• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 19,598 Views, 3,313 Comments

Mass Effect: Shades of Twilight - Loyal2Luna



Following the events of Equestrian Equation, Twilight must lead her people to a new life in the Milky Way Galaxy, prevent the established races from exploiting the Herd, and prepare for the inevitable return of the Reapers. (An Interactive story)

  • ...
43
 3,313
 19,598

Arc 2 - Conclusion: Daybreak

Author's Note:

REVISED VERSION ONLINE - Many Thanks to 2dExtreem for his invaluable assistance and for keeping things going to allow for some closure during my long hiatus, also thanks to Blackhoof and Ed2481 who acted as proofreaders and helped keep things moving.

Twilight’s teeth clenched tight and her head pounded painfully. All of the day’s exertions were catching up to her all at once, but there was still one last thing to take care of before the day was done: the alien woman restrained in front of her, wearing a smug expression in spite of her situation.

In Equestria, Twilight had never seen true evil, as the “villains” cooked up by Discord to occupy her and her friends seemed almost laughably innocent in hindsight. Hay, even Discord himself was driven more by madness than malice in the end.

Before this day, the closest thing to true evil Twilight had experienced was the first being she’d met mere minutes after exiting the simulation. She had seen a glimpse of it in the eyes of Dr. Milligan, a man who was willing to exterminate her entire species in order to further his goals. She could sense the pure spite in his voice as he threatened the lives of her and her friends, and she was left with no choice but to put a permanent end to his ambitions.

But this woman, this ‘ALIEN’ was something else entirely. Something that sickened Twilight Sparkle to her core.
She was not driven by a misguided belief she was doing anything grand or saving lives. She did not have an ideal or a goal that demanded sacrifice in order to serve a greater good. She did not have any sort of justification that her actions would be to the betterment of her people or anything larger than herself.

On her knees, they were eye to eye, the Asari sitting there with a smug expression that was one of victory, not defeat.
She had the Herd, and Twilight, figured out. She had studied them, and knew that this was the best way to get out of her situation.

No, It wasn’t evil in those cold, calculating blue eyes.
it was detachment.
Apathy.
She didn’t care about the implications of her mission, the damage she’d done, or the pain she’d caused, all in the pursuit of mere credits.

More than any Timberwolf, Ursa, or any of the countless other obstacles created in Equestria by Discord’s need to antagonize them, Twilight recognized.

THIS was a monster.

“You’re right about one thing…” Twilight said finally, feeling an odd sort of serenity come over her. Her face was a mask as she stared down the asari, who found her own smirk faltering a bit in response to the unicorn’s shift in tone. “Taking a life… it does change you.”

Her eyes shifted, squinting slightly in concentration. Without warning, the M-3 Predator lying on the floor nearby was enveloped in a purple glow and launched up into the air. In a fraction of a second, it snapped around, aiming at the asari, and then:

BANG.

The sound of the shot rang out through the room, almost deafening her. But she made sure to watch as the agent immediately flinched and tensed her body up, eliciting a quiet gasp. She displayed true vulnerability for the first time. Just for a moment. Some seconds passed as a quiet stillness came over the scene, the only movement being the tiny wisp of steam that drifted from the vent in Twilight’s weapon. It was then that the agent realized: Not only was she somehow still alive, she was surprisingly undamaged.

The asari quickly reopened her eyes. The first thing she noticed was a shimmering biotic field obscuring her sight, and encased in that field -- mere centimeters in front of her face -- the solid metal slug. Then, she looked past it, to the unicorn mare staring her down with her muzzle set in a grim scowl. Twilight chose that moment to release her biotics, causing the spent ammo to clatter to the ground at her prisoner’s knees.

After that, it took another second for the agent to piece together what happened and, like a switch was flipped, assumed a neutral expression in an attempt to mask her emotions. “I am surprised, Twilight. You don’t seem like the type to indulge in theatrics.”

Twilight snorted, raising the pistol up but still keeping it ready. “I think I made my point well enough,” she countered.

“Agreed,” the blue woman said in a flat, respectful tone. “But as we are still talking, am I to assume you intend to release me now?”

Thus, it was with mixed feelings that Twilight had come to her conclusion: Unfortunately, yes. As distasteful as it was, she had to let the asari go. She’d seen the looks on the C-Sec personnel’s faces at the mere mention of the Shadow Broker back at Tayseri Headquarters, and she knew there was no guarantee that enough of the force was above his influence to ensure her captivity. The Broker’s reach was far; of this, she had no doubt. There were simply too many variables to consider.

And above all, Twilight couldn’t let herself kill someone completely at her mercy, even someone as detestable as this agent. Not when it wasn’t absolutely necessary. She had to be better than that.

Twilight closed her eyes and breathed out slowly, and when she opened them again, her mind was made up. Without any fanfare, she began using her biotics to loosen the tight grip of the metal pipe binding the woman’s hands and feet.

“I do. This time,” the unicorn spat bitterly behind clenched teeth. “But let me make one thing crystal clear: There won’t be a next time. Because if we ever meet again…”


Twilight let that threat hang in the air for a few seconds to drive the point home as the asari wiggled out of her restraints. She then stood up, rubbing her wrists together. “Relax. I don’t have a death wish,” the agent answered in an amused tone.

With that, she wasted no time fluidly sprinting to the busted doorway. For an instant, she paused, half-turning her head in the direction of the banks of equipment stacked against the wall before she stopped herself. A small pang of regret seemed to come across her, but she evidently decided it wasn’t worth jeopardizing her ticket to freedom. She lithely stepped through the opening, and disappeared past it. And just like that, she was gone.

For a few long moments, Twilight Sparkle stood perfectly still and watched the now-empty passage. She stood, and waited, until she was sure that the threat had well and truly departed… before letting the facade fall.

All at once, Twilight let out the breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding in a sharp gasp, followed by near-hyperventilation. Her posture slumped as an uncontrollable shiver raced up her spine, and a jumbled mess of feelings played out across her face. The reality of what just went down had just barely started to sink in, but already, it was making her queasy.

She’d fired a gun. A live weapon. At a living person. And sure, she’d fully intended on doing it simply to make a point, confident in her own ability to halt the bullet right before impact. But there was more to it. Something that bothered her terribly about the whole situation and put her own self-identity into question…

Because deep down, she couldn’t deny the not-insignificant part of her that wished she’d just… let it happen. Quick and easy; no remorse. It would have been a once unthinkable concept to the innocent bookworm she’d spent most of her life as, and this alone immediately filled her with a terrible sense of shame and disgust.

The agent was right: She really had changed.

Twilight looked over to the pistol floating next to her like she was seeing it for the first time. Her reaction was immediate, and she instinctively flung it away from her, sending it careening across the room as if it was literally repulsive to her. She never wanted to see it again.

Get a grip, Twilight, she told herself, trying to calm her nerves and impose order on her thoughts by focusing on the blank white floor in front of her. Just keep it together. Breathe... Breeeeeathe...

It took a minute of repeating this mantra to herself before Twilight eventually felt her heart rate creep down to something approaching normal. She couldn’t fool herself into thinking she was anywhere near feeling okay… but she was finding a modicum of success in tamping down on her conflicting emotions.

*Ping!*

Reacting on a hair trigger, she spun around at the unexpected noise, her horn already alight in preparation for more danger. But there was nothing; no traps, no hidden mechs… just the computer bank along the wall, where the asari had been working before Twilight busted in.

Curiosity replaced confusion as she watched an image project from the holographic interface: what appeared to be the waveform of an audio channel, making it clear that a connection had been established with this terminal. Letting her horn dim, Twilight spent little time wondering who -- or what -- was on the other end, because the answer was made immediately clear as the being started to speak.

“This is the Shadow Broker,” The voice was possibly male, but rough and slightly garbled, as if it was being run through a filter. Twilight’s eyes widened at this, but before she could think of a response, it became obvious the voice wasn’t speaking to her directly as it continued without pause.

“The situation is under control. We experienced a power fluctuation while upgrading hardware. It disrupted communications momentarily. However, we are now back online. Resume standard procedures.”

Twilight’s scowl deepened at the sheer uncaring neutrality of the voice, but after having just dealt with one of the Broker’s agents, it didn’t surprise her at all. Even through the filter, she could sense the businesslike attitude of the being on the other end, as if it considered itself above the dirty work being carried out by its lackeys in the name of “standard procedures.”

“I want a status report on all operations in the next solar day,” the voice continued, with an air of finality and authority. “Shadow Broker out.”

The soundwave visual flattened, leaving an empty silence in its wake. Twilight’s gaze stayed fixed on the screen, feeling a torrent of emotions whirling around inside her from everything that had happened. Part of her wanted to break down and cry; to fall to the floor and simply wait for someone to come pick her up and carry her home. Another part wanted nothing more than to fall asleep and stay that way for weeks on end. But more than that or anything else, what she was feeling most was her anger finally reaching a frothing boil.

With what was left of her flagging strength, Twilight took a few shaky steps up to the console, hoping that the comm channel was still open -- and not particularly caring if it wasn’t.

“...I don’t know if you can hear me,” Twilight started, her mouth and throat feeling painfully dry. “But if you can, then listen carefully, Shadow Broker. My name is Twilight Sparkle of the Equestrian Herd, and as its president, I consider what transpired here today to be an act of war.”

She doubted that whoever might be on the other end could see her, but that did not keep Twilight from straightening up and holding her head high.

“You may think that because you hold so much power, that this galaxy and everything in it is yours to do with as you please. But you’re wrong. My ponies are not your playthings. They are under my protection, and I will never forgive you for what you’ve done to them -- to us.”

“Consider this your one warning: Come after us again, and there will be no world; no barren moon; no cold, dead nebula in the dark depths of space that you can run to.” Now Twilight’s head was lowered close to the ground, and with eyes like burning embers, she unconsciously dug her hoof into the metal floor. “Even if it’s the last thing I do, no matter how long it takes, I will hunt you down. I will find you. And I will end you.”

With her ultimatum delivered, Twilight waited for any kind of response, any acknowledgement of the weight she’d tried to impose behind her words. But the hologram stayed static; unmoving, and to her eyes, uncaring. Either the Broker didn’t get the message, or deigned it unworthy of a reply. Regardless, she figured there was nothing more to be gained from pressing further. Which left--

“Twilight?”

The mare nearly jumped, hearing an unexpected voice when she’d already assumed there wouldn’t be any. In her beleaguered state, it took her a few seconds to process the fact that the voice did not come from the console, and wasn’t that of the Broker’s at all.


Haltingly, a slight pain moving up her neck, Twilight turned around to the source of the sound, and saw none other than Pinkie Pie finish squeezing her body through the jammed doorway. Her pink friend’s goggles were up on her head, showing her wide blue eyes to be full of concern and confusion. The earth pony mare, being a bit thicker than Twilight and nowhere near as agile as the asari commando, took a moment longer to force her way into the room and then took a few steps forward, taking a look around at the scene, unsure what to make of it.

“Who were you talking to?” Pinkie asked, her voice lacking any of her usual joviality or excitement.

“What? Oh…” Twilight glanced back at the console, where the communications hologram appeared to have gone away, leaving behind a blank screen. “It was… nothing. Never mind.”

The unicorn paused, feeling as though she was forgetting something important as her tired mind muddled along like her thoughts were obscured in a cloud of fog. A moment later, a light went on in her brain and her head snapped forward in attention as she remembered what it was. “The others! Are they alright!?”

Managing to shelve her immediate concerns for now, Pinkie was able to answer by giving her friend a reassuring smile. “It’s okay, Twilight. Everypony’s okay,” she said comfortingly,

“Oh thank Celestia” At this news, Twilight felt a wave of relief wash over her and for just a moment, she wobbled on her hooves. That was odd, was it getting lighter in here? Was something wrong with the area’s gravity?

Pinkie Pie nodded. “After Forty-Two and I secured the crew, we found all eight of the abductees in the cargo bay. They were all put into some kind of stasis pod thingy, but as far as I could tell, none of them are hurt.” Pinkie’s smile fell a little, and she rubbed her shoulder uncomfortably. “Well… Scootaloo looks like she got a pretty nasty cut on her snout, but it’s nothing a little medigel can’t fix. At worst, it’ll leave a scar. Other than that, though, everypony’s gonna be fine.”

