• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 578 Views, 12 Comments

Random Task vs. Equestria - GutiuSerenade



Random Task meets the mare of his dreams, but if he wants to be with her he must defeat her six evil exes. Is he up for the challenge? Or is he doomed to be another ex-coltfriend among their ranks?

  • ...
1
 12
 578

Chapter 3: If You Could Read My Mind

The sun was setting over Ponyville and the group had met at the Cider Factory as planned. They sat in their usual corner booth next to the jukebox. The maroon bench cushion wrapped around the table, seating Random Task and four of his friends. Two mugs of cider, a scotch glass, and a glass of apple juice with a straw sat on the table before them as Task told them about his eventful day.

"...and she called me out on the radio! Me! Calling me a hero bringing her donuts and all. It was awesome!"

"Oh, did she?" asked Serenade. "That was cool of her!"

"You sure she wasn't talking about you, Serenade?" asked Red Glayr.

"Of course not. It had to be for Tas! He delivered breakfast, I just brought the box down the hall 'n shared the wealth." Serenade paused a moment. "Well, she threw in too, but still... we were hungry, okay?"

"So she called your name out on the air?" asked Scorch. "I'd love to tell other ponies that I got a celebrity roomie."

"Well, she didn't say my name. I didn't get a chance to meet her either... but she dedicated a song to me! One from the CD Serenade gave me!"

Serenade jolted to attention when he heard this news, almost spilling his drink inches from his muzzle. "You've listened to it already then? That's good to hear! I can only assume that you like it, what with your excitement and all, right?"

"Her music is amazing, Sere."

Serenade's stomach turned at the sound of the nickname. For whatever reason it sounded too feminine to him. He took it with a grain of salt as always and let his friend continue.

"You weren't kidding when you said it can get inside your head! I turned on track seven like you said, and well... I don't remember much after that. It was so hypnotic and put me to sleep almost instantly. Even with how stressed I've been lately."

"Stressed?" asked Red curiously. "What's wrong, Tas?"

"Oh, it's nothing really, just that every chance you guys get you tell me to ask Pinkie out!"

The booth fell silent. Red took a sip of cider from his mug. Serenade cleared his throat. Scorch decided to point out the elephant in the room.

"Sooooo did you ask her out?"

"Can I finish my other story first?"

"Hahaha, oh Tas." Scorch took a hefty gulp of cider from his mug, letting out a satisfied "ahh" as he set his mug back on the table. "No," he matter-of-factly responded with a pleasant smile. "Now did you ask her out or noooot?"

Task could hear the whining in Scorch's voice. He couldn't resist it's allure, but it was more out of annoyance than charm.

Task gave a flat stare. "Fine, yes, I asked her and she said 'yes'."

He held his flat look while the other three ponies threw their hooves up in the air with glee. In Red's own excitement, he neglected the fact he still had his mug in his hoof and spilled what was left in his mug.

The rogue beverage landed on a pegasus passerby. His charcoal black coat remained relatively untouched, but his brown flight jacket was drenched along with his sky blue mane, which had fallen over his face.

Task immediately burst out laughing at the display.

"Heh... whoops. Sorry, Cloud Cover."

Cloud Cover
Former job: Flight Commander
Current Job: Cider Factory Bartender, knows everypony
Rating: 8/10
Hobbies: Aerial stunts, Procrastination, Procrastinating stunt practice

The ponies could only see the frown on their friend's face; his soaked mane covered the rest of his expression.

Cloud Cover began speaking with his mane still over his face and mouth still visible. He sounded slightly irritated, but after working at a crazy establishment as The Cider Factory, he had dealt with worse. "Uhh Roger Wilco, Red Chief. We have a positive on a sticky, consumable liquid that can be laundered easily at approximately 2330 hours."

"...what in the Goddess' graces did you just say?" asked Serenade. The others shared his look of confusion.

A curious look appeared on Scorch's face. "Wait a sec, I think I can break this one down." He stroked his goatee with a hoof while he analyzed the speech. "I think it was something like "it's okay, I can wash it later", right?"

Cloud Cover wiped his wet mane from his face. "Affirmative!"

Serenade sighed and laughed. "Well, we weren't all in Canterlot's air force. Careful CC, Scorch likes their manes wet."

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I do. Mmmmm," replied Scorch raising his eyebrows bemused.

Cloud Cover sidestepped away from Scorch. "Aaaaaand going to go dark on comms to get Red Chief a cider refill. Cloud Cover is Oscar Mike." And with that he fluttered back to the bar.

