• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 578 Views, 12 Comments

Random Task vs. Equestria - GutiuSerenade



Random Task meets the mare of his dreams, but if he wants to be with her he must defeat her six evil exes. Is he up for the challenge? Or is he doomed to be another ex-coltfriend among their ranks?

  • ...
1
 12
 578

Chapter 1: In A Dream

The low, dim lighting of the house gave off the vibe of a warm, welcoming glow. This vibe tapped a pony’s psyche perfectly for a cold winter evening. The owner liked this setting after a long day of work - a calm living room with gentle mood lighting, smooth jazz playing from his multi-speakered entertainment system, and the company of friends relaxing on some comfy furniture. It was one of those bachelor pads one would always want to hang out at.

Despite the gentle scene the house was attempting to establish, one could hear the annoying clickity-clacking of a typewriter from the kitchen, where a lone beige pony with a black fedora sat at the table with parchment scattered about in front of him. His hooves were sweeping across a typewriter, his thoughts flowing and pouring from mind to paper like water.

“...but the dynamism in his recent works is perhaps the least appealing factor to this writer. The tempos in his music lately are hit-or-miss, what with shifting from 3/4 time to something like 7/12 in the middle of the bridge. The bass is so arbitrary, almost as though he’s trying to give the melodic line to the root of the chord at what sounds like should be the most methodical parts of the song.”

A stallion’s audible sigh turned into a slight grumble from the living room.

“Yo, Tas!” the voice called, making its way to the kitchen along with a sound of hoofsteps.

Random Task looked up towards the entryway upon hearing his friend call his nickname. “Yeah?”

A light gray stallion with a lengthy crimson mane peaked into the kitchen, his blue eyes scanning the table. “You about done in here?” asked Serenade.

“Almost. Just finishing a music article,” Task responded.

Serenade nodded. “Well, alright then. Just come kick it with us in the living room when you’re done. I invited you guys over to chill and hang, and you’re doing neither,” the stallion said with a chuckle. He then returned to his guests to let his friend finish his work. Task took a deep breath and exhaled, blowing some of his messy brown mane from his eyes. Resolute to finish his article, he continued.

“While one can’t say what caused Gravestone to attempt his own twist of post-modernism as of late, this writer believes that it still holds purpose. He has always had a way with expressionism in his music, even if one can’t pick out just what is on his mind. Who knows? Perhaps after some tweaking, he’ll find his comfort zone with this new spectrum of music. Or perhaps listeners and fans will latch onto it and defend it before long.”

“That should do it,” he said to himself. The time had come to sign off with his well-known pen name.

“As always, I’m Mix Tape. And that’s the way the bass drops.”

Nopony knew Mix Tape’s real identity, but ponies of the music world knew Task’s alias well. He was a music reviewer for Equestrian Music Monthly, the most highly regarded music magazine in all Equestria. To his friends’ knowledge, he was a simple, occasional contributor for other cities across the land. He even sent some articles in to the Ponyville Press, just to maintain his cover. And maybe he’d sometimes bring his writing down a few levels so as not to make himself too noticeable.

Pulling the last page out of the typewriter with a hoof, he placed his article in a folder and made his way to the living room, where he had left his saddlebags. The sound of a smooth, sensual saxaphone filled the air as Serenade’s jazz music filled the living room. Their host telling his two other guests a rousing tale from the radio world.

“...and we had no idea what to do! Nothing was coming through the studio speakers so we thought we were off the air. So we’re scramblin’ around...”

Task had walked in mid-conversation. He didn’t want to interupt his friend or ask him to start the story over, so he took in the room before him. A small piece of his mind broke down and analyzed the three ponies sitting in the room. This fragment of his mind acted involuntarily, and always seemed to classify ponies and objects in a small black box for labelling purposes.

