• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 3,889 Views, 245 Comments

Lewis, Something Magical Has Occured - Haybales22



After a freak accident, Simon Lane and Lewis Brindley are transported to Equestria

  • ...
8
 245
 3,889

Return of the Jaffa

Lewis woke first, sitting up on the single bed in the dark room. He looked over to Simon's sleeping form, the small orange pegasus curled up into a ball, using his wings as blankets. Lewis got up and wrote a note for Simon, then quietly left the motel room, shutting the door carefully behind him so as not to disturb the smaller pegasus. He trotted down the street, looking for signs advertising a need for new employees. The only businesses which advertised such a need were the bakery, library, boutique, a random sandwich board advertising something called "Sweet Apple Acres", and a nondescript building called "The Weather Patrol Headquarters". Lewis entered this building, but was immediately pushed out by a cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane, who stated simply, "Pegasi only." before slamming the door in his face. Lewis continued walking, a slight damper put on his journey. Seeing as he could not cook, make clothing (which was largely unused by most ponies. The ponies wore no clothing, other than the occasional pair of glasses, hats, or un attached collar and necktie.), make weather or do farm work, he decided he should check out the library. How hard could it be being a librarian?

Simon woke long after Lewis had left, and gazed around the room, wondering where his friend had gotten off to. Simon saw the bag of bits on the table, and fluttered over to it. She picked up the bit bag, which was a lot lighter than before. Beneath the burlap bag was a small paper, on which a note was written:

Dear Simon,
Gone into town, be back soon. Going to look for a job, possibly a house.

~Lewis

Simon looked up and thought about this. If Lewis was looking for a job, he should look for one as well. He left the hotel room, tucking the bit bag into his pocket on his way out. He looked down the main street and saw various signs asking for employees. A bakery, a boutique, a sign for some sort of farm, a library whose proprietor, a purple unicorn, was currently taking down the "hiring" sign, and a building called "weather patrol headqaurters", which had a cyan, rainbow-maned pegasus mare putting a sign out front saying "Pegasi Only". Simon looked behind him, at his wings, as if to confirm his pegasi-ness, then trotted into the building. He was welcomed by other pegasi, mares and stallions alike, who were all putting on goggles and pinnies which were labled "Property of Ponyville Weather Patrol". The rainbow-maned mare came back inside and threw a pinny over Simon's neck, then slapped some goggles onto his head.

"Welcome to the Weather Patrol, I'm Rainbowdash."

"So what makes you think you have what it takes to be a librarian, or my personal assistant? Do you have any formal training in alchemy, sorting books, or the magic of friendship?" The purple unicorn was giving Lewis the full drill. "And what was your name again? Didn't sound like a normal name to me."

"Uh, my name is Lewis. I'm not from here, but I do have a master's in chemistry, and chemistry and alchemy are very close, if you think about it. It can't be that hard to sort books, and I've had friends, so yes." At the mention of his master's degree, Twilight Sparkle, the librarian pony who was also apparently the saviour of the world five times over, perked up and grinned while clapping her hooves together. She began bouncing in a manner that was similar to Simon's jolly bounce, and did so in a circle around Lewis, all the while giggling. "So... am I hired then? Because if I'm not, then I should probably get going..."

"NO! You're hired!" Twilight shouted suddenly. "Fifteen bits an hour, eight hours a day, six days a week. Fifteen times eight, times six.... carry the one... add the three...." Twilight was trying to figure out the math in her head, how much she would owe him at the end of each week.

"Seven hundred and twenty bits." Lewis said, calmly clearly and confidently.

Twilight looked up at him with a huge grin, "And smart too! You are going to be a great asset to our library!"

Footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs above, not hoofsteps, footsteps. "Twilight, I'm bored!" Called a male voice. A small purple and green reptile came down the stairs, yawned, then walked up to Lewis. "You must be the new assistant, I'm Spike." And with that, the creature extended a claw towards him.

Lewis stared at him with shock, then fear came to him. "Is that a... DRAGON?!?!?" Lewis screamed, then backed away from the tiny, yet apparently dangerous creature.

Twilight looked at him strangely, then Spike met her gaze and they stared at eachother for a fleeting moment. The two abruptly fell over with laughter. "Spike is a baby dragon, he won't hurt you!" Twilight managed to gasp, after the tiny beast and her finished laughing. Spike offered his claw once again, and this time, Lewis touched his hoof to it and shook for a moment. He was still cautious about this new creature, but after seeing that he was only a baby, he was less so. Oh well, at least he had a job, and hopefully he wouldn't have to deal with the dragon, who had only saved the world once. Lewis left the library in search of Simon. He was feeling quite peckish, so he decided to check at the bakery, maybe get a scone or something.

Lewis entered the bakery to see Simon clad in a chef's hat and apron shaking hooves with a pink pony with a puffed up mane and tail. "I see you've gotten a job, Simon." Lewis said, getting Simon's attention.

"Lewis!" Simon yelped with joy, and launched himself at the red unicorn. "I'm a baker! Look! I made a jaffa!" and the pegasus shoved a yellow and brown gob of something into Lewis's mouth. The familiar flavor alerted Lewis that he had succedded in creating the delectable cake, but on a larger scale. The pink pony was also eating a slice of the jaffa, and grinning. "Do you like it Lewis? Do you? Do you?" Simon asked hopefully.