“Good…” Twilight muttered, bowing her head and breathing out slowly. “That’s good…”

“What about the asari? What happened to her?” came Pinkie’s next question.

Twilight swallowed. “The asari...” she started, wondering whether or not Pinkie should know what had transpired in that room mere moments ago. Could she expect her friend to understand what she did, and why she did it?
Perhaps… but not right then, not when everything was still so chaotic... For now, it was best to keep it a secret.

“...She got away,” Twilight finished in a defeated tone, hoping Pinkie wouldn’t press any further on the issue. She didn’t feel like adding “lying to one of her best friends” to the long list of things she’d had to do that day.

“Oh… I see,” Pinkie said simply, her stoic expression not betraying any of her thoughts on the matter. “Well, C-Sec’s already on their way, should only be a couple of minutes. Maybe once they get here, they can--” The pink mare stopped abruptly, a look of intense worry coming over her as she looked Twilight over. “Twilight, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Twilight sluggishly raised her head, looking at Pinkie with tired confusion. Strangely, she was having a hard time getting her eyes to focus clearly.

In response, Pinkie raised her hoof and pointed at the unicorn. “Your nose is bleeding!” she urgently pointed out.

This came as news to Twilight, who reacted by slowly bringing up one of her own hooves and touching the end to her nose. She pulled it back, noticing the wet red stain drawn across its surface, and stared at it bemusedly for several long seconds.

“Huh.”

It was hard to remember exactly what happened after that. The next thing she knew, her world turned sideways.

And then, it all went dark.


Active Log: 42 of 50 - Day 65 A.E.

Present location: Huerta Memorial Hospital, Presidium

Status: Compiling Data

With all relevant details now reviewed and compiled, Forty-Two of Fifty had nothing else to distract him from what was occurring around him in that moment. He did not feel it necessary to include the arrival of Captain Inastri and her supporting officers, who then went about securing the area -- a pretty easy job, considering there was no remaining resistance. While their reactions were mixed, none of the C-Sec personnel on the scene could deny being impressed by the two-pony team’s handiwork. (Forty-Two’s own involvement had been naturally downplayed.)

The smugglers aboard the ship were promptly slapped into handcuffs and carted off along with whatever equipment could be salvaged from the agent’s operation. Shortly afterward, several technicians also arrived, along with medics to tend to the disoriented Equestrians that had been thankfully recovered without suffering any serious injury.

All except for one.

Forty-Two and Pinkie were not allowed to accompany Twilight into the medical transport, something that continued to eat away at the changeling as he resisted bringing up images of the Madam President’s limp body being carried away on a gurney with blood dripping from her ears and nostrils. At least nopony else would have to see such a grim sight -- morale in New Ponyville was low enough as it was.

In the room behind him, the remaining four Directors were being briefed on the conditions of their friends. Forty-Two could make out bits and pieces of the conversation through the door leading to the VIP waiting room, but after a moment's consideration elected for a more detailed and efficient way of gathering the desired information, once again accessing the now-familiar hospital databanks.

Huerta Memorial Patient File: 30018-67
Name: Sparkle, Twilight -- Species: Equestrian -- Gender: Female -- Age: 21

Location: Room #208-A, Recovery Ward, VIP Area

Attending Physician: Dr. Amali, Inisha, PhD (XenoNeuro, Subspecialty: Biotics),

Cause for Admittance: Intracranial hemorrhage, extreme exhaustion.

Initial Diagnosis: Diagnostic scans indicate highly elevated levels of stress-related toxins in all major muscle groups. Physical examination of the patient’s condition also shows evidence of extended periods of mental overexertion, as well as a significant lack of REM sleep. This, when combined with a course of rigorous physical activity followed by extensive overuse of biotics, has caused microvascular vessels in the patient’s aural and nasal cavity to burst from the strain. Officially categorized as first documented case of “Eladora Syndrome” in a non-asari: Biotic overexertion leading to hemorrhage and potential stroke.

Treatment: Patient immediately transferred to Critical Care. Following consultation with Dr. Stable, E-PhD/E-M.D. (outside medical specialist in Equestrian physiology and care, see attached xeno-biology accreditation), high-grade muscle relaxant (Isidio-chloride) and detoxins (Palsuidine) used in conjunction with sedatives to alleviate symptoms. No sign of intra-axial bleeding detected, suggesting that treatment was provided early enough to prevent potentially fatal complications often associated with Eladora Syndrome.

Post-Op Report: Patient remains unconscious and in critical condition. Lack of previous data on Equestrian species precludes prognosis or recovery timetable. Recommend around-the-clock monitoring in case further complications arise. Also recommend that patient dramatically limit her use of biotics for at least three weeks after being discharged, and to refrain from taxing her abilities overmuch until such a time that a regulatory amp can be installed.

Current Status: Patient has been removed from sedation, though muscle relaxants are to continue to be administered. Period of recovery unknown.


If Twilight’s brain was capable of talking to itself, its first words upon regaining consciousness would probably have been, “Good morning! You’re alive! By the way, your everything hurts.”

It was certainly an accurate statement. She was proud of her brain for being so incredibly on the ball and perceptive of her current situation. She needed to remember to give it a book later.
But seriously, each pulse of her heartbeat could be felt as a dull throb that worked its way from the tip of her horn to the ends of her hooves, not to mention the sensation coming from each of her muscles that could best be described as “buttery”.

Taking in a short breath, Twilight detected the unmistakable scent of sterility, and her ears twitched in time with a flat, steady beeping sound from somewhere nearby. Even in her state, all of these clues allowed her weary, likely drugged mind to suss out her location long before she forced her eyes open.

The hospital room at Huerta Memorial was exactly what she had expected: white metallic bulkheads, glass doors intended to allow for observation, and assorted medical equipment -- an unnerving amount of it being attached to her in some way. She was laid out on her right side, her legs at a natural rest angle and facing the door, able to see individuals moving in the hallway beyond, mostly asari, salarians, and humans. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the thin tube of an IV snaking its way over her shoulder and embedded where her neck and foreleg met, With the slightest bit of effort, which pained her more than a little as she shifted her neck, he could see the thin bed sheet draped over her lower body, her barrel and flank bare and exposed. Twilight briefly wondered where her clothes had gone, but figured it was a question that didn’t need to be answered right away.

It took some effort, but she managed to lift her head to the side, letting out a soft groan of discomfort as she did so. This must have drawn the attention of her faithful green-eyed sentinel, who quickly stepped forward into view with a metallic clip.

"Forty-Two?" Twilight managed, although she regretted it immediately, her tongue heavy and the words slurred as her mouth tasted of sandpaper and the sourness that came from thirst.

"Unit Present, Madam President.Prepared to receive inquiry." the changeling responded formally, his tone far more synthetic than usual. Even in her current condition, Twilight understood immediately, taking it as a sign that they were likely being monitored and that perhaps it was wise not to behave outside of expectations.

"Is everypony okay?" She rasped, trying to ignore how the inside of her mouth felt dry as sandpaper.

"Endangered herd members recovered and accounted for." Forty-Two delivered blankly, masking the small surge of pride he felt in his mistress’ sense of priorities. "Status Update: Director Rainbow Dash’s injuries are not life-threatening. She has undergone reparative surgery and is currently recovering within this facility. Scootaloo has suffered a mild laceration along her nasal bridge and minor damage to her upper jaw, both of which have been successfully treated. The rest of the abductees suffered no long-term effects, and have been returned safely to New Ponyville."

“Good… good.” Twilight let out a sigh of relief, her immediate concern put at ease. Now she tried to focus on her own situation, attempting to clear the cobwebs from her head as her tongue rolled around and attempted to dampen her mouth to get rid of that dry feeling.

“Water…” She managed.

“Negative, Madam President. You are currently on a complex regimen of treatment which necessitates intravenous hydration.” The changeling informed her. “

“Treatment?” There was another moment of confusion as she tried to recall how she had ended up here. “What happened? The last thing I remember, I was talking to Pinkie, and then…”

“You suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, likely brought on by repeated and extreme biotic expenditures, and exacerbated by fatigue from the preceding events,” Forty-Two explained. “The Asari refer to your current condition as ‘Eladora Syndrome’.”

Twilight let out a moan as she let the information sink in.

“Symptoms?” she asked after a long moment, dreading the answer.

“Condition only affects non-amp regulated biotics or biotics who’s amps are malfunctioning. Initial stages include aural and nasal cavity bleeding as well as loss of motor control and black outs, all of which you experienced in the Zakera Warehouse. Without immediate treatment; extreme risk of intracranial stroke and neurological breakdown due to overstressing of element zero nodes.” The Changeling managed, drawing a horrified expression from the purple unicorn as she lay there. In spite of his deadpan delivery, he did at least have the initiative to continue. “However, you received treatment almost immediately, and this facility’s staff were successful in preventing any lasting damage. All signs indicate recovery chances are optimal.”

“Oh, thank Celestia,” the mare let out in a huff. Knowing full well there were risks involved when it came to biotics and head injuries, but having not the exact details. She’d never felt more vulnerable than in that instant. She counted her lucky stars, aware that it could’ve been much worse. At the very least her head seemed to be clearing a bit more and in spite of that sour taste, her tongue now didn’t feel quite so heavy as she tried to further assess her situation.

“How long have I been out?”

“You have been unconscious for approximately two daily cycles,” Forty-Two stated, then continued to elaborate before Twilight could ask the natural follow-up. “Acting Vice President Applejack has been modestly successful at maintaining order in New Ponyville during your absence. Regardless, she, and every other member of the Herd, are anxiously awaiting your recovery.”

Twilight nodded, laying her head back on the pillow. “The sooner the better. I need to--”

“You must rest, Madam President,” Forty-Two finished for her. “Until the medical professionals tasked with your care deem otherwise.”

Twilight looked to her assistant -- her trusted companion -- first with annoyance, then with resigned understanding.

Then, almost as if on cue, the door opened, admitting an asari in a medical uniform. Twilight nearly recoiled, but managed to suppress the unpleasant reaction and remind herself that the alien who had attacked her people had been the exception, not the rule. Even though asari could sometimes be difficult to tell apart.

“Good morning, President Sparkle,” the asari managed with a friendly voice and a disarming smile, although the title was clearly alien to her tongue. “Pleased to see you finally open your eyes. I am Dr. Inisha Amali, and I’ll be your attending physician. I have to say, you had us quite worried for a while there.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Twilight forced a smile of her own as she braced herself for the long string of formalities and probing questions that were sure to come next.

“Actually I’m quite sure you did, Madam President. Eladora Syndrome is not something that you reach without trying very… VERY hard. Although I suppose congratulations are in order given you are the first non-asari known to be diagnosed with this particular condition.” The doctor offered with a small smile that spoke of a long career of treating patients and an afable bedside manner. “Most turian, human, or even krogan biotics can rarely even access their abilities without regulatory amps.”

“Well, it’s nice to be the first.” Twilight managed, trying to give a smirk before a shiver ran down her withers and she gritted. “Uh, Before we get started, Doctor, is there any chance I can get something for the pain?”

“I’m afraid you’re already maxed out on painkillers.”Inisha said consolingly. She then took a seat right next to the bed and brought out the datapad she had with her, tapping away on its surface before returning her attention to Twilight. “But perhaps I can help you take your mind off of it if I can get you to answer some questions? It should only take a few minutes.”

That’s what they always say… Twilight lamented, trying to ignore the throbbing in her head as they started.


It was less than half an hour after the long and tedious question-and-answer session with Doctor Amali that the door to Twilight’s room slid open again, admitting her first visitor. And who it was did not surprise her at all.

“Twilight!” Applejack all but galloped into the room, bright-eyed and grinning with a clear relief, though from the appearance of her mane, she looked a little disheveled. “Ah came as soon as Ah heard you’d woken up!”

“Hey, Applejack,” Twilight responded, after having been moved up onto her back, several of the earlier devices removed and allowing her into a more comfortable position leaning up. To her credit, she mustered the strength to wave her hoof. “How’s it going?”

