• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 2,607 Views, 42 Comments

That's A First - FeignedSincerity



A first kiss is supposed to be magical. In this case, it is, but Scootaloo has no idea why. Turns out nopony has had that talk with her yet, and she certainly hasn't figured it out for herself.

  • ...
3
 42
 2,607

1. The First Of Many

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day, Ms. Cheerilee!"

Cheerilee sat behind her desk, organizing a few graded tests when the combination of three tiny voices broke her from her concentration.

'Oh my, is that what day it is already?'

She redirected her nose towards the calendar, and sure enough it was Hearts and Hooves Day. 'And to whom do I owe the pleasure of this greeting?' Getting up on her hooves, she looked over the stack of papers to see exactly who she had expected. There stood three fillies, known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders to the rest of their class. "Oh, hello my little ponies. You all look excited to start the day!"

"You bet!" Apple Bloom hopped off the ground a little. Sweetie's eyes filled with light as her smile indicated that she was waiting for something.

"Sooooooo...?"

Scootaloo cocked her head slightly towards the calendar with a sly smile. Cheerilee followed her motion with her eyes, once again looking at the date.

"Yes girls, it is Hearts and Hooves Day, you may take your seats."

"Whatever you say, Ms. Cheerilee," Scootaloo said, giving a 'knowing' wink. "Whatever you say."

'Did she just wink at me? Whatever, probably just being weird.' She shook her head and pulled the pointer off of her desk with a forehoof. "Alright everypony, open up to page 263. Who would like to read for the class?"

The bell rang with the sound of freedom. Almost every filly and colt in the small school house stuffed their belongings into saddlebags and disappeared through the door. There were only three who stayed behind.

"Girls, you may go home now, class is dismissed."

"So Crusaders, what do you want to do today?"

Cheerilee began clearing the chalk board, convinced that the three would leave soon. 'Whyever do they still call themselves Cutie Mark Crusaders? I suppose if a name sticks...'

"Well Ah'd love to play with y'all today, but I can't. Ah need to help around the farm," Apple Bloom stated, or boasted rather, in an oddly loud tone of voice. It was like she wanted somepony to hear her. "On account a my brother havin' a date!"

"Yeah, It would be a shame for him to have to miss his date," Scootaloo added, laughing in a somewhat teasing manner. "I sure wonder who the lucky lady is."

Sweetie stifled a laugh, but her expression soon twisted into one of disappointment. "Apple Bloom, why didn't you tell us you couldn't play today? We had plans and everything!"

'I get the feeling they want my attention...'

"Did you girls need something?"

"Oh no Ms. Cheerilee, we wouldn't want you to be late!" Scootaloo covered her mouth with her hooves, trying to repress a fit of giggles. She then followed in Sweetie's steps and sank to an almost angry mood. "Wait a minute, yeah! Bloom, what the hay?"

"Sorry girls, Ah thought Ah told you!" The farm filly backed off a little, but recomposed herself quickly. "Anywho, Ah need to get going so that Big Macintosh can get ready!" Again with the unnecessarily loud speaking. "For his date!"

'This is getting weird...' Cheerilee once again checked the calendar, as if it held the answer. Hearts and Hooves Day. Cutie Mark Crusaders. Big Macintosh. The corner of her eye twitched as it all fell together. 'Please don't tell me they think I'm... Oh goodness!'

Apple Bloom was already gone, but Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were practically standing on the desk, staring Cheerilee dead in the eyes.

"Soooooooooooo..."

"I don't know what you're insinuating girls, but I have a lot of paperwork to go through so if you could please-"

"Paper work, or..." Scootaloo paused, forgetting entirely where she was going with this. "Um... Your date!"

"Sorry to disappoint girls, but you've got it wrong." Cheerilee began packing her own saddlebag with loose sheets of paper, hoping to dodge a bullet as quickly as possible.

"So you're not dating Big Macintosh?"

"No, I'm afraid not."

Both of the remaining crusaders harmonized in a long "Awwwww...."

"So you don't have a date then?"

"No, now I must be off to-"

"We could help you find one!"

Sweetie was dangerously close to her teacher's face, smiling as wide as her jaws would allow. "I'll bet we could find you a special somepony! We could even help set up a picnic!"

'Oh Goddesses no, anything but that!' The scholar frantically searched for an excuse, until she blurted, "I must be off to meet my date! Yes, I have a date and I must be off to meet them!"

Scootaloo shot a skeptical look to her friend, and it was returned. "I dunno, you just said you didn't have one..."

"My mind was elsewhere now I must be going to-"

Ding ding

The door bell rang as somepony walked in. 'Wait, was I expecting somepony today? Oh no, I was!' Cheerilee began sweating as her own bluff would soon make things very difficult to explain.

"I have arrived, Cheerilee! You wanted to speak to me?"

Sweetie Belle narrowed her eyes as her own sister walked into the room, looking for her teacher who had just claimed to be off on a date. "What's going on here?"

"Oh, er, hello Sweetie Belle. You run along now, your teacher and I must discuss-"

"Our date!"

The room fell silent for a full minute. Scootaloo did her best not to burst into laughter, while Sweetie continued to glare at her sister.

"Goodness, did I say that out loud?" 'Did I just say that out loud? You're trying to diffuse the potential disaster, not ignite it!'

"I dare say you did. Sweetie, run along while the adults have a nice long talk."

"Why didn't you tell me you were dating Ms. Cheerilee!"

Scootaloo was on her back at this point, withholding her breath as best as she could. Cheerilee began sidling towards the door, hoping that nopony would see her.

"And what can we even do with only two Crusaders?" Sweetie continued, seething with dejection.

"It's Hearts and Hooves Day, go be with each other!"

The bottled up laughter ended, replaced by another awkward silence.

"You mean, like..."

"A date?"

"Sure! Go have fun, the grown ups have business to take care of!"

The two filly's cheeks did an impression of Pinkie Pie that would make a changeling envious.

"I guess we could..."

"Haha, yes Sweetie, you could. Now please if you could be off?"

Completely robbed of any desire to tease their teacher, or each other, any further, the girls shuffled uncomfortable while mumbling a few things under their breath. Soon, Rarity and Cheerilee stood alone.

"Well that was awkward. You're going to have to explain to me what you were thinking."

The magenta mare sighed a long breath of relief. Somehow, that little exchange was preferable to most of the other outcomes.

"Well, we have much to discuss... Are you free for lunch?"

The two looked at everything except for each other. Rarity found that, at this very moment, a long streamer of numbers really tied the room together.

"Are you asking me on..." she paused to narrow her eyes, envisioning a camera closing in on her. "A date?"

"Am I?"

Their eyes met, and sparks flew. Yes, it had to be... No, it wasn't love. They kind of wanted to expel the other from existence right then.

"I'm free for dinner..." Rarity scowled, baring her teeth just a little. Cheerilee stood her ground vehemently.

"I'll pick you up at 6."

All at once, they both dropped the act and burst into raucous laughter. Cheerilee fell to the floor as a single tear formed in her eye. "Ahaha! Oh Celestia that was good!"

"Oh yes, that was simply perfect!" Rarity took a deep breath to compose herself. "And to think my sister thought we were actually... Oh this is just too delightful, I can not wait to hear all about... her..." She paused, realizing what she was even about to say. "Her date with Scootaloo? Oh dear..."

"I'm booooooooored!" Sweetie rolled around on the floor in hopes of finding something to do down there. Back in the clubhouse, it had taken a few moments to quell the looming awkwardness that had overtaken them back at the school house. "Crusading is no fun without all three of us!"

"Well, it's not really crusading anymore," Scootaloo corrected, gesturing a forehoof towards the butterfly on her own flank. "I mean, shouldn't we come up with a new name?"

"No! I like being a crusader!" Sweetie crossed her legs in front of her and pouted. Scootaloo produced a teasing giggle at the sight of her friend being so stubborn.

"Yeah, yeah, I do too. Anyway," she changed the subject, just as bored in the inside as Sweetie was on the outside. "What do we actually do with our day?"

"Hmmm..." The little white unicorn thought for a second, running a few possibilities through her head. "Well, maybe we should take Cheerilee's advice?"

"You mean go on a date? Ick!" Scootaloo stuck out her tongue and pointed a hoof at it, indicating exactly what she thought of that plan. "Come on, Sweetie, are you really still stuck on that?"

Sweetie looked out the window, noting that the sky was somehow even more perfect than normal. "Seriously! I mean, not that I want to date you, but it's something to do! Besides, isn't our group supposed to be all about trying new things?"

The usually more adventurous of the two sat silently for a second. On one hoof, dating one of her two closest friends would be just about as weird as it gets. Not to mention, what would happen if Apple Bloom thought it was weird and stopped being their friend? 'Or worse... What if Apple Bloom got jealous? Wait, why would she even..? Scratch that thought...' But on the other hoof, Sweetie did say it was just to try it, not anything serious. And, as anypony in Scootaloo's position would have to admit, Sweetie was certainly becoming quite the looker. It had only been two years since the incident with Cheerilee and Big Mac, and Sweetie was looking more and more like her sister every day.

