• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 47,835 Views, 2,471 Comments

The Irony of Applejack - Mister Friendly



Applejack has never told a lie. Merely... omitted some details about herself...

  • ...
83
 2,471
 47,835

Chapter 14: Last Chance

Chapter 14: Last Chance

Rainbow worked her tired muscles for all she was worth, forcing herself to fly ever higher into the thick banks of storm clouds in the sky.

Her wings complained and burned, but she ignored it. Her drive far outweighed any inclination for rest.

Rainbow kept her eyes squinted to protect them from the rain pelting her face. She could feel a static tingle tickling at her feathers and coat, relaying rather redundant information at this point.

Yeah, I know there’s lightning up here. Go figure.

But perhaps most of all, she was aware of the pony currently clamped down as tight as a pony could get around her midriff. It wasn’t exactly the most comfortable of holds, and Rainbow had to fight down the desire to squirm every now and then.

It was clear to the pegasus that Applejack wasn’t really having the time of her life. One quick glance over her shoulder confirmed it; the farm pony had her eyes screwed tightly shut and her muzzle buried in Rainbow’s mane in order to keep the sting of the rain off her face.

But AJ wasn’t complaining. She wasn’t doing much of anything for that matter, which was starting to concern Rainbow.

Finally, the tired pegasus leveled out. She fanned her feathers slightly and relaxed her legs marginally, slowing the pair down a little – much to the relief of her taxed muscles.

A moment later, Rainbow and Applejack burst out of the cold, wet interior of the storm, leaving a residual comet tail of cloud fluff mingling with Dash’s prismatic afterimage for nearly a hundred yards.

But they weren’t out of the storm. They were merely between layers.

On all sides of Rainbow – including above and below – the dark, rain-laden clouds roiled and fumed, crowding together like incompatible puzzle pieces.

It was a haphazard, eccentric gap through the storm that went this way and that without rhyme or reason. But at least Rainbow could actually see more than a foot in front of her muzzle.

Lightning occasionally lit up the interior of one cloud or another from the inside out, and the resulting thunder was positively explosive in volume.

But besides the occasional blinding flash, everything was dull and gloomy. All Rainbow could see were shades of blue and grey in this strange, nebulous landscape.

“Whoa Nelly…”

Rainbow glanced over her shoulder, and was surprised to see Applejack not only had her eyes open, but she was even starting to lift her head to glance around.

“Pretty cool, huh?” Rainbow called over the wind in her ears.

Applejack didn’t reply, but even with her hat slightly obscuring her face, and even with the gloom veiling her, Rainbow could still see the wondrous glimmer in her eye, even if she was biting her lip out of anxiety.

After a moment longer, Rainbow turned back to keep an eye on where they were going – she didn’t feel much like sailing into an active thunderhead. That’d ruin her day for sure.

“You know he’s gonna be waiting for us, right?” Rainbow said abruptly, speaking loud enough for her words to reach Applejack but little else.

“…Ah know,” her friend responded after a moment’s hesitation.

“What are you going to do?” Rainbow asked.

Her question caught Applejack by surprise. She stared at the back of Rainbow’s head for a moment in surprise, but the pegasus didn’t turn to meet her gaze. Yet, both her ears were spun around to face the farmer, making it clear she was expecting an answer of some kind.

But really, there was only one honest response Applejack could give.

“Ah don’t rightly know,” she responded truthfully, frowning thoughtfully. “But… it ain't gonna involve a stern talkin’ to, that’s for sure.”

She expected that Rainbow would agree with that sentiment, at least the last part.

After everything Vigil had done to her family, to her property, and to all those innocent ponies living in Ponyville, it was fair to say that they were well past the point of talking out their differences.

But instead of voicing her agreement, Rainbow remained silent for a moment.

“Applejack, promise me something,” she said, her tone oddly serious – just for the fact that it was serious. No bravado, no teasing tone, no nothing.

Applejack blinked in surprise, then said, “What’s that?”

“Promise me,” Rainbow said firmly, “that you won’t do something else stupid.”

Applejack’s chest tightened like a vice, momentarily gagging any response she might’ve given her friend.

Rainbow kept watching where she was flying, but Applejack wasn’t fooled into thinking that her attention was aimed ahead of her.

“I know guessing how other ponies feel isn’t really my thing,” Dash said, “but… Just don’t do something stupid, okay?”

Applejack’s first instinct was to snap at her. It was a reflex, really; she was beginning to get really tired of being called stupid by Rainbow. Just who did she take her for?

But all her throat made was the first squeak of a harsh comment… and little more. She paused, her prideful temper petering out just as quickly as it’d flared up.

After all, could she honestly say that Rainbow didn’t have a point? She’d never admit it out loud, but she knew mistakes had been made, the biggest of which had been the catalyst for this entire fiasco.

Once more, Applejack bit her lip and dropped her gaze. “Only… on one condition, sugarcube.”

Rainbow glanced back then, confused by the subdued tone in her friend’s voice. “What’s that?”

Applejack didn’t quite meet Rainbow’s gaze. What little of her face Rainbow could make out looked rather anxious… and downcast.

“That ya’ll help me keep it.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened in surprise, a chill running down her spine.

An explosive thunderclap rent the air, filling both mares’ ears with the resounding boom as the responsible lightning raced across the clouds below them.

With her ears still ringing, Rainbow was beginning to realize something; that her worries maybe weren’t all that unique to her.

The past few hours had taken such a toll on them, physically and emotionally, that much was clear, and a pony could only be pushed so far.

Every pony had a line that should never be crossed. So how much could Applejack be pushed before she reached hers? It made Rainbow truly nervous to think that neither of them knew.

But…, Rainbow thought to herself, we’re in this together, to the very end.

She scowled, heart pounding hard in her chest. And no matter what, I’m not letting Applejack face Vigil alone.

With that, her mind was made up. I won’t let her cross that line. No matter what.

“Cross my heart, hope to fly,” she chanted with all the seriousness of a blood pact.

Applejack looked up, taken by surprise. Rainbow’s hard expression broke slightly, just enough for a small curl to develop in one corner of her mouth – a prompt, one Applejack realized was meant for her.

“… Stick a cupcake in my eye,” Applejack finished quietly.

Rainbow’s smile grew then, turning toothy and daring, ending her inexplicable lapse into solemnity. “I can’t hear you!”

“Ah said stick a cupcake in my dang eye,” Applejack snapped back, though with no authentic bite to her words. The irritation just wasn’t there.

“That’s better!” Rainbow said with satisfaction as she turned back to watch where she was going. “Now hang on, cowgirl, we’re almost –”

To Applejack’s surprise, however, Rainbow cut herself off. Her head perked up quite abruptly and her ears stood at attention, swiveling this way and that curiously.

“What’s the matter?” Applejack asked, glancing around, too. But all she saw was dark, semi-formless banks of gray.

“Did… you hear that?” Rainbow asked hesitantly. “I could’ve sworn I heard…”

This time, when she trailed off, Applejack heard it, too; an alien sound not belonging to the storm, yet slightly too indistinct to be made out over it.

Applejack raised her head in order to look around. Despite the building vertigo, she swept her eyes around her surroundings, searching for that sound.

It sounded almost like… a voice.

“Applejack! Rainbow! Wait up!”

Both mares blinked in unison, completely taken by surprise. Several forms were materializing in the darkness; shadows that grew more and more defined, until quite suddenly several winged shapes burst through the nearby clouds.

And there, each riding upon the back of a Royal Guard and flanked on either side by two escorts, was none other than Twilight and Pinkie.

The guards were working their wings for all they were worth, trying with all their might to close the distance between the two groups. They were just managing, but it was costing them every ounce of strength to do it.

“Slow down, Dash!” Twilight cried out over the storm’s gale. “We’re coming with you!”

Both mares just stared in shock. It almost felt like they were seeing a mirage, what with Twilight seated precariously on the back of a panting and wheezing pegasus. Even Pinkie’s happy squeals of “Wee!” seemed so surreal.

“Twilight?” Applejack shouted, struggling to get her voice over to her friends. “What’re y’all doin’ here? Ah thought Shining didn’t want ya leavin’ his sight!”

Neither Applejack nor Rainbow heard Twilight’s sheepish chuckle, but they certainly saw the way she rubbed the back of her head. “Yeah… He probably won’t be too happy with me later,” she called over. “But it’ll be worth it if we can bring an end to this!”

They were almost flying in formation by now; all four pegasi guards and their passengers were only about a dozen feet off Rainbow’s right side.

“When Shining said he couldn’t afford to send anypony to help,” Twilight explained, “I… well, I kinda sorta snuck off when he wasn’t looking.”

“And I came along, too!” Pinkie piped up brightly.

“Yeah, that too,” Twilight admitted, glancing at the pink pony before looking back at Rainbow. “Now will you two slow down a bit? We need to come up with a plan if we’re going to beat Vigil!”

Applejack opened her mouth, intent on saying something. However, Rainbow beat her to the punch.

“What about the princess,” Dash pointed out. There was a note in her voice that immediately caught Applejack’s attention, causing her to glance at the pegasus curiously.

All she could make out of Rainbow’s expression, however, was a wary frown.

“This is more important,” Twilight said exasperatedly. “Now, will you two please get over here?”

But Rainbow continued to hesitate. She was keeping a healthy distance between herself and Twilight, her eyes never once leaving the unicorn’s.

Applejack frowned at the back of her friend’s head. Any other day, she might’ve said she was being ridiculous. A part of her still wanted to, but could she honestly say such paranoia wasn’t warranted today?

As much as Applejack didn’t want to, she cast a look over towards the group flying alongside them. It was just so difficult for her to be suspicious of any of –

Another lightning bolt lit up the gloom, throwing every detail about the six ponies into sharp relief.

And in the brilliant flash, something caught Applejack’s eye.

Something about Twilight’s face was off. There was mud, yes, and a couple scratches, too. Even the burn on her nose was where it should’ve been.

But… something didn’t look right. Everything was where it should’ve been and how it should’ve been, but…

How it should’ve been…

Twilight was looking at her just like she always did; keen and focused. Exactly the opposite of how she’d been the last time Applejack had seen her.

Applejack’s entire body tensed, her heart stopping for a bare moment as the realization hit her. Rainbow’s suspicions were justified.

For just a moment, she locked eyes with the thing wearing Twilight’s familiar visage, who just smiled almost benignly back.

Applejack never heard it, but she saw the unicorn mouth something, still smiling sweetly, something that looked almost like, “Oops.”

“Rainbow!” she shouted in warning, “Move! That’s not –”

A bolt of emerald light lashed out before Applejack could finish. It happened so fast that she only barely registered the flash off Twilight’s horn before it was all over.

For just a split second, Applejack felt Rainbow roll beneath her, instinctively banking away from the flash of acidic light. But not even she could react fast enough.

The air was rent by a deafening bang mingled with a cry of pain that sent a lance of ice into Applejack’s chest.

She felt a concussive punch hit her in the chest, and for a moment she even felt the blistering heat off of the magical blast wash over her side.

And in the next harrowing second, they were falling.

Applejack clutched desperately at Rainbow, even as all her insides were thrust into her mouth. “Rainbow!” she cried out at the top of her lungs, panic-stricken.

She could hear Rainbow groaning and cursing. She was trying to right their course, but for some reason she just couldn’t quite do it. It was like she couldn’t get the wind under her wings again.

As the storm clouds rushed up to claim them, Applejack threw a worried glance to one side.

What she saw sent an ice cold chill down her spine.

Rainbow’s right wing had taken the brunt of the blast. Thick curls of smoke trailed behind it like a comet’s tail, obscuring most of the damage from sight.

But the bits of blackened, savaged feathers Applejack could see hurt her almost as much as the damage was clearly hurting Rainbow.

“Ponyfeathers,” Rainbow spat through gritted teeth. “This… this is gonna ruin my day…”

She tried to level out, but having only one good wing to commit to the task made it a virtual impossibility. It was all she could do to keep from tumbling end over end, for Celestia’s sake.

Again, Rainbow cursed under her breath. She struggled through the fiery pain, doing everything she could do to keep gravity from winning.

She was failing.

Rainbow threw a glance over her shoulder, looking back behind her.

Four shadows were in hot pursuit, plummeting towards them like a pair of oversized falcons. They were closing the distance with alarming speed, eyes locked on target.

Rainbow desperately fought to stabilize, but her smoldering wing just couldn’t take it. Lights popped before her eyes every time she tried.

But as they fell, a voice reached Rainbow’s ears again; one that sent a chill down her spine.

“Hang on, girls,” called Twilight’s voice in a sinisterly cheery cadence completely conflicting with the situation, “We’ll catch you!”

Rainbow snarled. She knew exactly what they really intended to do, and thus she knew exactly what she had to keep from happening.

“Applejack, hang on!” she roared, just before she took a deep breath… and snapped her wings to her sides.

Gravity was all-too happy to take over then, and down the two friends went, dropping right out of the sky like so much dead weight.

Rainbow clamped her various limbs to her body as tight as she could, giving the lashing wind nothing to grasp at her with. She nosed down, going nearly vertical into what she prayed would be a death-defying dive.

As instructed, Applejack hung on for dear life. Her eyes were fixated directly between Rainbow’s slanted back ears, morbidly transfixed. She was almost physically unable to tear her eyes away, as if missing one detail would spell the end of her.

She watched as they plunged headlong into the clouds, disappearing into smothering, cold murk.

They were going faster and faster; Applejack could feel it. The wetness of the laden storm cloud slapped her in the face harder and harder as Rainbow picked up speed, tearing sightlessly through the dark cloud with reckless abandon.

But it wasn’t dark for long. Another brilliant flash of emerald changed that, followed by another and another.