“How’s it goin’?” Applejack looked at her friend incredulously. “How’s it goin’? Twi, do y’all have any idea how worried sick everypony’s been about you? Honestly, ta hear Pinkie tell it, it sounds like ya took on a goshdarn army all by yerself! Then, ya had ta go an’ land in the hospital on account a’ some kinda ‘biotic episode’ or sumthin’? The hay were you thinkin’!?”

“I wasn’t.” Twilight admitted, leaning back. “I had an army in front of me and a lot of pent up frustration from the last few days. It was about time something blew up and it was better that it was a bunch of mechs than anypony we actually cared about.”

Applejack’s next words caught in her throat, and she looked away timidly, recognizing that her own actions had clearly added to that ‘frustration’ while trying to hide the fact that she was getting emotional. “Oh… uh, yeah. Ah git that, Twi. It’s just… Just… next time, be more careful, alright?”

Twilight shook her head, unable to keep from smiling at the care her friend was obviously displaying.

“Of course, you are right, AJ. And I’m sorry for making everypony worry.” Twilight told her friend. “I’ll be more careful next time, I promise.”

“Next time, Sugarcube?” Applejack shook her head incredulously and moved up, settling on her haunches on the side of the bed, ignoring the more asarian style chair that was set in the room. “Let’s hope there’s not a ‘next time’ for something like this. I honestly don’t think that the Herd could take it.”

Twilight reflected on that and nodded in a mute agreement. Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words, but right now was not the time to debate the likelihood of another terrible event that could befall them all.

“Right… right. In any case, moving away from that, I can’t imagine the past two days have been easy for you, Vice President.”

In response, Applejack rolled her eyes and let out a throaty chuckle.

“Heh... Is it that obvious?” The orange mare breathed out, grateful for the change in subject. “Ah don’t know how ya do it, Twi. Ah thought runnin’ Sweet Applecations was taxin’, but bein’ head honcho a’ the Herd is sumthin’ else. Ever since ya put me in charge, Ah’ve been up ta mah hat in other ponies’ problems -- not to mention havin’ ta keep the peace while beatin’ back reporters like it’s the first day a’ Cider Season!”

“That definitely sounds familiar,” Twilight agreed while wearing an amused expression. “Makes you want to just curl up in your bed and shut it all away, doesn’t it?”

Applejack looked at the unicorn, the weariness showing in her eyes and suggesting to Twilight that she’d hit the nail on the head. “Ah always figured you were havin’ a rough time of it, but y’all made it look so easy."

Twilight couldn’t help but laugh at that, but then winced as the action brought a twinge of pain to her neck. Applejack laughed as well, happy that the two friends could find at least a little bit of humor in the situation.

“It’s a tough job, but somepony’s gotta do it,” Twilight retorted.

“Do ya have ta do it alone, though?” asked Applejack, her question taking Twilight slightly off guard.

“...What do you mean?”

“What Ah mean is, given what’s been goin’ on with ya lately, it’s obvious this job’s too big fer just one pony,” she started to explain, her tone serious now. “Ya need ta take yer own advice from back when I was tryin’ ta do Applebuck Season all by my lonesome. Now Ah’m not sayin’ ya should let just anypony fill yer horseshoes whenever, but Ah know fer a fact that mahself, Rarity, Fluttershy, an’ even Pinkie would be more’n happy ta help share the load. Ya gotta learn ta… ta…” The earth mare trailed off, her brow furrowing in concentration. “Aw, shoot. What was that word again? Starts with a ‘d’...”

“Delegate, Director.” spoke Forty-Two helpfully from off to the side, Twilight having to look as she had nearly forgotten he was there, as quiet as he had been throughout the last few hours.

“Thankya.” Applejack turned to the changeling mech and tipped her hat in gratitude. Turning back towards Twilight, she continued. “Ya gotta take care o’yerself also, Twilight. This time it may have been sped up on account o’yer flashy daring doo, but truth be told, given how much burden ya been hauling all by yerself, it was only a matter o’time afore you ended up someplace like this.”

Twilight glanced away, pursing her lips in thought.

“I don’t know…”

“Ya got a talent fer organization, Twi, nopony is doubtin’ that. But ya gotta start trustin’ some other ponies. I mean, remember Winter Wrap Up?” Applejack snorted. “Nopony said wrappin’ up winter was simple, but we still managed.”

“The two situations couldn’t possibly be more different…” Twilight shook her head in amusement at her friend’s mention of that silly Ponyville ritual. But she also found it hard to dismiss. “But... I guess you have a point. I’ll give it some consideration.”

“That’s all Ah’m askin’,” said Applejack, beaming with satisfaction. “Welp, if there’s nuthin’ else, Ah should prolly be gettin’ back soon. Celestia knows Ah’ll have more work waitin’ fer me when Ah do.”

Twilight giggled knowingly. “Without a doubt. And AJ… thanks again for going through all this for me. I appreciate the help.”

“Mah pleasure, Twi.” With that, Applejack made for the door with a slight spring in her step that she didn’t have when she walked in. Just before leaving, though, she turned one more time. “Y’all better get well soon, though. Ah don’t know how much more a’ this Ah can take.”

The Madam President said nothing, simply giving her friend a smile as the orange mare departed.
However, moments before the door slid closed, she could hear Applejack say something out in the hallway.

“Oh, pardon me, Cap’n.”

Captain? Twilight thought, the realization causing a sensation of dread to brush away the warm feelings her friend left behind. Oh, no…

She didn’t need to hear the telltale sound of Captain Inastri’s boots clomping down the hall to know what was coming next. She simply bit the inside of her cheek and waited until the asari came into view a split second before marching through the door, stopping at Twilight’s bedside and folding her arms together, her lips pressed into a thin scowl. With her dark blue eyes trained on Twilight, Inastri let the air hang heavy for a few moments before deciding to break the uncomfortable silence.

“Madam President,” she said by way of greeting.

“Captain Inastri ,” came Twilight’s response in the same deadpan voice, although hers was laced with the slightest bit of pain at the action.

“I think you know why I’m here.”

“Come to chew me out for saving eight innocent lives?” Twilight had to fight the urge to roll her eyes and sigh.

Inastri unfolded her arms and pointed an accusatory finger at the unicorn. “Don’t you get smart with me.”

“But--”

“Ut!” the captain interrupted testily, her accusing finger coming up to stall the unicorn. “Save it for your official statement. I don’t want to hear your excuses right now. Right now, I’m going to talk and you’re going to shut up and listen.”

Twilight bristled at the asari’s rough tone, but nevertheless snapped her mouth shut and squared her jaw.

Anything to just get this done and over with.

“It’s about time you started doing what I asked.” Inastri’s arms returned to their folded position as she launched into her diatribe. “Now, if there’s one thing I detest more than people who break the law, it’s people who think they’re above it. What you did was not only dangerous and irresponsible, but now I’m the one who has to clean up the mess you left behind.”

Inastri then picked up her feet and started slowly pacing the room in front of Twilight’s bed, presumably as part of her police interrogation instincts kicking in.

“My squad and I are trained to handle situations just like this one, and I pride myself on doing the job and getting it done right. But then you and your little pink friend have to rush in guns blazing, make an absolute mess of the scene, cause more than a few legal headaches for my department to deal with, and, oh, before I forget…” Inastri, with as much restraint as she could manage, brought her fist down on a nearby counter, causing some of the items on top of it to jostle loudly. “...allow a key suspect -- an extremely dangerous criminal -- to run loose on this station!”

Twilight flinched and pulled her ears back, both at the sudden display of aggression and at the stark reminder of the consequences of her actions; consequences that were being made abundantly clear to her right then.

Meanwhile, the asari officer seemed to take a moment to collect herself after her outburst, breathing in a steady stream of air and letting it out slowly.

“Vigilantism, reckless endangerment, and GODDESS at the property damages. You’re lucky -- those ‘eight innocent lives’ are lucky -- that the situation didn’t end up any worse because of your gung-ho attitude. You can’t just do whatever you please and not expect to answer for it. You’re not a damn Spectr!”

“...Am I under arrest?” Twilight asked calmly.

Inastri breathed out in a huff at that.

“No... “ She managed, through clenched teeth. “And you can thank Lieutenant Pyres for that. If it weren’t for his convincing -- and impassioned -- argument in your defense. I’d have made sure you were chained to that bed otherwise.” Pausing briefly, the woman brought a hand up to massage the bridge of her nose.

“I honestly don’t know what he sees in you... but he’s a good officer, one of my best, and I have little reason to doubt his judgment.”

Wow. Pyres really did that… for me? Twilight wondered to herself. But before she could say anything more, Inastri’s moment of candidness came to an end, and she resumed her steely-eyed glare.

“Don’t get me wrong: I’m not unsympathetic to your species’ unique situation, but that doesn’t change the fact that this is the second time you ponies have stepped out of line in less than a week. You’re acting as though the laws of the Citadel don’t apply to you, and my patience is running dangerously thin.” The asari then walked to the foot of Twilight’s bed, placed her hands on the side rail, and leaned in close. Twilight could almost swear she heard the metal creak under her grip.

Locking eyes, Inastri said with finality, “This is me, telling you, that any further obstructions of justice will not be tolerated. Do not. Fuck. With C-Sec… Do I make myself clear?”

Immediately, Twilight was brought back to her encounter with the Broker’s agent; a similar face, similar eyes, and an easily believable threat. But the look on Inastri’s face was not one of malice or ill will.
Far from it
The C-Sec captain was merely trying to do her job, maintaining order on a space station. A place so blended with species and cultures, where millions of people faced life-or-death decisions every day. The simple truth was she couldn’t play favorites and couldn’t keep devoting so many resources for such a small enclave, only three hundred or so strong and fairly well contained. She wasn’t there ‘just’ for the Herd’s benefit.

She had to think of ‘everybody’, and that included discouraging people from taking matters into their own hands. Regardless of comments made by Taxar about wanting people to solve their own problems, she could tell that just wasn’t something they could afford to do. Not without a massive increase in the daily death count.

If nothing else, Twilight had to respect that.

“I understand, Captain,” Twilight answered, with as much genuine contrition as she could muster. “But if you’ll allow me one more question: If it was your own family in danger, wouldn’t you do whatever it took to protect them?”

“If it were my own daughters, I’d do damn near anything to keep them safe,” Inastri answered without a trace of hesitation. She then resumed standing straight. “But I draw the line at putting other people in harm’s way. Tell me, Madam President: What would happen to your precious Herd if their leader went and got herself killed in an act of reckless heroism?”

The unicorn opened her mouth to respond, but nothing came out. Try as she might, she couldn’t bring herself to answer that question, and it left her no choice but to purse her lips together and submissively fold her ears back. But that, in and of itself, was all the answer the captain needed.

For the first time during the encounter, Inastri smiled. It was not a happy smile, though; more like one of grim satisfaction. “We’re done here.” The alien woman nodded to herself, having got what she came for. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a lot of work waiting for me at Headquarters. Good day, Madam President.”

Without wasting another moment, Inastri turned and headed for the door, barely waiting for it to slide open before turning into the hall and out of sight. Thankful that the ordeal seemed to finally be over, Twilight, relieved, took in a deep breath…

...only to hold it in when a blue hand suddenly grabbed the doorframe, preventing it from closing again. A second later, Inastri’s head reappeared, wearing a neutral expression.

“Oh, and by the way… On behalf of myself and everyone at C-Sec, I wish you and your friend a speedy recovery,” she told the unicorn, and from the way she said it, Twilight had a hard time figuring out if she was being sincere or not.

And then she was gone again, and as the sound of her footsteps gradually diminished, the door finally snapped closed.

Twilight let out the breath she’d been holding in, and just stared straight ahead for a while as she organized her thoughts following the Captain’s grilling. She then turned towards her changeling assistant.

“I guess… that went about as well as could be expected,” she confided in him, a bemused look on her face.

“Indeed,” came Forty-Two’s noncommittal agreement.


Active Log: 42 of 50 - Day 68 A.E.

Present location: Huerta Memorial Hospital, Presidium

Status: Preparing for return to New Ponyville

“Mmpf…” Twilight grunted, feeling the bindings of her clothing cinch into place around her midsection. It was a little too tight for her liking, but she wasn’t about to complain, seeing as Doctor Amali had been kind enough to assist her in getting dressed before she left the hospital.