Applejack
Job: Apple Farmer
Hobbies: Apples
Favorite drink: Orange juice
Rating: Apples/10

Serenade
Job: Radio host, DJ, Socialite
Hobbies: Music, Being Busy, Socializing
Status: Lives here
Rating: So much class he’s grading papers/10

Red Glayr
Job: Please
Hobbies: Video Games, Crushing on Applejack, Flying
Status: Crushing on Applejack, also lives here
Color: Burgundy and Greige
Rating: 7/10

This fragment of his mind also seemed to come with its own sense of humor. Nevertheless, analysis was Task’s specialty.

“... and then we realized we were still on air after all! Just the in-studio speakers were off!”

The other ponies chuckled at his story.

“Heh heh,” Applejack chimed in. “Ah can’t say I get all the techno-hooplah that y’all work with everyday, but ah know how that goes!”

Serenade’s pegasus roommate ceased laughing as he noticed Task walk into the room. “Wha-hey, look who decided to join us!” Red Glayr said with the slightest hint of sarcasm.

“You’re finished, I take it?” asked Serenade, hoping his friend would relax and take a load off.

Task nodded, smiling. “Yeah, all done. Thanks again for letting me use your typewriter!” he responded. “I’ll be sure to keep better tabs on my ink count next time.”

Serenade threw his hoof out in a “psh” fashion. “Don’t worry about it. I kinda wish office supplies stores would stay open later just for reasons like that. Not like in Canterlot when you got so many places open late.” I tell ya, Ponyville goes to bed way too early.”

“Ain’t nothin’ wrong with Ponyville,” said Applejack. “Just means an earlier start t’yer work day.”

Serenade blinked. “You’re telling this to a radio personality. You think I don’t know this?” he said with a grin.

“Much as I hate to admit it, he’s got a point, AJ,” remarked Task.

“Tch, yeah,” Glayr chimed in. “Take it from the colt who lives with him... hearin’ him up trotting and rustling around at four in the morning,” he groaned, not being one who particularly enjoyed being up before Celestia’s sun.

“Four in the mornin’?” Applejack asked. “Mighty respectable for a big city pony,” she teased. Serenade only bowed his head in gratitude.

Red Glayr got up from his seat and hovered to Serenade’s kitchen for another bottle of cider. “Anypony want another drink?”

“I’m good for now,” responded Serenade.

“Ah’ll have another cider, if yer offerin’!” called Applejack.

“Not thirsty,” responded Task as he put his folder in one of his saddlebags. He closed the flap, which was adorned with a teal quill and sixteenth note along the feather. It matched his cutie mark to a T.

Applejack took notice. “What were y’all workin’ on anyway, Rand?” asked Applejack. It wasn’t a nickname Task was particularly fond of, but he always took it with a grain of salt.

“Just another music review to send to the presses tomorrow,” he responded.

“Ah, yes, I meant to ask,” Serenade began. “Who were you reviewing this week?”

“DJ Memento Gravestone,” he responded. “I’m looking to expand my horizons in the top 40 area, though.”

Serenade tilted his head in interest. “Are you now?” His horn glowed with an aqua aura as he levitated a CD case from a shelf on his entertainment center over to Task. “Have a listen to this, Tas.”

Task opened his saddlebag flap again as Serenade placed the CD within. He looked back to his friend giving an inquiring look.

“It’s new music by DJ-Pon3. I think you’ll enjoy it. Her music really has a way of getting in your head. I guess you’ll have to hear it to get it,” he said with a smile.

Task’s eyes shot open. “DJ-Pon3?! The DJ-Pon3?!” he asked. “The one you work with? She’s making her own music now?!”

“Oh yes,” Serenade responded with enthusiasm. “We’ve been playing some of her stuff on the radio whenever we get the chance.”

“Well when do you get the chance?!” he asked, not missing a beat.

“Wow, somepony’s excited,” remarked Red Glayr as he hovered back into the room.

