• Published 21st Jan 2012
  • 2,230 Views, 32 Comments

The Mark of Blue Breeze - Blue Breeze



The first of the Blue Breeze chronicles, where all the shenanigns start.

  • ...
1
 32
 2,230

The Mark of Blue Breeze

Author's Note: Well, here it is, my very first fanfiction, 'The Mark of Blue Breeze'. I'd like to make a few things clear before we start though. For anyone who sees this as a new viewer, know that this is a setup to my later stories(which I think are far superior). Also, this is a redone version of a story I wrote MONTHS ago and recently fixed up. Even though it's touched up, I still consider it the worst of my work and think the other stories I've done are much better. Even still, I do welcome any criticisms you may have on anything. Now, on with the story.

Hey there, glad to see you stopped by. My name's Blue Breeze. Oh, you didn't ask? Well, I'm telling you anyways. I'm just an average twelve year old pegasus colt living with his family in Cloudsdale. Nothing special.

Oh. What do I look like, you ask. I have a short yellow mane with a medium length yellow tail and a blue coat. I still don't have a cutie mark just yet, but I don't really care either.

I live with my ten year old little sister, Soft Hail, who is a white pegasus with a blue mane and a blue and white mane and tail. She always wears a white headband in her mane, and shr's still a blank flank like me. I also have my mother, Raindrop, a light blue pegasus with a white mane and tail and a cutie mark of a cloud with rain coming out from under it. And lastly there's my father, Thundercloud, a yellow pegasus with a dark grey mane and tail and a cutie mark of a storm cloud with a lightning bolt.

We all live a nice, quiet life together up in our little home in Cloudsdale. I know this doesn't sound like the most interesting life, but just wait for me to get to the good part, okay? It's called giving context and backstory.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember, I've had this extreme fascination with weather. Growing up in Cloudsdale and having both of my parents work at the Cloudsdale weather factory probably being the biggest reasons for that.

Back when I was only about six years old and my parents first took me to the factory, I have had this undying urge to learn as much as I possibly can about weather.

In school, I always pay attention during anything weather related. I've learned all kinds of things such as how snowflakes are individually made to how rainbows are made. But, one thing in particular has caught my attention.

It was just an average, boring day of school and we were learning about how weather works in different areas of Equestria when the teacher started talking about one place in particular: the Everfree Forest. A place where the weather is said to be naturally occuring and ponies couldn't control it in the slightest.

The Everfree Forest is infamous in Equestria due to not only its weather, but it also being the home to a large mass of different varities of monsters from cockatrices to ursa majors. And not only is the weather and wildlife threatening enough, but it also has crazy plantlife you can't find anywhere else in Equestria.

Due to large beasts roaming the forest, and combining with dangerous plantlife, ponies have never been able to stay in the forest long enough to understand why its weather is natural and not controlled by ponies like everywhere else in Equestria. So, I've made it my goal in life to be the first pony to discover the mysteries of the Everfree Forest's weather.

Today I plan to make my way over to the forest and study its strange weather. I go into my room and grab a bag before I start filling it up with supplies. Just some paper and a pencil to take notes with. Food I'll get next.

As I pack up, my sister walks by my room and looks in. Curious as to what I'm doing, she walks. "Blue, what are you doing?"

I turn back to her. "Oh, nothing. I'm just prepping my stuff to head out to the Everfree Forest."

Her eyes go wide. "What?! That's crazy! You'll be killed!"

"Sorry, Haily, but is just something I gotta do. I promise I'll be fine. Just trust your big bro."

"No, you're crazy. Besides, mom and dad will never let you go."

"We'll just see about that."

I finish packing up my bags before I exit the room, leaving my sister in a state of worried shock.

I head into the kitchen and stock up on a bit of food for when I get hungry. Some apples, crackers, a sandwich or two, and a canteen full of water. That should be good.

With my supplies now in tow, I make my way out to the living room and to the front door... only to be stopped once my mom notices me leaving.

"Blue, where are you going?"

I stop. "Nowhere special, just the Everfree Forest."

"What?!" she shrieks. "Blue, the Everfree Forest if far too dangerous for a boy your age. You could get seiously hurt."