Task wiped the last tears from his eyes. "That... was one of the funniest things... I've ever seen," he said, catching is breath from all the laughter.

"Wait, so now his name is Os-" Serenade began.

"Oh, that's right! Sooooo what happened after you asked her out?" asked Red interrupting Serenade.

"Just gonna let this one go, huh?" mumbled Serenade to nopony in particular.

"Red, does that even need explanation?" he asked coyly. "Typical Pinkie fashion, she essentially pounced on me in a hug."

"D'awwww," remarked Scorch.

"I went to make my deliveries and we met back at Sugarcube Corner for lunch. I'm still not sure where I'm going with this whole thing, but for now I'm guessing I'll just see what happens. Can I get back to my other story now? It actually kinda ties in to the stuff with Pinkie."

"Oh? How so?" asked Serenade leaning forward interestedly.

"Well... about Pinkie's big party next week. It's not just your average party..."

///000\\\

"...the Equestrian Music Festival?"

"And guess who's kicking it off with most splendiferous of musical music parties ever?"

"Y-" Task got a pink hoof in his mouth.

"Obvious answer! Me!" She giggled. "And what better way than to kick off a festival with a Pinkie Pie party?! Ohmigosh, it's a party to kick off an ongoing party, so we're going to need streamers and balloons and do they make balloons in the shapes of music notes? I'm sure we can figure that out when we get all the supplies!"

"Pinkie, hold up a sec!" Task waved his hooves in front of her to get her attention before she got on another tangent. Music festival? Is that what Sparkz and the Forcez of Nature are coming to town for?"

"Yup yup! Ponyville's hosting this music festival and there's gonna be bands and singers and performers coming from all across Equestria!"

If Task was smiling before, now he was beaming. Mix Tape would have so much stuff to write about! Bands, DJs, solo artists, the possibilities were endless!

"Say Pinkie... any chance you have a list of performers coming to Ponyville for this whole thing?"

"Hmmm... nope! But..." She rested a foreleg on the table and rested her head on it. "For you?" she started, reaching over and playfully flicking his hat with her other hoof. "I'll see what I can do, Tazzy!"

Feeling as though his hat was about to fall off his head, Task hastily brought his hooves to his head to adjust his hat. The action was treated as a life or death manner.

Pinkie couldn't help but giggle at the display. "You're cute when you're silly, Tas." His unsure eyes drifted towards her. Concerned that she may have said something wrong, she quickly changed topic. "I'm, um, not entirely sure I'll be able to get the list of music artists," she said trying to hide her blush. "So far, the pony sponsoring the event is keeping quiet on musicians."

Task nodded. "Yeah, I guess I can understand that."

"Oh! Hey! You're usually "up" on the music scene, right?!" Pinkie asked in sudden realization. "There's one thing you can definitely help me with for the kickoff party next week!" She lowered her head and smiled. "That is, if you can?" she asked with a pleading look on her face.

"Wha'cha have in mind Pinkie?"

"See everypony knows that I throw the wildest bestest best parties in Ponyville, but that's just in Ponyville. If we're getting ponies from all over Equestria, then I want to make sure I'm starting off a big humongous music festival the right way! So... do you think you could help me pick out some music for the party?"

Task didn't think he could brighten any more during this conversation, but somehow he did. "Sure! You know... I think my friend Bookmark just recently started carrying music CDs at the Book Fort-"

///00000\\\
"Oh, hey, you were paying attention to that conversation."

"Shut up, Scorch."
///00000\\\
"Maybe sometime this week we can go check?"

"Yes!!" Pinkie exclaimed. "How does Thursday sound?"

"Works for me."

Pinkie giggled. "It's a date!"
///000\\\

Serenade slammed a hoof on the table, causing other ponies to turn in their direction. "Another nickname! HA! I love it!"

"Don't even think about it," Task replied quickly, killing his friend's fun.

"Aww."

"So basically we're going music shopping on Thursday. Does that answer your questions guys?"

"Yeah buddy, I'm glad you guys are finally getting something started," remarked Red as a pitcher of cider was placed in front of him. Cloud Cover's mane was still damp over his head.

"...and I guess while I'm there I could look for new music to review for Ponyville Press." Task sighed and held his head in his hooves. "I'll have a lot of music reviews and shows to write about when the festival starts up."

Cloud Cover perked up. "Sayyyyy, local unit Cloud Cover has some possible intel on an idea, over."

