• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 19,631 Views, 3,316 Comments

Mass Effect: Shades of Twilight - Loyal2Luna



Following the events of Equestrian Equation, Twilight must lead her people to a new life in the Milky Way Galaxy, prevent the established races from exploiting the Herd, and prepare for the inevitable return of the Reapers. (An Interactive story)

  • ...
43
 3,316
 19,631

-Bonus- : In the Lair of the Shadow Broker

--Hagalaz--

"Shepard, good to see you." Liara T’soni looked up from her command console, turning to the Commander with a smile as he approached wearing his casual N7-branded shipwear. It was of course obvious to Commander Shepard that his friend had not slept in some time, judging by the purple bags under her eyes.

"I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d check in to see how you were doing," Shepard replied with a wave of his hand.

"I appreciate it. As you can imagine, I’ve been quite busy. I’ve barely even begun to catalogue the old Broker’s vast collection of data," Liara told him, cutting straight to the chase as she turned back to her work. "While you’re here, there is some new information on the terminal I've prepared that you might be interested in. You should take a look when you get a moment."

Nodding, Shepard took the hint and left the new Shadow Broker to her work, moving over the nearby console to see what she had found.


Dossiers: The Equestrian Herd

File One:

Broker Operation: Corral
Assets: Operative Valdiv (Covert Recon Specialist), Operative Amoni (Biologist), standard covert operations loadout, mobile research station loadout

Materials requested during course of operation: 24 LOKI mechs, 8 FENRIS mechs, 2 YMIR mechs, 1 unmarked Solari Class civilian cargo transport, 8 stasis chambers for specimen transport, 1 Kowloon Class freighter + crew (counterfeit credentials supplied)

Mission parameters:

—Determine validity of the Equestrian species, origins, and rumors of biotic potential.

—Determine origin of equine-form mechs: manufacture, composition, and construction.

—Evaluate asset/threat potential, catalogue known tendencies

—Obtain genetic samples of subspecies for study, verify findings with Operative Amoni

—Update: Obtain live specimens; transport to Site Falchion for study. Due to limited sample size, termination of specimens is prohibited. Collateral damage of property and other species not a concern.

Operative Valdiv's Reports

Entry 1: Arrived at the Citadel and infiltrated Tayseri Ward without incident. Arrival coinciding with the opening of the district to the general public. Will proceed to infiltrate “New Ponyville” as a tourist and begin gathering intel over the course of the next several solar days. I do not anticipate any complications. If anything, these “ponies” seem eager and willing to cooperate.

Entry 4: Biotic potential overwhelmingly verified as genuine. Neither of the three pony subspecies appears to use a biotic amp, yet the Equestrians’ mastery of barriers, levitation, and personal flight is nearly ubiquitous. Authority structure appears to be matriarchal in nature and is formed in a manner more in line with a corporation than a government.

Personal Note: While I have doubts that these creatures are the result of a secret Alliance experiment, I can see how the rumor has so easily taken hold. It is inconceivable that this race’s existence has escaped our notice until now.

Entry 5: All attempts to directly study the “Changelings” have failed. The mechs’ outer shell is composed of an as yet unidentified alloy which renders them invisible to standard omni-tool scans, and using more sophisticated scanning tech would arouse suspicion. Basic observation suggests that their cognitive functions appear to be on par with that of a traditional VI, though the Equestrians themselves seem to treat the artificial equines as more than mere servants. Should the parameters of the mission be expanded, I would recommend sending a robotics specialist to accompany the biologist.

Entry 7: Observed the Equestrians’ designated leader at a distance today. Twilight Sparkle’s authority over her “Herd” seems to be absolute, as the other members of her kind follow her directives explicitly. Following my observations, I have determined that any attempts at bribery or coercion would have a low chance of success. The “Madam President” appears obsessively dedicated to the wellbeing of her species above all else. Infiltrating her inner circle may prove impossible, as it seems to consist exclusively of her fellow ponies.

Personal Note: I find these Equestrians to be almost sickeningly sweet and innocent, but there’s something about their leader that makes me uneasy. I’ll be keeping a close eye on her.