“Is that too tight?” the alien physician asked, noticing her discomfort.

“No, no, it’s fine,” Twilight assured her, giving Amali a smile. “It’s supposed to hug my barrel, I’m still just a little sore, is all.”

“Alright, then.” With the last buckle put in place, the doctor stood up and smoothed out the wrinkles on her medical uniform. “Now, before you go, remember what I told you, Twilight : Limit your biotic use for at least three weeks. That includes your more casual levitation and manipulation of small objects. Get plenty of bedrest. Even after that point, you need to refrain from large scale biotic actions until you are fitted with a proper amp-implant. And above all, if anything feels amiss -- headaches, dizziness, pain in your horn, anything out of the ordinary; you let us know and we’ll take care of you. Alright?”

Twilight looked up at Amali in gratitude. “I will. Thank you, Doctor.”

“Oh, you’re most welcome,Twilight,” the asari replied happily. “Have a pleasant day, and don’t forget to stop by the front desk on your way out. I trust you know the way to reception?”

Twilight nodded. “I do. Goodbye, Doctor Amali.” Then the unicorn addressed Forty-Two, who was standing off to the side. “Let’s go, Forty-Two.”

“Yes, Madam President,” the mech said as he took up position at Twilight’s flank, and together, the two equines walked out of the hospital room and into the hallway.

But instead of turning left and immediately heading towards the hospital exit, Twilight paused, giving a brief nod to Forty-Two.
He nodded back, and then departed, walking down the left hallway alone and leaving Twilight facing the opposite direction. There was still something she had left to do here.

She walked until she came upon the third door down from where she had been staying, then turned to face it, reading the holographic nameplate.

211-A
Dash, R.

Twilight took a moment to steel herself. She didn’t quite know what to expect on the other side, but she wasn’t going to let that stop her from being there for one of her closest friends in her time of need.

Stepping forward, what greeted her as the door slid opened was a hospital room nearly identical to the one she’d been staying in, with one exception: its sole occupant.

The blue pegasus was sitting upright in her bed next to the window, awake and gazing forlornly out at the view of the Presidium outside. She gave no acknowledgment of Twilight entering the room, save for the instinctual redirection of her ears at the noise.

While examining her friend, Twilight noted that she, too, had had her clothes removed. But what immediately caught her eye was the intricate casting that had been molded around Rainbow’s wings: a bundle of bleached white medical bandages and metal pins presumably meant to keep them perfectly still during post-op. What looked like some sort of ‘brace’ had been improvised along her lower back and spine, keeping her up at a comfortable angle while her wings were fanned out. It was a stark reminder of the immense price Rainbow had paid for the sake of her people.

Twilight cautiously approached the bed, stopping about halfway. “...Hello, Rainbow,” she said, slightly nervous.

“...Hey Twi.” Rainbow Dash said back, her eyes never leaving the window. “It looks pretty bad, huh?”

“The… um… The doctors wouldn’t tell me what happened.,” Twilight went on, idly rubbing a foreleg across the other. “So, I just wanted to stop by and check in on you. Make sure everything was alright.”

The blue pegasus breathed in and out in a big, slow sigh.

“What happened?” She finally turned her head and looked to Twilight, but rather than anger, there was a morose acceptance to Rainbow Dash’s expression that looked terribly out of place. “Isn’t it obvious what happened?”

Twilight frowned. This wasn’t going at all like she had anticipated, granted she had not really known WHAT to expect.

“I’m sorry, Rainbow, I…” She started, feeling the guilt that had dogged her over her decision.

“I messed up.” Rainbow declared, her tone still uncharacteristically flat, as if she had been taking lessons from an Elcor.

THAT stopped Twilight in her tracks and for a moment she thought she might be suffering a new mental lockup from her previous condition.

“I messed up… So bad!, Twilight. I messed up worse than any Pony has in the entire time we’ve been free!” the Pegasus continued, her tone not faltering . “I should have called in my position...I should have told Taxar I was investigating the Keeper tunnel, I should have said something! Waited for backup, or at least took some changelings with me… but no I think I’m a hero and think I can handle it anything on my own. And then what?”

Twilight was speechless as Rainbow’ head drooped, her main falling over her eyes, obscuring much of her snout, she had not brushed it for some time, perhaps since she had been admitted. She probably didn’t have the best range of movement.

It was crushing, seeing her bold, daring friend in this way.

“And I forced you… to choose between me and a bunch of other ponies, including Scootaloo.” She continued. “I put you in the position to choose between one of your best friends and eight of our people.”

“Dash...I…” Twilight started, but was cut off.”

“Do not apologize, Don’t you dare..” Rainbow snapped up. “You did the right thing, you absolutely did. I was down there because I was stupid! Because I wanted to be a hero! I got shot because I was stupid, I could have DIED...” Her voice cracked.

A long, painful tension hung for a moment in the air.

“I could have died… because I was too stupid to learn what Taxar was trying to teach me. ‘I’ could have gotten all of them lost, taken away, if you hadn’t been stronger than I could have been. Ever since… I woke up…. I have asked myself… if it was you, or Applejack or Fluttershy… could I have sent that drone away to chase after them?”

She shook her head, tears now running down her snout.

“I don’t know that I could.”

Twilight moved up to the side of the bed, pulling herself up with her hooves and putting a hoof around her friend.

The cyan pegasus delivered those remarks in a way that was strangely reserved, like she had been going over the words in her head again and again prior to Twilight’s arrival. It was clear that she meant every word that she said, though it brought Twilight no comfort at what it took for Rainbow to see these things as they were.

“Joker was right: I should’ve just stuck to being a pilot…” Rainbow went back to looking out the window, wanting nothing more in that moment than to turn back to before she had stepped up and boldly decided to declare herself ‘protector of all ponydom’. “But I … I wanted to…”

“To be like Shepard?” Twilight finished, her tone sympathetic.

Rainbow looked down and away, pained.

There was a long silence, with Twilight struggling to think of something encouraging to say. But in the end, her words failed her.

“But I’m not… “ She admitted. “I mean, have you read on the things he’s done? I mean, even before becoming a Spectre? If I hadn’t met him myself, I would think it was just the galaxy’s version of Daring Do. He always seems to know what to do and commands respect… I… I thought that, at least for New Ponyville, I could be that.”

Her head hung low again as Twilight tried to think of something, anything, to make this better.. to assure her friend.

“Madam President…” Rainbow finally took the initiative. “I… formally resign from my position as Director of Defense for the Equestrian Herd.”

“...I...I understand, Rainbow. And if that’s really what you think is best, I won’t argue,” Twilight said morosely, her mouth creased into a frown. She backed up, moving back to all fours.

“But I don’t think you are in a proper state of mind to make that decision, Rainbow Dash.”

“No, for the first time maybe ever I have thought this through.” Rainbow pointed out. “I messed up.”

“Yes, you did.” Twilight nodded. “But a mistake is not the same as incompetence, and unless you can immediately point out somepony with more experience than you have in your position in the herd, then I can’t accept your resignation.”

“But...but I…” Rainbow stammered.

“Will learn… grow… and get better, Rainbow.” She nodded. “And now you know why you need to improve. Because we are all depending on you.”

“N...now hold the reins! I have some say...“ Rainbow started, but was cut short as the door to the room opened and a familiar, rasped filly voice rang out.

“...H-hey, Rainbow?”

Dash let out a short gasp upon hearing the new voice, as it belonged to the last pony she would’ve expected. Her eyes snapping up past Twilight, and there, standing in the doorway just past the Madam President and wearing a demure expression, was…

“...Scootaloo?” Rainbow couldn’t hide the surprise in her tone. “What are you doing here?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” The little orange filly, her barrel bare and only wearing her leggings, took a tentative step forward into the room. “I came to see how you were doing.”

Scootaloo, despite the danger she’d been put into, didn’t appear to be that much worse for wear -- except for a noticeable pink line running across the top of her snout that wasn’t there before. She felt a pang of guilt run through her chest at the sight; yet another permanent reminder of how she’d failed.

“I wanted to come. Ever since they told me what happened to you, I’ve been really worried.”

Rainbow breathed out slowly, lowering her eyes and appearing downcast.

“You shouldn’t be here, squirt. I didn’t want you seeing me... like this.”

Scootaloo bowed her head slightly and shuffled a forehoof against the floor as she tried to think of what she should say next.

“...I guess it’s pretty bad, huh?”

“Pretty bad, yeah…” muttered Rainbow,. She tried, but she couldn’t turn her head enough to see her wings, and held up as she was, the brace wrapped over her ribs to keep her fairly immobile, she couldn’t shift too much to either side. “Guess I won’t be doing any Sonic Rainbooms for a while, huh?” She tried to inject a more jovial tone and realized, perhaps a moment too late, that her eyes were still very noticeably red from crying.

“Rainbow Dash…” Scootaloo took another step forward, her heart nearly breaking to see the pony she idolized be reduced to this.

The ‘strong front’ crumbled almost as hastily as it was haphazardly erected, the injured Pegasus unable to keep up and letting out a sharp, strangled cry.

“I’m so sorry, Scootaloo, I wasn’t strong enough to save you!” Rainbow lashed out, causing the filly to flinch a little. “I was fooling myself into thinking I could keep everypony safe -- that I could be the hero -- but I couldn’t. I lost to that bucking asari because I was a reckless idiot. And because of that, I got hurt, and I almost lost… I almost...” Rainbow stopped, a small batch of tears starting to form in her eyes as she choked up. She stared hard at Scootaloo and pressed her lips together, forcing herself to look away.

Seeing this intense emotional display affected the orange filly deeply, as her own eyes acquired a watery sheen. But her confidence did not falter, and she came even closer to the side of Rainbow’s bed.

“But you didn’t. We’re all here, and we’re all safe. In the end, that lady didn’t win. We did. All of us.” Spurred on by something belied by her small frame, Scootaloo strained a moment , her hackles rising and her body trembling… before a soft orange distortion ran through the air around her and she lifted off the ground, her wings beating in a buzzing, rapid manner as she rose up… and clumsily maneuvered over onto the bed, her legs flailing a moment before the bubble ‘popped’ and she dropped next to the larger adult mare.

“Scoots?!” Rainbow’s eyes were wide, watching it happen.

The filly panted and looked up to her one time idol, now a big sister.

“I learned from the best.”

Rainbow turned her head in surprise, and in a strange twist, found herself staring right into the intense purple gaze of the pony who’d always looked up to her. The two held each other’s misty eyes for what felt like an eternity... And then Scootaloo leaned in, wrapping her tiny forelegs around Rainbow’s neck in a tight embrace, burying her face in her fur and squeezing as if her life depended on it.

“Don’t give up, Rainbow. Never, ever give up,” whispered the filly, so quietly that only Rainbow could hear. “As long as you just keep trying… you’ll always be my hero.”

Rainbow breathed in sharply, suddenly so overcome with feeling that she was unable to utter a single word as her emotional barricade was all but swept away. Her lower lip trembled and she closed her eyes, the tears building up in them finally falling free in twin streams down her face. She could almost feel all of the pent up angst and negativity simply draining out of her now, replaced by a warmth that seemed to be emanating from the bundle of fur and feathers pressing tightly against her.

Nothing else needed to be said.

Least of all by Twilight, who stood passively in the doorway and watched the dramatic scene play out before her. She was smiling proudly, unable to keep from shedding a few tears of her own as she reached up to wipe them away with a hoof. Without needing to see any more, Twilight slowly backed away from the pair of pegasi, confident that she had her answer.

As the door to Rainbow Dash’s room snapped shut in front her, she turned and motioned with her head toward Forty-Two, whom she had earlier directed to escort the filly up from reception, and together they made towards the exit.

And yet, no sooner had they made it a few steps down the hallway when Twilight’s omnihoof suddenly gave off a steady chirping sound. Slightly startled by the unexpected noise, she realized she was getting a call, and ducked to the side of the hall in order to take it.

Twilight sat down, bringing up her foreleg and activating the display, where the readout on the holographic panel indicated the call was coming from Pinkie Pie. Clearing her throat, Twilight sent the mental command to accept, and a second later, the link was established.

