• Published 28th Jan 2012
  • 1,900 Views, 10 Comments

What Was Once Lost - The Anonymous Colt



A pony returns for a chance at redemption, but all is not what it appears. All Hell has broken loose

  • ...
 10
 1,900

Chapter One: New Guy In Town

Chapter One: New Guy in Town
As soon as Dust Trail saw the light blue unicorn, he knew she was in pretty bad shape. She had scratches across her entire body, her mane and tail was dirty and had a few stray twigs in them, and she was starting to cry.
Oh boy, I hate it when I see a mare cry
He swooped down at a break-neck speed, and landed on top of a timber wolf’s head so hard that it caused the ground to shake for a few seconds, practically breaking its neck. He caught a glimpse of the mare’s face, and grinned for a second, enjoying her shocked expression. He turned his attention back to the wolves, who were still standing there, surprised at the practical bomb that just assaulted their comrade. He regarded them with a cold stare, practically penetrating their primitive souls. They started to back away slowly, whimpering. “If any of you want to live to see another day, you will leave this mare alone.”

Dust Trail spoke with authority, meaning every word he just said. The creatures were starting to turn back, ready to retreat, when suddenly, a voice from behind the pegasus shouted-“Hey!” Dust Trail turned around, and saw that the whimpering mess that he saw just seconds ago stood tall with her chin up, bearing the grace of royalty, or a death wish. Whichever one came first. “Just what do you think you’re doing?”

“Umm, saving your life . . ?”

“I do not need saving! The Great and Powerful Trixie has this completely under control!”

“Really? Then where is this ‘Great and Powerful Trixie’? We could really use her help.” The pegasus started to look left to right, searching for any other pony around them. Complete disbelief showed on her face, and soon the unicorn was starting to grow red on her face.

“It’s me, you blubbering idiot! I am the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Dust Trail looked back at her. He hopped off the injured timber wolf, and walked towards her. “You? You’re the Great and Powerful Trixie? You don’t look so ‘Great’ and ‘Powerful’ to me. I mean, have you seen yourself lately?”

The blue unicorn realized how she must have looked like to him and started to groom herself, embarrassed. “Never the less, I am still capable of handling this myself, so if you could please be so kind as to leave. I would be so grateful if you did." Trixie said with some difficulty, as she was trying to pull some of the twigs out of her mane.

Looks like I found my mare, Dust Trail thought to himself. The pegasus was about to say something, but then thought better of it. He began to have an idea. He started to smile. “All right, you’re right, I’ll leave.”

“Okay, thank- wait, what did you just say?!” Fear began to bubble into her voice.

“I said I’ll leave. I mean, you’ve obviously have everything under control here.”Trixie started to look back at the timber wolves, who were silently inching towards them during their conversation. They looked hungry.

“So anyways, I guess I’ll see you later. Good luck with your little wolf problem!” The colt spread his wings, getting ready for flight, when the unicorn called out-

“Wait!”
Dust Trail turned back to the mare. “Yes?” he asked innocently.

Her wall of arrogance was starting to crumble, and he could see it. “ Listen, um, maybe the Great and Powerful Trixie . . . needs your help.” She said with obvious distaste.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch that.” The colt placed a hoof next to his ear.

“I said I need . . . your . . . help. . .”

“I’m sorry, one last time?”

Trixie looked back towards the wolves. They were right on top of them! “I SAID I NEED YOUR HELP!”

“Okay, I’ll help.” The pegasus ran straight towards the hungry maws of the predators, to the mare’s surprise, and started a struggle that kicked up dust everywhere. The only thing you could see from the fight was the occasional hoof , wing, paw, teeth, and even Dust Trail’s head. After a few minutes, Dust Trail jumped out of the fray, a few scratches across his body, but otherwise was fine. Behind him, the fight was still going, the wolves completely unaware of the fact that their meal just left. “This is when the fun starts happening. All right, so this is what we’re going to do . . .” The pegasus whispered something into the blue unicorn, a small grin growing on her face. “So do you think you know what to do?”

“Definitely.”