Even though neither of the two mares looked back, they knew their pursuers weren’t far behind. The two were going so fast that Applejack could only hear the bangs like brief pops and cracks, their sources fading behind them almost as fast as they popped up.

But in the dark, dense cloud, their pursuers were firing blind. Applejack could see flashes of acidic light popping up all around them, but none were striking true. For now.

Down through layer after layer of stormy clouds they went. Down... down... ever faster, racing inevitability...

“Applejack,” Rainbow shouted at the top of her lungs, her words barely reaching the pony in question at all. “You might want to close your eyes!”

Applejack stared with a mix of incredulity and anxiety at the back of Rainbow’s head. “What in tarnation are ya…” she shouted, but almost immediately she was driven to silence.

The clouds had just parted before them.

Applejack knew she should’ve expected to see the ground barreling towards them, but that didn’t mean she was prepared for it.

The entire world looked like a vast, immeasurable wall stretching as far as the eye could see in every direction, and it was currently rushing up at gut-wrenching speeds to meet them.

Only then did it click in her head that they were going to crash. Only this time, there wasn’t going to be a bale of hay to cushion the landing.

But even as that realization hit her, Applejack registered something on the ground below. There was a formation down there – an unnatural formation that did not belong with the lay of the land.

And Rainbow was plummeting right for it.

“Here we go!” Rainbow shouted, braced, and snapped open both wings.

Pain shot through her like molten metal. Lights popped in front of her eyes, very nearly throwing her into darkness entirely.

Rainbow let out a scream of mingled pain and effort, forcing both wings to stay rigid with every single measurable ounce of strength she possessed.

She arched her back, fighting the nearly unstoppable downward pull with everything she had.

Slowly, agonizingly slowly, her course changed. Little by little, her dive bomb was turned into an arcing swoop.

But it wasn’t enough. She was going too fast, and her damaged wing was too weak.

To Rainbow’s credit, she didn’t give up, not even as the ground closed the gap.

The last thing Applejack saw before she closed her eyes was an expanse of stone and timber flying at them with absolute finality before everything went out, and she knew no more.

~~***~~

“Come on!” bellowed Shining Armor at the top of his lungs, waving a foreleg over his head to get the attention of the troops around him. “Everypony on me! Push towards the library!”

All around him, steel clanged against steel, spell clashed with spell, and more than one structure suffered for it.

But this was not a fight Shining had ever thought he’d live to see. Not even in his most twisted of nightmares did he ever imagine he’d be pitting the Guard against… more of the Guard.

All around him, guard stallions were locked in combat with identically clad guard stallions. It was impossible to tell who was who, and in the confusion the battle was in danger of devolving into a senseless free-for-all.

And in that confusion, it was getting so very easy to make very costly mistakes.

To his credit, Shining spotted the spear lowering just before it was too late. A stallion he’d assumed belonged to his own division was charging almost side by side with his own troops, but with far more lethal intent.

Shining just managed to erect a shielding spell an instant before the imposter could plunge his weapon into his side.

The magic in his barrier didn’t react too kindly to having a length of steel rammed into it, and with a vicious crack of energy, the offending weapon was reduced to wood and steel confetti.

“Nice try,” the Guard Captain shot, then solved the problem with a prompt magic blast to the guard’s ironically unguarded face.

He eyed the unconscious stallion lying on his back for a moment, then glanced around once more.

No other aggressors had tried the same move, but he knew it was only a matter of time; time which they were starting to run out of.

However, progress was slow; painfully slow. They may only have needed to go just a few blocks, but… it sure was a long, grueling few blocks.

The enemy was disorganized and fought like an anarchistic mob, not the trained fighting force they should’ve been. But there were a lot of them, and they seemed aware enough to take advantage of the chaos filling the streets.

With the initial shock of the counter-attack behind them, the brainwashed guards had rallied, and had even managed to interpose their entire force between Shining and his ultimate goal.

Just like they’re stalling for time…

Shining gritted his teeth. He knew he was missing something, but there was so much on his plate that he couldn’t afford to go looking into it. The entire town was in chaos and every mare, stallion and foal therein was at risk. Deviating any amount of attention away from ensuring their safety wasn’t an option.

So instead, he did the only thing he could think of; he turned to his sister.

Twilight was dutifully staying by his side, just like he’d told her. But it was obvious from the look on her face that there was someplace else she’d much rather be.

She kept glancing over her shoulder, eyes looking back the way they’d come.

Far away, the guard post loomed. It was just visible through the rain against a sliver of light on the horizon, marking the distant edge of the storm. The interim between heaven and earth glowed like a distant wall of fire, as if the land beyond Ponyville had been set ablaze.

But Shining could guess it wasn’t the monolithic central tower at the post’s heart that kept drawing her attention. Not exactly.

“Twilight,” he spoke.

Immediately she snapped her head around so fast it was a wonder she didn’t give herself whiplash in the process. “Huh?”

Yeah, she’s out of it…

For a moment, Shining paused. His sister truly did look like she’d been through a lot. Aside from the mildly concussed expression on her face, she was splattered from horn to hoof in mud, which did little to hide the various scrapes and scratches marring her coat. Then there was the burn across her nose, perhaps the most disquieting tell of the night she’d endured.

Taking in the state of his sister, Shining very nearly thought better of asking what he’d initially been intending to ask. It just didn’t feel right.

But if he intended to end this whole mess soon, he had very little choice.

“Twiley,” he said, though with an uncomfortable heart, “Could you do something for me?”

“What?” she asked, blinking questioningly at her brother.

Shining glanced around, noting the near total standstill they’d come to. There were wall-to-wall bad guys just in front of his offensive line, and they were moving forward like a conveyor belt, replacing the fallen almost instantaneously.

They were running out of viable options with each passing second…

Once more Shining tightened his jaw, then he turned to look his sister dead in the eye. “Can you teleport to Princess Celestia from here?”

For a second, the dazed look left Twilight’s eyes. The moment she heard the word ‘princess’, a modicum of focus returned to her mind.

“Princess… Teleport… I can try,” she said, but no one could’ve missed the uncertain note in her voice.

She then scrunched her eyes shut tight. Every muscle in her body tensed, and after a brief pause, her horn sputtered to life.

But the light lasted only a few seconds before dissipating again, fading out with a feeble spark of magic.

“I’m sorry,” she panted, slouching. “I… I can’t…”

Shining Armor patted her shoulder reassuringly. “It’s alright, Twiley. We all have our limits.”

That answer didn’t seem nearly good enough for the young unicorn. “But… if we don’t hurry…”

“If this is about your friends, don’t worry,” Shining reassured. “I sent some of my best men to –”

“Captain!”

Shining turned around, expression hardening, just as a pegasus guard skidded to a halt next to him.

Shining recognized the young stallion, considering he’d only just given him and a hoof-full of others very specific orders, orders that did not involve being anywhere nearby.

Shining noted, however that the corporal looked like he’d already seen action; there were cuts and dents on his armor, and he was missing his spear entirely.