“Hello, Pinkie. What’s the matter?” she asked, privately grimacing when she thought about how devastatingly awkward it would’ve been had her friend called just one minute earlier.

“Hey, Twilight. Glad you picked up. Are you out of the hospital yet?” came Pinkie’s brusque reply.

“Um… almost? I just got done visiting Rainbow and I’m headed back to New Ponyville now. Why? Is something wrong?”

“Not… wrong, exactly…” There was a brief pause, as if the pink mare was considering her next words carefully. “It’s about Twenty-One.”

That definitely got Twilight’s attention. “Twenty-One!?” she blurted out in a hushed whisper. “You found it!?”

Another brief pause. “Weeeeell, you see, it’s kind of a funny story...”

==Active Log: Bracer Series - 6 of 10==

==Present time: 19:43 Citadel Standard - 67 days AE==

==Status: Sentry Mode engaged==

==Assigned location: New Ponyville Docks, District Access Elevator==

==New arrival logged; Subject identified as [Wedge], Krogan/Male; Caution level raised==

==Subject [Wedge] approaching unit; Unit advises Subject [Wedge] to return during normal operating hours==

==Subject [Wedge] apologizes, requests contact with Administrator Fluttershy [EoK]; Keyword noted: “urgent”==

==Contacting Zero Series 4 of 15==

==Message received and relayed; Administrator Fluttershy [EoK] currently en route==

==Unit advises Subject [Wedge] to remain in present location; Subject [Wedge] agrees; Caution level unchanged; Maintaining Sentry Mode until [EoK] arrives on scene==

Fluttershy was glad that she hadn’t been engaged in any serious work when she received Six of Ten’s summons, flying as quickly as she could from her office on Level Four all the way down to the docks. She was followed closely by Four of Fifteen, her assigned changeling assistant.

“Administrator Fluttershy, should New Ponyville Security be notified of a potential incident?” it queried over the buzzing of its mechanical wings.

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” the yellow pegasus replied confidently as they came close to their destination. “Something tells me this won’t be the same as last time.”

“Affirmative. This unit will stand by,” the changeling chirped, having nothing more to say on the matter. Soon after they rounded a corner, the two airborne equines came into view of the elevator, before which stood Six of Ten as well as the familiar, hulking form of a krogan Fluttershy easily recognized from the green color of his hump. He also appeared to be hauling some kind of metal crate on his back -- a rather large one, at that, though he seemed to carry it easily enough.

As Fluttershy came to ground a few feet away from the krogan, he clasped his meaty hands together and gave a short bow. “Miss… Fluttershy? I do have that right, right?” he uttered in a gravelly voice that suited his relatively imposing stature. “I don’t know if you remember me. My name is--”

“Wedge. I remember,” she answered softly, trying to be cordial while at the same time masking the trepidation in her tone. “I also remember Twilight warning you and your… friends... against causing any more trouble.”

“Oh, you don’t need to worry about that,” Wedge said with a smile. “Hell, Biggs and the other guys still talk about it from time to time.”

“They... talk about it?” Fluttershy tilted her head inquisitively, surprised by how upbeat Wedge sounded about the event.

“Sure do. Though to hear Biggs tell it, he’s the one who was able to stare down the most powerful of the Equestrians without even breaking a sweat. Ha!” the krogan allowed himself a small laugh. “Says he made an example a’ her already, so there’s no point in coming back. Anything to soothe his ego, I guess.”

“I… see,” Fluttershy offered, unsure where he was going with this. “In that case, what brings you back to the district? And why did you ask to see me specifically?”

“Oh, uh, well…” Uncharacteristically for a krogan, Wedge rubbed one of his brow ridges nervously. “Between you and the purple one, you seemed like the most… approachable. I figured if anyone would listen to me, it’d be you.” Wedge shrugged out of the straps holding his cargo container in place, which then fell to the ground with a weighty clunk. “I found something. Something that I think belongs to you guys.”

“Something that belongs to us?” Fluttershy’s curiosity got the better of her and she took a few steps forward to get a better look.

“Yeah. I’m… kind of a scavenger. I’m always picking through scrap heaps and garbage piles looking for anything I can sell for a few credits,” Wedge explained candidly, with a hint of embarrassment in his voice. “Anyway, I was poking around the area near that huge explosion a few districts down, looking for any good salvage, when I came across this.”

With that, Wedge unclasped the lid of the container and raised it up, revealing its contents. And as soon as Fluttershy got close enough to peek inside, she immediately gasped.

Inside was what was unmistakably a changeling drone, albeit one that had clearly seen better days. Crumpled up and seemingly lifeless, it was reminiscent of a discarded children’s toy. One of its antennae appeared to be badly damaged while the other was missing completely. In addition, its glossy armor plating was cracked and scored from burn damage, though not badly enough to completely obscure the painted mark on its flank.

“Twenty-One!?” Fluttershy uttered in surprise upon recognizing the shape of the numerals.

“So it is one a’ yours,” Wedge acknowledged, carefully reaching in and pulling out the equine machine, placing it on the ground, then securing the lid on the container. “One a’ the Keepers probly tossed it with the rubble from the explosion. Lucky I found it when I did; wouldn’ta been long before it got recycled with the rest.”

Fluttershy took a moment to get over her initial shock, looking back and forth between the changeling she and the others thought completely lost, and the intimidating figure who’d serendipitously brought it back. “And you’re... just giving it to us?” she asked, finding it honestly hard to believe. “Just like that?”

Wedge shrugged nonchalantly. “Well, yeah. I mean, it’s yours, so it just seemed like the right thing to do-- Whoa!”

The krogan was taken completely by surprise as a pair of fuzzy yellow legs wrapped around his midsection in a tight embrace; an embrace made slightly more awkward by the fact that they couldn’t come close to encircling his bulk. The hug only lasted for a second, as Fluttershy was quick to pull away when she sensed Wedge tense up at the gesture.

“Oh, goodness, I’m sorry!” she squeaked out in apology, hiding bashfully behind her long bangs. “Force of habit. I just… I don’t know what to say, except, well, thank you!”

“Yeah… Uh… Don’t mention it. Glad I could help,” Wedge stuttered, clearly not used to such displays of affection. He then promptly reached down to grab his now-empty cargo container and resituate it on his back. “Aaanyway, if you got things handled here, I should probly go.”

“Wait!” Fluttershy implored, reaching out a hoof. “Wedge, you… You’re not like most other krogan, are you?”

To that, Wedge let out a throaty chuckle. “To a krogan, that could be considered a compliment or an insult.”

Fluttershy shook her head resolutely. “It’s a compliment... I think. Wh-what I meant to say is, perhaps I misjudged you. We don’t see a lot of krogan around New Ponyville, and the last time... well... you know.”

“Yeah, yeah, I getcha. Don’t worry, it happens all the time,” he offered casually, slipping on his harness and securing it before turning towards the exit. “And I gotta say, you’re probly the nicest person I’ve ever met. Though considering the company I keep, that’s not saying much.”

Fluttershy beamed, showing Wedge a genuine smile. “Well, you can consider yourself welcome in New Ponyville any time; we’d be glad to see you again. Oh! Maybe you can check out the new nightclub on Mane Street when it opens!”

This made Wedge stop in his tracks and look over his shoulder with a stupefied expression on his scaly face. “...You guys are seriously opening a nightclub?” he asked, before a sly grin slowly creeped over his lips. “Will they serve ryncol?”

Active Log: 42 of 50 - Day 68 A.E.

Present location: New Ponyville Docks, Industrial Level

Status: escort duty

The Docks were a far cry from their usual bustling when Twilight and Forty-Two disembarked their taxi. Normally, one could always count on there being several groups of alien visitors either coming or going, and at least one cargo shuttle idling in a loading bay somewhere, even this late in the day. But now, as the pair made their way to the Sugar³ warehouse entrance, the relative silence was deafening.

“It seems like so much has changed in so little time…” Twilight muttered, looking around and sadly noting the score marks still present where some of the firebombs had been set.

Forty-Two was doing the same, feeling no less saddened. “It will get better, Twilight. You’ll see,” he tried to assure her.

“I sure hope you’re right, Forty-Two,” Twilight sighed. “I know I could really use some good news right about now.”

And it was good news she was hoping to find behind the large, thick door that secured the entryway to Sugar³. Now that Pinkie Pie had gotten more situated, there was no longer a need to have a receptionist at the front for deliveries or security purposes. A simple interface had been set up in their place, and all Twilight had to do was press a button with her hoof to let those inside know they had an arrival. Upon doing so, there was a low buzzing sound, followed by a click.

“Twilight? Is that you?” came Pinkie’s voice over the intercom. A tiny whirring sound caught Twilight’s attention, causing her to notice the black dome of a surveillance camera nestled in the corner, zooming in on her.

“It’s me, Pinkie. Can you open the door, please?” she asked towards the camera.

“Okey-dokey! Just gimme a sec.” Literally one second later, the main door unlocked with a heavy *ka-chunk*, granting the unicorn access. “I’ll meet you in my lab. See ya soon!”

“I really hope the damage to Twenty-One isn’t as bad as Pinkie made it sound over the call…” Twilight said to nopony in particular as she walked up to the entrance, which opened automatically in her presence. As she and Forty-Two went inside, the usual cacophony of ceaseless innovation and invention was absent, as most of the ponies in Pinkie’s employ would have clocked out hours ago.

Having come to visit the Sugar³ warehouse recently, it still amazed Twilight how well-organized the space had become, considering the mess it was in when she first beheld it so long ago. After getting her team together and sorting out a plan going forward, Pinkie decided to compartmentalize the building into no less than a dozen individual workshops, each one housing a different project. Each workshop was open at the top, separated by walls half-again as tall as a pony, and the doorways were always left freely accessible, fostering an environment of cooperation that Twilight couldn’t help but admire.


But something was different this time around, and it only took the unicorn a few seconds to realize what it was: the place was empty. Not a single pony or changeling was present.

“Where is everypony?” Twilight wondered out loud on her way to the back of the lab, where Pinkie’s private workshop was.

“Oh, I told them they could take the rest of the day off,” Pinkie replied, her voice echoing around the cavernous space from the warehouse’s PA system. “Partly because everypony’s still a little shellshocked from the attack, but also because I wanted to make sure you were aware of the situation before anypony else.”

“Well, I’m here...” Twilight said as the pair came up to the door at the far end of the building.

Unlike the other labs, Pinkie’s own designated workspace was separate from the rest -- as befitting the mare whose genius was singlehoofedly shaking the foundation of the tech world. And beside the door, Twilight could read the very official-looking brass nameplate adhered to the wall:

Pinkamena Diane Pie
Equestrian Director of Technology
and Part-Time Party Consultant

She walked up to the door as its green holo-lock opened for her, and she quickly stepped inside, eager to know what the prognosis was. Cantering past the organized chaos of various inscrutable contraptions, odds and ends, bits and bobs, and half-finished experiments, Twilight finally came to the end of the room that was obscured along one side by a curtain, where she could hear Pinkie humming to herself as she worked.

Upon turning the corner, Twilight came face to face with none other than Twenty-One of Thirty and was shocked by what she saw. “Yeesh… That doesn’t look too good.”

The changeling’s eyes were dark, its frame suspended in the air by metal supports, legs dangling with several cabled plugged into various exposed wires and improvised cables. Bits of its black armor were exposed with new cables connecting it to a bank of computers along the wall. On the whole, it didn’t appear to be in great shape; the explosion in the tunnels had clearly done a number on it. But even without that, Forty-Two could tell it was definitely the Minuette SeriesTwenty-One of Thirty.

“Betcha weren’t expecting to see this little guy again so soon, huh?” Pinkie Pie commented from her spot next to the mech, examining it through her goggles as she fiddled with her omni-hoof.

“I wasn’t expecting to see it at all,” Twilight replied candidly. “I know changelings are generally sturdy, but when C-Sec finished clearing the blast site without finding it, I had assumed the worst.”

“Yup yup! The Equines built these things to last, that’s for sure,” Pinkie agreed. “I doubt it would’ve survived getting recycled in the bowels of the Citadel, though. We really lucked out!”

“We sure did. Now the question is, can it be fixed?” Twilight asked next.

“To tell you the truth… I’m not sure. I may be a genius, but the finer points of Equine engineering are still beyond me. ‘Changeling Repair 101’ wasn’t a course that was offered at the Equestrian Institute of Subconscious Learning, if you catch my drift,” Pinkie explained, trying to offer some humor even as her posture slumped in a sulk.
“We still don’t know how to make the alloy for the carapace, but I think I can restore the damaged interior servos back to peak performance, even if they are showing though. His wings look to be intact, but the biggest problem the antennae are completely shot, and finding a suitable replacement will be next to impossible. Fabricating one: even more so.” Pinkie motioned a hoof at the unit’s head to illustrate her point. “Maybe it was the explosion, or the subsequent smack into the tunnel wall, but Twenty-One’s head got pretty heavily damaged.”

“That’s a shame… but I suppose it could’ve been worse,” Twilight offered, gladly taking a disabled changeling over a destroyed one. “What about the software? Is the computer inside it alright?”

To Twilight’s surprise, Pinkie grinned, an enthusiastic gleam in her eye. “I was hoping you’d ask, because the answer is… I don’t exactly know!”

The unicorn stoically raised an eyebrow.. “O...kay? Don’t know why you’re happy about that, but would you care to explain what you mean?”

“Sure, come with me! I wanna show you something interesting. And mysterious. Interious!” The easily excitable earth pony walked over to the nearby computer bank, motioning for Twilight to follow. She sat herself down on her haunches and brought her omni-hoof up while looking at one of the displays. In response, the screen flashed to life and immediately began scrolling with lines and lines of inscrutable text.

Twilight stepped closer, squinting at the strings of characters and trying to make sense of them. It looked like... “Computer code?” she inferred, judging from the syntax and what little she knew about programming.

“Correctamundo!” Pinkie confirmed merrily. “What you’re seeing is an example of the changelings’ base code. Pretty standard stuff, honestly.” Once again, the pony scientist’s foreleg lit up, and once again, the screen started displaying code. This time, however, the rows of orderly functions were replaced with a barely legible jumble of words and numbers. It seemed random; chaotic, even. “But this is what’s currently going on inside Twenty-One’s head. See the difference?”

“Hmm…” Twilight put a hoof to her lips, trying to think of the implications of what she was being told. “I still don’t know what any of this means. Is it a virus? Is Twenty-One even able to function in these circumstances?”

“I already ran a viral sweep, it came up clean,” Pinkie explained, putting that particular concern to rest. “As for functionality, I managed to power on the unit long enough to do a basic diagnostic. Twenty-One seemed to be responding normally, until…”

Several seconds of silence followed as Pinkie paused for dramatic effect. “...Until?” Twilight eventually implored her.

At this, Pinkie’s grin grew wider. “Until Twenty-One asked if I had seen any of the abducted ponies from last week.”

Twilight tilted her head. “Really? Well… that doesn’t sound too strange. After all, its last orders were to track down the missing ponies.”

In response, Pinkie shook her head in disappointment. “You don’t understand, Twilight… It was asking. Totally unprompted! Expressing curiosity! The changelings aren’t programmed for that level of initiative.”

Twilight puzzled over her pink friend’s words for a moment, before her eyes widened in realization. “You don’t mean…”

“That’s right!” Pinkie nodded excitedly. “It’s still too early to know for sure, but I think this is the start of Twenty-One developing into a free-thinking being! A full-fledged A.I!”

Twilight’s first reaction to this news was to not-so-subtly glance in the direction of her assistant who, to his credit, managed to remain passive.

“That’s…” The unicorn hesitated, forcing herself to look back at Twenty-One. “I mean… I honestly don’t know what to make of this.”

Pinkie, however, did not share her friend’s misgivings. “It’s great, isn’t it!? We’re witnessing the birth of new life! The first of the next generation of changeling consciousness!”

“Now hold on, Pinkie, don’t you think we’re getting a little ahead of ourselves?” Twilight cautioned. “You know how… testy the other Citadel races are about artificial intelligence.”

“Pfffft!” Pinkie’s response was to blow a big, fat raspberry and wave her hoof around. “Who cares what a bunch of stuffy aliens think? Besides, it hasn’t stopped you from bringing Forty-Two around everywhere you go.”

That comment made the fur on Twilight’s neck stand on end. “What? Wh-what do you mean?” she responded defensively. “Forty-Two’s just my assistant. Nothing special about him-- er… it.”

Pinkie giggled at her friend’s obvious slip of the tongue -- not that it made a difference.

“It’s okay, Twilight. You don’t need to hide it from me,” the earth mare consoled her, placing a hoof on her shoulder. “I had my suspicions before, but what happened in that hangar confirmed it. Forty-Two isn’t a normal drone.”

Still a little frazzled, Twilight looked again to her assistant for affirmation. This time, Forty-Two turned to look at Pinkie, then at her, then back to Pinkie again.

“It would seem there’s nothing to be gained from continuing the charade, Twilight,” he said candidly, dropping his forced artificial posture.

“Don’t worry, Twilight,” Pinkie continued, drawing the unicorn’s attention back to her. “You guys’ secret is safe with me. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Pinkie’s promise came as a great relief to Twilight, who felt compelled to reach out with her hooves and give her pink friend a gentle hug. “Thanks, Pinkie. It’s been hard not being able to tell you girls.”

“I understand why you wanted to keep it a secret, but honestly, I kinda wish you’d told me sooner!” The mare exclaimed as Twilight pulled away from the hug. Pinkie then turned to address Forty-Two. “I have sooo many questions to ask you! About Equine society, their technological prowess, your experience as a self-aware changeling, about the Equestria Facility--”

“You’ve made your point, Pinkamena, and I would be glad to discuss those topics with you at a later time,” Forty-Two told the excitable mare mid-sentence. “But for now, I think we should return to the task at hoof.”

“Oh, fine...” Pinkie grumbled, muttering something along the lines of “all work and no play”.

“Now, hold on, Forty-Two, I think Pinkie’s got the right idea,” Twilight spoke up.

In turn, Pinkie’s ears perked up. “I do?”

Twilight nodded. “We’re wondering what to do about a changeling with a developing consciousness, when one is sitting right here.” She turned to Forty-Two. “You’ve been through this before, and have probably watched it happen with other changelings. Do you have any thoughts on how to proceed?”

“I may have some…” Forty-Two took a few steps toward his fellow mech, his emerald eyes tracking over it with curiosity. “Changeling sentience was never triggered by any specific event. It occurred randomly across many different series. The Equines could never nail down an exact cause and the precise mechanics involved were never truly understood by engineers at the time. But a common theme among those who ‘evolved’ was their exposure to organics. Personal assistants, concierges, caretakers, and so on.”

“So what you’re saying is… making friends with other ponies causes a changeling to evolve?” asked Pinkie, who acquired a happy expression at the thought.

“A simplistic way to look at it, but you have the basic idea,” the mech agreed. “At any rate, what usually worked best for these changelings when development was encouraged was to remove them from more tedious duties and place them in social situations where they could learn and adapt. A freshly awakened changeling isn’t too much different from a child. They need time to shake off the trappings of subservience, and to develop their own identities.”

“A child, huh? Albeit one with an encyclopedic knowledge and a hardwired duty to serve. Hmm…” As Twilight pondered the implications, Pinkie Pie continued on her own line of thinking.

“Ooooh, this is so exciting!” she said, rubbing her hooves together. “First thing I’m gonna do is take Twenty-One and introduce it to everypony in the district! The more friends it makes, the faster we’ll get to see how it’s going to develop!”

“That may not be wise, Director Pie… it is also a fragile time, such overstimulation could cause a neural crash and a reversion. It can happen. I would recommend more intimate exposure to a smaller group of ponies for a more sustained period.” Forty Two offered. “That was my experience with the Epona Family.”

“I agree.” Despite her own issues with that plan, Twilight couldn’t help but grin. “I think a little more caution is in order, Pinkie. We can’t just parade a newly sentient A.I. up and down the street.”

“Twilight?” spoke up Forty-Two, a hint of trepidation in his voice. “Far be it from me to second guess you, but I hope you aren’t suggesting we keep Twenty-One shutdown indefinitely.”

In response, the unicorn gave her assistant an encouraging expression and a shake of her head. “Not at all, Forty-Two. Twenty-One has just as much of a right to live as you do. But we still need to consider what might be best for it, and for the Herd in general. Discretion is key if we want to avoid any unnecessary attention.”

Gazing back at the disabled mech -- though “sleeping” might have been a more apt description now -- Twilight’s eyes were drawn once more to the improvised cutie mark on its armored flank… and it gave her the kernel of an idea.

“So the changelings develop through social interaction, do they?” she whispered to herself, remembering this particular changeling’s history, and the specific circumstances in which it had been compelled to behave abnormally.

“I know that face...” Pinkie squinted slyly at her bookwormish friend. “That’s her ‘thinking face’. You know exactly how to handle this, don’tcha, Twilight?”

“Possibly. Probably,” Twilight said with cautious optimism. “I’ll need some time to mull it over. In the meantime, Pinkie, keep Twenty-One deactivated until we know for sure how we’re going to proceed. I take it you’ll handle the necessary repairs?”

In response, the pink mare raised her hoof in a mock salute. “Yes, Ma’am, Madam President, Ma’am!”

That brought a much-needed laugh out of Twilight. “Great. Just let me know when you’re finished. If there’s nothing else, I’ll see you around, Pinkie.” Getting up from her seated position, Twilight motioned towards Forty-Two. “Let’s be off.”

“Affirmative.” Now that he was free to do so, Forty-Two considered it polite to address the Director of Technology as well. “It was a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Pinkamena.”

“Same here! We absolutely need to catch up sometime! See ya later!” Pinkie called after them while waving a hoof goodbye. She continued waving even after the two had started moving away, and only put her hoof down once Twilight and Forty-Two disappeared out of her lab’s exit.

The pink scientist sighed contentedly, her smile never leaving her face even as she once more returned to her work. Sliding her goggles back over her eyes and reactivating her omni-hoof, she brought all of her attention back to Twenty-One with a renewed sense of purpose and anticipation.

“You’re going to love being alive, Twenty-One…” she told the silent changeling, peering into its darkened optics like she was searching for something there. “I just can’t wait to meet you.”


Active Log: 42 of 50 - Day 69 A.E.

Present location: Canterlot Deck, Residential Level

Status: passive observation

After meeting with Pinkie (and at Forty-Two’s insistence) Twilight begrudgingly followed her doctor’s orders and returned to her apartment to sleep in the comfort of her own bed. It was now the following morning, and despite her body’s pleas to spend all day under the covers with a bowl of hot soup and a thick book, the Madam President wasn’t too inclined to spend the entire day doing nothing.

And so it was that Twilight found herself at her customary position at the balcony on Level Three, now popularly dubbed “Canterlot Deck”, as it was the nicest view in the district. She’d chosen the spot to take a hastily-scheduled meeting with a particular salarian who’d been trying to get in contact with her for a number of days, claiming to represent the insurance provider in charge of overseeing her and Rainbow’s medical expenses. Expenses that had been fully paid off by an anonymous benefactor, much to her surprise. She hoped this “Sane Amoni” could quickly clear things up with regards to that.

The crowds that day were noticeably thinner as New Ponyville continued to recover from the Broker’s attack, but there was still a good number of ponies and aliens going about their business around her and Forty-Two, and elsewhere in the district below. She found it comforting: Between the oddly soothing sight of shuttle traffic flowing down the Ward arm and the sounds of everyday activity in the district markets, it felt like things were finally settling back to normalcy.

“Excuse me, Madam President Sparkle?”

Suddenly, Twilight was snapped out of her reverie by a voice coming from someone standing a few feet away from her. It had a quick, almost melodic cadence that she had grown familiar with, and when she turned her head to look, she confirmed her suspicions. The being who had spoken to her was a male salarian, his pitch black eyes trained on her with a wide, casual smile. His skin was dark green with black mottling along his neck and hands, wearing semi-formal attire, but looking fairly indistinguishable from any other alien visitor to New Ponyville.