Entry 13: I have now catalogued over 100 unique physical samples for study -- mostly hair follicles -- and passed them along to Operative Amoni for study. Obtaining the samples was relatively easy, though I am starting to doubt my ability to remain innocuous. Some of the ponies are starting to recognize and greet me directly during undercover reconnaissance. To keep my cover from being blown, I will avoid New Ponyville for the time being, and switch to long-distance observation only.

Entry 16: I’ve read Operative Amoni’s preliminary report, and frankly, it defies belief. The Doctor claims that the ponies did not originate on Earth (as was previously hypothesized) but predate Earth life entirely, along with all other modern galactic species. I would assume he was lying if he hadn’t already forwarded his findings to the Broker.

Personal Note: I am beginning to doubt the salarian’s contribution to the operation. I will recommend he be relieved and replaced immediately, followed by getting his head examined.

Entry 17: I’m officially rescinding my recommendation to relieve Operative Amoni. Followup testing at Site Falchion has confirmed the preliminary findings beyond any doubt. The Equestrians’ chromosomal structure shows signs of artificial structuring far more advanced than what is possible with current technology. Evolutionary paradigms indicate large-scale manipulation at the genetic level from a common ancestor potentially millions of years old, yet all three subspecies remain biologically compatible. They’re all the same species.

Personal Note: This should not be possible. In all my centuries I’ve never seen anything like this. If these Equestrians really were created, then who -- or what -- created them? And why have they appeared now, of all times? I’m starting to think reconnaissance isn’t enough. We need to know everything we can about these things.

Entry 19: New orders received, and plans are being made. I wish to express my professional opinion as a former Commando by stating that this operation will have to be flawlessly planned, timed, and executed. Abducting members of the work crews in Tayseri is not an option, as they lack the necessary diversity to satisfy the research quota. Herd mentality also rules out covert abduction, as even a single missing pony would be noticed too quickly. Therefore, the best approach would be to gather specimens in a single swift action, and immediately transport them off the station to Site Falchion before the authorities catch on. The Changeling units will also have to be sufficiently distracted or neutralized prior to the operation commencing. Requesting any information that can be provided on the district’s schematics, including security and emergency systems.

Entry 22: Operation will commence in four hours. With blueprints acquired from Expanding Reaches of District 1286 and Keeper Tunnel layouts of the underlying Ward, I predict a high probability of success. Explosives will be detonated during a window in time when no targets are present in their blast radii. Magnesium-phosphorus powder within the devices coupled with the planted viral VI in the Ward’s environmental sensors will ensure maximum distraction time from both emergency services and the Equestrians themselves. Recent externalities have proven useful in establishing a potential cover story for the event: a terrorist attack by someone inspired by the contents of an inflammatory documentary, The Cost of Grazing. Mechs armed with tranquilizers formulated by Operative Amoni will exit the tunnels during the chaos and identify/subdue Equestrians that fall within operational parameters. They will then be transported via Keeper Tunnel to an unmonitored exit point and back to base from there. Once secured aboard the Rodrigo, they will depart the Citadel en route to Site Falchion within the hour.

Personal Note: I’m increasing my fee by 10%. If the Broker wants the best, he’d better pay for it.

Entry 23: Operation status update: The requisite specimens have been secured and the Rodrigo is preparing to receive them. However, there were complications. Somehow, the Equestrians’ Director of Defense picked up our trail and nearly jeopardized the mission after destroying my entire unit of LOKIs. I quickly incapacitated her and made for the extraction point, leaving proximity mines as a contingency that would collapse the tunnel exit in the event I was pursued. They triggered within minutes, and shortly after, a C-Sec grounding order was placed on all ship travel to and from the Ward arm. They’re on to me. The possibility exists that this location might become compromised, therefore as soon as the Rodrigo is cleared for launch, I am dismantling this base and evacuating the area. Will update as information becomes available.