No doubt was the colt excited! He didn’t always get the chance to, but Random Task loved listening to DJ-Pon3’s morning show. Her energy, her attitude, her taste in music... it was no wonder it was Ponyville’s most popular radio show!

“It depends on the programming,” Serenade offered. “We have lots of mainstream music and sponsors to air, but if we find an open spot we tend to sneak a tune or three where we can.”

“I’m thinking I want to go home and listen to this right now.”

“Aw, really? But you just stopped working!” Glayr countered. “Besides, it’s not like it’s your home anyway... right?” he continued trying to be smug.

“You’re one to talk,” responded Task, who definitely didn’t have a place of his own. He lived with another pegasus friend other theirs, Summer Scorch. He was probably out drinking. Who could say?

“Yeah, yeah...” Glayr said with a clear lack of comeback. Instead, something else occurred to him. “Hey wait, that reminds me. Serenade, I know for a fact you didn’t work last weekend, so why were you up and about so early Saturday?

Serenade gave him a puzzled look. “Wha? I was in bed, dude.”

“No, I remember you saying you were looking forward to sleeping in Saturday, but when you’re up that early you’re usually getting ready for work. If you weren’t doing that, then what-?”

A knock at the door interrupted him. Everyone turned to look. “Hello?” came a mare’s voice. A white unicorn with a curling purple mane let herself in. “Ah, good evening everypony!”

Rarity
Job: Fashionista
Hobbies: Fabulosity, dressmaking, being condescending
Status: Fabulous
Currently dating: Serenade (on/off)

Serenade smiled as she entered. Grinning, he turned back to look at Glayr. “Like I said...”

“Alright, I get it!” Glayr shouted. “So you’re back together. Again. Didn’t know that.”

“On that note...” Task began, “I think I will get going. I need be up early to help Pinkie.”

“Ah yes, the other part time gig of yours,” Serenade said.

Everypony knew how random and crazy Pinkie Pie could be. If not, they needed a good smack to the head. At any rate, when he wasn’t writing music reviews, Task would make his way around Ponyville doing assorted jobs for Pinkie. Some jobs consisted of refilling emergency eye patch and ball caches, preparing supplies for the always-imminent party, or even doing something that was actually related to her job such as delivering treats from Sugarcube Corner - a new feature the Cakes decided to promote now that they had extra help. It would all boil down to assisting with Pinkie being Pinkie.

“So how is Pinkie?” asked Serenade, spicing his question with extra curiosity.

“She’s, uh... good. Random. It’s uh.. cool.” Task knew what was coming.

Glayr facehoofed. “You still haven’t asked her out yet, have you?”

“Wellll I may have... sort of... kind of, yeah, no.”

“Oh come on!” Rarity interjected stamping a hoof to the ground. “She’s crazy about you!

She paused a momentarily. “Well, perhaps crazy about a lot of things, but why don’t you give her a chance?”

Rarity’s labelling box reappeared in Task’s mind.

Rarity
Job: Fashionista
Hobbies: Fabulosity, dressmaking, being >>>SUPER<<< condescending
Status: Fabulous
Currently dating: Serenade (on/off)

Task didn’t get along with her very well at all.

“She’s nice, I just... I don’t know, I don’t think I’m really very super interested much.”

Rarity rolled her eyes at all those adverbs.

“I sometimes think about it when she cuddles me. I guess that means she might have a thing for me?”

Everypony in the room shuffled in their own way at Task’s obliviousness.

“What? She cuddles everypony! I don’t pick up on these things!”

“Task, darling,” Rarity began “at least consider asking her on a date, will you?”

“Fine, I’ll think on it,” he said putting on his saddlebags on his way out. “I’ll see you all later.”

“Hold up a sec, sugarcube,” Applejack called to him. “That roommate of yours... is he still hanging out with my cousin Braeburn?”

Task blinked. “No.”

Applejack regarded him for a moment and narrowed her eyes. “Alright then.”

