• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 24,053 Views, 3,415 Comments

My Little Marriage : Mary is a Mare - MerlosTheMad



Stan has been married to his wife, Mary, for nearly fifteen years. They're happy and live a very normal, almost picturesque life. Sometimes... life has a funny way of pulling a one eighty when you least expect it.

  • ...
87
 3,415
 24,053

Chapter 9 : The Big Reveal And The Aftermath

Anna and Bobby sat beside one another on the couch of the family room, their grandfather Herbert, paced idly in front of them with his hands folded behind his back. His demeanor displayed openly that he was deep in thought. Bobby poked at his cell phone, hardly paying attention to the difficult expression on his face, or Anna for that matter—who was unbeknownst to both of them, trying to not display anything.

"So," Herbert said with sudden vigor. "What I am about to tell the both of you, is top secret. Need to know basis only kids, I mean it! It does concern your mother, sadly, but no crocodile tears. I promise you that she's fine and in high spirits! Now-" A small spatial anomaly breaking the sound barrier suddenly encircled his leg with the force of one thousand kilotons.

"Mom's not gonna DIE!?" The heart broken eyes of Annalise bore up at Herbert doubtfully.

Immediately, Anna and Herbert began trying to talk over one another, towards each other and at Bobby—who rolled his eyes, hunched his shoulders and tried to look completely enraptured with texting. "W-what? No Annabelle! Of course not, and don't tell me you kids already caught wind about this?"

"YOU DEADBEAT! You told me she was DYING!" screamed Anna, directing all of her anger towards her brother.

Bobby covered one ear, before resuming with his texting.

"She's not dying, Anna," Herbert reinforced. "She's fine! I think anyway..."

"You think!?" Anna cried pleadingly back at him, her voice becoming a high pitched squeak.

"I mean she's fine! Why do you think she's dying anyway, kiddo? Bobby, what'd you do? Bobby? Hey put that thing down, this is serious." He took a step towards Bobby, but was cut off.

"I'M GONNA TELL MOM YOU TOLD ME SHE WAS DYING!" Anna flew across the floor to kick Bobby in his shin, hard. Her brother looked up to glare, then sighed and tossed his cellphone onto a side table.

"Come on, Herbert, just tell us the truth. Dad wouldn't act so serious or have even talked to me yesterday if she wasn't really sick, and where's she even been the last few days?" Bobby folded his arms and stared rigidly at his grandfather.

Meanwhile, Anna yelled right into Bobby's ear again. "SHE'S NOT DYING!"

"She's not dying, Robert," Herbert repeated as well.

"Alright fine! Fine!" Bobby threw his hands up and fell backwards against the couch, all while exhaling an annoyed breath. "Look, I don't care anymore, she's not dying!"

"Unless you call getting super powers dying..." Herbert contemplatively tapped his chin and looked at the ceiling.

Both kids went silent and studied the old gray haired man like he was crazy. Finally, Anna spoke up. "Grampa, have you been in your adult drink stuff, again?"

"Grandpa, you know mom hates it when you're drunk over here."

"What!? Kids, it's like seven a.m. I have not been drinking!" He looked wearily between them. "You wouldn't tell Mary if I had been though, right?"

"Something tells me this conversation got way off topic..." Stan interrupted, he was rubbing his face with a small wash towel, fully clothed in his uniform for the day.

"DAD IS MOM DYI-" Anna shouted immediately at him from across the room.

"No, Anna, no she's not..." Stan had wearily dressed as quick as he could while listening to this entire bout of lunacy. I wish I could stay here for this and keep things orderly... "Something did happen though, now look I can't stay..." I could... probably get away with just hanging around for a bit... He had been late the day before though, two days in a row wouldn't make his life any easier. "Just, both of you give her, and your grandparents an easy time, alright? This is gonna be stressful for all of us, especially your mother. It...changes a lot." Anna gave him a look of stark worry and fear, Bobby picked up his cellphone again, and stared irately at it.