Task sighed and replied blandly. "Reading you loud and clear, go ahead Cloud Cover, over."

"Roger copy that, uhhhhhhhh why not write a review on the CD you borrowed from comrade Serenade?"

Task blinked.

Serenade tilted his head. "Hey, that's not a bad idea! Wait does that make me a commu-"

"Oh duh, why didn't I think of that before?!"

Scorch nudged him with a hoof. "Probably because you were so excited about the music festival in general, I bet."

"Be advised, reports indicate that an article of that caliber would elicit positive feedback and great publicity for aforementioned festival, over," Cloud Cover added sagely.

"I should've thought of it sooner... I mean, the tracks are all amazing. And the song you recommended I listen to painted these perfect images in the dream I had last night."

Serenade tilted his head. "...A dream, you say? Ha. You really do have an ear for this kinda thing, eh?"

"He also has a habit of waking me up when he's having them. At least he sounds sort of cute when he's talking in his sleep." Scorch lifted his mug to take a sip of cider, but paused a moment. "Since he doesn’t drink, that'll probably be the closest to drunk I'd ever see him!"

While his friends continued to jest at his expense, Task thought to himself for a few moments. This could be the perfect opportunity to give one of his favorite music artists the push they needed to make it big. Random Task knew his music review in the Ponyville Press could have some influence by generating an informative review on a musician. But Mix Tape's music review on DJ-P0N3 in a national music magazine could potentially grant stellar reviews. And right before the Equestrian Music Festival, no less. The timing couldn't be better!

Levitating his own drink back down to the table, Serenade rested his head on a hoof. "As much as I would love to hear about this dream, I think I'll save the spoilers for your article." He said with a chuckle. Either way, the other radio DJs and I like to gauge what's popular based on music reviews, and yours are no exception Tas."

Tas snapped back to reality. "Heh. Thanks, Serenade." Time to be evasive and cover up his identity and plan. "I really do want to write a review on her, but... I'm a bit backed up with a list of others I need to get through, too." Task feigned a yawn. "in fact," he said mid-yawn, "I should probably... get home and get some writing done before bed. Hate to fall behind, eh?"

Task's friends all raised an eyebrow at his sudden shift in mannerisms.

"Hah, whatever mang" Red said.

"Alrighty then." Serenade laughed.

"Roger that," replied Cloud Cover.

"Ten bits says he's still awake when I get home," remarked Scorch.

"Like you wouldn't do things to me in my sleep," Task said getting up from his table. "Well, music calls guys. I'll see you when I see you!" And with that, Task briskly trotted out of the bar.

Scorch put a hoof to his goatee and stroked it. "...if I didn't know better, I'd say he was hiding something."

Red looked back at the remaining group at the table. "Yeah, and he seemed to leave in an awful hurry all of a sudden."

"Heh, I wouldn't worry about it guys. He's just excited about doing what he does best!" Serenade chimed in. "Take it from a stallion that works in the industry. Music's a powerful thing. And if there's anypony who understands music... it's definitely our buddy Task."

*****

"...anyone can say that a work of music is magical, or indescribable, but such is its splendor as I've said many times before. However, it's very difficult to make the music speak like DJ-P0n3 has done - with electronic music no less. There are so many producers these days who aim for "just the right chord" or "the perfect drop" and even in some cases "the sickest wubs". While that's all well and good, DJ-P0n3's album tells a story. You can feel her tunes shaping your emotions and making you feel what she's felt - joy, sorrow, rage, but most important of all... passion. And of course, all stories have a history, and what better way to express the past than decorating one's music with elements of nostalgia. You know what I'm talking about - music we grew up to when we were foals.

This album has it all. While not to say it trumps most music I've reviewed lately, because all music speaks a different language, you will love this album even if you're not as deeply analytical as I am. You'll dance, you'll chill, you'll loop the tracks time and again. With the Equestrian Music Festival coming up in Ponyville, the event planners would be wise to heed this suggestion. DJ-P0n3 is an up-and-coming artist that is due to take Equestria by storm! And she couldn't have a better opportunity to kick start that career at the festival. You better believe I'll be there to witness it next week. Maybe I'll see you there. But then again... maybe not!"

"That's great and all, Tas, but do you always need to talk out loud when you're writing?"

Task's head perked up, his face turned red from embarrassment.

"Uh... I guess it helps when I'm getting to the climax of my work. I get excited. Heh..." he said sheepishly.

"Oh, no problem. I know how that goes," Scorch suggestively surmised as he waggled his eyebrows. "Finish it up and get to bed already."