Now in the entryway letting more cold winter air in, Task looked back to Serenade before closing his door. “Thanks again for the music. Can’t wait to hear it!”

“Give track seven a listen,” their host said before Task left. “It’s got a nice mellow feel to it. I doubt Scorch would care to listen to some headbanging dance beat before passing out.”

Task nodded. And with that, he was off. Pleasant warmth filled the room again almost instantly after the door closed.

====

The light snow was beginning to stick and pile up on the ground, but barely inch high. There had yet to be a big snowstorm scheduled this year.

The trek back home (well, to Scorch’s home) didn’t take very long, but it was still chilly enough to make Task want his jacket and scarf. His regular white vest just wasn’t going to cut it, not in this cold. He would have to remember them tomorrow.

He walked down the road past the Ponyville Bowling alley. The apartment wasn’t quite at the end of town, but it was close to the end of where all the hussle and bussle tended to take place. Task crossed the intersection to the complex. It was a dark green building with a simple rectangular shape positioned perpendicular along the intersection. The building stood two stories high, but Task was heading straight ahead to a red door labeled A-7. Pushing it open, he was greeted by three disgruntled voices.

“Ahh! Close the door, close the door, it’s freezing!”

“COLD! COLD!”

“Oh, hey, look who’s home!”

Okay, well at least one of them sounded somewhat pleased.

Task closed the door and took in the room. Three ponies were playing video games on Scorch’s medium-sized TV.

“Thank Celestia. Hey, stop comboing me, I can’t move!” yelled Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash
Job: Weatherpony
Hobbies: Flying, training for the Wonderbolts, being awesome
Status: Tipsy
Rating: Awesome!

A grey unicorn stallion with black spots shifted a bit on the couch, as if adjusting would help him at all in the video game. “It’s part of the game, Dash, you should know that by now!” said Bookmark, now watching the screen above his drooped black glasses.


Bookmark
Job: Bookstore owner, professional bachelor
Hobbies: Reading, video games
Status: Winning!
Rating: 8/10

“Still you can’t-OH! Yeah, what now?!” she yelled back, clearly gaining an upper hand in the game.

Task walked into the room and deposited his saddlebags on the table. The apartment was practically one room. The living room and bedroom essentially mashed together only because Scorch’s air mattress sat in the corner. The TV sat diagonally on its respective stand facing between the sofa and mattress, so one could watch it from either position. Task, however, always thought the TV had more of a bias towards the sofa. It made things a tad awkward trying to watch TV while in bed. First Equestrian world problems, right?

A tall, white pegasus stallion stepped out of the kitchenette across the room. His red and yellow-streaked mane draped around his neck. “Am I going to have to separate you two?” asked Summer Scorch.

Summer Scorch
Job: Cherry Rancher, cool gay roommate
Hobbies: Flying fast, being gay, video games, parties
Dislikes: Heights
Rating 11/10

“No way dude, you’d just put me in a corner so you could take advantage of me,” said Bookmark. He was straightforward, but in the sense that they were joking. The two stallions had, after all, been friends since foalhood.

Scorch sighed. “You know you’re nowhere near my type. Hay, Dash is more my type than you.”

“Pass,” said Rainbow. She was trying desperately to outmaneuver Bookmark in their game. She hated losing, after all. “I’m more into stallions, DUH!”

“You guys are still playing Ultra Crush Ponies?” asked Task. “You started playing before I left for Serenade’s.”

Bookmark looked up at the clock. “Aw, damn! Think it’s still early enough we could head over?”

“Doubt it,” Task responded. “Rarity was just arriving as I was leaving, which probably means they’ll be calling it a night soon,” he said rolling his eyes in a disgruntled knowing fashion.

Dash had taken advantage of Bookmark’s distraction. “YAHHHH!!!” she yelled, as an explosion rang from the TV. “I WON! YES!!”

“Aw dammit! I can never dodge that wind attack!” Bookmark complained.

