• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 6,640 Views, 163 Comments

Kaidan's Short Stories: Vol. 1 - Teen - Kaidan



A collection of all my one-shot stories. From the comedies for everyone, to mature sci-fi crossovers, and featuring a dozen story prompts from friends. You'll find a great collection of my short stories from 2013 onward here.

  • ...
15
 163
 6,640

9 Rarity's Revenge: Dodge Junction :: E/Co

{comedy}{slice of life}{everyone}

It had been a couple months since Rarity had been stranded near Dodge Junction with only Pinkie Pie for company. They had to walk through the desert for a couple hours to get back to town, and then rent a handcar to get to Ponyville. There wouldn’t be another train until tomorrow, and once somepony told Pinkie that the nickname for a handcar was a “Kalamazoo” she had to listen to her go on for an hour about Kalamazoo this and Kalamazoo that. Then it was chimi cherry or cherry changa…

Rarity had sworn revenge on Rainbow Dash for abandoning them while chasing down Applejack. At first she had been planning a series of elaborate acts of revenge, but had finally settled on something more subtle…

~*~

Spike was flying through the air, listening for the sound of screaming. Spreading his massive wings out, he dove down towards the source of the noise. He could see a cowering pony, surrounded by timber wolves. “Hang on Rarity!” he bellowed, taking a deep breath. The wolves were oblivious of the purple dragon overhead, as he shot out green fire igniting 2 of them and sending the other 3 fleeing. After the 2 burning wolves had jumped into a nearby stream, Spike was alone with Rarity at last.

“Oh Spike darling, you’re my hero! You simply must allow me to reward you” Rarity blubbered, holding back tears. Spike closed his eyes and leaned forward… Rarity opened her mouth and shouted “SPIKE! GET THE DOOR!” Spike’s right eye popped open to a confused looking Rarity. “SPIKE! It’s almost noon get out of bed!” and as Spike turned around there was an annoyed looking Twilight and several woodland critters fleeing for their lives.

“Ugh…” Spike rubbed his eyes and rolled over in his bed “Twilight, I wouldn’t need to sleep in until noon if you hadn’t wanted me to sort all the books alphabetically by Author’s maiden name last night.”

“Well somepony must have left the front door locked and I have to finish this dissertation on the origin of the elements of harmony for the princess” Twilight replied calmly.

The knocking started up again but much closer this time, Spike looked over to the window to see a frizzy rainbow mane and 2 bright magenta eyes pressed against the glass. “Hey Twilight, Spike! The new Daring Do came out today; do you have my copy ready so I can read it?” Rainbow inquired.

“Actually Dash, Rarity stopped by earlier this morning and borrowed the whole series. I never would have figured her for the…” Twilight was interrupted by a panicked looking Rainbow Dash. “She what! I’ve been waiting months for the next novel, it’s supposed to be the best book in the series!”

“Well maybe you should go over and ask her to borrow it, after all she is probably still on the first book” she responded, but the window was already vacant. “Spike will you close that window for me? Spike?” After looking back Twilight could see that he was already fast asleep again. She heard a click and a “who” as the window closed. “Thanks Owlilicious” she replied, sighing at Spike. There were some battles even she couldn’t win, and as long as Spike was asleep she just might finish her dissertation for the princess and have time to start reading Starswirl the Bearded’s “The fabric of space time, unabridged edition.”

~*~

Rainbow Dash landed in front of Carousel Boutique and walked in past the open sign. She saw Rarity hard at work on a rainbow colored dress. She sighed, this is just what she needed right now. Her birthday was tomorrow and Rarity doubtless wanted to size some frilly girly dress to make Rainbow wear. As she pondered what Daring would do to get the book without getting stuck as a pin cushion for a crazed fashionista, she approached.

Glancing around the room the books were nowhere in sight, it was never that easy. “Hi Rarity, I came by to get the new Daring Do book, you know, kingdom of the ebony heart” she added.

“Oh Rainbow! I’m so glad you’re here; I have to get you sized for your birthday dress. I figured the only way I’d get you to sit still long enough was if I borrowed that dusty old book. And I must say that the way Ahuizotl traps her in a tomb before revealing—”

Rarity was quickly interrupted by Dash “STOP! I’ll let you size the dress just no spoilers. Also, could you make it a little cooler? With all those frills and laces you’d think somepony had never met me before.”

“Oh, well the customer is always right… Here, why don’t we get this sized and then I can make some modifications” Rarity fused. “After the whole incident with Hoity Toity I’d think you would have a little more faith in my designs.”

Rarity did have a point there, Rainbow conceded; if anypony knew fashion was it was her. With a dejected look on her face, she stepped up onto the pedestal next to the dress and allowed Rarity to put it on. She had zoned out, wondering what kind of artifact the ebony heart in the next novel would be. Would Daring Do take it back to a museum to be preserved, or would it turn out to be some dark artifact that had to be destroyed? And how had Ahuizotl escaped after Daring Do had her locked in prison?

As Rainbow stood there her skin crawled against all the satin and lace of the dress. Being friends with such a generous pony was nice, but sometimes she was a little too generous with her elaborate dresses. She noticed Rarity levitating a bottle over with her magic and a bit of fabric. “Hey Rarity, what’s that?” she inquired. She could already smell a bit of the pungent odor coming off the cloth

“wait.. ah” Rainbow quickly collapsed asleep on the floor. Rarity began the task of moving her upstairs to the bedroom while she prepared to get her revenge on Rainbow Dash.

~*~

Pinkie Pie hopped happily along the main street of Ponyville. She loved everypony and every party, but tomorrow was Rainbow Dash’s party and nothing was better than a big, cool, rock and roll party. She had already stashed cakes, streamers, confetti, and party cannons all around Ponyville in preparation. Her last stop was Rarity’s, who had generously offered to hold the party at her boutique.

As Pinkie approached, she stopped and took note of the closed sign on the door. Rarity shouldn’t be closed yet, so she paced around looking for an open window but couldn’t find one so she settled on a drain pipe.

Rarity was upstairs, making Rainbow’s dress 20% frillier and giving her a hooficure. She would be the most girly looking pony at her party tonight, and that would drive her crazy. She then heard a loud bang and what sounded like broken dishes downstairs in the kitchen. With a sigh she got up and left the bedroom, locking the door behind her. That was undoubtedly Pinkie Pie, nopony else could enter and leave a locked building at will like that pony.

“RARITY! I’m so glad to see you! I was outside and the door was locked and I was worried you forgot about the party, and then I thought you’d gone to get a present but that’s silly because everypony knows that the stores are closed on Sunday so I…” Pinkie was interrupted by Rarity, who knew from experience she would be here all day otherwise.

“Pinkie, I’m so glad you could make it but you’re earlier than I expected. Like we discussed, Rainbow wants to party all night long for her birthday. The guests will be here at 6” Rarity added.

“Oh I know that, I just came by to make sure everything is set up for tonight. It’s going to be the best party ever! The Wonderbolts accepted the RSVP, and everypony in town wants to come, and all of our pets will be here and Twilight says that Luna might even stop by if she is not too busy!” Pinkie rambled on “So why did you close up the shop so early?” she asked, tilting her head.

“Well I can’t have the shop messy for the party and I need to work on my mane” Rarity stated.

“Your mane looks fine Rarity, nothing like my mane. No matter how many times I wash it it still smells like cotton candy” Pinky sighed.

“That would be because you have cotton candy scented shampoo Pinkie” Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Oh that’s right! Well then, if everything’s ready here I’ll just head out to round everypony up” Pinkie exclaimed, before jumping back into the sink.

“No wait Pinkie!” Rarity shouted, but it was already too late. She would have opened a window or a door, but Pinkie had already vanished, presumably down the sink. “Well, that’s Pinkie Pie.”

~*~

Rainbow stirred in bed, she had clearly been taking a nap again but something in her mind was nagging her that this was all wrong. Had she overslept her birthday party? Looking outside it was already sunset, so she hopped out of bed and looked around for a clock. That’s when she noticed the mirror, and a small note on it.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

You abandoned me in Dodge Junction with Pinkie Pie, covered in dirt! It took me weeks to fix my mane. Well I’m throwing you a very special party to celebrate, I do hope you enjoy it.

-Rarity

~*~

Rainbow Dash looked in the mirror in horror. She first noticed her eyelashes, she never curled them or thought much of them for that matter. Now they were almost an inch longer and curled. Her eyelids had pink makeup that matched her iris and she had on matching lipstick. Her cheeks glistened with a blushing shade of pink. Then she saw her hair.

Her beautiful mane had been braided, shaking the tiara off she could see that no hair had been missed. Dozens of long, elegant braids ran through her mane, down over the dress…

Rainbow gasped in horror at the frills and lace. Smooth pink satin flowed down her flanks, with yellow lace and white frills. Small pastel flowers adorned the sides, it was doubtless the kind of dress Rarity or Fluttershy would wear but this was WAY to uncool for her. She needed something awesome, radical, streamlined…

Starting to panic her gaze finished drifting downwards to her beautifully hooficured hooves. Pink nail polish had been applied to her delicately trimmed hooves. “Nopony touches my hooves!” she thought. Not even bothering to examine her braided tail, she decided it was time to get out of here. She looked at the window, her birthday party was any minute and was at Carousel Boutique. She had to get out of here before anypony saw her. Losing control, she struggled to rip the dress off, when she noticed her wings.

Her wings were inside the dress! She tried everything to get the dress off but Rarity must have anticipated this. Losing all sanity, she rushed to the window to jump out and run off before everypony saw her wearing half the pink cloth in the boutique. The window was securely locked, that’s when she turned slowly to the door. Surely if Rarity had gone through this much trouble, than everypony in town would be waiting downstairs to surprise her. Taking a deep breath, she thought back to Daring Do and the Temple of Doom. She could do this, she could sneak out before anypony saw, maybe get to Snips parent’s clothing store and get some scissors.

The door creaked open as she pushed it with her muzzle. No light shone through the door, and the creaking was amplified by the sound of her heartbeat. Finally sure that nopony had heard the door open she crept out into the dark hallway. She looked around, figuring she was on the second floor. There should be a bathroom and another window to the left, so she tiptoed across the floorboards. It seemed like every floorboard there creaked as if a manticore was standing on it. She paused every couple of steps to make sure Rarity hadn’t heard her. Getting to the door she found it was locked, much to her dismay.

There was only one other option now, and that was to head downstairs. As she approached the stairs she could hear some hushed murmuring. The lights were out, and everypony in town must be there waiting for Rainbow to walk through the front door. “This is great” she thought, but if everypony thought she was coming through the front door maybe she could sneak out the back. All she had to do was sneak downstairs, past the ponies in the dark, and out the back.

As she crept down the stairs she could feel every eye in the room on her. Surely they had to notice her? Hear her heartbeat? Her lungs began to burn as she realized she hadn’t been breathing. Afraid to gasp for air, she inhaled slowly and took a few more steps. She had reached the bottom of the stairs, and slowly crept towards the back door. Careful to use the party tables as cover, she was nearly there.

At the back door, Rainbow gingerly bit the door handle and pulled the door open.

“SURPRISE!!!” Pinkie shouted at the top of her voice from the other side of the back door.

“GAH!!!” Rainbow leapt backwards from the pink pony. How had she been outside in the backyard? Was she in on it too?

“Rainbow silly, the party is that way!” Pinky exclaimed “And I just love your dress!”

“My….” Rainbow was at a loss for words as the lights came on and she heard a gasp from behind her. Everypony in town slowly turned around to catch the pony that had tried to sneak out of her own surprise party.

“She must have thought the back door was the front door or maybe she had too many naps or smelt all those delicious cherry changas that Rarity baked!” Pinkie was already bouncing several feet in the air out of joy, but everypony else wasn’t quite sure what to make of Rainbow dash. Braided hair, pink satin, painted hooves…

“Well… your dress is… um… certainly something” Fluttershy meekly said, breaking the tension in the air.

“Why yes I’d say it is!” Rarity chimed in with a smile so big it looked like she could have fit a whole cake in there like Pinkie often did. “Rainbow has had me working for weeks to get this dress just perfect for her party!”

As if on cue, Vinyl Scratch popped up behind the DJ booth and started bobbing her head to a deep Rock ‘n Roll beat. Dash had loved Rock ‘n Roll once Lyra had introduced her to it. Vinyl, or DJ Pon3 as she liked to be called at parties, was quick to get on board. Glad for a reprieve as everypony started to mingle, Rainbow made her way over to Rarity.

“I can’t believe you! Sticking me in this girly outfit, in front of everypony in town!” Rainbow stated indignantly.

“Oh Rainbow, dear, do lighten up. Trust me when I say this is nothing compared to the sweat and sand and 4 hours on a hand cart…” Rarity was interrupted by Pinkie shouting “KALAMAZOO!”

“Um, yes a Kalamazoo. Anyway you look simply smashing, every colt in the room will want to go home with you after the party” Rarity added.

Rainbow Dash knew when she had been beat, but she also knew Rarity. She was sure with a little help from Pinkie she could get Rarity back for this. At least the Wonderbolts weren’t here to see this.

“Rainbow Dash!” Spitfire exclaimed, trying not to chuckle and failing. “When I got the RSVP from Pinkie Pie for your party I must say, I never expected this!”

Rainbow Dash wasn’t sure what to say, Rarity may be getting her revenge and she was furious to look so uncool in front of the Wonderbolts… At the same time though, not many ponies could say they got to hang out with the Wonderbolts at their birthday party. With the thoughts of vengeance fading, Rainbow grinned and replied “Yeah, well I owed Rarity a favor for leaving her in Dodge Junction last year so I’m modeling one of her new dresses…”

“Well, that’s understandable, say when the party is overcome find me and I can show you a few tricks from the next airshow. You might need to take that off though” Spitfire pointed at her dress which was pinning her wings to her side.

“Yeah it was uh…” Rainbow scratched her mane, remembering about all the braids “made for earth ponies.”

“Rainbow, you look incredible. I must say when I sent you here to get that copy of Daring Do back I didn’t think you’d have to go this far” Twilight joked.

Spitfire had already wandered off, so Rainbow turned to look at her friends. “Ah reckon ah must have bucked too many apples today and am seein’ things. Ain’t never seen you in anything quite so…. Fetchin’” Applejack added.

“Well you know what they say, when you’re this cool you can pull off any outfit” Rainbow tried to look confident, but that wasn’t easy when it felt like you were wearing a pink cloud.

“Well Rainbow, do relax and enjoy the party. We have kumquats, cherry changas, chimi cherries, and I do say Pinkie has taken quite a liking to those ‘pixie stix’ over there” Rarity gabbed. “And after all, you wanted to have an all-night party, so you’ll have plenty of time to talk to everypony in town!”

Rainbow sighed dejectedly; this was going to be a very long night.


Author's Note:

Tried to write a revenge that would fit the canon (so no burying Dash to her neck in sand next to an anthill.) Needs a little polish, oh and my first ever fimfiction story!

Looking back, I'm quite fond of these ridiculous and funny little short stories that I started my authorship with. :twilightsheepish: