• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 6,640 Views, 163 Comments

Kaidan's Short Stories: Vol. 1 - Teen - Kaidan



A collection of all my one-shot stories. From the comedies for everyone, to mature sci-fi crossovers, and featuring a dozen story prompts from friends. You'll find a great collection of my short stories from 2013 onward here.

  • ...
15
 163
 6,640

18. Twilight's Best Day Ever :: T/Da/Tragedy

{Teen}{Dark}{Tragedy}

Twilight has finally figured out how to cope with the stress of being a Princess. She sets out to make every one of her friends smile, ensuring that she has the best day ever.

******************************************

Twilight had a rough first few months as an alicorn, but today was going to be the best day ever. She had everything planned to the last detail. She was going to visit everypony in town, give gifts to make them smile, and ensure everypony was as happy as could be.

Her first stop was with Dash. She landed on her porch and knocked on the door. After a minute, Dash opened it. “Hey, Twi, what’s up?”

“Hi Dash!” Twilight cheered. “I’m so glad you’re here. I got you a special gift today.”

“Whoa, awesome! I sure am glad to see you in a good mood for a change. What is the gift?”

Twilight pulled a bundle of books out of her saddlebags. “It’s an autographed, first edition of the entire Daring Do series. I even managed to get the next book early, just for you! It’s not due out for eight more months.”

Dash’s mouth fell open and her eyes went wide. She mumbled and nearly squealed in joy, before managing a more composed response. “Thanks! This is so awesome!”

“Anything for my friends, Dash, that’s why I’m in such a good mood.” Twilight smiled, and then turned to leave. “I’ve got more gifts to give, see you later!”

Dash could do little but watch in shock as Twilight flew off towards the next house.


Twilight ran into the Cutie Mark Crusaders as they debated their next crusade in the middle of the street.

“And I say it’s safe! It’s just a ring of fire, it looks worse than it really is,” Scootaloo said.

“Ah reckon’ we should try somethin’ safer like cooking,” Applebloom stated.

“No,” Sweetie interrupted. “Rarity won’t let me near the kitchen, we should try to help at the day spa.”

“Oh girls,” Twilight said. She waited until she had their attention. “Don’t you see? It’s so simple! Cutie marks come when a pony finds what their special talent is. A pony's special talent is always something they’re naturally good at.

“Scootaloo, you ride that scooter everywhere. You can do stunts, choreography, and your hoof-eye coordination is amazing. Your cutie mark has something to do with your natural talents and athleticism! Stop trying things like cooking, and focus on stunts.”

“See?” Scootaloo asked, “I told you the ring of fire was a good idea!”

“Scootaloo, for you maybe, but Sweetie here was born to be a singer.”

“I what?” Sweetie asked.

“You can create wonderful lyrics, you have a lovely voice, and you’re a smart young filly. I bet if you spent more time working with your music, singing, or just creative activities, you’d have your cutie mark in no time.

“And Apple Bloom, Applejack told me how you rebuilt that clubhouse in under two hours with only a box of nails and a few planks of wood. That’s impressive. Most ponies would need power tools, sheet wood, shingles, not to mention new panes of glass, shutters, weatherproofing, and a slide rule. Focus on building things and you’ll be set.”

Twilight smiled as the crusaders stared at her in awe, each one finally realizing they were already talented at something.

“Thanks!” they shouted, before running off and talking excitedly about their plans for the day.


Twilight’s next stop was sugarcube corner. At first she wasn’t sure what to get Pinkie, but in the end it was quite simple.

“Pinkie, are you here?” she called out from the store’s front counter.

Pinkie popped up from behind the counter. “Of course I am, where else would I be?”

Twilight smiled. “I got you a very special gift: My Mother’s cookbook. She gave it to me when I moved to Ponyville. It’s got every recipe and sweet treat that has been in our family for generations.”

Pinkie gasped. “But aren’t family recipes usually secret?”

“I won’t be using them so I thought you could! I also told Spike you can come by and help yourself to any of my kitchenware or appliances. In fact, if you ever want to move out of Sugarcube Corner, I bet Spike would let you live in the library.”

“Don’t you mean you’d let me live in the library?”

“Oh, of course.” Twilight giggled and levitated a few cookbooks onto the counter. “Got to run, I have more gifts to give!”

“Thanks, Twilight!” Pinkie shouted as the alicorn trotted out the front door.


Rarity was always too generous for her own good, and Twilight knew she was barely making the rent for her lavish store. She decided to pay Rarity ten times what her latest dress was worth to help her out. It was enough bits for several months rent, and nearly every bit Twilight had.

Twilight trotted into the shop, setting off the bell above the door. “Rarity, I’m here to pay for my dress.”

Rarity looked up from her sewing machine. “Oh, Twilight, that’s not necessary.”

“I insist, we all have to pay the bills.” Twilight levitated the bag of bits out next to her cash register.

“Thanks you, darling, but the dress isn’t ready for two more days.”

“That’s okay,” Twilight replied. “I’ll pay now and come back in a couple days. I’m sure it’ll be an amazing dress. I also brought some books on fashion designs throughout history. You probably already know them all, but I’ve got too many books in the library anyway. . .”

Rarity got up and trotted over to Twilight and hugged her. The two mares were smiling. “Twilight, thank you. I don’t know how to repay you. You’ve been so stressed and sad since becoming a Princess. It warms my heart to see you this happy.”