"Yeah, all that's happened is she turned into a horse, apparently." Herbert grinned around the room proudly, hands on his hips. "What?" The three sets of eyes stared at him incredulously, Stan burying his face in a hand before turning to leave the room. "Aw come on Stan, you gotta agree that this sounds a little nuts! I'll admit getting my wife to 'play it straight' was a good touch. But! Even with Agnes on your side all day, I'm gonna be a little skeptical."

"Come on dad," Bobby called after Stan. "Tell us the truth, what's killing mom. Unless you really are just tricking us for some reason or whatever, then I don't care." Herbert turned and frowned open mouthed at Bobby to say something, while Stan and Anna spoke first, beating him to the punch.

"Bobby your mother is fine-" The father began.

"MOM'S NOT DYING AS-" Stan skillfully shifted his stare towards Anna and her interruption. "butt-hole...I was gonna say butt-hole." His young daughter murmured.

Stan shook his head defeatedly, and turned to go one last time. "Boy, it is the d- truth. Alright? Just give your mother a chance, and remember what I've been telling you. Dad, call me if anything goes wrong... Actually call me anyway." He paused slightly at the doorway, giving Anna one last reassuring look. "I'll see you all after work, have a good day."

Herbert spoke up and smiled to himself, after Stan left the room entirely. "I mean if it had been too ridiculous to even consider it was fake, like a lemur? Or a pegasus!? Hah! Now that I wouldn't doubt for a second." His two grandkids stared at him, confused.

"You want me to go up first Mary?" Agnes asked. The pony in front of her stared at the basement door as if it were a viper.

"...No." Mary answered. "I'll just head in, and get this over with. I think they'll be too flabbergasted anyway to react much!" She laughed nervously and felt her eye twitch just a little.

Mary's hoof-falls on the basement steps made dull thuds as she began to ascend them. They were as a dirge to her, which sounded her promised doom near at hand. Her eyes ran over every surface of the house which she and Agnes passed, the mudroom's bookshelves and coat racks, the wash room and backdoor... They lingered on nothing longer than a second—until she took one timid step into the family room. Her children's eyes locked with her own the moment that step landed. It occurred to her that Agnes had run up ahead of her, and asked her to wait in the dining room, there had been quite a bit of shouting. She'd gone in anyway.

"Mom...?" Anna asked inquisitively, before taking a few steps towards her. Bobby began to blatantly stare bug eyed from where he stood by the couch, his grandfather, opened a cellphone and took a picture.

FLASH!

"...DAD!?"

"MOM!?"

"HERBERT!"

Thud

The pony, landscaper, nerd and ballerina all turned to look down at the young man laying on the family room floor. "Huh, must run in the family." Agnes said thoughtfully, before waltzing over to Herbert and smacking the back of his head.

Herbert carefully rubbed the back of his head and nursed the welt he could feel reddening underneath his scraggly gray hair. At least she didn't go for the face... he thought in a thankful manner. Wow, she can still hit hard. He considered his wife's surprising tenacity as he watched the three generations of girls before him attempt in vain to rouse Bobby. Me? I'm getting that beer after all. He decided on the spot. Before he turned to go, his eyes locked with a frantic looking, orange colored mare. Can't believe that's really Mary...

Anna's own attention flickered from her grandmother, waving a hand over her stupid brother's stupid face, to her new pony-mom, and then to Bobby—who was drooling to one side into his own hair with the dumbest expression ever. That'll teach you... The happy thought Anna had was brief though. Her hand carefully reached out to touch the blue and vanilla colored hair on her mom's head, who didn't take notice. The little girl's face began to shift from jubilant joy, to worry, and then to confusion, before repeating the circuit once again.

Mary glanced up and stared speechlessly at Anna. Eventually Anna giggled, and poked her mother's nose. "Aah-Ahem, hello... Anna." She let out a nervous laugh under her daughter's scrutiny, while trading even more nervous smiles with her, in between attempts to nudge Bobby awake. Agnes looked up to see what was going on.

Flash!

"Herbert!" Agnes glared at her husband again, phone once more in hand.