“HA! You say that like you’re able to fight it! You can’t beat wind, just accept that it’s going to buck you up. I would know!” she finished pridefully, putting a hoof to her chest.

Scorch hovered onto the sofa, cider mug in hoof. “Don’t worry, Task. If they wanted to stick around here and break poor ol’ Serenade’s heart by not attending his little soirees, that’s their problem, not mine.

“If you’ve got such a colt-crush on him, you could’ve gone yourself,” said Task in a snide tone.

“Hey, he’s a busy guy,” responded Scorch. “That and Rarity doesn’t like it when I hit on him. Even though I’m just joking... maybe.”

“Whatever,” said Task. He took the CD and its casing out of his saddlebags and trotted over to the “bedroom” and put it on the nightstand.

“Hey, what’s that?” asked Bookmark.

“Oh, this?” Task replied, gesturing to the CD with his head. “New music Serenade wants me to listen to.

“Cool!” said Rainbow Dash. “Can we listen to it?”

“Ehhh, not tonight. He kind of wants my second opinion of it before it goes on air. Keep it a surprise, you know?” Task half-lied. It was already going on air at certain intervals of the day, sure, but perhaps Mix Tape’s review would give it the edge it needed to hit the airwaves full-force. To that end, he could focus better on the music when he was listening to it alone. If it was too upbeat, ponies may start dancing which would have been too distracting. For slower, more mellow music like what was recommended for him, well... the less ponies around, the better.

“Lame! Maybe next time then,” she replied.

Bookmark stretched his forelegs. “Well, it is getting kinda late. I gotta open the Book Fort in the morning,” he said, yawning. “Same time next week?”

“No can do, Bookmark!” said Scorch. “Pinkie Pie’s having a party next week, remember?”

“Oh yeah!” said Rainbow Dash. “Yeah, Bookmark, how can you forget about a Pinkie Pie party?!” she teased.

“Aw c’mon, I just forgot! Do you two always need to side against me?”

Dash and Scorch had become pretty close friends. They hung out a lot, they raced, they pulled pranks together, everything. Dash thought he was a pretty cool colt, even if he was afraid of heights. It was nice to have a stallion friend that never hit on you.

They looked at each other. Both of them responded with a bored, matter-of-fact “yes”.

“Whatever,” Bookmark said, coming to terms with his defeat. “Anyway, are you going Tas?”

“Well, I do work for Pinkie Pie soooo... I dunno, I’ll think about it,” he said leaving no trace of sarcasm in his voice. His grin gave it away.

Bookmark facehoofed. “You’re all out to get me, I swear to Celestia,” he said on his way out. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

“Taaassssss, that reminds meeeee,” Scorch started in a somewhat singsong fashion.

Task knew what was coming, so he deadpanned and lip synched along with Scorch’s question “When do you plan on asking her out? I bet she’s getting impatient now.” His mouth fumbled around during the second sentence. That part was new.

“You know how I feel about that, Scorch. She’s a fun pony, she’s a great friend, she’s fun to cuddle and get the occasional random kiss from, but that’s it.”

Scorch blinked. He moved his head a bit forward in an ironic fashion. It was as if he was trying to sarcastically say “Aaaaaand?”

“What? We’re just friends.”

“News flash, Rando. Half of those things are what couples do."

“Rando? Really?”

“You don’t know because you’re never given it a chance,” said Scorch, ignoring his previous comment. “Give her some thought, Tas. Or better yet, give her a chance,” he said nudging his shoulder with a hoof.

Task sighed. “If I do this... will you all shut up about it?” he asked exhaustively.

“Yes!!” shouted Rainbow. “Finally!”

“He’s gotta actually do it first, Rainbow.” Scorch said to her.

“Yeah, yeah. Hey, do you still wanna hit the Factory?” asked Rainbow. She was, of course, referring to The Cider Factory, their group’s usual hang out spot. It was a bar several blocks down the road from the apartment. “I think Cloud Cover’s working tonight.”