As the guard threw a salute, Shining couldn’t help but feel his gut tighten. Why do I get the feeling I’m not in for good news?

“Corporal, why aren’t you with your unit?” Shining asked sharply, hiding his misgivings perfectly.

“Sir, Sergeant Halberd sent me to tell you that the unit has encountered heavy resistance along Mane Street,” the young stallion reported, slightly out of breath.

“Mane Street,” Twilight spoke up suddenly, catching both guards’ attention. “That’s… that’s four blocks from the guard post.”

“He’s requesting reinforcements,” continued the corporal, regaining Shining’s focus. “If we don’t get more, we won’t be able to push through their line.”

Shining cursed under his breath. With all the fighting before him, it was hard to believe the enemy had enough resources to hold out on any other front at all.

But while he stood there, hastily trying to come up with a solution, one of the ponies nearest him spoke the thing that was bearing the most on his mind at the moment.

“But Rainbow and Applejack are headed that way,” Spoke up Pinkie Pie, looking alarmingly distressed.

“Well, if they made it through, they did before the enemy got there,” the pegasus responded.

Again, there was that niggling feeling in the back of Shining’s mind.

Two ponies just happen to slip by a force strong enough to halt some of his most veteran fighters, and at the same time the enemy just happens to jam itself between him and his ultimate goal, grinding progress to a standstill.

Shining turned then, aiming his gaze not at the corporal or Pinkie or Big Mac, or even Twilight for that matter. No; instead, he turned his gaze towards the fifth member of their group.

Or… at least, where she should’ve been.

Shining couldn’t help but tense in surprise at finding he was one green mare short, however. And yet, he could’ve sworn…

“Where’d she…,” he started to question, but was drawn up short when he heard a loud sigh right next to him.

Distracted, Shining turned in the other direction. For a moment, he met the equally searching gaze of Big Mac, who blinked, then they both looked down between them.

There stood Pinkie Pie, looking resigned. “I guess it can’t be helped, then,” she sighed sadly.

“Pinkie, what’re you—”, Twilight started to question before a pink hoof was thrust at her, silencing her.

“I was hoping I wouldn’t have to resort to this,” Pinkie muttered. “But I guess I have no choice…”

“Pinkie, what are you talking about,” Twilight asked nervously. The way her friend was acting was starting to make her very, very uneasy.

Pinkie didn’t turn to meet her gaze. What she did do, however, was take several steps forward and place herself in front of the group.

“I’ve been holding back,” Pinkie said without turning around. “I never, ever wanted to have to do this. But… if these ponies are gonna threaten my friends and make everypony sad, then I have no choice!”

To everypony’s surprise, Pinkie suddenly rose up onto her hind legs, and in a move only she could fathom, she raised her two front hooves to her mane.

“No pony messes with my friends,” she muttered. All the while, she rummaged around in her poofy curls, searching for something.

And then, each hoof seemed to latch onto something on different sides of her head.

“No –” she shot, raising her voice. At the same time, she yanked out one hoof, pulling out perhaps the most bizarre thing Twilight had ever seen ever come out of a mane; a pair of pearly white dentures.

“—PONY!” she finished, yanking out her other hoof.

And in that hoof sat a small, oblivious-looking reptile.

Twilight felt her eye twitch. “Pinkie…”

The party pony paused, then glanced over one shoulder. “Ssh, Twilight, I’m being dramatic.”

Pinkie cleared her throat, recomposed herself with a grim façade, and then quite suddenly rammed her other hoof into her scaly friend’s mouth.

“Play time, Gummy,” Pinkie whispered to her pet, just as she yanked her hoof free as fast as she could.

Pinkie’s pet alligator continued to stare off into space for a moment, seemingly catatonic and indifferent to the world around him.

And then, an unsettling gleam flashed across his eyes as he spread his jaws wide, revealing his newly equipped, pearly white false teeth.

Both eyes zeroed in with alarming focus on the nearest stallion – the first of many – before all Tartaurus broke loose.

~~***~~

“Applejack… Applejack, wake up!”

Applejack came to with a jolt and a spasm, her eyes fluttering listlessly ahead of her ability to operate them.

The first thing she became aware of was all the new aches and pains spread out across her body. But, she had a body – that much was clear – so that could only mean she was still alive. Somehow.

Applejack groaned and flipped over onto her belly, her battle with consciousness not going well.

“Ruh… Rainbow?” she said blearily.

Something moved nearby; something pony-shaped. “Come on, Applejack! You gotta get up!”

But the pony in question was having some difficulty doing just that. Her head was coming on again, but slowly.

For a moment, she noted the inconsistent shape of the thing she was lying on top of. It felt like she was lying on a pile of things, really, and some correlated with the freshest of the new pains covering her body.

Yet, interestingly, Applejack didn’t feel any rain anymore. She could hear it in the background, tapping against something behind her and droning endlessly. A light, cold breeze blew over her, and as it did, a few ice cold drops fell on her flank, sending a shiver up her body.

For a moment, a thought occurred to her – one that she had to voice.

“Where… where am Ah,” she asked, massaging her head with a hoof.

“Get up, Applejack!” insisted that voice again. “We’re here! We’re at the guard post! You have to get up now!”

Everything suddenly hit her like the mother of all sucker punches. Her eyes snapped open, her brain hitting the ground running.

They’d been flying so high up… and then there was Twilight… and then there was an explosion… and they were falling.

“Rainbow!” she gasped aloud, jolting upright.

To her utter surprise, she didn’t need to look far to find her. One look to her right, and she found a pair of magenta eyes looking straight back at her.

Finding Rainbow hardly a few inches away from her nearly caused Applejack to tumble right back over again with a surprised yelp.

“Easy there, cowgirl,” Rainbow chided, though the teasing note didn’t quite sound authentic, “It’s just me.”

Hearing the forced humor in her friend’s voice reminded Applejack just why they’d crashed, and instantly her eyes shot down to Rainbow’s side.

Her entire right side was scorched, from shoulder to flank. The smell of burnt fur hung in the air, clinging to Applejack’s nostrils horribly.

And her wing… every inch of it was blackened and charred. What scant few feathers remained were mangled and barely even recognizable.

Applejack didn’t miss how Rainbow’s wing hung slightly, like she couldn’t close it properly against her side…

“Rainbow, yer wing…,” Applejack said, the color draining from her face.

“I’m fine,” Rainbow said flatly, though she didn’t quite meet Applejack’s eye.

“Yer not fine!” Applejack pressed, stepping closer. Panic was starting to eat at her, and no matter what she did, she couldn’t fight it down. She’d seen Rainbow hurt before; it was practically a weekly thing that she’d beat herself up doing Celestia-knows-what.

But all of those instances were nothing like this…

Applejack about jumped out of her skin when she felt a hoof catch her shoulder. “AJ, I’m fine,” Rainbow stated with firm finality. “It’s just a couple feathers, okay? They’ll grow back before you know it.”