"Hey, it's not every day your daughter turns into a horse." Herbert let out an exaggerated laugh that slowed gradually. "So you guys really weren't kidding." The older gent leaned on the stairwell rail and took a sip of his drink.

"Dad! It's like seven in the morning, no beer!" Mary got up to her hooves and paced over to her father-in-law, who raised an eyebrow down at her. On top of that distraction, a sudden weight appeared on Mary's back. "Gaah, Anna? Hey! I am not- Young lady get off of me right now!"

Herbert also responded to Mary by taking another sip of the beverage and hiding it behind his back. Yep, that's Mary alright.

Annalise let out a disappointed aaw, but instead of removing herself from her newly acquired method of transportation, she leaned forward and hugged her mother's neck. "Mom, is that really really you? I have a pony for a mom! My wish totally came true." After which, she giggled and squeezed her bewildered mother tighter.

"Wait, wish? You wished for this?" Agnes had given up on trying to rouse Bobby, and Herbert was resisting the burning heat of Mary's glare as he tried to ready another picture of the Kodak moment unfolding before him. Mary's own thoughts took a stumble. Could Anna have done this? Why can't I just have some normalcy again! I hope Bobby's alright... Staaan, I could really use your help right now... Just what caused this? Her monologue to herself only served to confuse the situation which lay before her even further.

Anna spoke calmly in Mary's giant ear as if it were a megaphone. "Well, no, but I totally should have wished for this. This is so cool, you're the best mom ever, Mom!" Anna bounced on her mom's back, causing Mary to make a decidedly pained and surprised face.

Flash!

"Herbert, so help me I'll break your phone if you take one more picture." Mary aggressively stated.

Agnes snatched the phone away and pocketed it, causing Herbert to aaw himself. "Thanks Agnes, Anna get o-..." Her daughter was busy burying her face in her hair above the bath robe. Mary sighed in anguish, and looked up at her mother-in-law. "I suppose this could be going worse." Some beeping and mumbling caused Mary to look behind her. Bobby was looking at his cellphone raised over his head, he pushed himself up off the ground with a dazed look on his face.

"Huh." Bobby said, and looked up and down from his phone. After a moment, he leaned over and smashed his hand against the hard wood floor, and winced along with the other family members. Agnes made her way towards her grandson to try and help him up.

"Bobby? Anna get off me..." Mary started.

A vulgar outcry from Bobby came next.

"Bobby, get back in there, and apologize to your mother." Herbert took a step towards Bobby and uncharacteristically deadpanned down at him.

"HOW CAN THAT BE MOM, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? Whatever, you know what? I don't care. Once again, everything's about her and she isn't dying, this day off, everyone being here...Herbert this is retarded." The highschooler hadn't said much in the family room, merely cursed, stared at a frightened looking cartoon character, then left. What the hell is going on? At seeing no one else in the midst of a panic attack, it just made it worse for him.

"That's grandpa..." Herbert growled in an old voice like a bear's. "Or pops to you, boy, until you grow up it always will be." He snatched the back of Bobby's shirt. "In my day, kids weren't pampered like you, now you aren't mine but I can certainly see about-"

"Herbert, let him go!" The older man did so at once. Agnes was standing just behind him.

"Am I the only sane one around here?" Bobby shrugged harshly out of the iron grip and stormed towards his room, casting an angry look behind him as he went.

Agnes grimaced at his going, and spoke to her husband. "You don't need to compound this... I'm sure he'll come around, this is just an excuse for him to blow off steam."

Herbert flared his nostrils, huffing. I haven't gotten my temper up like that in a while. A long while...

"Well, Mary does look pretty ridiculous, admittedly. Definitely not what I'd imagined from your description." Herbert stroked his mustache thoughtfully, his scowl still on his face. Agnes had told him everything she knew that morning, which wasn't much. "Well, you're right I suppose, but still, no son should treat their own mother that wa-"

"He doesn't know what to believe." Agnes laid a hand on his shoulder, which was a feat given his height advantage. "Come on, let's go back."

"Hey." Both grandparents turned, surprised to see Bobby standing at the top of the staircase, walking down at a quick pace.