At least he could keep his closing piece to himself.

"As always, I'm Mix Tape... and that's the way the bass drops."

And with that, Task ripped the parchment from the typewriter and proofread his work in the light of his candle. Everything looked to be in order, and this article felt like it was the first in ages that was so easy to write, and with such a near-perfect review. Task packaged his review and put it on the table by the door, so he would remember it when he left the next day. Yawning deeply, he trotted over to the blow-up bed and practically flopped onto the edge of the mattress. He began to slowly close his eyes... until he felt a pair of hooves sneak across his shoulders.

"Euuugh," Task groaned shoving Scorch's hooves off.

"Tas, why don't we cuddle anymore?" Scorch asked with feigned sincerity.

"We never cuddle. Ever." Task shifted even further along the edge of the mattress. "Besides, wouldn't Braeburn get jealous?"

"Yeah Scorch, y'all t'ain't bein' fair," Braeburn said sitting up on the other side of Scorch. "Ah come alllll the way over here from AaaaaaapplLOOSA, and y'all go 'n give yer roommate that kinda attention?"

"You owe me ten bits, Braeburn. He was still awake when we got home. Go back to sleep."

Braeburn sighed, defeated. "Alrigh', fine," he said flopping his head back down.

Scorch nudged his roommate. "Try not to keep us up tonight with any crazy dreams, alright Tas?" He rolled back over in bed. "Night, buddy."

As excited as he was to get the article out for Equestrian Music Monthly, Task felt so giddy that he wasn't sure if he could even get to sleep. The anticipation of possibly meeting one of his new favorite artists excited him to no end. He at least made an attempt to go to sleep and closed his eyes. He could already hear her music carrying him off to sleep...

*****
...as a purple mist began to cloud his vision.

"Hello?"

Through the fog, he saw the dark outline of a stallion. The shadow pony stood firm facing away from Task. He was taller than the others he'd seen in his dream a few nights prior.

"Who's there?"

The stallion turned his head around as though he had heard Task for the first time. His body seemed insubstantial, covered in deep shadows and smoke. Suddenly it parted revealing to Task the unicorn's broad shape. His mane parted around his face, framing it perfectly such that Task could see his eyes of pure white over a pair of perfectly square-framed glasses that sat on his muzzle.

The stallion smirked and squinted his eyes maliciously; the world around Task grew darker as a distorted, an electronic screeching noise began piercing the serene music that was gracing his ears. The frames on the silhouette's glasses cracked at the sound but he seemed unaffected, only squinting harder and holding his mouth in a sharp line. Task listened with confusion as the sharp screeching sound seemed to build and get louder and louder until it seemed as though it was physically pressing down on him.

"Ur-URGH... why... so dark?!" he shouted. The pressure was becoming unbearable. The gravity around him intensified as he struggled to stay on his hooves. No good. Whatever this stallion was doing, it felt wrong. Task could still breathe, he could still walk, he could still think... but he felt as though his very motivation was faltering, as if some kind of force was oppressing and depressing him at the same time. It couldn't be... the song? It felt as though the shadow was using the song itself against him.

Task became dizzy and could barely stand on his hooves anymore. He fell to the ground, and could feel himself begin to black out...

A streak of light blue energy struck the midpoint between Task and the silhouette pony. A shockwave of the same color pulsed from the impact point causing the darkness to disperse and the screeching to stop. Task's ears still rung from the noise, but the sweet sound of the original song filled them just as well.

The shockwave knocked the stallion silhouette back several feet and shattered what remained of his glasses. He still stood firm, but he was clearly damaged from the beam.

"See? It's not that dark," came a mare's voice. Task couldn't quite place it in his disposition, but it sounded all too familiar.

Task turned behind him to face the voice only to see electric blue streak blast by his vision, startling him. He turned to follow it, but found the beam difficult to keep up with. He turned back to the stallion, who also had his eyes on the beam. When Tas' vision adjusted to the light, he saw it was a trail. An electric blue disc of pure magic energy buzzed through the air. The stallio reared on his hind legs as if to challenge the disc.

He was too slow.

In a burst of energy, the disc sped up and pierced through the silhouette. The stallion dispersed a misty black cloud and faded away.

"Sometimes..." came the mare's voice. He felt a pony's head brush against the side of his head. His peripherals identified an electric blue mane in the corner of his vision. "...you just need someone to help you light the way!"

