• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 599 Views, 4 Comments

The Colts of Harlech - Comrade_Derpy



tensions are rising between the occupying Equestrians and the native zebras of the colony of hoofal. and the only thing needed is a fuse for the powder keg.

  • ...
 4
 599

1: Cold tired wet? Welcome to Hoofal.

The secretary state of war has received the following dispatch from Prince Shining Armour, Commander in chief of our princesses forces in the Hoofal colony in the Zebrican lands...It reads.

"I regret to inform you of a very disastrous engagement that took place on the morning of the twenty second day of spring between the armies of the Zebrican king and our own number 3 column consisting of five company's of the first battalion of the 24th regiment of hoof and one company of the 22nd battalion a total of nearly one thousand five hundred pony's, officers and other ranks. The zebras in overwhelming numbers launched a highly disciplined attack on the slopes of the mountain of Bloedhellingheuwel and in spite of gallant resistance the company was utterly annihilated, Barr a few survivors....."

Hoofal, Port of Lunaban - 4 weeks before

The air was thick with salt from the waves that battered the wooden bow of the Frigate as she sailed unaffected by the barrage into port. Above, on deck was a scurry of activity as pony's from all stretches of the empire manned the rigging's or shouted commands -and or- demands at eachother, fighting to keep there voices heard over the roar of the sea. And holding onto anything that was nailed down as large waves scaled the side of the vessel, assaulting the ponies on deck. Still; the ship made her way into port, sailing into the protection of the harbour walls and the Princesses latest addition to the Empire.

The dock was filled with activity, workers flurried around carrying large crates of exotic goods, ready to be shipped out and back to the upper class stallions and mares of Equestria. Who would in great numbers spend thousands of bits on spices and other tropical goods. Workers began throwing ropes to and from the ship and gripping and hauling them around. tying them off on the edge of the battered dock to hold the mighty warship in place. With a large crunch the flank of the ship impacted into the wall. although softly, it was loud enough to echo around the ship and carry on out into the dock

From below the somewhat dated ship's deck came an orange stallion. Crisp and clean in his red infantry uniform he trotted with a slow and lazy pace along the deck to the edge of a gap in the vessel. designed as such, as this was where the gangway was currently being dragged over by some native zebras, slaves to there knew colonial masters. Looking down onto the port he watched the workers scuttle around loading cargo and supply's from other ships around him. to the left of his vision marched four pony's dressed in sharp uniform, much like him. They trotted in two lines and on there belts clipped a large lever action rifle. Bayonet's slipped on the muzzle, turning them into crude spear, they soon left his sight however. As the ponies marched around a warehouse before moving out of sight. He leaned over to see in large bold letter the words HMS Celestial Rays painted onto the ship. A hats tip to one of the two ruling sisters, although it was somewhat worn by the test of time and mother nature it stood as an example of the power of the Alicorns. And there influences in places such as here.

"Bloody hell Lieutenant, Celestia' not half testing us today with the weather eh?" Came a call from behind him. As he turned right to meet the voice he found himself face to face with nothing, in confusing he turned his entire body around again knowing he was making a good job of looking like an idiot...Not that being an idiot was hard. "I'm beside you sir" feeling the presence to the side of him and snapping his head left he came to face a brown coated unicorn with a sly smirk glued across his face. giving a brief nod before returning his view to the port and the activity on it "Or you could...just, ya know. Continue ignoring me Sharpy" The orange Lieutenant let out a short sigh before turning to face away "Did i not tell you to stop calling me by "cute" nicknames?, or does you repetitively small mind fail to comprehend such requests private Black?".Although Sharp was a rather small pony, he certainly tried to make his presence felt. His favourite weapon was use of large words and put downs.

"I believe so, but the Macintosh Rifles tend to dim the ears..." Black let out a small chuckle before attempting to figure out what Sharp was looking at to no avail. he turned to the middle of the deck. Glancing at the flank of his superior officer. And his Spyglass Cutie mark. "So... what's the plan for today?" he asked resting a hoof in his pithed helmet to cover his face from the powerful sun. "Ohhh. i do hope alcohol and mare knickers are involved. because no offence but a couple of weeks on a ship full of stallions aint exactly help me below, if you know what i me-" "Celestia Black!" Snapped sharp bringing his full body to the younger soldier "Cant you act decent for once rather then show your damned horny side?" he let out a huff, sorting his orange mane. "Private Black Soot you are a respected soldier in the Princesses colonial troops now show some bloody decency or you can expect as much press up as I'd feel possible for you to achieve....and frankly i doubt that would have to be much"

Black nodded letting our a sharp "Sir" before taking his hoofs and himself away from the ships side. He gave a brief pause, looking back at Sharp before smiling "Shall i bring the stallions on deck sir?"