“Good. Let’s do this!” The grey colt began to fly around the wolves in a series of small circles, until a dust devil began to form around the predators. Dust Trail kept on flying around the creatures until he formed a small tornado around them. The wolves were being blown around inside the cycle, completely out of control. The colt stopped flying in circles, his job done, and sored over to Trixie.

“Care to do the honor?” He said while bowing his head and bringing a hoof out in front of him, towards the general direction of the cyclone.

“With pleasure.” Trixie began to concentrate, filling her horn with energy, and then focused her magic on the tornado. She willed it to start flying away, to be completely weightless. Then, before the ponies’ eyes, it began to float, and before long, the tornado was nothing but a small black dot in the horizon. The mare and the colt let out exhausted sighs. They looked at each other, then started to laugh. "Hey, I never told you my name. I’m Dust Trail.”

“And I am the Great and Power-“

“Yeah yeah, Great and Powerful Trixie, I know.”

The mare cleared her throat, annoyed by the fact that she was interrupted. “Yes, well, thank you for, uh, helping me out. I, um . . . needed it.”

“No problem. I’ll always help out a damsel in distress.”Trixie punched Dust Trail in the leg as soon as he made that statement, her face flustered. “Ow, that really hurt!” Dust Trail said while rubbing his sore leg. “You know for a little mare, you punch really hard.”

Trixie punched him again, much harder than before.“Don’t you ever call me a ‘little mare’. I am still the Great and Powerful. I just needed a little assistance, is all.”

“Right. So, let me take you to a hospital. Those scratches could get infected.”

“What are you talking about? I am fine!” As Trixie tried to walk, her knee buckled in, and she yelped from pain.

“Yeah, right. You’re fine.” The colt said with engrossing sarcasm. Dust Trail sat down on his haunches and spread his wings. “Just lie on my back and I can fly you to a hospital.”

“I told you, the Great and Powerful Trixie does not need your help!” She said as she was struggling to get back on her feet. She looked as though she was in real pain, and each time she would try to walk, she would end up falling on her face, crying out.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the colt made up his mind. Before the mare was aware of what was happening, Dust Trail picked Trixie up with his wing and placed her on his back. “Hey! Wh-what do you think you’re doing?!”

“I’m taking you to the hospital, whether you like it or not.” Dust Trail spread his wings and got ready to fly.

“Wait! I’m afraid of heeiiights!” Before she could finish, Dust Trail dove head first down the side of the cliff, plummeting straight down to the ground, making her heart leap into her throat. Trixie was holding on tight to Dust Trail’s neck, never letting go. “What are you doing?! Are you trying to kill us?!”

Dust Trail only started to laugh insanely, enjoying Trixie’s reaction. Trixie started to scream, thinking she was going to die by the hands of a lunatic, but just before both ponies hit the cold, hard dirt, Dust Trail shot out his wings at the last second, sending them sky ward at terminal velocity, which only made Trixie scream louder. But to the pegasus, he felt absolutely alive. Back in his imprisonment, his wings were clipped long ago, and so flying was an old friend he had not seen for a long time. He reveled the feeling of the wind brushing past his mane, the smell of the cool, brisk air. He looked behind him, and saw that the unicorn was looking down at the ground, her pupils dilated.

“So I’m going to guess that you’re not a big fan of flying.” The unicorn shook her head vigorously. “Well don’t worry, I’ll fly pretty gently, so don’t you worry your little head. I’ll keep you safe.”

She looked up and stared into his bright yellow eyes, his reassuring words. He actually seemed sympathetic for her, something almost nopony has ever shown her. “O-okay . . .” She was still scared of falling off Dust Trail’s back, but was more reassured now.

“Good, so do you think you know the closest town around here so we can get those wounds treated?” The unicorn filled her horn with energy, and kept her eyes closed for a few seconds. When she opened them again, they were glowing, her pupils grown twice their usual size. She started to scan the horizons, and then pointed towards a distant flat valley.

“Over there, a few kilometers away.” Dust Trail was surprised at the mare’s certainty in her voice. He turned his head towards the distant valley, but couldn’t see anything.
“How are you so sure a town is over there?”
Trixie started to point at her eyes. “I just used a spell that allows me to have the ability to see things ten times greater than even a dragon. It allows me to see things that most ponies couldn’t even see the naked eye.” She closed her eyes, and her eyes were back to normal. “But, unfortunately, it is a very complicated spell, and takes a lot out of even me.”