A rich scent of vanilla rendered him paralyzed. A cream colored hoof touched his shoulder. Tas wanted to stand there and bask in the pony's fragrance as well as her touch. He could feel the images around him beginning to fade, but her touch felt so real...

*****

He was onto his roommate's game now.

"Celestia dammit Scorch, I don't wanna cuddle!" Task yelled flailing his hooves on the mattress.

Alone.

Task jerked his head around in search of his roommate. Scorch perked up from the dining table across the room. "Oh. Mornin'," he said with his mouth full of Crunchatrice cereal.

Task blinked and looked around awkwardly. "Uh... yeah. Morning," he said climbing off the bed. "Any idea what time it is?"

"Eleven-oh-eight," replied Scorch after taking another bite of cereal.

"Oh," said Task. The sound of glass shattered in his mind when realization overtook him.

"Eleven-oh-eight?! I was supposed to meet Pinkie like ten minutes ago! How could I forget to set my alarm?!"

Scorch swallowed. His cereal, that is to say. "Woah, take it easy Tas," Scorch said trying to calm his friend down. You've slept pretty soundly in the past few days than I've seen you sleep in awhile. I can't say I know why, but it's good to see you... y'know let go of things."

Task snorted. "I... let go of things," he remarked ambiguously.

"Sure you do. When you're done overanalyzing everything."

Scorch had a point. Task's skill was analyzing and understanding music. It's what made Mix Tape such a famous writer across Equestria. But outside of writing, his life was all about statistics and it showed. Especially when it came to personal relationships.

"It was a big step giving Pinkie a chance, but how about you consider that being step one?" He got up from the table and walked towards the counter to pour another cup of coffee. "And maybe," he said as he turned around pouring another cup, "you won't be feel so stressed all the time, yeah?"

Task let a sigh escape his nostrils. "You're really smart when you're not being flirty, you know," remarked Task barring snideness. "What gives with that anyway?"

"Eh, Braeburn through a hissy fit before he left. He'll come back though." Scorch took a sip of coffee. "They always do."

Task chuckled and rolled his eyes. "Alright, well thanks for the pep talk. I gotta go meet Pinkie so we can hit up Bookmark's Book Fort for music."

"Hey before you leave," Scorch began, prompting Task to stop at the door and turn back to him. "You got some fan mail."

"F-fan mail?!" Task blurted. Had someone discovered his alias?!

"Yyyyyyes... fan mail. Or regular mail, whatever floats your boat. Did you listen to anything I just said?" Scorch rolled his eyes and took another sip of coffee. "Left it on the stand by the door for ya."

Seeing as he was already running late, reading one letter probably wouldn't ruin anything. He opened the envelope which only read "TO: RANDOM TASK" on the front end. It must have been dropped off anonymously since Ditzy Doo didn't deliver mail until the afternoon. He pulled the contents out and set the letter on the table to read it aloud.

To My Esteemed Colleague Random Task,

It is of my understanding that you and I shall soon be making introductions with one another. Permit me to make it known to you that I represent a council of individuals who pride themselves in the removal and erasure of ponies who come into emotional contact with a particular mare whom of which is incapable of comprehending her own needs. You may consider my arrival and presence as my personal "cease and desist", which will also entail the removal of your flank from your posterior via incineration, and quite possibly your living credentials from your existence. I quite look forward to seeing you in the near future for our Battle Royale, upon which you and I shall fight to the death for aforementioned mare! Please take care. Sincerely yours, Magnam Pyre

"Wait a sec!" Task blinked and looked the letter over. "This..."

He focused on the words "cease and desist".

"This is..."

He focused on the words "Battle Royale"

"I think this... is..."

He focused on the words "fight to the death".

"Sloppy!" he hollered. "Who wrote this piece of trash?"

Scorch trotted over. "Nothing interesting then?"

"Hell no! Whoever wrote this was definitely not a unicorn." Task grabbed Mix Tape's article sealed in the envelope and turned to open the door. "And even if it was a unicorn, it looks like it was written by a five year old."

"I swear to Celestia if I ever meet the pony who wasted my time I'm gonna kick their flank!" Task yelled slamming the door behind him. Scorch took a step forward to look at the letter, but not before the door re-opened again, with Task peeking his head inside. "Unless it was a colt or filly. Then I'd probably let it slide." His eyes darted around. "Maybe." He then put a hoof to his eyes, then pointed to Scorch's conspiratorially before delicately closing the door behind him.