"Mom, you really shouldn't worry so much. I'll be just fine."

"No, Blue. I forbid you from going there."

"Your mother's right, son." says Thundercloud as he walks in, having heard the conversation earlier.

"But, dad-"

"No buts, Blue. You're not going to the Everfree Forest and that's final."

Seeing that I'm not going to win this arguement, I sigh as I slump my head and slowly walk back to my room, defeated. I go back in to find Haily still there.

She smiles and sighs in relief as she sees me come in. "Phew, I knew they'd never let you go."

I look at her and smirk. "You think that'll stop me? No way. Tonight, I'm sneaking out."

"Say what?!"

"You heard me. Just wait til night time."

I know this is crazy and drastic, but I just gotta find this out, even if it's dangerous. Sometimes a colt's gotta do what a colt's gotta do.

A few hours later

It is now about eight o'clock at night, about time for me to be sneaking out to the forest. I reach under my bed and grab out my bag that I had put under there. After that, I open up my window to fly out.

As I'm about to leave, Haily walks in wearing her pajamas(I get a really cute thought when I imagine this). She looks at me worriedly.

I jump down from the window and give her a comforting hug. "Don't worry, I'll be fine, alright?" she looks at me before silently nodding.

With that done, I head to the window and fly out. Haily comes up to the window to watch me fly. "Blue, please just be careful."

I promise I will be. I hate to make her worry, but I just have to do this.

I fly straight to the forest, ignoring everything else. I'll admit, I've never flown for this long, so this fly isn't fun or easy in the least.

Despite the long and tiring flight, I land just outside the forest sometime later. I get to just outside the entrance and stop in hesitation. I shake it off a second later before gulping and walking in.

Well, here we go.

Back at home

Haily had gone off to bed after I left, but she had trouble sleeping. My parents were currently coming to check up on me, thinking I was still there.

They walk into my room and see a lump under my covers. They walk up to the side of the bed. "Blue honey, are you awake?" Raindrop asks. No response.

"Blue, I know you're upset with us, but we're only doing this to keep you safe." Thundercloud says. He tries to set a hoof on the pile, but it sinks in. "What the?"

Raindrop pulls the covers off and gasps. "He's gone!"

"Oh no. He must've snuck out!"

Haily walks in from behind them, rubbing her eyes as she yawns. "Hey, what's with all the shouting?"

They turn to her worriedly. "Haily, Blue is gone!"

She snaps out of her drowsiness as she hears that. "Oh, uh, r-really?"

Thundercloud's eyes narrow. "Haily, did you know anything about this?" they both look at her sternly.

She nervously laughs before fowning. "Yes, I did. I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"What are we going to do?!"

"Just calm down, Rain. All we can do is trust Blue to be careful at this point."

She clinges to him for comfort. "I do hope he'll be all right."

"I know, honey... I know..."

Back over in the forest

I'll admit, this place is a lot creepier than I thought it would be, especially at night. All of the sounds like hooting of the owls and howls of wolves. Combine that with low vision due to how dark everything is and it gets quite eery.

I shake off my fears as I start focusing on what I came for. I break out my pencil and paper and get to work on taking notes.

I take notice of how the clouds move on their own and the weird shapes they take. Very interesting. Speaking of the clouds, after a bit of time in their, it starts raining, making me take shelter under a tree.

Just great. Oh well. Little bit of rain never hurt anypony.

I decide that maybe it's best to take a little snack break. I put my notes away as I break out my food and get my munchies on.

After eating, I start taking notes again. I note how the rain had started up on its own and without any ponies around to trigger it like most clouds. Peculiar.

My not taking is suddenly interrupted as I hear a noise come from behind me. I quickly turn around to the source of the noise. "Who's there?! You better show yourself!"

My demands are answered when two manticores come out of the bushes, drooling and licking their lips as they look at me as if I were a small animal. This is bad.

"Oh horse-apples." I say as I quickly drop my stuff and make a mad dash to get out of there.

The manticores quickly chase after me, looking to make me their next meal.

I go running as fast as I can, trying desperately to lose the manticores. Due to my smaller frame, I am easily able to manuever through the forest better than the much larger manticores.