Sharp nodded bringing himself back around to face the jumpy Private. "Please do Black, and tell them to clip there pith helmets onto there uniform. its far to hot for them to be any use rather then extra weight on the head" he explained letting out a rather hot and bothered sigh himself. Black let out another quick "sir" before heading below deck. Pausing to take his ranking officers advice and removing his own helmet, he clipped it onto his belt before continuing down into the belly of the ship to share the ranking officers orders with the rest of the stallions. It didn't take long before the rumble of hooves floated up from below. And within a few minutes of his order came a rush of dirty stallions racing around the mid section of the vessel for there tunics and other uniform needed to look presentable. On the port side came a moderate bang as a large dust covered plank that was the gangway was finally dropped on the small opening. With a smile Sharp proceeded to trot down the board coughing occasionally due to the rising dust that had collected over time in storage. he was followed close behind by Black and the rest of the regiment.

As his hooves touched the ground he was surprised by the heat emitted by the concrete, although nothing "painful" it was certainly a bother. Distracted by the hot ground he failed to notice the approaching stallion, and it was only when a shadow loomed over he turned up to face the new pony. Green in colour and a rather comical mutton chop that formed a crisp and well trimmed moustache he sat dressed in full kit he gave a salute with his hoof before talking "Sir welcome to Hoofal. I'll be acting under you command" he then held out his hoof towards Sharp with a warm smile "Colour Sergeant Cobalt Dusk acting commander for the towns garrison. If you want to form you Lads up sir they can give a bonny wee trot up tae the barracks n settle in" Sharp gave a small pause tilting his head and nodding "understood Colour Sergeant" He paused again. The accent that greeted him was intriguing and sound much much to familiar. Although not Trottingham he had heard the dialect before. "Tell me, where are you from, your accent is to rough for a Trottingham stallion although i swear by celestia I've heard it before"

Cobalt nodded before twisting his neck spitting off and into the water. Much to the disgust of the new ranking officer "Aye. The Highlanders, 4th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Trotland sir." With that sharp laughed placing a hoof on the Sergeants side "Oh dear boy you don't say? Ha I have a cousin in Edinbuck. A doctor in Equine history my friend!" They both shared a laugh as the Highland Stallion replied.

"Ah ya dont say mate? i was born an raised there myself sir i have to say it was a bonnie place. Cold but none the less bonnie, you aint seen hills until you see the highlands of Trotland." With that Cobalt peered behind Sharp noticing that the Stallions behind him had formed a double row and were looking at the two, clearly waiting for a command of sort. "Well sir, looks like your lads be waiting fir there Lieutenant like a changeling waits for there Queen. If you would kindly form them into a column and follow me i'll show you to the barracks Sir."

"Understood colour Sergeant lead the way" Sharp replied with a nod turning to face his own pony's

"Company of hoof you will march by two ranks, present!" He took a sharp intake of air "...Company by your left, Quick march!" the sound of left hooves hitting the ground echoed as slowly the Column of marching ponies made there way up the main street and into town.

Four Hours Later

With a slam Sharp closed his suitcase, bending down he pushed it under his wooden barrack bed with a slide and a thud. Sluggishly pulling himself back on all fours he immediately set himself down on his the bed with a sigh of relief. Happy to be off that rocking, wet and quite frankly crowded ship. He looked around to find himself rather welcomed and content to the surroundings. Four moderate sized wood walls. a small bedside table and a wardrobe and a half used candil, wax still dripping down the sides of it. He was lucky though, although he was indeed still a soldier his rank allowed him access to more "privileged" lodgings.

Placing his hooves across his stomach he looked out of the window, the sun still hung firmly over them and outside he could see many of the young garrison ponies struggle to stand up to the onslaught of celestias powerful rays. One pony he noticed. A young stallion with bright blue eyes. swaying slowly back and forth, his friend however only noticed him as his face impacted onto the dirt floor and took to carrying him off to the medical ward with a sluggish trot. Turning his gaze from the poor "sod" his eyes landed upon the thatched roof and how small rays of light broke thought its defences, it was hot in here to; but he was spared the brutality of Celestias sun outside.