Entry 24: The operation was a failure. Before our contacts in C-Sec Tayseri Headquarters could lift the lockdown, none other than Madam President Twilight Sparkle herself tracked down my base, circumvented my security, exhausted my supply of mechs, and incapacitated the crew of the Rodrigo with the help of her companions. At the lack of direction provided by the Broker, I was forced into confronting her directly, and quite frankly, I am lucky to be alive. I managed to convince her into letting me leave, but not before revealing a side to her that was never hinted at in any of my previous reconnaissance. These Equestrians are not to be underestimated, and any future operations conducted in relation to them will need to be performed with the utmost discretion. Recommend that Twilight Sparkle be marked a Class-X threat level until further notice.

Personal Note: Fuck. I need a vacation.

::End Record::


File 2:

Intercepted Messages:

The following communique was intercepted via a public extranet terminal in District 1286. Flagged as possible Cerberus activity.

Eloas, T. (Senior Associate, Minerva's Trust) contacting *UNKNOWN USER*

Unknown User (UU): “Well? Did they accept your offer?”

Eloas (E): "I’m afraid not. The one I spoke to, the group’s treasurer, seemed to be interested. But she was apparently overruled by a higher authority."

UU: "You were asked to ensure the Equestrians took the deal, Mr. Eloas. You assured me that they would accept the terms of the agreement that we outlined. I believe your exact words were, ‘They can’t say no.’"

E: "That was my preliminary finding, yes. Under these extraordinary circumstances, I expected them to jump at the first chance to establish a credit line. All things considered, seventeen percent interest was more than generous."

UU: "And you didn't think to reduce the terms of the contract further?"

E: "F-further? Sir, with all due respect, the Trust's policy has always been to--"

UU: "This is not about policy, Mr. Eloas. You were tasked with obtaining a contract with the Herd, and you failed. Your superiors will not be pleased."

E: "I understand the Board’s frustration, but sometimes these things can’t be helped. Honestly, why Minerva’s Trust wants to prioritize this one species as a potential partnership over others doesn’t make sense to me. Or why you have been so insistent on securing their mechanical assets as part of the deal, for that matter."

UU: "You don’t need to understand the particulars, just know that both you and the Trust stand to gain much more than a new client in this deal."

E: "Well, true as that may be, it’s obvious that the Equestrians are intent on going it alone for the time-being... Maybe they’ll be more amenable to my offer when their sources of capital dry up. I can’t imagine any of our competitors giving them a better deal, at least."

UU: "I hope so, Mr. Eloas. In the meantime, I suggest you brush up on your haggling skills. And don’t contact me again unless you have some positive results."

E: “Y-yes… sir? Again, I have to stress how uncomfortable--”

*CALL ENDED*

====================

District 1286: C-Sec Office Terminal -- Series of private messages between head of Tayseri Ward C-Sec: Capt. Arlin Inastri and District 1286 Liaison Officer: Lt. Taxar Pyres

Capt. Inastri-
I’ve arrived as instructed in District 1286. Is this some kind of joke?
-Pyres
--------------------------------------
Lt. Pyres-
You know I don’t joke. You’re lucky I didn’t suspend your ass after that stunt you pulled in the 300 blocks. Just because the press calls you a hero doesn't mean the Executor agrees with your liberal interpretation of the word “warrant”.
-Inastri
--------------------------------------
Capt. Inastri-
I *saved* those people, and this is the thanks I get? I didn’t join C-Sec to sit behind a desk and babysit a bunch of stuffed animals.
-Pyres
--------------------------------------
Lt. Pyres-
And the only reason I haven’t taken your badge is because I know assignments like this are beneath someone of your talents. So do me a favor and calm the fuck down, tough it out until the dust settles, then we’ll stick some rookie in that office and you can get back to more important things.
-Inastri
--------------------------------------
Capt. Inastri-
Like submitting my resignation?
-Pyres
--------------------------------------
Lt. Pyres-
Not funny.
-Inastri
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Lt. Pyres-
What the fuck kind of stunt are you trying to pull, Pyres? I finally get your transfer approved and you *turn it down*? Are you getting too comfortable behind that desk, or what?
-Inastri
--------------------------------------
Capt. Inastri-
I’m being completely serious. As much as I’m sure the brass misses chewing me out, I think I’ll stick around for a little while longer. Blame my insatiable curiosity. There’s just something about these Equestrians that I can’t put my claw on. Sure, they look like a human child’s toy, but they’re not anything like they appear. Underneath the smiles and bright colors is a determination that burns like nothing I’ve ever seen. Hell, their Director Dash barely has a clue and even *she* puts in more effort than half of the damn force.
-Pyres
--------------------------------------
Lt. Pyres-
This is either the strangest example of insubordination I’ve ever seen, or you’ve gone completely insane, my friend.
-Inastri
--------------------------------------
Capt. Inastri-
Could be both. I’ll let you know.
-Pyres

===========================
File 3
Extranet activity and purchasing records for several ponies marked as ‘individuals of interest’ by Operative Valdiv, offering some insight into their habits and interests as well as guilty pleasures.

Madam President Twilight Sparkle: The Universal Guide for Understanding the Milky Way’s Many Races (Hardcover), All the Galaxy’s A Stage: Political Theatre in the Modern Era (Hardcover), The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: 22nd Century Edition (Hardcover), Time Management for Dummies (Hardcover) *sent back for refund; reason: unhelpful*

Rarity: The Wrong Fork: A Human’s Guide to Alien Etiquette (Digital), 12-month subscription to Mass Appeal (#1 Rated Fashion Magazine), Divided by Honor (Turian Romance) *reviewed 2/5 stars*, The Azure Fields (Asari Romance) *reviewed 4/5 stars*, The Azure Fields 2: Longing (Asari Romance) *reviewed 5/5 stars*, The Azure Fields Complete Series (270 Volumes of Asari Romance) *review pending*, Seat Reservation for Fleet and Flotilla (Sept. 28, 2186, 17:00 showing)

Rainbow Dash: C-SEC: The Beginning of Justice (Turian Documentary), Partners in Law (Action Movie), Partners in Law 2: Law Harder (Action Movie), Blasto: The Jellyfish Stings (Action Movie), Scale Collector’s Model (Normandy SR-1), Scale Collector’s Model (Turian Dreadnought), Scale Collector’s Model (3-for-1 Fighter Pack), Multi-level Glass Display Case *RUSH DELIVERY*

Pinkie Pie: Virtual Intelligence 101: Programming Introduction, Advanced Engineering 105, Advanced Holographics 105 (Theses Compilation), Bio-Tech: The Way of the Future (Online Seminar), The Complete Mordin Solus Bibliography (Digital), Galaxy of Fantasy Elite Edition (Video Game), Galaxy of Fantasy subscription extension (300 days), *multiple searches across various forums for “coffee substitute”*

Applejack: *5 extranet searches for various phrases containing “extranet”*, *37 extranet searches starting with the phrase “How do Ah”, Citadel Employment Regulations: Everything You Need to Know (Digital), Earth: The Home of Humanity (Documentary), The Equestrian Guide: The Horses of Earth (Documentary), Terra’s Select 24-count (Fermented Apple Beverage Variety Pack), How to Move On From Crisis: A Guide for Trauma Survivors (Self-Help Guide)

Fluttershy: Xeno-Psychology 102 (Online Seminar), How to Win Friends and Influence People (Self-Help Guide), Chicken Soup for the Soul 22nd Century Collection (Digital), My Animal Shelter: Galaxy Pets (Video Game), Miniature Holographic Projection Drone (Preloaded with 200+ Earth fauna profiles)

Sterling Silver: The Galactic Bank: A History of the Volus (Documentary), Feren Gi’s 286 Rules of Obtainment (Digital), Building Credit: The Markets of Thriving Colonies (Online Seminar), The Sentinel: Palaven Valor vs. The Cosmic Terror (Turian Graphic Novel), The Justicar Chronicles (Asari Graphic Novel), Best of the Silver Age (Earth Graphic Novel Collection), *extranet search for “how to restrict child from credit account”*

Macintosh Apple: A Spiritual Journey Through the Cosmos (Documentary Series), Expressing Yourself: The Wallflower’s Guide to Interactions (Self-Help Guide), The Galactic Lexicon: Expand Your Vocabulary in Any Setting! (Self-Help Guide)

Unknown Purchases: (Unable to trace these purchases to any specific individual or terminal download. However, they have been catalogued.)