I look back to see the manticores getting further and further behind. I am finally going to lose them!

When I look back ahead, a paw strikes me, giving me claw marks on my left check and sending me flying into a small clearing area.

It was another manticore, trying to help out its friends and to get some dinner of its own.

As I get up, all three manticores are circling around me, hungry looks in their eyes.

I can't run away, I have no choice but to stay and fight.

I am darned if I am gonna die now.

Suddenly, I feel this surge of energy go through my entire body. I feel a million times stronger than I ever have felt before.

The manticore standing directly infront of me is getting ready to pounce.

I start flying upwards, creating strong gusts of wind with my wings that send the manticore flying into a tree.

When I get back on the ground, I feel a strange tingling feeling in my wings. I then look at my wings to see that they are shining a maginificent glowing, white aura.

I then flap my wings at the two manticores standing to my left and right, sending white waves of energy towards the both of them.

Upon getting hit by the waves, the manticores are cut across their abdomins, as if they were hit by some kind of blade.

The three manticores shakily get up, having had enough of me.

All three were readying themselves to pounce in me all at once. But suddenly, they feel their paws slowly slipping forward.

While the manticores had been setting up their attack, I had been flying around in a circle, creating a tornado that sucks up all the manticores and send them all sailing through several trees, knocking them out cold.

What the hay was that?!

I start to think it over more as I remember something. In school, we were taught legends saying that certain ponies other than just unicorns were born with incredible magical abilities. I guess I was one of the lucky ponies born with such powers.

Awesome!

I am about to leave for home before I noticed something: I have a cutie mark! It is a tornado, representing my new found magical powers over wind.

Even more awesome!

After that, I ponder going back to get my stuff, but to hay with that! I'm not risking something even worse trying to come out and eat me.

I then decide to fly home. I say to myself. "I may have survived the manticores, but my parents are gonna kill me when I get home." I sigh to myself at the thought. Well, not much I can do about that.

The fly back is even more grueling than the fly there after that mess that just happened. I decide that I should probably fly through my window like I did to leave.

As I fly in, I exhale. "Phew, I'm glad that's over."

"Ahem." I hear a voice say.

My eyes widen as I look over to see my parents and Haily standing in the room, my parents with stern looks while Haily just looks relieved.

I nervously. "Hey, everypony. What's up?"

"What's up?! We were worried sick about you!" Haily says as comes over to hug me. "Don't you ever be that stupid again!"

"Oh my Celestia! Your face!" my mother says as she comes over to look at it. "Oh, I just knew you were going to get hurt."

"Geez, that's quite the scratch on your face." my dad says.

I push them all back before sighing. "Look, I know I screwed up and I'm in trouble and you've got a lot questions, but it's been a long night. Can we please talk about this in the morning?"

My parents look at each other. "Oh, I suppose, but you're not getting out of this, young colt."

"Yeah, I know."

"Okay, off to bed now Haily." my dad says as he motions her out.

"Aw, but I wanted to talk to Blue." she protests.

"Off. To. Bed."

I hop into my bed as my mom follows me and tucks me in. "Good night, Blue." she says with a kiss.

"Good night, mom." I say as I move around to get comfortable.

She smiles as walks off and shuts the door behind herself.

Things may be good now, but I'm gonna get it in the morning.

Author's Note: And that was 'The Mark of Blue Breeze'. I do you hope you all enjoyed it and are willing to read my other stories to find out what happend later on. Thank you for watching and see you all later.

Comments ( 10 )

:twilightsmile:
Oh, the origins, when the protagonist is young...
Good old memories, huh?

Huh, not a lot of authors redo things, what made you decide to?

801581 the crappiness of the original in comparison to my other stories

802441... Doesn't seem good enough.

802890 well, its redone and thats all i care about

802907 Good on ya.

IMPROVEMNT. Time to nerd out 3 ... 2... 1 go: OMG Blue used GUST. Yeah I could have said that in the first but I give no fucks.

Nice story. But what's YOUR cutie mark, author?

838148 probably a video game controller. i LOVE video games

Same here :3. Either that, or the Japanese flag.

Login or register to comment