“Oh, it’s like they say, Rarity: there is a light at the end of the tunnel. All that hard work and stress, and I’ve finally figured out how to be happy! I won’t have to worry about all that silly stress anymore.” Twilight laughed and hugged Rarity again. “I’ll miss you, take care!”

Twilight turned and trotted out the door towards her next friend.


“Well ah’ll be, Twilight, ah reckon ya cast that spell on every single apple tree, and we got 800 of ‘em!” Applejack exclaimed.

Twilight was panting, tired from the exhausting work. “No problem. . . I’m just glad to finally do this. . . for you.”

Applejack was smiling widely, and Twilight returned the gesture. “Well with those spell ta keep the pests off the trees, ah’m sure this harvest will be enough to pay off our debt on the barn. Ah don’t reckon ya can cast a spell on it so it stops getting wrecked all the time?”

“I would if I could, Applejack. These fertility and pest control spells will be worth it, mark my words! I doubt anymore than a dozen ponies in Equestria have the skill to cast these spells, but I’d do anything for you.”

“Well, ah got ta get back to apple buckin’. Thanks again, Twi, I hope you stay this happy.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be this happy for the rest of my life! It’s a bright new day. Oh, and tell Mac he can keep the Smarty Pants doll!”

Twilight trotted out of the orchard towards her last friend.


Having already met her best friends, and having doled out various gifts to dozens of other Ponyville citizens, Fluttershy was the last stop.

Twilight knocked on the door, and was quickly greeted and invited inside.

“Twilight, is everything okay? Should I get some tea for us?” Fluttershy asked.

“Oh, no need to do that, Fluttershy. I stopped by to thank you. If it weren’t for you and Dr. Mind, I wouldn’t be feeling so happy today!”

Fluttershy smiled and sat down on the couch, gesturing Twilight over. “Oh, I’m so happy to hear that.”

Twilight sat down next to her. “In fact, I brought over some of my favorite things to show you how grateful I am. First off, I want you to look after Spike, he’s having some. . . emotional issues too.”

“Oh really? He seemed fine!”

“Yeah, just check on him tomorrow and you’ll see what I mean. I also brought you as many herbs, medicines, and books on veterinary practices as I could. In fact, I even got Mayor Mare to eliminate your property taxes, as you run a non-profit veterinary clinic! You’ll save hundreds of bits a year!”

“Oh. . . I um. . . that’s so much, how can I ever thank you?” Fluttershy asked.

“Just smile for me.” Twilight waited for her to sheepishly grin, and then hugged her. “Thanks, Fluttershy. You were always the nicest pony to me. You take care now!”

“But, won’t you stay for tea?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight had already made her way out the door.


At long last Twilight got to the library. She let herself in and quickly found her assistant. “Oh, hi Spike!”

“Hey, Twilight, why have you been giving all our stuff away?” Spike asked.

“Just a little spring cleaning and generosity! In fact, I have some bits here for you to go get ice cream with Rarity. I told Pinkie you were coming, so she’s got some gem sprinkles ready for you,” Twilight said.

Spike immediately forgot all about the empty bookshelves and Twilight’s sudden mood swing. “Thanks! Did she ask to see me? Do you think she wants go see that new play at the theater?”

“Oh, Spike, one step at a time, okay?” Twilight hugged him. “I love you, Spike, now run along and have fun.”

Spike walked to the door and hesitated for a moment, looking back at Twilight. There was a hint of recognition or doubt in his eyes. Twilight just smiled widely until he finally grinned, turned, and walked out the door.

Now that Twilight was alone it was time to wrap up her best day ever. She trot around the library checking the shelves. All of the books that didn’t belong to the public library had been given away: Twilight’s entire private collection. Her dressers were empty, with all the clothes being donated to charity.

Twilight had given away her many chemistry supplies, herbs, and medicines. She had gotten rid of the cooking appliances, Daring Do books, and posters. Aside from her bed, and Spike’s personal belongings, she had succeeded in gifting every item she owned to her best friends to remember her by.

Twilight pulled a box out from under her bed that had a bright yellow smiley face drawn on it. She lifted out length of rope that had already been prepared and tied it to a rafter overhead. She used her magic to test it out and ensure it was sturdy. Next, she took out a small silver ring and placed it over her horn. It clicked painfully into place, locking itself onto her horn and blocking her magic.

Last, she cleared off her night stand and climbed on top of it. She put the noose around her neck, and took one last look around.

Her library, her life, was finally empty and complete. She was happy. Her friends were happy. She could go out on her own terms and never have to suffer the stress and responsibility of being a Princess again. All her suffering and trials were finally at an end.

She tightened up the rope, and then bucked the night stand away from her. Twilight fell, her body weight causing the rope to bite into her neck and collapse her trachea.

She spasmed and struggled helplessly, her magic blocked. Within ten seconds, she had blacked out from lack of blood flow. In a few minutes, she’d be brain dead.

Her smile managed to stay on her face until the very end.

It was over.

She was at peace now.




































“Hey, Twilight, Rarity says you paid her too much money,” Spike said. He walked through the front door of the library, followed closely by the fashionista.

Spike gasped, and Rarity fainted, at what they saw.


Author's Note:

Be sure to act if you see warning signs in real life.
How to Recognize the Warning Signs of Suicide