Scorch blinked at the strange gesture, shrugged, and stepped over to the table to read the letter. As a pegasus, as well as a pony who didn't always have the best quill writing himself, he glanced at the letter. Sure enough, it was a little hard to read, but he could decipher it if he took his time. Scorch squinted his eyes and began to read.

As he read, his face contorted in response to the message's contents. He pursed his lips.

He furrowed his brow.

He stroked his goatee.

He shook his head in disbelief.

His eyes opened wide and his pupils shrunk.

His jaw dropped, but edges of his mouth curled into amusement.

"Not interesting my flank! Tas, you lying pony you..."

*****
"Tas! Tas! Over here!"

Pinkie was bouncing to get Task's attention just outside Bookmark's Book Fort, even though there we no ponies around. Plus, how could he miss Pinkie? He couldn't help but laugh aloud at her excitement.

It had been a few days since their "talk", and they had met at the Book Fort for music shopping as they had agreed. The Book Fort stood two stories tall, and in a way to convey a triangular-shaped roof there was a large book with a green cover sitting page-side down atop the building. A blue ribbon streamed from the inside cover of the book-roof and down through the space between the windows of each floor. The words "The Book Fort" were inscribed in fancy golden letters. Tas knew that the first floor was where all the business took place, and the second floor was Bookmark's personal apartment. He could tell he didn't want any flying passerby to see the inside of his room because the blinds were closed on the second floor. Bookmark wasn't the cleanest of ponies, but Task was not one to complain himself.

"Hey Pinkie! Sorry I'm late," he said trotting over to her. As he approached he noticed a more stern look on her face.

"So you don't think it's considered rude to keep a lady waiting?" Pinkie said with a posh voice and sticking her nose in the air. Task raised his eyebrow in confusion, unsure of how to respond.

The pink pony then opened an eye to look at his confused face. Her mouth contorted and burst, unable to contain the laughter it held any longer. "You know I'm just teasing, Tazzy!" She hopped towards him and pulled him into a tight hug. After being taken be surprise, he put his hooves around her back to return it.

He heard Pinkie sigh happily in his ear. "I'm glad we're hanging out like this," she whispered. The way she spoke sounded totally unlike her. She nuzzled his cheek and moved her mouth to press against the area just below his ear, but didn't have the courage to initiate a kiss. She jolted back after the gesture and bounced backwards with a blush on her face.

Task felt the warmth on his cheeks as well, and stood still shooting his eyes in all directions, unsure of what to say or do.

"So music!" Pinkie said breaking the silence. "Wanna head in and see what Bookmark's got?"

"Do I ever!"

The interior of the Book Fort had shelves of books stacked as to the height of the top of an average pony's head. There were ponies perusing the shelves through the isles, fillies and colts sifting through children's books and comics, and other ponies sitting on soft cushions and bean bag chairs preoccupied reading various books and relaxing with coffee. The store was oddly quiet despite how crowded it was. Though Task did note that the store seemed to be populated by certain ponies.

Hipsters.

Task took a deep breath and exhaled, and began looking around for where the new music section of the store could be. It was then that he noticed a particular section of the store that had been previously blocked off by shelves of books and boxes. Rather, the bookshelves now seemed to make a "passageway" of sorts to a new area. It was lined with more shelves, but these held CDs, DVDs, music players, headphones for music sampling and more.

Task considered asking Bookmark about renting rates.

The pair spent a good couple of hours checking out assorted music and listening to new music. Task tried his best to heed Scorch's advice, but with all the music he was listening to, he couldn't help but analyze every bit of it he could. But this time he felt like he had a new outlook to his analysis. It could have been the feeling of still having DJ-P0n3's new album as his personal number one, but everything he listened to with Pinkie seemed almost... lacking. Not necessarily in a bad way - it was still great music that the party pony could use at her festival kickoff. But it still paled in comparison to-

"How about that one?" Pinkie asked pointed with a hoof to the "most popular" display.

There it was. DJ-P0n3's Sindulgence. Album cases were dwindling on the top shelf.

Was Mix Tape partially responsible for this?

"Definitely one you'll want to grab, Pinkie," Task said as cool as he could contain himself.

After acquiring a good collection of music, Pinkie happily bounced her way towards the front of the store with Task following close behind.

"You know Tazzy, I think it would be super duper cool if we could get one of the performers to play a live show at my party, don't you?"