"Mom how'd this happen?" Anna stared wonderingly at one of her mom's colorful hooves.

"I don't know baby, remember that day mommy didn't come out of her room?" Anna shook her head up and down slowly. "Well, I'd woken up like this... Daddy and I really can't explain it. J-just know this doesn't change anything with us as a family okay? And also just!... Remember what I said, don't tell anyone, because this isn't normal." Mary's body was rigid as she explained things to her daughter, who still hadn't relinquished her seat on Mary's back.

Anna nodded while now wonderingly looking at her mom's funny ears. The girl was somewhat oblivious to the difficulty her mother was having in explaining things, or speaking to her for that matter. "Just..." Mary said for the thousandth time. "...Just, remember I love you Anna."

"Mom, are you crying? Moooom don't cryyyy!" Anna got off her mother's back and knelt on both legs in a blur of brown hair. She looked up at her mom's drooped face and uncertain eyes comfortingly. "Is this about you being a pony, or Bobby? Ignore him mom, he's a jerk-butt! That's what you tell me to do... Or is it about being a pony? Mom this totally makes you so cool! I'd be a pony too, if I could...Mom?" Mary stifled a laugh and more sobbing, embracing her daughter instead.

"Thanks Anna, that means a lot..." Mary sniffled again before holding her out at leg's reach. "I swear if you ever grow a tail though, you're so grounded, pleeease stay normal Anna." Her daughter grinned while giggling, her eyes studying her mom's face in pure bliss. "Earth to Anna..."

"Oh, yeah sure Mom. Aaaw yeah! Can I have a ride around the yard!? Oh my gosh please oh please oh-" Anna's explosion of begging was interrupted.

"Mary? Sorry, I hope we aren't interrupting anything..." The sound of the back door opening and closing came from behind Agnes. Then it happened again, Agnes winced at both door slams. "Bobby has asked to go to school, would it be alright if Herbert took him?"

The mother looked at Anna and back to Agnes before dropping her hooves back to the room's floor. "He-" She stopped and took a deep breath. "Yeah, that's fine Mom..." Her pained look swept over Anna, who emulated how she felt. "Baby, would you be alright if I left for a minute?"

"Huh? Where are you going Mom?" Her daughter's brown hair bobbed as she turned her head, the expression she wore was a confused one. To their side, Agnes was also befuddled.

"I'm gonna go drop Bobby off at school."

Mary had bolted from the back door before Agnes could stop her, luckily the back door had another lever instead of a door knob. Door knobs were still an issue unsolved... She ran up to the side of the car before it could pull away, her bath robe slightly dragging in the dirt and gravel. The window rolled down to reveal her father-in-law.

"Mary-" Herbert began.

"Dad!-" Mary shot back.

"No!" Herbert countered, getting back on the offensive. "Look, you can't go out...like that."

"Dad, get out right now, I'm taking my son to...to..." She had stomped a hoof, then trailed off after looking down at it distastefully, and a little shocked to see it there. The outdoors felt strange to her, it was the first time she had even been outside in days.

"You definitely can't drive, alright? Head back inside, and-" Herbert continued vehemently.

"Don't let that thing, in the car." Herbert's eyebrows drew in low at hearing Bobby's mutter, and unlocked the vehicle's doors.

"Mary, I changed my mind, hop on in pony girl." He said jovially, mentally noting to never give Bobby another hand out so long as he lived. "But I'm still driving."

"Fine, you can drive... And dad, don't call me that." Mary drew her mouth in a line and stared off with an incredulous look. Unperturbed, she set a hoof on the car door handle causing it to thunk, and open. Before getting in, she stared at the handle itself, then at her hoof.

"Mary, you coming?" Herbert called.

The door swung out after Mary shook her head to clear it, and she stepped inside. Bobby was looking over the shotgun side seat darkly, and she flinched. "Hem..." She looked ashamedly down at her front hooves where she tried to sit. The strange pony style wasn't suited for the car seat, so she attempted to sit normally, fidgeting with the bathrobe to keep it over herself and get comfortable in some manner. Her tail seemed to be flexible enough that it went to the side of her without any fuss, other than that it just felt a little strange.