The Immortal Crisis: Memoirs of a Matriarch (Documentary), Coping with Loss (Self-Help Guide), Pre-Prothean Civilization by Liara T’soni (Thesis), The Complete Works of Isaac Asimov 22nd Century Edition (Digital), The Complete Works of William Shakespeare 22nd Century Edition (Digital), The Complete Works of Mark Twain 22nd Century Edition (Digital)

========================================

Shepard stepped away from the console, bemused, as he moved to rejoin Liara.

“You know, Shepard, you still haven’t told me the whole story about what happened with you and the Equestrians,” she offered, sending him a sly glance.

“Maybe next time. It’s a long story.” Shepard shook his head good-naturedly, then with a touch more concern asked, “That’s some pretty specific info on there. The old Broker was interested in them?”

“Immensely. Their appearance on the Citadel took him completely off guard, and the more he learned about them, the more obsessed he became,” Liara responded, looking away from the databanks and reports, her tone surprisingly neutral.

“Obsessed enough to attack them directly?” Shepard inquired, folding his arms and leaning against the console.

“He realized how old their species truly is, and the implications of their having withstood countless cycles of Reaper harvesting. He was desperate to know if they held the key to surviving what’s to come.”

Shepard nodded. “Well, unfortunately for him, they are not as harmless as they might seem.”

“I’ve noticed,” Liara said, her voice split between admiration and intimidation. “And others are starting to take notice as well. His attempt to abduct several of them from New Ponyville spoke to his desperation. Thankfully, I’ve already made efforts to repair the damage that was done. It was not hard to determine what they needed given how openly they are discussed throughout the galaxy.”

“Have you been reading their mail?” Shepard asked with a smirk.

“I read everybody’s mail, Shepard,” the asari retorted playfully. “And speaking of which, your purple friend happened to send you something while you’ve been occupied. I have it on the comm station for you.”

Moving to the side, the Commander tapped into the console which brought up his messages and mail, seeing the new entry in his inbox.

“Dear Commander Shepard,

Crisis is a word that nobody cares for until it’s too late. Not knowing what is happening in the moment, having only so much time to make a crucial decision. I know that you are no stranger to conflict, but I imagine that it doesn’t get easier with experience. These past few days have shown me, more than any other time, a crisis is when we need each other most. I don’t know if you get news from the Citadel out in the Terminus Systems, but New Ponyville was attacked recently, and some of my ponies were abducted in the chaos. We’re fine now; we were able to get them back, though not without cost. I won’t go into the finer details, but now that things have settled down, I can’t help feeling like there was something more I could’ve done; a different choice to affect the outcome.

There is an Earth saying I heard from Anderson, about plans never surviving contact with the enemy. Preparation can only take you so far, and it’s the unexpected challenges that crop up along the way that can make or break anypony. And after everything that’s happened in the last few days, at least I can confidently say that we won’t be broken so easily. I may not be able to match you (in a number of ways) but I think I have a better understanding of your world now, and I plan on making good use of that insight.

I hope wherever you are, you are safe, and that you will have the chance to come by the Citadel soon to see what we’ve managed to accomplish here. I already have a spot picked out for us to meet up. Best view in the district!

Until next we meet, Your Friend,

Twilight Sparkle.”

Shepard couldn’t help but smile as he finished reading. A quick visit to the Citadel didn’t seem like a bad idea right then. But, his thought was interrupted when he heard his comlink chime.

The Commander raised his hand to his ear, fully alert. “Shepard here.”

“Commander, I have a priority message for you. It’s from Admiral Hackett,” came the voice of Kelly Chambers, his yeoman.

“Put him through.”

There was a brief moment of pause, then the gruff, familiar tone of the Alliance’s Supreme Commander came over the line. “Commander Shepard, I need to discuss a sensitive matter with you… privately. It’s urgent.”

Shepard nodded, not missing a beat. “Kelly, I’ll take this call in my quarters, I’m coming back on board.”

“Aye, Commander,” came the yeoman’s response.