"Yeah that would be something," he replied absentmindedly. He was more entranced by the cover art of the Sindulgence album. Thick blue streaks of light ran horizontally from one side of the cover, curved around twice as if to make an elongated "S" shape that stretched to the other side of the cover. The streaks thinned into the curve and shifted into a prism, each line an electric color of the rainbow, and shifted back to the blue streaks as the lines curved back horizontally. Two reflecting blue discs were opposite each corner made by the streaks. He was so deep in thought on why those blue lights looked so familiar that he didn't notice the rambling party pony in front of him.

"...going on about how sad they were for like two seconds and hiya Tazzy!"

Pinkie had been making conversation with Bookmark, even though they were only next in line. "Sure was, Pinkie," he said to her. He turned back to briefly address his previous customer. "Thanks, come again!"

"No doubt I'll be back, thanks Bookmark!" The familiar voice rang in Task's ear.

He instinctively turned to where the voice came from to see a vanilla coated mare with a wild electric blue mane trotting towards the exit.

Task's eyes widened, his jaw slowly opened in absolute astonishment.

"Alright, I can help you guys now."

He hadn't even heard Bookmark speak, but he already began stepping forward. And a bit to the side towards her like a flower to sunlight. His head goose-necked to watch the mare leave.

"Ah, buying some of the music I told you about, huh?"

"Uhhh," was all Task could mutter before running into an entire rotating literature holder of comic books. He tumbled to the ground, the literature holder falling on top of him while the assorted comics fell to the floor around him.

Pinkie's cheeks puffed as if to hold in laughter and put up a hoof as if to say "one moment". She took all the music CDs she had on her, placed them gently on the countertop, and promptly doubled over in laughter.

He noticed the mare was startled by the catastrophe, but it was okay. He just had to make sure that the mare never saw him after that event. Ever. Unfortunately for Task, she turned around and lowered her purple sunglasses to look at his pitiful state.

Those beautiful violet eyes...

Task snapped out of his stupor and grabbed the nearest thing he could - a Megamare comic book - and hid it over his face to hide.

The mare chuckled into her hoof before trotting out the door.

*****
"I honestly don't know what you boys see in this bar," Rarity huffed. "Sure, the drinks taste lovely but otherwise it's a bit tacky, wouldn't you agree?"

They sat at a table in the middle of the bar. The venue was loud, ponies were shouting across the way to each other, and their voices were empowered by inebriation. It was a typical weekend evening.

"Lighten up Rare, it's pretty much where most of us met," Serenade stated. "The place just feels like home, y'know?"

"Yeah Rarity, and you gotta try the hard shider and not jusht your girly drinksh all the time!" shouted a rambunctious Rainbow over the other ponies. "It's called the Shider Factory for a reashon, helloooo?"

Scorch snorted a laugh. "R-Rainbow, you're... you're drunk, and we jush... we jush got here like... what time is it again?"

"Looks to be about nine-thirty," replied Serenade looking up at the clock.

"Ugh, and Tash was shupposed to be here like half an hour ago? Why did he invite ush all out here if he's-"

"SHE'S REAL!" Task yelled slamming his hooves on the table.

Everypony at the table jumped. Rainbow shrieked like a schoolfilly.

Rarity put a hoof to her chest. "Honestly, Random Task, must you scare us half to death with such an entrance?"

Task pulled up a chair and sat, paying no attention to the stallion behind him who moved to sit down only to fall to the floor. "She's real! My dream mare!"

Scorch's mouth opened in adoration. "Aww, look at our little Tas growing up so soon!" he said rubbing his friend's cheek. "I think Pinkie would love to hear that you-"

Task brushed his hoof aside. "No no! Not Pinkie!"

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "Wait, not Pinksh?"

"You know those pleasant dreams I've been having since I listened to that CD? I kept thinking somepony was trying to tell me something, and each time there was this mare. This white mare with a blue mane, and she's like... I dunno, like the source of all the amazing music I started hearing, because whenever she appeared, that's when it sounded the fullest."

Task smiled at everypony at the table. "This mare is real, you guys. I have to find out who she is!"

Cloud Cover had come by to take Task's drink order, but stopped along the way to help up the fallen pony at the adjacent table.

Serenade gave a thoroughly confused look. "Wait a sec... white mare, blue mane, music... Uh, Tas I think I know exactly who-"

"Cloud Cover!"

Task pulled the charcoal pegasus over to their table, causing the bartender to lose grip of the pony, who fell to the floor again. "You know everypony, right?!"

Cloud Cover thought back to his stats page from the first scene, as the black text appeared above him emphasizing "knows everypony" in the box. "Ah, that's an affirmative."