But it was going to be a long couple weeks before they did, Rainbow noted internally. But considering the alternatives, she could live with the consequences… somehow.

Applejack, of course, wasn’t buying it. She could see the pain in her friend’s expression, even if she was trying to cover it up.

“Rainbow…,” she muttered, her ears falling almost as much as her heart.

But the cyan pegasus completely ignored her. She turned completely around, in fact, a bullheaded look on her face. “Look, how about we worry about trying to find Vigil and those captive ponies instead,” she snapped irritably.

But after just a moment, she glanced back over her shoulder, her expression softening. “I’m okay, AJ, I promise. I’ve been hit a lot harder by lightning bolts, believe me. If it’ll make you feel any better, we can go straight to the hospital after the awards ceremony, but right now we got more important things to worry about.”

Applejack bit her lip. The sight of Rainbow’s mangled wing still sat heavy on her conscience, but no matter how much she wanted to tend to it, she knew Rainbow well enough to know that she’d have none of it. She’d have an easier time dueling Vigil and his entire entourage with a single hoof tied behind her back than in changing Rainbow’s mind.

At last, Applejack conceded defeat, no matter how tired she was of doing so with her cyan friend.

“Alright, Rainbow. But do me a favor and don’t push yerself too hard, okay? It’s just the two of us out here, and Ah can’t go around savin’ yer flank every five minutes.”

“If anypony’s gonna be doing some saving, it’s me,” Rainbow snapped back challengingly.

“Then we better get to the savin’ part,” Applejack said back. After glancing around a bit, she located her Stetson and quickly replaced it on her head.

That being accomplished, she looked up, and for the first time took in her surroundings in greater detail.

She was standing in some kind of a hall with a soaring roof and walls of stone blocks. The timber frame of the structure was visible between the dark rocks in the walls, exposing wooden columns as thick around as a pony.

Tables and chairs littered the entire grand area, creating many little islands scattered about the floor. Some were stacked high with papers while others bore a mug or two. It was a hectic clutter with organization known only to those that’d made the mess in the first place.

All along the walls were tall bookshelves and cases filled to the brim with scrolls and tomes, some of which looked fit to burst right off the shelves. Again, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the order of things, a fact that’d likely drive a certain lavender unicorn utterly mad.

Even higher up on the walls hung long tapestries in alternating fashion, going from gold to silver to gold, each bearing either a crescent moon or a dazzling sun.

When Applejack turned her head around, her eyes settled upon a rather glaring wound in her surroundings; a hole, blown through what must’ve once been a window on the wall behind her, letting the sounds of rain and thunder in unmitigated.

She couldn’t help but stare at the hole for a second or two in amazement; it looked like the work of a cannon, not an out-of-control pegasus.

Aside from the pony-made hole, most of that back wall was made up of tall, slender windows filled with stained glass filled with armored ponies posing in various valorous ways – aside from the one she and Rainbow had blown through, which now depicted quite the heroic set of ankles and little else.

Those windows were the only source of light in the hall. A number of lanterns hung from the ceiling on long wrought iron chains, but not a single candle was lit. Only diffused, muggy light issued from the windows, bringing the interior of the hall barely into the visible range, but little else.

“Where in the hay are we?” Applejack thought aloud, looking around in amazement.

“I already told you,” Rainbow said in minor annoyance, “we’re at the guard post. We have to be.”

“Ah meant were specifically,” Applejack said, rolling her eyes.

“Oh… no idea,” Rainbow amended sheepishly. “We’re probably pretty high up in the tower, though. I’m kinda surprised no one was here waiting for us.”

Applejack turned her head again, eying back out the hole Rainbow had made in the wall. But aside from rain clouds and lightning, there was nothing to see beyond the improvised entrance, especially no pursuing pegasi.

And that was giving her a very bad feeling.

“Why do Ah feel like that ain't a coincidence,” Applejack muttered darkly, frowning.

“Because it isn’t.”

Both mares whirled around, assuming defensive positions at each other’s side. Neither had to look far for the source of that familiar voice, however.

Far across the spacious hall, standing upon a balcony overlooking the floor, stood a singe stallion. Even in the faint, gloomy light of the room, neither Applejack nor Rainbow could mistake his mustard coat and jet black mane.

“Vigil,” Applejack growled, glaring angrily at the changeling.

If Vigil heard it, he was unfazed by the clear threat in her voice. “So, the arrant queen and her loyal bodyguard have finally arrived,” he said, his tone icy and cold. “I was beginning to wonder if you would make it at all.”

“What, hoping we wouldn’t get the chance to kick your flank,” Rainbow jeered.

Vigil just gave her a cold, withering look, his mouth a hard line. “All you’ve managed to do is delay my goals, increasing the collateral damage to everyone around you,” he stated.

His eyes slipped off of Rainbow, affixing Applejack with a hard glare instead. “Everything that’s happened – the damage to your friends, your family, to everyone you know; it is all your fault, Applejack.”

“Shut up!” Rainbow bellowed at the top of her lungs. Her wings flashed open before she could catch herself.

No one missed the way she winced when her injured wing snapped up, shaking loose another broken feather. But Rainbow worked around the pain, grinding her teeth with frustration and anger, using the pain to fuel her rage.

“Don’t you dare blame Applejack for everything you’ve done! Everypony that’s been hurt; it’s all because you can’t take no for an answer!”

Vigil once more looked at Rainbow, his eyes somehow more uncaring than before. “And yet, if she’d simply accepted my offer in the first place, no one would’ve gotten hurt at all. Ponyville would still be in one piece.”

“No, it wouldn’t,” Rainbow snarled, fury peaking. “There is no Ponyville without Applejack. You think you can just take her away and everything would be fine?”

“Compared to how it is now, yes,” Vigil stated indifferently.

“Why you,” Rainbow spat, her eyes practically spitting fire.

Until an orange shape moved in front of her.

Rainbow blinked in surprise as Applejack took a step in front of her, interposing herself between Vigil and her friend.

“Yer right, Vigil,” Applejack admitted somberly. “Everythin’ that’s happened to my friends, my family… to Ponyville and the farm… it’s all because of me. Ah know that.”

Rainbow jolted forward, unable to believe what she was hearing. “Applejack, this isn’t your fault,” she said.

But Applejack’s head lowered just a bit more. “That’s the funny thing ‘bout fate, sugarcube. There ain't no way to predict where it’s gonna take us, but the consequences are always ours ta deal with. Ah learned that today.”

Applejack’s head lifted then, her gaze lifting to settle squarely on Vigil. “if Ah’d come clean with ya and the gals, none of this woulda happened. We coulda nipped this in the bud ‘fore it got this bad. But… Ah didn’t.”

Applejack chuckled humorlessly to herself. “Some Element of Honesty Ah turned out ta be, huh?”

“Applejack, that’s not true,” Rainbow said firmly. “You know that.”

“That’s why Ah know this is my responsibility,” Applejack stated just as resolutely. “If Ah’m the one ta blame, then Ah’m gonna own up ta what Ah did wrong, and do everythin’ Ah can ta make it right.”