“Never a moment’s rest, is there, Shepard?” Liara offered as he turned to depart. “Until next time. I’ll be sure to have something new awaiting your arrival.”

Author's Note:

Appetizer as we knock off the rust and get back into the swing of things. Please don’t forget to check out the previous chapter: New Dawn, as it has also been freshened up and revised.

No time table on the next chapter just yet, but it will be available soon.

Comments ( 125 )
Comment posted by Black Hoof deleted Aug 21st, 2021

10774357
With new Arc to be coming shortly. Don’t wanna give an exact deadline since myself and editor 2dExtreem both still have RL stuff to deal with an not as much time as before (ungh, being an adult) :applejackconfused:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ein

Welp, looks like it's time to re-read the entire fic as a refresher. Great to see you return, this was and still is one of my old favorites on fimfic and I can't wait to see where you take it next. Thanks for the update!!

10749996
Guess my scientific experiments worked after all.

Holy molly is this for real? I have to reread everything now!

You mean now I have to re-read this epic story on the cusp of the release of Mass Effect Legendary Edition?

Bring it on.

I would have been disappointed if AJ didn't ask "How do I extranet" at least once. :ajsmug:

It's alive?

It's alive!

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Can't wait for Mass Effect remastered to come out this inconceivable update pumped me up :DDD

Now this, this was a name I was not expecting to see ever again. This is why I still come back to haunt this site every few months. Sometimes miracles do happen.

10774458
No kidding. It's going to be so weird updating my e-reader with this one.

*blink* What the... This story is back??? Wow, that's a pleasant surprise.

It's great to see this fantastic story continuing!

It'll be interesting if Shepard ever tells Twilight about the Shadow Broker's change in management.

...
Wait...
It's back!?

Woo hoo!

Glad to have you reinstated, L2L. This was a breath of fresh air. I’m looking forward to more.

...it...it's alive?

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

So awesome this got an update!!!!

Comment posted by Black Hoof deleted Aug 21st, 2021

hiiiiiiii lunaaaaaaa o:

It never ceases to amaze me how well the dialogue is done. Shepard always sounds just as Shepard is supposed to sound.

Little Silver Spoon is a nerd. And a comic-book nerd at that!

Seems we dodged more of a bullet than expected (or at least remembered) with the credit choice. Those drones would have been stolen within the day.

The biotic hints are interesting. Just how powerful will Twilight be with an amp? AJ and Dash too, as the other apex specimens, are likely to be rather epic with the proper kit.

Oh wow, one of the fandom's earliest classic crossovers is back online! :pinkiegasp:

Welcome back. You've been sorely missed. :pinkiesad2:

Comment posted by Black Hoof deleted Aug 21st, 2021

I can only imagine the look on the girls faces when they find out about Shepard destroying a relay. I also imagine that that may also cause trouble for them when the Batarians realize how close the ponies are with Shepard and his crew.

I was so excited to see this update, then so sad to see the word "Bonus" in the chapter title. It was nice to get another peek into this world, but I'd been hoping to see the story return.

And then the Author's Note! Aaaah! I'm nervicited. :pinkiegasp:

Interesting insight into where Shepherd is in his timeline. And a great way to get rolling again. I cant wait for more. Dont worry about the deadline, don't rush you're lovely writing. I can't wait to see it come to fruition. :heart:

JMP

I hope Shepard gets a chance to visit Twlight. Maybe even let her know that Liara took over as the Shadow Broker and is the one responsible for the reparations. Then again, did Twilight really meet Shepard's companions? Probably not Liara given we're in Mass Effect 2 but maybe he's mentioned her?

Jest #28 · Apr 17th, 2021 · · 9 ·

Whelp, this year's update is out. I guess see ya'll in a good 5 years or so for the next one.

Glad to see you're still around!

Great update. Hope things are well on your end

10774947
Next one will be out before the end of April.


10774778
The Illusive Man : “stolen is such an... inaccurate term. It should be considered a minor recompense for our people’s role in your continued existence. The first of many such payments owed.”


10774944
They didn’t have much time save a few specific meet and greets, only 3 or 4 hours on the Normandy, although Twilight would have at least met a few of the prominent crew members, not all.