Dust Trail nodded his head. “That’s pretty impressive. Explains why I couldn’t see it.” Trixie gave him a curious glance, but decided to ask what he meant later. She was too tired to ask any questions. The pegasus began to fly towards the distant village. At the same time, a cyclone far away started to unravel, and when the winds stopped blowing, a pack of timber wolves comically began to fall down towards the woods below.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The sun began to set by the time the colt and the mare reached the village, and by then, almost everypony began to settle into their homes for the night. But a few ponies staying out late saw the pair and began to whisper to each other. Dust Trail had no idea why everyone was looking at them so strangely, but Trixie seemed to be completely oblivious to their staring. He would’ve assumed that they were looking at them because they looked so beaten up, but he wasn’t so sure.
Everypony who saw them would constantly gawk or whisper something, until Dust Trail just couldn’t take it anymore. “Hey, don’t you notice these ponies staring at us?”

“Of course I do, but it’s better if you don’t pay any attention to them.” Trixie seemed to be hiding something, and the colt could tell instantly that she was holding something back.

“Do you have a history with this town or something, because they seem as though they don’t want you around these parts.”It was true, they were all starting to either give them the sink-eye or the cold shoulder.

“It’s . . . a long story, and I’d rather not talk about it.” They walked in silence after that.

Eventually, they were able to reach the hospital. On its roof were bold letters that said Ponyville Sanctuary. When they went inside, a nurse at the reception desk was reading a magazine, and it must have been a very interesting one, because she didn’t notice the pair until Dust Trail was right in front of her. The nurse found a sudden interest at the colt, who she thought was really attractive. “Oh, hello!” Her smile was very reassuring, radiating with a sense of sympathy. “You look as though you could use a doctor. Here, follow me and I’ll take you to-“

“Thank you, but I’m not the one that needs medical attention. She needs it.” The colt pointed at Trixie, the nurse just now taking notice of her, and narrowed her eyes, her smile completely vaporized.

“? You want us to help her?” Her voice was harsh, losing any sincerity it had just moments before.

Dust Trail didn’t like the way the nurse was acting towards the unicorn. He could sense the nurse’s hostile attitude towards the mare, who was starting to look down at the floor now, ashamed. What did she do that was so bad? “Yes, I mean her. Is there going to be a problem, Miss . . ?”

“Redheart, and yes there is going to be a problem. I’m sorry to say, sir, but she just can’t stay here.”

“Why not?” He couldn’t believe this was happening. This was a hospital for Celestia’s sake! They were supposed to take in whoever was injured, no matter how vile that pony was. And yet here he was, being told that someone who needs a doctor can’t stay here, because of something she did, whatever it was.

“Because, sir, she nearly destroyed this town by bringing a rampaging Ursa Major here!” Oh, so that’s what she did. The colt guessed the shock on his face was evident, because the nurse had a smug grin on her face.”So, if you could be as so kind as to leave? You’re disturbing the patients.”

He looked at the nurse, then at Trixie, who was staring at him, guilt written entirely across her face. Dust Trail began to think about what he should do. He studied Trixie, and all of her injuries from the timber wolf attack. He sighed, then turned back at the nurse. “Look Nurse Redheart, I don’t care about the other patients right now, or what she did to the town. I just need to get a doctor to check her wounds.”

“Listen sir, I would take her in if I could.” Dust Trail could tell she didn’t mean a single word. He was good at telling when someone was lying. “But if someone found out she was staying in this hospital, a mob would most likely form outside, and that’s something a hospital is not prepared to withstand.”

"Than let me handle it. If anypony has a problem with her, I’ll take care of them personally.” He began to look at Nurse Redheart accusingly.

Nurse Redheart was about to say no for the second time, until a voice behind her said, “Let them in, nurse. This hospital is supposed to take in all patients, despite their mistakes.” All three followed the source of the voice, and saw a tall, burly Earth pony with a blue mane and tail, and a light brown coat.

“Doctor Gauze! What are you doing out here, I thought you were working on a patient.” The nurse seemed nervous, as if she were a criminal that’s just been caught.