The car was nearly silent while she fumbled in the back, Herbert gave her nervous looks over his shoulder, while also studying Bobby. Who didn't make any protest or say anything intended for them to hear. At most, Mary could make out a few hushed 'nononos'. Whatever was going on in the boy's mind, was anyone's guess...

They waited until Mary finally fumbled the seat belt in the back over herself with a click, Herbert had been about to ask if she needed help. "Alright!" she finally chimed in a faux cheerful fashion, "All set to go back here."

Herbert nodded, and the car crunched its way out of the driveway and onto the road. All the while, the air itself in the cabin began to solidify.

Surprising both of the adults, Bobby was the first one to speak. "Why'd you follow me, Mom?"

"I heard you say- I thought I wasn't your mother?" Mary's voice was steady as she found her footing in the debate, which came as a surprise to her. "Bobby I know this is incredible and things haven't been, well, their best lately, but-"

Her son groaned and kept his eyes glued to the window. "Well, you sure sound and complain like she does." Bobby glanced at Herbert, "I just wanted something normal to take up my day, why'd you have to let her come? She's bad enough when she isn't...isn't..."

Mary languidly finished his sentence. "A freak?"

His head craned around to look at her dourly. "..." He turned back around, only looking long enough to convince himself what he was seeing was definitely real. "You know mom, they said doing drugs would do stuff like this."

"Hah," Her face turned grim with that drop of a coin. "Bobby I brought you into this world I can take you out of it, too." Mary tried to lean further forward, but the position she was in wasn't very suited for much movement, and the seat belt didn't offer much give.

Herbert gave the road a nervous look as he continued to drive, while trying to be inconspicuous. Should've let Agnes drive him. So much for that heart to heart. Actually didn't Stan say he'd given him one the other day? This boy's going to have a stigma against...adults... He looked over with a studying look at the young lad talking to the pseudo horse in the back seat.

"Well, ruling out a government experiment what else could have done-" Bobby's train of thought was interrupted by his more course driven mother.

"Robert, that isn't what's important here. Not in the least, I mean, okay I understand this is beyond weird. But do you really, truly think it's an excuse to-"

"I JUST WANT TO GET OUT!" Mary and Herbert blinked from his outburst. "Of that house! Out of all of your lives, alright!? Just give me some space, ALL of the space, and stop caring about what I think or do, it isn't any of your business, because I don't want it to be. All this friggin' attention from you and dad," He glared at Herbert. "trying to make up for something neither of you did. Her," he jabbed a thumb back at Mary, who had recoiled against the backseat with her hooves held up in front of herself. "Trying to direct my God cursed life, like I'm a sports car she can steer around where ever she wants. I don't. Care. About this, at all. So just go about being a mutant and leave me alone."

It hadn't really been clear to Mary these last few years, what it was that had started this. Or when it started, for that matter. Her son hadn't just slipped more and more away as the years went, he'd never really been there at all. It was strange, when she had been a kid, she'd been fun loving, energetic, and when she'd spread her wings and left her own parents, she'd been daring with what she wanted to do. But not in such a hurry, what made Bobby hate them so much? Was it really hate? Most of the time he was decent, he even put up with going along with things... that she... made him do.

The car ride fell back into silence for the rest of the short drive, Herbert's grip twisted a bit on the steering wheel, but he'd decided this was Mary's bout. Come on girl, say something already... He's gonna notice if I take anymore wrong turns on the way to the dang Highschool.

Mary tried to gather her thoughts into something viable to say as they closed with the school. She recalled when he had apologized to her Sunday morning. That had probably been forced by Stan... Christmas last year when he wouldn't get in the family photo and then there was... So he feels like his life is ruled by us? But we're his family, we do things together and are happy while we do it. The school parking lot was filled to the brink and bustling.

"Eep!" Mary dove down behind the driver's seat when a couple kids looked her way from the sidewalk. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. She gulped. Now or never Mary. "Bobby—" She didn't even get past his name.