“I’m sure he could use the company. Coming Tas?” asked Scorch.

“Not tonight. Gotta be up kinda early to help Pinkie in the morning.”

“C’mooonnnn,” Scorch teased, grabbing his neck in a hoof and giving his fedora a noogie.

“You know I don’t drink.”

“But you love the Factory!”

“Yeah, and the apple juice and the company. Not the booze.”

“Urgh, so lame,” said Dash flying towards the door.

“Whatever you want, Tas. Just make sure I don’t come home to you hogging all the blankets again.”

“What’re you going to do, put your tongue in my ear?”

“Well I might now. Later, bro.” he winked.

Task shuddered, and not just from the cold air blowing in as they left.

The colt sighed. He made way for the mattress to lie down on his pillow. It was one of the few things in the apartment he actually owned. He thought about all the conversations he had exhausted himself through tonight. Why did all of his friends want him to ask out Pinkie so bad? He never had a good, real relationship before. Pinkie could very well be a first marefriend, but he just couldn’t fathom really being with her. He couldn’t see himself being together with her when he was pretty sure it would only end in a break-up. To Random Task, dating only seemed like “testing” other ponies to see who you’re best suited with. What was the point when this “testing” was nothing more than a means to an end?

The pony shook his head to clear his thoughts. Partially. They would still haunt his mind, but he only brought it upon himself.

Analysis. That’s what he was known for. For Mix Tape, it may have only been for music; Random Task couldn’t help the fact he did it for just about everything in life. At times like these, there was only one thing that he could ever use to escape his hyper-active mindset.

Task turned on his side and reached for his new CD on the nightstand. Sitting up, he put the CD in the rectangular CD player, which doubled as an alarm clock. The media player read the disc and identified twelve tracks.

“Give track seven a listen. It’s got a nice mellow feel to it.”

Task figured he should just play the one mellow track, so he set the player to it’s single-play option. As tired as he was, he wouldn’t want to risk moving on to track eight only to be snapped awake by a booming dubtrot.

He scrolled the knob down to track seven, which indicated a play time of 8:41. “Good, a lengthy one,” he thought. He hit play, and rolled over on his back, pulling his fedora forward slightly over his face. At first, he couldn’t make out much sound, but soon he could hear the sound of bass. It gradually crescendoed its way into his hearing range, but it didn’t thunder like he expected most mainstream-styled music to play. The bass did more than thud to a tempo, though... it was if it had its own voice. A pre-established countermelody perhaps?

But no. Another part was starting up. It’s melody was soothing. The bass maintained it’s smooth, translucent thudding - delicately flicking the eardrums. It was just right. Task’s vision began to fade. The tiniest black tendrils made their way into his darkening vision. There was no way he could keep analyzing at this rate. He was barely a full minute into the song, but he could feel himself fading, almost hypnotized by the sound. Finally, the colt submitted to the music’s embrace, and he was gone.

====

The music never faded.

Somehow it was more resonant... and seemed far off, as if being heard from the other side of a solid wall.

Random Task opened his eyes slightly to a hazy, purple blur, but closed them again. The bass he heard falling asleep resonated, and he could make out new sounds to the music as he opened his eyes again, wider this time. He was greeted by a large, endless abyss filled with a rosy-purple mist. He could feel himself moving in what felt like slow motion. His brown mane and tail flowed in the space, almost like it would if they were underwater. Trying to take a step forward, he moved forward as if drifting through space within his own will. He blinked a few times, having been surprised at this phenomenon. After his last blink, silhouettes of dancing ponies appeared amidst this hazy space. All of them moved in slow motion, while illusionary after-images followed their forms as they moved. He saw earth and unicorn ponies kicking and grooving and skipping to the music; pegasi were dancing with their wings spread, others were in the air shaking their hooves around. Some silhouettes blobbed together, but upon further observation, Task saw they were ponies dancing and grinding with each other.