“I just finished stitching his wound, and decided to get some fresh air until I heard a commotion out here. What are you doing, nurse? This is a hospital. We are supposed to take in all forms of patients.” His voice was firm and demanding, like a teacher that did not tolerate any nonsense.

“B-But Doctor, this colt wants us to take care of that mare!” She pointed an accusing hoof at Trixie.

“I know, but she still needs help, and so as CEO, I demand that you show her a room, unless you were thinking of finding a new job?”

Nurse Redheart’s face grew pale. “No sir! I mean, uh, I’ll show this mare to her room.” Trixie began to follow the nurse down the corridor. She looked back at Dust Trail, and mouthed the words ‘thank you’, then continued down the hallway.

Dust Trail turned back to the colt. “Thanks for the help. We probably wouldn’t have gotten her wounds checked if it weren’t for you.”

“No problem, we all need to help out each other once in a while. You know, we could get you a room too. Those scratches look like they could get infected.”

“Thank you, but no, I’ll be fine. I’ve had worst experiences then a few paper cuts.”

“If you say so, but if you’re not going to get treated, then you can’t stay here overnight. This isn’t a hotel.”

“I know, I only wanted to make sure that mare would be fine here. But before I go, would you mind if I said goodbye to my friend?”

“I understand completely, just don’t spend too much time with your marefriend, okay?” The doctor started to walk away coyly.

It took a few seconds for Dust Trail to comprehend what he just said, then shouted, “Wait! She’s not my marefriend! It’s not what think!” But it was too late, the doctor was already gone. His face flushed, the pegasus began to walk down the hall.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

It took a few moments for Dust Trail to find Trixie’s room, but once he found it, he went inside and saw she was already patched up, her wounds bandaged or covered by gauze. Her front right hoof was raised by a sling around Trixie’s neck, apparently sprained. She was staring out the window, lost in her own thoughts. The colt came up to her side. “So”, she started to say, “you didn’t want them to treat you?”

“Nah, these cuts aren’t that bad, I can live.” Trixie was still transfixed by the horizon out the window. After a few more moments of awkward silence, Dust Trail said, “Well, I can tell you want to be alone, so I’ll just go now.”

He started to walk out the door, until the mare behind him said, “Why did you do it?”

He turned back around. “What do you mean?”
Trixie looked back at him. “Why did you save me?” There was more silence between the two.

Oh boy, I guess this question was bound to rise to the surface. “Well, I just couldn’t stay there and see you die. I mean, who would have done that?”

“I would have. It was five timber wolves against a single pony. I would’ve just run the moment I saw a single timber wolf. But you just dived in to save me as if you weren’t afraid of facing death. Plus, we’re complete stranger, we don’t know anything about each other. So why did you do it?”

Dust Trail just stood there in silence. Admittedly, he had no idea she was the mare he was supposed to save from the inferno until they started to converse. He didn’t even think about what he was doing, it just all felt natural to him, as if he was being guided by a heavenly being, which was probably true. After a few seconds of silence, he finally said, “Well, um, I guess I just like to play the hero sometimes. What matters is is that you’re safe, and now nothing can hurt you.”

“Except my pride . . .” mumbled the unicorn.

“Well, um, see you in the morning Trixie. Good night.” Dust Trail closed the door, and wnet outside into the cool night. The air was crisp, as if the ocean was right next to the village. The pegasus was aching all over his body, tired from the events of today. He flew to a nearby cloud and made a makeshift bed out of it. He nestled into it, and began to drift into a dreamless sleep.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

It was morning. The first beams of light shining upon the small village, giving everyone a new start. Except one light blue unicorn that had slept restless on her mattress all night. She had too many thoughts swimming through her head, constantly making her ask questions about the stallion that saved her life. No one had ever shown her such kindness, from the timber wolf attack all the way to him demanding that she gets some treatments for her wounds. The doctors found out that when she fell, she had twisted her hoof, and she wouldn’t be able to walk on it for a week. When the stallion had entered her room, he had shown real concern on his face when he saw her injury, though whether he knew or not was a mystery. Right now, the mare was wondering what the stallion was doing right now.

= = == = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dust Trail was turning in his cloud, grumbling. He was never much of a morning pony, and being brought back to life didn’t change that. He opened his eyes, which stung from the bright sun. After his eyes got adjusted, he began to stretch his sore muscles. He looked down at the town, and thought that it was very peaceful. Everypony was talking to each other, having conversations, and saw little markets selling goods.
He began to ponder how his life would’ve been if he had been grown up here, instead of dirty, unstable Purgatory. It was a little town just outside of Equestria’s borders, its crime rates always at a constant high. His thoughts were interrupted when a pink blur of joy popped right in front of his face and screamed, “HEY THERE~!” in a sing-songy voice.

Dust Trail, caught completely off guard, shouted, “What the fuuuuuu~!” while falling down his cloud and landed on the ground, hard.

The pink pony that was jumping on her trampoline that seemed to have come from nowhere hopped off, laughing at the pegasus’ fall. “Geez, lady, you could have given me a heart attack!”

The pink pony stopped laughing and began to introduce herself, or at least tried to, but her words were blurred close together, her sentences going by at the speed of sound, maybe even faster. “OhI’msorryabouthatIdidn’tmeantomakeyoufallit’sjustthatyou’reanewponyandIjusthadtomeetyoubecauseIknoweveryoneinPonyvilleandeverytimeaponymovesinIjusthavetomeetthemandthrowthemapartytohelpwlecomethemohyeahmyname’sPinkiePiewhat’syourname, huh?” She didn’t even stop to catch her breath. Her smile went from ear to ear, her entire being practically exploding from the anticipation of the newcomer’s name.

“Woah, me no speak your gibberish. Speak proper engrish!” Dust Trail spoke those words very slowly and with his hooves, as if she were a retard, or a mental psychopath, or both.

Ignoring the pegasus’ insult to her sanity, the mare said, “My name is Pinkie Pie, and since you’re new to the town of Ponyville, I wanted to welcome you to the rest of the citizens by throwing you a party! But first I need your name, because how can I throw you a party if no one even knows your name, I mean how ridiculous would that be, everyone stumbling, trying to guess your name right, spending most of party trying to get it right, it would be boooring! So what’s your name, huh?”

“Um, yeah, I don’t give out my name’s to complete strangers that stalk me around just to throw a party, so uh, no party for me. Thank you though.” Dust Trail started to walk away when Pinkie Pie came up right in front of him again out of nowhere. Being caught off guard again he jumped back ten feet. “Celestia’s Beard, stop doing that!”

“But I just can’t leave knowing that you can’t have a party! Every pony here has had a party done by me, and they’ve all loved it! I mean, you’re acting as though you don’t like parties, but that’s ridiculous because everyone loves parties I mean who doesn't? The only way you couldn't like parties is as if you never had one!”

“Well I’ve never had a party before, and I never will.”

Pinkie Pie stopped dead in her tracks. “Wait, I’m sorry, I didn’t quite get that.”

“I’ve never had a party and I never will.”

“I’m sorry, I just don’t understand . . ?”

I’ve never had a party and I never will!” Dust Trail was seriously getting annoyed by this mare.

Suddenly, Pinkie took out a dictionary and reading glasses from nowhere, and started to skim through the book. “Those words . . . can they be in the same sentence like that?!”

That’s when Dust Trail lost it. “I’ve never had a party! I’ve never had a party! I’ve never had a party! What part of that do you not understand?!”

“Never had a party?!” Pinkie threw away the dictionary and glasses from utter disbelief. “Well that’s terrible! Come on, follow me!” Suddenly she grabbed hold of Dust Trail by the tail with her mouth and started to drag him with her.

“Wait, where are you taking me?!”

“Ah’m taeking yoo thoo the paerthy wheder yoo like it oor noth!” The pink mare’s words were muffled by the colt’s tail.

“What? I can’t understand you.”

Pinkie spat his tail out. “I said-“ Dust Trail flew off in an instance, free from Pinkie’s grasp. He thought he was free, but looked behind him and saw she was right behind him. He started to fly higher, but just before he could fly three feet off the ground, the mare tackled him, bringing them both down to the ground.

“No! I don’t want a party! Let me go! Nooo!”