She raised her voice suddenly, shouting at the top of her lungs, throwing her voice at the focus of her anger. “Ya hear that, Vigil? Ya ain't gonna win, no matter what ya do ta me, and Ah’m gonna make ya pay for EVERYPONY ya hurt along the way!”

Vigil stared back at her, his mouth a razor thin line. “Yet again, ‘Your Highness’,” he said coldly, “you misunderstand. You see… I’ve already won.”

“Uh, I call cow patty,” Rainbow said, voice dripping with skepticism.

“Deny it all you want,” Vigil responded indifferently, “but the simple truth of the matter remains. I’ve won.”

“And how do ya reckon that,” Applejack challenged, cocking an eyebrow.

“Did you ever stop to wonder why I mounted a full-scale attack on Ponyville,” Vigil asked.

“Yeah,” Rainbow said with dubious incredulity, “be… cause you’re evil. What’s not to get?”

Vigil had to fight down the urge to roll his eyes. “Call it what you like, the simple fact of the matter is that everyone in that ridiculous village will know who – or rather, what – perpetrated the attack on them.”

Applejack’s eyes grew wide as the realization struck her just as Vigil went on.

“Every mare, stallion and foal will have the fear of changelings put into their hearts, as it should be. Even if you succeed here, Applejack, you will be nothing but a monster to them. It is inevitable that, one day, you will be cast out, and then you will have no choice but to come to us.”

Applejack felt cold under Vigil’s icy glare, like he was literally freezing the blood in her veins.

“In the end, you will serve Her Highness Queen Chrysalis. It is only a matter of how much pain you want to put yourself through,” he stated. “If you come with me now, the attack on Ponyville will end. Your friends and family will not be harmed any further. Or… you can let this drag out to the bitter end. The choice is yours, though we both know what the inevitable outcome will be.”

Silence fell over the hall, save for the telltale rattle of rain and wind pelting the walls and windows and the bellowing crack of thunder.

Applejack stood stalk still, her eyes wide with shock, her mind reeling. Rainbow attempted to keep her brave, enraged façade, but even she felt her heart clenching tight in her chest.

Rainbow was determined not to look at her friend in order to gauge her reaction. But it was getting increasingly harder by the second.

Vigil merely waited, supremely confident. All there was left to do was wait for the proud mare to relent…

“You underestimate us.”

Vigil blinked in surprise. Those words had come from Applejack – he’d seen it. What was more, the look she was giving him wasn’t one of defeat or resignation.

To his complete disbelief, Applejack was looking right back at him exactly as before; determined, undaunted… unbowed.

“You just don’t get it, do ya,” Applejack shot hotly. “You ain't ever gonna know what it means ta be a pony.”

Applejack took a step forward, a razor sharp edge to her glare. “Ya may get ‘em ta hate ya for a while, Ah ain't gonna deny that. But there ain't a single honest pony under Celestia’s sun that ain't capable of forgiveness! All they need ta see is the good in somepony’s heart, and they’ll give ‘em a chance without so much as a second thought!”

Applejack raised one hoof and placed it over her heart. Only then did she notice how hard it was beating as it pounded against her ribs, but she didn’t allow herself to get distracted by that – not even for a second. “Ah saw that for myself when we all met Zecora, and Princess Luna, too. And… Ah experienced it myself, thanks ta Rainbow.”

The cyan pegasus blinked once in surprise, but said nothing.

“It ain't gonna be easy,” Applejack went on, her voice dropping slightly, “Ah know that… But there’s a whole heap o’ folks out there countin’ on me. That’s why Ah know this is a fight worth fightin’.”

Applejack took another step forward, her eyes positively burning now. For just a split second, Vigil could’ve sworn he saw a flash of amber pulse through her eyes like the glint off a twin set of topaz.

“And Ah ain't ever gonna back down. Ah’m through with runnin’.”

Vigil stared down at the two ponies, his expression of disbelief unusually easy to read. For a moment, words failed him entirely.

A part of him had anticipated she’d resist; it was practically a certainty, though he’d held out hope that she’d be at least a little sensible and selfless.

But this… He had not expected this. Applejack was resisting, but not out of some stubborn, bullheaded sense of denial.

He could see it plain as day on her face; she meant every word she’d just said without even a twinge of doubt. She actually believed what she was saying was reality.

“Foolishness…,” he growled, filling the silence that’d fallen between them. “What complete foolishness. What you are saying is nothing more than ideological fantasy.”

Vigil glared back at Applejack, and it was a real effort on his part not to grind his teeth. “If you wish to fight to the bitter end, there’s no need for such delusion.”

“Ah ain't deluded,” Applejack snapped furiously. “Ah meant every word Ah said!”

“Yes, and that’s what worries me,” Vigil responded in a clipped, thin tone. “You actually think that’s the way the world works. Well then, ‘Your Highness’…”

Without warning, Vigil’s horn crackled to life. Barely restrained sparks of fury shot off the tip, his entire horn glowing as if engulfed in angry flames.

“It’s time you faced reality,” he seethed, just before he lowered his head and jabbed his horn straight at his target.

A fireball tore out of the tip, lighting up the entire hall in a bright, eerie green light for the split second it took for it to streak to its target.

But the spell was never intended for Applejack, or Rainbow. Instead, it ripped into the masonry between them and Vigil, colliding with a deafening bang. The entire hall – possibly even the whole tower – trembled under the force of the impact.

Rainbow and Applejack leapt back instinctively, but it was already too late.

They heard something crack and splinter. Green light raced through cracks beneath their hooves, growing from the epicenter of the spell’s impact to fill every corner of the room.

When Applejack looked down, she saw exactly what was happening. The mortar between the stone bricks underhoof was glowing brilliantly with changeling magic. And before her very eyes, it was eroded away into nothing.

Applejack and Rainbow only had enough time to gasp sharply and instinctively grab hold of one another before the entire floor beneath them collapsed under its own weight and took everything with it; every table, every book case, and more importantly, both mares.

Applejack’s hind legs wheeled helplessly through the open air for a moment in a futile bid for traction that just wasn’t there anymore, and then she found herself plummeting all over again.

Both mares cried out in panic as they fell amid a chaotic avalanche of debris as it thundered down en masse, taking out everything beneath it. It was by some miracle alone that Applejack and Rainbow weren’t crushed or bashed amid the tumbling chunks of building material, but it was a hollow comfort.

Because they knew what had to come next.

Applejack only just registered the sight of the ground sailing up towards her. She braced for the inevitable, only barely having enough time to pray to be spared from the hailstorm of timber and stone raining down all around her…

Something like a mid-summer’s breeze blew over her without warning.

The apple farmer barely registered a bright flash of emerald, a compressing darkness… and the world disappeared entirely.

~~***~~

Vigil stared down into the yawning hole he’d made of the hall’s floor, a brow quirking up.

Even amid the chaotic clutter and rising dust cloud, he hadn’t missed the bright green light that flashed through the darkness below.

In no way had that come from Applejack. It was too polished, too refined. Almost like…

“Your timing is impeccable as always, I see,” Vigil stated aloud, still eying down into the abyss below.

Yet, he was more than acutely aware of the presence behind him. The emerald flicker of light had been so subtle, too.

He knew of only one with that level of skill with teleporting. And she was just the mare he was hoping to see.

Vigil turned then, aiming a frigid glare over his shoulder at the one behind him.

A seasoned changeling stood behind him, one with light gray streaks shot through her scraggly mane and a hard edge to her featureless blue eyes.

“So, you finally decided to show yourself,” Vigil said, the venom barely contained in his voice. “I was beginning to wonder if I’d have to hunt you down myself.”

Hyacinth met his glare, thoroughly unfazed. “You certainly are in a bad mood,” she commented, doing a much better job at hiding the bite edging her words.

“And whose fault do you think that is?” Vigil quipped, eyes narrowing.

Without waiting for a response, he turned back around, once more throwing his gaze out the smashed window and to the inundated land beyond. Or, more importantly, towards the plumes of smoke rising throughout the vague shapes of buildings in the distance.

“If you hadn’t interfered,” he stated, “I would not need to go to such lengths. Arranging such a display was never a part of the plan.”

Once more, he leveled a look at Hyacinth that could’ve chilled an ice cube. “And then you went and betrayed me.”

Hyacinth met that look without care, indifferent to her former captain’s rising anger. “Saying I betrayed you implies I was on your side to begin with,” she stated coolly.

She could barely see the tint of confusion in the back of Vigil’s furious glare, but it was barely a footnote.

“I see… Well, once I return to the Hive with Applejack, I’ll be sure to track down the one that sent you and see to it that her end is not a pleasant one,” he said in a thin voice.

Hyacinth’s indifferent, stony façade broke for a moment, giving way for a slight frown to cross her brow. “Vigil… enough. It’s over – you have to know that. You’ve failed, and yet you continue to make matters worse. Surely you must see that your only hope now is to cut your losses.”

“I do not need you to tell me what is happening around me,” he snapped. This time, he turned around fully to face his former subordinate, his expression icy and murderous. “You are as much to blame for this mess as Applejack and her friend. The two of you forced my hoof on this matter.”

Vigil squared his shoulders, every muscle in his body tensing. “Queen Chrysalis requires a figurehead for our kind to rally behind. Only then will her rightful place as Queen of Queens be secured.”

Hyacinth sighed lightly in resignation. “I expected as much. Well… I tried Applejack’s way.”

Almost immediately after she finished speaking, all of the emotion in her expression seemed to wither up and die, leaving only unfeeling, uncaring ice in her eyes.

“Now I’ll try my way.”

And with that, both changelings lunged at each other with a murderous hiss.

~~***~~

Applejack was ejected into the open air once more with all the gentleness of being fired out of a cannon.

She yelped, legs wheeling through the open air fruitlessly as she went up… then right back down, landing soundly on her rump.

But the first thing Applejack became aware of was not the sharp pain in her tailbone, though it was a close second. No, the first thing she noticed was the strange smell in the air around her.

The air was stuffy and stagnant, and bore an almost rubbery aroma to it, mixed with something sour.

In the near-total gloom around her, Applejack could make out numerous strange, alien shapes all around her. She couldn’t tell where she was, or even if she was in a pony-made room or some kind of beast’s lair. All she knew for sure was that the space was confined, almost to the point of being claustrophobic.

There were strange sounds all around her – shifting… creaking… moaning…

“Ow…”

“Oh horseapples! Rainbow!”

Applejack could just make out the pony’s form lying splatted on the ground, spread eagle amidst something too lumpy to be soil…

“This… day… sucks… so bad,” she moaned emphatically, not even bothering to rise.

Applejack immediately rushed to her side, deeply worried. “Are ya alright, sugarcube?”

Rainbow just groaned again, but it was the disgruntled, long-suffering note in that groan that spoke volumes for her case.

Just as AJ reached her friend, however, something cold and brittle touched her hoof. She paused, taken aback by the crisp crunch not dissimilar to eggshells being trodden underhoof.

“What in tarnation?” Applejack muttered to herself, trying to pierce the gloom to see just what she’d stepped on. It felt odd; rubbery, yet rigid, like plastic, and yet so very brittle at the same time.

That was when she became aware of another voice groaning in the darkness – one too light to belong to Rainbow.

“Wha… where am I…?” the voice moaned, sounding groggy and dazed. “And… You’re not Bon Bon…”

Rainbow yelped and jolted upright and off the figure of a mare. For it was a mare, even if all she could see of her was bare traces of golden eyes and a white streak in her mane.

“What the…!” RD gasped, completely thrown for a loop. “Where’d you come from?”

“I could ask you the same…,” the mare started to say, but trailed off. Judging by the fact that her eyes were starting to grow wide, she’d just realized who was standing over her.

“…Rainbow Dash? How’d you get here?” she asked, the drowsiness slipping out of her voice almost right away.

“I have no idea,” Rainbow said with absolute certainty, earning her a baffled look from the mare beneath her.

But Applejack was less unknowing. She’d been subjected to a changeling’s teleportation spell plenty of times in the last twenty four hours to pick up on their nuances.

And immediately, a culprit jumped to mind. “Hyacinth,” she muttered.

Her voice was just loud enough to draw Rainbow’s attention, drawing her gaze towards her. “What, you think she had something to do with this?”

“Ah’d bet bits on it,” Applejack stated with certainty.

But that just left the all-important question; just where in the wide world of Equestria were they?

As she sat there pondering, however, an idea started to emerge in her head, one that made her skin crawl.

Suddenly, the crunchy brittle bits underhoof shot up to the forefront of her mind.

Abruptly, Applejack was moving, feeling her way through the darkness.

“Applejack, what’re you doing?” Rainbow asked, perplexed. She could hear her friend moving around in the darkness, but could only make out her shape moving away from her and little else.

Rainbow’s answer was not a verbal one. Instead of a spoken explanation, what she got was a peculiar, wooden thud as Applejack’s hoof collided with something solid.

“There…,” she muttered to herself, then raised her voice. “Ah found the door… Ah think.”

“That’s great,” Rainbow said hesitantly, “but what are you…?”

She heard the door rattle, then again – louder this time.

“Of all the… it’s locked,” Applejack growled.

But rather than give up, Rainbow heard her continue to try to force the door open. Pretty soon it sounded like she was all-but assaulting the dang thing, what with the grunts of effort and the loud bangs of hoof on wood.

“Just… one… more…!” she grunted, cocked her legs, and struck out with all her strength.

But it wasn’t the door that gave up. It was its hinges.

With her last buck, Applejack sheered the door clean off its frame with such velocity that it shot into the hallway beyond hard enough to strike the far wall, split, and fall over.