As sharp turned his head upwards he could feel his eyes slowly grow heavy from the weeks activities and work. Yes, indeed it had been a rather long day and after spending a few weeks on a heavy shaken boat that had its fare share of his vomit -on the account that he was not exactly a seapony and could be a good reason why he never fancied the royal navy- a well deserved rest was in mind. Goodbye outside world hello sweet. sweet slee-

"Sir sir are you awake?!" Came a screeching voice of Black. His hoofs slammed across the wooden floor of the barrack room abruptly shaking Sharp awake. His eyes shot open and he let out a pained groan as he covered them with his hooves.

"Depends do i want to be?" he asked with obvious sarcasm stitched though every word.

"Wellllll" started Black, putting emphasis and a high pitched sequel onto the word. "Were all settled down and unpacked our kit and a few of us were planning on going drinking. So i decided to come ask if y-"

Sharp cut him off, glancing over with a serious look across his face. He turned his body to face him slightly. "You came to me just as i was about to doze of to ask if i wanted to brake the military rule of alcohol and go drinking with you?" He suddenly paused, closing his eyes again with a heavy sigh. In all honestly it was a tempting argument. a good cold frothy beer or cider sounded perfect. Surrounded by laughter and music. Rather skimpy dressed mares and to top it of a chance to actually socialise. rather then look like an another hot headed authority figure.

Well he was certainly won very quickly...

He let out a small smile backed with a chuckle "Ok you've won me over" he paused for a moment to think "actually grab the Sergeant and tell him its urgent, lets see if he wont join us eh?". With a quick laugh he saluted again "sir!" Black then left as fast as he entered. Allowing Sharp time to stand up, complain, complain again, and finally dress down into something more formal. Perhaps his blackened under-tunic with bare hooves?. And he didn't really need his rump to be covered by his black trousers so off they could come to. With a swift change and several painful slams of his hind legs onto the bed, something he totally never felt thing from, he headed out into the plaza that sat in the middle of the military structures. where several soldiers sat drinking, socialising and gambling.

Looking up he let out a sigh of relief. The heat of the day had drastically cooled as the sun had began to fall. At this rate it was becoming rather cold, with his head still up he began to notice the princess of the night at work. As stars began to be seen though the orange sky. He took pleasure in seeing them, stars were something rare in heavily polluted towns such as Trottingham. Were most of her majestic work was blotted out by the hoof made factory's and smoke churned from the high red bricked towers and funnels that ironically represented the power of the princesses and there economical power housed empire.

As he lowered his head he noticed from across the plaza Private Black. He was accompanied by Sergeant Cobalt much like a small yappy poodle was always paired with the large noble great Dane. On Cobalt face was a sly grin. Somewhat hard to see though his thick moustache. Never the less he continued moving across the dusted plaza towards the orange stallion, he let out a rather loud yawn rubbing his eye and finally looked down onto him "So.." he began. slightly worrying Sharp due to his flat tone "Let me get this straight, your taking the entire regiment out for drinks?" There was a tone of hesitation in his voice now. Although sharp expected to be scolded for stepping out of rank. Cobat expected some sort of heavy handed hoof and a denial of anything followed by being ordered to clean the toilets with his tongue.

After giving Black a rather annoyed glance he sighed "Apparently so Sergeant." he replied not quite sure when he signed up for this military campaign to the nearest pub or bar...he expected a few friends not the entire regiment. But he was cold tired and frankly he wanted to get as pissed as possible, either way he was going along with it none the less. He was also not quite sure when the heavy hoof wrapped around him and he was forced into a rather manly hug with cobalt, that he was hoping was platonic and "friendly". "Yer going tae be my favourite ranking officer here mate if ya keep this up" with that Cobalt raised said hoof into the air "Now. lets go out and get our muzzles salted!".

And with that the group slowly made there way out the palisaded defences of the military barracks and towards the bustling town followed closely by other separate groups of the red clad colonial ponies. Singing jaunty show tunes and laughing as they made there way to the nearest pub or themed bar that filled the sides of the dust tracks that were the streets of Lunaban.

"On the rocky road tae dub-lin, one tae three fir five!"