"Save it, horse. As far as I'm concerned—" Her son opened the door quickly and jumped out at the stop sign. "—this is God's way of saying you can't tell me what to do, anymore." The door slammed, leaving Mary huddled behind her father-in-law in hiding.

"Hey dad, pull over here please, will you?" Mary sat half laying down, she had decided to just do away with the seat belt.

"Hm, why here Mary? It's just a big open field." Herbert looked out over the grassy clearing half heartedly, there wasn't anything remarkable about it, just a few trees.

"Just do it would you, I... I dunno, I don't want to go back yet." The car door felt like a barrier between herself and life at the moment. Or getting her mind off of it, at least. Herbert finally slowed the car down to a stop on the side of the nearly always abandoned side road. Mary had a thought, and placed her hoof over the door handle with her eyes closed, then pulled it back. The handle went with her hoof easily, as she'd thought it might. At her gasp, it snapped back out of her...grasp, or whatever it was.

"See? Super powers!" Herbert chimed in. "So you can grab things? That might just come in...handy."

"Yeah..." Mary spoke back, only half listening. "Dad, what's happened to me? You know about this stuff." She pushed the door open with a hoof and it swung outwards.

Herbert made a disappointed face that she hadn't picked up on his joke...

Mary hopped out into the grass, it was brown from fall and winter approaching. "Could it have really been done by the government, like Bobby said?" Her voice was blithe as she called back across the car to him.

Herbert got out of the car as well, not wanting Mary to stray too far. "Well, if this was a story I could tell you all kinds of possibilities Mary. But...it isn't, there's no cliche plot at work here and a cooky villain behind the scenes with a curly mustache. I mean, why would the government have something that could, or even want to turn a random middle aged mother into a brightly colored, miniature pony? If that's even what you are, there is tons about you that is blatantly human, the first of which being that you can still talk."

Mary's attention clung to the nature waving in the breeze before her, as Herbert finished talking she turned around on the soft ground to frown at him. "It's impolite to say a girl's age, dad." Her tongue stuck out wryly, the older guy's voice—even when it was serious—had a way of cheering people up, it bordered the magical. I wish he had something I haven't thought of yet to say, though. "Hey, do you hear that?"

The old codger leaned back onto the trunk of the car, and turned his ear up to listen. "Mmm, nope, unless you mean the wind. What am I supposed to be hearing, Mary?"

For Mary and Herbert, the wind made the sort of roar it typically did while running in off the ocean at sea, or as was the case now, a big open field. Mary's ears and head turned frequently though, trying to hear another noise. It was inaudible, or nearly so, like the echo of an echo hitchhiking on that breeze to whisper to her. She thought it sounded like laughter... Or crying... Or talking?

Herbert was standing beside her now, she realized. "Your mane's getting to be a mess in this wind." He stated nonchalantly.

The hoof Mary used to try and get her hair under control enough to glare darkly at him, only half succeeded. "Hair dad, it's hair. Come on, you can't tell me you don't hear that." She couldn't make it out anymore, either, actually. Her eyes widened slightly in the brightening morning sun, while searching the distant shrubs and treeline, trying to find it again. Herbert said something else, and she cantered out farther from the road, his voice lost to the wind.

What's gotten into her? Herbert absently scratched his head, at a loss for what to do. The pony kept trotting further out, then began running, which ended abruptly. "Mary!?" He was relieved to see she hadn't actually fallen though, instead the bath robe was shaken off by the tumbled orange shape. He guessed the robe had tripped her. After that, her run resumed, he thought she might have called back that the clothing was getting in the way. Well, what the hay?

This feels great. Mary thought, her legs pumping to gain more speed. It was inexplicable, but to deny that she was feeling a measure of bliss just running, would be lying to herself. She began to tire quickly, though. Phew, I don't keep up with my fitness the way I should, just swimming and...and... Behind her, a trail of green had spread across the brown grass in her wake. "Oh-kay... DAD! I'M READY TO GO NOW!"