• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 6,640 Views, 163 Comments

Kaidan's Short Stories: Vol. 1 - Teen - Kaidan



A collection of all my one-shot stories. From the comedies for everyone, to mature sci-fi crossovers, and featuring a dozen story prompts from friends. You'll find a great collection of my short stories from 2013 onward here.

  • ...
15
 163
 6,640

25 Flutter to her Fame :: T/Da/Tr

Fluttershy’s parents punish her harshly for breaking a proud tradition of Wonderbolts in the family. . .

{Teen} {Dark} {Sad}

Fluttershy hid under her bed, already knowing what would happen when her mother found out she had failed PE at her school again. All the other pegasi made the exercise look so easy, but Fluttershy could barely fly, and she was mocked for it.

The door flew open and slammed against the wall. Fluttershy closed her eyes, hoping that if she couldn’t see Mother, then Mother couldn’t see her. Her high-pitched filly voice filled the air as her tail was yanked on, dragging her out from under the bed.

She tried to scramble back underneath, but couldn’t. Fluttershy had bruises and cuts from last week that were barely hidden under her fur, and didn’t want more.

“Fluttershy! You failed PE again? Are you even trying to fly anymore?” her mother screamed.

“S-s-sorry!”

“Sorry doesn’t get you a cutie mark!” Her mother picked up a switch in her mouth and brought it down across Fluttershy’s flank, leaving a long red mark. “Sorry doesn’t make your father, the famous Wonderbolt, proud.” She whipped Fluttershy again with the switch.

“I-I tried! I r-really did! I’m n-not fast enough!”

“Of course you’re not! You’re worthless as a penguin; I’ve seen ostriches fly higher than you! I told your father that you would be worthless. He blames me for not having a colt. Do you want to know something, darling?”

“N-no.”

“When the Doctor told me I was having a girl, your father was so disappointed that I asked him for an abortion. I did everything in my power, but the damnable laws of Celestia forbid aborting a healthy fetus who poses no threat to the mother. That’s how I got this!” She pointed to a scar on her stomach. “That blade was meant for your throat, you worthless whore!”

She brought the stick down again and again on her daughter. Fluttershy bit her tongue, knowing that whimpering would only result in further lashings. Her mother would get tired soon, and allow her to rest.

“Tomorrow you are being allowed to retake the test. Get a passing time on the flight course, or I’ll amputate your pinion joint and banish you to live on the surface like a common mud pony!”

“No!” Fluttershy shouted. “Father wouldn’t let you!”

Mother glared at her, and smacked her in the muzzle with the switch. “It was his idea, you insolent whelp! Now, get in bed and don’t you dare get out for any reason or I’ll use my hoof instead of this stick!”

“B-but I need to use the l-little filly’s r-room—”

“Absolutely not! Get in bed and think long and hard about whether you want me to chop your wings off!”

Fluttershy hurried to get under her covers, where she would be safe. Her mother closed the door and locked it from the outside, leaving Fluttershy to cry herself to sleep.


Fluttershy was sitting in a small clearing surrounded by animals. The most amazing thing had happened on her way to the physical fitness test. A pony named Rainbow Dash had done a sonic rainboom, and Fluttershy had gotten her cutie mark. She discovered she could talk to animals.

“So that’s why I don’t want to go back. Can I live down here with all of you?” Fluttershy asked.

“Of course!” a beaver replied. “Why, you’re the sweetest pony I’ve ever seen! I’ll gather the lumber and build you a lovely house.”

“Yeah, and I have plenty of food,” a squirrel offered.

“And I’m friends with a bear who will make sure nopony bullies you anymore,” an owl stated.

“Oh, thank you. You don’t know how much it means to me. My parents will be so angry if they find out I have a butterfly cutie mark. They’ve always wanted me to be a stunt pony.”

“There she is!” a pegasus shouted. Fluttershy looked up and recognized several of the teachers from her school closing in on her position.

“Oh no!” Fluttershy looked around for a place to hide.

The animals surrounded her, making noises the ponies couldn’t understand. “Get them out of the way!” a pegasus ordered. “Her parents are worried sick.”

They began to bat the animals out of the way, and two of them grabbed Fluttershy by the chest to lift her up. “She can’t fly so we’ll have to carry her like this.”

“Put me down! I don’t want to go back!” Fluttershy screamed.

“It’s not your choice.”