"Great! I need you to tell me who this is!" Task exclaimed grabbing a quill from his hat and a napkin in his hoof. He began drawing on it furiously for a few seconds and showed Cloud Cover the picture.

"Affirmative, that's a positive identification on "Vinyl Scratch", actual confirms callsign "DJ-P0n3" for those in the music industry."

Task's face visibly twitched. He felt like his brain was going to snap. "What?! You're telling me all this time the mare of my dreams is the same one you work with?!" he yelled pointing at Serenade.

Serenade shrugged and took a sip of his drink in his magic. "Hey brotha, not like I control your dreams or anything."

"Yeah you do! Kind of!" Task remarked. "I mean, you letting me burn that CD is the whole reason all this started happening in the first place!"

"Yeee-eesh! Chill your hooves, Tashk. Why sho uptight?" asked Rainbow.

Scorch belted out a laugh. "Dash I-I totally shaid that earlier today! Ha! Hahaha!"

The two of them broke out into hysterics, but that wouldn't deter Task. "Cloud Cover, I need to know more about her."

"Uh, roger that, Cover-Actual recommends pushing to the IP." Cloud Cover lifted his wing and pointed directly to the corner of the bar.

There she was again, in all her beauty. There were two other mares she was talking and laughing with.

Task squeed. "Oh Celestia she's actually here. Argh, what should I say?

Rarity cleared her throat. Task glanced over at her, clearly demanding his attention.

"Task, darling, I know that you and I don't always see eye to eye per se, but... I'm afraid I must ask you to reconsider this endeavor of yours. Surely you can't forget about dear Pinkie Pie either?"

Scorch had calmed down enough to rejoin the conversation. "Yeah, Pinksh ish," he began, but hiccuped. "Pinks ish." He hiccuped again. "Ah, do what you want, jusht don't forget about Pinkie."

Task nervously chuckled. "What? I just wanna go talk to her, what's the harm in-"

"No!" exclaimed Rarity. Task jumped back and watched the world around Rarity darken as she continued her rant. "Task you will listen to me and listen well! As the social butterfly at this table I’m sorry to say that I know more about most ponies around here than you. As such, I know enough about that mare's history that I forbid you from trotting over there and saying even one word to her! It's for your own good!" she finished panting.

Task blinked, then looked to his other friend for reassurance. "Serenade? What do you think? I just wanna go talk to her."

"Hm? Oh, right." Serenade began. "I'd be all for it, agreeing with you and all, but I'm trying to get some tonight," he said nonchalantly.

Rarity visibly twitched. She stared at Serenade. "And just admitting that in public is going to help you achieve such a feat? Hm?! You think you're going to "get some" after that blunt little statement of yours?!"

Serenade finished his drink, then firmly set it back on the table. He narrowed his eyes at her across the table.

"Yes," he stated confidently as if accepting a challenge.

Rarity snorted and continued staring.

Serenade somehow managed to squint his eyes even further and pursed his lips, not backing down.

The other three ponies' eyes glanced towards one another, then back at the awkward tension before them.

Finally, Rarity gave a long sigh. "Fine. But don't expect me to back you up anymore when you're losing an argument," she said getting up from her seat. "I suppose this is goodnight, everypony."

"I bet you can't even remember what we were fighting about anymore, Rare," said Serenade.

"Oddly enough, I haven't the slightest," Rarity mumbled, even though everyone could hear it.

On his way out, Serenade nudged Task on the shoulder. "You're all clear, brotha! Knock her off her hooves!" And with that he took his leave.

He nodded and tipped his hat. "Alright. I'm going in!" he confidently exclaimed to Scorch and Dash.

Random Task slipped away from the table and began trotting over to Vinyl, his nerves now turning from steel to butter as he made his approach.

Red Glayr had made his way back to the table. "Did I miss anything?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Scorch shooting his hooves in the air. "Only the ultimate Batmare gambit! Combined with being a pro wingstallion!"

"Batmare gambit?" Red asked raising a brow. He was sure Scorch would have made more sense if he wasn’t eight ciders deep. He looked around and saw Task walking towards the bar. "Where's Tas off to?"

Scorch took another drink of cider. "Finally making hish move! Woo!" He outstretched his hooves in excitement, only this time collapsing on the table.

The friends that Vinyl had been speaking with before had stepped away for the moment, leaving the DJ of his dreams now having a drink to herself at the bar.

Now was his chance.

Author's Note:

30-second sketch by BT Edge. Seriously talented dude, go check out his stuff!

http://btedge116.deviantart.com/

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment