

"Oh, alright." She sounded disappointed, but stood up as well. "I'll show you out..." She held the door for him, still smiling as he walked out. "Thank you for your help Dusk. It was nice of you to come and see me..."

"It was nice seeing you too, Fluttershy. Thanks for the tea..." Rather sadly, he set off back towards his home.

Right Dusk, he thought to himself, you had one slip up. From now on, no seeing the rest of them. You know what will happen, it's just going to put more pressure on them and it'll be even worse when they stop trying to talk to you. Just say you're busy reading next time, or doing something. Just don't see them, at all...

Despite this, that little voice down inside was saying otherwise. And it sounded just like Fluttershy:

"My friends are your friends too, you know that right?"

Author's Note:

Wasn't that sweet? And perhaps a little sad too...

Dusk's lullaby was originally written by SqueakAnon, sung by JamJar, for the Doctor Whoof Adventures audio play, Goodnight, Goodnight. It's a lovely tune, and a great series.