“But I have my cutie mark! I can live on my own now!”

“That law doesn’t apply to juveniles with mental illness,” the instructor said. “Your parents told me everything about you.”

Fluttershy struggled as they flew off, carrying her back home. She watched her new animal friends in an uproar. Fluttershy felt sorrow for each bird that attempted to intercept one of the pegasi to help, only to get batted away like a tennis ball.


The house was absolutely silent. Fluttershy stood in the middle of her room and looked back at her flank. Three butterflies. She had three beautiful butterflies, and a special talent that nopony else had. Fluttershy had an entire world full of animals that would never judge her, or abuse her, down on the ground. All she had to do was face her parents.

Today she would stand her ground. Today would be the day Fluttershy overcame her nature and forced Mother to let her move out.

The cloud flooring vibrated slightly as her Mother approached. She bucked the door open, knocking it off its hinges. “How dare you try to run away?!" She marched forward to her daughter. “What the hell were you thinking?”

“I didn’t run away! I fell, and I got this!” She turned to show off her cutie mark.

“What? Is this some unicorn trick? You filthy slut! You banged some unicorn to try and trick us? Are you that determined to be the first pony in ten generations of our family not to be a Wonderbolt?” She struck out with her hoof, hitting Fluttershy’s jaw and sending her sprawling to the floor.

Fluttershy searched for the words but her fear had returned ten-fold. The brave words just seconds ago turned to tears, as she found herself unable to do anything but curl up and wait to die.

Her mother poked and prodded at the cutie mark, sending chills down her spine. “This looks genuine. And, pray tell, what does it mean?”

She just laid there and whimpered in response.

“Answer me!” She stomped a hoof onto Fluttershy’s ribs, causing a cracking sound as one fractured.

“Ahh! It’s—it means I can—can talk to animals!”

“Animals? Like a fucking mud pony?” She stomped a hoof down on one of her legs, but luckily it did not break.

“P-please!”

“No, I’m going to do what I should have done years ago.” She marched out of the room, leaving Fluttershy alone for a moment. Seconds later, her mother returned with a knife in her mouth. “Get ready to die, bitch.”

Fluttershy saw the blade, and thought of all her animal friends down on the soil below. There were so many kinds, and they were her friends, they would be so sad if she never came back. She knew she had to resist, for them, and for that one filly who stood up to her against the bullies. There were good, kind things in the world worth living for.

“No!” Fluttershy yelled, standing up. She stared her mother directly in the eye. “Stop!”

Her mother froze, unable to look away from her daughter. She felt a lump in her throat as her muscles stopped moving. There was nothing she could do when her lungs stopped expanding. She had been frozen in time like a statue, unable to disobey that one simple command: "stop!"

Fluttershy watched her mother freeze, and saw the knife fall to the floor. She was afraid to look away from her mother, and watched as she began to make soft coughing noises. Her lips were turning blue, and Fluttershy wasn’t sure how long they had been staring at each other.

“M-Mother?”

With the two still locked in a staring contest, Fluttershy’s will continued to override her mother’s. She was now gasping for breath against muscles that refused to move, until finally she collapsed.

Fluttershy looked down in horror. Her hooves and lips were blue, and the muscles around her throat were tight. She poked her in the shoulder, then felt against her chest for a heartbeat.

There was none.

She screamed loudly, having somehow killed her mother. The noise attracted the attention of her father. He stormed in the room, stopping to stare in horror at the knife and his dead wife.

“Fluttershy! You rat, what have you done?”

“I-it was an a-accident! S-she was g-going to kill m-me.”

“As she should have!" her father yelled. “You murdering whore, you’ve ruined our reputation in Cloudsdale! A filly who murders her mother! Who comes from ten generations of stunt ponies and gets a fucking butterfly cutie mark?” He pointed to her flank and shook his head in disgust.

“P-please, I’m s-sorry,” Fluttershy muttered.

“It’s too late for sorry. If you want to act like a mud pony and play in the dirt, I’ll bury you in it. Right after I tell everypony in Cloudsdale how you murdered your mother and took your own life.”

He lifted up the knife and stabbed it into his wife’s chest. Blood poured out of the wound steadily onto the floor. “Now, I just need to slit your throat.” He hooked a foreleg around the knife and approached his daughter.

Fluttershy was filled with that same courage, driven from fear, to ensure she protected herself and her new friends on the ground.

“Stop!” she commanded, staring into his eyes.

He froze in the middle of stepping forward, the knife in his outstretched leg.

Fluttershy thought about it. Nopony had killed another pony in so long, and her teachers said it had a death penalty. Yet, she had killed her mother, would they understand it was an accident? Or would her father kill her the instant she stopped staring?

Tears began to roll down her face as she stared into her father’s eyes. He and her mother had abused Fluttershy, and there was only one way to end it.

“Sorry. . . but I need you to cut your throat,” Fluttershy instructed. She stared into his eyes as he also began to cry. He drew the blade across his throat in a calculated motion, causing blood to spray out onto Fluttershy.

She stopped staring as he slumped to the ground. Fluttershy needed to run, to get back to the ground, but she couldn’t fly well enough to make it that far. Had she not landed on butterflies earlier today, she would have died.

Finally, Fluttershy realized that there was one pony that might help her: the rainbow-maned pegasus. She was the only one to ever stand up for her. Fluttershy jumped out her window, using her weak wings to fall with style towards the street below. Fluttershy recalled seeing the pony in passing before, and that her name was Rainbow something. Surely she would be around here somewhere.

A few ponies saw Fluttershy, with blood splattered all over her face and neck, and screamed. Those few were too shocked to try and stop her, another asked if she needed help. She didn’t acknowledge any of them as she fled.

Finally she found what she was looking for. Rainbow was playing with a hoofball. “Hey, you! You’re Rainbow, right?” Fluttershy asked.

“Rainbow Dash, the one and only! My parents are throwing me a party for that awesome sonic rainb—hey, aren’t you the filly from earlier? Fluttershy?” Dash flew over and landed next to her. “Those bullies were picking on yo—whoa?! What happened?”

Fluttershy was shaking as she explained. “My parents... t was an accident! They were so mean and I got angry and—”

She stopped when she saw Dash backing away in fear.

“No, please, look!” Fluttershy turned to her side and lifted her wing. There were scars, faint but visible, as well as some bruises and marks from being whipped recently.

“Whoa, are those real?” Dash walked up and poked one of the tender spots, causing her to jump back. “Your parents did this to you?”

“Yeah! Look, all I need is somepony I can trust to fly me back to the ground. I found my special talent too; the animals will take care of me!”

“This is some crazy stuff here, Flutters.”

“Please, you’re the only pony who was ever nice to me.”

“Really? That’s sad—wait, get down!” Dash shoved Fluttershy next to some bushes and flipped an empty potted plant jar onto her.

“Excuse me, little filly, have you seen a yellow and pink filly around here?” a police stallion asked.

“Who? Me?” Dash asked. She juggled her hoofball in the air using her head. “Nah, I’m just the filly who did a sonic rainboom!”

“That was you?” his partner asked.

“Get your autograph later,” the police stallion said. “We need to find that filly and find out why she murdered her parents.”

“What?” Dash said. They looked at her accusingly. “I just mean, ponies don’t murder ponies!”

“A witness saw her fleeing from the house, covered in blood. The law is clear on this.”

“But what if it wasn’t her fault, or an accident or something? You can’t go picking on fillies!” Dash argued.

“Look, kid, this isn’t up to you. Go play with your hoofball and let the grown-ups do their job,” the police stallion ordered.

Dash huffed and waited for them to leave. Once the coast was clear, she lifted up the pot that Fluttershy was hiding under. “Okay, Flutters, I’m in. I’ll fly you back to the ground so you can be happy.”

Fluttershy jumped out and hugged Dash. “Oh thank you, I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you!”

“Heh, I’m sure I’ll visit you someday and need a favor. Come on, my parents will be back soon so we need to hurry!”

Fluttershy nodded and jumped on Dash’s back. “I’ve never rode a pony before, like this?”

“Yep. Now hold on, and keep your hooves on the pegasus at all times!” Dash jumped into the air and flew towards the edge of her yard, then dove down towards the ground.

“It’s over there, by that small village and forest.”

“You got it!”


Author's Note:

Story Prompt by Octavia Harmony - Maybe Fluttershy's version of "Puppet To Her Fame" childhood, where her parents wanted her to be a Wonderbolt, despite not having flying skills like them, and eventually Fluttershy caving in and using The Stare on them to kill them or something.

Feel free to request stories for me to write.