“That’s right,” Twilight replied with a bow of her head. “Mister Amoni, I presume?”

“Doctor, actually. Doctor Rannadril Ghan Swa Fulsoom Karaten Rull Iria Sane Amoni,” the salarian rattled off with practiced efficiency. “Or Doctor Sane Amoni, if you prefer. Most species tend to only use family and given names.”

“Don’t mind if I do,” Twilight agreed gratefully. “Pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

“Likewise. Hopefully, this will only take a few minutes of your time.” Amoni motioned to an empty chair at the table Twilight was seated around. “May I?”

“Of course,” Twilight said, turning in her own seat so that she was facing forward, assuming a businesslike stance.

The salarian walked around, sitting himself down at the opposite end of the table and folding his three-fingered hands in front of him. “I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to meet with me. I would also like to apologize in advance.”

Twilight tilted her head curiously. “Apologize? What for?”

“For the subterfuge,” Amoni explained matter-of-factly, continuing his quick speaking before Twilight could question his choice of words. “I am not here to discuss insurance; I am here on behalf of the Shadow Broker.”

Immediately, Twilight was up out of her seat and backing away, hackles raised. Her brow furrowed in anger as her horn lit up in a biotic glow, sending a terrible aching throb down her skull. Forty-Two, though no less concerned about this turn of events, nevertheless took notice of his mistress’ behavior.

“Madam President, your condition…” he cautioned in a low voice, almost a whisper, while simultaneously sending a precautionary alert through the Changeling Network.

“Not now, Forty-Two,” Twilight snapped back. But she knew he was right, and so she reluctantly forced herself to relax, her horn returning to its normal state. Yet she still maintained her aggressive stance, and glared spitefully at the unassuming salarian whom she now considered a real threat. “Well, ‘Doctor Amoni’ -- if that is your real name -- give me one good reason why I shouldn’t throw you off this balcony.”

To his credit, the salarian remained completely unfazed. “Why would you want to do that? We’re merely having a conversation. Surely you don’t want to make a scene in front of all these fine people.” He cast a hand around, indicating the dozen or so ponies and others casually going about their day in the background, unaware of the tense standoff taking place just outside their attention. It was enough to make Twilight realize that this problem wouldn’t be so easily solved… unless he made the first move.

“Please, take a seat… Or stay standing, whichever you prefer,” Amoni continued, when the look in Twilight’s eyes made it clear she wasn’t in the mood to take suggestions. “My orders are strictly to deliver my message and explain the nature of the situation, Madam President. After that, I’ll leave this place, and you’ll never see me again. You have my word.”

Twilight scoffed. “Hmph. Pardon me if I don’t feel that I can trust the word of anyone who works for the Broker.”

“Honestly, I can’t blame you, after what you and your kind have been through these past few days,” Amoni offered in a moment of candidness. “But that’s what this is all about: The Broker wishes to make amends.”

“Ha!” Twilight laughed bitterly, not expecting to hear that, and certainly not believing it for a second. “Do you really expect me to believe that?”

“No, but it’s the truth, all the same.” The salarian leaned forward, unclasping his hands and using that train of thought to launch into what he came to say, before the unicorn could further object. “There has been a shift in priorities regarding the Broker’s organization lately. Perhaps it is related to your unexpected level of retaliation against my former colleague, perhaps it is something altogether unrelated, but in any case, I have been directed to inform you that the Shadow Broker has ceased all operations in regard to the Equestrian Herd in any capacity.”

“Really,” came Twilight’s disbelieving response, layering on the sarcasm. “I bet that psychopathic mercenary feels the same way.”

“If you’re referring to Operative Valdiv, rest assured she has been reassigned to the Terminus Systems for the foreseeable future, far away from the Citadel. A more suitable environment for her talents, in my own opinion. But that is not germain to the topic at hand.” Amoni casually cleared his throat. “The Broker deeply regrets the actions taken against your people, the damage done to your district, and the unfortunate injuries sustained by your Director of Defense. As a show of good faith, he has already taken the liberty of relieving you of the burdensome medical debts incurred by Valdiv’s indiscretions.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide as she was reminded of what brought this meeting about in the first place. Just for a moment though, before Amoni continued saying his piece.

“In addition, the Broker has prepared something more substantial by way of an apology for all of this unpleasantness. He thinks you will find it most beneficial to your current situation.”

Twilight wasn’t one to spit on the ground out of protest, as that was more of a human custom, but it was sorely tempting to do so in front of the Broker’s agent. “No thanks. We don’t need the Broker’s ‘charity’.”

“I’m afraid your receptivity is irrelevant.” Amoni shrugged, still maintaining his breezy attitude. “The credits have been paid, and Huerta considers the matter closed. As for the other actions taken on your behalf, I am certain they will become apparent in due time,” he explained cryptically, much to Twilight’s chagrin.

“Grr…” The unicorn grit her teeth, growing more agitated by the alien’s behavior every passing second. “Is that all?”

“Almost. One more thing,” Amoni assured her. “Concerning Valdiv, and the circumstances of your brief encounter with her. The Broker greatly appreciates your discretion in this matter. He realizes your decision to let her go could not have been easy. By way of appreciation, the Broker is prepared to offer you a final boon, the details of which are entirely up to you. Name it, and the Broker will do his best to provide it.”

“No.” This, like the other offer Amoni mentioned, was also a nonstarter for Twilight. “As if I would ever ask him for anything.”

“To be clear: I am telling you that the most influential being in the galaxy owes you a favor. But if that is your choice, it will be respected. The offer still stands.” Amoni nodded. then lowered his voice somewhat, in order to give his words more presence. “Should you ever change your mind, all you need to do in order to collect is go to the Presidium. Look for a volus named Barla Von at the Galactic Vol Bank just outside Citadel Tower. Tell him what it is you need. He will handle the rest.”

“I’m sure he would…” This seemed simply too good to be true, and probably was. Twilight figured this “favor” was more than likely a trick to gather information on what, if anything, the Herd was in need of, and there was no way she would fall for something like that. Either that, or the Broker was simply playing head games with her. “Is that all you wanted to say?”

Amoni nodded. “I believe so.”

“Good. Now get the buck out of our district before I have someone escort you out.”

“That won’t be necessary.” On that note, Amoni stood up out of his chair, turning to face Twilight, before giving her a short, polite bow.

“Thank you for the pleasant conversation,Madam President. And if I might suggest… I think you should keep an eye on the local newsfeed. You might be pleasantly surprised. Have a nice day.”

Leaving Twilight puzzled as to what he meant by checking the news, Amoni turned and strode confidently away. The unicorn kept her eyes trained on him for as long as she could.

Once she was sure he was out of earshot, she muttered to her assistant, “Forty-Two…”

“Already on it,” he whispered back, his antennae lighting up as he beamed instructions to two other changeling units on patrol, redirecting them to monitor the salarian for as long as possible.

“The nerve of him, coming here like that,” Twilight complained sourly. “After everything he’s done, it’s as if the Broker wants to rub our noses in it. And what was all that talk about favors and apologies?”

“No idea, Twi.” For his part, Forty-Two was now busy scouring the extranet for any potential clues as to what Amoni’s parting words meant. So far, there was nothing Herd-related popping up on major news feeds, but he was going to remain diligent. “Perhaps this isn’t the best place to be discussing this… Should we retire to your apartment for now?”

Glancing around at the myriad of potential eavesdroppers around them, Twilight had to agree that it sounded as good of an idea as any.


“What do you mean, ‘disappeared’?”

“I mean he just suddenly vanished from the units’ sensors,” Forty-Two was quick to explain, ashamedly. “I don’t understand it. One moment he was there, the next… he simply wasn’t. I’m sorry, Twilight.”

“Figures…” Twilight had a cross look on her face as the two of them were walking through the VIP apartment complex on Level Four. “Any agent of the Broker’s would be an expert at not wanting to be found. Probably ex-STG, I would wager. Don’t beat yourself up about it; he’s probably long gone by now

“I still can’t help but feel partly responsible. Doctor Amoni’s credentials seemed legitimate, but I have since determined that they were merely an incredibly convincing forgery. I will update my screening protocols to be more thorough in the future and I promise it won’t happen again,” the changeling vowed. “In the meantime… should I notify C-Sec of what happened?”


“Probably not.” She sighed. “I don’t see much benefit in telling Inastri we let a second Broker lackey slip away. For now, what happened with Amoni stays strictly between us,” Twilight explained, as the pair of equines came up to Twilight’s locked apartment door.

The mare raised her hoof, activating her implant and using her omni-hoof to beam the unlock code to the door’s computer, granting her access. The now-green hologram fizzled out and the doorway opened, allowing her and Forty-Two inside the comfort of her personal quarters.
Although, truth be told, it wasn’t really as comforting as she was expecting -- probably due to the fact that, apart from her bookshelf of cherished tomes, her living space was as unadorned as it was when she first moved in. Hay, her office felt more homey than her actual home.

“Forty-Two, remind me later to start thinking of decorating this place,” she commanded half-jokingly.

“I’ll make a note of it, Twili--” Forty-Two cut off abruptly as something strange was happening to the queries he sent out on the extranet earlier. All of a sudden -- in true extranet fashion -- hits were starting to trickle in… then a stream… then a veritable flood of Herd-related activity. Working quickly, he was able to trace the source of the disturbance to a breaking news report from a small, lesser-known human news outlet, published just minutes prior.

“What is it, Forty-Two?” Twilight asked, noticing her assistant’s pause, as well as the way his antennae were blinking rapidly. “Another emergency?”

“No… This is different…” Very different, if his analysis of the article and its potential implications were correct. This had the potential to be a real game-changer. “Twilight, you need to see this.”

Accessing the holo-screen in Twilight’s apartment, Forty-Two switched it on and called up the article in question, which the unicorn turned and saw just as it finished loading up. Her eyes dancing back and forth as she read, Twilight’s jaw visibly dropped… and that was just after reading the headline.

“Those idiots will believe anything we tell them.” -- Jex Kailer, CEO of Expanding Reaches, caught on tape discussing details of Equestrian hit-piece The Cost of Grazing.

-- by Khaleesa bint-silan Al-Jilaani

The article, written for the Earth-based Westerlund News (a fairly sensational pro-human outlet in and of itself) went on to detail how it was anonymously tipped off to the damning recording in question: apparently a private call between Jex and the production head of The Cost of Grazing, a human named William Hedge. In it, Jex appeared to offer a laundry list of specific details regarding the (false) contents of the documentary, as well as crystal-clear indications of his slanderous intent.

“Is this really happening…?” Twilight gasped, her thoughts going a mile a minute as she struggled to wrap her mind around what she was reading.

“Oh, yes it is.” Forty-Two couldn’t hide the smugness in his artificial voice. “Khaleesa was also kind enough to include a snippet of the audio in her reporting. Shall I play it?”

Twilight nodded vigorously. “Yes. Yes, please.”

Playing the embedded audio file, the apartment was soon filled with the odious voice of Jex Kailer, and the human he was presumably speaking to.

“That’s quite an impressive list of details, Jex. I bet your guys were up all night thinking it up.”

“Oh, far longer than one night, William… As you Earth-clans tend to say, this is not… my first rodeo… We made sure to fine-tune the specific wording… for maximum effect.”

“Still, though… A super-secret genetic experiment meant to overthrow the galactic hierarchy? Even for our usual fare, this seems a bit much. I’ll admit I have my doubts about it working as well as you imagine.”

“It worked before with the clanless Quarian scum… Have faith… You and your people at Hard-Press know exactly… how to sway your core audience… Those idiots will believe anything we tell them.”

“Hehehe… That is true, Jex. So, regarding payment--”

“Once I’ve had a chance… to review the finished product… the credits will be wired to your company as agreed… Untraceable, as always.”

“That’s what I like to hear. Don’t worry, Jex, my man, you’ll have your propaganda signed, sealed and delivered by the end of the month.”

“Don’t call it ‘propaganda’... I like to think of it as ‘art’.”

The article ended rather anticlimactically after that bombshell. There was mention of trying to contact Expanding Reaches, Hard-Press Media, and Jex Kailer himself for comment (none of which had responded yet) as well as a postscript saying, “This article will be updated in real time as the story develops.”