"Scootaloo? Is something wrong?"

'Nah, I'm good... Wait, I need to say that out loud'

"Sure, a date then!" To Sweetie's surprise, Scootaloo came out of her daze with the very last thing that she expected her friend to say.

"Oh... Oh wow okay, so we'll go on a date then!"

'Did I just... Okay, this is so unrainbow. What the hay, mouth? Who gave you permission to make decisions like that?' The inner conflict continued, as her eyes wandered to her friend turned date with scrutiny. The light reflected off of her stark white coat just right to accentuate every curve of her body. 'Ah crap, don't tell me you're in on this too eyes! Fine, but that's two out of five and I ain't giving in that easy!'

"So, picnic on the hill, darling?" Sweetie teased in a low voice, almost mimicking Rarity. Scootaloo's wings popped from their closed position ever so slightly as her ears twitched.

'Ears, you rogue! Fine, three out of five. Touch and taste, do not let me down!'

The hill was a pretty nice spot. It was rather well known as the preferred picnic spot for the elements of harmony, and for good reason. The view of the town from up there was breath taking, and the clouds always parted just right overhead. Scootaloo made a mental note to thank that very spot for making it easy to focus on something other than her date. Sweetie had laid down a checkered blanket and sat on it, inviting the flustered pegasus to join her.

"This spot's really comfy! Aren't you gonna sit down?"

Scootaloo stood over by a tree, checking the perimeter for anypony who might see her. Being the designated day for pony love, that particular area was well populated with couples. Fortunately, they all seemed to be fixated on each other, so nothing to worry about too much.

"It's hardly a date if you don't sit with me!"

Satisfied that she wouldn't have to explain anything to anyone later, Scootaloo appeared from behind her tree and made her way to the blanket. 'She's right, this spot is really nice... I guess sitting next to her couldn't hurt.' With that thought, she plopped her behind down next to her friend, paying undivided attention to the large cloud shaped like a heart floating above them. 'Probably from Cloudsdale, nothing weird about that...'

"So, what do we do on a date?" Sweetie shifted a little, and Scootaloo felt a familiar warmth on her side. Glancing to the side, she noticed that her companion had found it appropriate to scoot closer. In retaliation, Scoots shifted away about an inch.

"Heck if I know, I figured you knew." Sweetie closed the distance once again, continuing to make Scootaloo as uncomfortable as possible. "I mean, this is supposed to be for fun right? Totally casual?"

"Yup!" There was that smile, that innocent smile that Sweetie used when she legitimately had no idea what was going on. 'Oh Celestia that smile is adorable. That's not fair!' Another discrete attempt at getting away left Scootaloo at the very edge of their blanket. A few blades of grass tickled at her flank, sending a shiver through her spine. 'This is getting weird fast.'

"Hey, Sweetie Belle?"

"Yes, Scootaloo?"

"Why are you sitting so close to me?"

The sound of another couple throwing unbearable pet names back and forth just barely reached the two fillies' ears, but not much else could be heard. The wind whistled through the grass while Scootaloo let her eyes wander. Within inches, Sweetie sat there, smiling away as if nothing was weird about any of this. Her cheeks bulged at the corners of her mouth, accentuating the dimples in her round little face. 'Is this happening? Am I really thinking that my best friend is adorable and it feels normal? Let's look at something else, how about that.'

Looking around that little white distraction, Scootaloo found herself staring at another couple. It was a mare and a stallion, holding each other's hooves and staring longingly into each other's eyes. Averting her gaze, she caught sight of the very end of a passionate kiss, leading to a loving embrace. All around them, there were ponies partaking in the holiday, and there she sat with her best friend, who seemed dead set on having a proper date.

"Scootaloo?"

"Yes, Sweetie?"

"Can I hold your hoof?"

'What?! No!' She subconsciously protested, but once again her senses betrayed her. "Sure..." she muttered as her cheeks felt like they would melt off. A soft, perfectly trimmed and pampered hoof reached down and took hold of her own.

The two sat there, silently, watching leaves blow by in the wind. 'Okay, okay, touch I can see your point. This isn't so bad... Taste, it's just you and me buddy, we got this!' If her heart had wings, it would probably be learning to fly right about now. Each beat felt solid in her throat as she gave explicit attention to how incredible Sweetie felt against her side. Her coat was light, almost fluffy, and her body felt soft to the rough and sinewy pegasus. 'Wait... Her body? When did she...?'

While Scootaloo had been lost in thought, the determined unicorn had rested against her side and laid her head on a lonely orange shoulder. Sweetie had to admit, Scootaloo's coarse fur and sleek body were comforting. She felt like she could fall asleep right then and there.

"So is this a date? Because if so we can be done now, right?" Scootaloo squirmed under the weight of her bundle, trying to decide if she was more uncomfortable with the situation or her feelings about the situation. Sweat dripped down her forehead as she felt her body temperature rising.

"Nope, we haven't finished our date yet." Sweetie's voice sounded a little too comfortable, like she was content to lay there forever. This only gave Scoots more reason to worry.

"Haven't f-finished? What else do we do on a date?"

The air around them seemed to fall dead as time slowed. Sweetie turned her muzzle up to look at her acting guardian, eyes half lidded and mouth turned up in a tired smile. Scootaloo watched in horror as her face got closer, and she swore she could smell buttercups on Sweetie's breath. 'This is bad, this is terribly awfully bad. Stop there Sweetie Belle, go no further!'

It was too late. Before she could render another thought, Scootaloo felt a pressure on her lips that wiped her brain clean. Without permission, her eyes rolled back into her head and she fought to regain control of her senses. 'Oh crap this is bad. Breath Scootaloo, breathe and you'll just... How soft are her lips? Holy cow!' Once again, her thoughts were intercepted by the sensation of the softest lips she's ever felt pressed against her own. That wasn't saying much of course, they were the only lips she'd ever felt on her own, but as firsts go this one was pretty damn good.

Sweetie pressed harder, leaning almost every pound of her weight against the pegasus holding her in her hooves. That was yet another unknown to Scoots, who hadn't realized that she had wrapped her hooves around the little marshmallow.

'Okay, this isn't terrible, just break it and it will be fi-what is that?' She felt her lips being drawn apart as they moved with Sweetie's, as if they had a mind of their own. 'Oh don't you do this to me! Taste, you are my last hope, hold strong!' The two sat in that embrace for what seemed like an eternity. Outside of their current range of euphoria soaked comprehension, an older mare caught sight of the scene and let out a long "D'awwwwwwww."

Everything holding Scootaloo together was crashing down as she felt something alien against the roof of her mouth. 'Is that... No no no that is not Sweetie's tongue!' Her eyes bulged for only a moment, but closed once again when she realized that her last line of defense had been breached. 'Ooohh she tastes like... Is that marshmallows? Marshmallows and chocolate! Dear Celestia she tastes like s'mores! Abort mission! Abort missi-aahh that's good...'

All too soon, and not nearly soon enough at the same time, the kiss was broken. Sweetie Belle removed herself in a flash, standing as if to be ready to go back to the clubhouse. "Alright, that's all! We can go do something else now!"

Scootaloo, on the other hand, was in shock. She had frozen in place, her eyes glazed over. Inside, her limbic system was waging a war the size of which Equestria has never seen.

"Scootaloo?"

She was out for the count. The feeling in her heart was like something she had never felt in her life. It was like a tingling excitement, but it made her feel warm and fuzzy. It made her feel like she just wanted to curl up in a ball with Sweetie Belle and cuddle for the rest of forever.

"Scootaloo!"

"Huh?"

"We can go now!"

"Oh..." Scootaloo cleared her head and looked up at Sweetie. "Do we have to?"

"Uh, you wanted to so I guess not but... What?"

'Okay, I've lost the battle, but by the voluminous flank of Celestia I will not lose the war!' She worked up all the resolve she could, preparing a tongue lashing that could make an ursa cry. She opened her mouth, willing the words to come out, but her vocal cords had another idea. "Can we do that again?"

"Um..." Sweetie was lost for words, unsure of how to respond to that. She was proud that she was apparently that good, but the date was over. She expected that to be it. "I mean, I guess. Why?"

"No reason! Bye!"

With that, Scootaloo was gone. Only the most trained eye could have seen which direction she went, and Sweetie could barely spot a fire in a kitchen.

"Ah young love. I remember my first kiss," interjected the nosy mare, who had gotten up to talk to the lonely unicorn. "She likes you a lot, I can tell."

"Really? I didn't think it was that special."

Sweetie folded up her blanket and began walking towards Ponyville, determined to find her date. The mare watched, bewildered at how this sweet, adorable little filly had just completely missed the scene happening around her own lips.