“There,” Applejack breathed, ignoring the pair of stunned eyes staring at her from behind. “That should…”

Applejack had just turned around, and what she saw drove her comment into the furthest recesses of her mind.

With the light of the torches out in the newly opened corridor invading the once-dark room, Applejack got her first true glimpse of the horror that laid inside, made all the worse by a single fact.

She’d been right.

The entire space was filled to the brim with dozens upon dozens of jade, glass-like cocoons. Whatever purpose the room bore was completely obscured behind a literal curtain of changeling pods.

Some looked almost disturbingly elegant, like glass bird cages blown from expert hooves, while others could've been crude wads of material affixed to whatever surface could bear their weight.

They all hung from the ceiling and clung to the walls in dense clusters so thick that hardly anything was visible of the stone masonry they were secured to.

And in every single one hung a pony. Familiar faces hung all around them, suspended upside down within jade pods.

Young, old, stallion, mare; all were present in the collection. Not one stirred, and were they in any other natural position, they could’ve simply been sleeping peacefully.

Only a small alcove by the door existed that wasn’t filled with comatose prisoners, and nearly all that small space was taken up by Rainbow and a minty green mare lying on the ground beneath her.

She was covered in bits and pieces of what’d once been a cocoon, most of which had been shattered presumably by Rainbow when she’d collided with it. Bits of green shell littered the area, and seemingly the only bit that remained was the swirly stem that jutted off the low ceiling.

For a moment, Applejack could only stare, her brain failing her. “Holy… mother of Celestia,” she breathed, horrorstruck.

“There’s got to be dozens of them,” Rainbow said, just as flabbergasted.

She seemed to completely forget about the mare beneath her, who seemed to be losing more and more color by the second as she looked around.

All three took a minute or two to recover. The shock still rattled around inside Applejack’s head, but she was starting to fight it down.

“Come on, RD. We gotta get these ponies down,” she said, still shaken.

Rainbow was still for a moment, eyes still wide and staring, before she focused again. “Right…”

As Rainbow shook the daze from her head, Applejack approached the other mare in the room.

She was a unicorn – one with a minty green coat and – currently very frightful – golden eyes.

“You doin’ alright, sugarcube?” she asked, smiling a little.

“Been better,” the unicorn mare sqeaked.

“Well don’t you worry,” she stated. “We’re here ta rescue ya. Now… mind tellin’ me yer name?”

“Lyra,” the mare responded right away. “Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Ah know you,” Applejack said, the name ringing a bell. “Yer always with that Bon Bon gal when she drops by the stand ta buy apples every week.”

“Y-yeah, heh, that’s me,” Lyra said, chuckling a little, sounding slightly sheepish.

Applejack smiled a little more. “Well, just sit tight, Lyra. We’ll get this all sorted out right quick.”

“Hey Applejack,” called Rainbow abruptly, interrupting the two, “Could you, I don’t know, give me a hoof?”

“Don’t go gettin’ yer tail in a twist. Ah’m comin’,” Applejack sighed, trotting over to her friend.

Rainbow gave her an impatient look, but said nothing. Instead, she fell into step beside her friend as they approached the nearest cocoon, shoulders squared.

“Reckon we aughta just buck it?” Applejack said as they drew level.

“Why do you even have to ask,” Rainbow griped, rolling her eyes theatrically.

“Well, we don’t wanna hurt the pony in… side…”

Rainbow glanced back to the apple farmer, confused, only to find that the mare in question wasn’t even looking at her.

No, her eyes were dead set on the pod in front of her, her eyes growing wider and wider as she ground to a halt.

“Applejack, what’s…,” Rainbow started to say. As she spoke, she followed Applejack’s gaze, peering into the glassy confines of the changeling pod.

And there, hanging upside down, apparently sound asleep… was Lyra.

Both mares froze, shock wracking through them once more, striking them both momentarily dumb.

But the minty-green unicorn hanging inside the pod didn’t miraculously shapeshift into something that’d make more sense.

As one, both Applejack and Rainbow exchanged looks, then glanced over their shoulders in unison.

A minty unicorn mare just stared back at them, perplexed, big eyes blinking curiously. “What’s up?”

Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash exchanged another totally discombobulated look.

Had that Lyra not just come out of a changeling pod, the conclusion would’ve been a very easy one. But she had come out of one of these prisons. That fact alone just didn’t mesh with any explanation the two ponies could come up with.

After a long, drawn out moment, it was Rainbow that spoke up first. “Lyra… Are you a twin?”

The unicorn gave Rainbow a look like she’d just been asked what colors tasted like. “Not the last time I checked. Why?”

Rainbow once more looked at her friend, a totally lost look on her face. “Well I’m stumped.”

The unicorn looked back and forth between the two, nearly as lost as they were. “What are you two – ohmygosh!”

Both Rainbow and Applejack jumped nearly halfway out of their hides when Lyra yelped like that. When they spun around, they found the mare peering into a completely different pod, much to their surprise.

“Bon Bon! Bon Bon, wake up!” she cried out, panic-stricken, pounding her hooves against the outside of the pod, causing it to sway slightly.

The occupant didn’t rouse in the slightest. Both Rainbow and Applejack could see her dark blue and contrastingly bright pink-streaked mane hanging down around her ears, exposing the nape of the imprisoned mare’s creamy neck.

But no matter what Lyra did, the pony in the pod didn’t so much as twitch in reaction.

“Bon Bon!”

A pang of pity hit Applejack then. She took a step forward and opened her mouth, only a split second away from offering her assistance.

Rainbow’s hoof caught her first, however.

Applejack threw a slightly indignant look at her friend, only to find the pegasus looking wide eyed not at her, but at something off to the farmer’s right.

Using the same hoof she’d just used to waylay her friend, Rainbow pointed without a word, though her wide eyes said enough.

A part of Applejack very much didn’t want to turn to look. But a sense of morbid curiosity won the debate, if only just.

Applejack turned to face the thing Rainbow was still pointing at; another cocoon, hanging amid countless others.

A cocoon imprisoning a pony with a dark blue and pink mane.

Behind Lyra and unbeknownst to her, both Rainbow and Applejack were sharing yet another deeply confused, now slightly disturbed look, but it was Dash that summed up their thoughts in a single sentence.

“Just what the hay is going on around here?

Author's Note:

Yes, I'm not dead, but could I be any later?
I do apologize for the steadily increasing wait between chapters, but this one especially was a tricky one to work with -- especially that last scene. I must've wrote it, scrapped it, rewrote it, re-scrapped it, reimagined it, almost threw it out entirely, and then settled on that. In the end, though, I think it'll be for the better, and I can keep my original idea for the way the next bit will play out. So there's that.
And by now I know I probably sound like a freaking broken record, but I'll keep saying it anyway; two more chapters to go! For sure this time! For realsies! Pinkie pr-- no, probably shouldn't go that far...
Anyway, I'll try to get the next one out in a more timely fashion (Finals should be over next week, and then I have the whole summer knock on wood to devote to writing.
So, give me your feedback, and I'll see you in the next one.