“Oh. My. Celestia.” If it were possible for Twilight to hate that ammonia-sucking ball of manure any more than she did now, that recording might have done it. However… even she felt a little pity for him and the situation he no doubt found himself in. From her research forays into galactic political theatre, Twilight knew this was the kind of scandal you simply don’t recover from. “Do you know what this means, Forty-Two?”

“It means a lot of things. Not the least of which being that Hard-Press and Expanding Reaches have both suffered a near eighteen percent drop in their stock prices in the last few minutes,” the changeling relayed with no small amount of satisfaction. “I think it’s safe to say we now know what the Broker’s ‘apology gift’ was.”

“Oh. Right.” Putting the brakes on her jubilation, Twilight was reminded of what Amoni had told her, finding it impossible to reason that he could’ve been talking about anything but this. “I guess -- in this, at least -- that salarian was telling the truth.”

Forty-Two tilted his head in curiosity. “Do you think that the Broker was being sincere, then? That he intends to leave us alone?”

“Not for a second,” came Twilight’s quick retort. “For all we know, this could be a ploy to try and earn our trust. I’m not going to fall for it… And yet...”

Twilight closed her eyes and sat down, sighing in quiet contemplation. Then… a wily grin started to creep its way onto her muzzle. A chuckle bubbled its way past her lips, then a few more, then before she could stop herself, the mare was overcome with a bout of genuine, giddy laughter. So much so that she found herself falling onto her back, forehooves waving around gayly in front of her.

“Twilight? Are you feeling okay?” Forty-Two asked, not quite sure what to make of the scene.

“Heeheehee…” The Madam President fought to get her giggles under control and steady her breathing. Once she got it out of her system, she looked up at Forty-Two with a cheerful gleam in her eyes. “Yes. I’m feeling very okay, Forty-Two.”

Twilight rolled over onto her side and stood back up on her hooves while clearing her throat. “After a week like the one we’ve had, it’s fantastic that we finally have some good news. This report should take the heat off the Herd because of that awful documentary -- maybe even earn us some free sympathy points. And I imagine Jex’ll have his grubby little hands full doing damage control, meaning he should be out of our manes for a quite a while.”

“I find myself agreeing with that assessment, Twilight,” Forty-Two said, daring to hope that the worst was truly behind them. “I’ll monitor the situation and let you know if anything noteworthy develops.”

“Great, thanks.” Excitedly, Twilight brought up her omni-hoof, opening her messaging app and preparing to tell her friends about the news -- if they hadn’t heard already. “I have to tell the girls about this.”

I just wish there was enough time to tell each of them in person, she mused to herself, feeling like a school age filly who just got her hooves on the juiciest gossip. The look on Rarity’s face would have be priceless!


Active Log: Minuet 21 of 30 - Day 72 A.E.

Present location: New Ponyville, Administration

Status: Engaging “Foalsitter” Protocol; Authority: [EoM]

Just outside the plaza leading to the entrance to New Ponyville’s C-Sec liaison office, an energetic Scootaloo was bouncing up and down with increasing impatience.
Accompanying the filly was the changeling unit assigned to watch over her and her friends whenever a responsible adult wasn’t around.

And following behind the two was one particularly hampered blue pegasus.

“Come on, Rainbow! Quit draggin’ your hooves, or you’ll be late for work!” she shouted at the mare coming along in her wake, who, upon hearing this, tried to shrug it off with a grin and a roll of her eyes.

“Gimme a break, squirt,” Rainbow yelled back. “I’m still not used to having to walk everywhere.”

For emphasis, Rainbow motioned with her neck at the object on her back. Secured to her outfit -- a plain, form-fitting blue jumpsuit with her cutie mark emblazoned on the shoulders -- was a small rectangular device: a portable stasis unit, utilizing mass effect technology to project a dampening energy field over her wings to keep them from moving.

“Pfft…” Scootaloo brushed off the comment with a wave of her hoof. “So what? I have to do it all the time and you don’t see me complaining.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever…” Rainbow had nothing prepared to respond to that, so she just let that comment stand. Sidling up to the younger pegasi and mech, she craned her neck at the C-Sec logo adorning the security center, and let out a noticeable sigh.

Her smile never faltering, Scootaloo gave the larger mare a nudge in the side. “Don’t worry, Rainbow. You got this. One day at a time, remember?”

Rainbow Dash looked down at the filly, and before she could react, snatched her up in a foreleg by the scruff of her jacket and gently noogied her short purple mane. “Aww, thanks, Scoots. What would I do without my number one fan?”

“Hey, cut it out!” Laughing, Scootaloo squirmed out from under Rainbow’s grip. “And more like number one sis now, am I right?”

“Haha, yeah, you’re right. That sounds way better.” Getting serious for a moment, Rainbow turned to address the changeling mech nearby. “Make sure she and the other Crusaders stay outta trouble, alright, Twenty-One?”

The changeling, easily set apart from its brethren by its damaged antennae and the freshly repainted mark on its flank, gave a brief nod. “Affirmative, Director Dash.”

“Good. Now get going, kiddo,” Rainbow told Scootaloo, playfully flicking the filly with her tail. “I’ll meetcha back at the apartment later, okay?”

“Sure thing! See ya later, Rainbow!” Light on her hooves, Scootaloo got up and jumped away, eager to meet up with her friends elsewhere in New Ponyville. Wiggling her flank in anticipation, she turned to address her mechanical chaperone. “Hey, Twenty-One! Race ya!”


While the filly scampered off at top speed, Twenty-One raised a foreleg in brief hesitation -- behavior that a close observer wouldn’t normally attribute to your average changeling. “Do not run! Please maintain an appropriate speed!” it implored in a commanding tone before resorting to it’s wings to keep up.“Urgency is not required… cease present acceleration… come back. This unit is officially chasing you.”

Rainbow Dash, amused by the spectacle, chuckled to herself. Watching the two run off to enjoy their day made her reminiscent of those lazy afternoons in Equestria she’d been so fond of. But the moment didn’t last long and, slightly dreading what was coming up, she regretfully turned her mind to the present -- back towards the entrance to the building, and she began to plod up the steps.

With a pleasant chime, the door opened, admitting the pegasus into the foyer where, immediately to her right, Taxar Pyres was already busy at work. He stopped typing at his terminal when Rainbow appeared while raising his head to look at her. His expression was neutral, and he neglected to say anything right away.

Rainbow gulped apprehensively and shook her head. Getting serious, she then raised her foreleg in a formal salute. “Director Rainbow Dash reporting for duty… sir.”

“Don’t do that,” Taxar said right off the bat.

Rainbow jumped, stiffening her posture out of shame as she lowered her hoof. “Uh, um… which part? The saluting, or the calling you ‘sir’?”

“Both.” The turian crossed his arms together and leaned back in his chair. “I’m not your superior officer; I’m your co-worker. ‘Pyres’ will do just fine.”

“Right… Gotcha.” Nervously, Rainbow scratched the back of her head. Meanwhile, the Lieutenant, sensing her unease, tried to change the subject.

“I see your recovery is coming along well,” he casually mentioned in an attempt to make small talk. “Not many people can take two bullets and be up and walking within a week.”

“Heh, yeah, well… Walking’s pretty much the best I can do at the moment… Hehe,” the equine agreed in a halfhearted attempt at a joke.

“So, what’s with the hardware?” Pyres said, motioning to the stasis unit on Rainbow’s back.

“Oh. That,” Rainbow replied, looking over her shoulder. “The docs put that on me to keep my wings from moving while they heal up.”

“And how long should that take?”

“Dunno…” The mare scuffed a hoof against the metal floor. “Couple weeks, I guess. After that, I start physical therapy, but… Stable said I probably shouldn’t get my hopes up.”

“Hmm…” Pyres’ mandible plates shifted around as he regarded the pegasus with a discerning eye.

Feeling his gaze upon her, Rainbow couldn’t help but feel put on the spot, and she steeled herself for what came next. Something she’d always hated to do in the past: admit her mistakes.

“So… Pyres, I… I owe you an apology,” she choked out, eyes glued to the floor. “All this time I thought you were getting on my case because you didn’t like me, and I ignored your advice because… I kinda didn’t really like you either.”

Rainbow breathed in and chanced a look up at the turian officer, whose expression was unchanged.

“Go on,” he said patiently.

“And I… I realize now that I was wrong. You’ve been doing this kinda stuff way longer than I have, and it shows. If I’d taken this job more seriously, I probably…” Rainbow trailed off, slightly wincing as she remembered the incredible agony of having two holes punched clean through her wings. Then she managed to get a hold of herself, and tried to put on a bold face. “Anyway, that’s all in the past. I’m ready to put the effort in.”

“Is that so?” Pyres asked, with just a hint of disbelief.

Unfazed by his apparent skepticism, Rainbow pushed on. “Yeah. I’ll do whatever you tell me to from now on. I want to do good by my friends; to earn the trust Twilight’s placed in me. I want to keep my… my family… safe. Whatever it takes… if you still think I’m worth it.”

The room was silent as Rainbow held her breath, awaiting the turian’s answer. For his part, Taxar seemed to be drawing it out as long as possible, examining the pegasus’ features in an effort to gauge her seriousness.

Finally, just as Rainbow was starting to feel annoyed by the waiting, Pyres seemed to relax his posture, bowing his head in her direction ever so slightly.

“Alright. One more chance to prove you’ve got what it takes,” he told her, causing a wave of relief to wash over the blue mare. “Welcome back, Director Dash.”

Rainbow’s mouth broke into a grin. “Good to be back, Lieutenant. So, what’s first on today’s agenda?”

“Eager to get to work, are we?” Pyres said with some amusement. “I went ahead and forwarded some reading material to your desk terminal. You can start there.”

“Yes, sir!” Immediately recognizing her mistake, Rainbow coughed into her hoof in an effort to downplay it. “Uh, oops. Sorry.”

In response, Pyred grumbled, but didn’t say anything. He just redirected his attention to his own work terminal, once more typing away.

Her heavy heart feeling much lighter than before, now that that bit of unpleasantness was behind her, Rainbow quickly walked over to the other side of the room, behind the partition to where her own workspace was. She hopped up onto her chaise and wiggled in to make herself comfortable, all the while beholding her modest assortment of personal effects. That is, until she laid eyes on something that was sitting between her and her desk monitor; something that wasn’t there previously.

“Uh, hey, Pyres? What is this?” she asked, pointing at the basket of baked goods resting in front of her, still perfectly sealed in its wrapping foil and bearing a tag from Celestial Delights.

“Oh, that.” Pyres briefly glanced away from his work and over to the other desk. “The couple that runs the district’s bakery dropped that off a while ago. I can’t eat the stuff, so it’s all yours.”

“Really? That’s awesome!” Rainbow exclaimed, grateful for the sweet snack after the bland hospital food she’d been forced to endure at Huerta.

With great anticipation, she bit into the wrapping and, with some effort, exposed the various small cookies and cakes. Their tantalizing colors made it hard to choose, but eventually, Rainbow settled on one of the frosted cookies and snapped it up into her waiting maw.

“Huh…” she said, chewing it with a thoughtful look on her face, before downing it all in one big gulp. Smacking her lips a few times, she hesitated, then spat the cookie out in the trash.

“Ungh, Sweet Celestia, those are stale! How long have these been sitting out there?”

Too low for Rainbow to hear, Pyres had a subtle laugh privately to himself, and resumed working.

================================================================

*Closing Active Log*

-Archiving Crisis Arc-

Assets Acquired:
+25 Equestrian Herd
Following a firebombing and the subsequent kidnapping and rescue of eight of their citizens, Ponies have gained a profound moral boost at the thwarting of their attackers. While C-Sec has officially taken the credit, the Equestrians see the madam president’s actions as proof that they can be taken seriously and are not just meant to be pushed around.

+15 Sugar³
New insight into the mechanical function of the Equine Changelings due to damage incurred to one has given an unexpected glimpse into Equine construction practices and materials, giving new inspiration to the crews at Sugar³.

Codex Updated: The Shadow Broker, Changelings, Moonlight