10774909
Now he just has to do the admiral a quick favor before he can come back to see things. Should be a real quick in and out without any consequences whatsoever.

10775031
That's great to hear. I always hope to be wrong when I get cynical.

IT'S ALIVE!!
seriously, did not expect that at all, nice to see L2L around again

Well, isn't this a nice surprise, I was just about to reread both stories when I notice an update on one.

Welcome back.

DNC

It livvvvvs!!!!!:flutterrage::pinkiegasp::pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy: You have no idea how happy I am to move this out of my Hope folder.:pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy: Glad to see you back.:pinkiesmile: It's always a bit sad to see good story's go dead.:pinkiesad2:

I haven’t been in this fandom long enough to have seen this when the first story started or when this one last updated for now but I have now and I’m better for it I hope you continue this

From one caffeinated Insane fan to another thank you for making this I didn’t know I needed it until I found it

I am in no position to reread a 19k chapter right now. Heck, it has been 12 hours since discovering that L2L has returned, and it has taken me until now to comment. But don't worry, once I have the time, I will get myself up to date.

...and on a related note, I would post that "It's Alive!" video, but 10774398 has done one better. Seriously, that is one act you don't even bother trying to follow. :derpytongue2:

I’m glad to see this return....:pinkiehappy:

This wouldn’t be because of a certain re-master would it?
:trixieshiftright:

I wonder if I'm the only one who saw the DS9 reference......

So I've just started reading this now and I gotta say this is confusing. Mass effect one is a sequel to mass effect two, (Which is dumb and confusing already) but you also don't use the author's tools to indicate that one is a sequel of the other. I know it's written in the description but it seems silly to not utilize the tools available to you when it costs you nothing to do so.

And now I've spoiled the entirety of one because I just assumed that 2 came after one. Silly me.

10776273
"Mass Effect 2 - DLC: The Equestrian Equation" is like a DLC for the "Mass Effect 2" game. An adventure of Shepard and his crew.
This sequel doesn't take the same approach, thus its title.

10776296
I know that now, but common sense dictates that this story should be called Mass Effect 2: The Shades Of Twilight. Or Mass effect 3 shades of Twilight. Because if you use the author's own naming conventions then this story should take place during mass effect one, which would make it the first in the series. If you used normal naming conventions this would also logically be the first in the series as well.

So it's a nonsensical title no matter how you slice it. Honestly it seems like it was written that way as a trap to new readers, which would explain why the author refuses to use the prequel/sequel tool built into the fimfiction website which would automatically indicate which is the prequel and which is the sequel.

Holy shit, I didn’t believe my eyes when I got the email that this had updated.

Gonna have to start over tho; I remember the broad stokes of the story but I’m fuzzy on the details. Gimme few days to catch up and then I can comment on it intelligently!

10776326
I acknowledge your opinion.

10776326
I'm not sure the site's sequel system was implemented when this was written.

Jest #46 · Apr 18th, 2021 · · 2 ·

10776417
It is now, and can be added retroactively.

Not going to lie, I am glad you haven’t given up on this story.

10776273
Actually shades of Twilight is technically a Spin-Off rather than part of the sequel, set in the mass effect universe and is thus not part of the numbered entries. The mass effect games 'specifically' follow Commander Shepard after all.

10776326
Mass Effect: Retribution is a book that canonically takes place after Mass Effect 2 (the game). By your logic, this means the book should be called Mass Effect 3 and the actual Mass Effect 3 is wrong and misleading.
How about you do some research instead of instantly assuming that someone is trying to fool you when you don't understand something.

Jest #50 · Apr 18th, 2021 · · 3 ·

10776580
But it canonically takes place after your previous story, making it a sequel. The prequel to this story is also required reading. Which again, makes it a sequel. You even call it a sequel in your authors notes for this very story. pbs.twimg.com/media/EzShFRzVcAkgXiH?format=jpg&name=medium

Spin offs can be sequels. A prequel can have more then one sequel. You can write a story wherein there are two sequels that both treat the prequel as cannon.

This is a sequel and calling it a spin off because it doesnt follow commander shepherd is just plain silly.

Login or register to comment