Lights of all colors started flashing from above. They seemed to shine and flash at normal speed. Task looked all around, seeing he was surrounded by dancing pony silhouettes, the lights beginning to flash in tandem with the music tempo. Eventually, the song began becoming more and more clear to his hearing. Flashing lights started shining in a distinct direction. It was almost as though they were trying to point out where the music was originating from. Following the lights, the colt turned to look behind him. The more he turned towards them, the clearer the music became.

Several lights began shining vertically above a cluster of pony silhouettes. They blinked in and out, leaving way for adjacent lights to shine down. Something was different though. The music became completely clear. He could make out one pony silhouette with an electric blue mane lashing about the crowd. Several other shadows began converging around the pony, lifting their hooves in the air as if to strike.

The music shifted to a minor key and became aggressive.

There was something about this pony with the blue mane. If something happened to her, the music would be snuffed out. It would end. Task couldn’t let this happen. As his mind stood in direct opposition to the aggressive shadows, he could feel himself closing the distance in space between him and the other ponies. As if the shadow ponies had heard him yell to them, they all turned to face him. While moving through the space and mist, his hoof moved in the air as if to start a gallop.

The music resolved.

All the lights went out around them for a split second. They suddenly appeared altogether striking from every diagonal direction around the cluster of silhouettes. As lights starting hitting these shadow ponies, they dispersed, completely disintegrating in the light... all but one pony.

The lights brightened. The music escalated in intensity. Almost to the feel of Task’s beating heart.

But... why was it beating faster?

The silhouette was facing away. It had its head and neck facing what could best be described as a floor; the pony looked like it was cringing, as if it were anticipating pain. The lights shone brighter on the shadow pony as a misty black cloud began to sizzle off its body, floating up into the abyss. The lights weren’t disintegrating this pony; they were... purifying it? More black clouds left the pony’s body as the dark silhouette form gradually became lighter and lighter until it’s coat was a refined off-white. The darkness was gone from it’s body completely.

There stood a unicorn mare, eyes snapped shut. Slowly she opened them, almost as though she were in a daze, wondering where the expected imminent pain had gone. Her eyes shot open completely as she looked around in a panic. Then she saw Task, her mouth slightly ajar.

Task drifted towards the mare. She had a look of pure astonishment on her face, as though he couldn’t be real. Her mouth curved into a smile. She didn’t appear afraid any longer. Her eyes partially closed halfway as he drew nearer, giving him a look of desire. Slowly, she moved her hoof to touch his face.

And it was ecstasy.

He felt warm. Task could no longer focus on the sound of the music - now he could feel it. At the touch of the mare’s hoof, the misty world seemed to wash all around them like a whirlpool, his mind drinking in the deluge of vehemence. She saw a spark in the mare’s soft, violet eyes that sent electricity jolting through his body. Never before had Task felt something like this.

“It’s not complete...” whispered a female voice.

The mist became thicker to the point that it clouded his vision of her. A sudden burst of air blasted him away, clearing the mist around him, revealing only darkness.

The world quaked and crumbled. A scream echoed from far away. The sound came closer and closer until it was deafening all around him.

====

“AHHH!!!”

Task shot up in bed.

“Wha... what just...?”

Scorch sat up in bed next to him and yawned. “You okay bro?”

Task looked down, still somewhat surprised. “Y-yeah. Just had a... really weird dream.”

“Well try to keep the mumbling down next time, alright buddy?” Scorch turned back over and took most of the blankets with him. “Don’t know anything about needing to resolve the whatever and the zzzzzzz,” he said falling back asleep.

“Resolve...” Task repeated. “And who was that mare?..”
Task shrugged and laid back down on his pillow with a yawn.

“Guess it can’t be that important,” he managed to mumble before falling back asleep.

He couldn’t have been more wrong.